Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Defiance ❯ Mysterious Happenings ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Two: Mysterious Happenings.

After a tearful farewell, Reana had left her parents and Goldenrod city, and was heading south for New Bark town, where she would receive a pokèdex from Professor Elm. Humming a tune under her breath, the tawny haired teen skipped down route 34, slowing to look at the day care. It was large and spacious, with medium height fences, as most pokèmon looked after there where of low levels, and didn’t need much security.

Eyeing the pokèmon inside hopefully, Reana began too mull over what pokèmon she would catch, and the many different possibilities branching out in front of her. There where many jobs she could consider- she could enter nursing or the police force, become a pokèmon researcher, a pokèmon watcher, a pokèmon ranger- the possibilities where endless. Glancing at her pokèball briefly, the teen felt her mouth twist into a wry smile. Of course, many of her career opportunities depended on her pokèmon.

Noting the many trainers out enjoying the early morning warmth, she hurriedly hid her pokèball inside her vest pocket. Dressed sensibly for the journey, Reana was wearing her favourite pair of baggy cream cargo pants, and several spare items where stored in their pockets. For her upper half, she wore a plain, baggy blue t-shirt, and her brand new sleeveless violet vest that her parents had bought for her. With her blue pack upon her back, her pokènav handing from her neck and her pokègear strapped too her wrist, Reana felt ready for almost anything.

However, as her Absol was still a baby, she wasn’t quite ready for the trainers on route 34 yet. Enjoying the brisk morning, she walked slowly, inhaling the sweet scents of summertime. In the distance she could already hear the sounds of semi-wild pokèmon going about their daily business, as she travelled along the broad gravel path, lush meadows dotted with trees on both sides. Immediately in front of her, and mostly hidden by the gentle swells of the farmland, was the Ilex forest, an extremely wide belt of ancient woodland that had a large river travelling through its heart.

Deciding not too risk the somewhat chancy reputation of the place until she had a few more pokèmon, Reana had decided too splurge on taking a Pidgeot Taxi straight too Azalea town. The small town housed the second Johto League gym, which was home too Bugsy, a trainer specialising in Bug pokèmon. From there, she would travel straight down route 32, and past the Ruins of Alph too Violet City. This city also had a gym leader- Faulkner, whom specialised in bird pokèmon. He was the first gym leader of the league. After that it was straight through routes 30 and 31, and a small town called Cherry grove, known for its gardens, and then route 29 and New Bark.

Having planed the course out on her pokègear, all Reana needed too do was follow its prompts. As she got closer too the Ilex forest, she began too notice that people where staring at her. Confused, she bit her lip and decided too ignore them. It didn’t help that the few female trainers she encountered where barely dressed, and hanging off of the male trainers. Turning away before they could see her disgust and possibly challenge her, the teen instead increased her pace too an easy lope.

Few travellers where going her way, and once she had passed the large groups of trainers that seemed too congregate around a large meadow, she slowed her pace. At this stage of her journey, trees now bordered the path, shading it from the sun, which had just begun too warm up. After listening too the sounds of nature around her for a while, Reana got bored. Seeking entertainment, she plugged some headphones into her pokègear, switching it from map mode too radio mode. While her pokènav had a more sophisticated guiding system, and many other high tech uses, Reana only needed a simple map for the moment, which her ‘gear provided.

Whistling merrily along with one of the popular songs, she didn’t notice the traveller barrelling along the road behind her. The teen barely managed to glimpse a strange disturbance, which was pushing the loose dust and gravel of the road forward like a cone, before something large and hard slammed into her shoulder. Startled, she sprawled forward with a startled yelp, landing on her backside beside the road. Almost immediately, the abused part of her anatomy began too protest, and she looked around for something too haul herself up with.

A moment later and a hand presented itself, which she took eagerly, wincing with pain as she was hauled too her feet. “Oooww…” She moaned, rubbing her backside and wincing. There was an embarrassed cough, and emerald eyes wide with surprise, Reana looked up. Standing in front of her was someone she estimated too be little more than two or three years her senior; yet he exuded a confident aura of command. His flaming red hair was rather spiky, contrasting sharply with the clear, crystalline blue colour of his eyes.

The stranger was dressed in an all black, body fitting suit, with red panels running up the front of the body, and down too his knees. The hem of his jeans was red, and the older teen was wearing a pair of sturdy black boots. But the most interesting item of his clothing was the majestic, red lined, black cloak rippling in the faint breeze, secured at the shoulders of the outfit. But as the Reana had been investigating the stranger, he had been investigating her as well. Blushing faintly, she swallowed, lifting her chin slightly.

The red haired teen smiled suddenly, extending his hand once more. “Look, I’m really sorry about that- Dragonite hadn’t sensed anyone on the road, so I didn’t think that anyone would be in danger.” Shaking his hand slowly, Reana peeked over his shoulder, blinking as she observed the majestic dragon before her.

First of all, it was quite obviously male- though how she knew that, Reana had no idea. The skin of the Dragonite was a burnished copper, and shone in the morning sun with a metallic gleam. Warm hazel eyes regarded her with friendly interest, and the antennae on its forehead, which seemed too serve as horns, where pointed in her direction. The dragon pokèmon towered over her slim build, standing easily at around 6”7. His belly was a pale ochre, as where the talons upon his paws. The inside of the pokèmon’s wings glimmered a deep sapphire, and Reana sucked in a breath, before slowly releasing it.

“Wow…” Was all she eventually managed too say. The older teen too her left laughed, rubbing the back of his head sheepishly. “Look, I’m really sorry about this, so take this item as a sign of my sincerity.” Reana barely managed too catch the bundle before the cloaked teen had leapt gracefully, and with the ease of practice, upon the Dragonite’s back. Within the blink of an eye they had vanished, the only sign of their passage a large dust plume, and the bundle in her hands.

Confused, Reana slowly unravelled it. The outer layer was a deep blue cloak, threaded with paler hues, with an almost black out side. Securely wrapped inside it were a pokèmon potion, and a small silver chain. Beginning too see the humour of the situation, Reana carefully dangled the chain before her, the pendant sparkling with light. It was small, and only about the size of a lollypop but the detail on it was extraordinarily intricate. It was silver, the same as the chain, and had several polished sapphires set around the edge.

In the centre a coiled dragon was depicted, a pale lavender stone winking from its eye. Looking closer, Reana realised that it was a Dragonair, the central evolution of Dragonite. The slender serpent pokèmon was well known for its mystic control over the weather, and its rarity. Awed that such a gift had been given too her lightly, she carefully fastened the chain about her neck. The teen eyed the cloak for a moment, before shrugging and stowing it in her pack.

