Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pokemon Adventures: Kanto ❯ Prof. Oak ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Pokemon Adventures: Kanto
 
Chap 1: Prof. Oak
Garen stood in a large white room. Ancient writings were engraved on the walls. He had never known this place's name, so he called it the “Temple.” He was dressed in his green and white striped pajamas. Most of his short white hair covered his eyes. He waited for a few moments. From the far side of the room came a figure, a tall dark man with flaming red hair. He wore draping white robes and a kind-hearted face. “Welcome back,” he said. Garen smiled. “Thanks. How have you been?” The tall man laughed. “Boring, as usual. Being stuck here has been petty hard, but at least I can see you.” Garen nodded. They both stood in silence for a while. “I understand you are to receive your fist pokemon tomorrow, is that right?” the tall man finally spoke. Garen nodded. “Yeah, I can't wait. I'm finally gonna be a pokemon trainer. I can finally get out of this boring life of mine.” As it was true. Garen life had never been anything but complete boredom. No excitement. As a child he would sit by the stream in his town, waiting for a fish to jump. For ANYTHING to happen. Now, as a 14 year old, he would sit on the roof of his house hoping a meteor would hit the Earth. But no matter how hard he hoped or prayed, nothing would ever happen. But now he would have a pokemon, and be an official pokemon trainer. He could go on adventures and have fun. All his hopes and prayers would be answered.
Now he looked at the tall man before him, and realized he could never experience what Garen was to experience now. He lowered his head. The robed figure seemed to know what he was thinking. Do not grieve for me, for I had plenty adventures in my day. Besides, I'm better off here. Garen knew he was lying about the last part, but he didn't say anything. The tall figure suddenly looked up in attention. “Hmm…It seems it's time for you to leave. Goodbye, Garen.” Garen was about to ask why when suddenly he heard a loud ringing in his ear. Suddenly the waving tall figure was disappearing, and being replaced by a bedroom. Garen quickly turned off his ringing Pidgey alarm clock. Now his ears hurt. He resented in ever buying the darn thing. He stared at the ceiling, as it reminded him of the Temple. He figured it was up there in the sky somewhere. He sighed and looked at his clock. 7:01 am. Suddenly he remembered why the alarm clock had gone off, and quickly began getting dressed.
It was an early morning in the town of Pallet. A nice cold breeze had drifted in over night. A few snowflakes lay on the white grass. A group of young Pidgey are just waking. One of the youngsters walked to the edge of their nest. Grinning, he happily hopped off and spread his wings. He began flapping with all his might. He was going to fly! But no matter how hard he flapped his wings he wasn't gaining altitude. Finally he hit the ground with a plop and began to cry. The mother pidgey quickly swooped down a grabbed the youngster. After putting him back in the nest, she scolded him for doing such a stupid thing. He seemed to get the point as he nestled back into the warm nest. Down the dirt street a bit of dust was kicked up in the air by a young figure coming down the path. Garen jogged at a steady pace. He could see his breath before him. Instead of pajamas he now wore a black t-shirt covered with a red jacket since it was still late winter. He also wore blue jeans and a black headband around his head with the words, “Charmander Rockers, his favorite band. Finnaly he saw the big lab coming into view, and he grinned, He was greeted at the door by the old Prof. Oak. “Welcome,” he said, “you're the first one here Garen. Come on in.!” Apparently the Prof. old age had taken affect on him for he now had wrinkly skin and very gray hair. But none the less, he was still the happy and jittery old Prof. Oak. Garen had been in the lab many times before, but it still amazed him. There were hundreds of books on the shelves, anywhere from Abra's Sleepy Problem, to Zapdos Origins. Their was dozens of machines that Prof. Oak had create over the years, though most of them were pointless.(Make tofu in seconds, for example!)But what amazed him the most was the shelves along the walls filled with hundreds, no thousands, of pokeballs, each with a pokemon inside. For many hours Garen had looked at the pokeballs, thinking off the different pokemon inside. Prof. Oak told him to wait in the lounge, so he sat on a couch and waited. One of Prof. Oak's aids walked over to him. “Hi there, Garen. Come to get your first pokemon?” she asked. Garen nodded. “Hi Sarah, yeah.” Garen secretly had a crush on her. She sat down next to him. She was wearing a purple sweater and blue jeans along with her lab coat. Her blond hair was neatly tied back in a ponytail. “So, have you decided which one you want yet?” she asked. “Yep” She smiled. “Which one?” But Garen only grinned. “You'll see.” Prof. Oak finnaly came back. “Ok, Garen, I've got the three pokemon.” Garen quickly stood up. Prof. Oak continued. “There's Charmander, the Fire pokemon, Bulbasaur, the grass pokemon, or Squirtle, the water pokemon.” Garen smiled and said he'd take Bulbasaur, the grass pokemon. Prof. Oak nodded and handed him the pokeball containing Bulbasaur. “Oh, and take these,” Prof. Oak said, holding out six pokeballs and an odd red device. Garen put the pokeballs in his jeans pocket and asked what the red device was. Prof. Oak chuckled. “That's a pokedex, of course. It's a high tech encyclopedia on Pokemon. But over the years I added a few extra things to it.” Prof. Oak continued telling him how to work the device. Apparently the Prof. had added a map system, pokemon level checker, and even a radio and a few other things. Garen nodded and thanked him. He turned and waved goodbye to Sarah. “See ya later, Sarah!” Sarah waved back. “Good luck, Garen. Bye!” Garen told the Prof. goodbye and headed out the door. On the way out he spotted his rival, Yuki, coming to get his starter. As they passed they just gave each other cold glares. Once he was outside and back on the dirt road he took out his pokeball. “Guess you want to come out, huh?” he said, smiling. He clicked the button on the pokeball and a moment later Bulbasaur appeared. The little creature was green in color and had a bulb on its back. “Bulbasaur, Bulba!” it shouted happily as it ran up to Garen. Garen happily petted it on its head. “What do you say we head home and get ready to go on our journey?” Bulbasaur nodded happily and they were on their way.
An hour later Garen stood on the outskirts of Pallet, his mother and Bulbasaur beside him. “Oh, Garet, I'm going to miss you!” his mother cried, hugging him. “Don't worry mom, I'll be back someday. Plus I'll keep in touch.” His mother nodded, wiping the tears from her eyes. “Well, good luck to you and you pokemon!” she said hugging Garen once more and patting Bulbasaur on the head. Garen thanked her and headed on his way. He stopped once, to wave gooodbye to his mother, then continued forward. Though he was walking on a dirt road, he was stepping into a whole new adventure.
 
TO BE CONTINUED…