Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Don't Give Me Diamonds ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Don't Give Me Diamonds

Diamond 11: Give me Strength

"Giovanni?" Delia called unsure, she couldn't see anything.

"I'm here," why would she doubt it? He was holding her hand so they wouldn't be separated in the darkness.

"I know, I just... it's so quiet." The Tempest Gang had attacked their temporary beach-side cave hideout and a raged battle began. At first, Delia could hear the echoes of the fight, even when they began to move away from the collapsed wall of rocks to find another way out of the cavern before they became permanently trapped, but that was over now.

They could no longer hear the noises or feel the earthquakes, which meant the battle inside the cave had ended, though surely it still went on outside, too far to be perceived from their current distance. They were certain that the team made it out, it was the only possibility either of them was willing to accept, Team Rocket wouldn't be defeated so easily, no matter what the Tempest Gang did, they would stay strong. "We'll find a way out."

"I hope so," Delia closed her eyes, she couldn't see anything anyway, and tried to focus on sound, seeking to perceive any sign of a way out. "Do you hear that?"

Giovanni stopped and listened, the soft sound of running water ringing out clearer undisturbed by the sound of their footsteps, "an underground river." They continued carefully, testing the ground, knowing the river was close by judging by the sound, until they got to the edge. Giovanni reached into the water feeling the currents. "This water has to go to the sea, it should lead us out, but the currents are strong."

They couldn't lose now, not when Delia realized how strong Team Rocket was, not when she was feeling so invincible. "I can swim." Normally, she would think twice about jumping into an underground river in the darkness, but they had no time to waste, they had to join their comrades. Team Rocket needed its leader and Delia would be there to help them defeat the evil Tempest Gang as well. "We can make it, I know we can!"

"Then let's go, hold on." They jumped into the river together, being carried away by the strong current. It was very difficult, but they held on to each other, having only fleeting chances to surface against the deadly water to capture small portions of much needed oxygen. It was a life threatening situation many would call terrifying, being so close to drowning in the darkness, pushed by the water and dragged down constantly, not knowing when it would end or how it would end. It was reckless, but those who felt they had all the strength in the world had little room for fear.

Finally, the water turned shallow and the current weakened as the river was spread into many tiny underground streams that had plenty of room to flow and no pressure to make them harsh. With a rush of adrenaline, speedy heartbeats and labored breaths, Giovanni and Delia emerged, wet cold and a little bruised, but alive and energetic despite the recent events.

"We made it... I knew we would..." She was the heroine, the vigilante, she was invincible and so was he. They could not be caught, they could not be defeated, they were Team Rocket.

"That wasn't so bad... it was refreshing..." To look at danger in the face so many times and each time come out victorious, maybe no danger was too great after all.

They examined this new section of the cave. The light was faint, filtering through the cracks in the cave's ceiling, but it was just enough to see, with their eyes having become adjusted to the darkness as well as human eyes could. "The exit has to be close by," a sudden growl made Delia turn towards the sound, "was that a pokemon?"

"It sounds like it's coming this way, but it can't be from Tempest, there's no way they would know we would end up here," Giovanni was sure the Tempest Gang was still at the area at the beach outside the cave. They had to have their hands full with the battle, there was no way they could spare a pokemon to send after them and even less likely that they would be so easily found. "It has to be a wild pokemon."

Giovanni was right as a wild Graveler came into view. "It looks angry," Delia observed. They had no pokemon to battle it, but they wouldn't lose, not now and not ever. She searched her pockets for an empty pokeball she had taken that morning from the supplies, just in case. "I have a pokeball, but I don't think it'll work when he's so strong."

The Graveler charged at them angrily and they dashed in opposite directions, leaving the furious pokemon to slam against the cave wall. "If we could just get him into the water," Giovanni tried to think of a way and though the pokemon was angry enough to recklessly charge walls; it seemed to be sufficiently conscious of its weakness not to approach the cluster of small streams.

They dashed away from the Graveler meeting in the other side of the cave chamber, trying to think of a way to trick the Graveler into approaching the water. "We can do it; we can't let our pokemon do all the fighting all the time."

"You're more reckless than I thought, I like it. Alright, I'll take it on," Giovanni went on the attack, running towards the surprised Graveler, it expected the humans to keep trying to avoid him and attempting to escape.

"Mega punch!" Delia called out as Giovanni attacked the astonished pokemon.

His fist slammed hard into the pokemon's solid surface, a trickle of blood dripping between his knuckles staining his white glove, but he didn't flinch.

The Graveler stepped back, flailing its arms, it certainly didn't expect to have to fight humans, let alone such a strong human. "Tackle!" Delia rushed over full speed.

Taking the opportunity now that the Graveler was dazed by the unexpected attack, Giovanni and Delia ran into him together, pushing the heavy pokemon towards the shallow waters near by. The Graveler roared loudly in protest being exposed to the water.

"Finish it off with mega kick!" Delia called out.

Giovanni kicked the Graveler hard and the previously ferocious rock pokemon fainted defeated.

"Pokeball, go!" Delia tossed the pokeball at the Graveler and captured it. "We did it! We did it!"

"No one can beat me; Team Rocket is ready to take on the world!" Giovanni enjoyed the victorious battle, momentarily forgetting that the war was not over.

Delia picked up the pokeball which now contained Graveler and gave it to Giovanni. "It's yours since you did most of the work playing the part of the pokemon."

Giovanni accepted the pokeball, "it takes a strong trainer to keep up with a strong pokemon," he pulled Delia close suddenly and stole a kiss.

"You may battle like a fighter type but you're still Charmander," Delia whispered under her breath, though she opposed no resistance when he kissed her again, caught in the feeling of victory and the rush of invincibility.

"Score!"

"Shh!"

"Sorry dudes..."

Giovanni and Delia quickly parted, searching for the source of the voices with the scarce light that filtered into the cave. "For how long have you been there?" Giovanni demanded to know.

"Um..." Luke thought he had said enough for the time being.

It was Aayla who stepped forward to answer. "Around the time Delia said mega punch."

The confession was followed by cheers from the crowd at the entrance to the cave chamber. Some just yelled in joy, various cheered for Team Rocket and their boss, and others professed their loyalty and admiration.

Binks stepped forward, handing Delia back her pokemon egg as if he had been awarded the greatest honor by being able to carry it for a while.

"I have news," Aayla was pleased to inform, "The Tempest Gang is in big trouble, after a while their super strong pokemon started fainting and some looked like they were in a very critical condition, they must have overdosed them too much. With so many pokemon sick and injured, I'm sure their forces are very weak. They went on the run, probably back to their base. Leah is tracking them and will meet us in point A."

Leah had wanted to make up for her panic during the attack and also wanted to get away for a while after her terror for earthquakes was revealed. Plus she was the sneakiest and most easily overlooked, also being a great strategist, she was ideal for a tracking mission that required no confrontations.