She continued walking down the road, her backside complaining slightly. Determinedly pushing the pain aside, she told herself- ‘It’ll be worse tomorrow if I don’t walk now- and I need too be limber enough too catch Loki if he pulls another trick!’

  //x-o-x\\

 

Soaring high above a dark, ancient forest, burnished copper glistened against the clouds, giving them an almost amber glow. Dipping and weaving beneath and through the fluffy clouds, a large dragon pokèmon made its way too the southeast, where a small stretch of ocean glistened. Upon its back was a rider, dressed in black and crimson, fiery red hair blasted back in the face of the wind. Crystalline blue eyes sparked as adrenaline rushed through the teen’s veins, and he let out a feral cry of victory.

“Let’s get ‘em Dragonite!” Almost immediately, the large copper dragon dropped from the sky, sapphire wings folded flat against his back, his rider flattening against the spine of the pokèmon. Below them, a small band of people dressed in a dark maroon where creeping from the undergrowth, towing the materials needed too build a small base. The Dragonite subtly altered his course, sending both human and pokèmon hurtling towards the largest wagon. The eerie whistling of the wind forced the people too look up, and several screamed with horror as they saw the vengeful dragon descending upon them.

With a scream of rage, the Dragonite snapped his wings open, clearing the wagon with inches too spare. However, the extreme speed that he had been travelling at had turned the very air itself into a weapon, and the mobile force promptly smashed into the wagon, overturning it and spilling the contents everywhere. As the dragon pokèmon skilfully hovered above them, several of the humans below gathered their courage and screamed insults, which where quickly torn apart with a single flap of the dragons wings, as he sent them tearing back towards the humans, faint discs of energy glimmering in the sunlight.

With a slight hand motion, the red haired teen upon the dragons back motioned for him too land. Positioning himself upwind, the dragon billowed up surging clouds of dust and pebbles, which whipped into the faces of the Team Rocket grunts. In a single, graceful movement the young man was on the ground, his cloak billowing silently around his body. For a moment, he was silent. He waited patiently as the Rocket grunts assembled themselves into a loose group before him, eyeing them critically.

As was typical, they wore the dark coloured pants and shirt common too all grunts, though the colour varied with each division. ‘Hmm, they’ve sent a strike force out on a base mission… this is interesting.’ Of the mixed group of men and women, more than half were sporting small cuts and bruises, and several already had black eyes forming. Casually crossing his arms across his chest and allowing a smirk too form, the teen called out in a voice strident with command;

“Lay down your weapons and surrender, and you may go free. Resist, and you may be injured.”

For a moment, there was silence, as the grunts assessed the information. And then predictably from the back of the group, “And watcha gonna do about it pretty boy?” The voice was rough and full of slang- the teen merely raised an eyebrow. “So be it.” His voice was casual, as though discussing the weather, and almost lazily, a blue, yellow striped ball fell from his hand. “Gyarados- it’s time to play.” A flash of brilliant white light lit up the small meadow, and several of the grunts swore as they where momentarily blinded.

The teen moved off too one side, nodding too his Dragonite. After a moment the light seemed too explode, revealing a mighty armoured serpent, body writhing on the small path. Unlike most of the dragon serpents, this Gyarados was a brilliant, shining crimson. The tri-finned horn rising from the centre of its forehead gleamed pure white in the sunshine, as did the minor ornamentation across its scales. Teeth as long as a mans arm snapped shut restlessly, as burning golden eyes turned on the small human for a moment, its gaze intense.

The Rockets held their breaths as one, all unconsciously reaching for pokèball’s. The body of the serpent pokèmon tensed, as the teen lazily raised one hand, the maroon cuff of his shirt sparking with inner fire. “Begin.” He said simply, as the Gyarados screeched with anticipation, and the Dragonite let out an earth splitting roar. With no warning, they shot forward at the Rockets, unleashing attacks as they did so. Several rockets banded together, throwing pokèball’s too the rough ground and calling for their own pokèmon.

In brilliant flashes of light, various serpentine, rat-like and bat pokèmon emerged, screaming battle cries. From the trainers towards the back came a large, rock like pokèmon, which grunted out “golem!” before turning into a spinning dervish of rock; and several large, fox like pokèmon, sporting nine tails apiece, and spitting fire. Elemental attacks raged over the battle ground- one moment a torrent of water would knock several Rockets into a tree, and in the next a vicious blast of fire would singe scales and hide.

For what seemed like an eternity the two dragon pokèmon battled mercilessly, steadily gaining ground. Behind them lay fainted pokèmon, none showing more than minor injuries. The humans hadn’t fared so well, and some were groaning in pain from their positions on the uneven, grass floor of the meadow away from the small path. Finally, the red-haired teenager whistled sharply. The Gyarados froze in the movement of slamming a large rock pokèmon into a tree, before whining in a low, bass rumble and returning too the teen’s side.

Hovering above the field, the Dragonite looked monetarily confused, the burning orange flames in his eyes slowly dieing down. After a moment, he barked sharply, lashing his tail, and descended too the ground, before trotting on all fours, wings furled against his sides as he returned too the teen. The blue eyes of the teen narrowed sharply for a moment, and his body tensed as he observed the people slowly making their way out of the forest. After a moment, he relaxed, thanking his Gyarados as it was returned too the pokèball in his hand. He stared at it for a brief moment, before re-attaching it too his belt.

Arms still folded against his chest, and his Dragonite curled up beside him, the teen cut an impressive figure. The figures that had exited from the forest efficiently attended too the injured Rockets, before binding them too prevent escape. Pokèball’s where found and pokèmon returned too them, streams of red light giving the battle torn field an eerie glow for many minutes. All the pokèball’s where placed in a large crate, as a trainer lead from the forest a large bull pokèmon, which was leading a small train of wagons.

The teen conferred with leader of the group for a few minutes, seeming slimmer and shorter beside his tall, muscular figure. Wearing only rough pants, a pair of leather bracelets and a headband, Bruno the Fighting Master issued a controlling air of command and discipline. Beside him a large rock snake loomed, often turning back to issue soft commands to pokèmon. Finally, the red haired teen mounted his Dragonite, and the backwash of their leap skyward briefly rocked the meadow, stirring the limbs of the trees, and flattening the grass.

Watching them leave, brown eyes tracked their swift passage. ‘That kid sure is useful. Wonder what Lance’s next assignment will be…’

  //x-o-x\\

 

“Urgh.&# 8221; After being knocked on her butt by a Dragonite, and flying on a Pidgeot for several hours, Reana was anything but happy. Relaxing into the soft bed she was currently lazing in, the teen debated on wether or not it would be safe too let her only pokèmon loose. Loki was a small, silver dappled Absol whose name suited him perfectly. Named after the Norse god of Mischief, he was living it up too it, as the three times the he had been let out of his pokèball, he had trashed her bedroom, broken several antiques, and totally shredded a couch when employing his scratch attack.

