Pet Shop Of Horrors Fan Fiction / Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Long Denied ❯ Midday ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Long Denied
Chapter 18: Midday



Leon-


Leon was a very good judge of character. It was part of his job and a necessary life skill. That was the reason why, despite the logic against it, Leon trust D. All evidence and common sense told Leon that D was up to no good, yet he did trust D. So, as Leon waited for the directions to be completed, he studied Ayame's younger brother and decided that he liked the boy.

Ayame had told Leon just about everything about his family and Leon wondered how much he should say. He knew Yuki felt betrayed by his brother and was abused as a child. He knew Yuki was just starting to adjust to normal life, but still harbored bitterness towards Ayame.

"So, how did you meet my brother, if I may ask?" Yuki asked, when he'd finished writing down the directions to the Souma estate. "Are you one of his...er...customers? I didn't get your name."

"Name's Leon Orcot and I'm not a customer. All my clothes are strictly garage sale treasures." Leon had to laugh at himself, a bit self-consciously. He'd seen the price tags on some of Ayame's creations and knew he wouldn't be able to afford even a single shirt with a month's pay, even if he wanted to. Leon knew exactly what kind of clothes Ayame made, but he tried to keep an opened mind. Maybe he could buy D a present here. "We met a long while ago. It was a thing at school, you know when the teachers try to do the whole cultural exchange thing. We got hooked up even though he's a few years older. We just kinda got used to each other, I guess."

Yuki closed his eyes and looked away. "I find it very strange that you're friends with my brother. You are very different." He was looking at Leon as if examining him. "You seem much more down to Earth than my idiot brother."

"Well, what's that old saying? Opposites attract."

"Are you saying...?" Yuki raised an eyebrow.

"No!" Leon growled, at once seeing where the boy was leading. "Geeze, you've got a dirty mind for a kid."

"Kid?" Yuki looked vaguely insulted.

"Look, all I'm saying is you don't have to be just like someone to be friends with them. Didn't you ever have a friend that you liked just because he was entirely different from you? Your brother's done a lot for me over the years and I'm grateful for him." Leon glanced at the written address before stuffing it in his pocket and standing up. He wasn't all that surprised to see how small Yuki was, after all, his brother was also very small. One day, it would be hard to tell the two apart. "You should cut your brother some slack, ya know. He's not really the evil bastard you think he is."

"I don't think he's evil!" Yuki didn't look as angry as Leon thought he should.

"Could have fooled me, kid." This was all to close to home. What if Chris had turned out like Yuki? It was to easy to see Chris turning out as bitter and angry as Yuki. If Leon had done as his aunt and uncle had told him and sent little Chris to the Institute. If he hadn't called his brother back and decided to keep him, no matter how hard it was. Leon was afraid to think how Chris would be left in that cold, sterile environment.

"I am not a kid and I don't think he's evil!" Yuki took a deep breath and turned away in an attempt to calm himself. "I should go now." It was so obvious to Leon that Yuki had something he wanted to say, but wouldn't, that he wanted to grind his teeth.

"Running away never helps anything, kid. I should now."

Yuki looked over his shoulder at Leon and gave him a very cold stare. "You know nothing."

"Maybe." Leon could just tell that this kid thought he had the worst life anyone had ever had. All teenagers did. "But I do know Ayame, probably better than you do. Ya know, he never told me a lie. Never once."

Yuki paled, but Leon wasn't sure why. Maybe he thought his brother had told Leon some terrible secret about him. In truth, Ayame had never had anything but praise to say about Yuki. "Don't look so worried. I got to tell you, kid, you have it better than you know. Your brother's a good man, I don't care what he dresses like or acts like. He's done a lot for me."

This gave Yuki pause and his expression, though still chilly, softened slightly. "Oh?"

"Yup." Leon finished off the last of his coffee. "You should meet my lil' brother, sometime. Our mother died when he was born. Sound familiar? He went to live with other relatives, but I got shipped off to an orphanage. I didn't get to see him again till about a year ago. Damn, but I used to hate him." It was a terrible thing to admit, but if Leon thought Yuki might need this. Besides, Leon was a pretty honest guy and it was the truth, even if he hoped Chris never heard about it. "I hated him so much. He took my mother and, to top it off, he never even knew she existed. He thought our aunt was his mom. I hated that, when I found out. She died for him and he didn't even know she existed!" Leon put down his coffee cup when he realized his hand was starting to tighten around it. Probably wasn't good manners to break Ayame's stuff. "I hated Chris, but when that wore off. I hated myself. Chris couldn't have changed anything, he was a baby. He's still trying to understand that it wasn't his fault. But me? I knew there was something I could have done to save her. I should have done something. Anything. I was a brat, then. What the Hell did I know? I wanted to die. Your brother pulled me through 'cause of his letters and he doesn't even know it. When I heard he went through what I was going through, and that he'd survived, well...it helped." Leon stopped talking for a minute. He didn't like getting so personal with someone he hardly knew. It had taken months before he'd told even D all this stuff. It seemed like Yuki needed to hear this, though. "Ever wonder how Ayame felt when your mom died? I know how he felt, first hand. Cut him some slack. I can still see my mom smiling when my brother smiles and it still hurts. Maybe he sees your mom in you."

"Ayame tends to bring out my worst side. He talks to much." Yuki was icy cold, but Leon could see the fire boiling behind his eyes. "I think you might bring out my worst side, too, Orcot-san."

"Best, worst, who cares? So long as you feel something, it can all get better. When you stop feeling, then you have to worry." Leon shrugged. He must have hit pretty close to the mark for Yuki to be so angry. "Besides, I never really believed in restraining emotions. It's not healthy. You didn't kill your mother. Ayame knows that, now. When you were born, he was just a brat, himself. He just lost his mother and I can tell you that's fucking scary for any kid. He needed time to get over it and he did."

"Ayame told you a lot."

"He tells me pretty much everything."

"He ignored me for most of my life."

"Yeah? And you've never done anything stupid, I guess?"

"So," Yuki gave Leon a slight, sarcastic smile. "You think I should just, 'forgive and forget'?"

"Whatever. It's your business, I guess. Just wanted you to hear from someone in your brother's shoes. He wouldn't tell you, he's too proud. Don't be so hard on him. You might actually like him someday."

"Doubtful."

"But not impossible. Nothing is impossible."

Leon had heard all about Yuki's abusive, neglected childhood from Ayame. Terrible things about foster parents and suicide attempts. To be honest, Leon could tell that Yuki had problems, but he'd seen lots of juveniles going through the precinct who were pretty messed-up. Yuki found out that most of his life was a lie and that his own brother rejected him, but it could have been worse. Leon had met kids who watched their parents kill each other. There was a little girl who was raped by her grandfather. Twin boys who'd been so badly abused that once they'd been rescued from their homes, they'd both committed suicide the minute they'd been left alone. Angry, confused kids were nothing new to Leon, he was once one of them. At least Yuki was lucky enough to have a good family that took care of him. While Leon knew Yuki didn't live with Ayame, he did live with a good-hearted cousin who'd taken him in. A lot of kids Leon had met had it far worse than Yuki.

Leon cast one last look back at the door Jill and Mine-chan had vanished behind and hoped they'd be busy for a couple of hours. He wanted to get this over with before Jill could get hurt. The dream from last night was still making him uneasy and Leon knew he couldn't live with himself if he got any of the people he cared about killed.

Yuki sighed, but bowed politely. "I really should be going."

"Yeah, me, too. Nice to meet you, kid." Leon finished off the last of his coffee and headed for the door. "Think about what I said. Ayame realized he was losing out by cutting you out of his life. Someday, you're going to realize what you lost and, by then, it might be to late."

"Orcot-san?"

"Yeah?"

Yuki looked...different than he had just a moment ago. The boy's whole body language was closed. His arms were crossed over his chest and his head hung forward, making his hair hide half his face. Leon's training shouted at him that Yuki was hiding something he definitely wanted to keep hidden. He looked more tense than when they'd been talking about Ayame. That was just fine with Leon. He knew there were a lot of secrets most people wanted to keep hidden, personal demons that had to be kept that way. Leon had quite a few he hoped would never see the light of day. The biggest of which involved a certain Chinese petshop owner.

