Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ 100_Moods ❯ Mood #67: Nervous ( Chapter 67 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: Nervous
Author: Shadow/Phantomness
Pairing: Championshipping (Lance x
Red)
Fandom: Pokémon
Theme: #67, Nervous

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Pokemon belongs to Nintendo and Shogakukan Comics. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me under international copyright laws and taking it is plagiarism. Thank you. *Phantomness bows*
Notes: <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics if a pokemon talks
Warnings: AU, het
 
“Stop fidgeting. It's not helping anyone.” Lance said sternly.
Red flushed at the rebuke. “But I am scared.”
“Red, I know you are scared. Truth be told, none of us are very happy about this. But when you are Elite, you learn not to show your emotions unless it is beneficial. Now is not one of those times.”
Lorelei shot him a sympathetic smile as she squeezed his hand reassuringly behind his back.
A minute later, the trainers entered.
“Ready?” One called arrogantly.
“Ready.” The Elite retorted.
 
Some genius on the Indigo League Governing Council had decided it would be beneficial if the Elite Four were taken down several pegs. It was too difficult to become Champion, they complained. So instead of battling all four Trainers in succession, with their full teams, and then facing Champion Red, there would be one battle. The battle would be five on five, with one Pokémon each from each of the Elite and Champion, and five of the challenger's Pokémon.
It was hardly fair, but things like this almost never were.
Lance smirked as she released Aerodactyl. Lorelei called Jynx to the field, Bruno his Hitmonlee, Agatha her Gengar, and Red his Pikachu, as they faced their opponent.
The other trainer was undaunted, revealing five Pokémon. They were at least fairly well trained.
“Ready… and start!” The referee yelled, bringing his flags down.
 
Lorelei's opening Blizzard was enough to freeze three Pokémon solid, while the two following slammed into the wall upon contact with Hyper Beam. Pikachu fried the opponent's Gyarados, forcing the Trainer to recall it.
The trainer hastily used Full Restore on his Magmar, but in the interval, Hitmonlee's Hi Jump Kick attack smashed the frozen Clefable into unconsciousness. As his Blastoise moved to attack Lance's Aerodactyl with Hydro Pump, Gengar phased into view and used Night Shade, temporarily freezing it in its tracks.
Joe almost fainted as his Pokémon were quickly knocked out.
 
“You know,” The referee said, as he watched the boy troop out, “I see that the Council's ruling changed nothing.”
Lance shrugged. “We are skilled. They just choose not to acknowledge it.”
The man laughed, putting his flags away. “Yes, well, this is why bureaucracy is a failure, isn't it?”
Red beamed, as the Elite left the arena.
 
That night, he knocked on Lance's door apprehensively.
“Come in,” The Dragon Master called. Red tiptoed in, as his ankles sank into plush black carpet.
She glanced up from her desk, shutting down his laptop. “What is it?”
“I just wanted to talk to you.” Red held a platter of vanilla crème cookies before him, almost as a peace offering.
 
Lance smiled. “Did Lorelei help you make these?”
“Yes!” He coughed, turning a bit pale. “Um… Lance…”
“What is it?” She paused, a cookie halfway to her mouth.
“Am I too twitchy? Like a nervous itch?” Red stammered.
“… What?”
She turned around to look at her friend. That was not what she had expected. Had he hit his head or something? It was so out of character!
 
“It's just that, well, what I really want to ask is, are you mad?”
“And why in Lugia's name would I be angry with you?” She asked.
“Because I was scared before our battle today,” He admitted.
She put the cookie down. “Come here.” She said, holding her arms out.
Red hesitated, but then childish instinct took over and he took a few steps towards Lance, before climbing into her lap.
Was it wrong to want to be mothered?
 
“Shh.” Lance just rocked him slowly, and made no move to kiss or caress him, which Red appreciated “It would be hypocritical of me to claim to love you and drop you for such a small thing.”
“I'm just worried.” He sighed.
“I know.”
“I'm not trying to doubt you…”
“You do not need to make excuses, Red. You were hurt badly in the past, and it will take time for you to heal. Don't push yourself.”
Red sighed, and nodded, and said no more.
 
End Fic
Completed 9/20/06
Edited 9/24/09
Red is a very insecure child, isn't he? I think I like him because I tend to be quite insecure myself…
Lance: Ah, you're starting a new themes list
Phantomness: Yes
Shoyko: More work for the poor darkfic muse!
Pika-chan: And the muse of fluff…
Red: And me, the lemons muse… *blush* Well, perhaps not
Lance: *Huggles Red* don't worry, love
Kairo: Unlike the humor muse, who has no job! Oh well…
Phantomness: I'll get to you eventually, never fear.