Petite Princess Yucie Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Kisses: Arc and Yucie ❯ Midnight Alarm Clock ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: “Midnight Alarm Clock”
Author: Wish Wielder
Pairing: Arc/Yucie
Fandom: Puchi Puri Yucie
Theme: #17 (kHz (kilohertz))
Disclaimer: “Puchi Puri Yucie” and all respective properties are © Gainax/Yucie Committee. Meg “tN!!” D. (Wish Wielder) does not, has never, nor will ever own “Puchi Puri Yucie.”

“Midnight Alarm Clock”

Arc was almost used to the piercing squall coming from the tiny room joined to his bedroom by then. He groaned and threw an arm over his eyes, hoping that maybe the skull-splitting noise would go away. He just wanted to roll over and go back to sleep, hopefully finishing out the night without another rude awakening. However, as he felt Yucie stir beside him, he knew he had to move. After all, she had answered the demanding calls for the past few nights, and they were beginning to show their toll. He placed a hand on her arm and leaned over, kissing her forehead.
“I’ll take care of it,” he whispered to her. “You just go back to sleep.”
“Mmfdun atcher duan,” she mumbled. He chuckled and shook his head.
“I’ll manage,” he said. He crawled out of the covers and stood, stretching to awaken some of the muscles in his still-sleeping back. He cast one last glance at Yucie, who had curled onto his spot as soon as he had left the bed, and smiled.
Before he could get lost in thoughts about his beloved wife’s bed-hogging tendencies, another cry pierced the air. He winced and looked at the closed door that lead to his two-month-old daughter’s nursery. He had better go to her before her crying awoke the entire palace. He wouldn’t be surprised if she did, either - that kid could scream.
When he opened the door, the noise intensified a hundredfold. He winced and quickly hurried in, shutting the door behind him. His daughter didn’t seem to notice someone was coming, as the squalling didn’t cease. He made his way over to her cradle and scooped her up, shushing her like he had seen Yucie do so many times before. There was no odor in the room, and she had no reason to be hungry, so he was fairly sure the little girl was just antsy.
“Hey, now,” he said, “can’t you ever sleep for more than two hours?”
Her wails died down slightly as he continued to rock her, humming a light tune to help send her back to dreamland. She curled towards him as her cries tapered down into hiccoughs, and his smile grew slightly. Wide, innocent aqua eyes stared up at him, and he found himself lightly poking her stomach. Aside from her eyes, she looked exactly like her mother, large forehead and all.
As she drifted back into the realm of sleep, Arc found himself wondering how long she’d stay there. Usually, after she woke up that first time, she was up every hour or so. He knew he wouldn’t be getting much sleep tonight, and he looked back at those three hours he had managed to capture longingly. He’d be exhausted in the morning, and all because of his little midnight alarm clock. He knew he had no choice, though. Her cry could wake the dead (he’d never understand how something so small could be so loud), and he wanted Yucie to get more sleep than she was (she was almost like a walking corpse these days), so it was up to him to take care of the little one.
“You stay asleep this time,” he whispered as he kissed her forehead. He placed her back in the cradle and stood over her for a moment longer, simply watching her.
He didn’t really mind the early-morning calls. They were just another part of the job, and she usually went back to sleep fairly easily. He just wished she wasn’t so loud.
A few minutes later, he tore himself away from her and went back to his own room. Yucie was sitting up in bed, her head resting on her knees, which she was hugging to her chest, and watching him with a sleepy smile. He frowned as he laid down beside her.
“I thought I told you to go back to sleep?” he asked. She smiled and looked down at him, shrugging lightly.
“Yeah,” she said, “but I thought you’d need help.”
“I know how to take care of her, Yucie,” he said. She laid down beside him and cuddled against his side, her smile growing.
“Mmhmm,” she mumbled as she rested her head against his arm. He sighed and pulled her closer.
“Just go back to sleep,” he said. “You know she’ll be up again soon.”
“Mmm,” Yucie mumbled again as she curled closer to him. “Love you.”
“Love you too, Yucie,” he said. He glanced over to the door leading to the nursery before he looked back to his wife, a soft smile on his face. ‘You and the noise-maker.’

owari

a.n.:
Wasn’t too sure how to do kHz, so I just did something loud. -sheepish grin- Also, sorry this took so long - been majorly blocked. My Creative Writing class broke through that, though! XD (Yes, second semester just started - had my second CW class today. -big grin-)

Comments and constructive criticism welcomed. Please, don’t flame. If you can’t say your CC without flaming, don’t bother. Flames will be used to fuel Az’s bonfire for the yummy s’mores.