"You...you're really planning to go to the estate?" Yuki didn't look up as he spoke and, strangely, Leon saw a small mouse creep out from under the kitchen cupboards and make its way over to Yuki. It perched on Yuki's shining, polished shoe and squeaked up at him.

"Sure am." Leon had a very...uncomfortable feeling all of a sudden. "Any reason I shouldn't?"

Yuki didn't answer for a moment, but when he looked up, there was a haunted look in his eyes. "Be careful, Orcot-san." Yuki bent down and scooped the little grey mouse off his shoe and cradled it in the palm of his hand. "I hope they don't allow you in." With that, Yuki deposited the mouse on the kitchen counter top and strode out as quickly as he could without running. He was gone before Leon could say another word and Leon was glad the kid had gone.

He was shaking terribly and had to take a deep breath to calm himself. 'Damn. I can't believe I told him all that!' It was so unlike Leon to just tell a stranger everything and he felt both exhausted and excited by the effort. He adrenaline was pumping all of a sudden and he felt like he could run a marathon, but he also didn't want to move. 'Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. It's not the kid's business what happened to me and Chris. Didn't look like he cared, anyway.'

"That kid has problems." Leon shook his head as he, too, left the apartment. When he began down the streets in search of the Souma estate, he was still thinking about Yuki. 'I hope the kid works out his demons and talks to Ayame. Something serious is eating at him.' Still, Leon had work to do. He would have to find Kureno and he'd have to hurry. He'd slept away half the day and he'd have to get this over with quickly if he were going to make it to the petshop in time for tea. He hated missing tea with Chris and D.

A quick look at his watch told Leon it was nearly midday.


Yuki-


'Your brother's a good man...He's done a lot for me."

Yuki had heard variations on that over the years, but he'd never quite believed it. He wasn't sure he believed it even now. So what if Ayame's friend could sympathize? It didn't change anything, really. Orcot-san had said it himself, he'd been taken away to an orphanage. He didn't have the chance to be with his brother. Ayame had the chance; he just hadn't wanted to. No. That wasn't true. Not entirely.

'Did you ever wonder how he felt when your mom died? I can see my mom when my brother smiles.'

Yuki had heard once, when he was very young, that Ayame was at their mother's side when she died. Her last words had been to him. 'Well, my good mood's broken.' Yuki sighed. He was just coming to grips with the idea that maybe he hadn't been entirely fair to Akito or Kyou over the years and now he was getting another guilt trip over Ayame. He had a very strong feeling that the day was only going to get worse. 'I suppose I'll go home for some lunch and go job hunting later, Tohru will be expecting me. It's almost midday.'


Kyou-


The phone was ringing.

Kyou groaned when the ringing was finally enough to pull him out of his drug induced sleep. He remembered Hatori visiting and Hatori had a habit of giving people medicine without asking, so Kyou was pretty sure his deep sleep was due to Hatori. It wouldn't be the first time that Hatori had slipped him medication when he wasn't paying attention and Kyou knew for a fact that Hatori had drugged Akito when he started to get to out of hand. There was a sore spot on the inside of his elbow, so Hatori had probably given him a shot of something.

Kyou had almost forgotten that he had the cell phone until just then. He never used it, but it had been a gift from his master, so he never would have just gotten rid of it. It was supposed to be for Kyou's safety. If he ever needed his master, Kyou was to call home immediately and his master would come running. That was the theory and Kyou had never said anything that would disillusion his master.

'Like I'm going to bother him just because I get myself into a bit of trouble. I don't get into trouble I can't get myself out of!' Kyou had silently snorted at the very idea. Being so selfish and demanding of his master was abhorrent to Kyou. 'Master's done so much for me, I'd never make him worry like that. He meant well, but the phone's useless. I'll never use it.' What was there that Kyou couldn't get himself out of? He'd lived on his own for several months and was pretty damned good about taking care of himself. He was stronger than most every other living creature on Earth and could fight his way out of any physical danger. He wasn't the type to go out and get drunk and need a ride home. In reality, except for the whole cursed issue, Kyou led a pretty boring life. He woke up, went to school, and went back to Shigure's house and maybe a little brawling with Yuki. That was pretty much it.

The phone kept ringing.

It wasn't helping Kyou's pounding headache and he was seriously debating on whether to answer the phone when he found it or just smash it. The sound was going right through his poor, throbbing head!

'Who the Hell's calling? I never even told anyone the number.' As he tried to get out of bed, Kyou managed to get himself tangled in the bed sheets and he fell out of bed. That didn't help his aching muscles or his pounding head. "Shit!" The use of colorful language was not something new to Kyou. By the time he managed to get up and shake off the traitorous sheets, the phone was still ringing insistently. "Shut up!" Kyou snapped as he searched for the phone. His room wasn't messy, by any means. In fact, Kyou had very few belonging and what he did have, he kept at home, at the dojo. In this room Shigure had given him, Kyou had nothing but his books, his bed, and his school bag. The problem was that his head was still a bit fuzzy and he couldn't see straight, yet.

"Where the Hell is that damned thing?" Kyou looked around for the ringing, but it seemed to be coming from everywhere.

In his aimless stumbling around the room, Kyou walked into a path of sunlight that shone across his room. 'Ahhhh...' Kyou stopped and let the sunlight warm him. 'That's good.' He could feel his whole body getting warm and waking up. Just as rain made Kyou sleepy and weak, the sunlight always seemed to wake him up. Even now, Kyou could feel the remnants of last night's illness fading away. His head began to clear and his throat, though still a bit raw, was soothed.

Now, Kyou could easily zero in on the phone and he pulled it off his desk, where it had been the whole time in plain sight. "Who are you and what the Hell do you want?!" Kyou barked, still angry at being woken up.

-Kyou, is that anyway to answer the phone? People are going to think you have no manners.-

Kyou almost dropped the phone, he was so surprised by the smooth voice. "Master?"

-Who were you expecting? I hope you don't always answer the phone like that, cursing and yelling.-

"No, master, of course not." Kyou had completely lost his anger at Kazuma's voice. "Ummm...I was just sleeping and it kind of surprised me. You woke me up."

-I see. So, you were stumbling around, searching for it blindly and when you found it, it was right in plain sight. Am I right?- He sounded as if he were trying not to laugh.

"Yes, master." Kyou blushed, even though Kazuma couldn't see him. He didn't always wake up like that, unlike Yuki, but it had happened often enough for Kazuma to guess what had happened. "It's not my fault. I slept in and I just woke up to quickly."

-Really? And here I thought it was because you were sick last night.-

"What?" Kyou hadn't wanted Kazuma to know. He didn't want to look weak in front of anyone, but least of all in front of Kazuma. "Who told you?"

-Honda-san called and told me early this morning. She said she thought I would like to know and I do. I hope you aren't angry with her.-

Angry? With Tohru? Kyou didn't think he could ever be really angry with her. "Naw. I guess not." Kyou fell silent, not sure what he should say. Tohru was always doing things like this, always thinking about everyone else. "She...didn't tell you what was wrong with me, did she?" He was glad to hear from his master, but hoped his master hadn't worried about him. With luck, Tohru hadn't told Kyou's master that he'd woken up with nightmares.

-Only that you had a fever and woke up very...loudly.- Kazuma paused. -How are you feeling? I've tried calling several times, but no one's answered. I was going to come over before I thought to try the phone I gave you.- He laughed softly. -I was afraid you'd gotten rid of it.-

"No, master, I kept it." Kyou ran a hand through his hair and decided that since he was up, he should get up properly. He took off the boxer shorts he normally slept in and went to find his pants. "I'm fine. You didn't have to call. You must be busy with classes and things."

-Not so busy that I can't call. I want to come see you, just to make sure. I worry.-

"Yeah, I know you do, but you shouldn't. I'm strong. It was just a stupid fever and I'm better now. You don't have to..."

-Yes, I do.- Kazuma replied firmly.-You are dear to me, Kyou, whether you know it or not. I worry and I will make sure that you are all right. Now, I'm coming over tonight. Please don't tell Honda-san that she must make a dinner for me. I'm coming to see you, not to eat. I wouldn't want to inconvenience her.-

There was no point in arguing, as Kyou had learned long ago. "Yes, master." A kinder man had never been born, but Kazuma was also a Souma. He was used to getting whatever he wanted.