Delia was shocked by the revelation and most of all angered at Tempest, thinking about their poor pokemon. Giovanni saw this as the perfect opportunity to finish off the Tempest Gang once and for all. "Now is the time to take them down. Team Rocket will storm the Tempest Gang base and make it our own!"

xoxox xox xoxox

Team Rocket advanced towards Viridian City, since the Tempest Gang had headed in that general direction. After the hostage situation reported in the forest, it was suspicious that they would go that way, there might still be police officers searching the area, if only to calm the citizens of Viridian City. None the less, that was where their prey headed and they would follow until they crushed their enemy.

They met in the outskirts of the city, deep in the forest on the spot they would have gone to if escape plan A had been put into effect. Leah was waiting there with the news. "The Tempest Gang's headquarters," Leah spoke softly, but this time everyone heard her, "is the Viridian City Gym." Gasps of surprise were shared by a few, while others simply stared.

Suddenly it all made sense to Giovanni. Amethyst must have been with the Tempest Gang all along. She must have recognized them with information from Venom. She played nice to delay them so that the Tempest Gang could plan an attack while the leader of Team Rocket was away. "We need to get them as soon as possible; we can't give them time to recover! It's too much of a risk doing the day, we'll attack tonight."

There was unanimous agreement among Team Rocket, but for the time being all they could do was wait. Leah made another trip to Viridian, returning with food and drinks. While a few stood guard around the area, the others slept and rested. They had traveled for a long time to the forest and they had to regain their strength for their next mission.

xoxox xox xoxox

Diamond 12: Give me Friendship

Hiding in the Viridian Forest, Delia couldn't decide if she was restless or excited. She snuck away from the group for a while, to join Leah in her lonely spot not too far away. "Are you alright? Maybe you should sleep; we have an important mission tonight."

"I shouldn't have panicked," Leah spoke softly. "I thought I was over that."

"It's alright," Delia consoled, "everyone has their own fears."

"I won't let it happen again; somehow I won't, because I'll forget," Delia wasn't sure what Leah was talking about, maybe it was something in her past.

Aayla soon joined them, releasing Haunter from his pokeball. "Ghastly evolved into Haunter during that last fight with Tempest so he should be stronger now, but what if it's too much?" The conversation puzzled Delia.

"Please proceed," Leah requested. Aayla glanced at Delia and Leah nodded, "it's alright, I don't mind if Delia knows."

"Okay, here goes, Haunter you remember how to do it, right? Just like before, use hypnosis on Leah," Aayla commanded.

Delia watched in surprise as Leah was willingly hypnotized by Haunter. When the hypnosis was over, Leah looked calmer; any sign of being upset was gone. "Thank you," she smiled, "I feel much better now. I'm going to get some sleep so I'm ready for the mission."

"Got it, go get some rest," Aayla recalled Haunter into his pokeball and glanced around, confirming that the tree they were sitting under had shielded them well enough from the guards. They were all teammates and Leah was slowly starting to become more open, but it was not good if unnecessary questions were asked.

"Aayla..." Delia's expression was full of puzzlement after Leah had left.

Aayla shook her head as if disapproving her own actions. "She wants to believe they're the same; that Han never died or perhaps never existed."

Delia grew more perplexed, "Han?"

"She said it was okay for you to know, that means she wants me to tell you. I know it doesn't look it at first glance, but Leah and I are good friends," Aayla explained. "It's the same as it was with you; I thought she was weak until she proved what a good strategist she is. You've proven yourself too, you're brave and resourceful, but also kind and loyal; that's why you have my respect."

"Thank you," Delia smiled, "to be honest I thought you were intimidating at first, but now I think you're really cool and I admire you."

"Thanks, but I think your coolness surpasses all, I'll never forget seeing the boss being used as a pokemon. That only made everyone idolize him more, but I also realized he was right, a strong pokemon needs a strong trainer. I think everyone is seeing that in you too, that determination that makes us feel like we're invincible, that's what they see in Giovanni."

"My opinion of him was pretty bad at first but I think I've gotten to like him little by little," Delia's restlessness seemed to evaporate talking to Aayla so casually, but she was still curious about Leah.

As if seeing the question written on Delia's face, Aayla revealed the full story. "Leah is shy, it took a lot for her to tell me her story and ask for help. You've earned her trust, but it's still hard for her to talk to people about her past so that's why she wanted me to tell you, she wouldn't have let you witness that if she didn't."

Delia listened intently.

"Leah used to live at Fuchsia City and went vacationing all over the world often; she was from a rather privileged family. She met Han in Cinnabar Island and they became friends, then a couple. Han was Luke's identical twin brother; Han, like his brother, loved adventure. One day, Han and Leah were planning to explore a cave, but Luke had a bad feeling about it. Leah brushed it off and they went. That day there was an earthquake which caused a cave in and I don't know the full details, but Han died. She felt guilty and heartbroken, as if it was all her fault for not listening to Luke and because Han tried to protect her," Aayla revealed.

When Delia had become curious about the reason behind Leah's request to be hypnotized, she didn't expect such a tragedy to be revealed. She was guessing that it was to help her relax or something like that. "I had no idea..."

"You know what they say, everyone has their own past. What about yours?" Aayla asked.

"My past is nothing complicated. I lived a normal life without any big problems. As soon as I was old enough, I started studying pokemon with Professor Oak at Pallet Town. I was doing an internship at the Pokemon Center in Cerulean City when we first met and you know the rest."

"How dull, I bet you're really having fun now," Aayla laughed, trying to lighten the mood.

"I never thought I would be having so many adventures, I never thought it was even possible. Maybe deep down I've always longed to be some kind of heroine and that's why I had to follow you guys. I thought you were the villains I had to stop, but that has changed a lot now. You're the good guys, the Tempest Gang is bad. What about your past?"

"I've always been a troublemaker for as long as I can remember. Then I hooked up with Tempest and thought I found my place," Aayla confessed. "I was Venom's second in command," not to mention his lover, but Aayla decided no one needed to know that part. "I did a lot for the Tempest Gang, then one day they abandoned me to be caught by the police at the Pokemon Center in Pewter City when we were stealing the pokemon. I'll never forget what Venom said 'a big sacrifice is justified by a bigger reward,' I don't know what that meant but he betrayed me. I managed to escape on my own and I'm out for revenge. I hate Tempest, that's why I joined Team Rocket."

Aayla's was another past story that made Delia very different in comparison, as if she came from a sheltered world and perhaps she did. "Wow, I don't know what to say, everyone has such complex pasts."

"Everyone? You've only heard two, three if you count Luke since his past is linked to Leah's. I bet Binks' past is simple," Aayla theorized.

"I wonder..." They nodded in agreement and went to find Binks.

Binks was brushing his precious Rattata. The pokemon was quite weak but Binks adored it. He looked up at the approaching women as he sat on the ground and began to get nervous when they stood left and right of him. "Are you two here to beat me up?"

"Of course not," Delia assured. "We're just curious about your past."

"My past?" Binks looked confused.

