Pokemon Fan Fiction / Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Pokémon: Sora's Journey ❯ Opening Ceremony ( Chapter 73 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Episode 73: Opening Ceremony

The Pokémon League was just a week away and Sora was ready for the tournament to begin. Sora took Silvally, Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, and Lycanroc with him for the tournament to start.

"You've trained long and hard for the Pokémon League, Sora," Professor Oak said. "You have come a long way since you began your journey. Despite a rocky start you worked hard to get to where you are today."

"I know I have, professor," Sora said.

"Well then, you should get a move on. Gary had just left and I suggest you do the same," Professor Oak said.

"Right then. Don't wanna be late," Sora said. Sora and his friends got ready to head out to the Indigo Plateau for the Pokémon League tournament. "I'm all set." Sora stepped outside his house with Kairi, the Alolan nine, Terra, Ventus, Aqua, Sarah and Harper waiting for him. Riku, Naminé, Eevee, Lea and Isa decided to stick around Pallet Town a bit longer. "You sure you guys aren't coiming with?"

"Sorry Sora. It's been a while since I saw my mom, so I'll be spending a little time with her," Riku said.

"And Lea and I will be sticking around to be Professor Oak's assistants," Isa said.

"But we'll be watching you on TV when the competition starts," Lea said. "Get that memorized."

"We will," Sora said.

Delia and Kairi's grandmother came out to see them off.

"Thank you very much for having us," Mallow said.

"You've helped us a lot," Lillie said.

"It was no worry, dears. I cannot remember how lively it was before all of you came along," Kairi's grandmother said. "Take care, Togepi."

"And thanks for having us too, Mrs. Ketchum," Sophocles said.

"I enjoyed having all of you here," Delia said.

"Before you go, Sora. I just want to say to you is do your best. I'm sure your hard work and sacrifice will pay off," Professor Oak said.

"I will. Come on, guys. Let's go!" Sora said.

"Pikachu!"

The group said their goodbyes to their families and friends and set off for the Indigo Plateau opening ceremonies. It took them a couple of hours and they finally made it to the Indigo Plateau. They made it just in time for the opening ceremony. They were approached by an elderly man with a huge white beard wearing a baseball cap backwards and a blue and purple stripe at the center. He also wore light brown shorts, white long socks and brown shoes.

"Well. You came just in time," the old man said.

"That's a good thing," Sora said.

The Alolan nine all looked at him quite confused as did Lana's sisters. They tug on Lana's shirt.

"Is that man Santa?" The twins asked making everyone do an anime-style fall.

"No, it's not! That guy is Charlie Goodshow. He's the president of the League Competition Committee," Sora explained.

"That is correct, young man. And I take it that you'll be competing in the Pokémon League," Charlie Goodshow asked.

"Yes sir," Sora said.

"And may I ask for your name?" President Goodshow asked.

"It's Sora Ketchum," he answered. "I came from Pallet Town."

"Sora Ketchum," Charles Goodshow said. He looks at the Pikachu on his shoulder. "I can see that you care deeply for your Pokémon."

"I do," Sora said smiling.

"That's good. Pokémon and their trainers can only get stronger when they work together. And seeing you and your Pikachu is living proof of that," President Goodshow said. "Also, I'm looking for some trainers who would carry the flame of Moltres to begin the competition."

Sora, Kairi, the Alolan nine, Terra, Ventus, Aqua, and the twins looked among themselves for a moment and thought about it. Sora gave his answer.

"It'll be an honor, sir," Sora said smiling.

It didn't take long before Sora had been approved to carry the flame of Moltres. Sora got changed into a joggers uniform to carry on the torch. Sora had chosen Lycanroc for the opening ceremony. Riku, Naminé, and Eevee were on their way to the Indigo Plateau when they came across Team Rocket hearing their plan.

"Just imagine what money we can make with that," Jessie said.

"We can be even richer than the boss! We can even buy Team Rocket and make Cassidy and Butch our personal servants!" James said.

"And kick that snobby Persian out on the curve!" Meowth said.

"We're in the money! We're in the money!" Team Rocket sang.

"No, you are not," Riku said making an entrance. "You're in anything but the money." Riku took out a Pokéball and a Premier Ball. He tosses them up to let out Incineroar and Type: Null. "Incineroar! Type: Null! Teach them a lesson." Both Pokémon obeyed.