While Kyou held the phone to his ear with his shoulder and struggled into his khaki pants by hopping around, his eyes drifted out the window and into the front garden. He stopped hopping into his pants at once, letting them fall to the floor, and moved closer to the window. "That's weird." He muttered. He put one hand against the windowsill of the open window as he looked out.

-Kyou? Is something wrong?- Kazuma's concerned voice reminded Kyou that he still had the phone at his ear.

"Huh? Oh. No. I just looked out the window. Shigure's out there with someone I've never seen. Weird looking person, too."

-Oh?-

Shigure, dressed in his usual grey kimono, stood in the path that led to the front door of the house. Several yards in front of Shigure stood the stranger, though he looked very familiar, even at this distance. There was something odd about the way Shigure was standing. He looked tense. Like he was ready to fight. "Hey, master?"

-Yes?-

"Shigure doesn't fight, does he?" Kyou had never seen Shigure get violent with anyone. As far as Kyou knew, Shigure had no interest in fighting.

-Not often.-

"Looks like he's going to fight now. He's in a fighting stance. He's going to attack some guy in the front garden." Kyou once again grabbed his pants and started to pull them on, this time even more quickly. If that idiot was in trouble, he was going to need help. Lazy Shigure couldn't possibly be any good in a fight.' Kyou broke off the conversation with Kazuma quickly, before his master could say anything else. "I gotta go, master. That idiot's going to get himself killed. Shit!" Though they were still yards apart, and the stranger did nothing that Kyou could see, Shigure lunged forward before collapsing very suddenly.

-Kyou, wait...-

Kyou hung up and dropped the phone before he started running down stairs. He couldn't leave Shigure on his own. As soon as Kyou reached the bottom of the stairs, he saw Yuki and Tohru at the table, eating lunch, completely unaware that their benefactor was about to get a beating. Pervert or not, Shigure was family and Kyou had no intention of letting his family get hurt.


Papa D-


Everything was working out so well. Just a few more minutes to go. Timing was everything.


11:40am
At the Souma estate-
Akito-


Alone in his to empty house, Akito was starting to feel the walls closing in around him. It was an awful room. The floor was highly polished wood and the walls were the same wood. It was a very dull, very empty room. Just being in the room made Akito feel cold.

"Where is Kureno?!" He demanded, though he was alone in the audience chambers he used for visitors. "He said he wouldn't be long, what's taking him? He promised he'd come right back." Akito hated being alone. It felt like Kureno had been gone for hours and for those hours, Akito had been alone in his home, waiting for the rooster's return.

Akito didn't like being alone.

(You never like anything. You might as well get used to being alone. Kureno's going to leave, soon.)

"Kureno won't leave me. I own him." Akito's fear was growing. He didn't want to be alone. He wanted to talk to someone who wouldn't yell at him. Shigure was the only person who knew that Akito could hear his reflection talking to him, but Shigure wasn't there. It wouldn't make any difference, anyway. Shigure couldn't make the reflection go away.

(Yes, I know.) Akito's reflection followed him out to the porch and sat, dangling his feet over the edge. (You bought him. Just like a slave. How nice to think you can inspire such loyalty. Ha! If you hadn't bought him, he wouldn't love you, either.) The reflection looked up at the passing clouds.

"Shut up!" Akito snarled. "You don't know anything!"

(I know everything you know. We're the same person.)

Akito's hands balled into fists and he tried to control himself. The terrible fear building inside him was threatening to take control of Akito. He almost couldn't bear it. Maybe his reflection was right. Maybe Kureno was just serving him because Akito owned him. Kureno had always seemed grateful, but...what if that was all it was? Grateful that he hadn't gone with those other people. Whoever those men had been, Kureno had seemed very afraid to go with them.

(Someday, you'll see that I'm always right.) The reflection put both hands around Akito's shoulders until they were virtually hugging. The reflection pressed its cheek against Akito's and it felt warmer than Akito's. (I'm the only one who really cares for you. The only one who can protect you.)

"You can't protect me, you're not real. No one can see or hear you. You can't do anything but talk."

(You think so?) The reflection caressed Akito's face. (I'll never leave you. I can make you do things, like no one else can. I'm not afraid, like you are. I'm not afraid of anything, not the world outside these walls and not the normal people who threaten our family. Even when we die, I won't be afraid. I'll die with you. I feel everything you feel. Do you understand? I'm the only one who really understands you.)

His reflection was the one person Akito couldn't run away from and couldn't fight. He wasn't sure he wanted to, anymore. It was sort of a comfort to know his reflection could feel what he felt. Still, he never felt comfortable around his other self. It was better than being alone, though. He'd tried.

So Akito watched his garden over the shoulder of his reflection, enjoying the soft breeze and the song birds. He loved his birds. They were always here. The warm summer would give way to autumn, soon. The leaves would fade and fall and then snow would blanket the estate, putting everything to sleep.

'Fall...the season of death.' Lately, in the quiet of the night, Akito thought he could feel himself dying. He felt tired, right down to his bones. So tired that he never wanted to even get out of bed. Hatori was starting to worry for him.

(No. Hatori doesn't even care.) The reflection told Akito. (He took the side of that girl, didn't he? Did he obey when you told her to take her memory? No. That traitor just sat there, gaping. He didn't move to help you.)

But Akito was thinking of another time. When he cried on Hatori's lap after Junko had died. How Hatori had held him and hadn't let Ren take him away without a fight. "No." Akito said firmly. "No, Hatori's not a traitor. He wouldn't hurt me." He knew Hatori would never hurt him any more than Shigure would. Akito pushed away from his reflection and went a little further into his garden.

Akito had long since gotten used to having his reflection appear at random times. How strange it was to have to look at himself all the time. Akito stopped pacing by the wide doorway that led to his garden and looked at his reflection, who sat in his place on the raised dais. It was a place of honor, but one that Akito didn't especially enjoy. Akito's reflection was just that, his exact reflection, but Akito knew it wasn't real. No one could see or hear it, except Akito.

"Why won't you go away?" It was a question Akito had asked many times over the years, but he'd never gotten an answer. He didn't really expect one now.

The reflection smiled. (Why don't you call one of the others? If you're so lonely and my company displeases you, call Hatsuharu over and you can have a nice little chat.)

"Hatsuharu's not here. He's at the hospital with Rin, still." Akito nearly spit the words out as he remembered seeing them, Hatori, Hatsuharu, and Momiji all drive off with Rin to the hospital. "None of them have come back, yet. I don't know why they're so concerned. She's the one who was wrong. I had to punish her. She was saying bad things about Shigure."

(Yes, I know. I understand.) The reflection's voice was mocking where moments ago it had been loving and supportive. (They love her so much and she's done nothing for them, has she? How long has it been since Hatori came to see you? It's been a couple of days, hasn't it?) The reflection ran his hand through his hair and Akito turned away from him. It was getting to easy to think of the reflection as himself. As if it knew his thoughts, the reflection smiled. (Don't turn from me, Akito. I'm the only one you can trust.)

Akito didn't respond, but went into his garden. The reflection didn't follow him.

He needed Kureno with him, especially now. Maybe he'd made a mistake with Rin. Akito just wasn't sure. He'd been so angry when he'd heard her talking about Shigure and then with his reflection urging him on...it just happened. It seemed like the right thing to do at the time. 'Maybe...maybe I should have asked Shigure, first. Shigure always knows what to do. I want to talk to Shigure.' Akito didn't get to talk to Shigure as often as he wanted to, but this was one of those times when he thought he had to.

Actually, Akito had seen Shigure only a few days ago, when he'd brought that girl to him. Tohru. She'd wanted an audience, but when Akito had her brought to him, she just sat there like an idiot and said she didn't know what she wanted.

