Pokemon Fan Fiction / Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Pokémon: Sora's Journey ❯ Ninja Showdown ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Episode 27: Ninja Showdown

I can bet that you're wondering how Sora caught Psyduck by accident. Well this chapter will have the answers. It's quite similar to how Misty caught Psyduck without actually trying. It also holds the answer to how he came across his Vulpix as well. Also I'll be adding Sora's adventure in the Safari Zone (Not catching 30 Tauros) and they'll have a Alola special. In closing, the battle with Sora and Koga will go different than the anime.

Sora continued with his training, and Sandshrew was definitely improving. Same for Pidgeotto and Litten. But he wondered about Psyduck. He just looked the duck Pokémon holding his head.

Sora sighed as he hung his head. Sora pulled his Pokédex and went over the moves that his Psyduck knows.

"According to this it says that you know, Scratch, Water Gun, Confusion, and Disable," Sora said. "We should go over it just to see what you're made of."

"Psyduck," Psyduck said.

"Okay Psyduck! Water Gun!" Sora ordered. He waited for Psyduck to launch the move only to see nothing happen. "I said Water Gun!"

"Psy-y-y-y," Psyduck said.

Sora facepalmed as he groaned.

"Aw man!" Sora groaned. "I just don't get how you can't do a single thing I say. You didn't even do anything when we first met; well except chase me around."

(Flashback)

It was shortly after Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine had left Lavender Town. Kiawe had his Marowak out and he looks at this Marowak was different from the ghost Marowk and the image of the Pokédex.

"You said your Marowak is a Fire Type and a Ghost Type, right?" Sora asked looking at his Marowak.

"That's right," Kiawe said. "This is an Alolan Marowak."

"Some of the Kanto Pokémon have taken up different forms and Types since they came to Alola some time ago," Lillie explained. "It's due to the change in environment."

"But I gotta admit I never seen a Marowak and a Raticate like that before," Mallow said.

"Really?" Sora asked.

"Well it makes sense since this is your first time here in the Kanto region," Kairi pointed out.

Sora looks at Kiawe's Marowak again as he pulls out his Pokédex and scanned it at this alternate Pokémon.

Marowak Alolan Form, the Bone Keeper Pokémon

The evolved form of Cubone

Type: Fire/Ghost

When it beats opponents with its bone, the cursed flames spread to them. No amount of water will stop those flames from burning. Its custom is to mourn its lost companions. Mounds of dirt by the side of the road mark the graves of the Marowak.

"Whoa," Sora said putting his Pokédex away. "That's so dark."

Everyone stopped for a quick break when the group spotted something on a nearby log.

"Hey guys look!" Sophocles said pointing at it. Everyone got a closer inspection as it was a Vulpix sleeping soundly on the log.

"Oh my gosh," Kairi whispered. "A Vulpix. She's so cute," Kairi said as she gushed at the sight of the six-tailed fox.

"That's a Vulpix?" Lana asked.

"Sure is," Sora pulled out his Pokédex and pointed at the sleeping Vulpix.

Vulpix, the Fox Pokémon

Type: Fire

Inside Vulpix's body burns a flame that never goes out. During the daytime, when the temperatures rise, this Pokémon releases flames from its mouth to prevent its body from growing too hot.

"Another Fire Type would make a good addition!" Sora said pulling out his Pokéball before throwing it. "Squirtle! Come on out!"

The Pokéball opens letting out Squirtle. Vulpix wakes up to see the opposing Squirtle.

"Squirtle!" Squirtle said entering the battle.

"Water Gun!" Sora ordered as Squirtle fired his attack hitting the little fox.

"Vul!" Vulpix said when she got hit. Vulpix responded by shooting out Ember. Squirtle dodges it the attack.

"Water Gun again!" Sora called as Squirtle fired his Water Gun again; and a stronger one this time. Vulpix was weakened enough for Sora to throw his Pokéball at the wild Pokémon. Vulpix flows inside as the Pokéball wobbles around for a bit before stars swirls around confirming the catch. "Gotcha! I have myself a Vulpix!" Sora said before the Pokéball teleports straight to Professor Oak's lab.

"Pi Pika Pika Pikachu!" Pikachu cheered.

"A very good catch!" Kairi also cheered.

"I guess that Vulpix is different from the ones from Alola?" Sora questioned.

"Sure is," Lillie said. "Very different from the one I have." Lillie said before she took out her Pokéball and let's out a white fox Pokémon. It had blue eyes and its six tails looked even fluffier than the Vulpix Sora just caught. "Sora, Kairi, meet my Vulpix. But I called mine 'Snowy.'"

"Oh so cute!" Kairi gushed at the sight of the white Vulpix.

"A white Vulpix," Sora said, pulling out his Pokédex and pointed at Lillie's Vulpix.

Vulpix Alolan Form, the Fox Pokémon

Type: Ice

It exhales air colder than -58 degrees Fahrenheit. Elderly people in Alola call this Pokémon by an older name—Keokeo. In hot weather, this Pokémon makes ice shards with its six tails and sprays them around to cool itself off.

Sora puts his Pokédex away and smiles at the Alolan Vulpix.

"It's nice to meet you, Snowy," Sora holding out his hand at the Alolan Vulpix.

"VUL!" Snowy just let out an icy breath at Sora freezing his head.

"Brr..." Sora shivered.

"I should have told you that Snowy is very shy around new people," Lillie said.

"It's cool," Sora shivered. "No pun intended."

Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine laughed as Sora shook off the icy shards. Pikachu went over to Snowy holding out his paw.

