Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Out of Your LEAGUE ❯ Awakening ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Out of Your LEAGUE
By Seabeast
Part 2 ~ Awakening

~< § >~


Something cool and wet was pressed against her forehead. Misty groaned, the morning sunlight penetrating her closed eyelids, and tried to roll over. She stopped when a sharp pain lashed through her side, lingering for several minutes. She lay there, breathing heavily as she tried to contact Feraligatr, still not daring to open her eyes.

There! She had him. He was asleep in a...Pokémon Center? Then where was she? She held back a gasp as she suddenly realized that she was lying on a soft bed, a feathery pillow under her head.

She struggled for a minute, but she finally managed to open her eyes. She tried to sit up and look around her, but the pain in her side stopped her from doing so. Instead, she surveyed the room from her horizontal position.

Everything was so white, the fierceness of it hurting her eyes. There was a heavy wooden door on the far side of the room and a table on the right side of her bed with her communicator and a stack of papers on it. But that was it. The rest of the room was empty, save the large window positioned directly above her head.

Suddenly a click caught her attention and she watched wearily as the door opened, a tall man in a brown robe entering. He looked up and his small brown eyes met hers, his face instantly brightening. "Misty! You're awake!" he called as he rushed to her side.

She tried to sit up and greet him, but he shoved her back down. "Don't try to get up yet," he warned, pulling up a chair she hadn't noticed from the foot of her bed. "You picked up some serious injuries."

"What happened, Brock?" she managed to moan, the pain it caused her side forcing her to squint her eyes.

"You tell me," he said, his voice turning serious. "Drake picked up something while he was in the Orange Islands and he sent out a field to help you. I was on it. We were in the woods when it got really quiet. Before we knew it we were in the middle of a lightning storm. We saw an especially large flash, so we followed it and found you unconscious next to...Ash."

He stared at her, waiting for her to explain, but she simply stared back. "Well?" he suddenly demanded, standing up so quickly that his small chair flipped over. "What happened? Why was he there? There were signs of a Battle. Did you two fight again? A real fight or an Ash-and-Misty fight? And what happened to you? No matter what happened six years ago, I refuse to believe that Ash would do this to you of all people."

Misty looked down at her feet, suddenly not wanting to speak. "Well?" Brock pressed. "He was my friend too, Misty. He was like a brother. And then he went and pulled that stunt of his and I never got to see him or my blood brothers again. I deserve an explanation, if nothing else."

Slowly she let her eyes meet his and was shocked by the emotion she saw. Then she remembered how she had felt when he told her about Pallet Settlement 5. He was right. He deserved to know, if no one else.

"Kassin attacked," she said softly. Brock's eyes widened.

"What?"

"Kassin found me in the forest and we Battled. He won, and he was going to...hurt me...when Ash came." This time she stared fully into Brock's eyes, her face set. "He saved me Brock. Him and Pikachu. They risked their lives for me. Why would a murderer do that? He could have easily just run away and saved himself a dozen times, but he didn't. Why?"

Brock stared at her as he slowly lowered himself into his chair, realizing that it was on the floor a second too late and ending up crashing to the ground. Misty painfully pulled herself up to look at him. He was just sitting there, his eyes unfocused.

"He's still alive," he mumbled. "After all this time he isn't dead. Even after the Shadow Pokémon were released."

The two sat there for a few minutes, thinking, when suddenly Misty remembered something. "Brock, where is he? Is he all right? Is Pikachu all right?"

He looked up at her. "Well, we put them in another hospital wing. They would have been put in the Hold's hospital, but their injuries were too severe. They're supposed to go there when they're recovered enough. Which should be whenever they wake up."

Misty frowned. "But it could take a few days for them to recover fully."

"Yes, and you've been out for almost a week. Neither of you have woken up yet. Until now."

Misty had to fight the urge to leap out of bed. "What do you mean I've been out for a week? What happened? Why are they going to the Hold? And where's Feraligatr?"

Brock sighed, picking up the chair and falling into it once again. "Nothing. You've missed nothing. Except for a raid on a Violet Settlement by the Shadows. We now have reason to believe that Kassin has the power to control them-"

"Of course he has the power to control them. He released them, didn't he? But why are they sending Ash to the Hold? Who made that decision?"

"The Board. They wanted to send him there right away, but me and Sam persuaded them to let him heal first. Pikachu's in the same Center as Feraligatr."

"But why?"

He shrugged. "His record, most likely."

"But that's ridiculous! He hasn't been seen in six years! He was even rumored to be dead! How can they possible send him to the Hold?"

"Because of his record, Misty! Remember his record? There was Richie and my siblings and that Pokémon. You can't forget murder. Not in six years, not ever. And besides, Koga's recollections didn't help."

"What recollections?"

