Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Introverted ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Pokémon or any recognizable characters! They belong to the original creator Satoshi Tajiri and Director Masamitsu Hidaka. Kyrielle is my own creation, with any other OCs. -^^- Along with any fanart I happen to link, unless said otherwise. ^__^
 
 
A young chocolate-color haired girl sat in the tall grasses of Professor Oak's ranch, contentedly immersing herself with plucking the golden grasses that surrounded a sleeping snorlax. This pokémon wasn't hers; she was far too young for a pokémon of her own. It belonged to a trainer that relied on the professor to care for their extra pokémon while they were out and about on their pokémon journey; thus was one of the things the local professor offered to the trainers. They needed somewhere to keep 'em all, didn't they?
 
"Kyrie!" a familiar deep voice called. The girl's head turned to look up in response. "It's getting late. You should head home before your mother starts to worry. Your father's already gone home."
 
The kindly old professor approached the girl, extending a hand to help her up. She smiled and accepted his hand, dusting herself off, ridding herself of any clingy brush. She finally took note of the setting sun that made the sky glow pink and orange, telling the region it was now dusk. Her waist-length hair blew slightly in the warm evening breeze.
 
As they walked back to the lab, Professor Oak looked back to the snorlax still lying there asleep. His eyebrows drew together in a worried thought. If that snorlax had rolled over, it would have squashed the girl for sure. The pokémon around here were all generally good natured, and would never purposely harm her. (He was sure to keep any questionable behaviored pokémon in a different area) But it still wasn't safe to hang around a one-thousand pound snorlax. No matter how safe it may seem asleep.
 
Kyrie seemed to sense his unease, looking up with eyes swimming in innocence mixed with concern. She gently tugged at his sleeve to divert his attention. The professor's gaze was brought to the eight year old to returned the hesitant, yet soft and reassuring smile she offered. Such a sweet girl, he thought. Little Kyrie was a special kid. For more than the usual reasons an innocent young child would be.
 
Kyrielle didn't speak; She couldn't. At some point, something caused the already withdrawn and quiet girl to stop talking completely. The sudden change in her being mute had puzzled everyone around her, seeing as they saw no reason for this change.
 
Nothing out of the ordinary had changed that was affecting her, as far as they knew. Her parents tried everything they could to get through to her. The doctors still couldn't figure out what was wrong. For nearing 6 months now, not much had changed. It was still too early to really tell how things would turn out, in all reality.
 
The only thing they noticed would be that Kyrie would sometimes zone out, leaving her with a saddened expression. She'd sit there and flounder in a depression with thoughts no one could comprehend. Often she would shy away from people and go off to be by herself. As odd as it was for a young girl to choose to play by her lonesome, no one knew how to address it exactly.
 
Why would a small girl be depressed to the point of giving up speech and company of others? Whenever confronted with it, she'd only shake her head and place a smile on her face as though nothing was wrong. It made the hearts of her friends and family grow heavy. They wished nothing more than to help her; to see more than a frown masked with a fake smile. Professor Oak was one of these people. He knew Kyrie since she was only an infant.
 
He'd only hope he could offer some comfort to Kyrielle. His hand came to tenderly rest upon her head in an affectionate manner. With things as is, Oak would have to think of how to go about it. For now he'd settle with making a vow. Oak promised to start thinking of something he could do for Kyrie to cheer her up. Something- anything to heal her troubles and give her a will to speak and take comfort in the company of friends. Someday.
 
 
 
Ok! I edited it a bit so hopefully it's not so flowery or… Mary-Sue-ish. So how was it? I'm hoping if this is taken well, the next chapter will explain a bit more; if that's any reason to review. Comments and -any- crit is appreciated. This was my first fanfic. I'd like to see how it's received before I plan on continuing it…