"Pika, Pika, Pikachu," Pikachu said holding out his paw.

"Vulpix," Snowy said as she went up to Pikachu. She manages to open up to Pikachu.

"It looks like Snowy has made a new friend," Mallow said as the group continued on to Celadon City when they heard rustling in the shrubs.

"What is that?" Hapu asked.

They got their answer when a wild Psyduck came out of the shrubs.

"Is that a..." Sophocles asked.

"A Psyduck," Lana said.

"A Psyduck, huh," Sora said pulling out his Pokédex.

Psyduck, the Duck Pokémon

Type: Water

Psyduck uses a mysterious power. When it does so, this Pokémon generates brain waves that are supposedly only seen in sleepers. This discovery spurred controversy among scholars. It also suffers from a constant headache.

"A constant headache?" Sora tilted his head. Sora looked at the Psyduck not sure if he should catch it or leave it be. "Um Kairi..." Sora said as he turned to her. "Is this a boy or girl Psyduck?"

"It's a boy," Kairi answered.

Sora looks at the Psyduck holding his head.

"Psy-y-y-y," Psyduck said.

"Maybe we should leave him here," Sora said. "I don't even think he knows where he is." Sora patted Psyduck on the head. "It was nice to meet you, Psyduck. But we should go. Bye bye."

Psyduck looked at the spikey-headed boy as he joined up with the group.

As the group continued on to Celadon City, Kairi looked behind her and sees the same Psyduck from before.

"Don't look now, but I think we're being followed," Kairi said.

"What?" Sora questioned as he turned around and sees the same Psyduck. "No, no no!" Sora said. "You don't follow us! You go home!" Sora pointed in the opposite direction. Psyduck ran up and hugged his leg. "What's the deal with this Psyduck?" Sora asked trying to get out of the duck Pokémon's grip.

"I think that Psyduck likes you, Sora," Acerola joked as Mina nodded.

Everyone including Kairi laughed as they agreed to that.

Sora managed to break free as Psyduck started to chase him around.

"No, no, no," Sora said. "Bad ducky! Bad! Go away! Go away!" Sora turned around entirely and he was about to tell Psyduck to go away when he tripped over a small rock and a vacant Pokéball falls out of his pocket. It enlarges at it hits the ground. The Pokéball bumps into Psyduck as he flows inside the Pokéball. Stars swirls around the Pokéball confirming the catch. "Oh no! Now Psyduck is in my Pokéball! Now I've got a headache!" Sora said holding his head. "Psy-y-y-y!" The Pokéball teleports straight to Professor Oak's lab. Kairi walks up to him and giggles.

"But the good news is we don't have to worry about Psyduck following us around," Kairi said. "Besides a catch is a catch."

"You're right," Sora agreed. "I guess I'll have to work on Psyduck when the need comes."

(Present day)

Sora tried to get Psyduck to do a simple attack, but so far, nothing worked. But Sora wasn't going to give up that easily. He placed a rock on top of another rock.

"Let's see you use Confusion," Sora said. "Your opponents are going to be Poison Types. So your Confusion shall do the trick." Sora said "Give it a try." Psyduck just stood there holding his head.

"Psyduck," Psyduck said.

"Come on, Psyduck," Sora said. "Confusion! You can use that!" Psyduck just stared at him for a bit before scratching himself. Sora hung his head again as he sighed. "Okay we can work on that later. Let's try your Scratch attack! Use Scratch on that tree over there!" Sora said pointing at the tree. Psyduck started to run at the tree and gave it a scratch. Only to get a splinter.

"PSY-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y!" Psyduck ran around with a splinter in his little hand. Sora ran up to Psyduck holding him.

"Okay, hold still. Hold still," Sora said to Psyduck pulling the splinter out. He pulled a band aid from his backpack. He washed Psyduck's hand and placed the band aid on his hand. "There you go, buddy. Better?"

"Psyduck," Psyduck nodded.

"I just don't understand how you can't perform your attacks properly," Sora said. "But I won't give up on you. You're going to be greatest Psyduck as you can be! We just need to work hard on it." Sora's stomach starts growling. "After lunch. I know you'll love Kairi's cooking." Sora held out his hand. Psyduck grabbed him by his hand. Sora had been gentle not wanting to hurt Psyduck anymore because of the accident.

Sora and Psyduck rejoined Kairi and the Alolan nine. Kairi was preparing a ramen lunch for the group when she spotted Sora and Psyduck coming back from their training.

"How did your training go?" Kairi asked.

"Well, Pidgeotto, Sandshrew, and Litten did pretty well," Sora said. "But I can't say the same for Psyduck." Sora sighed. "The only move Psyduck could get right is Scratch. But he had a little accident."

Kairi looked at Psyduck's hand and saw the band aid on his hand.

"Poor Psyduck," Kairi said kindly. "Did you hurt your little hand?"

"Psyduck," Psyduck nodded.

"Don't worry, Psyduck," Kairi said. "I'll something extra special for you."

Psyduck sort of smiled at that.

A young woman who is dressed like a ninja saw the group of kids and their Pokémon. She has purple eyes and purplish hair. She also has a Venonat beside her. She assumed that they had to be heading to Fushia City for a Gym battle, so she approached them.

"Excuse me," the young woman called to the group. They all turned to see her and her Venonat. "I presume that one of you is heading to Fushia City to battle the Gym Leader, correct?"

"That'll be me," Sora spoke up. "Why?"

"I challenge you to a battle," she said. "My name is Janine; I am a kunoichi. Now you must return the introduction."

