Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Master ❯ Stage Six - Spirits of Past and Future ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Stage Six - Spirits of Past and Future
By: SilvorMoon

The Dratini crouched on the floor, its eyes half-closed in pain and exhaustion. Its trainer took a few steps closer to it, and it shivered, whimpering faintly and trying to use what little strength it had to pull away from her. There was nowhere to go, though; the room was nothing more than an empty square of stone, and the only doorway to freedom was blocked by the trainer herself. Clair glared down at the Pokemon, tapping her whip against her boot in annoyance.

"You're pathetic," she hissed at it. "Look at you! You can't stand up to anything, can you?"

The Dratini whimpered again. It was shivering uncontrollably.

"You're a waste of my time," Clair continued. "I ought to just dump you and be done with it. I could hand you over to those filthy Rockets. Would you like that? Do you really want to spend the rest of your life enslaved to them? Do you want to be used by them until they shatter you? No? Then you had better straighten up. You should be grateful I was willing to take you here and train you at all. I, the greatest Pokemon trainer in Johto, once the most powerful woman in the world..."

She trailed off, losing herself for a moment in the shadows of memory. The Dratini, sensing her distraction, relaxed just a trifle. Clair caught the movement and cracked the whip across its back, making it squeak as another whiplash was added to its collection.

"You will pay attention when you are in my presence!" she barked. "Do you hear that? I will not be disrespected! Not by you, not by anyone!"

The creature cringed again, and Clair glowered at it.

"You have to get stronger," she told it icily. "I will stand for nothing less. I refuse to be beaten because of your weakness. Not again."

Beaten... how Clair hated that word, especially when it was applied to herself. There had been a time when it was unthinkable, back when she was still in her prime and her rise to the top looked like it would never be obstructed by anything. Even when she was very young, she had shown a skill that was nearly genius for training and tactics, so that before she was even old enough to officially join the ranks of trainers, she'd already assembled a collection of strong and intelligent Pokemon who obeyed her without question. She'd completed the Gym Challenge flawlessly, taking on Gym Leader after Gym Leader without effort. Her talent had caught the eye of Lance the Dragon Master himself, the most powerful trainer on the face of the earth. It was he who had taken her under his wing and completed her training by inducting her into the ranks of the Dragon Masters. With that kind of power at her disposal, there had been no one in the world who could stand against her. She'd been made Leader of the highest Gym in Johto, and she'd been sure she had what it took to rise even higher. Lance's bond with his Pokemon was so strong that he'd never had any room for humans in his life, so he'd never fathered any children, and it was common knowledge that Clair was his heir apparent. Lance wasn't as young as he used to be; he'd retire soon, and then it would be she who ruled over the Elite Four as Champion. In the meantime, she would bide her time in Blackthorn, defeating the hopeful trainers who came her way. There had not been many of them, after a while. She had not lost a match in years, and had a record of defeating hundreds of trainers, thousands of Pokemon. After a while, they stopped coming. Secure on her throne, protected by the sacred powers of the dragons, Clair felt what it was to be divine.

And then, without warning, a boy had come to town. He hadn't looked like anything in particular, just another up-and-comer, a brand new trainer - from New Bark Town, no less, not even a proper Gym city. He should have been nothing against all her power and her years of experience... but he'd beaten her. She'd tried to cover up for it by refusing to give him the Badge, sending him instead to the Dragon Cave on some foolish little quest, trusting to the sacred dragons who lived inside to put the interloper in his place. Instead, he'd returned triumphant with the Dragon Fang, mark of mastery even over the dragons, and she'd had no choice but to finally, finally admit the shameful truth of her defeat.

If it had been one defeat, it might not have been so bad. One defeat laid against hundreds of winning matches still left her the greatest trainer in Johto. Her reputation should have been left intact - she still should have been everything she'd been before that fateful battle. Therefore, she was surprised at the reaction she'd gotten from people when the news got out. She'd expected surprise, of course, even shock and outrage. Instead there was celebration. She had been amazed to find out that in the eyes of the general populace, she wasn't the goddess she thought she was, but a villain who had been keeping the trainers of the world from reaching their full potential, standing between them and Elite Four fame. Now the false idol had been toppled, by a little boy, no less, and the whole continent was celebrating her defeat. The boy was a hero, now, on par with that Ketchum boy everyone credited with destroying Team Rocket.

As for Clair, she suddenly found herself with a lot of work to do. People who never would have dared challenge the invincible Dragon Master were now flocking to Blackthorn in droves. People she'd defeated before came back to challenge her; people who'd given up on the Gym Challenge after defeating Pryce were now coming back to finish the job. It seemed like every day she had at least one new challenger, and often more than one, and even if she still defeated most of them, the sheer number of challengers guaranteed that she would be beaten sometimes. One loss, two, three, ten, twenty - the numbers added up with horrifying speed, until even she was forced to admit that she was now just another Gym Leader, slightly better than most, but that was all. Somehow, though, she was going to get everything back, no matter what it took or who she had to make deals with...

"You have considerable skill with that whip," said an unexpected voice behind her. "You must have been practicing."

Clair whirled in place, her face twisting into a snarl. "Giovanni! What are you doing here? And in broad daylight, no less! People will see you!"

"I was very careful," he answered blandly, stepping into the room. "My chances are slightly better here than they were in Kanto, but I still prefer not to challenge fate too much. It has a funny way of turning on you when you least expect it."

"You have personal experience with that, don't you?" she answered.

"I have experience with getting overconfident and taking risks," he answered coolly. "Something I advise you not to do if you don't have to. My spies report seeing one of your Dragonites lurking in places you have no business being. Might I ask what that was all about?"

"If your spies were so clever, you'd know," she retorted. "For your information, that dratted nephew of yours has taken up with bad company."

"Ember was brought up in bad company. We are Team Rocket, after all."

"Company that's bad for him," she said. "For reasons passing my understanding, he's taken a shine to some silly trainer girl. It's only a matter of time before he lets something slip. I wouldn't be surprised if he's already told her everything he knows."

Giovanni frowned a bit. "That's not likely. Ember knows very well not to go telling Team Rocket secrets. He's never been talkative by nature."

"Perhaps," answered Clair, "but the girl is already in on some things by herself. Very reliable sources tell me that it was her and an annoying friend who broke up your operation in Ilex Forest. She knows something is going on. She came up here snooping around, and now, my sources tell me, she's heading straight toward Ecruteak City. So is your nephew."

"Ecruteak is a Gym City. If she's a trainer, she has every reason to go to Ecruteak. I think you're overreacting."

"Then you aren't concerned about her getting into your operations there?"

"Hm," said Giovanni. "Now that you mention it, perhaps it would be best to take a few precautions."

"I knew you'd see it my way," said Clair. "What did you come here for, anyway? You don't need me for anything right now, or you shouldn't."

"Perhaps I just like watching you work," he answered.

"Don't you take that leering tone of voice with me," snapped Clair. "I still have some pride left, after all. I will not be treated like some weak woman."

"I wouldn't dream of it," he said. "You certainly are defensive. A person would think I was posing a threat to your dubious modesty." He made a meaningful appraisal of her black leather costume.

"You would have to be very foolish, to think I would fall for your dubious charms."

"An apt retort," he answered. "I suspected that would be your answer, but I wouldn't feel I'd done my job if I didn't at least make the offer."

"I barely have time to waste on scum like you for business purposes," answered Clair. "If you want to improve yourself in my sight, you had better start doing something besides talk."

"What have you got in mind?"

"Loan me a few of your people - members or servants or whatever you call them. I have a job I want done."

"It doesn't take much to make you happy," he commented. "Very well. A group of five trainers will appear on your doorstep sometime tonight. You'll beat them all soundly, of course, and they'll hurry away as fast as they can. One of them will present the sign of the Earthbadge as proof they are from me."

"You aren't the leader of that Gym anymore," said Clair. "You don't have the authority to be handing out Badges."

He smiled thinly. "You forget; I'm a criminal. I am my own authority."

"Very well, then. I'll look forward to my forthcoming victory, then," Clair replied. "Now, have you said everything you wanted to say?"

"For now. Count on seeing me again soon, though."

He bowed and made his exit, closing the door silently behind him. Clair simply sighed in faint disgust. His attitude was insufferable, but for now, she had to put up with him. Once she got everything back under control, then she could think about removing him. That would be a fine addition to her track record, proving Team Rocket was trying to regroup again and personally shutting it down.

