Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Defiance ❯ Battle for the Badge ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Three: Battlefor the Badge

“WHAT? I don’t believe this! It’s sexual discrimination! I demand that you take that comment back!” Sensing the smart arse comment about too spill from the cocky young trainer, she pinned him too his chair with a snapping emerald gaze. “And don’t you dare tell me the gym leader isn’t there because I just saw a trainer go in! This is an outrage!” Standing in front of the desk at the fore of the Violet City Gym, a tawny gold haired teenage girl was all but spitting flames with rage.

Cowering before her in a chair was a previously smug, cocky young trainer, who was obviously the secretary for the moment. Steeling himself, he looked at a safe target- her breasts. Satisfied with the compromise, he kept his gaze on them as he spat out a jumbled sentence of words. “The gym is closing now for the day so please you have to go, it’s the last battle, leave now!” Ending his speech on a definite note, he finally summoned the courage too look her in the eyes.

Big mistake. With a glare that promised a slow and painful death, she turned on her heel, her two pokèmon hissing and growling alternatively as they left the gym. As they left through the automatic doors, a smug smile curved the teen’s lips, his earlier fear of the girl forgotten. He was sure that Faulkner wouldn’t want too verse a wimpy girl, because everyone knew that girls didn’t earn gym badges. It was bad enough that they could be trainers! And with that, the dark haired teen shoved the matter too the back of his mind, dismissing it as nothing of importance.

The girl wouldn’t dare come back to the gym, not after the speech that he had given her!

  //x-o-x\\

 

“I don’t believe this!” Reana screamed, the words muffled by the pillow she was holding over her face. Her upper torso dangling over the side of the bed, her emerald eyes all but burned a hole in the ceiling with rage. But slowly, as with every other time, the rage drained away, leaving her instead feeling depressed. It had been like this for several weeks now, ever since she had left Goldenrod on her pokèmon journey. Within a few days she had gotten her two pokèmon- Loki, her starter, a silver dappled Absol, and Aries, a fiery chestnut Growlithe. She had spent a week on Route’s 30 and 31, camping out in order for her pokèmon too train against pokèmon of similar levels.

However, every time she asked a trainer too battle her, they had made up a lame excuse and ran off. Only younger children would battle her, and generally when no one else was around. And as much as she hated too admit it, Reana knew exactly why. She was a girl. And because of that, her pokèmon would never reach their full potential- unless she gave them too a male trainer. But as soon as she even considered the thought, her mind violently rejected it.

Loki was her first pokèmon, and because of that, they had bonded in a way she would with no other pokèmon. Despite his quirky, mischievous (and sometimes sadistic) nature, she had grown too love the small Absol, even though she had suffered through a few randomly falling trees and rain showers, as he grew older his ability too warn her became more precise.

Aries had been a gift from her parents, and she had raised the Growlithe puppy since he had hatched from his egg. Already he was of a larger size than Loki, despite being younger. His large paws hinted at the tall animal he would one day become, and at the majestic proportions of his final evolution. Named after the god of war, Aries was proving just how true that name was, as he was constantly fighting wild pokèmon, and was relentless in battle. However, even more so than most of his breed, the Growlithe puppy was extremely affectionate, although he was quite territorial, and resented any human coming near her- both of her pokèmon did.

By some uncanny sixth sense, they both sensed her moods, and reacted as she did too emotional turmoil. In fact, Reana had watched Aries sneak off and set a particularly nasty teenagers pants on fire- although, he had also managed too hit several of his friends. Unfortunately for the young puppy, he was learning control his power over fire slowly, and Reana had taken too wearing very old clothing when training with her pokèmon.

Smacking the mattress with her fists, she levered herself back onto it, throwing herself backwards, and felt the bed give a satisfying thump. Sitting on the floor and chewing on a large bone she had bought them, Aries and Loki simultaneously whined softly, giving her large, woebegone looks until she tossed them a pokètreat each. Squabbling, they then fought over who would receive each treat, as one was larger than the other. Massaging her temples, Reana rolled on her side and stared at the wall. Already stressed out from a debacle that morning, when a gang of youths had ganged up on her, and teased her relentlessly, all she had wanted too do was find out if the gym leader would be available for a battle the next morning.

Having too put up with a smarmy mouth, cock headed teenager hadn’t helped her any, and she had returned too the Pokècentre on the edge of town with a headache bordering on migraine proportions. After thinking for a moment, she remembered a sign downstairs advertising some hot spa’s, a recent addition that the Pokècentre had added on. Deciding upon a course of action, Reana grabbed her bath bag, a change of clothes, and her pokèmon’s pokèball’s. Returning them in the middle of an argument, she grabbed her stuff, and locked her room.