Akito still didn't understand that girl. She'd been with them for more than a year, knew most of the secrets, and knew how wealthy the family was. For all that, she didn't seem to want anything more than a place to sleep. She'd never asked for anything. Not even once. That was something Akito had no experience with. He thought she would leave. After all the trouble. Especially after she'd seen the horrible cat in his true form. She should have left. Everyone else had always left. 'But she didn't. I wonder why.' She'd even shown concern for Akito, something that people rarely did. 'I hurt her.' He could understand it if she were one of his Junikyu, but she wasn't. She had no reason to keep him happy or stay near the family. Of course, she had a house to live in at Shigure's, maybe that was her reason for staying. She just wanted to make sure Akito let her stay in the house.

(She will leave. In the end. They'll all leave. Don't you remember what you told Yuki? If normal people knew about you, it would sicken them. They'd stay away from you. You'd be forced to live alone.) The reflection stood next to Akito and stared intently at his face. (Why should you be any better off than your family? You know she'll get tired of your temper tantrums and she won't want to be hurt anymore. She'll leave you and the family. I wonder, though,) It gave Akito a smug look. (If they'll follow her? You see how they love her. She doesn't hurt them, like you do. Maybe they'll want to be with her instead of you. Maybe you should get rid of her.)

"What are you talking about?" Akito was trying not to cry. He was god, he wasn't supposed to cry. "They won't leave me." He wrapped his arms around himself, but he couldn't stop shaking.

(Look at yourself!) The reflection said, nearly spitting at Akito. (What a pitiful sight. No one's ever going to respect you. They can't possibly trust you, anymore. You tried to kill Rin.)

"I didn't!" Akito suddenly found himself in the same place of absolute terror he had when Ren had accused him of killing Yahiko. He didn't want to kill anyone. He didn't want to hurt anyone, but he had to take care of his family. Rin was being bad, she had to be taught not to be bad. "You said..."

(Do you always do what you're told, fool? No matter what reasons you had, they all know you tried to kill Rin. This isn't like that other time. Yahiko's death was Ren's fault. Everyone tried to defend you. Who's going to defend you now? Hatsuharu who loves Rin or Kagura who's practically her sister? Maybe you think Hatori will help you.)

"Hatori came back to me!" Akito clung to that thought. Even after he'd hurt Hatori so badly, Hatori had come quickly back. He'd come back while his eye was still bandaged.

(He knew that was an accident, but how much can he forgive? You chased away the love of his life. Kana was the only woman he'd ever loved and he knows you tried to hurt her. Now you tried to kill his young cousin. How could even he forgive this? Shigure will never forgive you.)

It was all too much. Akito felt completely overwhelmed. "I didn't want to kill her! You know that!" Akito fell to his knees all of a sudden and the shock of it stopped his yelling. "What's wrong with my legs? I can't move my legs." His voice sounded dead, even to him. It felt like they weren't even there, from his waist down.

The reflection squatted next to Akito and gave him an appraising look. It poked at one of his numb leg. (Hmmm...looks like you should start to serious start thinking about an heir.)

"An...heir?"

(Of course. You'll need one, now that you're finally going to die. I'd say you haven't got much time left.)

When Akito looked up to his reflection, desperate for an answer, he found himself alone. "Don't leave me alone. Please, don't leave me alone!" His eyes burned with tears of fear. Now, even his reflection was gone. He was completely alone.

"What the Hell's wrong with you, kid?"

Akito turned his head sharply to find a very tall foreigner standing behind him. He was dressed in jeans with an old looking t-shirt. His hands were in his pockets and his head cocked slightly to one side as he looked at Akito with a puzzled expression. Akito's first thoughts, on seeing the man, were that he looked like a grown-up Momiji, what with the wavy blonde hair that fell around his shoulders.

"Who are you?" Akito demanded, guardedly. He'd never had to meet a stranger alone, before. If there was business that had to be done with an outsider, he always had Kureno or Hatori with him. This man was definitely NOT a Souma.

"Just passing through." The blonde man shrugged. He spoke with a heavy, ugly accent. He was ugly with a broad, blunt face and quite dark skin. "So, what's the problem, kid? You look like the world just ended."

Akito ignored the insolent question. "You can't be just passing though. No one just passes through the estate. How did you get passed the guards?" Akito wished he could stand. He felt very vulnerable on the ground with this stranger looking down at him. What if this man was dangerous? All outsiders were threats, he might hurt the family. Akito would kill him first.

The man laughed. "Your guards need better training and your wall isn't all that tall. I just climbed over when they wouldn't let me in." The stranger came closer and squatted down in front of Akito. "I don't suppose you can help me, kid? I'm looking for someone...umm...is there a reason you're just sitting in the mud?"

"Because my legs aren't working, you idiot! Something's wrong with them and I need Hatori!" Akito exploded. He suddenly felt like crying. He was dying and this fool was just standing around asking stupid questions! He wished he had something to throw at this stupid, ugly foreigner.

The stranger smacked Akito on the side of the head. "Don't get pissy, brat. Who's Hatori?"

"My doctor." Akito rubbed his head. No one had ever hit him before, not like that, anyway. Ren had used to hurt him, but this hadn't really hurt. "Don't hit me, don't you know who I am?!" Akito thought everyone knew who he was.

"Are you Kureno?"

"Kureno? No. I'm Akito."

"Oh. To bad. Well, then, I don't care who you are." He looked at Akito's legs again then poked one of them with a large, blunt finger. "You really can't feel your legs?" He sighed. "Jeeze, this just got more complicated. Oh, well. Let's go find your doctor, kid. I think I passed a hospital on my way here." He didn't hesitate a moment before he scooped up Akito and picked him up. "Shouldn't take long to get you there. Where're your parents? We should tell them where you're going." He started away with long strides towards the front gates of the estate.

Akito was so taken aback by the brash stranger that, for a minute, he did nothing but hang on for fear that the stranger would drop him. "What do you think you're doing?! Put me down!" Akito put his hands on the stranger's chest and tried to push away, but the stranger was far stronger and didn't even break stride.

"Stop squirming, kid, you'll fall. You gonna tell me where your parents are or am I gonna get nabbed for kidnapping if I just take you off?"

"I'm hardly a child. My parents have nothing to do with me." That was true. Akito had never met his parents and he had no desire to. Really.

"Right." The man laughed at this. "You can't be more than what? Fifteen?"

"I'm nineteen!" Akito said indignantly. All right, so he was small. That was hardly his fault. He wasn't a child!

The man carried Akito all the way through the estate, towards the front gate. All the while, he was at the receiving end of many incredulous stares and hasty bows when they realized who this stranger was carrying.

"Boy, you Japanese folks sure are polite." The stranger commented.

"They aren't bowing to you!" Akito could hate this man. "Who are you?" He asked, certain that he'd already asked it once. He could call out just one order and this man would be stopped. He could have this man killed, easily. Yet, Akito said nothing. 'He really doesn't know who I am.' It was the first time in a very long time that Akito had met someone who had no clue about who he was. The stranger wanted to help him even though he thought Akito was just some common, ordinary boy.

"I'm Leon. Right, then. I think the hospital was this way..." The stranger walked right through the front gates, while the estate guards stared in disbelief. They all looked at Akito for some signal for what to do, but Akito wanted no help from them. They hadn't even been able to stop Leon from getting onto the estate, so what good would they be now. It wasn't like he was being kidnapped, after all. How this man knew Hatori was at the Hospital taking care of Rin, Akito had no idea.

Outside the front gate, Akito saw a small white car parked at the sidewalk, just a short way from the front gate. The woman in the front seat looked very familiar. In fact...

"Hey," Leon said, happily, as he looked to the right at three children walking towards the front gates of the estate. "There's my kid brother. Ya wanna meet him?"


11:50am
Shigure-


'Why hasn't he called? It's been almost two hours, it shouldn't take this long. Even if he could find the Kami, Hatori should have called or...or something.' Shigure turned another page of the diary, trying to ease his anxiety. It didn't help. For all he knew, Hatori was dead and there was nothing he could do to help. He had to stay with Kyou and wait for the Kami to attack. 'What if something did happen? Hatori's no fighter. He should have waited for Ayame or me. He's so stubborn! What am I going to tell Ayame if Hatori is dead...no. I can't think like that. He's all right. He must be.' Shigure sighed and couldn't help but feel defeated even before the battle had begun. He was just a man. How could he fight a Kami?

