Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ I Don't Want to Battle ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Bang, bang.
 
The incessant noise of the knock on the door ran through her room once more. She rolled out of bed and shuffled to the door. “Yeah? What?” she grouched.
 
“There's a challenger, miss.” The young maid said. Many of the workers in her gym were teenagers who needed a bit of extra cash.
 
“Didn't I say that the gym was to be closed today?” She leaned against the doorframe and scratched at her head, effectively ruffling her long brown hair more.
 
“It's only Saturday, miss.”
 
She turned her head to look at the calendar. “So it is.” She let out a large sigh. “Show the challenger to the gym. I'll be there in a half hour at most.”
 
“Yes, miss.” The girl bowed slightly and left to take care of the challenger.
 
“Danni, you've gotta get you dad to take his gym back.” She mumbled to herself before going back into the room to salvage up some clothes. Danni grabbed a pair of solid black cut off shorts and a bright, lime green tube top and slid them on. She grabbed a brush and ran it through her hair for a moment. She grabbed her belt with her pokéballs and left after hooking it around her waist.
 
Danni walked into the battle area of the gym to access her opponent. A young boy, probably just getting started. Only two pokéballs at his waist…but that wasn't really anything to go by, as she only had one for three years before she caught her second pokémon.
 
“So, you're the whelp that woke me up?” she grouched to the boy. “I assume you've come for this?” She held up the badge in the shape of a golden sunburst.
 
He spread his legs apart, fisted his hands, and put on what Danni assumed was his battle face. “Danni of Valetta town, I, Ega Sishi challenge you for the horizon badge!” He called across the gym.
 
Danni glanced over to where the referee was supposed to be standing and heaved a large sigh…Jake didn't get the message of the battle. “Sure, just give me one minuet to find my blasted referee.” She held up one finger and stepped down from her platform.
 
She walked to her backroom and found him passed out on the ground, beer bottle in hand. “Drunk yourself to sleep again I see.” She grumbled to him as she stepped around to his side. “Hey,” she nudged the tip of her boot at his side, “wake up lazy.”
 
The man on the ground just gave a small snort and turned his head to the side.
 
“Fine, but I tried to do it the nice way.” She pulled her foot back and gave a strong kick into the man's side.
 
This woke him up. “The hell's wrong with you bitch!” He sat up and rubbed at his side.
 
“I've got a challenger, guess who's missing.”
 
He set down the bottle and stood up. “Damn, sorry `bout that `Ni.”
 
Danni's eye twitched slightly at the man's nickname for her. “Just get your flags and get to the arena. The kid's name is Ega Sishi.” She turned and went back to the arena.
 
***
 
“What kind of gym leader doesn't even have their referee ready for the battle!” Ega growled, throwing up his hands in anger.
 
“Please don't be angry with the mistress, sir.” The maid from earlier said, offering him an apple juice from a silver tray. “Yesterday was quite hard on everyone here.”
 
He took it and sipped it gingerly. “That doesn't change the fact that it's nearly two in the afternoon.”
 
“The mistress isn't a morning person.” The maid smiled and walked off with the empty glass just as Danni returned from her search for the ref.
 
“About time.” He grouched silently to himself.
 
***
 
Danni stepped back onto the platform and leaned against the railing. “Sorry about that.” She said grinning at the boy. Her referee stepped onto his designated platform. “He had one too many drinks last night.”
 
“The challenger, Ega Sishi will participate in a set of two one on one matches. The challenger may switch pokémon at any time, however Danni may not. Begin!”
 
The match ended quickly, with Danni as the victor. Ega slouched, his cockiness gone quickly and walked slowly from the platform. Danni walked around and set a hand on his shoulder. “Good try, kid. Better luck next time.”
 
“I don't get it.” he mumbled, his head still hung low.
 
Danni blinked. “Get what?”
 
“How can a gym leader as un-organized as you, with your ref drunk off his ass, and a staff of teenagers be so good at battling?”
 
“You know kid, I'd love to answer that, but sadly, I have no response to give you. I'm just lucky I guess.”
 
He pulled out from under her hand. “But you only used one attack! With just one pokémon!”
 
“Like I said, better luck next time kid.”
 
Ega glared once more at Danni and stormed out of the gym. “Early morning shot, miss?”
 
Danni turned and smiled. “No thank you, not today. Please tell any more challengers that I'm not in today, I'll be back on Monday. I'm a human, and deserve to have a bit of fun of my own.” A large smirk played across her face and she left out the back door of the gym.
 
“Yes ma'am.” The maid smiled and drank the shot herself before walking back to the kitchen to tell the staff that they had the day off.
 
********
 
Disclaimer: I don't claim to own Pokémon. It belongs to whoever created it.
 
Just a simple one-shot, I don't plan on continuing it. My brother and I were talking about how Pokémon was at its best when Misty was still there. And I mean when it was Ash and Misty, not the chronicles thingy or whatever it's called. We got around to talking about how it'd get annoying after a while always hearing `*insert name here* I challenge you to a pokébattle!' then I decided that the couch was a good-for-nothing ref that was sleeping one off.
 
Review please.