"It's Sora," he introduced.

"After the sky," Janine pointed out. "Show me if you're worthy of the name."

"I'll do more than that!" Sora proclaimed. Kairi with Pikachu on her lap and Psyduck on her side and the Alolan nine watching the battle about to start. "How many Pokémon you wanna use?"

"Three of mine against three of yours. Beginning with my Venonat!" Venonat entered the battle.

"Alright it's a Venonat," Sora said taking out a Pokéball and throwing it in the air. "Let's go, Pidgeotto!" The Pokéball lets Pidgeotto as he prepared for battle. "Start up with Wing Attack!" Pidgeotto dives at the bug Pokémon with full speed.

"Venonat! Double Team!" Janine ordered. Venonat made several images of itself. Pidgeotto sweapt into one of them, finding it not being the real thing.

"Now way!" Sora exclaimed.

"Now use Toxic!" Janine commanded. Venonat stopped using Double Team as it got behind Pidgeotto and hit him on the back. Pidgeotto got poisoned bad.

"Hang in there, Pidgeotto!" Sora called. "Use Steel Wing!" Pidgeotto's wings became metallic as the bird Pokémon dove in.

"Double Team!" Janine called as Venonat made several images of itself again. "Use Venoshock!" Venonat fires a purplish blob at Pidgeotto. The attack took a big hit at Pidgeotto.

"That was brutal," Sophocles said.

"Venoshock's hits doubles if the target's poisoned," Illima said. "This will be pretty bad for Pidgeotto."

Sora had to think of a strategy against Venonat quickly. So he remembered its Double Team move. He just has to throw Venonat off guard, he couldn't afford to let Pidgeotto get hit again.

"Pidgeotto! Use Wing Attack again!" Sora called out as the bird Pokémon dove in with his wings out.

"That won't work," Janine said. "Double Team!" Janine commanded as several images of Venonat appeared once again. Sora grinned as she fell into his little trap.

"Gotcha!" Sora said confusing the kunoichi. "Aerial Ace!" Sora oredered. Pidgeotto uses the speed attack to hit Venonat right on mark. Being a super-effective move Venonat was knocked out.

"Venonat!" Janine ran towards her fallen Venonat. "You've battled well. You should rest now." Venonat obliges its trainer by taking a rest next to her. "That was a clever move, Sora." Janine took out a Pokéball prepared to let out her next Pokémon. "But lets see how handle my next one. Salazzle! Come to my aid!" Janine threw the Pokéball letting out Sazzale. The Alolan nine were stunned at the sight of this Pokémon.

"She has a Salazzle?!" Lana exclaimed.

"How did she get one of those?" Kiawe questioned.

Kairi was surprised to see a Salazzle. She started to wonder what does Sora have in store. Sora pulled out his Pokédex and scanned Salazzle.

Salazzle, the Toxic Lizard Pokémon

The evolved form of a female Salandit

Type: Poison/Fire

For some reason, only females have been found. It creates a reverse harem of male Salandit that it lives with. The male Salandit serves and worships her day and night; no matter the task.

"The Pokédex did say only female Salandit evolves," Sora remembered. He figured that the Salandit Riku has is a male. He looks at Pidgeotto and he saw how exhausted Pidgeotto is from the battle with Janine's Venonat. He drew out Pidgeotto's Pokéball and called him back. "Return Pidgeotto!" He took out another Pokéball and threw it. "Sandshrew! Let's go!" The Pokéball lets out Sandshrew getting ready for battle.

"So a Ground Type against my Salazzle?" Janine asked. "A very good strategy. But will it be enough?"

"There's only one way to find out," Sora answered. "Sandshrew! Slash now!" Sandshrew ran towards Salazzle. He got close enough to make the strike.

"Block that with Dragon Claw!" Janine ordered. Salazzle blocked it with her claw. "Now use Flamethrower!" Salazzle hits Sandshrew dead on. As the flames engulfed Sandshrew, he started to glow within the flames. Sora looked into the flames as he and his friends knew what it meant. Sandshrew was evolving. Sandshrew grew into a Pokémon with sharp spikes on his back and now his claws are long and sharp.

"Yes! Sandslash!" Sora exclaimed taking out his Pokédex.

Sandslash, the Mouse Pokémon

The evolved form of Sandshrew

Type: Ground

Sandslash's body is covered by tough spikes, which are hardened sections of its hide. Once a year, the old spikes fall out, to be replaced with new spikes that grow out from beneath the old ones.

"Way to go, Sandslash!" Sora said praising his newly evolved Pokémon. "Slash!" Sandslash swiped at Salazzle hitting his target with full force. "Now use Crush Claw!" Sandslash got his claw ready to make a good strike at Salazzle.

"No you don't!" Janine said. "Salazzle! Dragon Claw!" Salazzle charged at Sandslash with a full force of her move. The two Pokémon passed each other with both swinging their claws.

The two Pokémon stood like two samurai in their stance. Kairi, Pikachu, Psyduck, and the Alolan nine watched anxiously not knowing who made the hit.

Sora and Janine watched their Pokémon in their stance waiting for the results. After a few seconds, Salazzle falls on the ground faced down.

"Return Salazzle!" Janine said calling her fallen Pokémon back. She looks over to Sora. The way you handled your Pokémon is impressive. But the battle's not over yet!" Janine took one more Pokéball. "Go Golbat!" Janine threw the Pokéball as it lets a bat Pokémon that has a wide mouth to match its body. Sora took his Pokédex and scanned the bat Pokémon. The image of the Pokédex shows that the Pokémon has larger fangs than the one he's seeing.