‘But then again, he’s been in his pokèball all day…’ She mused. The Pidgeot Taxi had dropped her off at the Pokècentre, and the nurse on duty had taken one look at her and given her a cream and painkillers. Shifting on the pillows slightly, Reana realised that she wasn’t as sore as she had thought she was. With that thought firmly in mind, she locked the small bedroom’s door, and rustled through her backpack. After a moment she had pulled out her item pack, revealing a shape similar too that of a CD Discman, but slightly rounder. Pressing a few buttons, she selected the books and other items she wanted, before pressing the large blue button next too a similar sized green button.

After a moment three books materialised, as well as a small pokèmon harness, and a bag of treats. The outline was vague and fuzzy, but slowly began too solidify. The Item Ball beeped loudly, and after turning it off and locking it, Reana returned it too her backpack. She fiddled with the small pokèmon harness for a little while, before she grabbed a blue pokèball off of the bedside table. Holding it in her hand, she called out, “C’mon Loki.” A burst of white light filled the room, before rapidly shrinking too form the silver dappled form of her baby Absol. Quickly minimizing the pokèball and returning it too the small table, she picked the small pokèmon up, giving his ears a scratch.

Purring, Loki nuzzled her hand, contentedly curling up on her lap. But when he began too show sign of wishing too get up, Reana shifted him too the bed beside her. “Stay still.” She warned him, holding the Absol immobile by way of a hand underneath his ribs. Fumbling with her haste, Reana slipped the harness over Loki’s head, fiddling with the straps. After cursing it for several minutes, the teen finally got it on- only too realise that it was backwards. Groaning softly too herself, she took the entire thing off and started again.

By this time Loki was dancing with impatience, making small whining noises. Giving him a quick glance, Reana clipped a long leash too the metal ring set in the back of the harness, and grabbed her room card and wallet. Holding the pokèmon securely in her arms and ignoring his wriggling, she locked her room up and put her wallet and card in her cargo pants pocket. When she was done, she let Loki down beside her, holding the leash firmly. Immediately the small Absol bolted, dragging her up the thickly carpeted hallway towards the Poke centre’s reception room.

Green eyes widening, Reana dug her heels into the carpet. “No Loki!” She called out, jerking backwards on the harness. With a squeal of indignation, Loki tumbled head over heels too land at her feet. Serving him a filthy glare, which she received equally, she wound up the leash tighter. “Heel.” She admonished him. The silver dappled feline gave her an amused look, his violet coloured eyes slitting with annoyance. Hissing, he extended his small baby claws and took a swipe at her leg. Muttering a curse under her breath, she gave the lead a sharp yank, and the teen set off towards the small cafeteria the Pokècentre provided.

Loki fought her every step of the way, until Reana was finally forced too pick him up. Grumbling too herself under her breath, she went up too the cafeteria counter and ordered a small serve of chips, as well as several sandwiches, and a bowl of pokèmon food for Loki. That accomplished, she slid into a booth, grimly ignoring the many new scratches and welts she was receiving. Taking a deep breath, she barked out, “Stop it.” For a moment, Loki did. Seizing the opportunity, Reana plonked the small pokèmon on the table before her.

Glaring straight back at him, and ignoring the hissing, spitting, and bristling fur, she gave him a firm smack across his backside. For a moment, Loki was frozen with shock. Raising an eyebrow, Reana inquired, “Want several of those?” Spitting something in pokèmon, the small feline slunk down to sit beside her. Sighing with relief, Reana wrapped the lead around her leg, so that Loki couldn’t escape if he tried.

At that moment a Chansey appeared, setting down several plates and bowls from a cart. Thanking her, Reana handed over a small amount of change to the pokèmon before it moved off. Lengthening the leash slightly, and feeling annoyed, she let Loki have enough slack too be able too eat his food. Sighing deeply, she grabbed a sandwich and sunk her teeth into it, relishing the taste of food.

The small Absol and the emerald-eyed teenager ate in silence for several minutes, finishing at roughly the same time. Feeling sleepy from the food in her stomach, Reana stacked her dishes and left them on the table, picking Loki up. The small pokèmon was already dozing, his stomach rounded from his meal. Yawning, Reana stumbled back too her room. Barely able too summon the energy too take her pokèmon’s harness off, she locked her room door, and snuggled underneath the covers.

After a moment Loki joined her, curling up against her stomach. With a jaw-cracking yawn, Reana flicked the small table lamp off, sending the room into darkness. Thin shafts of moonlight slipped past the closed blinds, teasing the edge of her vision. Her gaze blurring slightly, the teen let out a deep sigh, before protectively curling around her pokèmon, and falling too sleep.

  //x-o-x\\

 

“Look at the way she’s dressed- what an idiot!”

Muffled laughter and whispered comments rang throughout the small town square, and Reana felt her face burn with embarrassment. Once more she was dressed casually, and similarly too a guy- not that it really mattered, anyway. Loki was trotting at her side, obedient in his harness. For some strange reason he seemed rather agitated, and kept shooting venomous glares at the female trainers sitting in the centre of the square, which was marked by a small grassy square, with a tree at its heart.

Trying as hard as she could, Reana strained too ignore the hateful comments being directed at her, and concentrated on hurrying out of the town square. After spending the night at the Azalea town Pokècentre, she had set out for Violet City. Reaching it sometime around lunch, she had planned too stop there too eat. But after the slightly less than welcome greetings she had received, the teen decided too simply head straight for Cherry grove. Stooping for a moment, she extended her arm.

Loki eyed it doubtfully, before scurrying up it finding a perch on her shoulder. Nodding too herself, Reana set off at a quick jog, lengthening it too an almost flat out run as she neared the edge of the town. Forcing herself too breathe deeply, she began travelling faster- but not fast enough too miss the last comment hurled her way as she exited through the town gates.

“Fancies herself a man, doesn’t she.”

Tears welled in her eyes, and she ducked her head and increased her speed until the world around her was merely a blur. Meowing anxiously, Loki patted her cheek with one paw, wrapping his tail around her neck. The small pokèmon was sitting on her left shoulder, and buried his face into her hair. “Sol, absol…” He muttered, kneading his claws into her neck. But Reana didn’t respond, as she was too caught up in her thoughts, her body on autopilot as her pokègear cheeped out instructions.

‘Why did they have too say such nasty things? I mean, I got used too the glares and stuff in Pallet, but why should it matter if I dress like a guy? Is there some sort of traditionally held style of clothing for male and female trainers?’