Pausing in the hallway, she consulted a sign, and headed decisively for the left hand corridor. Within minutes she was within the large tiled room, heavy with a steamy mist. Luckily, the room was divided into each sex, and the female side was empty. Dumping her things on a bench close too the largest spa, she slipped from her clothes, placing her bath bag close too the side of the spa. Sighing with relief as she eased into the water, she simply lay there for a few minutes, enjoying the feel of the jets of hot water soothing her muscles.

Finally, she remembered her pokèmon, and hurriedly released them. As soon as Loki spotted the water, he jumped in with a joyful yowl, paddling over too Reana and nuzzling her neck. Laughing, she playfully pushed him away, and grabbed a bottle of shampoo. Eyeing the water doubtfully, Aries sighed a large doggy woof, and collapsed beside the bench with the rest of Reana’s belongings. Through experimentation, the teen had found that the Growlithe wasn’t too badly weakened by normal water, which didn’t have a pokèmon’s water energy coursing through it. Cold water weakened him just as much though, but luckily enough, nice, hot water didn’t affect him too badly- though he could only stand it for very short periods of time.

However, that didn’t stop the gangly pup’s aversion too water, especially as with his large puppy paws, it accounted too him slipping and sliding everywhere. Lathering the shampoo between her hands, Reana whistled sharply, calling Loki back from where he had been riding the water jets, his silver drenched coat rippling out around him. Grinning, and his dark blue sickle gleaming in the soft lights, he paddled over too her. Sitting on a ledge on the side of the bath, Reana pulled him up onto her lap, and began the slow process of washing his fur.

Inside the large bathing room, it seemed almost timeless, and Reana began too hum under her breath, as Loki purred with pleasure as she scratched him just above the base of his tail, something that Gary had mentioned most feline pokèmon liked. On the cool ceramic tiles beside her, Aries whined softly, and shuffled closer. Giggling, Reana reached a hand back and scratched his chin, earning a belly deep sigh of satisfaction. However, she soon turned back too Loki, washing the hair-care products from his fur. With that done, she gently pushed him off of her lap, absently noting how big he had gotten- instead of barely reaching her ankles, the young Absol now stood with his shoulders at about halfway too her knees.

Aries, on the other hand, easily stood at up too her knees at shoulder height, though his overly large paws where giving him some co-ordination problems. Giving him a small smile, she beckoned him closer, and didn’t hear the main room door open, and someone enter the baths on the male side. Although the baths where separated, it was a simple wooden structure similar too a fence, and ended about a metre or so from the ceiling, easily allowing sound too carry between the two rooms. Added too the fantastic acoustics the tiled floors and walls provided, and the emptiness of the baths, it meant that Reana’s words and actions sounded unusually loud.

“C’mon Aries, it’s okay, don’t you want a bathy-wathy?” Cooing too her pokèmon, she gently soothed him into her lap, and on the other side of the joined rooms, a slender red eyebrow rose in surprise. “See, isn’t this water nice and warm? Who’s a good Growlithe? Yes you are!” Her voice low and even, she carefully wet the fire pokèmon’s coat, pretending not too notice how he shivered and leant closer too her- Aries was very touchy about his weaknesses. Carefully, Reana lathered her hands up, keeping a running commentary of what she was doing.

“See, this is shampoo Aries. Now, I’m going too rub it into your fur- no, calm down, it’s okay!” A slight note of panic entered the teen’s voice, and in the other room, relaxing in a spa tub, the only other occupant listened with interest, a half-smile playing on his lips. A loud splash echoed throughout rooms, as well as a frightened yelp, a satisfied yowl, and a painful screech.

“Jesus Christ you bloody mongrel!” Reana howled, cradling her stomach. Four red welts had appeared across it, and she moaned softly, her emerald eyes slitted. She cradled herself in the water for a moment, before her furious gaze settled on Loki. “Okay you little troublemaker, get your arse over here right now!” She yelled, and relaxing on the other side, the older teenager snickered quietly, listening too the drama unfolding.

“Sol! Absol ab-sol sol Absol!” The pokèmon whined pathetically, and the teen listened too the sound of claws clicking on the tiles. There was a angry bark, and then a frightened, “No Aries, no, no, no- aaiiee!” The statement was cut off with a wail, and the sound of a large splash. For a moment, there was silence, and then suddenly, “Aries, get your nose out of there now.” The older teens eyes widened substantially, and he sat up in the spa bath, both eyebrows disappearing into his hairline.

On the female side, Reana was sitting in the largest spa bath, Aries plastered across her, his face shoved against her chest. Vaguely, she heard a muffled whine, which she took too mean that he was stuck. Blushing furiously, she carefully pried him out, pulling her water drenched locks from her face, where they had gotten loose from her bun. Serving her pokèmon an exasperated look, she told them, “We can have a bath later then. And Loki- next time, do not start splashing when I’ve got Aries in my lap! For that offence, you are going straight too your pokèball after dinner.”