In the meantime, though, having her own personal team of Rockets delivered to her had a certain appeal. She was used to controlling Pokemon, but she had never given much thought to having actual human servants who were bound to do her will. She decided she liked the idea.

"We'll see how it works," she mused. "If things work out, perhaps I won't shut the Rockets down entirely. Giovanni rose from a Gym Leader to the ruler of an empire of thieves. I'm a better leader than ever he was. Perhaps, with competent guidance, the Rockets could become something more. If I owned them, maybe they could finally reach their goal..."

She clapped her hands together, her face suddenly radiant.

"The world," she said. "I'll have the world at my feet. Once I rule them all, they'll never forget my power again."

~*~

Aurora awoke to birdsong. She stretched, blinking in the early-morning sunlight, and looked around for the source. She and Laine hadn't been able to find a suitable Pokemon center that night, so they had been forced to camp out on the ground - not a very comfortable situation, she mused, picking a twig out of her hair, but nobody ever said being a trainer would be easy.

Realizing she was awake, a Pidgey swooped down from a nearby tree and landed at her feet, twittering a happy good morning. The noise woke Scar, and he sat up and glared at the interloper through his good eye. Laine rolled over and tried to pull her blanket over her head.

"Make that thing shut up," she mumbled. "It's too early in the mornin' to be singin'."

"Pidgey, pidgey?" chirped the bird uncertainly.

"It's all right," Aurora assured it. "She's always like that first thing in the morning."

"Pidgey," it said. "Pidgey, pidgey."

"A letter? For me?" asked Aurora.

The Pidgey chirped agreement, holding out one leg. Aurora could see that there was indeed a piece of paper there, tied in place with a bright blue string. She quickly undid the string and was rewarded with a curled-up envelope, which she opened. Inside was a letter and a folded bit of thin cloth wrapped around a small object of some sort. She unfolded the letter.

"Look at this," she said, addressing Laine's blanket since the girl herself was refusing to come out. "I've got a letter from Falkner."

"Huh?" said Laine, poking her head out again and blinking sleepily. "Let me see!"

"When I'm done reading," said Aurora. She settled down to peruse the note.

"Dear Aurora," it read,

Hello! I told you I'd write, and I have. I hope your journey is going well. I heard you had a bit of excitement in Azalea Town. Congratulations on a heroic feat! In case you haven't heard yet, the Rocket you caught made a full confession and has promised to give up his life of crime on the condition that no one will let "that Skarmory" near him again. Even so, he's going to jail for a while, so even if he doesn't keep his word, he won't be bothering us again anytime soon.

I've had a flock of Pidgeys keeping an eye on you, but even the news from the birds can't keep but so close a watch. They're flighty creatures, sometimes, so my news on you has been patchy. The last I heard, you and your friend were in Goldenrod City. If that's where this letter finds you, STAY THERE - at least for a while. All the word from the birds is telling me that uncanny things are going on in Ecruteak. The spirits there are restless, and even Morty is having trouble keeping them calm. Rocket activity has been picking up, too. After years of them doing practically nothing, I'm suddenly getting word on them every day. You may be in danger. I know you're not the kind to be afraid of trouble, but I still wouldn't feel right if I at least didn't warn you that everything is not what it should be right now. If you want my advice, I'd tell you to lay low for a while.

But if you refuse to do that, then I'll at least give you a little help getting yourself out of any trouble you go looking for. When we had our battle, I only gave you the usual monetary forfeit. However, if it had been a Gym battle, you would have been given a bonus, and seeing as how you had the battle totally unprepared, and on your first full day as a trainer at that, I think you deserve something a bit special. Normally I just hand out TM's, but I'm sending you something more useful. You will find in this envelope a Sharp Beak amulet. It boosts the powers of Flying-type Pokemon. Scar will like it - him, or any other bird you feel inclined to give it to. Good luck on your journey. I hope to see you again soon, so try to stay in one piece until then. Sincerely, Falkner, Violet City Gym Leader.

"Stay in one piece?" Aurora muttered. "He really must be worried. I thought he had more confidence in me than that."

"What's he say?" asked Laine, who was now wide awake and staring with interest at the letter.

"Falkner says there's trouble in Ecruteak," said Aurora. "He says there have been too many Rocket sightings lately for his peace of mind... and he says the spirits are restless, whatever that means."

"Ecruteak's a weird place," Laine answered, sounding thoughtful. "Dad told me about it a few times. Powerful things are attracted to it for some weird reason. That's where those wind- dog critters used to hang out, y'know? That's where Lugia and Ho-oh used to live, long time ago. That's why Morty and his ghosts hang out there. There's s'posed to be a lotta spirit power in Ecruteak."

"I don't know about that," said Aurora. "I know ghost Pokemon are real, but I don't really believe in all that spooky stuff people talk about. I'm not superstitious."

"Well, it don't hurt to be careful," Laine replied. "Maybe we should find someplace else to go for a while. I'm not much scared of ghosts, but I do worry 'bout Rockets."

"We've dealt with Rockets before. Anyway, he did do one constructive thing. Look - Falkner sent me a present!"

Aurora opened the packet and took out what appeared to be a necklace. It was a golden charm about the length of her thumb, hung on a sturdy gold chain. The charm itself was triangular, with a small indentation running up the middle and the lower point of the triangle slightly hooked. It really did look a bit like the beak of a raptorial bird. However, even as she was holding it up to admire it in the bright sunlight, something swooped out of nowhere and grabbed it.

"Hey!" Aurora squawked, glaring around for the thief. "Who did that?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?" answered a raspy voice.

Aurora stared. Perched on the lowest limb of a nearby tree was a bird. It had ragged black feathers and a large hooked beak, which Aurora felt sure was grinning at her in some avian way. Its eyes had a wicked light in them, and its claws gripped the chain of her amulet.

"That's a Murkrow," said Laine. "What's he doin' here?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?" it asked again.

"Is that all you know how to say?" asked Aurora irritably.

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

"Oh, for cryin' out loud," Laine muttered. "Not only is it a Murkrow, which is bad enough, it's also got an attitude."

"Get lost!" said the Murkrow.

"That's not much better," said Aurora in the Murkrow's direction. To Laine, she asked, "What do you know about Murkrows?"

"There's not much to know about them," Laine replied. "They're Pokemon, Dark/Flying types. A lot of people think they're bad luck. Mostly they're just big ol' ugly black birds."

"Get lost!" Murkrow squawked.

"Shut up!" Laine shouted back.

"Get lost! Get lost! Get lost!"

Laine sighed. "They also know how to mimic people-talk. Nobody really knows whether they can really talk, or they're just imitatin'. They all have bad attitudes, and they like to steal stuff, especially stuff that sparkles. I dunno what that one's doin' here, though. I didn't think Murkrows lived in this neck of the woods."

"Get lost! Get lost!"

"Maybe he's lost," Aurora suggested.

"Get lost!"

"I betcha somebody brought him out here and lost him on purpose," Laine muttered darkly.

"Well, we're going to have to do something about him," said Aurora. "I want my amulet back. Let's see, what's the best way to deal with a Murkrow?"

"Too bad nobody has a Pikachu or somethin' like that," Laine mused. "I don' think either of us are equipped for a Dark/Flying Pokemon."

"Speak for yourself," Aurora answered. "Scar, go deal with him, would you please?"

"Spearow!" he squawked. He took to the air and made a dive at the Murkrow. However, just as he was about to hit the black bird, it seemed to melt into the shadows and vanish. It reappeared a few feet away, making raucous squawks that sounded like laughter.

"How'd he do that?" asked Aurora in consternation.

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

"I wasn't asking you!" she snapped back.

"I'll bet it was a Faint Attack," said Laine thoughtfully. "I always wanted to see that. Wish I had a video camera. He must be pretty high-level to pull that one off."

"Maybe so," Aurora admitted. "So, do you think fighting him is out, then?"

"Prob'ly so," Laine replied. "You can kiss your necklace goodbye, that's for sure."

"I don't think so," said Aurora. "Let me try something first."

She flipped on her PokeGear and sorted through the stored items until she found her still- unopened Flying Pokemon care kit that she'd bought in Goldenrod City. She withdrew it and began opening it up, tearing off the cellophane wrapping. The Murkrow hopped around on his branch, eyes bright with interest.

"What are you gonna do with that?" Laine asked. "Offer him a manicure?"

"No, something better," Aurora replied. She held up the shiny plastic wrapping and waved it around, letting it flash in the sunlight. "Hey, Murkrow, look what I've got!"

