Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Fear the Quintet ❯ The Trainer ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Random note… I saw the person Fred is based on for the first time in like 7 years the other day. I also seem to be falling for the person Elliot is based on. Anyway… X3
Kitty looked in horror as her precious little Eevee was attacked. “Rocky!” she called. She simply would not have this. “Use…”
Scott put his hand lightly on her arm and she glanced at him. He looked a little peed off. “Go on, Dakota.” He threw out his own pokeball. “Get him with a Tackle attack.” The Cyndaquil charged up to the scrawny Delcatty creature and butted it away from Rocky who, looking a little confused and flustered, walked back to Kitty's side.
“Tackle back,” the old man ordered. The Delcatty recoiled and sprang forwards, dealing a lot more damage to the Cyndaquil than he had to her.
“Ok, don't worry,” Scott said. “Smokescreen.”
The Cyndaquil opened its mouth and smoke poured out and hung thick and dark around the Delcatty.
“Alright, now Tackle it and jump away before it finds you.”
Dakota leapt forwards and smashed into the cat pokemon and then jumped back again, hopping left and right nervously.
“Take Down,” the man cried, his eyes bulging as the rage building up concentrated on his comical face. The Delcatty pounced, but Dakota rolled away and she missed.
“More Smokescreen, I think,” Scott called. The Cyndaquil shot out some more smoke.
“Take Down!” he shrieked.
“Dodge, and use Leer.”
“Take Down!”
“One more Leer.”
“Take Down!” he screamed. The Delcatty scrambled towards the Cyndaquil and smashed into it, and they both rolled down the side of a nearby mound. Scott flinched for a moment, and then swallowed.
“Ok, now Tackle.”
Dakota recovered and flew into the cat's stomach as she stood up. She shot backwards and tumbled over.
“Tackle back!”
“Tackle again.” They called out their orders in unison and the pokemon ran forwards to collide head-on. As the dust cleared, both of them lay on the ground, breathing heavily with their eyes squeezed shut.
“Dakota!” Scott stepped towards it, but then the Delcatty stirred and got up. The old man danced about in glee.
“We win! We win!” He giggled disturbingly as his pokemon swayed on her spindly legs.
“You beat one of us,” Matthew corrected and retrieved the pokeball from his belt. “Come on, Candy.” The Sandshrew came out with a forward roll and squeaked happily. “Scratch that cat.”
She hopped closer to it and slashed at it with little claws and the Delcatty yowled horribly and fell again, too weak this time to get back up. Scott returned Dakota while Candy ran happily back to Matthew.
“Wow, you're pretty good for a girl,” he said fondly, picking her up. Kitty delivered him a swift kick in the crotch and he made a noise that resembled the Delcatty's. All the other boys winced. They knew from experience that even without shoes she had a very powerful kick.
“Bastard,” she sighed, then turned to the man. “What did you want from us again?”
“N-nothing,” he said quickly, looking at his precious Delcatty lying with her scrawny limbs spread out in unnatural directions. “P-please don't hurt my Delcatty any more.”
“What are you talking about? You attacked us!”
“Yes, but… just go!” He snivelled a little and blinked rapidly, turning around. Kitty shrugged and turned to the boys who were patting Matthew uncertainly as he attempted to recover.
“Come on, guys,” she said. “I can't wait to get out of here.” Scott nodded in agreement and went to her side, and they left the Forest of Atra finally, and emerged onto, after Charlie checked (very thoroughly), Route 4.
“Where were routes 1, 2 and 3?” Adam pointed out. Nobody cared to reply.
Route 4 was nothing special. It had patches of tall grass, a few people who were probably trainers walking about, and a jogger playing `Follow the Leader' or something with a Zigzagoon. Across the pathway, if you squinted, you could see the village. Kitty breathed in the fresh air and started to walk. Her feet hurt now, and she couldn't wait to get to the village and buy some shoes.
“Hey! Wait a second,” someone called out. Kitty turned, expecting to see some trainer wanting to battle, and getting ready to own them, but saw only Saxen pointing in front of them. It was a Poochyena sitting down beside a tree, chewing its hind leg. Rocky trotted over to make friends but it woofed nastily at him and he scuttled back to Kitty's legs. “I want to catch it,” Saxen said, retrieving a pokeball from his pocket and getting ready to chuck it at him when a boy appeared from behind the tree.
“Oi!” he said irritably. “What are you doing to my Poochy?”
“Dammit,” Saxen muttered, pocketing the ball again. “I wanna Mightyena.”
“You have to battle me!” the boy said. “I'm in a really bad mood. Nobody just walks up and tries to steal my Poochy. Get out your pokemon.”
Saxen sniggered. “You're annoyed, so you want your pokemon to beat up my pokemon?”