The red haired teen couldn’t hold it in any longer- he burst out laughing at the sound of the girls scolding tone, and the pitiful whines that followed it. Startled by the sound, Reana’s head jerked up, her cheeks burning with embarrassment. ‘Oh no, how much did he hear?’ She thought too herself, hurrying too her clothes. Feeling like her face was on fire, she hurriedly dried herself off, and dried her pokèmon afterwards, having learnt that it was safer too dress after they where dry.

When that was done, and she was dressed, the embarrassed teen slipped from the spa room with her pokèmon, suddenly craving the need too be in her room. And silently, a small green bird followed her, unblinking eyes glued too her figure.

  //x-o-x\\

 

“Alright, you both ready?” Crouched down on the ground beside her pokèmon, Reana was sitting on the lawn outside of the Violet City Pokècentre. Both her pokèmon where raring for battle, as she had been training them for some time, in order too give herself the best possible chance too take on the gym leader, who specialised in bird pokèmon. This immediately put Reana at a disadvantage, and she had been researching battle strategies on the Internet, and then modifying them for her own use, adapting them too her pokèmon.

Although the area around Violet City was rich in pokèmon, such as birds, bugs, and even a few water and ghost types, she wasn’t quite ready too catch another pokèmon yet. Whilst most trainers she had met had large, diverse numbers of pokèmon, Reana had decided too try and stick too no more than twelve pokèmon- two teams. Her reasoning was that if she had any more, she wouldn’t be able to care and train them properly. Also, the two pokèmon that she did have where quite a handful, and she was hard put to keep up with them.

“Absol!” “Grooowlithe!”

Both her pokèmon happily let her know that they where ready too go, dancing around her ankles. At this stage, both her pokèmon where at level thirteen, and from the booklet that she had received when she had signed up for the Johto League, it would mean that she would easily be able too defeat the gym leader. If she was even let in… Pushing the negative thoughts too the back of her mind, Reana whistled sharply too Loki and Aries, and began walking to the northern part of the small city.

It was about a 15-minute walk from the Pokècentre to the gym, which gave her pokèmon plenty of time too limber up. Mentally reviewing her pokèmon, Reana compared them against what she had heard of the gym leader.

‘Lets see… Loki is at Level 13, and so far he knows Scratch, Leer, Taunt, and Quick attack. Aries is also at Level 13, and he knows Bite, Roar, and Ember. The gym leaders pokèmon should only know Tackle, Gust, Sand attack, and Quick attack between them. The only thing I’ve got too be careful of is their higher speed and evasiveness, so I have too hit them hard and fast.’

Satisfied with her analysis, she snapped out of her daze, noticing that they where quite close too the gym now, and that the crowds around them had increased. Whistling, she summoned Loki and Aries from where they had been investigating a bush, motioning for them too ‘heel’, which simply meant sticking close by her side, where she could easily reach them.

As they got closer, Reana noticed that more and more people where staring at her and her pokèmon, and once more, a torrent of whispers had begun. Determined too ignore them, she straightened her spine and continued heading for the gym. Beside her, Loki and Aries seemed quite agitated, snapping and snarling at everyone who passed them, hackles raised. Absently, Reana reached out and petted each of them, and they quieted slightly.

Finally, they reached the large, grey stoned tower. Moving through the automatic doors, the teen swept her gaze around the waiting room. ‘Good, there’s no one here.’ Sitting at the desk was a petite young girl, who smiled widely as Reana came over. “You here too fight Faulkner?” she queried, her voice bright with innocent cheeriness. Sweeping the dark thoughts that had begun too form at the back of her mind away, she smiled in return. “Yes please, is it okay if I go in now?” Glancing wide eyed at the pokèmon standing beside the tawny haired trainer, the little girl nodded, her small pigtails bouncing as she did so.

Leaping from her chair, she disappeared in a blaze of neon coloured clothing, headed down a small hallway too a large elevator. “Up here!” She yelled, vigorously pushing the button, and un-wrapping a lollipop. Suppressing her laughter, Reana got into the elevator after the young girl, Aries and Loki sniffing the sticky hands which where presented too them. Although Aries was only at about mid-thigh height on Reana, the Growlithe puppy easily reach the young girls midsection, and was enthusiastically cleaning her face. Loki was sitting quietly beside Reana, his violet eyes gleaming, his sickle shining in the faint light.

After several minutes travel, the elevator jerked too a halt, and the dark haired girl skipped through the opening, revealing a large, open-air stadium. “Faulkner, there’s a challenger here!” She called out in a singsong voice, skipping over too him. An older teen with similar features ruffled her hair affectionately. “Alright squirt, over too the bleachers.” Grinning widely at him, she skipped off once more, joining a group of trainers who where lounging around.