"You're not going to get in the way!" Jessie said taking out a Pokéball. "Arbok! Go!"

"Get in there, Victreebel!" James said. Both Pokéballs opens to let out Arbok and Victreebel. The flycatcher Pokémon chomps onto James's head once again. "How many times must I tell you not to do that with me!"

"Incineroar! Fire Punch! Type: Null! Aerial Ace!" Riku ordered. Incineroar throws a fiery punch to Arbok while Type: Null flips and charges towards Victreebel. Both Pokémon and their trainers takes a a series of hits. "Incineroar! Darkest Lariat!" Incineroar performs a lariat and spins into Team Rocket sending them flying in the air.

"IT LOOKS LIKE TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAIN!" Team Rocket shouted.

"That should take care of them for a while," Riku said.

"Eevee," Eevee agreed.

"But for how long?" Naminé asked.

"Who knows?" Riku asked.

Pikachu was with Kairi for the opening ceremony while Sora was passed the flame into his torch and ran with Lycanroc. Gary was among the spectators and many of them were in awe at the sight of his Lycanroc. Gary was amazed by the sight of this particular Lycanroc.

"A Lycanroc? How could I not have noticed that? That isn't the Midday Form or the Midnight Form! What form is that?" Gary took out his Pokédex.

No sufficient data available!

"No data?!" Gary exclaimed.

Edgar watched as Sora and Lycanroc has made it to the Indigo Plateau. Sora hands President Goodshow the torch.

"President Goodshow. It pleases me to present you the flame of Moltres," Sora said.

"Thank you," President Goodshow said. "I trust that you will all be present for the opening ceremony tomorrow."

"Yes sir," Sora and his friends said.

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, Togepi, the Alolan nine, Terra, Ventus, Aqua, and the twins looked around and took in the sights of the Indigo Plateau. As promised, Sora spotted Tai, Kari, Matt, TK, Izzy, Sara, Mimi, Joe, Davis, Ken, Cody, and Yolei. He also spotted Takato, Henry, Rika, Guil, Jeri, Kenta, Kazu, and Suzy as well. He even spotted Takuya, Koji ,Kouichi, Tommy, Zoe, JP, Mime Jr., and Munchlax as well. Edgar approached Sora from behind.

"We meet again, Sora," Edgar said. Sora turned to see Edgar standing there. "And it looks like you brought more of your friends with you."

"Hey, Edgar. How have you been?" Sora asked.

"I have been preparing for the Pokémon League tournament just the same as you, Sora. And don't expect the results to be the same as the last time." It was obvious to Sora that Edgar hasn't forgotten about the battle they had while training with Lillie and how Sora beat all three Porygon evolutions. Kairi, Terra, Ventus, Aqua, and Lillie especially hadn't forgotten it.

"I don't," Sora said.

"I hope not," Edgar said taking his leave. "I hope that I battle again really soon."

"Who was that, Lana?" The twins asked their big sister.

"I'm guessing that was Edgar. Sora battled him and won," Lana said.

Riku, Naminé, and Eevee made it to the Indigo Plateau for the opening ceremony. They walked down the streets to get to the place their staying at when Gary spotted them while drinking his tea with his cheerleaders.

"Well, looks who's here," Gary said.

Sora and his friends just stopped and looked at Gary with a cold look on their faces. The twins just looked at him confused.

"You guys hear that? Did anyone?" Sora pretended not to notice him.

"You're probably just hearing things, Sora," Riku said.

"You're right. Let's just keep going," Sora said taking his leave.

"Hey! Don't pretend that you didn't see me! Get over here!" Gary barked at him.

"Oh, it's you. What do you want now? Didn't you learn your lesson from last time?" Sora asked.

"It was your fault I got grounded by my mom!" Gary hissed.

"Funny. I remember it differently. I seem to recall you going ballistic on me over a girl," Sora said.

"And I just happen to come along," Riku said coldly.

Kairi, Naminé, Terra, Ventus, Aqua, and the Alolan nine all looked at Gary with sour looks on their faces not forgetting about what Gary did.

"Who is that?" Lana's sisters asked.

"Nobody worth mentioning," Lana said.