Reana suspected that there was- skimpy clothes and hip packs for females, and comfortable sensible clothes for male trainers. Biting her lip too hold back her tears, the teen was forced too listen too her body as she all but flew over a fallen log. As she sped towards a collision with the ground, she managed to yelp, “wha-“ before earning a mouthful of dirt. Groaning, she sat up and rubbed her head, Loki hissing sharply from his perch on her shoulder. Ignoring him, she moved into a cross-legged position, fighting too keep the world from spinning.

The teen was sitting in a small glade, and a light forest spread out around her. The path lay slightly too her left, clearly marked out with pristine white gravel. Sighing, she slowly clambered too her feet. “Lets take a break.” She told her pokèmon, pulling some food from her pack. The two ate in silence, enjoying the peace of the woods around them, resonant with pokèmon. Noting Loki’s eager expression, she called out as she packed up, “Wanna find some pokèmon too train with?”

The small Absol nodded eagerly, before pouncing on a bush. A moment later and an indignant Sentret had scurried from cover, screaming shrilly at her pokèmon. Loki glared at her, his eyes burning red. Blinking, Reana realised it as a Leer attack. “Loki, follow up with scratch!” She yelled. Obeying her, the Absol rushed at the tan and brown striped pokèmon, claws glinting. He struck quickly, driving the pokèmon against a tree in a flurry of strikes.

Within minutes it had fainted, and Absol gave her a large grin before ambling over and demanding too be picked up. Once her pokèmon was settled around her shoulders he fell asleep, as Reana rolled her eyes. Pushing the events of the morning firmly too the back of her mind, she set out on the path once more, never aware of the figure watching her from behind a tree.

  //x-o-x\\

 

“Ooh… sparkles…” Mesmerised by the light flashing from the metallic coat of paint on the blue-green palm sized machine, the tawny haired teen failed too see the scientist behind her, struggling too contain his amusement. Finally, the professor gave in too the urge and began too chuckle. Reana flashed him a large grin, before slipping the pokèdex into a vest pocket. “Thanks Prof,” She chirped, before bounding off out the doorway, a dappled silver Absol trailing at her heels.

Shaking his head ruefully, the researcher returned too his computer. After spending only an hour or so in her company, the professor had quickly become enamoured with her bright, cheerful disposition, and obvious intelligence. Soon enough, the only sound filling the laboratory was the sound of keys clacking, and the occasional whisper of paper as he pursued data for his research paper. The sunlight streaming through the windows lite up Professor Elms face, reminiscent of the smile Reana had given him in parting.

‘That kid’ll go far,’ he mused, absently saving his work. ‘Now, where did I put that darn book?’ he wondered, getting up from his chair too browse the extensive shelves. “I know its here somewhere,” he muttered angrily, wading through mountains of paperwork, stacked between his library shelves. Sometimes, being a famous researcher wasn’t all that fun…

 

“Here Loki, this is where we’re going.” Reana informed her pokèmon, holding her pokènav out for his inspection. The baby Absol eyed it for a moment, before thoughtfully moving to chew on the teen’s finger. Yelping, she removed it from his mouth, before rolling her eyes. “Mutt.” She teased, waggling a finger in his face. The young Absol regarded it with disdain, but the teen was amused too see that his haunches where wriggling with impatience, his tail flicked from side too side. After a moment, his violet eyes narrowed, and he pounced on her finger. Reana let him put it in his mouth, before she scooped him up in her arms, tickling his belly. Holding him awkwardly in one hand, she shrugged her backpack on, before tickling his stomach.

It was late in the afternoon, and the sunset was bleeding blood red across the sky, as it slowly faded into the deep purples and indigo’s of twilight. Reana admired the sight, absently keeping her pokèmon amused, as she headed for the small Pokècentre on the edge of town. Once there, she booked in for the night, after asking for Loki too be healed, as the baby pokèmon was tired from battling a Sentret, and a Caterpie earlier that day. Whilst waiting for him too be healed she had purchased their dinner from a small store across the street, pointedly ignoring the curious looks she received.

After around fifteen minutes the nurse informed her that Loki was as good as new, and handed the pale blue pokèball back to the eagerly waiting teenager. Using food as a reward, Reana managed too teach her Absol too sit, before giving him his meal, and a small portion of hers after he had licked his bowl clean. With Loki dozing in her lap, Reana found her parents phone number in her pokègear, and after putting some money in the videophone, dialled her home phone. It rang several times before it was picked up, her mothers blue eyes twinkling and her face flushed.

Immediately she began talking, obviously excited. “Oh darling, you wouldn’t believe what Anne Marie gave us today- her daughters a pokèmon breeder you know- she heard that you where on a journey, and simply insisted that we give you this. I know you’ll like it, though of course, you’ll have too wait a while, but Anne Marie assured us that its close too hatching, which is why we waited for a little while-“ Her mother paused for a moment, and laughed sheepishly. “So, how does your journey seem?” Reana blinked for a moment, before shrugging. “Its good, I guess…”

Her mother gave her a critical look, before smiling slightly. “Loki giving you much trouble?” Laughing, Reana recounted his battle with a Caterpie, which had entailed a very frustrated Absol, and a very smug bug pokèmon. Her mothered chuckled, before gingerly holding a strange container up. It was a clear cylinder, with a plastic base, though the interior was padded. The top, which had a handle, had a small pokèball dangling from a net. Inside the cylinder however, was a very large, mottled red egg.

Reana’s jaw dropped, and she gasped with shock. “Mom is… is that a pokèmon egg?” She asked, whispering so as not too attract the attention of the few trainers who where hanging around. Her mother simply beamed at her, before saying; “Darling I’m going too send it over now, just wait one moment-“ her voice trailed off, and was replaced by the sound of vigorous typing.

During this time her father had appeared, eating a sandwich. “Hi honey, got a plan for the first gym leader?” He queried. Reana laughed nervously. “Um, I was going too train Loki up a bit, and the catch a pokèmon-“ She began, but was interrupted by her mothers cheerful, “Done!” And the large transport facility beside the videophone lighting up. When it died down, the egg capsule was in its place- and the egg had a large crack in it. Both mother and father looked at it for a moment, before her father suggested, “Get some pokèfood out honey. That egg is hatching tonight.”

With that, her parents bid her goodnight, after sending her their love. Still in shock, Reana responded vaguely, before picking up Loki, and the egg capsule, as her backpack was already in her room. Not noticing the stares of the other trainers, she drifted off too her room, where upon she collapsed onto the bed. She looked at the pokèmon egg in amazement, before her mouth opened in horror. “Shit, its hatching!” She swore, hurriedly unscrewing the capsule. Handling the egg with extreme care, she wrapped it in its blanket, and placed it upon the bed, maximizing the small yellow pokèball along with it.