Faulkner was a hand span taller than Reana, who stood at around 5”7. His dark hair was slicked back and slightly spiked, and he wore a dark grey vest and pants, with a short sleeved, pale grey muscle shirt beneath that. A gold earring winked in one ear, and hazel eyes regarded her curiously as Reana stepped up too the challengers box, her pokèmon too either side.

The stadium was round, with bleachers surrounding the large, dirt floor. The arena was a large square divided by a line down the middle, a large circle at the centre. Half circles where at both ends, and where were trainers stood and directed their pokèmon. Faulkner was standing in the centre circle, and he gazed at her impassively. Through a throat gone dry as the floor beneath her, Reana called out, “Faulkner, I challenge you too a battle for the Zephyr badge.” The older teen regarded her for a moment, before smirking. “Sure little girl, if you wanna play…” His voice trailed off, his body posture radiating arrogant amusement.

Frowning, Reana gestured curtly. “Are you going too stand around all day, or are we going too battle?” His smirk slipped slightly, and she could see anger briefly flash in his eyes. “Fine.” Turning on his heel, the dark haired teen strode too the other side of the arena, motioning a referee over. “Two on two battle fine by you?” He asked, his voice contemptuous. Snapping her jaw shut, Reana nodded stiffly. ‘Jackass!’ She thought too herself, emerald eyes narrowing slightly. ‘He’s treating this like a big joke, just because I’m a girl. Well, I’ll show him!’ She thought angrily, as the gym leader threw a pokèball too the floor.

“Go, Pidgey!” he called out, and Reana took a deep breath too calm herself. ‘Alright… its time to get serious.’ Her face slipping into a familiar, cold mask, she crossed her arms lightly across her chest, the anger in her eyes fading to a cool contempt as she regarded the gym leader. Motioning slightly, the silver dappled Absol at her side moved too the battlefield, his movements smooth and flowing, the sickle upon his forehead gleaming dangerously. On the side of the field, the referee called out, “The Challenger, Reana, versus the Gym Leader, Faulkner. This is a two on two battle for the Zephyr Badge. Fight!” And with that, both flags dropped.

Faulkner immediately leapt into action, obviously predicting an easy win, his pride blinding him too the polished glow of his opponents coat, and the muscles rippling beneath it. Before him, a mottled dun coloured Pidgey fluttered, awaiting his command. “Pidgey, Sand attack! Follow up with tackle!” He shouted, as his pokèmon began flapping furiously, stirring up clouds of sand. Across the arena, the tawny haired teen regarded him for a moment, before her eyes flicked towards her pokèmon.

“Absol, Evasive movements two and three, followed by counter attack four.” The gym leader was momentarily baffled by the obscure language the teen was using, but shrugged it off. His Pidgey had billowed the sand of the arena too such a degree that visibility was almost nil, and with a shrill cry, dived into the mass of shifting sand, headed for where the silver Absol had been last. As it swooped in for the attack, it was stunned too meet nothing but thin air. Cooing with distress, it awaited its trainer’s orders.

After a moment, Faulkner called out, “Pidgey, fly out!” Obviously, he hadn’t expected the attack too be so effective, as the airborne sand had blocked his view of his own pokèmon. As the bird pokèmon moved too obey, there was a loud growl from beneath it. Petrified, the small bird hovered for a moment, before screeching with fear and heading for the sky. Sand boiled below it, and from a small drift of the collected debris, Loki exploded upwards, eyes burning a fierce red as it locked gazes with the Pidgey.

Intimidated by the leer attack, it paused for a split second, giving the Absol the chance he needed. Yowling fiercely, he drew a paw back, slashing his claws across the small birds body and striking a wing, tearing free several pinion feathers. With a fierce scream of pain, the small bird fluttered too the ground, landing gently on a drift of sand, Loki dropping too the dirt just beside it. As the small bird, no more than half his size, got too its feet, he slammed into it, a mere blur of silver.

Faulkner gaped, watching as his precious Pidgey soared across the arena, about too hit a bleacher. Opposite him, Reana’s emerald eyes flashed slightly. “Loki!” Her voice was soft, but the Absol began moving immediately, utilising his quick attack. Sand billowing behind him, he launched himself into the air, knocking the bird pokèmon of course. It skidded in the dirt for a moment, before ploughing into one of many drifts of sand.

The gym leader raised disbelieving eyes too the teen, who merely glanced impassively at him for a moment, before beckoning too her pokèmon. Wearing a large grin, the silver dappled Absol all but galloped over too her, tail lashing as he skidded too a halt. “Sol, absol!” He cheered, and was rewarded by murmured words of praise, and a pokètreat. The stands, which had previously been shouting encouragement for Faulkner, where eerily silent.