Golbat, the Bat Pokémon

The evolved form of Zubat

Type: Poison/Flying

Golbat loves to drink the blood of living things. It is particularly active in the pitch black of night. This Pokémon flits around in the night skies, seeking fresh blood.

"So that's what Zubat will evolve into," Sora said. He took Sandslash's Pokéball. "Come back, Sandslash." He took out one more Pokéball. "Charmander! Go!"

The Pokéball lets Charmander out as he positioned himself for battle.

"Charmander!" Charmander said.

"Golbat! Poison Fang!" Janine ordered. Golbat moved in with its fangs foaming with poison.

"Charmander, dodge and use Fire Fang!" Sora ordered as Charmander leapt at Golbat making the hit.

"Golbat! Screech!" Janine called when Golbat let out a screeching. Charmander covers his nonexistent ears.

"Use Slash!" Sora oredered. Charmander jumps in the air and hits Golbat on mark. "Full power Flamethrower!"

Charmander took in a full breath as he let out a huge Flamethrower. Similar to the Flamethrower that Janine's Salazzle had unleashed, Golbat became engulfed in flames. When the flames subsided, Golbat fell to the ground with a puff of smoke coming out of its mouth.

Sora had won the battle. Janine smiled as she calls her Golbat to its Pokéball.

"You're even better than I thought, Sora," Janine said shaking his hand. "You gave it your all, Sora."

"Thanks Janine," Sora said. "You did good too." Janine smiled at Sora's kind compliment. She joined him and his friends for lunch.

Janine was reluctant to join them for lunch, but she couldn't disagree with her stomach. Janine smiled as her bowl of ramen was presented to her. As Kairi gave a bowl to each of them, Sora introduced them to her. Kairi even presented some Pokémon food for Janine's Pokémon.

"Itadakimasu!" Janine said putting her palms together. Janine took a bite of hers and enjoying the ramen Kairi had made. "This is amazingly good! It's almost like the ramen my mother used to make!"

"Thanks Janine," Kairi said blushing. "Just glad to see someone else enjoying it."

"You keep cooking like this and Sora will get as fat as Sophocles," Acerola joked.

"Hey!" Sora and Sophocles both said at once. Acerola snickered along with Kiawe and Mallow.

"You know she's joking," Mallow said still snickering.

"Well I don't think that it's funny if you're going to poke fun at me along with him," Sophocles pouted.

"Oh, thanks for the mural support," Sora sarcastically said.

"Okay enough with the jokes," Hapu said. "I want to know is how did you get a hold of a Salazzle?"

"I came across it when I was doing my ninja training when I was on Akala Island in Alola," Janine explained. "My father has been sending me to do some ninja training in order for me to become in spirit, body, mind, and Pokémon training."

"That explains it," Lillie said.

After they ate, Janine has temporarily joined the group to lead them the rest of the way to Fushia City. Once they arrived, Janine lead them to the local Pokémon Center.

"This is where I have to leave you," Janine said. "But I'll meet you over in the Fushia City Gym once your Pokémon are in perfect condition."

"Thanks Janine," Sora said. "But how will we know when we find it?"

Janine pointed down the street.

"Just follow this road," she said pointing to her right. "It greatly resembles a dojo. I will meet you all there." With that done, Janine took her leave.

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine entered the Pokémon Center for Sora's Pokémon to recover from his battle against Janine.

"I guess my strategy will go better than I thought," Sora said in his thoughts. "Maybe I should use Sandslash when things gets hairy. And I could use Charmander, Litten, or Pidgeotto as back up. But how will it go? I guess I'll have to wait and see." Sora had to make his plan carefully because he remembered when Erika told him that the Gym Leader is tough and wondered how tough.

Once Sora's team has fully recovered, Sora and his friends finally arrived at the Fushia City Gym. It was exactly how Janine described it. Once inside, Sora had to make his presence known.

"Hello?" Sora called out. "I'm here for a Gym battle against the Gym Leader!" Sora said looking around. "Is anybody home?"

"Somebody is indeed home," a familiar voice called out. A small black ball came out from the shadows and explodes once it hit the floor. Black smoke covers the Gym as everyone started coughing.

"Janine?" Sora coughed. Once the smoke cleared he and his friends did see Janine along with an older man wearing a ninja outfit similar to Janine's. "Who are you?"

"I am Koga," he introduced. "The Gym Leader of the Fushia City Gym. And you must be my challenger Sora, I presume."

"That's me," Sora admitted as he nodded. "And I came here to challenge you to a battle."

Koga grinned.

"Then I accept your challenge," Koga said. "I shall expect you to give me a good battle like you did my daughter."

"Wait a minute!" Sora eyes widened. "Janine is your daughter?"

Everyone looked at the kunoichi and she nodded to confirm it.

"Just didn't think it was worth mentioning," Janine said.

"Well that clears it up," Sora said. "How many Pokémon should we use?"

"In a rush for defeat, are we?" Koga grinned. "We shall use five Pokémon each."

"Fine with me," Sora said.

Kairi with Pikachu on her lap along the Alolan nine took their seats getting ready to watch the battle about to go underway. Janine served as the referee for the battle.

"The battle between the Gym Leader Koga and the challenger Sora Ketchum from Pallet Town is about to begin!" Janine announced. "Both trainers will be using five Pokémon each! Only the challenger will be permitted to make substitutions! The battle will be over if either the Gym Leader's or the challenger's Pokémon are unable to battle. Begin!"

Koga threw the first Pokéball and threw it.