The Murkrow looked, and for once, he didn't have any insulting remarks. He hopped over to another branch to get a closer look.

"Isn't this pretty?" asked Aurora in her most enticing tones. "I'll let you have it if you'll give me my necklace back."

"Murkrow!" it squawked, and made a dive for the plastic wrap. Aurora quickly pulled it out of the way. The Murkrow vociferously protested.

"That's not fair," Aurora chided him. "You don't get this until I get my amulet."

The Murkrow considered. Then he hopped over until he was just out of arm's reach and set the amulet down on the ground. He hopped backwards again until it was clear he couldn't easily take it back.

"That's more like it," said Aurora. She got up, picked up the amulet, and set the cellophane down in its place. She backed away again, and the Murkrow hopped over to take the plastic. As soon as it saw that she wasn't going to take it away, it gave a crow of victory and snatched the gift up, fluttering noisily away to hide it somewhere.

"And that takes care of that," Aurora said with satisfaction.

"Clever," said Laine. "Clever on your part, anyway. The Murkrow's pretty stupid to trade somethin' valuable like that amulet for a piece of trash, but-"

"Get lost!" shouted a voice over their heads.

Aurora giggled. "I think we know his opinion on that!"

"Well, at least you got rid of him. That's somethin'." Laine muttered.

However, that proved not to be the case. The girls cleaned up camp and stowed all their belongings away in the storage system, setting out again towards Ecruteak. It was good traveling weather, bright and sunny, with the air cooling comfortably as they drew closer to the more mountainous regions. There were also lots of trees, through which Scar made periodic explorations in search of edibles and interesting Pokemon; once he startled an Aipom that ran away chattering. However, as time passed, both he and his trainer became aware of a feeling of being watched, and he squawked his concerns to her.

"You're right; I think there is something out there," Aurora replied. "Laine, let me borrow your binoculars a minute. I want to look around."

"It's prob'ly just some Pokemon somewhere," said Laine. She began going through her things for the field glasses.

"Maybe," Aurora replied, "but maybe not. If there's something out there, I want to know about it ahead of time, before it tries to jump out and grab me. What if it's a Rocket, or a ghost?"

"Or a Zubat," Laine muttered.

"That's not funny," Aurora complained.

"That's just as likely as a ghost," said Laine. "Neither one comes out in the daytime."

"Well, I'm going to look anyway," answered Aurora, undeterred as usual. She accepted Laine's binoculars and began making a thorough search of the nearby area. It wasn't long before she picked out something that looked like it didn't belong: an oddly shaped shadow that was skulking along through the branches.

"Is he still here?" she complained.

"Who?" asked Laine.

"That Murkrow! He's following us!"

"Why would he wanna do that?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?" answered the Murkrow, swooping down out of the tree to land in front of them. It strutted around, fanning its tailfeathers proudly and eyeing Aurora and Laine's Badges with interest. Scar made a hissing noise and glared at the interloper, clicking his beak menacingly. The Murkrow appeared unimpressed.

"What are you following us for?" Aurora demanded. "Come on, answer me! I know you can."

"Get lost!"

"This is gettin' monotonous," said Laine. "Maybe he thinks if he annoys us enough, he'll get more presents from you. If I were a Murkrow, that's what I'd do."

"Well, he's not getting anything from me until he learns some more polite language," Aurora replied. "I'm not having anything to do with a Pokemon whose entire conversation consists of insults."

The black bird tilted its head and tried to look soulful. "Murkrow?"

"Yes, well, now you're apologetic," said Aurora. "How long is that going to last, though?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

Aurora sighed. "Oh, forget it! I have better things to do than trade insults with a Murkrow! Go on, shoo! Go pester somebody else."

"Murkrow?"

"I don't know! Find someone!" Aurora answered.

"Murk, murk, murkrow?"

"Huh? What do you mean, like him?"

Aurora turned in the direction the Murkrow was looking and was surprised to see someone standing there. For a moment, she was startled - the newcomer was wearing the distinctive red "R" on his jacket that marked him as a Rocket. However, she realized this was one Rocket she knew, and she relaxed a bit.

"Ember! You sneaked up on me! What are you doing here?" she asked.

"Well, I did tell you I'd meet you in Ecruteak," he answered coolly. "However, the situation being what it is, I thought it more appropriate to meet you outside the city limits. Things have been a bit hectic there, in case you haven't heard."

"Yes, I've heard. Falkner told me about it."

"He did? How does he know what's going on in Ecruteak?" asked Ember, surprised.

Aurora shrugged. "He told me he's had a flock of Pidgeys keeping an eye on things; I suppose they told him."

"Pidgeys," Ember repeated thoughtfully. "Well, there's an idea. Why couldn't she use Pidgeys? They're on every tree and bush in Johto; nobody would have noticed if she sent out twelve dozen of them."

"She?" Aurora demanded. "She, who?"

"None of your business," answered Ember loftily. "Or... perhaps not, but it's trouble you got yourself into; you can very well get out of it without my help."

"I wouldn't expect your help with anything," said Aurora. "So, how long have you been in Ecruteak?"

"Since last night. I didn't stay very long in Goldenrod," he answered. "Just long enough to pick up a small souvenir."

He pulled back the corner of his jacket, just enough to give them a glimpse of three metallic shimmers that were quickly covered up again.

"Can't be too visible," he said offhandedly. "Rockets taking on Gym Leaders is considered something of a breach of etiquette all around. I mean to change that, once Uncle Giovanni retires and leaves me in charge."

"So, why the Rocket getup?" asked Laine. "Are you behind the trouble in Ecruteak?"

"There was trouble in Ecruteak long before I got there," Ember replied. "This is camouflage. The way things stand right now, a Rocket is less likely to be bothered than an honest trainer. I don't know what kept you in Goldenrod so long, but you should have let it keep you a little longer. It's going to take some time for things to get cleared up... What were you doing, anyway? Even with a bad knee I still made better time than you."

"We went to see Bill," said Laine, sounding a bit smug. "He gave us a couple of rare Pokemon. How do ya like that, huh?"

"Rare Pokemon, eh?" answered Ember thoughtfully. "More than one, if I'm any judge. Where did you find the Murkrow?"

"What, him?" asked Aurora, mildly startled. "He's not mine. He just showed up and won't leave me alone."

"Get lost!"

"Same to you!" she shouted over her shoulder.

"I see," said Ember, taking on a speculative look. "Well, Murkrow, what would you say if I asked you to tell me who your previous trainer was?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

"I thought so," said Ember. "I knew you looked familiar. You probably don't remember me, do you?"

The bird assumed a crafty expression; Aurora had never imagined a bird could wear a wicked grin, but this one did.

"Hail Giovanni!" it said.

Ember blushed. "Oh, shut up!"

"You know this yutz?" asked Laine, looking at him suspiciously.

"Something like that," Ember replied. "He belonged to one of my uncle's executives. I'd remember old Blabberbeak anywhere. He grew up in bad company, and it seems to have rubbed off on him."

The Murkrow made a rude noise and flirted his tailfeathers impudently.

"Used to belong?" Aurora repeated. "What happened to his trainer?"

Ember shrugged. "Lance decided he'd overstepped himself and locked him up. It happens occasionally; that's the arrangement Team Rocket has with the Elite Four."

"I know that," said Aurora. "Falkner told me; he said they never tried to rout Giovanni entirely as long as your Rockets never get too out of hand."

"Falkner knows too much," Ember muttered. "I'm going to have to look into that. Anyway, back when we made our last big play here in Johto, this fellow had the extraordinary ill-judgement to let our password get out so Lance and his little helper could break up our operations in Mahogany Town. None of us would have him around after that, so we turned him out." Ember sighed. "A pity. That was such a good plan."

"So this is just living proof that Rockets really do just abandon Pokemon they don't want anymore," Aurora muttered.

"What? Would you have actually kept him around?" asked Ember. "He's a security hazard... and an annoyance. Nobody would want a Pokemon like that."

"Well, I wouldn't just turn him out," said Aurora. "And here I thought you were the kind of trainer who cared about your Pokemon. I guess I was wrong about you."

"Do you blame me for wanting to keep Pokemon that are strong?" he asked. "Or do you expect me to be like you and run a shelter for strays and rejects? Admit it; you don't have a single Pokemon in your roster that's not there because it couldn't take care of itself!"

Scar growled at that remark, his feathers bristling.