Shaking his head slowly, Faulkner returned his pokèmon, unsure of what too do. Should he use a stronger pokèmon? Eventually deciding not too, he grasped a pokèball on the left hand side of his belt, enlarging it. “Pidgeotto, go!” He cried, revealing a large, tri-coloured bird in a flash of white light. Much larger than its previous evolution, the raptor like bird stalked forward onto the field, issuing a fierce war cry. Beside Reana, Aries had begun too growl, muscles tense as he viewed his prey. Echoing Faulkner’s earlier statement, she commanded him forth. “Lets play.”

Barking, the gangly Growlithe barrelled onto the field, as the referee hastily commenced the battle. Startled, the Pidgeotto attempted too take too the air, but Aries was already upon it, flames boiling in his mouth. “Growl!” with a fierce cry, he launched the mouthful of fire straight at the startled bird, who was barely a metre above the ground. Taking a step back, Faulkner’s eyes widened at the feral ferocity the pokèmon was exhibiting, and cast a wary glance over at his trainer. Regarding the field with a faint trace of amusement, her lips where curled in a faint smile, the wind teasing strands of tawny gold hair around her face, as emerald eyes bored into his own.

“Had enough yet?” Her voice was a mocking mimicry of his own, and the gym leader stiffened in response, choosing to ignore her. “Quick attack Pidgeotto!” He commanded, watching as his pokèmon tried too avoid the snarling Growlithe, from no more than several metres above the ground. Slamming into the fiery chestnut coloured canine, the large bird sent him sprawling with a yelp. Soaring into the air, the bird pokèmon banked sharply, gaining altitude for its dive. With a shrill scream, it began its descent, wings tight against its side.

Shaking his head, Aries planted his feet, and growled at the bird. “Aries, evasive movement one, counter attack four.” Eyes narrowed on his opponent, the Growlithe’s tail gave the slightest wag too show that he understood. The Pidgeotto came closer, its short red crest flattened against its skull. With a rumbling bark, Aries jumped into the air and too the side, landing slightly behind the Pidgeotto as it swooped down. Wings flaring, its tail feathers spread out, as it hurriedly circled around. But Aries was already moving; darting all over the arena flames boiling in his mouth. For a moment or two, the Pidgeotto circled, evidently looking for him.

That gave Aries the time he needed, and he jumped up into the air, flames spewing from his mouth, even as he clamped down on one of the bird pokèmon’s legs. Letting out a fierce scream, the Pidgeotto swung wildly into the air, trying too rid itself of the large Growlithe, that was slowly dragging it too the ground. “Pidgeotto, Gust!” Faulkner commanded, watching the battle intently.

Flapping its wings fiercely, the bird pokèmon quickly created a small whirlwind, which it shot at Aries. Whining, he was forced too drop too the ground, as the Pidgeotto began too create a larger Gust attack. Biting her lip slightly, and hiding her worries, Reana called out, “Ember straight for the gust- and then Roar. End it with offensive manoeuvre two.” Tail wagging, Aries scampered over too the Pidgeotto, who was chanting as it created the large wind attack, forming a small tornado.

Letting the flames build up in his throat, the Growlithe held them back, forming a large fireball. When he could feel the pressure building, he let it loose, in the form of a hail of fire, created buy several continuous Ember attacks. With a crackling sound, the Gust attack absorbed them, and became a tornado of flame, burning an ominous red. Taking a deep breath, the Growlithe concentrated for a moment, before letting out a harsh, rolling bark. The amplified sound swelled around the arena, and every hair stood on end.

His body bristling, and fur standing on end, Aries stalked towards the Pidgeotto. “NOW!” Faulkner commanded, his voice straining to be heard above the noise of his pokèmon’s attack. Screaming its name, the bird pokèmon gave a final flap, sending the attack straight for the Growlithe. Barking savagely, he rushed straight into it, and was sucked up by the whirlwind. Inside its belly, flinching occasionally from the cutting wind, the fire pokèmon strained too see his opponent, who was baffled by his foolish move.

Finally seeing the large bird pokèmon hover, he growled, baring his teeth, and summoning his Ember attack once more. Feeling the Gust attack slowly sapping his strength, he hurried too pour more and more fire into the tornado. Picking up dust, it began too move erratically, as Aries aimed his attack straight down the tornado’s centre, even as he was whipped around the edges. Struggling, he forced himself closer too it’s Eye. Even as the brutal winds battered his body. “growlITHE!’ He howled, unleashing another Roar attack. As the fire filled tornado raced towards the Pidgeotto, it was paralysed for a moment, barely able too move.