"Yeah, how did you join Team Rocket and why?" Aayla elaborated.

"That's easy, I joined to be strong! I originally wanted to be a researcher but the professors with whom I tried to apprentice always ended up firing me. I got nervous and dropped things; they said I was too clumsy. Whenever I tried to catch a pokemon to study it on my own, it would beat me up; I didn't have any pokemon to send to battle so I fought them myself. It's not that I never had any pokemon, it's just that the pokemon I was given would beat me up and run away when I called them out to battle," Binks confessed in embarrassment.

"How pathetic," Aayla commented.

"But you're doing better now!" Delia tried to cheer him up.

"Yeah, I guess I am," Binks saw a ray of hope again. "One day I saw a bunch of Rattata that were picking on another Rattata. I felt sorry for her so I jumped to the rescue and got beat up, but thanks to the distraction, this Rattata got away. She later returned as if to thank me and we've been together ever since."

"So how did you end up in Team Rocket?" Aayla repeated.

"Oh well, it was random. I just ran into Giovanni one day, well not literally, more like I saw him and thought he looked dangerous, like a gang boss. He looked strong so I thought he would beat me up, that's what all the tough guys I was unfortunate enough to find did. But he didn't beat me up; he just kept walking as if he didn't see me!" Binks was somehow filled with adoration.

"He probably didn't see you or thought you weren't worth it," Aayla concluded.

"I don't know, but it was really cool to cross paths with someone who looked so strong and not get beat up. I wanted to be strong too, that's why I ran after him and said 'please let me join you to become strong like you!' he laughed at me so I thought for sure he was going to beat me up, but he didn't. He let me tag along and join the gang, Luke and Leah were already there, then Aayla joined, then a bunch of other people joined and then Delia joined and who knows who else will join," Binks was full of hope for the future, though the path to accomplishing his goal of becoming strong was unclear, all he knew was that he would stay with Team Rocket.

"There you have it, a pathetic and dull past, I told you they weren't all tragic, well it was kind of tragic, but in a different way," Aayla shook her head at Binks, she expected something uncool, but this was pitiful. "I'll be getting some rest now, see you around."

"See ya," Delia watched Aayla walk away, feeling a little closer to her as a friend, it was the same for Leah, Luke and Binks now that she knew more about their origins. "Bye Binks, I'll see you on the mission briefing."

"Yeah, I'll be there!" Binks cheered.

Delia spotted Luke talking to his pokemon, both of which had evolved, and walked over to him. "Wow, your pokemon look strong!"

"Dudette, they totally are, they're like fully evolved, you know?" Luke appeared to be very eager to try out his pokemon's new strength. "Tentacool evolved into Tentacruel like fighting the Tempest Gang, you know? Aayla's Ghastly like evolved into Haunter too, you know? It was like totally awesome, man!"

"The team's pokemon are so much stronger now, this is great," Delia was filled with confidence.

"It sure is, dudette!" Luke smiled brightly. "I like found a water stone for Poliwhirl to evolve into Poliwrath, you know? It was like in the chest where the uniforms were at the beach, I like totally forgot I saved it there, you know? Man, those guys messed up my fav place, they'll like totally pay!"

"They will, we'll make it happen!" Delia wished the time to turn the tides in their favor would come fast. Those terrible criminals from the Tempest Gang couldn't be allowed to cause more damage.

"You like totally said it, dudette!" Luke seemed cheerful one second, then sad the next, "I hope Leah's like alright and I hope she can like become stronger, you know? Move on, man."

"Move on?" Delia wondered if Luke knew about the hypnotism, but if he did, how could he allow that? Aayla wasn't really helping Leah by encouraging it either. Perhaps they just didn't want to see Leah in pain and did whatever they could to help, even if it didn't help in the long run.

"Sorry dudette, I like have a big mouth, you know?" Luke wanted to take his words back.

Delia already knew about Leah's past so she assured him that he had not revealed too much, "I know about Leah and about Han."

"Oh, you know?" Luke was a bit surprised but also felt relief. "I'm like a memento," he observed Delia's puzzled expression. "I'm like a reminder of my brother, I think, because we were like totally the copy of each other. It was hard, you know? Like losing my other half, but Leah's worse off, she can't face it. I don't mind having her around, but I totally don't want to be like used to like replace my brother's memory, you know?"

"It'll be okay, we'll help her through it. When this battle is over and we have a little time to ourselves, you, Aayla and I will help Leah!" Delia encouraged.

"Thanks dudette, but Aayla? Does she like even get along with Leah?" Luke was surprised by that.

Delia was even more so perplexed because he didn't know, "they're better friends than it looks," clearly Luke was unaware of the hypnotism part and Delia kept it a secret. When peace was restored to their world, they would make everything right little by little, until each of them had their happy ending; that was what Delia believed.

xoxox xox xoxox

Diamond 13: Give me Honesty

It was after talking to several of her teammates that Delia realized how much knowledge she had been missing before. She still didn't know anything about Giovanni's past and she was intent on finding out. She spotted him not far away, at the same time he saw her. They closed the distance meeting half way, "I was looking for you."

"So was I," he replied, "for a second I thought you ran off."

"If I was going to run away, I would have done it a long time ago. I'm not leaving the team," Delia assured.

Giovanni was pleased by her eagerness, "that's good, but I was actually worried that you ran off to take on the enemy by yourself. You're full of surprises."

Delia laughed, she surprised even herself sometimes. "Can we go a little way into the forest, not too far, just..."

"Somewhere more private?" He offered and she nodded. They walked a short distance away from the group, but not too far to leave their general area, it was just enough distance not to have eavesdroppers.

They sat under a tree close to each other, though Delia was quick to make a clarification, "stay cool Charmander, I asked you to come with me so I could ask you something."

He wondered what she could possibly want to ask about. Many possibilities came to mind, but he found them all unlikely, "what is it?"

"Will you tell me about your past?" Delia wondered if it was supposed to be a secret for some reason.

"My past?"

"Yes, for example, where were you born?" Delia elaborated, throwing out a basic question.

"Saffron City," Giovanni replied easily, proving that at least that piece of information was not a big secret.

Delia nodded and waited, but Giovanni only looked at her a little puzzled, "what else can you tell me about your past? Do you have family in Saffron City?"

"We don't really get along," Giovanni paused coming to a realization, "you really don't know... Most gangs on the street already know this, but I guess you grew up differently. It's no big secret, my mother is known as Madame Boss in the eastern region, a lot of the smaller gangs there work for her even if they're not an official part of her organization. She's mostly occupied with trading goods and isn't interested in unifying the gangs and establishing real power. I left to form my own organization, everyone thought I would take over her position, but I can obtain my own power. I've cut all ties with her side of the black market. As for my father, I never met him."

Madame Boss, the name sounded familiar, some kind of lady from the mafia? Had her name been spoken on the news before? "It must have been difficult to grow up like that..."

"Maybe by your definition."

"My definition?" Delia didn't think her definition of a difficult childhood was much different from anyone else's.