"He was on our team. He said that huge bolt of lightning we saw was the getaway Attack of the Dark Spark. He was in that Cinnabar incident. The original." He sighed. "So now we have the issue of who used that Attack. No one really knows who the Dark Spark is, so that doesn't help. There were only three sets of human footprints in the mud, so that doesn't help, now that I know one was Kassin's. There were-"

"Ash used it." Misty said quietly.

Brock stopped talking, looked up at her curiously. "What?"

"Ash used it. Him and Pikachu. They must have Joined in the years that they were missing. He somehow controlled it so that it wouldn't touch me, just the Shadow Pokémon surrounding us."

Brock stared at her. "Well that explains why suddenly an entire hoard of Shadows went crashing through the woods," he sighed. "But...he used it? There has been controversy over him being the Dark Spark-it would make sense if he had Joined with Pikachu-but I didn't actually consider it to be true."

"Consider it," Misty said flatly.

"What else do you know about him?" Brock asked, peering at her.

"Nothing. Just that Kassin's as angry at him as he is with us."

Brock frowned. "Why?"

Misty shrugged, the movement causing her to wince. Brock noticed and gently shoved her back so she was lying down. "Rest," he said quietly. "I was stupid to interrogate you right now. Try and get some sleep. I'll notify you if anything comes up."

Misty stared at him. "You think after all that I'm going to just fall asleep?" she demanded. "Ash is going to the Hold, Kassin has been attacking our troops for weeks, Drake is doing who-knows-what with the Board, Shadows are everywhere, Feraligatr's severely injured, Ash could be dying-"

Brock shushed her. "There's nothing you can do about it right now," he said firmly. "As your brother, sort of, I order that you try sleeping for the remainder of today and tonight. Tomorrow we'll see how well you are." He turned to go. "And don't try sneaking out, either," he said without turning around. "Drake's got a Barrier on your door. No one with a Water-Type TeeKay can get in or out."

Misty glared at his retreating back as he left. The door closed behind him and she sighed heavily, relaxing on the bed. She felt like one huge, enormous bruise. She lifted the sheets gingerly and glanced at her side, where Feraligatr had been ripped open. All that remained now was a long scar-one that hurt. Feraligatr would keep it forever, but it would eventually fade off of her skin.

How on earth did Brock expect her to rest? Knowing Kassin, he was probably thinking up another one of his brilliant attack schemes right now and she would be powerless to stop him. And what was this between him and Ash? What did he want with a-she forced herself to go on, swallowing hard in her dry throat-with a murderer? Did he want him and Pikachu for his Eidolon? But Electric Types were banned.

She sighed again, closing her eyes. She would never sleep, she decided after a few minutes. Never again. And yet within the hour she had slipped into unconsciousness.

~< § >~


Ash awoke to a buzzing headache; the result of overpowering himself. He could feel that his power was back to full strength again, but he still bore the dizzying aftereffects.

Pikachu? he asked silently. He heard a soft reply and continued, Where are you?

A Pokémon Center. With Feraligatr.

Is he okay?

He's awake, if that's what you mean.

Ash unwillingly opened his eyes. He tried to sit up, but the fierce pain this caused his shoulder and chest forced him down again. Instead, he looked around with his eyes.

The room was white, save the wooden door opposite his bed. There were no windows, no furniture, no anything. The light he used to see by was a small florescent bar near the top of the door. A faint red light covered the walls, floor and ceiling, leaving no nooks or crannies.

He sighed, closing his eyes. I think I'm in some type of hospital, he told Pikachu. He eyed the bandage covering his upper torso, smelling the familiar scent of a type of leaf that had natural healing powers in its veins. A good one. It also looks like they know who I am. Ask Feraligatr where Misty is.

Another hospital room, Pikachu said after a short pause. But hers has furniture and a window. And there's no light covering the perimeter.

It figures that they'd try to keep me here, Ash thought to himself. Suddenly he heard footsteps on the other side of the door. He watched silently as a man in a white lab coat entered, a clipboard under one arm. He closed the door softly, but firmly, behind him and stepped into the room. Ash couldn't help but notice that the red light shimmered in the open doorway.

The man turned around and jumped when his eyes met Ash's. "You're awake," he said, startled. Ash stared at him, his golden brown eyes giving away none of his emotions.

The man looked at the clipboard, then at Ash. "My name is Dr. Nealyn, in case you're wondering." Ash stared at him, still not making a sound. Nealyn didn't seem the least bit nervous by his patient's silent reactions.

"I've been observing you over the past week-" Ash had to conceal a jump of surprise when he realized how long he must have been out "-and I've noticed quite a few unusual cuts and scratches on you. Care to explain?"

Ash continued to stare at him. He hadn't spoken to a human since he had been convicted, with the exception of Kassin and, just recently, Misty. He wasn't going to start now, especially not with a doctor he didn't know.

"I see," Nealyn said after a few moments of silence. "I noticed that most were from your TeeKay, so those will disappear soon. However, the ones on your upper chest and left shoulder will remain permanent scars, though minor ones. Unless you want to keep them? I understand a lot of the ladies enjoy men with battle wounds," he said, smiling.