A slight sound reminded her that her room door was open, and so the teen hurried too close it. As with most pokecentre's, the room was fairly small, with a bed and table up against the left hand wall, and a small closed off bathroom against the right. Biting her lip anxiously, Reana rustled around in her pack, before finding a packet of baby pokèmon food that she had bought for Loki. A feline yelp sent her into a panic, as Loki tumbled from the bed, having been head butted by the egg.

Emerald eyes wide, she hurried over and scooped him up, soothing the disgruntled Absol. After a moment, Loki glared at the egg, and stalked off too curl up on Reana’s pillow. By this stage, the egg had several wide cracks in it, and each oozed a faint trace of fluid. Hovering nervously, Reana battled with her mind on wether too help or not. After considering the issue for several minutes, in which the egg had begun to make peeping noises, she decided too help. Just as the tawny haired teen was reaching a hand out, the egg suddenly exploded- or at least it seemed too. Several large fragments of shell sailed across the room, leaving a small, orange pokèmon with a shell fragment hanging lopsided off its head, giving her a confused look.

“Growl?” It queried, its tiny baby nose quivering as it reached forward too sniff her hand. But as the small pokèmon was still sitting in the bottom half of its egg, it tripped over. Luckily, Reana managed too prevent its collision with the bedspread, and she carefully wrapped it up in the blanket provided with the egg. Carefully peeling fragments of shell off, she looked at Loki, who seemed unsure of how too act. “C’mere Loki,” She whispered, gently rubbing the baby pokèmon dry.

With a small yawn, which showed off the tiny stubs of teeth it possessed, the puppy curled up further into Reana’s arms, snuggling into the blanket. Grinning madly, Reana showed it too Loki. The small feline sniffed it warily, before meowing and sitting down, curling up into a ball. Shrugging, the teen transferred the puppy too a spot near Loki, and quickly dressed in her pyjama’s. Already, rays of moonlight where slowly filtering into the room, alighting upon objects and giving them a subtle glow.

Suddenly feeling tired, Reana carefully crawled beneath the covers of the small bed, settling Loki against her stomach, and the puppy in the crook of her outstretched arm. Lying on her side, she sighed deeply for a moment, before slowly closing her eyes. ‘Gotta…buy…baby…food…’ Was her last thought, before she slowly drifted off too sleep.

  //x-o-x\\

 

“Sir, we’ve located the subject.” Seated at a computer terminal, the young man swivelled around on a chair, fingers tapping in a sequence as an image loaded up on the large screen before him. Seated on a large, plush armchair hidden deep within the shadows at the back of the room, a pair of eyes slowly opened. “Bring all data onscreen.” He commanded, his voice a deep, rich baritone.

Serving the figure a nervous look, the technical aide hurriedly brought up a list of figures onscreen, too the left of a picture of a young teenager. After a moments hesitant thought, he also brought up the surveillance data on a screen too the right. For a moment, there was silence in the room, and the aide began too fidget nervously, unsure as too wether he would be punished for his impertinence.

“Good.” The figure moved slowly, a hand lazily depressing the button set in the side of his chair. “All Generals too me, at once.” There was an affirmation after that, the voice hissing with static from the intercom. Leaning back in his chair, the man steepled his fingers, garnet eyes regarding the picture onscreen. ‘If everything goes too plan, I shall make this organization greater than it has ever dreamed it could be. And all through the acquisition of mere teenager girl…’ He mused, eyes glinting hungrily, his mouth twisted into a cruel smirk.

‘Those fools won’t know what hit them, and buy the time it does, they will be totally unprepared.’

A slight chuckle passed his lips, and the various men and women filing into the room regarded each other nervously, awaiting their orders. The man allowed them to stew in silence, enjoying the looks of helpless terror on their faces. Their previous leader had been ruthless, it was true, but this man--he was a cold-blooded killer. All those who opposed him died silently and quietly, until the entire organization was well a truly under his thumb. And each and every member of any importance knew that fact all too well.

Finally, he spoke. “Is there any report of League activity in the area?” A woman stepped forward, her pale green hair dimmed a dull shade buy the faint lights. Hands behind her back, she reported in a clear voice, “No activity has been sighted in the specified areas, sir. All decoy units have performed as planned.” Her voice quavered slightly as she spoke, unnerved by having a focused, garnet gaze levelled at her for so long. Just as beads of sweat had begun too gather on her forehead, he dismissed her with a wave of his hand, her sigh of relief going unnoticed with his next comment.

“The acquisition shall take place in Azalea town. It is within our interests too allow her too win two gym badges. Have division Rattata send out two cadets for a battle against the subject; sufficient data on her pokèmon shall be gathered in this exercise. Each leader should know their place- do you have any questions?”

The sharp gaze of Team Rockets newest leader travelled over each and every general, all well known for their cruelty and exploits, the reasons why they where so high up in the crime organizations hierarchy. But each and every general trembled beneath the merciless garnet gaze, none daring too question him. It was only after each and every General had left, and the man was considering leaving, that the aide spoke up, his voice trembling.

“B-but s-sire, wont’ the g-gym leaders refuse a-a battle b-because she’s a g-girl?” he stammered, shivering slightly as the man looked at him for a moment, seemingly surprised by the question. And when he answered, his voice was full of sly satisfaction, and echoed around the small room. “Of course- and that will make our objective all that easier, for as all teenagers, she wishes too become the best- something that shall never happen, simply because of her gender.”

And with that statement he left the room, silken garments whispering softly against his skin as he left the room, a smirk gracing his handsome, chiselled features. “Oh yes, beware indeed. For the power I shall unleash shall make even the legendary pokèmon tremble in terror.” Ignoring the terrified grunts leaping out of his way, he strode through the secret underground base, his satisfied laughter chilling the souls of all who heard it.

  //x-o-x\\

 

“Blaze? No, too corny. Flamer? Nah, that’s pathetic. Mars? Sounds like a toothpaste…”

Letting herself sink back onto the plush couch in the Pokècentre’s reception room, Reana let herself groan with dismay. “Whoever knew that naming a pokèmon would be so hard?” She grumbled, a slight smile touching her face as she watched her pokèmon play. After registering herself for the Johto League Gym Challenge that morning, buying baby food for both Loki and her new Growlithe, she had spent the morning attempting too name him.

As she watched the silver dappled Absol, and the fiery chestnut Growlithe play contentedly on the scruffy carpet, a thought occurred to her. ‘I named Loki after the Norse god of mischief- why not name Growlithe after a god as well?’ The thought immediately cheered her up, and she spent several minutes wracking her brain for a suitable name. Finally, after listing her pokèmon’s attributes in her mind, she came up with something suitable. “Aries!” She squealed, bouncing in her seat.