"You were pretty sheltered," he reminded as a matter of fact.

She sighed remembering her life when it was devoid of adventure. "I suppose you're right. Tell me the truth, when you first saw me, what did you think of me? Be honest."

Giovanni remembered their first meeting, "I thought you were weak but had some guts at least. Then when you came after us and insisted on joining I thought you were either crazy or stupid, maybe both."

"Hey!" She punched him on the arm and pouted, though she then laughed, "thanks for your honesty, what else? When did that improve?"

"You worked really hard caring for the pokemon; that was helpful for Team Rocket. Why was it that you didn't escape?"

"If I wasn't there to care for the pokemon, who would? Someone has to set things right," Delia remembered she was trapped, locked up at first, but more so prisoner of the call of duty to have mercy on those pokemon. She remembered feeling desperate at some point, but it all went away when she started looking at Team Rocket from a different point of view. Maybe she overanalyzed everything far too many times or perhaps it was true that there was no good or bad in the world, no right or wrong, only different points of view.

"After a while, I saw you as useful," Giovanni continued. His voice brought Delia back to the present and the memories faded away. Waking up she felt his warmth next to her and cuddled closer, not because she was cold, but perhaps unconsciously seeking comfort. "And cute," he finished.

"I think I noticed that," Delia remembered the time when her unwilling beach holiday was interrupted by Gyarados.

"You've proven to be brave and kind of reckless, it's not what I expected for someone who has such a kind side, you're pretty hard to figure out sometimes, but I've enjoyed your surprises," Giovanni admitted.

"There were many times when I was scared," Delia confessed, "we didn't have the best first meeting, I thought you were evil. I didn't like you at all at first, I thought you were terrible, but I guess I was too busy being afraid for the pokemon to be afraid for myself. Then I realized you were more than just a careless pokemon trained and gang leader..."

"What was I then?"

Though he expected her description to turn more pleasant at that time, it did not, "an egotistical jerk... but that improved later. When the police chased us I was really scared, but not of you, I was scared of the police and most of all myself."

"Yourself?" That was unexpected.

She nodded, "I doubted that I was doing the right thing by challenging the law like that, but I kept thinking it was for a good cause. Running away together was exhausting, but it also helped me clear my head. The team really looks up to you, realizing that," she blushed, "made me see a different side of you. It also felt like an adventure after all that happened and I guess somewhere along the way I must have started to trust you."

"You're not too hard to trust, you're too nice at times, but you have your wild side."

"I think I like being adventurous," Delia yawned as exhaustion finally caught up to her. "We better rest," she felt more relaxed now, despite the situation. She was still full of curiosity, but talking to Giovanni was easier than she expected and that made her feel relieved enough to fall asleep.

xoxox xox xoxox

"The police are coming!" The sun had started to sink in horizon and soon it would be time for their mission, but the team's rest was interrupted when those currently standing watch alerted their companions as fast and quietly as possible. "They didn't see me but they're close, they'll probably be here in a few minutes, the Growlithe might have picked up our scent already!"

Delia wasn't sure for how long she slept, but with her adrenaline on high, a couple of hours were enough to fully energize her again. "This time we're too suspicious," they were in a different location and in their Team Rocket uniforms. There was no way they could trick the officers in this area into thinking they were just a harmless group of friends.

"Everyone, climb up on the trees, have the pokemon help, we need to stay out of their view," without questioning Giovanni's orders the team began to climb, some skillfully, others clumsily, and several relying on their pokemon to help them get up the trees.

"Let Ivysaur out, her vine whip can help people get up on the trees faster," Delia suggested.

"Ivysaur doesn't have vine whip," Giovanni had cut it off and used it to tie up Delia when they first met and if it was going to grow back; it would take a very long time.

"You didn't even check to see if I had properly treated her. She's fully healed, she can use vine whip just fine," Delia assured, feeling a cold chill at the memory, but it was okay, she was there now; she would make sure Giovanni didn't make such foolish sacrifices.

"Well then, good job," Giovanni released Ivysaur and ordered the pokemon to help everyone get up the trees, then proceeded with the next part of his improvised plan. "Leah, have Butterfree spread a small amount of sleep powder on the ground and the base of the trees, not too much, the idea is to make the Growlithe drowsy without making them sleepy enough for the police to catch on."

"I understand," Leah got to work with her pokemon right away.

"Aayla, have Haunter on stand by to use hypnosis if it looks like any of the Growlithe or police are on to something, but he must stay hidden at all costs, even if it means a long range less effective attack," Giovanni ordered.

"Got it," Aayla nodded.

"Binks, Ben, let out Rattata and Pidgey, those pokemon are not rare in this area and can serve as a distraction if needed," Giovanni continued.

"Yes sir!" The two men saluted in unison and released their pokemon, quickly explaining the plan to them.

Giovanni was the last to climb up on a tree after all the orders were given and the plan was set up; then they waited quietly. They couldn't take on the police now; they needed to save their strength to fight the Tempest Gang and take the Viridian City Gym from them.

A chorus of "Growlithe!" was heard approaching. Three police trained pokemon sniffed around, their senses numbed by the sleep powder. They could not perceive the fresh trail anymore and when they searched for it, it just made them feel more tired. In puzzlement, they stopped sniffing around that area, which was interpreted by the group of officers accompanying them as the area being clear.

Officer Jenny, the same Jenny who had witnessed the false hostage situation before, sighed in frustration. "It's useless to patrol the forest like this, they got away from us a long time ago," though the patrols still calmed the citizens at least.

"We tracked them as far as the mountains and lost them there, so we know the hostage situation was part of something bigger. Maybe the woman who was taken knew too much," an older male officer theorized, he was clearly exhausted from the long hours of work, but held a strong enough interest in his job not to complain about the overtime.

Jenny agreed, "I think you're right and that's what worries me the most. If by now we haven't heard anything, they might not be interested in ransom after all."

"Do you think she's already...?" A young officer, asked, he looked as if this was his first big case and he was not yet used to the complicated twists situations could take.

Jenny bit her lip and nodded bitterly, "I'll admit, the chances of her still being alive are slim, but there are also still some details that don't make sense. If they weren't being chased at first, why were they in such a hurry? It has been said it was because of the fight happening in the mountains where the fire took place, but what were the details of those events and why was the hostage being rushed over there? Was she part of some kind of deal? Maybe one gang was threatened to hand her over to another, but why?"

"Who was she anyway? Is her identity still unknown? I thought we had a lead," the older officer inquired.

Jenny shook her head, her expression remaining frustrated. "it was a dead end, but at least we know who he is, Giovanni Roketto, the son of Madame Boss, but her side has denied any involvement and we don't have sufficient proof. If you ask me, everyone down at the station is just scared!"

"The mafia is dangerous..." the statement from the youngest of the police group was met with a disapproving look from Jenny, which spoke louder than words.