Ash frowned. What was this man playing at? Most humans ran away screaming once they realized who he was. This one acted as if he were a normal patient.

"You're not frightening me," Nealyn said suddenly, startling Ash. "I predict that you've noticed the red light? Well, we've been running some tests, mainly on you, and we've discovered that you have the uncanny ability to be trapped inside of a Pokéball's force field. Humans and objects, however, may pass through freely. Once inside, they field generates a shield, of sorts, to surround any foreign objects in the near vicinity, therefore disabling you from touching me. Why do you think you have no sheets? Only objects already touching you once the shield was activated may pass through unaffected. Hence your bandages."

Ash stared at him, this time in shock. He could be trapped within a Pokéball? Don't worry, Pikachu said, listening to the man through Ash's ears. There's a way to get out of everything.

"Now," Nealyn rubbed his hands together, approaching Ash with a smile on his face. "I am going to treat you, with your help of course. First, I need you to tell me where it hurts."

Ash glared at him thinking, I'm not a baby. Nealyn, misreading his expression, said quietly, "Would it help if you knew that I treat Agent Misteara as well? I'll be tending to her as soon as I'm finished with you. I've just come from talking with her and she says to tell you that I can be trusted."

"And I am to take your word, why?" Ash asked. Nealyn jumped a little, not expecting him to speak.

Pikachu said. Feraligatr says he's okay.

Okay how?

He says he's one of Misty's best friends. He's a LEAGUE physician. He treats her every time she comes back after a mission, whether she needs it or not. Feraligatr says he believes them when they say...when they say we're innocent.

Ash froze, his eyes widening. Misty thought he was innocent? Or was she just saying that so he would open up to this doctor?

"Everything all right?" Nealyn asked, noticing Ash's sudden reaction to apparently nothing. Suddenly he smiled in understanding. "Ah, your TeeKay, that beautiful Pikachu. A little shaggy and underfed, but still the most beautiful creature I have ever set eyes upon, besides Misty's Feraligatr and Icewing, of course. May I add that I am also a Pokémon veterinarian?" Ash sensed Pikachu puff out his fur with pride, an image of Feraligatr laughing flashing through his head. Nealyn smiled. "Ah, I can only imagine what wonderful things that graceful mouse can tell you," he sighed.

"Don't you have a TeeKay?" Ash asked, forgetting the fact that he wasn't supposed to talk and mentally slapping himself for it.

"Alas, but no. I almost did though, once. A Furret." Ash thought that such a curious creature would fit Nealyn's personality perfectly.

"What happened?" Ash asked, now genuinely interested.

"The Eidolon got to him in a battle," he said gloomily. "The battle for the Plateau, actually." He frowned. "By plateau I am referring to Indigo, of course, during a war in which the LEAGUE and the-"

"And the Eidolon had a fierce battle including both Pokémon and humans which resulted in a LEAGUE triumph, but just barely. Both sides suffered terribly, and the LEAGUE had to work hard to set up a good defense there. It remains a LEAGUE stronghold to this day, all thanks to Agent Misty-Misteara-or so I'm told." Nealyn stared at him, his jaw dropped. Ash smiled. "I have my connections."

"Connections? But you haven't been seen-"

"By humans," Ash interrupted. "They aren't the only creatures with the ability to speak."

Nealyn's jaw dropped yet again. "You mean-?"

"Yes, Doctor, Pokémon can speak, too. And yes, Doctor, I can understand them. Now will you please fetch me some water? I understand I haven't had anything to drink in over a week."

Nealyn nodded, hurrying out of the room. He returned a few minutes later with a tall glass of cool water, which Ash hurriedly drank and handed back, empty. "Can I really be contained inside this thing?" Ash asked, looking at the walls.

"I'm afraid so," Nealyn replied. "Now, will you let me treat you? I'd like to learn more about your connection to Pokémon also, if you don't mind."

"I don't really have a connection with them," Ash said, forcing himself to stand and raise his stiff arms to unwind his bandage. Nealyn watched silently from the foot of his bed. "I just understand them better than people, is all. And I try to consider their feelings when I'm around them. Most humans go about their own business, not caring if they're destroying a mound of Diglett and Dugtrio by building a new road, or upsetting a tree colony of Pineco by camping out, or driving an entire flock of Murkrow or Pidgey or whatever out of their homes by chopping down tress for firewood. And I listen when they speak to me."

"Can you understand all Pokémon languages?" the doctor asked, looking closely at the fresh scar stretching from the area just below his neck, up to his left shoulder, and down again, stopping just above the elbow. Ash hadn't known the cut was that large.

"Only those belonging to the Pokémon I've had a chance to talk to," he said, eyeing the scar. "Pikachu automatically translates everything I don't know until I've got most of it down. Will this scar hinder my movement?"

"For a couple days, yes. But after a week you'll barely notice it. Try and stand, slowly." Ash did as he was told, wincing as new aches sprang up all over his body.