"Venomoth! Come to my aid!" Koga called. The Pokéball unleashes a Venomoth. Sora took out his Pokédex and pointed at the moth Pokémon.

Venomoth, the Poison Moth Pokémon

The evolved form of Venonat

Type: Bug/Poison

Venomoth is nocturnal—it is a Pokémon that only becomes active at night. Its favorite prey are small insects that gather around streetlights, attracted by the light in the darkness.

"Okay, my first Pokémon will be Pidgeotto!" Sora said pulling out his Pokéball and throwing it. Pidgeotto flapped his wings awaiting his trainer's instructions.

"Venomoth! Psybeam!" Koga commaned. Venomoth fired its Psybeam attack right towards Pidgeotto and by the way it came out, it was a strong one.

"Dodge that!" Sora called as Pidgeotto moved out of the way. "Dive in with Wing Attack!" Pidgeotto flew at the moth Pokémon with his wings out to hit his target.

"Double Team!" Koga called. Several images of Venomoth appeared hoping to throw Sora off guard.

"That's not gonna work!" Sora said. "Aerial Ace!" Pidgeotto flew at a high speed hitting Venomoth on mark. Venomoth did take a big hit, but it didn't take much.

"My Venomoth isn't easily subdued," Koga said. "Disable!" Venomoth's eyes glowed blue as the attack hits Pidgeotto. Sora knew Pidgeotto won't be able to use Aerial Ace until Disable wore off. Koga wanted to wrap this up fast. "Use your Sludge Bomb!" Venomoth fired a barrage of huge sludge at the bird Pokémon. Sora knew his Pidgeotto was in trouble now. "Finish it with Psybeam!" Venomoth fired another Psybeam landing a critical hit. Pidgeotto fell to the ground knocked out.

"Pidgeotto is unable to battle!" Janine announced. "Venomoth wins!"

Kairi and the Alolan nine were starting to get nervous.

"Sora is having a shakey start right from the word go," Kiawe said.

"The way he handled that Venomoth is nothing to sneeze at," Illima said.

"He needs to think of something and fast," Lana said as Mina nodded.

"Hang in there, Sora," Kairi said in her thoughts.

Sora called Pidgeotto back and pulled out another Pokéball and threw it.

"Okay Charmander!" Sora said. "Your turn!" The Pokéball lets out Charmander.

"Char-Char!" Charmander said entering the battle.

"Start things up with Slash!" Sora ordered.

"Char!" Charmander charged at the bug Pokémon about to swipe at Venomoth. Koga scoffed as he he grinned.

"You forget that it won't be easy," Koga said. "Double Team!" Venomoth made several images of itself again. Charmander started to look around trying to figure out which one was real.

"Don't lose your cool, Charmander!" Sora called out. "Flamethrower! Let's go!" Charmander fired Flamethrower all over the place trying to find the real Venomoth. It went on until he found the real one. "Move in with Fire Fang!" Charmander ran towards Venomoth hitting the bug Pokémon with a strong attack.

"Psybeam!" Koga called. Venomoth fired its Psybeam right at Charmander, but it wasn't as strong as the first two time it was used. Charmander dodged the move getting off his opponent, but Venomoth wasn't flying properly. "Disable!" Venomoth fired Disable at Charmander so that he won't use Fire Fang again. But Sora had another trick up his sleeve.

"Move in with Dragon Claw!" Sora called. Charmander charged at Venomoth and hitting it with a strong Dragon Claw.

"Venomoth use Double Team now!" Venomoth created several images of itself again, but quickly disappeared due to Venomoth's exhaustion.

"What just happened?" Kiawe asked. "Venomoth just used Double Team, but all the fakes just disappeared. Why?"

"Venomoth must be exhausted," Kairi said. "He must have used up some of his energy firing Psybeam. This is Charmander's chance!"

"His Venomoth's pooped," Sora said in his thoughts. "Now to wrap this up." Sora spoke up, "Finish up with one last Flamethrower!" Charmander fired his Flamethrower right at Venomoth knocking the poison moth Pokémon out.

"Venomoth is unable to battle!" Janine announced. "Charmander wins!"

"Way to go, Charmander!" Sora said.

"Charmander!" Charmander said giving a victory pose. Koga calls his fallen Venomoth back.

"Well done," Koga said. "Judging by that display, you have raised your Charmander well. But we shall see how you handle my next one." Koga took out another Pokéball. "Arbok! Come to my aid!" Koga threw the Pokéball letting out his Arbok. Sora pulled out his Pokéball and calls Charmander back.

"Come back, Charmander," Sora said. He pulled out another Pokéball. "Litten! Go!" Sora lets out his Litten as he hisses at Arbok. Arbok stares at the cat Pokémon not intimidated. Sora remembered Jessie's Arbok even though it was just one battle since evolving. But he knew that Koga's Arbok looks stronger. "Okay Litten! Shadow Claw, let's go!" Litten meows as he got the Shadow Claw ready.

"Arbok! Block it with Thunder Fang!" Koga ordered. Arbok charged at Litten with lightning emitting from his fangs. Litten gets hit, but not without giving Arbok a hit to go with it. Both Pokémon are thrown back. "Mud Bomb!" Arbok fires a ball made of mud right at Litten.

"Dodge it!" Sora called as Litten jumps out of the way. "Fire Fang!" Litten moves in giving Arbok a fiery bite on its body.

"Don't give in!" Koga called. "Wrap!" Arbok wrapped its tail around Litten. Litten tried to break free, but Arbok was just too strong.

"Litten!" Sora called to him.