Up in the tree Giovanni was feeling frustrated that his actions were linked to his mother rather than Team Rocket. He hated to admit it, but Team Rocket was just a band of troublemakers that paled in comparison to Madame Boss' complex organization, but that would change soon. Defeating their main rival the Tempest Gang, was the first step and from there they would take on every gang in the area, extending their territory and their power. Team Rocket would reign supreme and by far surpass Madame Boss.

Jenny took a moment to calm her annoyance at feeling so helpless to solve the case, "maybe if we knew the hostage's identity we could understand the situation better. It would be odd for it to be a case of an innocent hostage randomly caught up in a gang fight, the scenario doesn't fit."

"Are you sure the lead wasn't right?" The oldest officer just couldn't let it go.

"Um... what was her name again?" The younger one was almost afraid to asked, a little ashamed to have forgotten that detail.

"Delia Ketchum, we searched the Kanto citizen databases looking for a matching picture and I was sure it was her who I saw. I guess the seriousness of the situation must have played a trick on my senses, she was just a look alike, a good citizen, no criminal record what so ever," Jenny replied.

Delia had been growing nervous up in the tree, she was holding her precious pokemon egg securely, sitting on a large branch next to Giovanni. She glanced at him meaningfully and he nodded to assure her that she was on the clear, though he didn't know how.

Jenny continued her explanation seeing as the other officers still looked puzzled about why she abandoned her theory concerning the hostage's identity. "It couldn't have been her; she was studying with Professor Oak of Pallet Town. We researched Miss Ketchum's background and found she was a student. We contacted Professor Oak to see if he had any clues, but he testified that on the day and time when the hostage situation occurred, Miss Ketchum was there, in Pallet Town, helping him conduct some research. Professor Oak said she left to continue her field studies; she was already gone when we contacted him. But he mentioned that he received a video call from Miss Ketchum on the morning of the day we spoke to him. That's why it can't be her."

No one could be in two places at once and if the well recognized pokemon researcher Samuel Oak said his student was in the laboratory the day of the hostage scene, she was believed to have been there. He would have no motivation to lie in the eyes of the police and his good reputation preceded him. It made Delia wonder just how much Professor Oak knew about her situation to have covered for her like that.

"I guess this area is clear," Jenny finally decided to move on.

Giovanni had started to worry that the Growlithe would discover them if they stayed any longer. He looked at Delia silently, but that was enough for her to understand that he too was curious about what Jenny had said about Oak.

"Growlithe, growl!" One of the pokemon seemed to find something beyond the feeling of drowsiness and the officers were once again alert.

A silent signal from Giovanni to the neighboring tree brought Binks and Ben to in turn signal their pokemon who were hiding in the bushes watching and waiting. Rattata and Pidgey were not rare in the area, thus the Growlithe had been ignoring their scent.

"Rattata!" Rattata ran towards the suspecting Growlithe and dashed past him followed by Pidgey. The two pokemon began to fight, effectively causing a distraction.

"It's probably over a berry or territory, we should leave these wild ones alone," Jenny assumed the scent the Growlithe had picked up belong to those two pokemon and nothing more. "Let's go Growlithe, we're done here." The group of officers and their pokemon finally left.

xoxox xox xoxox

Diamond 14: Give me Justice

After waiting a while, to be safe, Team Rocket slowly climbed down from the trees, the danger had passed for now. They gathered around for instructions, the sun had already gone down and darkness invaded the thick forest making the multiple shades of green appear much darker.

As Giovanni spoke, everyone paid full attention, "defeat every trainer you find and take their pokemon, but don't wait to advance, if a trainer is found, two will stay and the rest will move forward, the two will catch up after the battle is over. They must have pokemon in storage and we can't give them a chance to call them all out. The groups will be balanced, each will have pokemon of different types, make sure to use those advantages in battle." From that point on he assigned the respective teams and they made the final preparations for the battle against the Tempest Gang.

xoxox xox xoxox

It was a moonless night, which provided extra cover for Team Rocket as they snuck towards the Viridian Gym and jumped over the fence noiselessly. The lights moved in even patterns, they stopped and observed them, then continued when the alignment was ideal to sneak past. They crossed the large yard and training ground, eluding the guards and reaching the back door.

Delia felt the rush of adrenaline and power she had become acquainted with lately return to her. At first she was a little worried about leaving the pokemon egg alone hidden in the forest, but when the hour of truth came, she was focused on the mission. The egg had been with her for a long time and it was fine, it would be alright hidden by itself for a while, it was safer than bringing it along into enemy territory.

Picking the lock was easy since several members of Team Rocket had been robbers before joining. As planned, Delia and Giovanni went on ahead, quietly sneaking through the dark gym's halls. Strangely, the inside was quite deserted; it didn't look like a gang's hideout at all.

Even if the place was bigger than Team Rocket's old hideout had been, and taking into consideration that several of Tempest's members might have dropped out after their battle with Team Rocket left them in defeat, the lack of activity was still suspicious, they might be hiding somewhere.

The contrast between the Viridian Gym and the old Team Rocket hideout made Giovanni think there was much more to it than they thought. Back in his old hideout there wasn't a moment of silence, someone was always walking around even in the middle of the night, getting a glass of water, trying to alleviate insomnia or simply not in the mood to sleep.

Giovanni and Delia saw a light at the end of the hall, filtering through a door that was only open a crack. They slowed their pace and he approached the door, taking a quick peek inside and retreating immediately so as to not be seen. He didn't see anyone and tried again, this time taking a better look at the room; it was empty, though the light was left on.

A noise, as if a heavy sliding door was being moved sounded off, but it was the wall that was moving, revealing a secret passage from which one man exited. Giovanni called out Ivysaur, "vine whip, tie him up."

Before the man knew what was going on, Ivysaur had captured him, wrapping her vine whip over his mouth to prevent him from alerting anyone of their presence.

"I wonder if he will tell us anything about that passage..." Giovanni indirectly asked and the man's angry muffled noises were enough of an answer. "I didn't think so."

"Giovanni," Delia pouted, as if warning him not to use vine whip as a rope again.

Giovanni hit the man on the back of the head instead and knocked him out. "You can let go now Ivysaur, return." Delia made sure the unknown man was really knocked out, but still breathing, before following Giovanni through the secret passage.

The dark passage was filled with echoes from below, angry growls and agonizing cries. They went down to a dimly lit basement filled with pokemon in cages; it broke Delia's heart to see the suffering pokemon.

"You just look worse now," a woman's voice was heard causing Giovanni and Delia to stop and take cover behind a row of cages. "This wasn't what I had in mind, ever since Giovanni ruined your face, you've only gotten uglier. How unpleasant and I even had to play nice with him and his girl to buy you some time. Not just that, but you never returned my Nidoqueen."

"I'm afraid your Nidoqueen has passed away, but it was for a good cause, the process of elimination was completed faster," a man replied.