"I'm a tad sore," he said through gritted teeth when he was standing, a little shakily, beside his bed.

"So I've noticed," Nealyn said, smiling. He kneeled beside Ash and examined a lighter scar in the shape of a circle on his side, even with his belly button. "Your TeeKay's?" he asked.

"Must be from when the Shadow nicked him with a horn."

"From the size and shape I'm guessing it was done by a rather large male Nidoran, am I correct?" Ash remembered the battle from Pikachu's mind and nodded, the motion bringing a headache.

He stood and looked Ash squarely in the eye. "I'm about to do something that they've warned me and warned me about doing," he said, a serious expression on his face. He held up a small box with a single red button on it. "This will deactivate the field. I need to do it in order to study you properly. Do I have your word that you won't slash my throat or electrocute my brains until they've been disintegrated?" Although his tone was serious his blue eyes sparkled with laughter.

"Scout's honor," Ash said, bowing stiffly. He immediately wished he hadn't as a sharp pain lanced up and down his spine.

"Eh, eh, eh, don't make any sudden movements like that," Nealyn advised, a little too late. "The Dark Spark you may be, but you're still human."

"You know who I am?" Ash asked, his dark brows knitting together in surprise.

"Of course I do. Misty explained what she knew of you to me, which actually wasn't very much. Now, do I have your word that you won't slit my throat when my back is turned?"

"Yeah."

"I would have been surprised if you'd have said otherwise." He pressed the button and the red barrier surrounding the room flickered once, then vanished.

"Won't they have a tracer or something to notify them if the field goes down?" Ash asked as Nealyn pressed a hand to his forehead. He had to keep from jerking back; he wasn't used to human touch.

"They will back in the Hold, but this is just an ordinary hospital. Now hold still while I take your temperature." He thrust a cool, thin glass bar into Ash's mouth and brought the stethoscope out from around his neck. Placing it on his chest, Ash jumped. "Cold? Sorry." He breathed on it a couple times, then tried again. "I need you to take deep, even breaths for me. In...and out. In...and out."

Ash breathed at his command, relaxing a little. This isn't so bad, he told Pikachu

He did the same to me, yesterday, was Pikachu's reply. Oh, watch out for the-

Something sharp pricked his upper right arm. He watched as Dr. Nealyn withdrew the needle and stuffed it into one of the large pockets on the lab coat. "Sorry about that, but you need your shots, same as everyone else. Didn't your Pikachu warn you?"

"He tried," Ash said dryly.

Nealyn smiled, taking the thermometer from Ash's mouth and reading it. "You seem normal. Fit as any man I've ever treated, although you could do with a little more food."

"The Eidolon have been keeping us on our toes," Ash replied, lifting himself tiredly to sit on the bed.

"Oh?" Nealyn raised an eyebrow. "Do tell."

"There's nothing to tell. Kassin sent his Shadows to wipe Viridian Forest clean of any food for the past week-two weeks, I guess it is now. We were forced to steal from the local shops bordering the forest. It was either that or starve," he added quickly, not wanting the doctor to think he was a criminal.

"So you were the cause for that ruckus," Nealyn said as he scribbled information down on his clipboard. "Drake sent out Agent Misteara to break up the Eidolon, figuring it was them, but it was you all along. She thought as much, afterward."

"What? That's why she was there?"

"Yep. Misty's Drake's best field agent." Ash put his head in his hands, sighing heavily. "What?" Nealyn stopped writing to look at him. "What's wrong?"

"I could have killed her," he said softly, not bothering to look up. "Just add one more name to the record. Just what I need."

"Ash, it's not your fault she was there." The doctor laid a comforting hand on his uninjured shoulder. Ash looked up to meet his eyes and was surprised to see him smiling. "I've heard you used to be notorious for blaming yourself, whether you had any control over the situation or not. You needed food; you got it the only way possible. I understand that if you'd have tried to get work the people would have turned you in. Now stop worrying. Besides," his eyes twinkled, "I think this encounter turned out for the better. Reunited with your old girlfriend."

Ash blushed. "She's not my girlfriend," he said hotly. He hadn't blushed like this in years. Nealyn raised an eyebrow, choosing to remain silent as he went back to scribbling on his board.

He sighed suddenly. "I'm sorry, Ash, but you look almost perfectly fine to me. Your body heals abnormally fast, probably due to your strong bond with your TeeKay."

"What's wrong with my healing fast?"

"Well, the Board made the decision that once you were well enough they'd send you to the Hold. According to them, you're a prisoner. A high-security prisoner."

"Who's this 'them'?" Ash asked. "And what exactly is the Hold?"

"The Hold is the LEAGUE's strongest prison, although I believe it resembles a dungeon most. The Board is the 'them', and it consists of the strongest masterminds on our side, Drake Cytris as the Board director."