The pages of the diary were dry and, even as Shigure turned them he noticed that they were starting to crumble with age. The diary wouldn't last much longer. It didn't matter. There likely wouldn't be a next generation of Souma's, if Count D had his way. Maybe that was all for the best. If they were destroyed now, no more children would have to go through the terrible pain of simply being one of the cursed.

'I can't think like that.' Shigure mentally shook himself. 'It's starting to get better, now. Yuki's getting stronger. Kyou's controlling his temper. Hatori's starting to get over Kana. Even Akito...he showed mercy to Tohru. It's starting to get better, I can't give up on us, not now! I promised I'd save us all. I promised Toma I'd make sure the cat was allowed into the family. We've all gone through so much, I can't give up.' His eyes narrowed as his fingers ran lightly over the words written by his predecessors and he imagined all the past generations of Souma's who'd lived and died with the pain of being cursed. Never being allowed simple human contact, to always have to be reserved and cautious. 'I will NOT give up!'

Once, long ago, Shigure had vowed that he would save his family. He had promised himself that he would save them from themselves; Junko had told him that the family needed to be protected from themselves. She had been right. His family was so sick and there seemed to be nothing Shigure could do to help them.

Kyou. It all rested on Kyou, Shigure was sure. It was in the book, just as Inu had written. The cat was...something. Inu hadn't come right out and said what the cat was or why it was important to the family. The way Inu had written it, made it sound as if the cat was more important and more powerful than even the head of the family.

It would have saved Shigure a lot of trouble if his ancestor had bothered to just say what was so special about the cat, why the family depended on the cat so much.

Shigure tried to imagine Kyou being more important than Akito, but it seemed impossible. All of his life, Shigure had been taught that the cat was nothing, a monster, even among the freakish Junikyu and not to be trusted. That was what the whole family was told. Shigure couldn't believe it, though. Not after knowing Toma and now Kyou. He'd watched Kyou grow-up and it was hard to imagine the shy little bookworm Shigure had known for so long as a dangerous monster.

Someone was outside.

Shigure watched the man from the window just over his desk. 'It's not a man, it's a Kami. It's him.' Shigure's hands tightened on the sides of the open window. 'Oh, god, it's him.' Shigure's sharp eyes focused on the face of the waiting man. Narrow, clever eyes and long dark hair that hung nearly to his shoulders. His skin was unnaturally white, like the white face of a geisha. 'He's found us.' Shigure had no logical reason for believing that the man in his front garden was Count D, only a feeling. 'What do I do?'

There was so much he wanted to do, so much he'd never have the chance now. He'd never finish writing his story. He'd never get to tell Akito...

'This is it.' Shigure realized, feeling numb all over. On his desk, for the first time since Rin had found the Dog's Diary little more than a week ago, Shigure had decided to look at it. The diary reminded Shigure of all the fruitless promises he'd made over the years. 'All these years, and it's all over. Count D has returned.'

In the front garden the Kami stood with his hands clasped serenely in front of him. He was elegant looking, in an outfit that looked as if it cost more than Shigure's house and his skin inhumanly white. Shigure knew this was Count D. There could be no other person like this and, with his window open and a favorable breeze, Shigure could find no scent. He couldn't find a scent after Count D had left Ayame's house.

Count D lifted his face and looked directly at Shigure.

'I guess now I understand what was bothering Hatori.' Though Count D was smiling, he was definitely not human. Shigure knew that, but it didn't terrify him so much as it had Hatori. Though Hatori was very good at keeping his emotions under control, Shigure could tell when something really bothered him. 'I wonder what Hatori inherited from the dragon?' Every one of the Junikyu had one attribute from their animal, but Hatori was a bit of a mystery. After all, no one had ever seen a real dragon, so they didn't know what a dragon was like. Everyone had just assumed that Hatori had gotten his talent to steal memories from the dragon, but maybe Hatori could 'see' Count D for what he truly was. How frightening would that be?

Shigure hated not being in control. There was to much that could go wrong if he wasn't in control. He had no idea what was going on and he was completely helpless to save his family. Feeling slightly faint, Shigure extinguished his cigarette and took off his glasses, folding them carefully on his desk. 'I guess I won't be needing them after this.' He knew would likely die in the next few minutes.

As he made his way out of the house, Shigure paused in the living room. Kyou was still sleeping off his sickness, Tohru was setting out lunch while, Yuki was telling Tohru about the job hunt he'd gone on earlier that day.

"I'm going out for a bit." Shigure announced with, what he hoped, was his normal careless tone. "Don't hold lunch for me, Tohru-kun."

She smiled at him. "As you like, Shigure-san. When will you be home?"

Shigure had to struggle to keep the smile on his face as he knew that he probably wouldn't be returning. From what he'd gathered from Inu's diary, Count D would probably kill him now. He'd killed the first cat, so why not a dog? "As soon as I can. Everyone, take care." If Shigure had to die, he would die defending his family. 'There was so much I wanted to do before I die.' Shigure's heart began to beat faster and faster. 'I promised to make the family healthy and I was willing to do anything. I put innocent Tohru-kun in danger by exposing her to Akito. I hurt Akito by slowly taking away members of the family. I let Momiji see what Hatori did to his mother so Momiji would have a better home with Hatori. I kept secrets and lied to the people I love. I guess it was all for nothing, in the end.'

So Shigure left the house and closed the door firmly behind him. The man was still waiting in the front garden and Shigure squared his shoulders. The time for playing the clown was done.

"Greetings." The man said softly, giving Shigure a slight bow. "I've been waiting to meet you, dog of the Zodiac."

Shigure ignored the pleasantries. "You can't have my children." His voice hard, Shigure faced the enemy of his family. He remembered the first page of the diary and the faded, ancient drawing of the Count D, the one who'd so injured the Souma family. It was exactly the same face. In the most terrifying moment of his life Shigure stood firm. "I'll kill you before I let you have my children." He would. If he died in the effort, Shigure would kill Count D.

"You seem to know me." The Kami's voice was like liquid chocolate and threatened to roll over Shigure's mind into a stupor. "I believe you have made a mistake."

Shigure shook his head to keep himself out of the Kami's spell. "I know enough and there is no mistake. Leave us alone." Shigure had no intention of letting Count D just walk away. If he could get the Kami to turn his back, though, Shigure intended to attack. If he could get his hands around that delicate looking neck, maybe he could strangle the Kami. It was a problem Shigure had hoped he'd never have to worry about. How does one kill a Kami?

"What you want is not an issue. I have what your family needs. You have such problems and so much pain, hanging over your family like a black cloud."

Shigure hunched down slightly and his lips flared back away from his teeth. "I won't let you have them." He repeated, his vision narrowing down until he was totally focused on Count D. Without another moment's hesitation, Shigure charge, running full force at Count D.

There was no fear on the face of Count D.

Shigure collapsed when he was just feet from Count D. As if all of his energy vanished very suddenly, Shigure found that he could no longer stand or even move. He was completely helpless and fell to his knees, but he was close enough that one hand caught on Count D's robes and he hung on desperately, even after the fall.

"Poor dog."

Shigure hated the voice. This was where he'd die. It was all so pitiful. In the end, he hadn't even been able to do a single thing to defend the family. The children were still in the house, completely unaware of any danger. 'I should have told them to run. Should have warned them.'

A hand landed on Shigure's head, petting him gently. "You are so afraid. I will not harm your children and I am no danger to your family. You know only part of the story." The hand brought such bliss, it was as if all the problems and worries in Shigure's life vanished at that simple touch.

"Get away..." Shigure's voice lacked any rancor. He could barely move. His whole body felt very pleasant. The world looked much nicer now that the pretty man was touching him.

"Hey! You!" It was Kyou's voice that shouted and Shigure managed to turn his head just enough to see Kyou running towards them.

A black shadow flew out of the sky. It looked like a shadow, though how a shadow could be fluttering through the air in the middle of the day, Shigure had no idea. It swooped closer and closer until Shigure could see the face of the shadow. The stark white face was the same as that of Count D, whose hands were still on Shigure. Long dark hair, longer even than Ayame's, swirled in the wind behind him. The shadow flew low over them before it grabbed Kyou by one arm, carrying him into the air. The shadow took the kicking and swearing Kyou right back to Kyou's bedroom, through the open bedroom window.

'Two of them?'