"This is not what I wanted, oh what am I to do..." She paused, as Giovanni and Delia moved closer behind the cages and identified her, she was Amethyst. "Stupid pokemon, they're giving me a headache and they're so ugly too, all scratched, scarred and bruised. Beauty, riches, fame and power, the first and second I have granted, the third is easy to get but the forth, real power... are you failing me? I don't think I like you anymore, anyone can see your strategy is poor, most of the pokemon are dead and all so you could become this hideous creature?" Amethyst tugged her long golden hair behind her ear, her delicate nose wrinkled in disgust, her violet eyes angry. "You're not worthy of me anymore, why did you do this to yourself? Why make yourself so much worse than the state he left you in?"

"In the end, beauty is fleeting and power is more important," the man remained out of Giovanni and Delia's line of view. His voice sounded like growls, they didn't recognize it at all.

"I'm breaking up with you, but I'm sure you already knew that, coming out of the lower levels looking like that. You nearly gave me a heart attack! I suppose I could keep you as a minion," Amethyst voiced. They went out another exit up some stairs.

"What a spoiled brat you are, thinking you can have anything you want. I abandoned Aayla for you; left her to be caught by the police because of your stupid jealousy even if I said we broke up. She's with Team Rocket now, do you have any idea how much that bothers me? Now you want to make me your minion? Don't make me laugh, it's about time I ended your annoyance."

The argument continued in the upper floor, it was the battle arena of the Viridian Gym. A horrified scream echoed as sharp metal claws slit Amethyst's throat, her body fell limp, a pool of blood spreading on the floor, her face had a frozen expression of terror.

"Giovanni, I know you're there," the growling voice yelled towards the passage leading from the arena to the basement, "come out, there's no use in hiding, the same goes for your little friend who doesn't follow the rules. I can sense everything around me, the sounds, the scents; it's something a mere human wouldn't understand."

Giovanni and Delia came out of the passage, up to the gym's battle arena where at the opposite side Amethyst lay dead and next to her body there was a strange being. Noise had flooded the gym; Team Rocket was now battling the Tempest Gang after they came out from their underground base, a maze of passages.

The creature's face was distorted with propounding sharp metallic fangs and scaly skin. A patch of cyan hair still remained atop his head, crowned with four metal horns, sharp like knives. He had long claws as if he had three large daggers in place of fingers on each hand. "I am Venom, the leader of the Tempest Gang," he growled.

"I don't know what you've done to yourself, but this doesn't change anything, Team Rocket is taking over the Viridian Gym!" Giovanni never thought he would face an opponent like this, he never thought one could exist, but they had come too far and Team Rocket would find a way to be victorious.

"Let's play by the rules this time; it will be more enjoyable," Venom growled. "It was a surprising visit, I never thought you would come here, I'll admit I didn't expect it at all, but you will regret it. This time, we will not fight each other until the last of our pokemon falls, I want you to watch your weak pokemon fail and die before I end your life. First your pokemon, then your girl, then I'll torture you for a while and finally, I'll give you death, isn't that the perfect plan? Or maybe I should keep the girl; she might make an interesting guinea pig."

"Shut up!" Giovanni yelled, "there's no way you'll win this. Rhyhorn, Grabbler, Ivysaur!" Giovanni let out all his pokemon.

"Cloyster, Kingler!" Delia released her pokemon as well.

"Is that all you have? Alright then, my turn, I'll start with something weak, just to give your pathetic pokemon a warm up. I got this from Amethyst a little while before you arrived. Go Machoke! As you can see, this one is still in its natural state so it's weak. All five of your trash can attack at once if you wish," Venom laughed cruelly. "Come on, slaughter it, it's the only win you'll have, consider it all the mercy you're getting from me!"

Delia felt more anger than ever before, she couldn't and didn't want to believe that people like Venom existed in the world. That being could not be allowed to run free causing so much harm. She had convinced herself that karma was strong and justice would prevail, now was the time to prove it. "Machoke, please leave your trainer and come join us." Rhyhorn roared as if encouraging Machoke and soon the other pokemon joined in their words of persuasion.

"Machoke!" The pokemon, who had been staring at Amethyst's lifeless form, made his way to the other side of the field and stood on the far right facing Venom. Machoke knew from the start Venom was not to be trusted, but Amethyst could not understand Machoke's warnings and simply ordered him to cease the senseless chatter, or recalled him to his pokeball. She wasn't the best trainer and often mistreated Machoke, but he cared for her and wanted to avenge her.

Next to Machoke was Rhyhorn, who used to be Venom's pokemon and was thirsty for revenge for how he treated her. Ivysaur was next, having endured much in her life, but ready to loyally battle. Grabbler stood ready, holding a special pride in following the orders of the trainer that had defeated him personally.

Delia's pokemon stood to the left of Giovanni's; Cloyster, eternally grateful to Delia who had nursed him and given him the gift of evolution and with it the power to repay her. Finally, there was Kingler, who did not regret his choice of wanting to be trained by Delia; he stood ready and willing to do whatever it might take to win.

"Traitor!" Venom roared, crushing Machoke's empty pokeball in his hand. "It doesn't matter; I'll show you true power!" He readied another pokemon, this one can take them all on; you'll all die!"

xoxox xox xoxox

Diamond 15: Give me Victory

Giovanni and Delia were facing Venom, the leader of the Tempest Gang, while the rest of Team Rocket battled his minions all over the Viridian Gym. Their pokemon, Cloyster, Kingler, Ivysaur, Graveler, Rhyhorn and the new Machoke, stood ready to face any pokemon that emerged from Venom's pokeball.

A loud roar echoed as the dragon pokemon appeared surrounded in a red beam of light projected from the pokeball. It was a fierce looking Dragonite with strange silver wires wrapped around him and a machine on his back, armored in thick shiny iron. The pokemon's eyes glowed a bright red and it looked truly furious, shaking with rage, involuntary low growls escaping it.

"Go Dragonite, destroy them all!" Venom ordered with great confidence, pointing at his enemies with his sharp dagger-like claws, "hyper beam!"

The dangerous hyper beam charged faster then Delia and Giovanni expected in a big blinding light. The two humans felt the beam's heat as if it reached them, but it had not, their six pokemon had received the impact protecting them. All six were bruised and cut, though the battle was only beginning. Graveler and Rhyhorn had taken the front of their improvised barrier, having the strongest natural body armor, but they along with their pokemon comrades, had suffered the effects of the devastating attack all the same.

"It's hopeless!" Venom exclaimed, his eyes wild, his voice cocky and mocking.

"I'm not giving up, I'll win this!" Giovanni knew the odds were terribly against him, but losing was simply not an option, the only way to live now was to win. "Ivysaur razor leaf! Graveler earthquake! Rhyhorn tail whip! Machoke rolling kick!"

Seeing the strategy to knock Dragonite down, Delia sent out her pokemon as well to create a distraction, an invasion of bubbles to slow Dragonite and make the other's movements harder to perceive, "Kingler bubble! Cloyster bubble beam!"