"You take that back!" Aurora shouted. "You know it's not true; take it back before I make you eat your words!"

"Are you challenging me to a battle?" he asked. "This should be fun. I've got something to show you, anyway."

"I can take anything you can dish out, and so can my partners."

"Very well, then! Let's begin! Seadra, go!"

Aurora made a quick decision, reaching for a Pokeball. "Moondancer, I choose you!"

The two Pokemon materialized, glaring at each other. Ember laughed.

"Moondancer?" he asked incredulously. "Where did you get a name like that? You really are an incorrigible romantic."

Moondancer shot a glare at him through her ruby-red eyes. Quick as a flash, she kicked up a Sand-attack, leaving Seadra blinded by dust. It fired off an attack and missed, and Moondancer rushed in and bit its opponent fiercely. Seadra tried in vain to defend itself, but the unseen enemy was too fast and clever for it, and it went down.

"Seadra, return!" Ember called. "Aerodactyl, you're up!"

The stone beast flew into the air, screeching it's battle cry.

"I thought you said you couldn't control that thing!" Aurora wailed.

"I can now that I have some Badges! Come on, counterattack!"

"Well, you asked for it! Rusty, take him out!"

The steel Pokemon appeared in a blaze of light, feathers flashing in the sunlight. He flew straight up and hit his opponent with a crash of wings, and the two went into a wild aerial fight, with their trainers below shouting encouragement. Aurora was starting to feel smug; this Aerodactyl was clearly strong, but Ember hadn't been seriously training it long enough for it to really know what to do with itself; it answered to his commands, but it was uncoordinated and uncertain. That coupled with Skarmory's type advantage was enough to take him out of the sky, and Laine actually had to jump out of the way as it thudded into the middle of the clearing. Blabberbeak the Murkrow squawked his objection to the situation. Aurora looked to see how Ember was taking it; he was retrieving his Aerodactyl with a calm that was suspicious.

"I was almost hoping you'd do that," he said.

"Really? Why?"

"So I could show you my surprise."

"Surprise?" Aurora repeated, remembering at the same time that he hadn't shown his Charmeleon yet and getting a sneaking feeling she knew what was going on...

Ember took out his third Pokeball and launched it. There was a flash of orange light - lots of orange light that steadily increase into a huge orange shape, until Aurora found herself staring up at a huge dragonlike beast with billowing wings and a flaming tail. She gawped.

"Evolution in action," said Ember proudly. "Say hello to my Charizard!"

"Umm..." she said. Suddenly her brain was frozen; she couldn't think of anything to do while this immense fire breathing beast was looking down at her with cold calculation in its eyes. Scar and Moondancer looked pathetically tiny next to it, and Rusty was weak against Fire attacks. She was paralyzed, unable to think of anything except the fact that she was about to be spectacularly beaten, and there was nothing she could do about it at all...

A splash of water came out of nowhere at all, and Charizard roared as it was drenched from top to bottom, its tail steaming with an angry hiss. Everyone yelped as the cold wave hit them. Aurora, spluttering and wiping water out of her eyes, looked up and managed to see a man in a black suit standing next to a wicked-looking Kabutops.

"There she is!" somebody shouted. "Get her!"

There was a rush of footsteps, but Aurora didn't wait around to see whose they were. Her instinct was to get out of the way, and she did so, ducking as Scar sensed battle and flew into action. There were several curses and at least one shriek as he lashed out with beak and claws against the people who would attack his trainer. It wasn't until she'd reached a reasonably safe shadowed place among the trees that she turned around to see what was going on. Five assorted Rockets sporting black jackets and snarls were blundering around in the clearing, dodging Scar's rapid strikes, while their Pokemon watched in puzzlement. Besides the Kabutops, she could see a Gloom, a Houndour, a Hypno, and a Graveler. Ember was standing there watching them, looking annoyed, while his Charizard did much the same.

"Where did she go?" one of the grunts shouted. "Track her down! Find her!"

"Oh, no you don't," Aurora muttered. "Laine, where are you?"

"Right here," said a voice in her ear, making her jump.

"Laine! Don't do that!"

"Sorry," she said. "I have better sense than to hang around when Rockets show up, but I didn't think you were the kind to cut out. What are ya doin' over here?"

"Regrouping," she said, eyeing the forces arrayed against her. "If they're looking for us, well, they'd better just be careful what they wish for."

"You want to fight them?" said Laine. "Good. I'da been worried if you didn't. Whatcha got in mind?"

Meanwhile, Ember was glaring at his men with fire in his eyes.

"What in the name of Lugia are you doing here?" he demanded. "You could have seriously injured my Charizard! When my uncle hears about this-"

"Sorry, kid," the leading grunt said. "We've got our orders. Nothing we can do about it."

"Orders? What kind of orders? This has nothing to do with our plans! Explain yourselves."

"It's okay, Ember," said Aurora, coming back into view again. "I can take care of this."

Catching sight of his partner, Scar gave a squawk and fluttered back over to her side. He seemed to sense that she had the situation under control again, and was tired of trying to deal with five angry Pokemon at once; some of his feathers were scorched from an encounter with the Houndoom.

"There you are!" the grunt growled. "Surrender to Team Rocket, girl, or prepare to pay the price!"

"I don't think so," she answered. "Rusty, Moondancer, back in action!"

Laine produced a pair of PokeBalls. "Nova, Sunset, Slowpoke, front and center!"

The Rockets jumped back, looking suddenly leery as they surveyed the small force that had assembled against them.

"Oh, so you want to fight back?" growled the man in front, who appeared to be a leader of sorts. "Little unevolved Pokemon won't help you here, girls."

I'm a little unevolved Pokemon, am I? Aurora heard Rusty say. Silver-hair, may I hurt these people?

"Go for it," Aurora answered. "Take them out, guys!"

The Pokemon charged in a small wave of leaping and fluttering creatures, and the fight was on. The Kabutops tried vainly to attack the nimble Nova, who dodged neatly out of the way without so much as getting a drop on him, counterattacking with his karate chops and kicks. Moondancer moved around the field in a blur that was all but invisible, striking quickly and then vanishing again in a cloud of dust. It didn't take long for her to figure out that the Hypno was sensitive to her attacks, and she harried it mercilessly. Rusty aimed for the most powerful in the bunch, the Graveler, battering its rocky hide with his steel wings and beak. The Gloom was in double difficulties, being stunned by Sunset's psychic attacks while simultaneously being pecked by an angry Spearow. Even Laine's Slowpoke was getting into the action, making the Houndour yelp in pain with its endless jets of water. Through the melee, Aurora was surprised to see Blabberbeak joining the fray, getting in attacks wherever he thought no one was paying attention. He seemed to be of the same mind as Rusty where the welfare of Rockets was concerned; both of them were harrying the people in black as much as they were the rival Pokemon. In the end, the Rockets were just barely able to get their own partners to safety before they were all herded together and bowled over by a sweep of the Skarmory's wings. They cringed on the ground as the giant bird looked speculatively at them.

How much punishing do they deserve? he inquired.

"Don't hurt them too much," said Aurora. "Just enough so they'll know better next time."

"Don't hurt them at all," Ember countermanded. "Get that Skarmory away! These are my men, and I'll handle them."

"If you wanted to handle them, why didn't you help us?" asked Aurora. "I saw you; you were just standing on the sidelines doing nothing."

"Don't be an idiot," Ember snapped. "Whose side do you think I'm on?"

"You tell her, Boss!" said one of the Rockets.

"Shut up," Ember snapped. "I want an explanation, and it had better be a good one. What are you doing out here?"

"Sorry, Boss," said a different grunt. "We didn't know you was here. We just had our orders, you know, and we had to follow them."

"Orders?" Ember repeated. "What orders? From whom?"

"From the top," a woman Rocket said. "Right from the top. We have the mark to show it." Looking nervously at the Skarmory, she reached into a pocket and took out something black and shiny, offering it to Ember for inspection. Save for the color, it was a perfect replica of the Earthbadge.

"So," he said, "it's come to this. I guessed as much. Did he send you looking for the girl?"

She nodded. "He said we had to capture her and bring her back alive."

"I'm guessing this wasn't all my uncle's idea, either?"

"No, he said this was a favor to-" one of the grunts began, and was silenced as Ember kicked him.

"Not in front of the girl," he snapped. "I can guess. It was her, wasn't it?"

The grunts nodded. Ember sighed.

"As I guessed," he said. "Well, you can go back and tell both of them that I have the situation under control. Tell them you were beaten by a couple of little girls and their foundling Pokemon. Tell them now."