Kairi, Pikachu and the Alolan nine watched horribly as the large snake was putting the squeeze on Litten.

"Pika!" Pikachu exclaimed.

"Litten!" Kairi called out.

Hearing both voices of Sora and Kairi, Litten's eyes began blazing as Litten gave a loud roar as he started to evolve. Arbok lets go of Litten. Litten turned into a slightly larger cat, and his body was red orange and black markings. Its upper half is mostly black, while its lower half is mostly red-orange. The black area has several red-orange stripes: one running up the center of its head forming a short cowlick with one horizontal stripe through the center and a slightly V-shaped stripe at the bottom of its eyes, one running down its spine with two more stripes going across it, and two rings around its tail. The lower half of its body simply has two black rings around each leg. Its forelegs are more developed than its hind legs. Each paw has three toes, but the front ones are larger with short, black claws. Its tail has several tufts of fur on the tip. Sora took out his Pokédex and scanned the newly evolved Pokémon.

Torracat, the Fire Cat Pokémon

The evolved form of Litten

Type: Fire

When facing a powerful enemy, Torracat's fighting spirit gets pumped up, and its fire bell blazes hotter. In the midst of battle, the fire pouch on Torracat's neck rings like a bell and produces stronger flames than usual.

"Torracat," Sora beamed.

"Did you see that?!" Lana questioned.

"Litten evolved into a Torracat!" Lillie stated.

"Looks like Sora is about to make a blazing comeback," Mallow jested.

"You evolved when Arbok had the squeeze on you. Now let's give it what we've got! Fire Fang!" Sora ordered. Torracat charges at Arbok. Arbok tried to dodge it, but Torracat was too quick. Torracat's Fire Fang was even stronger than before. "That's the way! Shadow Claw!" Torracat swung at Arbok with Shadow Claw knocking the snake Pokémon out.

"Arbok is unable to battle," Janine announced. "Torracat wins!" Koga withdrew his Arbok.

"You've battled honorably, my friend," Koga said kindly. "You deserve a good rest." He puts Arbok's Pokéball away and pulls out another. "Excellent job, Sora. Your newly evolved Pokémon is quite impressive." Koga threw his Pokéball. "Muk! Come to my aid!" The Pokéball lets out a Muk as it enters battle.

"Muk! Muk!" Muk said.

"Koga has a Muk too?!" Sophocles exclaimed.

"Looks like it," Lana said.

"Yeah," Mina agreed.

"Koga's Muk looks stronger than Sora's Muk," Kairi pointed out. "I can tell how strong he looks."

"I agree," Illima said. "His Muk obviously has more experience in battle than Sora's. And I doubt Sora will find this to be easy."

"Torracat, you still good to go?" Sora asked. Torracat meows as he nodded. "Great! Use Flamethrower!" Torracat fires a powerful Flamethrower attack. Muk manages to dodge the move just by jumping out the way. This caught Sora completely by surprize. "What?! No way!"

Koga grinned as he now had Torracat where he wanted him.

"Muk! Use your Sludge Wave!" Koga oredered. Muk fired a huge wave of sludge right at Torracat. His body was covered by disgusting sludge. "Now finish it with Dark Pulse!" Muk fired Dark Pulse from his mouth hitting Torracat right on mark. Torracat fell to the ground knocked out.

"Torracat is unable to battle!" Janine announced. "Muk wins!"

"Just as I thought," Illima stated. "That Muk is stronger than any of us thought."

"He still has Charmander," Lillie said. "But I don't think he'll last longer than he did against Venomoth."

Kairi watched on rooting for Sora. He called Torracat back and pulled out another Pokéball.

"Okay, it's now official," Sora said. "Sandslash! Go!" Sora called letting Sandslash out. Sandslash rolls into the battle doing a roll before entering his battle stance.

"So a Ground Type against my Poison Types," Koga grinned. "You came well prepared. But will it be enough?"

"It's not over till it's over," Sora said. "Sandslash! Slash!" Sandslash charges right towards Muk.

"Sludge Wave!" Koga ordered. Muk fired Sludge Wave right towards Sandslash.

"Dig!" Sandslash dug into the ground to avoid Muk's Sludge Wave. Muk looked around the ground waiting for the opposing Ground Type to jump out at any moment. Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine watched on. Kairi crossed her fingers hoping that Sandslash will make his move count. Suddenly, Sandslash pops out of the ground and swung his claws at Muk making a critical hit. "Nice one, Sandslash! Crush Claw!" Sandslash swung his Claw right at Muk hitting the sludge Pokémon, giving him no chance to dodge in time. Muk fell to the ground beaten.

"Muk is unable to battle," Janine announced. "Sandslash wins!"

"Return Muk," Koga said holding Muk's Pokéball. "Your Sandslash is most impressive. It managed to take down one of my strongest Pokémon without a problem. But this one will be a real problem, I assure you!" Koga threw his Pokéball. "Weezing! Come to my aid!" The Pokéball lets out a Weezing.

"First an Arbok, now a Weezing," Sora said in his thoughts. "I don't doubt Koga's Weezing is better in a battle than James' Weezing." Sora spoke up, "Sandslash! Slash attack! Go!" Sandslash ran towards his hovering opponent and readied his claw to strike.

"Weezing! Protect!" Koga ordered. Sansdlash's slash bounced off as a protective force field forms around Weezing. "Now use Sludge Bomb!"

"Weezing!" Weezing fired a barrage of sludge from both of its faces.