“Piidggeee!” it screamed, and began too struggle, as the winds of the dieing wind attack grasped hold of it. Flaming whips lashed its body, charring feathers, as the tornado began too unravel, a tired and injured Growlithe hovering at its centre. Slowly, he floated towards the ground, as the tongues of flame erupting towards the sky around him slowly disseminated. Reana’s eyes where wide, and she held her breath as both pokèmon staggered too the arena floor, breathing harshly. For a moment, both where still, before Aries slowly hauled himself too his feet, and gave a short whine.

On the sidelines, the referee shouted, “And the Challenger wins the second battle, and the Zephyr badge!” Rushing over too her pokèmon, the teens mask dropped, as she anxiously cuddled him, pulling a potion from her backpack as she cradled his head in her lap. “You goofball, you weren’t supposed too do that! You confused the moves gain!” She scolded, her eyes shimmering slightly as she dribbled some of the purple liquid onto the exhausted pokèmon’s tongue.

Blinking, Faulkner stared at her for a moment, before returning his own pokèmon. “Good job,” He told it briefly, as he attached the ball too his belt. Taking a small badge from his pocket, the dark haired teen moved over too Reana, who was scolding Aries as he whined, trying too get away from her as she vigorously squirted purple liquid on every scrape she could find. With an annoyed growl, the Growlithe pushed his pokèball with his nose, disappearing inside. At her side, the silver dappled Absol snickered, earning a weak cuff across the back of the head.

“Shuddup.” She told him, placing the empty potion bottle back in her backpack, and brushing herself off as she got too her feet. “That was a great battle. You earned the Zephyr badge, as well as TM 31, Mud slap. Also, you can now use the Hidden Machine Flash outside of battle.” Reana looked up, a smile growing on her face, but it died as soon as she saw Faulkner’s face, and heard the venom underlying his words. Hesitant, she walked over. The older teen shoved the items forward, throwing them at her.

Fumbling, the teen barely managed to catch the small box, and coin sized badge. Giving him an irritated glance, she returned Loki too his pokèball, as he seemed too be in a slight amount of pain, and a large bruise was forming on his ribs from where the Pidgey had struck him. Pausing for a moment to gather herself, Reana clipped both pokèball’s onto her belt, and picked up her backpack. “I thank you for the battle, gym leader Faulkner.” Her voice cool, and thick with contempt, she turned on her heel and stalked from the arena, and her cold glare pinned Faulkner where he stood, until the closing elevators doors blocked her from view.

Behind him, from the stands, the young trainers studying under him began too mutter, and wisps of conversation drifted towards him. “Stupid bitch…. “ … dare she!” “… nerve…” His mouth tight in a grim smile, the flying pokèmon trainer whistled sharply, and from a small eyrie hidden on the other side of the arena, a large Pidgeot burst into view, its tri-coloured crest streaming behind it. “I’m leaving for a short period.” Faulkner barked, as he mounted his pokèmon.

As his pokèmon shot towards the clouds, he let the peace and serenity of the sky wash over him, slowly draining away the bitterness left over from his battle. The girl’s tactics had been good, he would admit that- but she wouldn’t get far. Girls never did. But as his pokèmon dipped and soared, an uneasy thought niggled at the back of his mind. ‘But how could she communicate with her pokèmon so well?’

  //x-o-x\\

 

Mist. Thick and steamy, it enveloped her, shrouding and protecting her, yet at the same time, obscuring her vision, preventing her from taking action. But what action was needed?

Making her way slowly forward, the ground was barely visible beneath her feet, and what little she could see revealed thick grass, brushing up too at least mid thigh. A meadow?

A strange sense of calm pervaded her, even as the knowledge of her impending doom crashed upon her. For a brief moment, the mist lapped at her body, crying with a thousand voices, and their grief stabbed at her heart like needles. And then It came. Swooping through the mist, its dark form was eerily visible, as the white streamers that obscured her form recoiled away from It in fear.

Standing her ground, she waited patiently, even as the stench if Itreached her, a boiling, pervading, cloying sense of utter terror. The miasma clung too her form, whispering in a thousand voices, accusations of weakness. Shaking her head slightly, long tawny gold strands shone in the faint moonlight, dispersing the miasma. Glancing briefly at her body, the mist streamed too her aid, and soon the foul sludge was gone.

Leaving the beast.

As It got closer and closer too her, the shape of It suddenly seemed to dominate her view, and it was all she could do to draw breath in It’s stifling presence. And just as her lungs where beginning to scream, her throat hoarse from hacking, It… exploded.

A dark rain dispersing in all directions, it completely surrounded her, blocking off al means of escape. Once more the accusations began, issuing from the tiny droplets that hung in the air, the voices amplified and speaking as one, yet many, in a hissing, sibilant sound.