There was a scramble as the Rockets rushed to take themselves elsewhere. Rusty looked disappointed. The girls called their partners back to their customary places, and Ember collected his disgruntled Charizard.

"I suppose we can call this battle a draw," he said. "It wouldn't be sporting to ask you to go back to fighting after that. We know who's going to win next time, though."

"You're trying to change the subject, and I haven't even gotten to it yet," Aurora accused.

"Do I look like I want to answer your questions?" Ember replied.

"You're going to have to," Aurora answered. "What was that all about? You know something you're not telling."

"Very astute," said Ember dryly.

"Well, come on already," she said. "Spill!"

Ember gave a laugh. "You think a lot of yourself, Winter-Hair, if you think you can just order me around like that. I'm Giovanni's heir, one of the most powerful people in the world."

"There are obviously two people more powerful than you, going by what those Rockets said."

"True," said Ember thoughtfully, "though sometimes I do wonder... I believe Uncle is slipping, if he's willing to waste his time on one little girl, just for the sake of..."

"Of what?" Aurora insisted. "What does he want me for? Just because I helped break up the thing in Ilex Forest?"

"No, I don't think so."

"Then what?"

"I can't tell you," said Ember impatiently. "Even if I wasn't bound to secrecy, I wouldn't tell you."

"Why?" she demanded. "Having to much fun playing mysterious bad guy?"

"No," Ember snapped. "Look, you just don't want to know, all right? Just - just listen to your friend Falkner and stay out of Team Rocket's way before you put yourself in danger. If you're smart, you'll just give this whole thing up now and go home."

"What? Don't you think I can handle it?" Aurora demanded. "Well, I've got news for you! I'm up to anything anyone can dish out!"

"Even Clair?"

"Even Clair! I'll become the greatest trainer on the continent! You'll see."

"I'd rather you didn't," he answered. "It's for your own good. You'll be happier if you just stop right here. Three Badges is enough to show you're talented. Go home."

"No way," she said flatly. "Whatever happened to being rivals? Have you given up on me?"

"Maybe I think there are more important things than a childish rivalry," answered Ember.

Before Aurora could say anything else, he turned and ran off, making good time into the darkness of the forest. She stared.

"What was that all about?" she wondered.

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

Aurora turned to look at the Murkrow. "I certainly would."

"Your boyfriend's a little crazy, if ya ask me," said Laine. "Maybe you need to go find a new one."

"I wonder what Team Rocket wants with me?" Aurora wondered. "I'm nothing special... Well, there was that thing in Ilex, but he said it wasn't that... what else have I done?"

"Who knows why Rockets want what they want?" asked Laine. "That bunch has more nuts in it than a granola bar factory."

"You always talk about them like they aren't even human," Aurora accused. "Ember isn't that crazy. I think he's really trying to protect me... but I can take care of myself. Come on, let's get moving. Town can't be too much further ahead."

"I have a bad feeling about this," said Laine. She eyed the Murkrow warily. "People say that if a Murkrow shows up, somebody's gonna die soon."

"Superstition," scoffed Aurora... but when she walked into town, she walked quietly.

~*~

Ecruteak should have been a pretty town. It was attractive, in its way, but the fact that there wasn't a living thing in sight made its old-fashioned architecture look like the ruins of some long-lost empire instead of a thriving town. The girls stood at the front gates and stared.

"Are you sure we shouldn't come back later?" asked Laine.

"Can't," Aurora sighed. "We don't have any more food, and it's lunchtime."

"Yeah, you're right," Laine agreed. She looked around forlornly. "Do you think anyone around here even has any food?"

"I guess we'll have to look," said Aurora. She didn't sound that thrilled about it.

"I think you'd be better off coming with me," said a voice nearby.

Aurora shrieked, Laine yelped, and Scar gave a loud squawk. Standing a few feet away, partially camouflaged by his dark garb against the forest shadows, was a young man. He had a stern, serious expression and hair paler than Auroras. There was an aura of power around him that made just looking at him a spine-tingling experience.

"Don't do that!" he scolded, looking alarmed. "Keep it down! Now is not the time to be making noise."

"Sorry. You startled us," said Aurora. "Who are you?"

"My name is Morty; I'm the Gym Leader here in this town," he said. "My old schoolmate Falkner told me he had a stubborn young protege who might turn up in town and told me to keep an eye out for you. My Ghosts may not be as effective spies as Falkner's birds are, but they can warn me when someone is looking for me."

"Falkner told you to watch for me?" asked Aurora, a bit startled. "But - but you're a senior Gym Leader!"

"Superficially," said Morty. "I'd prefer not to talk about it here. Would you like to join me for lunch? It won't be much, but it's the best you're likely to get, at the moment."

"We accept," Aurora answered quickly, before anyone could complain. Laine shot her a dark look.

"Excellent," said Morty. "You'll be safer with me than anywhere else in this town. Come."

As he began leading them through the streets, Laine whispered to Aurora, "I hope ya know what you're doin'."

"What are you worried about?" Aurora answered. "This is one of Falkner's friends. He's a Gym Leader. He can't be that bad."

"You just have his word that any of that stuff is true," said Laine.

"How did he know we were coming if he didn't hear it from Falkner?" asked Aurora.

"Ember coulda told him. He knew you were comin'."

"Ember told me not to come here. Why would he set a trap for me and then tell me not to fall into it?"

"Then someone else set it. Get a clue - they're out to get you, girl, and if you don' wise up soon, they will."

"Then we're safer following a Gym Leader, aren't we?"

"We don' know he's a Leader, though. He could be in disguise."

"I am a Gym Leader," said Morty casually, "and it doesn't do much good trying to talk about me behind my back. Especially not with the way things are lately. You can never be sure just who is listening."

Even as he spoke, there was a ripple in the air, and three hazy shapes appeared, hovering around their heads, occasionally darting away and then swooping back to whisper in the Gym Leader's ear. Laine looked impressed.

"Ghosts!" she exclaimed. "Can I look at them?"

"You'll see all you want, once we get where we're going," Morty replied.

Nearing the center of town, they came to what looked like a large wooden building, something like a haunted house from a movie - Aurora would have thought it had been abandoned if it weren't for the fact that it was surrounded by what seemed to be a well-cared for ornate metal fence, worked with designs of various Ghost Pokemon and the Fog Badge.

"You live here?" asked Laine incredulously, picking her way through the weed-filled front yard.

"It's mostly for effect," said Morty. "It's better inside. Come."

He led the girls into a dark and dreary entrance hall, lit dimly by candles in sconces. The rippling-air effects were thick in here, as ghosts swooped and glided through the walls and circled the newcomers like curious, semitransparent dogs. Aurora got a glimpse into what looked like it might be the actual Gym, a dismaying looking room that didn't appear to have a floor, as far as she could tell. Looking away from that unnerving sight, she found herself being led up a rickety staircase, complete with creaky stairs and eerie staring portraits. At the top of the stairs there was a trapdoor, which Morty pushed out of the way.

Sunshine beamed down. Everyone clambered through the trapdoor and into a brightly-lit room, mostly white, with only a few bits of simple, graceful furniture to fill the airy space. The walls were decorated by gentle watercolor paintings of natural scenes. There was a faint scent of incense. The only similarity to this place and the and the rooms downstairs was that the ghosts were still milling around, though not quite so thickly.

"Ignore the Pokemon," said Morty, ushering the girls to a low table and indicating that they should sit. "They don't normally come up here, but they've been restless lately."

"Because of the Rockets?" asked Aurora.

"That's what we believe, yes," Morty said. He pushed aside a folding door and wandered into the kitchen, where he started rattling around dishes. "They've been trespassing in places they don't belong. It's making the spirits uncomfortable. Well, imagine how you'd feel if a few dozen Rockets showed up at your house uninvited!"

Aurora looked at the ghosts as best she could in the bright sunlight. She had never really imagined that a ghost could look nervous, but these certainly did. They cringed away from the streaming sunlight, hovering nervously wherever they could find a stray shadow. It was clear they didn't like it here, and equally clear they were too afraid to leave. Scar hopped around looking at them, trying to figure out the nature of these strange shimmery things, until Aurora ordered him to leave them alone.

After a few moments, Morty reappeared, carrying a tray with a few mismatched plates and cups, containing three bowls of soup and some sandwiches.

"Sorry nothing matches," he said. "I don't often entertain guests."

