Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ TJ, Pokemon Master ❯ Prologue

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Rainbow Isle Saga, Part 2:

TJ, Pokemon Master

Foreword

I once worked for the world-famous crime organization know as Team Rocket. While I wasn't very good at stealing Pokemon, stealing anything else was second nature. It was fun at first. Jessie & I were a great team, even without Meowth.

Then things went wrong, all because of a kid who didn't know what he was getting into. It wasn't his fault, really. We tricked him into joining Team Rocket. He idolized me, and thought Jessie was a goddess. There wasn't anything he wouldn't do to please us.

Of course, it was Giovanni that did most of the convincing. We didn't even know what the boss had planned at the time. When we finally did find out, it was much too late for everyone involved. There was no turning back for the kid. To this day, I wonder if he survived. Jessie didn't, and I curse myself every night for that.

I never thought any Pokemon could be so fatal to other Pokemon and humans, but I was wrong. Even after all this time, I can't help but think that all the pain, death and destruction are on my head. The kid was the boss's pawn, but I was his rook. I wish I were dead so I didn't have to think about it, but that would be too easy. Living with the horrible truth is more punishment than I could ever imagine.

TJ and Jessie. I'm so sorry. So very sorry.

-- James

Prologue

"Something on your mind, son?"

The young boy looked up to see a much older man standing behind him. "I guess."

"Say, aren't you that Johnson boy?" the man asked.

The boy nodded slightly. "Yes, sir. My name is Thomas, but my friends call me TJ."

"Well, son, they say it's better to talk about things that bother you."

TJ thought for a moment. "Well, I have this problem."

"What's that?"

"I was supposed to get my first Pokemon today and start a journey."

"So what's the problem?" the man asked.

"I overslept," TJ replied sadly.

The old man smiled and reached into his pocket. "I once heard a similar story."

TJ lifted his head. "You did?"

The man nodded. "I think you could use this." He drew his hand out of his pocket, revealing a brand new pokeball.

"Wow! Is that really for me?" TJ asked in disbelief.

"It certainly is, as long as you take good care of it," the old man replied. He placed the pokeball in TJ's outstretched hand. "Now, I'd better lay down some ground rules, because this is no ordinary pokeball."

TJ examined the pokeball. "It looks just like any other pokeball I've seen, sir."

"True, but there is a difference. This pokeball is part of a new cutting-edge technology. Do you know what solar power is, TJ?"

"Yes, sir. It's energy from the sun. What's that have to do with the pokeball?"

"Normally, trainers carry their pokeballs in pockets or bags," the old man explained. However, these special pokeballs must be kept in this case." He held out a medium-sized suitcase.

TJ took it and quickly opened the suitcase. Inside, there were five other pokeballs, each separated from the others by some sort of padding. "You're giving me five Pokemon?" TJ asked slowly.

"No, that wouldn't be fair to the other beginners," the old man said. "You only start with one, like everyone else. Still, by the time you catch five, you'll be a very skilled trainer."

TJ fingered the pokeball in his hand. "So I can only catch five?"

The old man chuckled. "Nonsense! That's what this is for." He tapped the suitcase lightly. Instantly, the suitcase flipped over, revealing another side. Instead of padding, this side contained twenty-five small boxes.

"What are those?" TJ asked.

"That's where you will store your secondary Pokemon. Your six primary ones will remain in the pokeballs to help you capture more. When you need to switch a primary for a secondary, simply press the icon you want to switch. When you hear the chime and the primary's icon replaces the secondary's, the transfer is complete. It usually takes about ten seconds."

"What icons?" TJ asked, staring at the blank boxes.

The old man smiled. "You have to acquire the Pokemon first, my young friend. Their respective icons will begin to appear after you've captured your seventh."

TJ nodded. "So what does all this have to do with solar power?"

The old man snapped his fingers. "I almost forgot! This case absorbs solar energy, filters out the harmful rays, and transfers the energy to the Pokemon inside. That's why you must keep them there at all times when they're not battling."

"Thanks, mister!" TJ exclaimed, reaching up to shake his hand.

"You're very welcome, son," the old man responded, firmly grasping his hand.

TJ waved, picked up the case, and ran off to begin his Pokemon journey.

* * * * *

James and Jessie slowly walked into the spacious office. Behind the desk, in a very large chair, sat their boss, Giovanni. However, there was obviously something wrong with his face, because for the first time since they had joined Team Rocket, the teens could see a wide smile on the man's face.

"Sir, is something wrong?" James asked.

"No, James," Giovanni replied.

"Well, didn't you want to see us?" Jessie asked.

"Yes, I did. Come here."

The pair looked at each other nervously before approaching Giovanni's desk.

"Take a good look at this photo." He slid a framed picture across the desk.

James picked up the frame and stared at the picture inside it. The boy in the picture looked very happy. He was holding a small teddy bear. His green hair and blue eyes seemed to fit his face perfectly. After a few seconds, James handed the picture to Jessie.

"That's my nephew," Giovanni said. "As of this day, he is ten years old. That means he'll be starting his Pokemon journey. I have great plans for him. You two are going to be his...supervisors."

"What do you mean, sir?" James asked.

"Simple," Giovanni said as he pulled out a list. "You'll go to each town on this list and wait for him. When he arrives at the checkpoints, I want very detailed status reports. Tell me what he's encountered, how he got past it, and if he's captured any new Pokemon. Also, be sure that he never sees you."

"But...what if he does see us?" Jessie asked.

Giovanni frowned. "If that happens, you'd better cancel all of your plans. Because if my nephew does see you two, you'd better be prepared to join him on his journey."

Jessie & James winced. They both had vacation time coming up.

Giovanni leaned back in his chair and stuck a cigar in his mouth. "It won't be so bad. Just make sure he's learning everything he needs to and you'll all be fine."

"Yes, sir," James said. "We'll do our best."

"Oh, and one more thing," Giovanni said as they turned to leave. "Leave Meowth here this time. I think you work better as a duo."