Ivysaur's leaves surrounded Dragonite, bouncing off his skin without effect. Graveler caused the arena to shake, but Dragonite, despite being unable to fly due to his deteriorated wings, thin and full of holes, stood firm and unaffected. Rhyhorn ran towards Dragonite, evolving into Rhydon mid way through the arena and delivering a powerful hit, yet Dragonite only batted Rhydon away. Rhydon fell a few feet away, but got up immediately, with a strength and determination to continue battling.

The arena was flooded with bubbles, which seemed to at least annoy Dragonite, though the dragon pokemon went back to being unaffected soon after, ignoring the bubbles and focusing his angry look on the two opposing trainers. Machoke charged in and kicked Dragonite, suffering the fame fate as Rhydon who, not satisfied with the lack of effect of her first attacked, repeated it, though the with the same result.

"They're all so weak, there's no way you'll win. Don't you know that if you want strong pokemon you need to make them strong? Am I the only one who understands this?" Venom growled, "no one else comprehends such greatness, not you, not Amethyst, no one!" He looked down on the pokemon and trainers who dared to oppose him, believing himself to be far superior.

Machoke roared in protest and wildly charged towards Venom in anger, he was the cause of Amethyst's death, an irreparable tragedy. Dragonite blocked Machoke's path, tossing him against the wall on the side of the arena.

"What's wrong? Do you recognize that name, weak little pokemon? Of course you don't, pokemon are too stupid to know what happens around them," Venom mocked, "even if I tell you I killed her, you wouldn't understand!"

Machoke let out a cry of anger and agony and surrounded by a bright glow like Rhyhorn had before, he evolved into Machamp with the intensity of his thirst for vengeance and hatred for the cruel human.

"You're wrong Venom, pokemon do understand what's happening. They might even be able to understand the world better than humans. That's why we study them, to try to understand them and learn from them!" Delia yelled; her emotions then were indescribable. Anger and sadness all at once, being shaped into a desperate need to do something to change this, and that need fueled her determination not to give up.

"Team Rocket is the ultimate power of this world. You're about to see it for yourself Venom!" Giovanni glared at him in anger, his pokemon were losing and he knew it, but they couldn't back down now, there had to be some way to win, an unforeseen strategy that would work. Giovanni knew Dragonite was superior in strength to all his pokemon and Delia's put together, so he would have to make up for it with a good strategy. "Ivysaur vine whip!"

"Cloyster, Kingler, blizzard!" The snow storm conjured by the two water pokemon raged as Ivysaur charged in a cold white veil.

"Machamp cross chop! Rhydon horn attack! Graveler tackle!" Giovanni sent his pokemon on the attack again, they had to keep trying, there had to be a weakness to Dragonite.

Dragonite stood waiting for Venom's order while growling in perpetual anger. Ivysaur wrapped her vine whip around Dragonite, though he escaped, tearing the vine whip to pieces. As Dragonite broke free, he was surrounded by the strong snow storm caused by Cloyster and Kingler's united attacks. Machamp and Rhydon charged in left and right, their attacks reaching Dragonite simultaneously, finalized by Graveler in a frontal assault.

Dragonite nearly lost his balance, stepping back and roaring loudly. Venom remained unaffected by the events, thinking the attempts to defeat Dragonite would be futile no matter what, he was overconfident and enjoyed watching their efforts fail. "Enough playing, I'm getting bored, Dragonite twister!"

The wind was immensely strong, causing the Rocket pokemon to group together, holding on to each other not to be blown away, while at the same time protecting their trainers. Dragonite roared a defiant battle cry and flapped his ragged wings, blowing another gust of air mixed with smoke from his mouth.

"Ivysaur, solar beam!"

"Cloyster, aurora beam!"

The other pokemon protected Ivysaur and Cloyster as they attacked, the two beams pierced the wall of wind hitting their target, but they only pushed Dragonite back. However, the dragon ceased his attack and the wind subsided. "Dragonite, outrage!" at Venom's order, Dragonite wildly attacked, having grown impatient with only being allowed to do so much, but knowing not to defy Venom who liked to exhaust his opponents.

"Kingler, vice grip!" Kingler held on to Dragonite's right arm, despite the dragon pokemon trying to shake him off. "Cloyster tackle and hold on!" Cloyster jumped towards Dragonite and closed his shell on impact, attaching himself to the furious dragon's left arm.

"Graveler, Machamp, Rhydon, mega punch!" The three pokemon attacked in perfect unison as the two water pokemon held on to Dragonite. Combining their attacks they were finally able to knock the large dragon pokemon down.

"Get up Dragonite!" Venom yelled, "finish them now!"

Even more enraged, Dragonite thrashed about, but Cloyster and Kingler didn't let go of his arms. Now Graveler, Rhydon and Machamp held on to him as well.

"Ivysaur solar beam!" Giovanni commanded, now was their only chance to win and they couldn't waste it.

"What are you doing Dragonite? Attack, use fire blast!" Venom ordered impatiently.

Ivysaur fired her solar beam and it collided with Dragonite's more powerful fire blast sending sparks all over the arena, the temperature rising rapidly. The fire blast canceled the solar beam and continued on with amazing power. It all happened in a split second; Giovanni and Delia were in danger from the blast of fire heading towards them. Ivysaur jumped in the way and shielded them but caught on fire, taking the hit head on.

Ivysaur advanced towards Dragonite still aflame and unleashed another solar beam despite her extreme pain. Following the solar beam, which hit its target before Dragonite or Venom could react, the blazing grass pokemon tackled Dragonite with tremendous force.

Many of the wires around Dragonite snapped and the metal box caught on fire, sending a shock of electricity all over Dragonite's body. Kingler, Cloyster, Machamp, Rhydon and Graveler quickly let go and back away as Dragonite roared in pain, until he finally lost consciousness at the cost of Ivysaur's life.

"Ivysaur!" Delia cried in agony, fearing the pokemon had no hopes of survival, only partially realizing she was already dead. "Ivysaur!" Delia tried to run towards the charred remains, like a pile of burned leaves on top of the unconscious Dragonite, but Giovanni held her back. "Let me go, I have to-"

"It's too late and this battle isn't over!" Giovanni held on to her until she stopped struggling.

Delia had an immense fury in her eyes, a thirst for justice and vengeance. Team Rocket had to clean the world of terrible people like Venom. "You horrible monster, Team Rocket will give you all the pain you gave these pokemon!"

"Is that so?" Venom stepped forward and slit the unconscious Dragonite's throat with his metal claws.

"Dragonite! Why did you do that? He was your own pokemon, he fought for you!" Delia yelled enraged and even more saddened.

"That creature lost," Venom replied simply, his voice filled with indifference.

"Dudes," Luke suddenly emerged from the tunnel leading to the basement out of breath. Giovanni and Delia had been so focused on their battle that they stopped listening for the other sounds in the gym, it was quiet now. "We like won, we got them all, we like took all the Tempest dudes prisoner," Luke held his hand over his ribs, where there was abundant blood, though he also had cuts and bruises all over. "We had to like fight too, you know?" His eyes went to Venom, who looked very displeased overhearing the news. "Whoa!"