“pathetic…”
”Useless… 221;

“good for nothing…”

“selfish bitch…”

Her lack of reaction seemed too agitate the voices, as they suddenly began screeching, drawing her attention away from the dark vortex forming before her. Emerald eyes closed briefly, allowing the mask to slip. Sweat beaded on her forehead, and her hair rustled around her, as though trying to shield her.

Her eyes opened; and the mask was replaced.

“Never amount too anything…”

“just a girl…”

“Weak little child…”

“Betrayer…”

Her breath came in shuddering gasps, and she threw her head back, eyes squeezed shut too contain the liquid within, as she strained too hold the taunting voices at obey. They where lying… they had too be.

In the darkness before her, a shape slowly took form, drawing the light in, dimming and subduing the world around her. The mist had vanished long ago.

The figure merely stood there, two darker shapes at its sides, a hand on the top of each. Waiting.

Shuddering slightly, she forced her eyes open, fists clenched at her sides, muscles tensed. The voices grew in volume, responding too her fear, mocking her… taunting her. All of her secret fears and desires where brought forth and turned against her, in a screaming vortex of negative energy, as the particles of the dark being began too expand in size.

Grass. The sweet scent of crushed vegetation, as she sank too one knee, hands locked over her ears. Soft whispers of denial, slowly rising in pitch as the voices began too close in. A clear liquid streamed down her cheeks, and emerald eyes shone with a soft, muted light.

Footsteps. The soft rustle of grass passing, and the sound of someone sitting down beside her. A voice, thick with contempt and cocky arrogance.

“You never would have made it, you know.”

The voices increased their volume yet again, and she let out a muffled scream, curling up into a ball, denying all that was said too her.

“Of course, only a male would ever be able too train pokèmon properly.”

“Only a male could become a pokèmon master.”

Shaking her head violently, the streams of liquid trickling from her eyes doubled in force. It wasn’t true.

“Did you really expect too get beyond the first gym? Even now, people whisper as you walk past, hatred lurking in their hearts and minds. No mere femalecould hope too battle that.”

His voice was ruthless and cold, and once more she tried too slip the mask into place, too calm her raging emotions, too become cool and collected. In control. And yet, once more it slipped through her fingers, and she let out a cry of dismay.

Cold, dark eyes turned her way, as a hand gripped her chin, forcing her too look up. Struggling too contain the whimpers bubbling in throat, she struggled weakly, feeling her strength drain away from her like water through a child’s fingers.

“D-don’t…”

She whispered, the first audible word she had voiced. A head of thick, dark hair shifted slightly, as he cocked his head too one side, and she became aware of the beasts patiently awaiting his command a short distance away.

Her eyes widened, pupils dilating with distress, and she fought him once more, a pained cry flying from her lips as his grip increased. Slowly, he leant forward, forcing her too inhale his deep, musky scent.

A voice of deep baritone chuckled with amusement, sadistic pleasure flaring in his eyes.

“Oh yes, fight it- fight me. But you can’t escape little one- for destiny will catch up with you in the end…”

His voice trailing off too a whisper, he shifted her face slightly, drawing it closer too his own. She could feel his breath fan her lips, and she whimpered softly, terror boiling in her gut, turning her limbs too jelly. She knew what was coming.

Slowly, his lips descended towards her own, and a tear trickled down her cheek, the darkness behind her eyes consuming her…

“NOOO!”

  //x-o-x\\

 

Scre aming, Reana jerked bolt up right in bed, her jaw throbbing, eyes sightlessly staring forward. An unknown sense of terror invaded every fibre of her body, and her breath came in shallow pants, gently stirring the tawny gold strands drifting into her line of vision.

Her strength seemed too dissolve like water, and for many minutes, all she could do was sit in bed, shivering, and staring at the wall. All details of her dream had escaped the distraught teen upon waking, leaving her only with the sour taste of fear at the back of her throat, and a lingering sense of terror.

Finally, a wet nose pushing at her hand, and a rough tongued lick on the face brought her back too reality, and she took in a deep, shuddering breath, emerald eyes searching the room wildly for an imagined threat, lurking in the shadows. Too her relief, she found nothing- only the warm, afternoon sunlight streaming in through the small window, set at the end of the bed.

Taking deep, calming breathes, she slowly swung her legs over the edge of the bed, and the physical pains of such a long sleep suddenly assailing her. Spotting her blue backpack, she all but leapt at it, hurriedly tearing open a small packet of sandwiches as soon as she reached them. Finally, after gorging herself on the remnants of her travel rations, she collapsed back onto her bed, two warm bodies curling up beside her. For a moment, terror struck her once more, but the comforting feel of soft fur beneath her fingers, and clean, sharp scents, both feline and canine, pervaded her senses and lulled her too sleep.