“Well, how else am I going to take out my anger?” he asked, looking a bit confused. Saxen laughed harder.
“Fair enough. Go on, Lithium.” He threw out his pokeball and the Absol emerged, head bowed low and eyes shut. It looked up at the boy and his Poochyena.
“Absol,” it said sensually. Kitty squealed. She loved Absols.
“Alright, use Scratch,” Saxen ordered. The Absol jumped and Scratched the Poochyena as hard as it could, and it fainted. Kitty couldn't help smiling. The trainers at the beginning were so pathetic.
“Ok, go on, Ratty,” the trainer said. A Rattata appeared from the orange glow and attempted to use Tackle, but the Absol dodged easily and used Scratch on it. It fainted as well, and Saxen wrinkled his nose.
“Well, that was a waste of my life.”
“Wow!” the other trainer cried, looking on Saxen with newfound amazement and respect. “You're really really good!”
“Well, you know…” Saxen laughed, looking at the sky.
“Will you…” the boy looked at them all, going a little pink as they continued on. “Wait!” They stopped. “Will you help me?”
“Huh?” Scott looked at him. “Help you do what?”
“Well,” he sighed. “There's this girl that I like, and there's this boy that always beats me, and she watches, and laughs at me whenever I lose.”
“Righty,” Matthew said. “So you want us to help you train.”
“Well actually, I was going to ask you if I could borrow your pokemon for a bit.”
There was a silence as they all looked at him weirdly.
“Um, no?” Kitty suggested.
“No offence, but I wasn't asking you,” the boy said. “I was asking one of the boys.” Kitty narrowed her eyes, but Scott held her back. “So what do you think? I'll take care of them. It'll only be for a few hours. Just until I beat him.”
“No way,” Matthew snorted. “But we'll help you train.”
“Actually, I have an idea!” the boy said suddenly. Kitty struggled against Scott's grip but he was too strong and she gave up. “There's this pokemon I've been trying to catch for a while that lives in the forest. It's a Marill, so it's kind of rare. Whenever I throw a pokeball at it, it just gets out and walks away. I know if I had that Marill I could beat him.”
“Have you tried weakening it?” Kitty asked, squinting at him. He ignored her.
“So will you help me catch it?” he asked.
“What's in it for us?” Matthew asked, folding his arms.
“That's not how the pokemon world works,” Charlie whispered, nudging him. “We have to help everyone. And plus, I want to jack that Marill,” he added. Matthew shrugged.
“Fair enough.”
“So you'll do it?” he asked, his eyes shining.
“Sure.”
“Thanks!” he cried, looking as if he was about to hug them, but seemed to restrain himself. “Let's go!”
And that's how the eight of them ended up squatting next to a pile of homemade pokéfood, to which Matthew had made the quiet observation that it looked more like pokécrap.
“So how many pokemon have you all caught so far?” he whispered.
“Four,” Adam replied happily.
“Wow! Each?”
“Well, actually…”
“That is so cool! Teach me!”
“Well, first you weaken the pokemon…”
“Does that help?” he asked, mouth open.
“Well no wonder you've only managed to catch a level 1 Poochyena and Rattata so far,” Kitty muttered, looking sadly at her muddy feet.
“And then you throw a pokeball at it.”
“You're all so knowledgeable,” he said, looking at Saxen with silent admiration.
“Well, yeah,” he chuckled.
“There it is!” Charlie was practically drooling.
“Down, boy,” Matthew whispered.
“Yeah, we'll organise something with a Lopunny later,” Scott added. They raised their eyebrows at him and he grinned.
“Ok, so get your pokemon to…”
“Loki, use Scratch!” Charlie evidently couldn't help himself. His Totodile came tumbling out of its ball and scratched the Marill's stomach. It looked very mad and used Water Gun, to Charlie's surprise. “It's strong,” he exclaimed.
“But stupid,” Matthew commented. “It's using a water attack on a Totodile.”
“It just needs a good trainer to…” He glanced at the boy. “Teach him,” he ended sadly. “Like you.” The boy grinned.
“Another Scratch,” Charlie commanded. Loki scratched at the Marill again and it winced. Charlie nudged the trainer, signalling that he should catch it now. He nodded and chucked an empty ball that sucked up the little blue pokemon and rolled around on the floor for a while.
It was nail-biting for everyone except everyone except Charlie and the boy - whose name they had yet to find out.
With a ping, the ball announced that the pokemon had been caught, and the boy screamed in joy and high-fived every one of the poor, unsuspecting boys, leaving Kitty out, she noticed, not that she particularly wanted to high-five a moron.
“Alright! I'll call you Fisher, after me!” he said gleefully to his pokeball. So that was that mystery over with. “Come on, guys. You have to watch me battle, and win!”
So they trudged after the boy - Fisher - as he practically skipped back to the village and arranged some kind of match with his rival.
