Pet Shop Of Horrors Fan Fiction ❯ Tuatha de D ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

D had gotten quite the surprise when Leon had shown up on his doorstep that morning with Chris in tow. Despite his fondness for the boy, he had been tempted to say no when Leon had informed him that he would be taking care of the little human. Unfortunately, Leon had come armed with a box of the most deliciously mouthwatering éclairs in creation. And the vicious blonde held it hostage against any complaints or arguments he might have dredged up.

Sniff.

So that was how he now found himself sitting across from Chris at tea time, surrounded by the dozing animals of his shop. The young boy had been… even quieter than was usual today. Something seemed to be bothering his young charge, but the Chinaman decided that perhaps it would be best to wait for Chris to tell him what that something was.

D felt that Leon would not be the one to cause this kind of expression on the young boy’s face. Which left it as likely something that had to do with the scuffle he had at school. D rather wished his darling detective had given him just a bit more detail on what had actually happened, but when Chris felt like speaking the Count did not doubt the subject would come up.

D gently raised the thin porcelain to his lips, schooling his small smile into an inviting expression behind the cup when the detective’s baby brother finally looked up as if he had decided something.

*Count D?*

“Yes?”

*….*

“What is it that troubles you Christopher?”

*I have a question, and Honlon said you’d probably have a better answer than she could give.*

“Oh?” D responded cautiously, curiosity tingling along his spine, causing him to focus more carefully on Chris. “And what would that question be?”

*Well…ifyouweresomethingnotwhatyouthoughtyouwere,wouldy ouwanttobethesomethingorbewhatyouthoughtyouwere?*

Count D blinked as he tried to process the question.

If you were something, not what you thought you were, would you want to be the something or be what you thought you were?

He thought that was what he had heard. He repeated the question back, out loud to make sure that he had it right. When Chris nodded, he considered his answer. Certainly this was not what he had expected to be troubling the boy. Were human children at this age supposed to be questioning their existence? No. Something must have happened besides the fight at school.

“An unusual question. And exactly what would I be if I were not what I am?”

The child bit his lip, and he seemed to be struggling with himself. He obviously wanted to speak of what was prompting such a question, but was also uncertain he should speak of it. The Count raised one pencil thin eyebrow when he realized what was running through the boy’s head.

Interesting.

*Um, well… if you were a dog who thought it was a cat, would you want to be a cat or a dog?* Chris’s expression brightened, pleased with his analogy.

“I… see. It has been known to happen that orphaned pups will sometimes be raised by mother cats. It may retain some habits of interaction that it learned from the cat when it is grown. But ultimately, there is no real choice for the dog. It is a dog, and it will follow the instincts of the dog. For it to be otherwise would be against nature. Does that answer your question, Christopher?”

The boy’s brow furrowed, and his face assumed a serious expression as he carefully considered D’s answer.

*So, it doesn’t really matter what the dog wants because it can’t really choose what it wants to be? So there really isn’t a choice?* Chris expression brightened, and he seemed to accept that answer. Then his face fell again. *But what if it’s half cat half dog? Then which would it choose to be?*

“Chris, there is no possibility of a dog and a cat reproducing.”

*But, what if?*

D gave a small sigh before patiently responding.

“Then it would be half dog and half cat. It would need to find a way to exist as both.”

*So it couldn’t say “I’m a cat” and act like a cat, and be a cat then?*

“I do not believe it could. It could believe itself to be a cat, and behave as a cat, but it would still have to fight against the instincts of a dog. Also, it would never be seen as a cat by other animals. The creature in question would need to find a balance between its dual nature, so that it could exist as both peacefully. It would also need to find an environment in which it could be accepted, or at least live in relative peace.”

*What if it couldn’t decide? Or only wanted to be one? Or what if it couldn’t find a place to live?*