Count D scowled at where the shadowy flying person had vanished into Kyou's bedroom. "Papa?" Count D moved to go, but Shigure hung onto his robes as tightly as he could. "You must release me." Count D said kindly as he started to pry open Shigure's clenched fingers. "Your cat is in great danger."

"You'll hurt him." Shigure felt so damned weak! Count D easily opened Shigure's hand, but held it for a moment. Shigure sobbed as he thought about the poor, innocent children at the mercy of this monster and that black shadow. "They're just children. They haven't lived yet. Please...don't hurt my children."

"I give you my word, I will not harm your children." The hands of Count D vanished just a moment before he went flying up to Kyou's room, too.

Shigure was left alone in his front garden, unable to move or speak, and laying in the mud. 'Two of them. I don't understand.' It was only a heartbeat before the brilliant colored Count D flew out of the window and raced as quickly as he could away from Shigure's house, not even bothering to look at Shigure when he passed.


Kyou-


There was no way Kyou was going to let his older cousin get attacked in their own home! Shigure was an idiot, but he was family!

"Hey! You!" He got no further when something seized him by the arms and, before he knew what was happening, he was airborne. "Fuck!" He screamed, but the flight didn't last long. He barely had time to look down and see the horrified look on the face of the man with Shigure before he was thrown into his bedroom. Whatever had picked him up off the ground released him and Kyou rolled across the floor and managed to stop his roll before he hit the wall.

When Kyou looked up, ready to fight, there was a man standing over him. A man who reminded Kyou, at first, of a geisha he'd once seen. An unnaturally white face with bright make-up. Long, long hair that flowed like water over his shoulders and far down his back. He recognized the face at once as the dreadful man in his nightmare. 'This isn't happening.' Kyou told himself. 'Nightmares aren't real. Maybe I'm still sleeping.'

"Ah...my sweet cat. How I've missed you."

Kyou had a very bad feeling about this.


12:00 Midday-
Count D-


D wasn't really all that surprised to see his papa. He knew his papa was watching this family, ever since he'd gotten a phone call from his papa back in San Francisco. 'Curse his timing!' D thought, petting the hand of the black haired dog one last time before he gave chase. If he was going to help this family, the first thing he had to do was get his papa away from them.

He found his papa smiling at the cat, who was crouched on the floor, one hand itching for the bracelet on his wrist.

D's eyes were, for just a moment, glued on that bracelet. It was apart of him, he knew it without being told. He couldn't fight his papa and win, that was impossible. He simply wasn't strong enough and never would be. "Papa..."

"Ah, my dear child. It has been such a long time since we've been together." Papa D didn't look at D when he spoke but kept his eyes on the young cat.

The dog had been right, this cat was nothing but a child. D could also see why his papa wanted the cat. 'He has such potential.' In one moment, D realized the secret of the cat and what it was truly supposed to be. It was the bracelet that caused all the pain in this family. 'I have to get the bracelet off him!'

The cat attacked, launching himself at Papa D, but Papa D was to fast and lashed out with one hand. Papa D's razor sharp fingernails slashed at the cat's face and he fell, one hand at his face. He didn't cry out, though, just sat on the floor and shook, trying to control his pain, no doubt.

Papa D licked at the blood on his fingernails, savoring each drop as though it were honey. "Delicious." He muttered. He moved quickly, seizing the cat's wrist with the bracelet and holding it high over the cat's head.

"Don't touch me!" The cat snarled, pulling at his arm desperate to get free.

"Hush, now." Papa D put his other hand around the cat's throat and held him securely. "This will only take a moment."

"No!" D shouted, taking hold of his papa's arm. "You can not do this, he is a child!"

Papa D wasn't going to be accommodating, though. "I think it must be nearly midday, don't you?" He gave D a very nasty smile.

"What are you..." He didn't finish. There was a terrible burst of pain in his back and D knew Leon had been injured.

"You felt that?" Papa D's smiled faltered. "Such weakness. I should expect nothing less from you. Imperfect and ugly as you are. You have allowed yourself to become tied to that human of yours. Still, it is interesting. I only meant for the woman to steal that child of yours, what do you call him? Christopher?"

D's eyes opened wide in fear. What had his papa done to Chris? What was wrong with Leon?

The pain in D's back only intensified, but he feared what would happen if he left his papa here with such a creature of power at this cat. The pain surged again and D forgot all about the Zodiac family and the helpless children at his papa's mercy. He turned and left, feeling slightly guilty about doing so, though not enough to change his mind. No matter what the circumstance, Leon was far more important than this Zodiac family. D raced passed the dog, still laying in the garden, and made his way towards Leon.


Papa D-


He watched his only child run towards the human he'd allowed himself to become attached to. 'That fool.' Then he turned his attention back to the struggling boy in his hands. "Now, we will take care of that little problem of yours."

"I don't have a problem!" The cat aimed a punch at Papa D, but his arm wasn't quite long enough.

"You just do not know it, yet. Let us rid you of that filthy human blood." He began the process of pulling the human pollution out of the beautiful cat. "You need purification."

The young cat screamed.


Downstairs-
Tohru-


There was a hard thump from upstairs and both Yuki and Torhu looked up.

"Kyou probably just fell out of bed." Yuki suggested, though he didn't look entirely convinced.

"Maybe we should check on him." Tohru began to rise, worried about her friend. Kyou was always so kind to her and she wanted to make sure he was all right. After all, when she'd gotten sick, he'd made soup for her and she hadn't made him anything to eat. Yuki had told her that when Kyou got sick, on very rare occasions, he didn't like to eat. "He might have hurt himself, he's still not well, after all."

"I wouldn't." Yuki turned back to his lunch and picked up his teacup. "Kyou's tough and a little fall won't hurt him, even if he is sick. Besides, the last thing he wants is for you to see him looking foolish. Just leave him be."

Tohru reluctantly did as Yuki told her, but she told herself that she'd bring him up some tea later. He hadn't eaten all day and that couldn't be good for him. Still, Kyou was one of the proudest people Tohru had ever met. He would rather die than look silly.

A scream pierced the air so suddenly and so loudly that Yuki was surprised and dropped his tea cup, shattering it on the table.

"That's Kyou!" Tohru cried, jumping to her feet, just moments after Yuki. They raced up the stairs with Yuki taking them two at a time and Tohru just behind him. The scream went on and on, endlessly. It was a terrible sound, like someone were ripping Kyou's soul out.

Yuki yanked open the door of Kyou's bedroom and stepped only one step inside before he froze and Tohru put a hand to her mouth from the horror of what she saw.

Kyou was on his knees before an elaborately dressed stranger with long hair. The stranger held one of Kyou's hands high above his head, so high that Kyou's arm was in danger of dislocating. The stranger's other hand was wrapped tightly around Kyou's throat. Kyou's eyes were wide and staring, pinpoints of red, and, as he screamed, blood trickled from the corner of his mouth. His entire body was tensed and rigid, so stiff that Tohru could see the veins standing out on Kyou's arms.

Yuki's eyes narrowed down to slats and he charged the stranger.

"Little rat?" The stranger released Kyou's throat and caught Yuki by his. The moment his throat was free, Kyou nearly collapsed, panting for breath, and was held upright only by the stranger holding his arm. "You should not overestimate yourself."

It was the first time Tohru had ever seen Yuki so effortlessly, so cleanly, stopped dead in his tracks. Tohru knew Yuki was remarkably strong and even faster than he was strong, but it was as if he was nothing compared to this awful stranger. The stranger threw Yuki like a rag doll, and he crashed into Tohru before she had a chance to move. A puff of smoke and Yuki was a small rat.

The stranger blinked and seemed surprised. "She affects you? A common bird? How odd. I suppose it only proves the power of the mind over reality." His hand went back to Kyou's throat. Kyou's body tensed again and the screamed resumed.

Tohru looked down at Yuki, now powerless, and then to the stranger who was torturing Kyou, though Tohru couldn't figure out how. How could a simple touch hurt Kyou so much? 'I have to do something!' She stood shakily. 'I-I can't just sit here!' She was afraid, she knew she couldn't possibly fight anyone who could beat Yuki or Kyou so easily. Kyou was screaming. Yuki was helpless. Shigure was nowhere to be seen. 'I have to.' Tohru ran to the stranger and latched onto the arm that was holding Kyou's arm above his head. "Let him go!" Tohru cried.