"Dodge it with Dig!" Sora called as Sandslash dug into the earth again. Sandslash climbed back out a few short seconds later. "Swing at Weezing with Crush Claw!" Sandslash did exactly that hitting Weezing on the spot.

"Destiny Bond!" Weezing's eyes glowed light purple as Weezing was knocked out with that devastating Crush Claw.

"Good hit, Sandslash!" Sora cheered. Sora's celebration was cut short when the same light purple aura surrounded Sandslash and he too fell to the ground knocked out.

"Both Weezing and Sandslash are unable to battle!" Janine announced. "This round is a draw!"

"Sora's doing pretty good despite a shakey start," Acerola said.

"Yeah," Mina said.

"But he's just got one left," Kairi said. "I know you can beat whatever he's got." Kairi held Pikachu pretty tight. Sora called Sandslash back and drew out Charmander's Pokéball as he threw it.

"Back to action, Charmander!" Sora said as the Pokéball lets out Charmander.

"Char!" Charmander said fired up.

"Ah, so it's Charmander again," Koga said as he drew out his Pokéball. "Now my final Pokémon shall be..." Koga threw his Pokéball. "Crobat!" The Pokéball opens up to reveal a dark purple bat-like Pokémon with two pairs of wings, and it has tiny feet. Sora took out his Pokédex and scanned this new Pokémon.

Crobat, the Bat Pokémon

The evolved form of Golbat

Type: Poison/Flying

If this Pokémon is flying by fluttering only a pair of wings on either the forelegs or hind legs, it's proof that Crobat has been flying a long distance. It switches the wings it uses if it is tired.

"So that's Zubat's fully evolved form," Sora said to himself. "I know for one thing it'll be stronger than Janine's Golbat, that's for sure. Better give it everything I've got." Sora clutched his fist. "Okay Charmander! Fire Fang!"

"Char!" Charmander shouted as he leapt into the air with his mouth burning.

"Block that with Wing Attack!" Koga ordered hitting Charmander hard. Charmander was really on the ropes now. "Finish it with Bite!" Crobat flies towards Charmander. With one strong bite, Charmander fell to the ground beaten.

"Charmander is unable to battle!" Janine announced. "Crobat wins!"

"One Pokémon left each," Mina spoke up.

"And we know which one it is," Kiawe said.

The rest of the Alolan nine nodded in agreement as Kairi and Pikachu watched intensely, knowing that this could go either way. Sora had no other choice but to use his last Pokémon as is.

"Psyduck! Go!" Sora threw the Pokéball letting out his Psyduck.

"Psy," Psyduck said.

"A Psyduck against my Crobat," Koga said. "Now that is an interesting choice. And it doesn't even look adequate."

"Don't judge a book by its cover," Sora said feeling confident. "I know my Psyduck will pull through." Sora smiled as a small stream of sweat ran down his cheek. "I hope," Sora said in his thoughts.

"That remains to be seen," Koga said. "Crobat! Use Bite now!" Crobat flies towards Psyduck with such speed.

"Psyduck! Dodge it!" Sora called out. Psyduck just stood there as Crobat took a bite to his head. "Psyduck! Shake it off!" Psyduck just stood there while Crobat kept biting Psyduck's head.

"How amusing," Koga said. "You sounded serious when you first approached me; it's appropriate you choose to throw the fight with such a laughable Pokémon. Crobat! Wing Attack!" Crobat hits Psyduck hard.

"Psy! Psyduck! Psy-y-y-y!" Psyduck said in pain.

"Psyduck! Hang in there!" Sora called out.

"Oh no," Kairi said. "This is exactly what I was worried about."

The Alolan nine turned to Kairi.

"What do you mean?" Sophicles said.

"Psyduck wasn't able to use his attacks properly," Kairi explained. "Sora tried get Psyduck passed that, but it dosen't look like Psyduck has improved."

"Pika," Pikachu shred her expression.

Kairi was about to cover her eyes when Lillie spoke up.

"Guys," Lillie said. "Look at Psyduck!" Everyome looked Psyduck. "It looks like Psyduck's headache is getting worse."

"What about it?" Hapu asked.

"I really don't know," Lillie said. "But it looks like something is about to happen."

"Psyduck!" Sora called out horrified by what's about to happen. Just as Crobat was about to make the finishing blow; Crobat just stopped in its tracks. "Huh?"

"What?!" Koga exclaimed.

Psyduck's eyes were glowing blue as a blue aura was surrounding Crobat who was trying so desperately to break through.

"Is that Confusion?" Kairi questioned.

"Pika?" Pikachu also questioned.

"Psyduck..." Sora said in disbelief. Psyduck threw Crobat with his telekinetic move passed Koga and hitting the wall. Sora's fears disappeared as he smiled. "That was awesome, Psyduck! Now use Water Gun!"

"Psyduck!" Psyduck took in a deep breath before firing a strong Water Gun hitting Crobat on mark.

"What is this?!" Koga exclaimed in his thoughts. "How can this be? This Psyduck was just standing there not doing anything. Perhaps I should have heeded that boy's advice."

"Now use Scratch!" Sora ordered as Psyduck ran towards Crobat scratching the bat Pokémon's face.

"Crobat! Poison Fang!" Koga ordered as he was determined to end this. Crobat moved in with Poison Fang to hit its opponent.

"Confusion!" Sora called out as Psyduck's eyes glowed blue again and sent Crobat back again. The attack was strong enough to bring Crobat down. Crobat struggled to get back up only to fall back in exhaustion.

"Crobat is unable to battle!" Janine announced. "Psyduck wins! The battle goes to the challenger, Sora Ketchum of Pallet Town!"