Aries was the Greek god of war, well known for his fiery temper, and control of the element. A well-known god, he suited a fire pokèmon that would grow into an Arcanine- a pokèmon with a fierce, majestic nature- almost perfectly. Grinning, Reana dug her pokèdex out of her vest pocket; as she had chosen too wear her favourite pair of blue bell-bottom jeans. After a moment, she found the metallic painted sea-green device, and pointed it at her pokèmon. Much too her surprise, when she had first activated it, looking up Loki’s statistics, he hadn’t had a nickname. She’d had too enter it manually, as she was doing now for Aries.

The pokèdex beeped after a moment, signifying that Aries the Growlithe was now officially named. Checking the clock, Reana motioned both her pokèmon over. As a result of his battles, Loki was at Level 6, whilst Aries was still at Level 5. However, they where still quite young, and didn’t have much stamina. Worn out after a vigorous wrestling session, both pokèmon happily trotted over too her, Aries with his tongue hanging out in a goofy grin. Loki yowled loudly, before scampering onto a chair, and climbing up Reana’s arm too take his accustomed spot on her shoulders. Attempting to do the same thing, Aries tripped over his fluffy tail and feet, bowling over like a mini pokèmon avalanche, too land at her feet. Bending over carefully, Reana scooped him up in one arm, steadying Loki with the other.

Edging back too her seat carefully, she picked her backpack up, and slung it over one shoulder. Handing the room card back too nurse Joy, she carefully made her way out the front door and onto the grassy lawn, deciding that was the safest route, as Loki and Aries where squabbling playfully, and threatening too take a tumble too the ground. Spying a park bench, Reana walked over too it, yelping as Loki dug his claws into her shoulder, and Aries shot up to vigorously lick her face.

Over balanced, the tawny haired teen collapsed too the ground, where upon both of her pokèmon decided she was a playground. Groaning and holding her head, she gingerly sat up, as Loki chased Aries into a thick stand of grass a few metres away. Muffled laughter from across the street caught her attention, and Reana felt her cheeks burn as she saw several trainers, all many years younger than her, making fun of her predicament. Seething, she settled her backpack properly, instead of it hanging off one shoulder like before, scooped both her pokèmon up, and stalked off too the general store.

However, her pokèmon didn’t like that idea very much, and proceeded too squirm and wriggle as much as they could. Fed up, and still quite embarrassed, Reana returned both pokèmon too their pokèball’s, feeling a headache threaten. From the back of the shop a slight chuckle sounded, and the teen whirled around, ready too take her anger out on the offender. A moment later and a smiling old man came into the warm morning light, holding a small harness like she used for Loki, and two slings. Eyeing them curiously, Reana waited for what the old man had to say.

“You sure have some lively pokèmon,” He remarked, placing the items on the counter. Drifting closer, Reana nodded, absently re-tying her hair back in a ponytail. “Their a real handful,” The teen told him ruefully, before pointing towards the items on the counter. “What are they for?” She queried, leaning closer. Giving her a grin, he began too explain. “Well the first one is a training harness, that you can used too restrain your pokèmon with, and the other two are slings, so that you can carry your pokèmon as you walk.”

Impressed, Reana asked, “How much? Oh, and do you have any baby pokèmon food, and some bottles I could feed them with?” The old man nodded, and walked off, returning with the items. “Do you have a full first aid kit? Antidote, Paralyse Heal, Potions and Burn Heals are all 25 off today.” He informed her, gesturing towards a large stand. Reana considered it for a moment, before flicking her pokènav open, and checking the amount of money she had in her account. ‘Hmmm… mum and dad gave me 5000 yen, and all up those potions and stuff should be around 1300 ish… I have plenty of pokèball’s, so I guess it’d be okay too buy them..’ After considering it, she walked over and bought two of each item, as well as the other harness, and only one sling, as that was all she needed.

Surprisingly enough, all up it would only cost her 1200 yen. Eyeing the pokèmon food on the counter, she bit her lip. “Um, how much would the baby food and bottles be all up?” Although Reana had fed Loki on solid food and he seemed fine about it, she had decided to give him baby food as well- not only would it help him, but it would stop him becoming jealous of Aries. The old man seemed surprised buy the request, and added it up. For a box of milk sachets, it was 500 yen, but luckily she’d only need one box. The cans of baby food cost 500 yen all up as well, and the bottles where 250 yen each.

Sighing with relief, she bought the entire lot. Handing over her pokèdex, she watched curiously as the old man put it in a special reader, and the prices of each item briefly flashed on the small screen. After a moment it beeped, as did her pokènav. Surprised, she checked it, finding that her bank account had been reduced. Impressed by the efficiency, she thanked the old man, and ignoring the young boys standing out the front of the shop, she walked back too the small park adjacent the Pokècentre, and pulled her item balls out.

After a moment’s consideration, she put them away, and instead left the first aid items in the main pocket with her clothes and item balls. As with all trainer backpacks, her bag had several compartments, all for different uses. Her backpack was a newer model, with increased storage. On the front was a small, round pocket in which she kept her pokènav, pokègear and pokèdex when she wasn’t using them, as well as a special device her parents had given her for storing berries, and another for sorting pokèblocks.

The left hand side pocket stored her pokèfood, and this is where she placed the baby food. The right hand pocket stored her spare pokèball’s, and the main part of the pack was divided into two large sections- the one closest too her back sorting her technical machines and special items, and the other her general items. After pulling Loki’s harness out, she carefully put it on the grass beside the one she had bought for Aries. The harness she had bought had special clips, which attached onto her backpack, and kept the harness close too her body.

Pulling the pale blue and yellow balls from her belt, she casually tossed them near the harnesses, catching the pokèball’s and minimizing them as they returned too her hands, re-attaching them too her belt. Looking confused, Aries trotted over too her, and Loki yowled pitifully. Laughing at their antics, she cuddled both her pokèmon, before moving too the harnesses. Grabbing a pokètreat from her pocket, she told Loki, “Sit.” Obeying her, he moved quickly into position, wriggling with impatience as she secured the harness on his body. Giving him the treat, she wrapped the leash around her hand, and moved too Aries, having placed him in the harness for the moment.

The baby Growlithe seemed quick amused by it, and was happily chewing on its side. Rolling her eyes, Reana picked him up, carefully adjusting the straps as she placed the harness on his body, noting the brilliant, fiery red colours of his coat, and the dark sable stripes that ran across his back and legs, and the silkiness of the cream fur at his throat, stomach and tail, as well as the short tuft between his ears. Finally managing too get Aries into the harness, she snapped the leash onto the ring at its back, and held both leashes in one hand, settling her backpack at one side, unclipping the harness/sling and putting it away.