The strange turned his eyes on Tohru and she felt her insides start to quake. "Common bird. Ugly, plain thing." He said. "You are of no interest to me." He released Kyou's hand long enough to throw Tohru back.

Tohru sailed back before she could even scream and went right out the open window. In just a split second, watching the ground getting closer and closer, Tohru's heart froze and she realized something, for the first time since her mom had died. 'I don't want to die!' She closer her eyes and everything changed.


Sofu-


Sofu D watched when the girl fell and watched as she changed. The poor child had no idea of who she was, but now her body forced her to remember. As she fell, about half way to the earth, her body suddenly shrank. Her empty dress fluttered to the earth and the only remnants of the girl was a tiny ball of feathers, which Sofu D caught in his strong hands.

He looked down at the small brown and grey bird and smiled at her. "Beautiful child. Stay with me a while. I have much to do." The little nightingale was trembling when she looked up at him with eyes like tiny black jewels. "Come with me and I shall take you somewhere safe." Sofu D opened his billowing black robes and tucked the little Tohru-nightingale into a pocket. She would be safe there, while he dealt with his son.

He could have interfered at any time, but it was best this way. The cat would have to lose its humanity and there was no way to lessen the pain. Better to let the one already guilty of the crime to correct at least part of it. The cat would blame the guilty one and that was as it should be. There was no sense in making this remarkable family bitter against the youngest D or Sofu for undoing what had been done.

The screaming stopped very suddenly and Sofu knew it was over. When he entered the room, he saw the tiny, frantic rat scurrying on the floor near the unconscious cat. Sofu's child stood over the cat. The cat twitched involuntarily every few seconds and blood was flowing freely from it's ears, nose, and mouth. Even small drops of blood leaked from the child's eyes, as if he were crying blood.

"Father?!"

"Did you not expect me?" Sofu approached slowly, knowing he had the advantage. There was no struggle, no question of who was superior in this situation. "Surely you did not think I would leave my precious grandchild alone where you might get to close to him. And this?" He looked at the rat, now perfectly still and watching the conversation between the two Kami. "It is time for your crime to be corrected. Now my grandchild is strong enough to be left on his own and I will have that bracelet. You have caused much pain. All for the sake of his blood." Sofu pointed at the cat. "This will be tolerated no longer. Leave."

Sofu's child was furious, his madness shining through his eyes, but he turned and fled.

"Who are you!?" It was the little rat who spoke and Sofu bent down to look at him. The little rat looked as angry as a rat could, but Sofu could also tell the child was frightened.

Sofu reached one finger down and gave the rat a little pat on the head. "A word of advice, though. The young lady who was with you..."

"Tohru? Where is she?" The rat demanded.

"Safe. However, she is not a human girl. You need no change your shape when embraced by her. That is all in your mind." Sofu turned and left then. The cat would sort itself out and then Sofu's grandchild would deal with it. Sofu would be busy after he took the little nightingale back to the petshop.


At the estate-
Ren-


'It's now or never.' Ren decided, her eyes fixed on the little blonde boy who stood on the sidewalk. He was walking with two of the younger Souma kids, though Ren couldn't recall their names. All her dreams resting in that little blonde child.

She hadn't wanted to do this right outside the estate, but she felt as if she were running out of time. This was the first time she'd seen the boy out of the company of the petshop owner or his older brother, both of whom she'd been told were dangerous. Even the small animal who took the boy around town was quite deadly, according to Dr. D. She knew quite well that neither of the Souma kids would be able to stop her.

Just as they were walking up the sidewalk and Ren popped open her car door, ready to grab the boy, her eyes were drawn to the estate gates.

Akito!

Akito was being carried by a man and Ren cursed under her breath. It was the older brother of the boy she was supposed to take. Well, she wasn't about to give up the best opportunity to get this all over with. She was impatient to for her dream. No stupid foreigner was going to stand in her way!

Ren's eyes darkened and narrowed. She hadn't seen Akito for years, not since he'd banished her from the estate. 'Arrogant little shit.' Ren's focus was now on Akito very firmly. Ren's hand went involuntarily to her scarred face. She would never forget that day when Akito had destroyed her life. She'd been beautiful once, until that spoiled, selfish child had scarred her for life.

Her hand drifted from her face down to the seat next to her where the gun lay. It was difficult to get guns in Japan, but Dr. D had supplied it. He'd suggested that she might need it, though at the time Ren had thought it a little silly to have to use a gun just to kidnap one child. Now, it would be useful. She fastened the silencer to the barrel of the gun with an audible click. 'Akito's finally going to be of use to someone.' She aimed the gun out the open window of her car. 'He'll be a nice distraction.' Akito looked very vulnerable.

The big brother saw her, though. No one else was looking at her, but his eyes fell on her for some reason moment's before Akito saw her. Ren cursed and pulled the trigger. She didn't figure that the big brother would protect Akito. The blonde man turned his back and shielded Akito with his own body. He jerked once, as the bullet struck him in the back, before he sunk down to the ground and Akito fell out of his arms.


Leon-


Leon saw the woman with the gun and reacted without thinking. He'd been shot before, several times in the line of duty, but he never got used to the terrible pain of having a bullet embedded into his body. He knew it was going to hurt when he turned his back on the gun woman and, for the first time since he'd come to Japan, he missed Jill's presence. It would have been good to have her gun to back him up.

Leon was pretty sure the woman wasn't aiming at him, he had no enemies here and even the Black Scorpion couldn't possibly know he was hunting them. That left the boy in his arms and Leon realized, belatedly, that perhaps he wasn't just totting around some ordinary kid.

"Ren!" Akito saw the woman and whispered the name like a curse, one of his hand clenching around Leon's sleeve.

The woman raised her gun with a hateful look on her face and Leon did the only thing he could do. He turned around and shielded the little Akito with his body. It was stupid, but the only thing Leon could think to do. He couldn't let the kid get shot.

There was a loud bang, like a crack of thunder, and a hot poker jabbed into Leon's back. That's what it felt like, anyway. His legs gave away when agony ripped through his body and dropped Akito. The pain blazed for just a moment before it began to fade along with all the light in the world. Everything turned dark.

'Chris...' Leon's weak thoughts went to his brother. He couldn't die, not with Chris watching only feet away. 'D...take care of him. Take care of yourself.'

In the great empty void now surrounding Leon's consciousness, he thought he heard a familiar voice call out to him. "Do not leave me."


Hiro-


The woman was in a car just next to them and Kisa screamed when she saw the gun. Hiro felt his throat close up at the sight of the gun. It was pointed at Akito and Hiro had no idea what to do. If Akito died...

The man holding Akito turned his back and took the bullet for him. It was the bravest thing Hiro had ever seen.

After that, it all happened so fast. While Hiro grabbed Kisa's arm to pull her away from the crazy old lady in the car, he hadn't grabbed the boy that they'd found. Instead, the boy who hadn't spoke a word during their short trip to the estate, began to run forward towards the fallen man and ignored the crazy woman. There was no time to yell a warning, the woman surged out of her car and grabbed the boy by the arm, pulling him in before he even knew what was happening.

Kisa held onto Hiro for all she was worth, no doubt terrified.

All of a sudden, they were both pushed to the side as someone came barreling passed them. It was Kureno. He ran to the car, a terribly cold look on his face, but it was too late. The car began to pull away even as the estate guards ran to the entrance.

Kureno grabbed the door handle of the car, but it started up and, though Kureno stayed attached to the door for as long as he could, he eventually had to let go and jut watch the car drive away. The car was gone in seconds, leaving behind only a screech of tires and a trail of exhaust and chaos in its wake.

The silence was almost deafening at first and Hiro couldn't take his eyes off the car, speeding away. He couldn't look away even when the guards began shouting to one another to call for an ambulance. Hatori and Ayame came running from wherever they'd been, as did most of the people on the estate, and Hatori began shouting orders to everyone. They must have heard the gunshot. The man who'd taken the bullet for Akito wasn't moving and Hatori was having Ayame hold the man's head still, for fear of damage to the spine.