"Just friends of friends," said Aurora, taking one of the sandwiches and giving it to Scar.

"You keep your Pokemon outside his Pokeball," Morty commented. "I find that intriguing. Maybe you've noticed I tend to do the same thing."

This was said with a faint smile and a slight laugh - understandable considering that the minute he'd seated himself, a Haunter had come out of nowhere to settle in his lap, and another was perching on his shoulders.

"Scar doesn't like Pokeballs," Aurora told him. "He was abused by his first trainer, and now he doesn't like being shut in. I know he won't leave me, so I just let him come and go as he pleases."

"I see," said Morty, nodding his approval. "I like that. I can see why you made such a good impression on my old friend Falkner... And what about you? Where do you fit into this equation?"

This last comment was addressed to Laine, who was ignoring both the conversation and the food. Instead, she was holding a large magnifying glass, trying to get a better look at a Gastly, that was apparently as curious about her as she was about it.

"Hm?" she said vaguely.

"Laine's a researcher," Aurora explained. "Her dad was, too. Maybe you've heard of him - Marcus Harvester."

"Hm," said Morty, looking thoughtful. "The name rings a bell. I admit I wasn't one of his personal friends, but I respect his work... though my own personal opinion is that he didn't give Ghost Pokemon quite the respect they deserve. Then again, few people do. And his daughter seems different. I think that one likes you, Miss Laine."

"Really?" she asked, looking surprised. She'd been involved with waving her hand back and forth through the misty Pokemon, intrigued at how it seemed to phase straight through it.

"That's what he says. Of course, they're inclined to be clingy lately. He'd probably welcome being put in a Pokeball just to get away from all the activity."

"You mean I can keep it?" she asked. "But I thought it was yours!"

"Not all of these are mine," said Morty. "They've just been congregating here because they're afraid. He'd probably welcome having a trainer to protect him."

"Great. Just what I need - a spooked spook," said Laine. "But... aw, what the heck. C'mere, Spook!"

She took out a Pokeball and opened it, watching with satisfaction as the 'mon all but dove for safety. She snapped it shut and clipped it to her belt.

"What about you, Rora?" she asked. "Doncha want a ghost of your own?"

"If its all the same to you, I think I'll pass," said Aurora, watching a bit nervously as a Misdreavus hovered straight through her and disappeared under the table.

"Not everyone can be comfortable around the spirits," said Morty in a tone of resignation. "Ah, well. I suppose someone has to look after the other Pokemon, and Falkner does tell me you seem to have an affinity of your own."

"I'm starting to agree with Ember," Aurora muttered. "How come Falkner told you so much?"

"Well, it all has to do with how things work in this world," said Morty. "It has to do with how the game got started. Did it ever occur to you that it was strange for an entire civilization to be based on a game?"

"No, not really..." Aurora answered. "That's just the way it's always been, hasn't it?"

"For quite some time, yes," answered Morty. "But not always. It took time for humanity to learn to befriend the Pokemon. Before that, they were always embattled with each other, each fearing that the other would come and attack it. That was when the affinities began to emerge. Some people learned that they could communicate with the Pokemon, and realized that they were not the animals we used to believe they were, but living things with emotions and intelligence similar to our own. People began collecting Pokemon and helping them develop their skills, understanding the type differences and the way they attack. It was only natural that some would start comparing their partners with another's, and competition would begin. That was how the game got its start, and there was a time when winning meant everything. Your life might depend on how well you could train your Pokemon to protect you from wild ones. Naturally, the people who were best at the game became leaders, and anyone else who wanted to be a leader would challenge them..."

"Gym Leaders," said Aurora. "Those were the first Gym Leaders."

"Right," Morty answered, nodding. "Do you see where I'm going with this?"

She shook her head. "Not a clue."

"What I'm saying," he told her, fixing her with a stern glare, "is that this isn't a game. Who do you think is in charge of the world? We aren't just here as the bosses of some great galactic video game. We're here to preserve the law and order of this world. We all do our part in watching what goes on around us and preventing trouble. Falkner may be at the bottom of the ladder as far as fighting order goes, but he's one of our most important members. He doesn't like me to call him this, but I think of him as a kind of spymaster. Not much goes on that his flocks don't see... but when there are places they can't go or won't go, I have my own ways of finding out things. Between the two of us, we've got a spy network that would put Team Rocket to shame. One reason why they've never gotten too far out of control."

"Why are you telling me all this?" asked Aurora. "Isn't this supposed to be sort of, you know, secret?"

Morty gave her an opaque smile. "I was under the impression you wanted to join our order. I thought you should know what you were getting yourself into. You did want to become a Gym Leader yourself someday, didn't you?"

"Yeah..." she said thoughtfully. After a pause, she said, "Who do you think the greatest Gym Leader is?"

"Lance, of course," said Morty. "He is a very good leader, in all senses of the word. But if you're talking about the local leaders, that is a difficult question... Jasmine would probably be my personal choice. Your friend Falkner gets high marks, of course, but Jasmine outweighs him in the power department. Though really, the one trait a trainer needs to have is a desire to be of use to others. If a trainer is working only for their own good, they're worse than worthless. They become a liability. I'm in favor of weeding out liabilities in our midst, but there are others who are too willing to grant second chances..."

"What do you mean?" asked Aurora.

"I've been getting bad vibrations lately," Morty replied. "Nothing I can put my finger on, but I'm almost convinced one of our number has turned on us. There's no solid evidence, though, so until I can get some, everyone's considered innocent until proven guilty. I'm worried. There has to be something going wrong somewhere, or the Rockets wouldn't be so confident... Would you like to help?"

"Huh?" said Aurora, surprised. Even Laine took her attention away from the ghosts long enough to listen.

"Ever since I heard about you, I've been considering an idea," said Morty. "You have a friend in the Rockets. That puts you in a position to be useful to me. I have a deal to make with you - find out for me what the Rockets are doing and who's covering up for them, and I'll give you the Fog Badge."

Aurora looked dismayed. "That's not how it's supposed to work."

"Badges are simply to prove your skill as a trainer," said Morty. "If you can get into a Rocket base, learn something from them, and get out, I don't think anyone will argue that you are a talented trainer indeed."

"We've already done that," said Laine. "In Ilex Forest."

"That was an accident," Morty replied. "That's also irrelevant. This is my deal - go to the local Rocket hideout and find out what you can, and I'll reward you with a Badge. Otherwise, I'll have to do things the old-fashioned way. Do you really want to have to fight me?"

He smiled cooly, and the eyes of his ghosts glittered. Aurora felt a chill.

"All right," she said. "Where are they?"

"The Burnt Tower," Morty answered. "Not a place where most people are allowed to be. It's been sealed up for years - it's unsafe - but sometimes people sneak in anyway. There's a rumor that people who spend the night there will have dreams of the future. There's a high concentration of spirit energy there."

"So them bein' there is what's stirrin' up all the ghosts?" asked Laine.

"I deem it likely," Morty answered. "You'd be doing the city a service if you broke them up."

"Hmm," said Aurora, thinking hard. "And all I've got to do is go in and look, and I get the Badge?"

"That's right."

"In that case," she answered, "I refuse."

"What?" said Laine, staring.

Morty gave her a thoughtful look. "Oh, really? Why not?"

"Because if you really wanted to see what they were doing, you'd go look yourself, instead of sending a little girl to do it," she answered. "Anyway, it wouldn't be honorable. You get Gym Badges by fighting, not by spying on people. I'll get my Badges by winning, thanks."

Much to her surprise, Morty began to laugh, a long, happy laugh that didn't seem to fit the situation at all.

"Well spoken!" he said. "Very well spoken indeed. I'm most pleased. For a minute there, I was starting to worry you might accept."

"Huh?" said Aurora. "But I thought..."

"You thought I was serious? You were supposed to; it wouldn't have been a test otherwise," Morty replied. "You'll have to forgive me, but I can't be as trusting as your friend Falkner is. He's a bit of an idealist. Me, I specialize in the dark side of things. I am careful. I remember other would-be Gym Leaders, great trainers as far as the game went, but no sense of sportsmanship at all. Falkner told me you were all right, but I wanted to be sure."

"Well, are you convinced now?" asked Aurora. "Because if you are, I want to go ahead and get this battle over with."

"It is over," said Morty, smiling.

"But... but we didn't..."

"A battle of wills," he said. "I thought you deserved something more than the usual test. Anyone can win a battle, but after all..." He trailed his fingers across the ghost that rested in his lap, "I am supposed to provide a test of the spirit."