"And the same nobody whose going to be in a world of hurt if he dosen't watch himself," Hapu said cracking her knuckles.

"Yeah," Mina said coldly.

"So why should we have anything to do with someone like him?" Mallow asked.

"Especially after what he did," Kiawe said.

Everyone else agreed with that statement. They turned their backs on him.

"Hey! Don't ignore me!" Gary said.

"Why shouldn't we?" Terra asked.

Gary looked at the sour looks on their faces.

"What you did was inexcusable and immature," Aqua said.

"So, we not one of us wanna have to look at your smug face," Sophocles said.

"So, do us all a favor and get lost," Riku said.

Gary growled at the comments made at him. He even looked at Kairi and she was just plain disgusted just by looking at him. She turns away from him.

"Oh, come on! Are you really going to take the side of a loser over someone like me?! I mean, what does he have what I don't have?!" Gary asked.

"Are you for serious?" Kiawe asked.

"You honestly don't know what he has and what you don't have?" Illima asked.

"I'll tell you what he does have what you do have," Riku said. "That is a lot of heart. I would know because I have seen it! Sure, Sora may be one of those carefree people, but not carefree enough to be distracted! And he has a girlfriend who will always believe in him! And what do you have? Just an ego that's bigger than a Wailord! And those hussies as well!" The cheerleaders were offended when he called them hussies. "There are several things I can say and do to you, but I won't do it because there are little kids present, but I don't have a problem doing that to you, Gary!"

"Well, let's go. I'm getting tired looking at him," Sora said.

"I couldn't agree more," Kairi said taking her boyfriend's arm into hers.

"Pika."

"Toge."

"Eevee."

"Hey! Hey! Don't walk away from me!" Gary called out to them. They all stopped. Kairi handed Togepi to Sora and gave Gary a cold look. She then gave Gary hard earned slap across the face. Sora, Pikachu, Togepi, Riku, Naminé, Eevee, the Alolan nine, Terra, Ventus, Aqua, and the twins were shocked to witness that. The cheerleaders were also shocked at the sight.

"Why did you just do that?!" Gary yelled.

"Because you deserved it, you selfish brat!" Kairi spat. Gary frowned at what she just called him. "Sora is sweet as candy. And you're as sour as a lemon! Sora may be immature at times, but he's more of a man than you'll ever be! Sora is willing to help anyone in need while you just go around saying that you're better than everyone else! NEWS FLASH! You are not! And you never shown any respect for your opponents! Real Pokémon trainers show respect! And for those reasons, I would never be caught dead with someone like you! So I have this to tell you, Gary Oak! I hate you!" Gary's heart began to shatter into a million pieces when she said she hated him. Those three words echoed into his mind as the image of her as an angel just shattered. They all walked away leaving Gary heartbroken. Ventus took one last look at Gary and giving him an eyelid taunt sticking out his tongue. He walked away with the others.

"She hates me?" Gary asked in a whisper.

"There, there, Gary," one of his cheerleaders said.

"We still love you," another cheerleader said.

"You shouldn't let them distract you," another cheerleader said.

Gary didn't say anything as he felt those words pierce his heart.

The group made it to their quarters for the duration of the tournament and they made themselves at home.

"This place is nice," Acerola said.

"Yeah," Mina agreed.

"Yay!" The twins cheered. The started to jump on one of the beds.

"Harper! Sarah! You shouldn't be jumping on the bed! You'll fall and get hurt!" Lana scolded them.

"How about we have ourselves some pizzas since we're going to have a blast here!" Sophocles said.

"Great idea!" Ventus agreed.

"I'll order. It's going to be on me," Lillie said.

As Lillie ordered the pizzas for their dinner, everyone made themselves at home when they turned on the TV and saw Ryo battle against Lorelei of the Elite Four and won. The Pokémon Ryo had out was a dragon-like Pokémon resembling a seahorse. Sora took out his Pokédex and scanned the Pokémon.

Kingdra, the Dragon Pokémon

The evolved form of Seadra

Type: Water/Dragon

Kingdra sleeps on the seafloor where it is otherwise devoid of life. When a storm arrives, the Pokémon is said to awaken and wander about in search of prey.

One of Lorelei's Pokémon is a Slowbro and Kingdra had beaten the pink Pokémon despite the odds. The pizzas had arrived just in time for everyone to watch some Mickey Mouse cartoons as well as Donald Duck and Goofy as well.