It was all set up now, and Kitty and Scott sat sleepily together by the side while the rest of the boys chose the shade of the tree. Silly boys. It wasn't sunny. God forbid they get some… wait, she should say Arceus now, shouldn't she? Ok, Arceus forbid they get some sunlight for once.
It felt good to be a hypocrite sometimes.
“Ok, start it off, Poochy!” the boy sent out his Poochyena who barked threateningly at his opponent, who had yet to be sent out. Fun.
“Smush the loser, Golly.” Golly? Kitty thought. What kind of trainer names his pokemon… A Golem appeared from the pokeball and growled, tensing its stone muscles. Alright.
“Start off with a…” Fisher began.
“Rollout,” the other boy said boredly. The Golem rolled up into a ball and bumped into the Poochyena, who dropped down, unconscious.
“Poochy!” Fisher screamed, recalling his pokemon. “You poor thing! Go on, Ratty.” The Rattata appeared and used Tackle as commanded, but the Golem was still in Rollout and swerved to bash harder into the little rat. It fainted as well. “No worries. I have a trick up my sleeve. Go on, Fisher junior!” He sent out the Marill who jumped about in joy at its first trainer battle. “Use… uh… Water Gun!”
“Well I can see why he would want a Marill for this battle,” Scott muttered.
The Marill squirted out water, but the Golem did something unexpected. It rolled at full speed towards a stray rock on the ground, and the jolt from ramming into it sent it flying into the air, avoiding the attack. It came crashing down on Fisher - the pokemon, not the trainer - and the battle was over. Fisher's - the trainer, not the pokemon - jaw dropped.
“I lost!” he said in disbelief.
“No way! And you trained your pokemon for an entire… never!” Kitty feigned shock too. He ignored her and she grumbled quietly.
“This sucks!” He stamped his feet on the floor. “I went through so much trouble to catch this stupid Marill and it's worthless!”
Charlie sidestepped next to him fluidly and nodded. “It is, you're absolutely right. It's worthless. Let me take it off your hands. I'll… release it where it's happy.” He grinned widely. Fisher nodded.
“Fine, whatever. Here.” He returned the Marill and thrust the pokeball into Charlie's hands. Charlie squealed in joy and skipped off again.
“Uh, so we can continue on now?” Kitty asked him. He sneered at her.
“I never asked you to stay, blondie.”
“Ok, that's it…” Kitty flew at him but again Scott restrained her with a chuckle. “You… bastard… you… sexist…” she yelled, trying to think of something really scathing, but opting to growl instead.
“Come on, we can't lose any more time,” Scott murmured in her ear. She melted and nodded, and walked away from him, but then turned. She saw the girl congratulating his rival for the pathetic victory with a hug, and Fisher looking at her sadly.
“You know, there's something I think I should…” Kitty sighed, then walked over to the girl and spoke to her gently, pointing over to Fisher and smiling. The girl started to walk over to him, but hesitated, and Fisher could hardly breathe. Kitty nodded encouragingly and the girl went up to him.
“Hey…” she said to him. “Um, there's something I've been meaning to do for a long time.” She bit her lip. Fisher looked at her in awe and Kitty stomped back to Scott.
“Wow, that was randomly nice of you,” he commented. She shook her head and pointed.
Her hand shot at him with incredible force and smacked him around the face. He jerked sideways and stumbled to the floor with a little gasp.
“That's for being a chauvinist pig. I've wanted to do that for so long. You treat me like crap just because I'm a girl!” she yelled, and stormed off back to Kitty, who was laughing uncontrollably.
“Ah,” Scott said simply. “Fair enough.”
“Thanks for finally giving me the courage to…” the girl started, but then her eyes fell on Scott. “Wow…” she giggled. “I've never seen you around here. I definitely would have remembered you.” She bit her bottom lip seductively. Kitty stopped laughing and Scott started.
“Really?” he said, grinning toothily.
“Oh, yeah.” She actually put her hand on his sleeve and stroked his arm. He looked at her with slight alarm. “Wow, you're really strong…” she breathed. Kitty blinked a few times as she pressed herself against him. Damn, she was actually pretty cute. She hissed between her teeth at her. Mine.
“Oi!” the other boy, the rival, came stomping up to them, just as Scott nervously attempted to push her off him. “Get the hell of my girl!”
“I'm trying,” Scott moaned, backing off. She trotted back to other boy and clung to his arm with a wink.
“Keep yo' bitches under control,” Matthew said, then looked around, whispering “This is how to get a battle, you see,” to the others. He turned back expectantly… to receive a swift kick in the crotch.
“And he's down!” Scott yelled in a commentator-like voice.
“Let's… get out of here. Quickly,” Kitty said, and they nodded. “I need some freakin' shoes.”