"I don't quite understand," said Aurora. "I thought we were going to fight."

"We did. Just not in the usual sense," Morty answered. "You want to be one of us. To do that, you need to be more than just a skilled trainer. You need to be honest and trustworthy. You need a sense of honor and sportsmanship. Even the lowest Rocket can control his Pokemon, but it takes a special kind of trainer to control himself. If you weren't that kind of trainer, I didn't want to see you go any further than this. Do you understand?"

"I think so," she replied. "But I passed, right?"

"You did quite well," said Morty. "And I think you would have been disappointed if you went to the tower, anyway. The Rockets cleared out not long ago. They didn't like it there - claimed the place gave them bad dreams. I'm not surprised. There's an old legend that people who spend the night have true dreams, visions of the past and future. I don't think they would have found visions of their future very encouraging."

"So... there's really not a problem?" asked Aurora.

"Oh, the ghosts are still restless, there's no question of that," Morty replied. "Rockets always bring an aura of anger and pain wherever they go, and it will take a day or two before the bad vibrations clear up. But other than that, no, things shouldn't be too dangerous around here anymore... Hm? What's your problem?"

This last remark was addressed to a large Gengar with ruby eyes who was busy trying to get his trainer's attention. Morty listened to whatever it was saying with a look of interest - to Aurora, he looked like a Meowth who had just spotted a slow-moving Ratata.

"Well, this is interesting," he said. "Perhaps the Rockets aren't as gone as all that."

"What do you mean?" asked Aurora.

"According to my little friends here," Morty replied, "We have a most distinguished visitor. It seems Giovanni himself has decided to pay us a visit. This is too good an opportunity to pass up. Would you like to meet him?"

The girls look at each other, surprised. Then Laine shrugged.

"Sure. Why not?"

~*~

The Burnt Tower didn't look like a place of legends. It looked like a wreck, little more than burned and dilapidated beams and broken stones, the whole of it overgrown with weeds and surrounded by ominous-looking warning signs. Ember ignored the warnings, climbing over a fence and threading his way inside, pushing past a few loose boards and crawling into the structure itself. It was dark and dusty inside, with a scent of mold and soot that made his nose itch. He waited long enough for his vision to adjust before moving onward. The floorboards had long ago rotted away, leaving gaping holes and threatening sags that he avoided, walking carefully near the wall where the footing was best.

"There's got to be a better way," he muttered, brushing cobwebs away from his face. "How do they get in? Not from here, that's for certain. There's got to be another entrance somewhere... Oh, well. I'll find it once I find them. It's so quiet. Where is everyone?"

"Downstairs, naturally," said a voice. "Or at least, they were."

Ember jumped. "Who said that?"

"You have a very short memory, nephew," said Giovanni, stepping out of a shadowed corner. "I'm glad to see you at least have not forgotten how to seek out your own kind. I was hoping you would turn up here eventually."

"Uncle," said Ember. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in hiding somewhere? Or maybe hanging around Blackthorn hoping Clair will notice you?"

"That's no way to speak to your family, Ember," Giovanni replied. "You are learning bad habits. I see I was right to worry about you - obviously you are not yet ready to strike out on your own."

"I've been doing just fine on my own, thank you," answered Ember curtly.

"Really? What on Earth have you been doing all this time?"

"Challenging Gyms. I've got three Badges already, and I'll be pocketing the fourth soon, if no more distractions show up."

"Yes, I've been meaning to talk to you about these distractions," Giovanni replied. "Especially that girl you've been following around. You are the future leader of Team Rocket - it is beneath your dignity to be socializing with trainers."

"Look who's talking. You're the one who went to Clair looking to make deals. What makes you so special?"

"That is an entirely different situation," he said. "That is a business proposition. You have abandoned all your duties to wander around the countryside acting as if you were a trainer yourself, collecting Badges like a schoolboy."

"You collected Badges," said Ember.

"Because there was nothing else at the time. I've given you a better way, and you've rejected it."

"You didn't give me a better way," Ember snapped. "You gave me your way, whether it suited me or not. I'm going to live my life my way."

"As if you knew better than your elders. Either you drop all this foolishness and return to Blackthorn with me, or I'm sending you back to your parents. Someone else can be my heir."

"A copy," said Ember. "You don't want an heir, you want a copy. You see your reign coming to an end, so you're trying to turn me into a copy of you so the legacy will go on. You want me to be Giovanni and my child after me to be Giovanni - you just want to go on forever, don't you?"

"I want my empire to last."

"So do I," Ember replied. "I want to make it something better than it is. If you give me that power, I'll use it, but I'll do things my own way."

"You are starting to think too much of yourself, I believe," said Giovanni. "This needs to be remedied. You are coming with me. Now."

"Actually," said a new voice, "I think it might be fun if you both hung around for a while."

Ember and Giovanni turned to look. Standing nearby was Morty, surrounded by his swirling cloud of ghosts, their eyes glittering evilly in the dim light. Behind him stood Aurora, Scar, and Laine.

"You," said Giovanni, narrowing his eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"This is my territory," Morty replied. "I don't see why I should come here, especially when I know one of my old friends has come to visit. Hello, Giovanni. It's been a while, hasn't it?"

"It's been a few years, yes," he replied. "Be that as it may, it's rude of you to interrupt a private discussion."

"I'm a spy, Giovanni. I don't care about privacy," Morty answered with his crafty smile. "So, this must be the nephew I've heard so much about. Ember, is it? The name certainly suits. Hello, Ember. Good to meet you in person."

"Should I know you?" Ember asked.

"Morty. Leader of the Ecruteak Gym. Ghost Master. I hear you're interested in collecting Badges."

"That's right," Ember replied. "Provided a certain someone doesn't interfere..."

"Morty, don't you dare challenge this boy," said Giovanni. "He is mine, and I am not letting him carry on with this nonsense any longer."

"And what if I do?" Morty replied.

"Then I will be forced to put a stop to it personally."

"Do you think you can stop us?" asked Morty.

"I can take you on."

"I said us. Or did you think these young ladies are only here as spectators?"

Giovanni glared at the girls. "They are no threat."

"You seemed to think so before," Aurora replied. "Or did you just try to capture me because you were bored?"

"So, you're the one, then. I can't believe you're the one causing all this upheaval... Ember, is this silly little girl really what all this fuss is about?"

Ember shrugged. "I've seen her around a few times if that's what you mean. She's more talented than she looks. I wouldn't take her lightly if I were you."

"An' what am I, diced Snubbull food?" Laine muttered.

"Maybe I couldn't match you alone," said Morty, "but it would be a very close fight, and with these two helping... and I don't think your nephew is going to take this lying down, either. Make an issue of this, and I think you'll find yourself facing some unhappy odds."

"Why are you standing up for the boy?" Giovanni demanded. "He's none of your concern."

Morty smiled enigmatically. "Let's just say I admire his spirit."

"He's right, you know," said Ember. "I will fight you if that's what it takes."

"So will I," said Aurora. "Ember has the right to decide what he wants to do with his life... and I wouldn't mind fighting you if it will help him."

"Eh, count me in," said Laine. "Jerks like you deserve to be beaten a few times just on general principle."

Giovanni looked at all of them speculatively. Suddenly he made a lunge in Aurora's direction, looking as if he intended to take her apart with his bare hands. He was thwarted by a ball of black feathers that flung itself into his face, screeching and flapping its wings, pecking and scratching. He staggered backwards, trying to beat the creature away. The Murkrow fluttered away, landing at Aurora's feet.

"Hail Giovanni! Hail Giovanni! Haw haw haw haw!" it laughed.

Giovanni glared at the black bird, brushing feathers away from his face.

"Fine," he said. "If that's the way it's going to be, fine. I can afford to wait. Team Rocket will come out of the shadows when you least expect it, and then you will get what you deserve. You will regret the day you made a fool of me. And as for you..." He rounded on Ember. "You are out. Expelled. You are no longer part of Team Rocket. You may make your way any way you please - I wash my hands of you."

With that, he turned and stalked off. Nobody tried to stop him.

"Get lost!" Blabberbeak shouted after him.

"Doesn' look like he likes his ol' boss too much," Laine commented.

"I don't blame him," Aurora replied. "That was a brave thing you did. Thank you."

Blabberbeak stood on her foot and rubbed his head against her leg. "Aurora!"

"I think it likes you," said Morty. "That's unusual, even for someone with avian affinities. Murkrows aren't an affectionate breed."