Ash's eyes widened. "Drake Cytris? As in, the old Orange Champion Drake Cytris?"

"The one and only. He's the head of the LEAGUE, you know."

"I do now," Ash said thoughtfully. Drake was the leader of the LEAGUE? When did that happen? How did that happen?

"I'm required by LEAGUE law to report that you're healthy enough for the Hold," Nealyn said reluctantly. Ash stared at him. Was he feeling sympathy towards him and Pikachu? "Misty and I will try our best to let him release you, but I can't guarantee anything." He smiled. "And by the way, Misty does believe you're innocent, even if she hasn't admitted it to herself yet."

He held out his hand and Ash shook it after only a little hesitation. He was surprised to feel the calluses of a working man covering the soft palm. "Is-" Ash cleared his throat nervously. "Is Brock still here?"

"Ah, thank you for reminding me, I almost forgot." He reached a hand into the breast pocket of his lab coat and produced a folded letter sealed with brown wax. Ash took it and studied the emblem. "It's the Boulder Badge, his seal. He asked me to give it to you when you were awake. Now I'm sorry, but I must go. Try not to put too much resistance on the guards." He pressed the button on the receiver and waited calmly for the red light to materialize before striding out of the room with a small wave.

Ash sat again, his eyes never leaving the letter. What do you think could be in it? he asked Pikachu nervously.

I don't know. Open it and find out.

Do you think he's still angry with me? he said as he peeled the seal apart with fingers trembling slightly. Brock had been like a brother to him. He didn't know if he could stand the thought of him still hating him after six years. Did he still think he was guilty?

I hope not. Now just open it and tell me what it says!

Ash,

I really don't know what to say. Misty keeps telling me she's doubtful that your records are correct. She refuses to believe that a murderer would go out of his way to save her. I don't know what I believe.

It's been so long. I haven't even seen you since the cops chased you away back in Goldenrod. Not even after that newspaper came out...

You've always been like a brother to me. Now you might be the only one I have left. I'm still not sure I want that. But I can't see you hurting anyone like that, especially not Richie.

I guess deep down I don't believe the ads, I don't believe the hundreds of wanted posters that have long since disintegrated. They stopped putting them up about three years ago, did you know that? It was rumored you were dead. When I read the paper that morning...it hurt me a lot more than I thought it would. I guess I still think of you as my kid brother, the slightly dense one that needs looking-after. Maybe that's why I can't see you as a criminal mastermind. I don't know.

I don't know much of anything anymore. Misty was furious when I told her that you were to go to the Hold when you were well enough. I asked her if she thought you killed all those people and she said she didn't know. Neither do I. She wants to protest to the Board about it, under the statement that she owes her life to you and the least we can do is treat you as a person. Nealyn's with her and I guess I am too. She's like a sister to me, you know. And you saved her. I guess I owe you that much.

I'd like to see you in person, just to talk. I hope it won't be before they bring you to the Hold, but I can't guarantee anything. A field agent doesn't have much say-so in the goings-on around here.

Please cooperate with the Board. I don't think you'll kill anyone, but I'm not sure what one of them may do. Misty tells me Kassin is angry with you. We have a leak somewhere in the LEAGUE and if you struggle it might give the spy the perfect excuse to kill you. Please be careful.

Drake left your cloak and shirt, which have been mended, in my possession. I'll try to bring it when I see you.

Brock

Ash folded the paper up and stared at it. Did this mean Brock wasn't mad at him? His letter didn't make him sound angry, just...confused. And a little sad. Hearing approaching footsteps he quickly tucked the letter into his breeches pocket and stood beside his bed, trying to remain straight through his cramping muscles.

The door swung open quickly and four men carrying long wooden sticks with hooks on the end rushed inside. Ash recognized the weapons as prods, shocking instruments that used to be used on cattle.

"Asheron Ketchum," the one nearest him said, "We are here to take you to your Hold cell. Should you resist we will be forced to use these." He pressed a small button near his thumb and an electric current shot between the two hooks. Ash had to hold back a smile. They were going to force him into this dungeon using his own Element?

"You will also be walking inside of this," the man continued. One of the men standing behind him reached outside of his room and pulled in what looked like a metal hula hoop about three feet in diameter. A small button rested on the outer edge. "It is our recreation of a Pokéball. Now, step inside."

Don't say it, Pikachu warned. Ash could feel anger rising within as he stared at the men. All but the leader looked nervous. He could use that to his advantage.

I refuse to be treated like an ignorant bull, he said crossly. To the men, he said one simple word as he crossed his arms in front of his bare chest: "No."

Without any signal an Arcanine and two large Growlithe trotted to the door, snarling at him. So they were all TeeKay's. He could handle them.

"Don't make us use these," the leader warned. "Now, step inside the enclosure."

"No," Ash repeated stubbornly. "Put your rods down and drop the hoop. I'll come without resistance only if you treat me with respect. I am the Dark Spark, you know." He decided to gamble on the fact that most knew his getaway name by now.