"He's losing blood!" Hatori snapped. "Has someone called that ambulance?! Ayame, stop crying, I need you!"

Ayame was in tears, though his hands were steady where he held the man's head. "Oh, Leon...I'm so sorry. I never meant..." He was on the verge of a break down and only the seriousness of the situation was keeping him together. "This is all my fault."

"Stop it!" Hatori looked up and his eyes landed on Hiro and Kisa. "Hiro! Come here!" It wasn't a tone that even Hiro could argue with. He went to Hatori as ordered and got down on his knees to do whatever Hatori asked him to. "Take off your shirt. We need it as a bandage." Hiro did it quickly and let Hatori press his shirt into the gaping wound in the man's back. "Now, Kisa," Hatori looked from Hiro to Kisa. "Go to my house and get my black bag, I have things I need. When you get to my house, call the hospital and tell them I'll be arriving shortly with a patient, they need to be ready. Tell them what happened. Hiro, you know how to take a pulse. Feel his wrist and tell me what it is."

Kisa nodded shakily and then took off running.

"I want him to have the best room!" Akito was now leaning against Ritsu, who'd been visiting the estate. He leaned heavily, putting almost no weight on his legs for some reason. "He will get the best of care!"

"I'll see he gets what he needs." Hatori assured Akito as he worked, though that apparently wasn't enough to satisfy Akito.

"No," Akito said, firmly. "Not what he needs, the best! You will see to him personally. This man saved my life and he might lose his own because of it. I will not allow that, Hatori. If you're not up to his care, then send for other doctors who are. The family will pay for his care."

Hatori nodded sharply, but never once looked up from his work.

Akito wasn't standing up, though he was unharmed. Hiro looked carefully at his God and was shocked at what he saw. Sanity. Hiro had never seen Akito look so in touch with reality. Akito knew he'd almost died and he knew whose fault that was. Hiro wondered if Akito would be more dangerous sane.

"It's falling." Hiro told Hatori in a small voice when he'd finished his counting of the pulse. When he told Hatori the exact number of the falling pulse rate, Hatori looked even more grim than usual.

One of the estate guards tried to take Akito from Ritsu, but Akito would have none of it. "Put me down!" Akito screamed, looking more furious that Hiro had ever seen him. He latched his arms around Ritsu, who looked as frightened as everyone else and was using all his meager strength to hold up Akito. "You've failed us all!" Akito snarled at the guards. "I would have died today if this outsider hadn't been here! All of you," He looked around at the assembled estate guards, "I want the estate searched for more danger. You will turn my estate upside-down and if anyone if found to have been helping Ren, they will be brought to me." His tone promised an awful punishment to whoever would have helped Ren.

The estate guards all bowed and then took off at once, back into the estate.

"Kureno!" Akito called, and the rooster went to him quickly. Kureno slipped one arm under Akito's taking a little of the weight off Ritsu, though he didn't take him all together.

"Yes, Akito." It wasn't a question, but a practiced response saying that Kureno was ready and willing to do whatever Akito ordered.

"Find her." Akito said in a dreadfully calm voice, his eyes looking after where the white car had vanished. His eyes shifted to where Hatori was frantically trying to save the blonde man's life. The sidewalk was stained with blood now, despite the pressure bandage Hiro was pressing down with all his weight on. "I made the mistake once of simply having her memories taken and exiling her from the estate. I will not make the same mistake twice." His cold eyes met Kureno's. "Kill her for me."

"Yes, Akito!" Kureno didn't wait before he let go of Akito, who leaned against Ritsu again, and took off running. He didn't run after Ren, as Hiro half expected him to. Instead, Kureno went back into the estate and came roaring out moments later on his motorcycle and sped down the street until he was out of sight, hot on Ren's trail.


Ren-


Ren lunged out of her car, knowing that the estate guards would come running at any moment. She didn't care that Akito and any other number of people on the streets, including Kureno was now running towards her, had seen her shot the blonde man. Ren was close and easily took the blonde kid. She managed to grab the blonde boy's arm and haul him into her car.

He made not a sound, but he did kick her in the chest when she threw him over her to the passenger seat. Ren hit him in the side of the head with the butt of her gun and the little boy dropped like a stone. Soon, she couldn't even see the estate in her rear view mirror.

They wouldn't be able to catch her and now...now she was the head of the Souma family! Ren felt as if she was high, she was so happy and it all felt very unreal. Finally, she had what she'd always wanted. She took the child and now Dr. D would deliver on his side of the deal and make her the head of the Souma family.

Ren started to laugh. It was a hysterical laughter, but she didn't care. It was finally all hers.

She glanced at the child next to her, not caring about the stain of blood soaking into his hair or the fact that he hadn't even opened his eyes since she'd hit him. 'Now I just have to find someplace to keep you.' There was only one place Ren could think of only one place where she could put a kidnapped child. A place where no one ever looked for children or cared about them. She should know, her nephew, Kureno, had lived there for many years before Akito had bought him.

The Pits.



Kyou-



Everything hurt.

Kyou pried open his eyes and the whole world looked different. The colors were brighter and the smells, which had always been sharp to him, were even more distinct. Sounds were more vibrant than they had been before.

Kyou looked down at his hands. He...looked the same. When he looked in the tiny mirror hanging on his wall, his face still looked back at him. Nothing had changed. Everything had changed.

"Kyou? Kyou? Are you all right?"

Kyou looked down and there was Yuki, as a tiny grey rat. "Yuki?" Kyou's voice sounded strange.

"Yes, of course it's me!" Yuki snapped. "Are you all right?"

"I...I don't know." Kyou felt a terrible pain in his stomach and he retched almost instantly. With his hands at his stomach, Kyou ended up on his knees, throwing up all over the floor. Thankfully, Yuki had managed to get to a safe place and was untouched by the...the blood. Kyou stared at what he'd thrown up. Bright red blood. "What's going on?" He said to himself.

"Call Hatori!" Yuki shouted. "That guy did something to you. Call Hatori." Yuki scampered up to the windowsill and looked down at the front garden, below. "Honda-san fell out the window, but I can't see her, now!"

That got Kyou's attention and he forced himself to his feet. Staggering to the window he looked down. There was no sign of Tohru, though he did notice Shigure laying in the garden. The pain hit him again and Kyou doubled over, retching again. More blood. It splattered everywhere and Kyou was desperately afraid. "What do I do?" He asked, wiping his bloody lips with the back of his hand.

"Call Hatori!" Yuki nearly yelled. "He'll help you."

"What do I do?" Kyou repeated himself, feeling panic trying to take over his mind. His eyes landed on the cell phone he'd dropped on the floor. He dialed Hatori's number with shaking fingers, but there was no answer except for a dial tone. "He's not answering." Kyou stood up again, still holding the cell phone. The only thought in his mind was that he had to find help. All that blood... Kyou's hand went to his bracelet and found blood on it. Just like last night, his bracelet seemed to be leaking blood. No, that wasn't possible. The blood was from him throwing up. Kyou left his room, unsteady and dazed from how changed the world seemed to be.

Yuki yelled after him to stay put. "You're still sick! You shouldn't go anywhere!"

Kyou didn't listen. He left the house with lingering pain in his stomach. Though he paused to check on Shigure, there was nothing his cousin could do for him. Shigure looked as if he were asleep except that his eyes were wide open. He didn't seem able to move at all. So Kyou left Shigure, confident that Yuki would help him when he turned back into a human, and went in search of some kind of help with the cell phone still in his hand. He felt as if the monster inside him were trying to claw its way to the surface.


Count D-


Count D watched as the human's loaded his Leon into an ambulance and hurried away with him. Anger seethed inside of D, threatening to boil over. From what he heard the humans saying, little Chris had been taken and now Leon was in mortal danger.

-Tet-chan.- D summonsed his favorite pet.

-Yes?- Tet-chan answered all the way from the petshop. D knew his Tet-chan was setting the table for dinner for his master, but it was a dinner that would not be eaten that night.

-Come to me, Tet-chan. I have an errand for you.-




To be continued...


Thanks to all reviewers, all of your comments are very helpful. I'll give proper response next chapter.

Phew! This was a hard chapter to get done! I hope everyone enjoyed it.