"Get lost!" Blabberbeak responded.

"Now, see here," Aurora told him. "If you're going to follow me, you're going to learn some manners, is that understood?"

"Murk, murk, murkrow," he replied.

"Well, all right, maybe sometimes," said Aurora.

"Murkrow!"

"Okay, it's a deal," she said. "Here you go - hop in!"

She produced a Pokeball, and the Murkrow flapped inside and vanished in a burst of light. Aurora snapped the ball shut and clipped it to her belt, looking pleased with herself.

"Well, aren't you clever," said Ember. "Now that you've finished helping me lose the only family I have..."

Aurora looked up at him, blushing with embarrassment. "But I thought you wanted-"

"I did," he said, "to an extent. You just didn't have to help. It was my argument. What were you doing interfering?"

"We never intended to interfere," said Morty. "It was just too good an opportunity to pass up."

Ember sighed. "Lovely. Just what I needed - more crazy Gym Leaders messing with my life."

"Would this make you feel any better?" Morty asked. He held out a hand, offering a small shiny bit of metal.

"A Badge?" asked Ember warily. "What would that be for? We haven't battled."

"You were fighting Giovanni, weren't you? He used to be a senior Gym Leader - higher ranking than me - before things went downhill for him," Morty replied. "Besides, I think you deserve it. It took strength of will to stand up for what you believe in. My ghosts say you have pride and strength of character. You're worthy of the Badge. You're going a long way, Ember."

"Just take it," Laine advised him, when he looked wary. "Morty's just weird like that. He gave Rora a Badge without fightin', too."

"Very well," said Ember. "If you want to go around handing out free Badges, I won't complain. After all, it's a Rocket's nature to cheat... and that's what I am, no matter what Uncle Giovanni says."

"What are you going to do now?" asked Aurora. She couldn't help feeling a bit sorry for Ember; she had a notion his feelings were hurt more than he was letting on.

"I'm going to keep going," Ember replied. "Uncle's playing a dangerous game. Sooner or later, he's going to slip up. He's losing his grip, and when he does, I have to be strong so I can step in and keep order. I'm going to finish collecting the Badges so I'll be able to handle anything."

"An admirable sentiment," said Morty. "I wish good luck to all three of you... and if you want any advice, I'd tell you to stay here for the night. The spiritual vibrations are still very strong here. You may find yourself having insights you never would have had otherwise. And now I must return to my Gym. Goodbye and farewell. Perhaps I will see you again sometime."

He glided away, moving like a ghost himself, and faded into the shadows. The trainers looked at each other.

"Well?" said Laine. "Whaddaya think? Do we listen to that creepy guy? I don' know if I like the idea of spendin' the night in a haunted house."

"I'm not afraid," said Aurora. "Like I said, I don't believe in all that creepy stuff... but this place is probably pretty safe. If the other Rockets are afraid of it, they probably won't bother us down here. What about you, Ember? Are you going to stay here tonight?"

Ember shrugged. "Why not?"

~*~

It was very dark in the lowest part of the Burnt Tower, but that was where Ember insisted they'd be safest - there was less chance that the floor would cave in underneath them as they slept. It was also hard to deny that there was a presence in the place, a feeling of oldness and power that even Aurora couldn't quite deny. They set out their blankets, the girls in one corner of the room and Ember in another, and dropped one by one into deep sleeps.

At first, Aurora's dreams were confused. In them, she stood in a great hall full of people in cloaks. Many of them couldn't be seen, but she recognized some as being great trainers, even Gym Leaders. She muddled through the crowd, trying to keep from being noticed, and realized that she, too, was wearing a hooded cloak.

"There's a traitor in our midst," said Morty's voice. "There is a traitor among us. One of us can't be trusted."

Aurora looked around, trying to see who was talking, but everyone looked the same. She began to feel desperate - somewhere in all these strangers, surely there was a familiar face. Falkner! She felt certain if she could just get to Falkner, everything would be all right. Falkner was her friend, and so wise, he could surely protect her. She peered into every face, but saw nothing but shadows. She started to run, shoving through the crowd, not knowing where she was going, only becoming increasingly aware of a sense of hostility. Suddenly, a hand reached out and grabbed her, and she found herself being pulled around to stare into a pair of dark eyes. Clair was looking at her, a wild expression on her face, her red lips pulled into a maniacal grin.

"Caught you," she hissed. "You thought you would challenge me? You will never be powerful enough, ever. Even the power of legends won't save you, child. Even the power of legends."

"She caught her!" someone shouted. "She's caught the traitor!"

Aurora twisted and tried to run, and the dream world twisted along with her and spun into a new reality.

Suddenly she was in a room by herself, a wide empty hall identical to Clair's Gym except that it was made entirely of blue-white ice. Clair stood at the far end of the room, flanked by two Dragonites. There was going to be a battle, and Aurora knew she should be afraid; a small part of her remembered that she still hadn't collected all the Badges, and she wasn't nearly ready for this, but her dream self was only determined and angry. Aurora could never remember being so angry - it filled her with a cold power as fierce as the ice itself. She raised her hand and opened a Pokeball, releasing a glittering bird unlike anything she'd ever seen before. Even as she stared at it, though, its outlines shifted and began to change into something else. Aurora blinked, trying to see more clearly...

And she woke up. A glance at her Poke-Gear told her it was morning, and she cold see that her comrades were already yawning and starting to stir.

"Don't go away..." Laine murmured sleepily. She blinked and looked around. "Huh? Only a dream..."

"That," said Ember, "was entirely strange."

"I guess I'm not the only one who had weird dreams," Aurora said.

"It wasn' a dream," said Laine stubbornly. "It was... was a vision, that's what it was. I saw him, Rora. I really saw him, an' I talked to him."

"Talked to who?" asked Ember. "Winter-Hair, what is your friend going on about?"

"I think," said Aurora slowly, "she's talking about her father."

Laine nodded. "He was talkin' to me. It was the same dream again, Rora, the one where he's in the mountains and I'm there with 'im, only this time he wasn't dyin'. He asked me to walk with 'im, and we went up a trail together. There was snow everywhere - everythin' was ice and snow. Then we walked around a corner an' we were standin' on top of the mountain, and there was this nest all made outta icicles, an' there was an egg in it. It was the snow egg, Rora, the one my dad wrote about. He wanted to show it to me... When I looked at it, this beautiful bird came out. I never saw anything like it before. It was all made outta ice, just like the egg..."

"I dreamed about that!" Aurora exclaimed. "I dreamed I was fighting with Clair, and I called out a bird just like that!"

"It must be real!" Laine exclaimed. "I betcha we're gonna find that egg! You'll be able to talk to the bird, Rora. You've got the gift, right?"

"Maybe," said Aurora. "We'll never know unless we look... What about you, Ember? Did you have any dreams?"

"I did," he answered. "I dreamed I walked into an empty Gym. There was nothing in it but a Dratini, beaten and bleeding and nearly dead, but when I touched it, it was healed. Someone told me it was mine." He stared off into space, his expression distant. Then he snapped back to reality. "Dragons and birds of ice... It seems all our destinies really are intertwined. It will be interesting to see where I meet you next."

"You're leaving again?" asked Aurora.

"Of course I am. To start following you around would be to admit defeat, and I am never doing that," he replied. "So long, Winter-Hair. Hope to see you in Cianwood."

"Oh, well. See you later, Fire-Top," Aurora replied. "Good luck with your uncle."

"Thank you. Good luck with Clair. You'll need it," he replied.

The girls were quiet as Ember made his exit. Laine still didn't seem to have completely left her dream, and Aurora was feeling a little sorry to see him go. She was starting to think she actually liked Ember.

*He will be a good leader, someday. Who knows? Maybe with him in charge, being a Rocket might even be something to be proud of, and that's more than his uncle ever did.*

"You know, we ought to be hitting the road again, too," she said to Laine. "You might want to start packing up your things."

"Hm? Oh, sure," Laine replied, and began mechanically folding her blankets.

"Spear, spearow?" Scar asked.

"She'll be all right," answered Aurora. "I think she just needs a little time to think."

She gathered her belongings and transported them back to computer storage, preparing to make her way out of the dark building and into daylight. Scar flapped along behind her, eager to see the sky again, but Laine lingered. She looked out into the shadows of the dark room.

"Thanks, Dad," she said. "Don't you worry. I'll finish your work and make you proud. You'll see."

Then, smiling, she set out to follow her friends.