"Luke you're injured and the others too?" The war seemed to have no end for Delia; she wanted to somehow heal all her companions, human and pokemon alike.

"We're tough," Luke replied with some difficulty and forced himself to smile reassuringly.

"Listen Luke..." Giovanni whispered something; Luke nodded and disappeared back into the tunnel leading to the basement from where he came.

"So the Tempest Gang has been defeated? It doesn't matter, they were weak anyway!" Venom growled almost insanely, out of focus, wild. "There's nothing you can do to stop me, were you planning your desperate escape just now?"

"Team Rocket has no intention of running away!" Giovanni yelled back.

"Good, because I won't let you!" Venom roared. "You all die now!"

Venom charged forward, Rhydon and Machamp were the first in his way. Giovanni quickly shouted commands to both pokemon, but Venom was too fast and the exhausted pair of pokemon was stabbed simultaneously, falling down defeated, though alive.

Cloyster and Kingler were next; too fast to react they were out of the fight and gravely injured as well, but still breathing. Graveler stood as the only barrier between the rampaging Venom and the two trainers.

Venom slashed away, pieces of rock falling off Graveler. The pokemon was in too much pain and could not react fast enough to follow any commands. More pieces of the rock pokemon fell, but Graveler continued trying to follow Giovanni's orders, though his actions had no effect on Venom.

An echo of cries and growls was heard coming from the tunnel leading to the basement. A stampede of pokemon, sick and injured but thirsty for vengeance made its way up to the arena and assaulted Venom.

Giovanni's order had been for Team Rocket to let all the caged pokemon lose. After the way Machoke, now Machamp joined them to go against Venom and how he and Rhyhorn, now Rhydon evolved to fight him, Giovanni knew it would be useful to free the pokemon. They would surely hate Venom and attack him in their rage.

Venom screamed in pain as the pokemon bit and scratched. He slashed at them wildly, killing several, but there were too many, they buried him completely and relentlessly attacked. Team Rocket members poured into the arena and sent out their pokemon to help, regardless of their tired and injured state, some even got caught in the excitement and joined the attack themselves.

Venom became silent, his previous roars and growls lost. Team Rocket recalled their pokemon and backed away. The crazed pokemon that had been experimented on still buried Venom scratching and biting, not really being fully aware of what they were doing, focused only on revenge for their pain, feral and berserk. Slowly the pokemon began to feel the effects of their exhaustion having exerted themselves against Venom. Many fell unconscious and others crawled away a short distance and lay down breathing heavily.

Team Rocket, fully gathered in the arena, cheered, but Delia wasn't feeling victorious, "the pokemon..." Graveler twitched, despite his broken state and looked at the humans. "Graveler!" Delia rushed to his side.

Giovanni observed the other pokemon trained by himself and Delia, they showed a little movement, signs of breathing and some even opened their eyes tiredly. A few of the sick pokemon fighting Venom had survived but they were in critical condition. In spite of that, they no longer held that look of rage and madness they had before, as if the effects of their revenge had sunk in and they had no target for their anger anymore. "Everyone, we can't afford to lose any more pokemon, start treating them immediately. We'll celebrate when we recover." Giovanni ordered; the key to maintaining power would be to have the most and strongest pokemon.

Everyone ceased their cheering, realizing that Team Rocket was left virtually powerless by the harsh battle. The team got to work, treating the pokemon, giving them first aid and trying to keep them and each other alive.

xoxox xox xoxox

In the remainder of the night, Team Rocket treated the injured pokemon. Many of the ones that were released from the laboratory didn't make it, but most of their own did.

Binks had examined Venom's remains with the curiosity of a genetic science specialist then went off to find Giovanni, who was in one of the many rooms of the gym taking care of the pokemon with Delia. "It was ditto!" Binks dashed into the room, the door was left open, with different people often coming in and out to say something to their leader. "Venom injected himself with the DNA of Ditto to make his body more flexible to the modifications he made, that's how he survived his extreme surgery, but it wasn't a full mutation it was a combination between mutation and surgery. I also found a lot of interesting information in the laboratory. It seems the epidemic might have originated here by accident from mutated pokemon due to Venom's research. It seems he didn't know what to make of it, he had no control over the disease," Binks sounded very excited about the discovery.

"The cure!" Delia had been half inside Cloyster's shell taking care of the injuries within; Venom had slipped his claws inside before Cloyster could close his shell. She poked her head out the top of the shell, "do you think the information here could lead to finding a cure?"

"It's very likely!" Binks then went on a scientific speech about the properties of the virus that neither Giovanni nor Delia, despite having studied with Professor Oak, could keep up with; it was too technical, riddled with complex medical terms and hard to pronounce composite words.

"That's enough, organize the data that could be useful to research an antidote and clean out any unnecessary information," Giovanni ordered. He didn't need his headache to grow worse listening to Binks' elaborate terminology.

"Yes, boss, right away!" Binks rushed out to get to work. His blond hair was messier than ever and the purplish-black circles under his eyes stood out on his thin face, but he was bursting with energy and enthusiasm.

Delia finished taking care of Cloyster and looked over Kingler's bandages before going off to change Machamp's bandages. "The bleeding stopped, good, now stay still while I apply this cream, it will sting but it will help you heal and you won't even have a scar." The same process had been done with Rhydon who was resting there as well.

Graveler was in more stable condition then the others; his structure was different from the other pokemon due to his thick stone armor. With so much stone the injuries sealed faster, but he was left permanently scarred. His wounds had closed and would not easily open up again, but he had lost some limbs protecting Giovanni and Delia. Graveler sat sadly in a corner, with a deep line diagonally from his forehead down to his chest over one eye, which was blind and closed. Out of four, he only had one arm left now.

Delia had comforted the pokemon, telling him evolution might heal him, but in truth she wasn't sure, she had never seen such terrible injuries before and Graveler was so depressed he might not have the will to evolve even if he was trained.

Delia yawned and scanned the room for her magenta cup of coffee with a picture of a clashing bright red pokeball silhouette, which was not really hers, but something she found and claimed in the gym's kitchen, it was probably Amethyst's. It seemed that Amethyst had been some kind of coffee addict or maybe she kept the supply for Venom to stay awake experimenting through the night. There was a large supply of coffee of many different kinds in the gym's kitchen.

Spotting the cup on the corner of a polished redwood desk, Delia picked it up and drank what was left, yawning again soon after. "I need more coffee."

"You need sleep," Giovanni corrected, with a look that clearly indicated he needed to rest as well. "I have a plan; I'll take care of things."

Delia shook her head sleepily, her eyes involuntarily half closed, "the pokemon..."

"Save for the sick ones, all the survivors are in a stable condition. You've treated so many, you deserve to rest, but first, I need you to call Professor Oak," Giovanni knew he had no more time to waste for his plan to work.

To be Continued

Disclaimer, I don't own Pokemon.