Sora stepped outside while everyone was having a bit of fun. He took the Rainbow Wing out and looked at it. He looked up to the night sky. President Goodshow steps outside and sees Sora outside. Kairi joins her boyfriend outside.

"You okay?" Kairi asked.

"Just thinking," Sora said.

"About what?" Kairi asked.

"Just about everything. Everything we've been through since the beginning. It's kinda funny, it feels like it was yesterday since we met," Sora said.

"I guess," Kairi agreed. "But, at least we've been through it together."

"Yeah, you're right," Sora agreed. He looked at Kairi and blushed at the moonlight shining on her. "You look really good in the moonlight."

"Sora," Kairi said blushing.

"I'm saying it because I mean it," Sora said.

"Well, it means a lot since it came from you," Kairi said.

"And I'm glad that you came along with me and Pikachu. Despite Riku, Naminé, Terra, Ven, Aqua, Lillie, and the others being with us," Sora said.

"I'm glad that I was coming along with you too," Kairi said. "You'd be lost without me."

"Yeah. And that's why I'm happy to have you," Sora said. "And why I love you."

"I love you too, Sora," Kairi said. The couple kiss each other on the lips. President Goodshow smiles at the sight.

"So sweet. Young love," President Goodshow said in his thoughts. He went back inside to get some sleep. "Only to be young again."

On the very next morning, Kairi, Riku, Naminé, Eevee, the Alolan nine, Terra, Ventus, Aqua, and Lana's sisters sat alongside President Goodshow take part of the festivities.

"And the opening ceremony Indigo Plateau Pokémon League is officially under way! This is where tough Pokémon trainers and their Pokémon come to prove their skills, their strength, and their spirit! These hopeful competitors will battle hard to thrive for excellence and victory! The victory being made in on the ranks of the Pokémon Master! And here they come!" The announcer announced. All the competitors come marching onto the battlefield. Sora with Pikachu on his shoulder and Kairi saw Sora smile thinking about the talk they had. Gary was among them. They could tell that Gary was still thinking about what Kairi said. Edgar was right next to Gary and he just scoffed at him. "They all proudly enter the stadium! Each having to prove their worthiness by acquiring all eight Gym Badges!"

"Sora is in a chipper mood today," Acerola pointed out.

"Gee, I wonder why?" Hapu said looking at Kairi with a grin.

Kairi blushed when all her friends were looking at her.

"I would know maybe," Kairi said blushing.

They all stand as they await for the flame of Moltres to the central torch to begin the Indigo Plateau Pokémon League. A girl wearing a joggers uniform comes running in with the torch.

"And now the trainer carrying the flame of Moltres has entered the ring to light the central torch which will burn throughout the duration of the Pokémon League competition!" The announcer announced.

"This is exciting!" Ventus said.

"It sure is," Mallow agreed.

"I just can't wait until it starts! Can you Riku?" Naminé asked. She hears no response. "Riku?" Naminé noticed that Riku is no longer seated next to her; and neither is Eevee. "Where did he go?"

"Hey, look!" Lana said pointing to two mysterious figures at the central torch. And they saw Riku right at the scene. He had Type: Null and Incineroar out of their balls. "Are they supposed to be there?"

"No. They are not," President Goodshow said.

"This is a surprise. It looks like two robed figures representing the League have come to accept the flame," The announcer announced.

"Not if I have anything to say about it," Riku said. "Incineroar! Darkest Lariat! Type: Null! Aerial Ace!" Both Pokémon obeyed and attacked the two robed figures and their disguises burn off to reveal Jessie and James.

"Ow! That hurts," James whined.

"Don't you ever learn from your mistakes?" Riku asked.

"You!" Jessie hissed.

Sora looked up and recognrecognized them, "Team Rocket?! What the hell are they doing here?!"

"We're just here to take the flame of Moltres and sell it to the highest bidder," Jessie said. "And you're not getting in the way!"

"You must be stupider than you look," Riku mocked. "And how are gonna take it?"

"Like this!" Jessie answered as she tossed the torch into the central torch and a giant robot Metapod climbs on.

"Ladies and gentlemen! It appears that the torch is being stolen by a giant mechanical monster!" The announcer announced.