Immediately, Loki and Aries began wrestling on the grass once more, and the teen and her pokèmon moved slowly across the park, occasionally breaking into a jog as the Absol and Growlithe happily chased one another. Laughing at their antics, Reana didn’t notice the young trainer and his friends, who had made fun of her earlier, until Aries yelped, having had his tail trodden on. Scooping the baby pokèmon up, she ushered Loki close too her side, and turned around too glare at the offending trainer.

“You stupid idiot, you could’ve hurt my pokèmon! Is there anything between your ears but empty space, or do you store pokèfood in there? How dare you do that, you could’ve broken Aries tail you dolt!” The small group of youths froze as the enraged teenager lectured them, and several passing adults began too laugh. The leader, a young boy with dark brown hair, glared at her. “I challenge you too a match!” He yelled, and still angry with the brat for hurting Aries, she readily accepted- not that she could have refused, anyway.

“You’re on. Loki, I chose you!” With Aries still in one arm, Reana leant down and unclipped the small Absol’s leash. Having heard everything, but not understanding it all, the small pokèmon only knew two things- his trainer was angry, and he as going too battle. That was more than enough though, as he began too hiss, fur fluffing out as he stalked in front of Reana, tail lashing the grass, slit pupil led eyes burning. Several of the young boys gulped, recognising the rare Hoen pokèmon, known for its ability too predict disasters- though some people assumed that the pokèmon caused them.

At that moment, a large tree suddenly fell between the group, and Loki jumped up onto it, sharp baby claws digging into the wood. The young boy seemed nervous, but hurriedly threw his pokèball anyway. “Go Pidgey!” He yelled, revealing a tan coloured bird in a flash of light. Cooing softly, it fluttered too the ground at its trainers feet, awaiting instructions. “Tackle attack!” He yelled, and the small bird promptly took too the air, heading straight for Loki.

Smirking, Reana crossed her arms across her chest. “Loki, dodge too the left, jump up and use scratch,” She commanded, her voice cold and in control. ‘I hope he can do this,’ the teen fretted, inwardly nervous about her pokèmon’s first real battle. However, her fears where quickly dismissed, as her pokèmon easily followed her instruction, scoring a hit on the bird pokèmon’s unprotected back. Keeping an eye on the battle, Reana pointed her Pokèdex at the Pidgey. A serious of figures scrolled across the screen, and Reana smirked as she looked at them.

‘It’s a level lower, and can only tackle. This’ll be easy.’. However, in her brief moment of inattention, the Pidgey managed too score a hit. Hissing and spitting ferociously, Loki launched a leer attack, his eyes glowing an eerie red. The Pidgey faltered in its flight, and the small Absol viciously scratched it. Surprised by her pokèmon’s initiative, she hurriedly congratulated him for it. “Good work Loki, one more scratch should do it!” However, an additional attack wasn’t needed, as when Loki had pounced, he had sent the bird pokèmon straight for the ground, although luckily into a thick clump of grass.

“I believe this battle is ended.” Reana said coldly, motioning for Loki too come back. The small group of boys where shocked slightly- the strange girl trainer had battled with cool efficiency, and hadn’t bragged about her win as many other trainers would have. After checking too make sure that her own pokèmon was okay, she moved over too the Pidgey, which was struggling slightly. Carefully picking it up, she walked over to the young boy, Aries trailing behind her, and trying too get at the injured pokèmon. “Growl! lithe growl!” He barked, pawing at her leg.

Ignoring him, Reana carefully gave the trainer his pokèmon. “If you train against some the of the low level pokèmon around here, your Pidgey should level up pretty fast. It has the potential too be really good, but don’t get angry when you’re battling, because it will blind you. Also, try working out strategies, because with them, you can beat a stronger opponent.” Having delivered her advice, Reana clipped Loki’s leash back on, and petted him, lavishing the happy feline with attention. Aries, not understanding, demanded too be picked up.

Laughing, the tawny haired teen did so, holding a pokèmon on each hip. It was only when the older teen had walked out of view that on of the boys suddenly piped up. “Hey, she didn’t claim her money!” The young trainers puzzled over it, before the young boy who had battled the stranger walked off. “I’m going too heal Pidgey!” He yelled, returning his pokèmon too its ball. Eyes shining, he began planning possibilities in his mind. ‘If Pidgey gets stronger then I can catch more pokèmon. But what types will I catch? Troy’s mom said she heard about a small colony of Spinarak on route 29, so I could train there…’ A smile on his face, he conveniently forgot that a girl had beaten him, too wrapped up in planning how he was going too train his pokèmon.

“You battled really well Loki, and it’s good that you took your initiative, but remember that you should still listen too me- I have a different perspective too the battle than you do.” The small Absol nodded, before yawning and cuddling closer too her, claws gently kneading her neck, the tip of his tail tickling her face. In the harness dangling against her hip, Aries began too whine, signalling he wanted too be let out. Deciding that it was a good time too break, Reana looked around for a moment. She was walking down Route 29, and there was a light forest surrounding the white gravel path, shading it from the midday sun.

Spotting a large log beside the road, she moved over too it and sat down. Taking her pack off, she settled Loki in her lap, and attached the harness and leash too Aries, though she extended it buy attaching it too Loki’s. Letting him run around the small log and surrounding bushes, Reana pulled the pokèfood from her backpack, as well as a few sandwiches for herself, and a water bottle. Taking the baby bottles out, she mixed the formula up with some water, noting that the mixture could also be taken cold.

After mixing it up, she whistled sharply, in a triple-tone tune, and gently reeled the leash in. It would take a while, but the teen had decided that each of her pokèmon would be trained too return too her at the sound. Leaving Loki sleeping soundly on her lap, Reana picked Aries up, unclipping the leash. Holding him in a sitting position on her thighs, she placed the baby bottle in his mouth. That morning she’d fed him with a pureed pokèmon food mixture, but he hadn’t liked it very much. Aries greedily sucked at the bottle, and Reana bit her lip, trying too remember what Gary had taught her about raising baby pokèmon.

Lifting the bottle slowly, she forced the puppy too drink slower, until the bottle was finished. His little belly rounded from his meal, he promptly collapsed across her thighs, as Loki sleepily opened his eyes. Seeing that her pokèmon was awake now, Reana fed him his lunch. With a satisfied burp, and an emptied bottle, Loki too drifted off too sleep. As her stuff was neatly arranged around her, the teen managed too pack up without disturbing her pokèmon too much. Smiling fondly at them, she took Aries’s harness off, and put it away in her bag.