A couple of the men were sweating, though their dogs continued to snarl and growl, unwavering. The leader stepped forward. "I said inside, Ketchum. Now." He pressed the button and another current lanced between the hooks.

"I saved an agent's life," Ash said calmly, not the least bit intimidated by this small threat. "Is this how you treat those you are in debt to?"

The man growled, his Arcanine doing the same from the door. Suddenly the prod shot out and Ash felt a small electric current race into his body. When he didn't so much as flinch, the man stepped back just in time to avoid a small flash of lightning that struck the floor where he had been standing; feedback from the rod. He looked at Ash in shock, rage on his face.

"I told you not to use those," a voice said calmly from the door. Everyone turned to see a tall man in his early twenties leaning against the door frame just outside of the red light, inspecting his fingernails calmly. A light brown TeeKay cloak hung loosely around his slim body, matching his hair, which started at the base of his neck and flipped up to his forehead. Suddenly he looked up and his light brown eyes locked with Ash's golden ones.

"Master Gareth!" the leader of the men called. His Arcanine and the other Growlithe nodded their heads to the small Eevee at Gareth's feet while the men bowed deeply. "I didn't know you were to come!"

"You know very well that there are currently no other prisoners to interrogate," Gary said calmly. Ash glared at him. The anger he had felt before as the men tried to treat him like a powerful cow was nothing when compared to this.

"What do you want?" Ash hissed, fists clenched at his sides.

"Why, don't you know yet? I would have thought that a boy-excuse me-a man of your reputation would have figured me out by now. I'm the head of defense here in the LEAGUE, and I have been instructed to take you to your cell and find out all that I can of the Eidolon," he said, no trace of anger in his sneering voice. "By any means necessary," he added, an evil glint in his eyes.

Sparks cackled in the air surrounding Ash as his eyes instantly took on a light, golden color. He was angry. Furious, even. Be careful, Pikachu warned. Ash could feel his tenseness as well. Pikachu was just as angry as he was, but the mouse possessed a bit more self-control. I know what I'm doing, he replied. But if Gary's come to fight, I'll make sure he gets one. Do you know how to get to me? Through their connection, Ash could sense that they were about half a mile apart. But that was in a straight line. He had no idea how long it would take for his partner to get to him if he was a few levels up or in a maze of halls. He had no idea what the inside of the LEAGUE looked like, either.

No, but I could try.

Do it.

He followed his TeeKay, watching through his eyes as he leaped off of the pillow the nurse had provided him and rushed out the door, using his nose and senses to find Ash. Then he released him, concentrating wholly on Gary.

"Talking to your rat?" he asked unkindly after he noticed Ash's eyes focus again. He let them spark a warning, knowing that the gold color in them was swirling. It unnerved most people, and he was hoping it would unnerve him.

The Eevee scampered up the hem of Gary's robe to sit on his shoulder, large black eyes glinting as it glared at Ash.

"So you TeeKayed with the rat," Gary said calmly, breaking eye contact as he went back to eyeing his nails. The Eevee didn't move. "How predictable," Gary went on. "That tiny little rodent would Join with a pathetic human like you, wouldn't it?"

Small lines of lightning raced around Ash's body as his anger multiplied. He checked on Pikachu; not too far now. He subdued the electricity a bit, not wanting one to accidentally jump into one of the men as they looked fearfully between the two Masters.

"Go ahead and Attack me," Gary said, pushing himself off of the door frame to stand just outside the room. The red of the Pokéball confinement's light blurred his face slightly as he grinned maniacally. "I would love for you to provide me with a reason to kill you here and now."

"What, can't think of one yourself? Or are you just too chicken?"

Gary's eyes flashed as Ash spoke, slowly turning from a light brown to a dark, muddy one, matching his Eevee's fur. Ash watched him. If he was anything like back when they were kids, he would hate insults.

Suddenly a yellow blur shot into the room. Pikachu dashed up Ash's legs, small paws clinging to the rough black fabric of his breeches, and came to rest on his uninjured shoulder, panting heavily as he glared fiercely at Gary and Eevee.

They can't enter, he told Ash. Gary can, but his Eevee can't from the force field.

Ash smiled. "Afraid to come in without your source of power?" he asked mockingly. Gary's glare deepened. If he weren't TeeKayed to a Normal Pokémon, his Element would be twinning around him in anger as it was Ash.

Sensing that Gary couldn't care less what happened to his men, Ash said, "Get out, now. Unless you want one of my stray bolts to find you?"

The men looked at him in fear before hurrying out of the room, their dogs following them. Gary stepped aside to let them pass, his eyes never leaving Ash's. They stood in silence for a few minutes, staring each other down.

How would Gary have changed since he had Battled him last? His Eevee was probably a lot stronger, both from Training and the power gained when two creatures Joined, but so was Pikachu. Gary had LEAGUE training-Ash had the hands-on experience of living by himself in the wilderness for six years. Who would be stronger if they fought?