"Incineroar! Break that toy! Darkest Lariat!" Riku ordered as Incineroar spun around and did exactly that breaking the giant robot.

"You'll pay for that! Weezing! Go!" James shouted throwing his Pokéball letting out his Weezing. "Poison Gas!"

"Incineroar! Throat Chop!" Riku ordered as Incineroar performed a straight chop into Weezing. Weezing tried to let out Poison Gas, but nothing was happening. "Now use Fire Punch!" Incineroar throws a fiery punch onto Weezing hitting James. Sora ran up to join the battle.

"Pikachu! Thunderbolt!" Sora ordered.

"Pikachu!" Pikachu fired Thunderbolt right at Team Rocket screaming while they're being shocked.

Suddenly, the flame started to come to life and it took a figure of Moltres. Everyone was at awe at the sight of the fire bird Pokémon. Sora and Riku were especially amazed as well as Pikachu and Eevee. Moltres flies into Team Rocket sending them into the air.

"LOOKS LIKE TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAIN!" Team Rocket shouted as they go flying in the air.

Moltres returns to the central torch and reignites it, beginning the Pokémon League tournament.

"Ladies and gentlemen! The opening ceremonies will now continue! Here is President Goodshow to greet our competitors!" The announcer announced.

President Goodshow smiles as he spoke into the microphone, "Welcome one and all! This day has a very special place! As the flame of Moltres burns passionately, let too your flame burns passionately as you all battle with your hearts and your spirits! It is up to you to keep that flame alive! Along with your heart and your spirit!"

Everyone cheered to the speech's conclusion. Sora and Pikachu looks at each other with a smile on both of their faces.

"We finally made it, Pikachu. Let's see if our hard work and sacrifice has paid off," Sora said.

"Pikachu," Pikachu agreed.

As the opening ceremonies has came to a close, everyone returned to their villa and celebrated with a private party of their own.

"Here's a toast to Sora! The champion of the Indigo Plateau Pokémon League!" Ventus said holding up a cup.

"Don't get ahead of yourself, Ven. I just have to win the tournament first," Sora corrected.

"He's right, Ven. Sora worked hard to get all the way here," Illima said.

"Everything you did was all through all the hard training you did to get to where you are today," Kiawe said.

"And we know that you'll do great in the tournament," Lana said.

"And you shouldn't let that jerk Gary get in the way with his words," Acerola added. "But it wouldn't hurt if I gave him a little nightmare tonight."

"Acerola!" Everyone shouted.

"Joking!" Acerola said laughing.

"That wasn't funny," Sophocles said.

"No it wasn't," Mina said.

"Just can't believe that Team Rocket was stupid enough to try to steal the flame of Moltres," Terra said. "Wouldn't surprise me if they literally try to steal candy from a baby."

"And then they lose all their teeth in the process," Hapu said laughing.

"But from who? The parent or the baby?" Mallow joked.

Everyone laughed at the joke.

"It was a good thing Riku put a stop to it before they did," Sora said.

"Pikachu."

"A very good thing," Riku said. "We heard them planning to steal it before and we put a stop to it."

"And it seems that they don't learn their lessons," Naminé said.

"Eevee."

Everyone made some more jokes regarding Gary, his cheerleaders, and Team Rocket. They laughed at how bad the jokes were. Just then, Ventus had an idea.

"Say, how about we sing some karaoke songs!" Ventus suggested.

"Oh, come on, Ven!" Sora said. "What for?"

"Just for fun," Ventus said.

"Let's just watch a movie and go right to bed, okay? I wanna get a good night's rest for tomorrow," Sora said.

"Good idea," Kairi seconded it. "And I have the perfect one." Kairi said pulling out a dvd. It was the movie, A Cinderella Story. Togepi and the twins fell asleep at some point; Pikachu, Eevee, Terra, Ventus, Kiawe and Sophocles pretty much did the same as the girls, the couples, and Illima kept watching, Sora held Kairi as Riku did Naminé.

After everyone else was asleep, Sora, Kairi, Riku, and Naminé cleaned up a bit and placed blankets around their friends. The couples fell right to sleep drifting off into dreamland. Sora was able to fall asleep despite the excitement he had. But he knew he would have to guve it everything he had to win the Indigo Plateau Pokémon League competition.