“Then it would perish.”

~~~~~~~~~

Silently D tended to the flowers in one of his special gardens, his pale hands showing starkly against the dark, almost black, foliage. Large red blossoms swayed in the soft breeze. Only someone who knew what they were looking at would recognize the slight indentions for suction on the ends of the tendrils spilling from the center as ‘mouths’. He was unconcerned that the plants would mistake him for their usual food; so was able to allow his mind to drift as he worked.

After their conversation Chris seemed to have withdrawn into himself, until the animals of the shop made it a point to distract him. Because of this, D wasn’t really worried about him at the moment. The young boy was currently in the kitchen making supper with Tet-chan and Pon-chan.

D turned to the sound of flapping wings. The bat bunny flying through the air came to rest on the offered finger. His small pet chirped, ruffling up in annoyance.

“I see. I suppose I should get ready for him.” D ignored the cranky squeak Q-chan gave before launching back into the air to resettle onto a shoulder. The slender man calmly made his way back to the sitting room where he most frequently entertained the visitors to his shop. Q-chan cheeped again and flitted off to find a perch to nestle down for a nap on; he had no desire to deal with the detective‘s stupidity today. D quietly began to set things out for tea, setting a place for himself and his companion at the table.

“Yo D. Where’s Chris?”

The words came from the doorway. D straightened up abruptly from where he was bent over the table, and turned to look at the detective with some concern. This was not the usual brash greeting from the young detective. Instead Leon spoke in a low, tired voice. He leaned against the frame, his shoulders slumped. One arm was crossed over his stomach protectively, while the other braced against the carved wood.

“He’s in the kitchen, helping to prepare the meal.” D ignored the tingle of unease that flowed through him at the sight of his human pet seeming so drawn. Had Leon seemed so exhausted this morning? No. He had had a playful grin tugging his lips as he taunted D with the sweets he held. He still looked rather tired, but he had been recovering from his dream time visits. As with Chris D felt that this was something new that was weighing the normally resilient human down. Of course any questions he had concerning Chris would now have to wait.

“Please have a seat. The tea is almost ready.”

Leon shrugged faintly at the familiar routine, and gave in without even his usual token protest. He slunk over to the couch and carefully eased his tall frame down onto the red velvet cushions. Leon winced when he settled against the soft back before relaxing slightly. He allowed his golden haired head to loll back.

“What is troubling you today my dear Detective?” D placed a teacup before the both of them, and carefully began to pour the steaming liquid into the delicate porcelain.

“New murder.” Leon didn’t open his eyes as he spoke in an empty voice. “Same MO as one of my older cases. No suspects, no leads. Lab techs have determined the multiple lacerations with a knife was used to completely drain the victim’s blood. However the murderer slit the victim’s throat before it completely died from blood loss.”

Blue eyes opened and pinned D with a haunted look.

“Her name was Aileen. She was thirteen, and she was going to go on her first date in a few days. Her favorite color was green. That’s the color dress she bought for the school dance, like her eyes.” Leon closed his eyes. “Thirteen D. Who the hell would kill a child like that?!”

“Leon,” D murmured, understanding and sympathy sliding through his chest as he watched the suffering soul on the couch. It pained him to see the young officer experience so much for his cases. That was perhaps Leon’s greatest flaw. That he cared too much.

“It hurts.”

“My darling detective. I am sure it does. However, there is nothing you can do to bring her back, and there is no point in beating yourself up over her death. It was not your fault.”

Leon once more kept his eyes closed when he gave he bitterly replied, “I didn’t catch him after his first victim, or his second one. She’s the third.”

One hand came up to gingerly rub his ribs, just below the swell of his chest.

The tingle of unease D had felt earlier returned to flare into a budding suspicion. He frowned sharply. Without pausing to think about what he was doing, the Count quickly stood and glided over the reclining guest. Before Leon even registered that he was standing over him, the Asian man quickly slashed out.

Leon gaped up at the Count from where he sat, but D took no note of the human’s shock. His eyes were glinting as he stared at the strong chest, now revealed through the shreds of Leon’s once functional band t-shirt. There, beginning at the base of his right rib cage and traveling all the way up to his left nipple was a dark bruise, marring his golden peach skin.

D extended one finger and lightly traced the bruise, drawing a pained gasp from the American. His gaze flicked up to Leon's face.

“The phooka has paid you another visit.”

“Yeah,” Leon uttered with a surprised look.

D hissed.

Leon stared up at the slender figure of the Chinese man who towered over him, practically trembling in rage. D thrust his face close to the other man’s, causing Leon to flinch back. The instinctive gesture seemed to anger D even more and he grabbed a hold of Leon’s chin painfully.

“Officer, why didn’t you use the plant that I gave you?!”

“I was Leon a second ago,” the blond tried to change the subject with a smile that was too edgy to completely mask his nervousness.

D did not relinquish his grip on Leon’s chin as he shifted forward onto the couch. The slits of his cheongsam split to allow his legs to settle on either side of Leon’s thighs. D perched on Leon’s lap, and a small part of him was perversely pleased to have his lion’s undivided attention when he spoke.

“I will not warn you again- you cannot trust a phooka! And you must never allow him access to your dreams. He will try to steal your soul, and he cannot have you!” D spat with possessiveness anger. His bicolor eyes glittered eerily, and the dim lighting cast deep shadows across D’s pale face. And in that instant he wasn’t human.

He was a god.

D saw the awe that began to work across Leon’s features as he stared up at him with a look of budding comprehension. That wasn’t what D wanted from him. Before Leon could say something stupid D yanked his chin up and swooped down to roughly seal his lips in a searing kiss. Once more shock overtook the detective for a second before he responded.

But oh how he responded.

D growled when he felt Leon’s tongue battling with his own for dominance. This wasn’t sweet or polite, or romantic. It was nothing like a first kiss between people is expected to be. This was wild and feral, violent in it’s intensity. D’s fingers somehow threaded through Leon’s hair, the band holding the strands in place a passing memory. Leon crushed the deceptively frail body closer to his own, rocking his hips upward, straining through the barrier of clothing to reach something…

D felt Leon stiffen when they brushed together. Regretfully he withdrew from the kiss to slide to his feet and stare down at the human. Leon blinked up with glazed eyes. Obviously the other man was just realizing what he was doing, and why he shouldn’t be doing it.

Pity.

“Your tea is getting cold, Detective,” D informed the blonde man, as soon as he resumed his seat, his face once more an indecipherable mask of mysterious knowledge.

Leon stared.

Then the officer stood up abruptly and without another word walked out the door.

Q-chan fluttered down to lightly land on D’s shoulder once more and rub against him reassuringly. D stared down into his tea cup.

“I did not handle that very well, did I Q-chan?”

“Kyu.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AN : Ok this chapter was a bit rougher than I could’ve hoped for, but still, it’s finally finished! (yeessss!)

I would like to thank Anubiset and Spooniekid for looking over this chapter and helping me out so much. I will eventually go back and fix the formatting and errors in the first chapters, but I think I want to finish the story first. I apologize for any confusion that has come before, or may come after, lol.