When the teen woke up once more, the rosy gold colour of the sunset was flooding through her bedroom window, tinting the world a pale pink. Blinking, she tried too adjust herself, feeling slightly dis-orientated. Finally, she remembered where she was. “I’m… at the Violet City Pokèmon Centre.” Reassuring herself with the knowledge, she slowly played back the events of the last few week, wincing as she encountered memories of the hostile behaviour she had experienced. Satisfied, she got up, moving into the small bathroom attached too the room she had rented.

After a short shower, and in fresh clothes, she felt much better, the lingering sense of foreboding fear from her dream a mere shadow at the back of her mind. Greeting her ecastic pokèmon, she snapped their harnesses on, snatching up her room card. Making sure that she had all her gear, she left her pack in her room and exited the Pokècentre. Loki and Aries cavorted around her, the larger, fiery chestnut Growlithe often unintentionally bumping his smaller, silver dappled counterpart.

After a short tussle, Reana reached the small park on the edges of the town, and set her pokèmon loose. Curling up against a tree trunk, the sixteen year old strained too remember the contents on her dream, but was only able too remember that a vague sense of fear and accusation had permutated the entire episode. When she surfaced from her thoughts, two happily panting pokèmon where lying at her feet. It was only then that Reana noticed that the park was empty, and that twilight had long ago descended upon the surrounding area.

Frowning slightly, she got too her feet, looking around uneasily. Standing one too each side, her pokèmon suddenly froze, before warning growls rose in the back of their throats. Decidedly nervous, Reana hurried too leave the park, her pokèmon bristling with anger. As she reached the entrance, a figure stepped from the gloomy shadows surrounding it, flashing her a grin. Slowly, several others youths appeared, circling around the teen and her pokèmon.

Glancing around wildly, Reana’s heart sank as she noticed that there was no one around. Glancing at her pokèmon, she stiffened her spine slightly. ‘No wayam I letting these jerks push me around!’ She thought fiercely, narrowing her eyes at the leader, who stood directly in front of her. He wore a nasty, cocky smile upon his face, and in the darkness of the quickly descending nighttime, his neon green hair stood out sharply.

Sending a sly look at his companions, the teen called out, “We don’t appreciate little trainer wannabes.” A dozen fists smacked into palms, and Reana found her mind racing, as she fought too remember the self-defence lessons she had taken so long ago. “Specially not girls, who think they can beat the gym leader without punishment.” Feeling the fear bubbling in her stomach, Reana forced herself too stay calm.

Slipping into her game mask, her body slowly straightened, arms folded across her chest. Her eyes narrowed and cold, she simply glared at him, her pokèmon silent beside her. The teen’s confidence wavered for a moment, before he tossed his head slightly. “Get ‘er boys!” Yelling war cries, the half a dozen teens surged pokèmon. Her eyes widened for a split second, before Reana dropped into a crouch. “Aries, Ember and Bite! Loki, combined Scratch and Quick Attack!” Whatever qualms she had possessed about using pokèmon against humans suddenly dropped, as the teens charged towards her.

Her face passive, she shifted into a lower crouch, waiting patiently. Inwardly, she was fretting, her mind churning as she remembered what her teachers had taught her. Taking a deep breath, she focused on the closest teen. So far, only two had managed too get near her- the other four where being handled by her pokèmon. Focus narrowing, she flung herself into a handstand, quickly converting it into a back flip, her feet lashing out too kick the nearest teen in the stomach. Winded, he collapsed too the floor, groaning.

As she moved back too her feet, there was a grunt from behind her, and pain blossomed across her face. A cry escaped her lips, and she thudded into the dirt. Forcing herself too move, she valiantly tried to move from the ground, but a foot was pressing into the small of her back, preventing her movement. Her eyes squeezed shut as she prepared for the pain, Reana sucked her breath in, straining to move muscles that had suddenly frozen with fear.

A ferocious howl ripped through the sounds of the small battle, and the fallen teen gingerly opened her eyes, looking for the source of the sound. What she saw shocked her beyond belief, and she let her breath out in a sharp blast, commingled shock and fear dancing across her face, as her ‘game’ mask slipped. Standing before her where her pokèmon, Aries and Loki, both glowing with an unearthly light. Both had ruffled fur, and Loki had a smudge of a reddish brown liquid upon his sickle bladed horn, as did Aries, around his mouth.

As they advanced upon the remaining teen, he began too gibber with terror. Finally, he turned tail and ran, as did his friends- though several managed too batter Reana slightly on their way past. The breath whistling in and out of her lungs, Reana fought too rise too her feet, intending too praise her pokèmon, who had rushed towards her, worry etched upon their faces. “you…did…great…” She managed too gasp, before her vision dimmed, and she fell unconscious, her body striking the gravel path with a soft thud.

  

  

  

 

  postamble();