In the bushes beside her, underneath the sounds of the wild pokèmon, she could’ve sworn she heard the sound of a camera. Confused, she stared at them for some time, her mind becoming paranoid and making out the shape of someone crouching there. After several minutes she shrugged, and put her backpack on. Her mouth tilting up in a rueful smile, she wished that she had bought two slings instead of one. Sighing, she clipped it so the harness ran diagonally across her chest, and spent several minutes fussing over her pokèmon as she arranged them.

When she was finally satisfied, she carefully got too her feet, shifting her pokègear to map function. As she did so, a small hologram appeared above the watch, showing a close up of where she was. Pressing a few buttons, she managed too get her ‘gear too tell her that it would take her approximately half and hour too walk to Cherry grove. Satisfied, she started walking down the road once more, enjoying the scenery around her. She’d been walking for some time when she became aware of someone following her- or, at least it felt like it.

Her shoulders crawling from where she was sure someone was watching her, the teen increased her pace too a jog, trying too keep her strides smooth in order too avoid waking her pokèmon. However, when she reached Cherry grove with no confrontations, her worries eased somewhat. Tucking them away in the back of her mind, she sat down on a small park bench. Cherry grove was slightly larger then New Bark, and there where quite a few trainers milling around the town square. After a moments considerations, she put Loki and Aries on the bench beside her, putting the sling back in her bag, and clipping their harnesses on.

At this, both pokèmon woke up, although it took them a few minutes too actually stop yawning. When they had done so, they both proceeded too chase each other around Reana, nearly causing her too trip several times. It was as she was walking past the tidy rows of houses, and up too route 30 that she noticed how many people where staring at her, and her pokèmon. Ignoring them, she couldn’t help but hear the nasty comments people where whispering about her, and felt her cheeks burn with shame.

Nonetheless, she continued walking normally, until she reached the shaded path of route 30, where upon she felt like she wanted too scream with rage. What was wrong with a girl wearing clothes similar too guys, and going on a pokèmon journey with a comfortable backpack, not one of those stupid hip thingies? It was then that she noticed that Loki and Aries where tussling fiercely, obviously angry. Confused, she hurried too separate them, only too have both pokèmon give her a face bath as soon as she touched their fur. Sitting back on her haunches, she gave her pokèmon a curious look, before shrugging it off. Checking her Pokènav, she was surprised too see a place labelled “Cherry grove berries” straight along the road, marked down as a house.

Shrugging to herself, she let her ‘nav fall back against her chest on its cord, and it wasn’t until she heard the faint metallic chime, and twinge of pain that she remembered that she was wearing a necklace as well. Fishing it out of her shirt, she glanced at it, before remembering how she had gotten it.

“Look, I’m really sorry about this, so take this item as a sign of my sincerity.” Reana barely managed too catch the bundle before the cloaked teen had leapt gracefully, and with the ease of practice, upon the Dragonite’s back. Within the blink of an eye they had vanished, the only sign of their passage a large dust plume, and the bundle in her hands.

The pendant depicted a amethyst eyed Dragonair curled into a circle, and the detail was incredible. The silver metal glinted in the sunshine, and Reana decided too leave it out of her shirt, liking the way it glittered and threw rainbows across her path. With Loki and Aries once more frolicking everywhere around her, she soon saw the house that her Pokènav had pointed out. Noticing the many berry trees planted around it, she sighed wistfully, eyes lingering as she began too walk past, the path broad through the light woodland.

Sitting in a deckchair outside of the house, a rather portly man beckoned her over. “Ho trainer, you wish for some berries?” He called out as she moved closer, Aries yapping and chasing Loki over too a bush. Gently pulling on the leashes, Reana called her pokèmon closer too her, once more whistling. Turning back too the man, she smiled and sat down cross-legged on the grass. “I’d really appreciate it,” She told him. Giving her a grin, he motioned towards the trees. “The ripe ones are around the base. You know the properties of berries, right?”

At her hesitant nod, he prodded her gently. “Got a berry storage device?” At her affirmative answer, he leant back, replacing his sunglasses. “Ah, well simply highlight a berry, and press the yellow button on the right. That’ll bring up a berries description. Alright, off you go,” He said, shooing her off with a grin. Slightly in awe at his kindness, Reana pulled her backpack onto one shoulder, grabbing her berry storage device from her backpack. It was a small, fist-sized cube, with a clear panel with buttons set around it. Her model was a pale blue, and shimmered slightly in the sun.

Absently checking her watch, Reana was surprised too find that it was around 3:00pm. Blinking, she shrugged, and set off too collect berries. Around half an hour later she as done, and her berry cube was just finishing up assimilating the fruit. Thanking the man, she walked over too where Loki and Aries had been dozing, and picked up their leashes. “C’mon.” She told them, once again whistling the triple-tone tune.

Both pokèmon obediently followed their trainer, as she set off down route 30 for Violet City.

  //x-o-x\\

 

“You can’t do this!” The harsh accusation echoed eerily around the vaulted ceiling of the chamber, directed at a panel of figures seated on high backed chairs. They where dressed simply, yet oozed with power, attesting this through the many pokèball’s adoring their belts. A young man paced before them, boots clacking nosily on the polished black marble flooring. Tall for his age, he nonetheless had a slender, muscular build. He was dressed in a skin fitting black body suit, red panels across the chest and legs, and the cuffs of his long sleeved shirt and pants where of a similar colour. A black cloak flared out behind him as he walked, attached at the shoulders of his clothing.

Crystalline blue eyes narrowed angrily, as he glared at them from beneath a spiky mane of crimson hair. “I have served you faithfully and well for many years, and have destroyed many Rocket bases, severely hindering their progress. And yet-“ He paused too glare at them once more, before resuming his pacing. “And yet you delegate me with a job that makes a mockery of all I have accomplished!” Throwing his hands up in the air with frustration, his cloak billowing around him, the young man hame to a halt, arms folded across his chest as he glared at the silent judges.

An old man, his face weather beaten and bronzed from the elements, answered his question. “Because Lance, you are the only one qualified too handle this matter.” The voice issuing from his throat was crisp and businesslike, leaving no room for argument. Four sets of eyes regarded him closely, waiting for his reaction. After a moment, the red hair teen’s shoulders slumped, before he slowly straightened himself, looking each in the eye. “Fine. I shall do my duty.” His voice was quiet and bitter, and with nothing more too say, he turned on his heel and exited the building.

Behind him, a woman eyed the doors slowly swinging shut thoughtfully. “Ah, but it is far more than duty- this is a life and death matter.” The three members of the panel regarded the silver haired woman nervously, before simply letting the comment pass them by. Selena always had been a mystery, knowing more about the future than any human had a right too know. With no words between them, the panel left the room, each with a different matter upon their thoughts, but all circling back too the same issue.

Could he really save her?

 

 

  

 

  postamble();