Pet Shop Of Horrors Fan Fiction ❯ Nothing at all ❯ nothing at all ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Nothing at all

By mimma

Disclaimer: I do not own pet shop of horrors and am making no profit whatsoever from this work.

Warning: character death and implied shounen-ai.

*********************************************************************** *******

The bell tinkled. The doors swung silently closed after a tall blond man who made no sound.

"Ah, welcome detective. I hope you are well." It was not a request.

It was nice to see Leon again. It had been quite a time since his last visit and D was beginning to think that Leon might have come to some harm. Considering his line of work, it wasn't that implausible. Though the detective was rather subdued, more careful. Almost reflective. This was most unlike him.

Perhaps he had come to a conclusion about the song-and-dance that they had been indulging in lately.

Then Leon turned his face to D and all his suspicions washed away like so much noise and storm. Leon was smiling. It was a small smile, a little tug of good-natured ness lurking around the corner of his mouth. But it was a nice smile. One very rarely seen by anyone other than Chris. D had only been treated to it once before.

Mostunlike the detective, indeed.

"Yeah, I'm well. Chris and Jill aren't feeling so good, though, they'll be coming soon. I came ahead."

"Why aren't they feeling well, detective?" D wrinkled his forehead in confusion. They were usually quite stable people… and was Leon so callous to let them come after him?

"I didn't know how to help them," Leon must have anticipated that question. "I don't really see anything to be worried about. They're really worried. I don't think that it's really anything to worry about."

D arched an eyebrow.

"Don't you have anything to be worried about, detective?"

Leon smiled again. Only this time there was a sad, sad tilt to the smile. Then, the smile smoothed out, and it appeared that he was letting the sadness go.

"No. I have nothing to be worried about. Nothing at all."

D blinked twice, unable to come up with anything to counter this statement, he took refuge in his customary, "Drink your tea."

Leon lifted his cup.

There was a sudden clatter outside.

Leon paused with the cup half way to his lips.

"You'd better go and see about them, D, they're all worked up."

D paused. He felt… uncertain, somehow. As if something bad had happened, as though there was something he was missing here, as though there was...a bad smell in the room that he'd just gotten used to.

As if something was terribly, terribly wrong.

He dismissed it and went up the stairs, ignoring the niggling feeling that told him to turn, look there, look at Leon, and did not look back.

Jill and Chris came though the door a little before D reached it. In a way, D was glad of this, because then they could not see Leon sitting there and drinking tea like nothing was wrong. Unfounded feelings have absolutely no place here, thank you very much. He resisted the urge to turn around and look at Leon. In any case, Jill's tearstained face should have been quite enough to wrench D's mind away from the feeling of - of wrongness, somehow.

"Miss Jill- Chris? What's wrong?"

Jill clung to D, wrinkling his sleeve, gasping slightly.

"D- D, Leon- le- Leon, h-"

D frowned slightly. Had Leon been over-blunt with her?

The mind-voice was sad beyond measure, the eyes dry, as though Chris's grief was beyond tears.

//count, my big brother's dead. //

"What?"

A tea cup shattered behind him, dropped by hands that were no longer there, dropped by hands that were never there.

D fell down the stairs in his haste to confirm what he already knew.

There was no one there.

He remembered the sad smile on Leon's face.

I have nothing to be worried about.

Nothing at all.

After all, I'm dead.