"I've no guards, Ketchum," Gary said suddenly, misinterpreting Ash's hesitation to Attack. "It's just me and you. But before we Battle, you must tell me: How did you escape Kassin last night? I understand he had Trained hard, hoping to kill you. Did Misteara do all of the work, using her TeeKay to Battle while you sat back and watched? Did you use all of your energy in a more...pleasurable way after she was weakened by the Shadows?"

"My escape is none of your concern," Ash replied through gritted teeth, fists clenched at his sides.

Open the field, Pikachu said suddenly, anger making his voice harsh in Ash's head. I'll tell you how.

Ash reached over to the nearest wall and ran his rough hands along the surface, the raw energy of the field crackling as it made contact with his skin. He groped around, searching for the feeling of a niche that Pikachu had sent him. Suddenly he felt it-it was like a tiny hole in the energy fabric of the wall. He poked his index fingers into it and pulled. The wall crackled loudly, then sputtered out. Ash blinked. So that's how Pokémon escape from their Pokéballs.

It's harder with more powerful Pokéballs, Pikachu explained. The energy resists you. I don't know anyone that can force a Masterball open.

Ash turned back to Gary just in time to catch a glimpse of his wide eyes. He quickly recovered himself and stepped into the room. Eevee leapt from his shoulders onto the ground between the two humans. Pikachu did the same, unused electricity lancing through his bristling fur.

"What's going on in there?" a smooth voice demanded from the hall outside Ash's room. "Gary? You were supposed to bring Ketchum past the first guard five minutes ago. What are you-"

The source of the voice reached the door and froze as he realized what was going on.

Ash eyed him warily, recognizing him at once. His dark hairstyle remained the same, though it looked a bit ruffled now, as if he had been running his hands through it. Small, blue eyes widened in shock as he took in the scene before him. He wore baggy black breeches and a black shirt, while an open maroon robe of a Master hung down to his feet. He still had a Pokéball on a chain secured around his neck, but instead of the old red-and-white that it had been last time, it was a light orange color, the bottom half the silver-gray of a TeeKay.

Drake reacted immediately. Turning, he shouted into the hall, "Guards! Get in here, now!" He turned back to Gary. "What do you think you're doing?" he hissed. "I told you to bring him peacefully! Nealyn said that's what he agreed to!"

Gary refused to turn around when he spoke to the leader of the LEAGUE. "He was Attacking the men, sir. I had no choice."

"What?" Ash shouted, the anger now boiling within him causing him and Pikachu to be surrounded by thin streaks of lightning. Drake's eyes widened as he took in the sight. "I did no such thing! I even ordered them out so they wouldn't get hurt-"

"Are you admitting that you were going to hurt me, then?" Gary asked coolly. His Eevee left its Battle position on the floor to sit on his shoulder, acting as if nothing had happened as it scratched behind its ear with its hind foot. Pikachu laid his ears flat in irritation, trotting back to sit on his haunches beside Ash's feet.

"What were you thinking to even turn the field off?" Drake demanded.

"He opened it, sir."

Drake's eyes snapped up to stare at Ash. Regaining his composure to this new shock, he said, "Asheron Ketchum, I hereby place you under the arrest of-"

"Oh, stop it, Drake, you know Gary probably started it anyway." The lightning that had been forming around Ash and Pikachu vanished as Nealyn stepped past Gary and Drake, striding across the room to stand next to Ash. He knelt and patted Pikachu affectionately on the head. Pikachu 'Chaa'd as he scratched the base of his ear, eyes closed in pleasure. Drake's eyes widened once again as he watched them.

"Nealyn, what the hell are you-?"

"I came when I saw Pikachu, here, running for his life towards Ash's room. Luckily Misty's pretty much patched up or I'd have missed him." He stood again. Ash could feel Pikachu's disappointment and invited him silently to perch on his shoulder, which he did hurriedly.

"I've come to represent Agents Misteara, Brock, and Tracey in our request that the fugitive Asheron Ketchum be left to his own accord and not forced into the Hold, or any other type of prison."

"Impossible!" Drake sputtered. "The Board would kill me-"

"Who, exactly?" Nealyn asked, folding his arms. Ash and Gary watched the conversation silently. "You know that Brock and quite possibly Sam will defend him, and Joy probably will, too." Ash had to conceal a jump of surprise. People would defend him? Willingly?

Drake narrowed his eyes. "I can't, Nealyn. You know that. The Board and the Cabinet will both unite to overrule me."

"So you're going to lock an innocent man up for fear of losing your position?" Nealyn asked, voice even.

"Innocent?" Drake sputtered, his voice rising. "Nealyn, have you forgotten this man's record? He's a murderer, for Mew's sake!"

"And which of you have never killed?" Nealyn demanded. Ash had only seen his nice, cheerful, inquisitive side. He was quite surprised to see him arguing with an authority figure like this, especially his own boss.