"You did it, Psyduck!" Sora exclaimed running up to Psyduck giving him a big hug. Psyduck's eyes reverts back to normal as felt the tight squeeze of his trainer.

"Psy-y-y!" Psyduck said.

Koga approached Sora applauding him for his victory and Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine joining in, with Kairi giving Sora a big hug.

"You have battled honorably, young Sora," Koga smiled. "You have proven yourself to be a worthy opponent. And the power that your Psyduck has displayed had completely taken me by surprise."

"Thank you, Koga," Sora said. "I've gotta admit, I was just as surprised as you. I don't know what exactly happened, but I'm very glad my Psyduck has came through for me."

"Psy," Psyduck said.

"You should be proud," Koga said. "Your Pokémon are truly remarkable, just like their trainer. So now I shall reward you with this." Janine walked up with a chest. Koga opens the chest to reveal a badge in a shape of a heart. "As proof of your victory, it honors me to reward you with the Soul Badge." Koga handed the badge to Sora and bows his head in respect. Sora returned the favor by bowing his head in the same fashion.

"The Soul Badge makes five," Sora beamed. "Three more to go."

"The Gym you shall challenge next is located in Saffron City," Koga said. "The Gym Leader in that Gym is nothing to sneeze at. But before you go, I recommend that you visit the Safari Zone."

"The Safari Zone?" Sora asked.

"It is located within the city," Koga said. "It serves as an amusement park to which you can catch the wild Pokémon that resides there."

"It's been a big attraction around here for many years," Janine added. "I wish you luck for your next Gym battle."

"Thanks," Sora said.

With five badges now under his belt, Sora niw has his sights set on Saffon City for his sixth Gym battle. But before they did, they heeded Koga's advice on hitting the Safari Zone. It was exactly how Sora pictured it. The group entered only to see a man wearing an explorer's helmet.

"Welcome, my young friends," the man greeted. "And what can I do for you?"

"Well, we just heard this place is where we can catch some wild Pokémon, is that right?" Sora asked.

"That is correct," the man said. "But here you will find that there are different rules."

"Like what?" Kiawe asked.

"Well, you won't be battling the Pokémon here to catch them," the man explained as he pulled out some berries rocks and Pokéballs that has a camo top. "Instead you will just throw these Safari Balls at the Pokémon. You will also have to bait them with these berries or coax them by throwing these rocks at them. But mostly, they'll run if you throw the rocks at them."

"That sounds hard," Sora said. "But also fun!"

"Somebody's feeling enthusiastic," the man said smiling. "Also it's a good thing that you just happen to arrive, because we're having our monthly special starting today!"

"Monthly special?" Lana questioned.

"What kind?" Lillie asked.

"I'm glad you asked, young lady," the man said smiling. "We're having an Alola region special! Starting today!"

"Alola region special?!" Sora, Kairi, and the Alolan nine all exclaimed.

"Pika?" Pikachu added.

"Our special dictates that we are having Pokémon that can normally be found in Alola are inside these very walls just waiting to be captured," the man explained. "The Safari Zone participates in a regional special. That means Pokémon trainers can come in here and try their luck into catching wild Pokémon that can only be found in a certain region. You should have been here at the Unova special we had two months ago. It was a mad house here."

"How many trainers has come by here today?" Kairi asked.

"So far, you're the first one," the man answered as he looked at Sora. "I take it that you wanna try your luck."

"Yeah!" Sora said. "I mean I have all three Alolan starters and a Lycanroc under my belt. And I can try my luck with adding more to my team. Kanto and Alola."

"I like your attitude, boy!" He smiled. The man handed the thirty Safari Balls along with the rocks and berries to Sora. "Try to catch as many as you can and have fun!" Sora smiled as he gave a thumbs up when he went in alone. Pikachu stayed with Kairi as she and the Alolan nine stayed behind. Sora looked around as he hid in the high grass. He looked around as he spotted a group of Rhyhorn, rocky rhino-like Pokémon. He looked carefully as he spotted the biggest one. The horn was impressively huge. Sora threw the Safari Ball at the Rhyhorn. The Safari Ball wobbles around for a bit. Stars swirls around confirming the catch. He decides to send it to Professor Oak's lab.

Sora repeated the process when he came across a Tauros, a bull-like Pokémon with three tails. A Venonat with blue compound eyes and in a slightly darker shade of purple. A Kangaskhan, a large bulky kangaroo-like Pokémon with a smaller one in the pouch. The baby is a lavender color. A Growlithe by leaving a berry by a tree. He came across a woodpecker-like Pokémon, a Pikipek. He crossed A Salandit, and Sora took a look at the eyelashes indicating that it's a female. And finally a small dragon-like Pokémon with a upper body while the lower body is black. It has a large yellow heart scale on its forehead. It has six gray scales around its shoulders, with a tinge of yellow in it. It has a gray tail, with a yellow a yellow scale on the tip of its tail. It has a slight and brownish red in color. It has a small tuft of feather on its head and chest. It has three yellow claws on each of its claws, a Jangmo-o.

Sora was pleased with himself. Not only he earned his fifth badge, he also caught eight new Pokémon. Sora left the Safari Zone feeling satisfied with his haul. He looked over his Pokédex and smiled at the new Pokémon he had added. He sent Sandslash, Torracat, and Psyduck for his Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Tauros.

Our young friends have now set off for Saffron City for Sora's sixth Gym battle. And now he was even closer than ever to reach his goal. Makes you wonder what other surprises are in store for them. Just wait and see.