"Can you honestly tell me that not you nor your Board members have killed in the recent attacks by the Eidolon?" Nealyn continued when they didn't respond. "We've all become murderers in the past few years, all but Misty, Brock, Tracey, the Joys, and maybe a couple other people that turn their foes in to you so that you can do with them as you please. They go out of their way to stop from killing on their missions, but the other LEAGUE members still do it. And here we have someone that you claim is experienced." Ash winced when Nealyn referred to him that way. "And instead of treating him as a friend, you try to lock him up. Couldn't we use him right about now?"

Drake looked thoughtful. Eyes on Nealyn, he said, "If you and your group can present an argument like that to the Board, I suppose I can't stop you." His tone was reluctant. "But I warn you: I'm not on your side." He looked at Ash. "You're to come, too. Nealyn will take you to get your robe beforehand, so that you may at least look presentable." Without another word he strode from the room.

Gary glared hard at Ash and Nealyn, fists clenched tightly. "You may have gotten off easy this time, Ketchum," he hissed. "But don't always count on someone to protect you. I'll get you yet." He, too, strode from the room without a backwards glance.

"Well," Nealyn said after a few moments of stunned silence. "I think that went rather well, don't you agree?" Ash stared at him oddly, an eyebrow raised. Nealyn laughed. "Come, let's get your things.

"How much power does Gary have here?" Ash asked, following him out of his room and into a wide hallway.

"Not much," he said. "He's better at Intelligence than Defense, but we have enough men in that department. Why waste another? He's still better than anyone else at Defense, so that's where Drake stationed him. You should see him in the Intelligence business. He seems to have the uncanny ability to root out spies."

Ash followed quietly, thinking over what Nealyn said. After a short walk they came to a long corridor, large wooden doors aligning the walls. He opened one. "After you," he said, gesturing Ash forward.

Ash stepped inside to see a very bland, boring room. A large bed with ruffled sheets sat in one corner, a table with a single wooden chair in the other. A few papers sat on the table, and Ash noticed something long and black draped over the chair. He walked over and shrugged his shirt and cloak on, Pikachu staying with Nealyn as he did so.

"This is Brock's room?" he asked.

"Yes. Don't worry, not all agents' rooms are this bare. Brock just travels a lot. He's only here for important business and he rarely stays the night. He prefers the wilderness, even if it is crawling with Shadows nowadays

Pikachu rejoined him after he had brushed out the wrinkles. He noted the good job of which whoever had mended his coat had done. It looked brand new, not like something a man wore everyday in the woods. Small snags from branches were gone, the rip in his right cuff from a rabid Teddiursa had vanished, even the long tear from the Shadow Sandslash was unrecognizable.

"Pika Pikachu Pi Chu Ka Pikachu."

"He said he likes the good job on my robes," Ash translated as Pikachu tread his shoulder with his paws. "And so do I. Tell me, why waste so much on me? And why did Drake let me walk freely, without that Pokéball force field thing?"

"Because if you take away the Board, the Cabinet, the Eidolon, and every other responsibility that comes with his job you'd find a man that's just extremely worried for the people around him." Nealyn smiled. "Those Board members work him hard. They force him to make decisions he doesn't want to make."

"How would they do that?" Ash asked as he followed Nealyn back out into the hall.

"Because they have the power to force him to resign. And if he resigns, Master Gareth Oak is next in the line of power."

"It sounds really complicated here," Ash said after a pause. "Makes me kind of glad I left civilization for a while."

Like you had a choice, Pikachu muttered dryly.

Something was nagging at Ash. Suddenly, he knew what it was. "Nealyn, where is everyone? I thought the base of the LEAGUE would be a little more crowded."

The doctor opened a small door to their left that revealed a spiraling stone staircase. "We're in what you might call the lounge of the HQ," he said, leading Ash. "The rooms, the hospital, the food court-they're all one large section of the compound. Fortunately for us, they're all practically abandoned at this time of day. Everyone has their own job to do."

He led Ash up a few flights of stairs, finally ending at a long, plain hallway. Plain wooden doors lined the smooth gray walls, ending on the dirty tile floor. Nealyn took him to a door about halfway down the hall and stopped beside it.

"This is it," he said, turning to Ash. "The Board room. If you don't please them now they have the power to put you to death. Are you ready?"

"Yes," he said, calmly although his insides were squirming. Nealyn shrugged and opened the door, stepping inside.

~< § >~


BWAHAHA! Cliffhanger! Sorry, but I just couldn't help myself. Not much action, I know...:(...but there will be! Actually, the chapter was supposed to be way longer, but you people were getting impatient so I decided to stop here and post it now. The next one will consist of a little more action and Ash's decision. What's Ash's decision, you ask? Can't tell you. MWAHAHAHAHA! o.O Sorry. It's almost midnight and I have school tomorrow. -_- ANYWAY, here's the long awaited Part 2. ENJOY!!

-Seabeast