Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pok'emon Gaiden ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

KLANG KLANG KLANG
 
“Phew!” Roark gasped as he rested himself for a minute, leaning on his pickaxe as he pulled a handkerchief from his pocket and mopped his brow with it.
 
“Hey Roark, should you be back at work already after what happened yesterday?” A fellow miner questioned as he shovelled the excess earth from the floor into a wheelbarrow.
 
“Heh, the mines are my responsibility besides if I let a little thing like a sprained ankle stop me from working my dad would never let me hear the end of it.” Roark replied, picking his pickaxe back up and hacking at the rocky wall.
 
“I think you should listen to your college.” Blaze said, walking up to him.
 
“I'm sorry miss I don't believe I've had the pleasure.” Roark replied, stopping his work briefly.
 
Blaze pulled out her written VIP challenge letter from her backpack and handed it to Roark. “Recognise this?”
 
“Ahh so you must be Vincent's friend.” Roark realised, adjusting his glasses as he read the signature.
 
“That's right.” Blaze confirmed. “I challenge you Roark of Oreburgh to a Pok'emon battle.”
 
“Heh that is indeed a challenge I cannot refuse.” Roark accepted. “Though we will have to battle a little deeper into the mines, as when I was kidnapped by team Silex I dropped the key to my gym and I'm still waiting for the locksmith to come down and make me a spare key.”
 
“Anywhere is fine with me.” Blaze replied. “I'll beat you anywhere you like.”
 
“As you wish. Bob, please fill in for me while I'm away.” Roark said to his fellow miner.”
 
“No problem Roark, it'll be done before you get back.”
 
“Shall we?” Roark asked, leading the way through the well little mines.
 
Blaze followed close behind, excitement overpowering her. “You have no idea how much I've been looking forward to this; getting my first gym badge and everything.”
 
Roark chuckled to himself as they entered the large empty room in the mineshafts. “While it may be true that I am the weakest gym leader in Sinnoh, I am a gym leader none the less. You still have to earn the Coal badge.”
 
Blaze took her place at the other side of the room. “So what kind of battle shall we have?”
 
“The match will be a best two out of three match you are allowed to use all Pok'emon in your arsenal and I will use my three, the first person to two victories wins, understood?” Roark asked, reaching for his first Pok'eball.
 
“Sure.” Blaze said, smirking. “I can live with that.” she replied, her fingers dancing over her Pok'eball belt over her three Poke'balls.
 
“Well then allow me to start things off!” Roark said, throwing his first Pok'eball down. “Go Geodude!”
 
“Geo!” His Pok'emon called out, emerging from the Poke'ball in a flash of light and stars.
 
“Customisable Pok'eball ehh? Shame it's the only impressive looking thing about that Pok'emon.” Blaze taunted as she threw down her first Pok'emon of the match. “I hate to take advantage of your rock types weaknesses but go Tentacrule!”
 
“Crule!” Tentacrule growled, glaring at Geodude.
 
“Predictable.” Roark chuckled. “Geodude, dig now!” He commanded.
 
“Not so fast!” Blaze yelled. “Tentacrule, water gun!”
 
Tentacrule obeyed, keeping his distance while firing powerful jets of water at Geodude.
 
Geodude barely escaped as he tunnelled underground quickly.
 
“Such a shame.” Roark taunted. “You were so close too.”
 
“Grrr! Tentacrule, bounce now!”
 
“Crule!” Tentacrule growled as he shot up into the air as the ground underneath him started to crumble.
 
“Geodude, seismic toss!” Roark commanded as Geodude flew from the ground at such speed shooting off into the air, grasping two of Tentacrule's tentacles in midair and threw him to the floor.
 
THWACK
 
“Grrr Damnit!” Blaze yelled as Tentacrule shakily got up.
 
“I'm not finished yet! Geodude, body slam!”
 
“Ohh no!” Blaze cried as Geodude launched himself from the air where he threw Tentacrule and came down on his face win incredible speed kicking up dust, cracking the floor beneath them.
 
“C crule…” Tentacrule murmured before fainting.
 
“Shit! Return.” Blaze called, returning her Pok'emon starting to loose her cool.
 
“If that's the best you have you are a long way off from becoming Cinnabar islands gym leader!” Roark called out.
 
“Cinnabar Island is a fire gym.” blaze smirked. “You wanna see the power of a fire a Pok'emon under the command of someone like me? Fine then! Go Magmar!”
 
Magmar appeared on the battlefield on one knee looking up at his opponent, slowly getting to his feet licking his fiery beak with a cocky smirk.
 
“What a chilling aura.” Roark smiled. “I can already tell that this Pok'emon has had a lot more training that your Tentacrule.”
 
“Just wait.” Blaze smirked. “Magmar, focus energy!”
 
Magmar looked back at her without moving his head and nodded, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath as his feet and hands glow white-hot.
 
“Now Geodude! Lets see what that Pok'emon has, rock throw now!”
 
Geodude stabbed the ground with one of his hands and pulled a rock three times the size of him out and threw it at a high speed at Magmar.
 
“Magmar, mega kick!” Blaze yelled.
 
Magmar's eyes shot open, his mind totally focused as he knelt down and jumped in the air landing a mega kick to the bolder, the impact so great it sent a shockwave a cross the arena as the bolder flew back at Geodude even faster, hitting him and taking him to the wall crushing him.
 
“W Woah!” Roark shivered, staring at the small crater left in the rock wall by the bolder.
 
“G Geodude… Are you alright?” Roark called.
 
CRACK
 
The bolder cracked open as Geodude punched his way through it and headed back to the arena.
 
“That's one strong Pok'emon you've raised.” Blaze admitted. “That would have taken out most Pok'emon.”
 
“Never underestimate my rock hard Pok'emon.” Roark replied. “Geodude, return. Rest for now.”
 
“What are you doing?” Blaze demanded. “It's best two out of three and your Pok'emon is still fine.”
 
“I also said we could switch out Pok'emon at anytime.” Roark replied. “Don't think me dishonest, I know when I cannot win so I adapt a strategy to get through. Anyway this is the way of battle for a gym leader. Now prepare to fight a Pok'emon not seen since ancient times, go Rampardos!”
 
“A, a dinosaur Pok'emon? Hmph! Magmar, don't let that things size throw you off! Close combat attack!”
 
Magmar nodded before jolting off at a high speed, his white-hot limbs punching and kicking Rampardos in the face midair frantically.
 
“Ohh shit! Rampardos, Zen head butt!”
 
THWACK!
 
Magmar was sent flying back with the crushing blow from Rampardos, crashing just meters away from Blaze, his limbs returning to their original colour.
 
“Magmar, catch!” Blaze called out, throwing a potion at him.
 
Magmar caught it as he shakily got too his feet, staring at the damage he had done to Rampardos.
 
“You might want to get your Pok'emon a burn heal.” Blaze smirked, as Rampardos's forehead was glowing red hot from Magmar's assault
 
“It will take more than that to take down this Pok'emon!” Roark replied. “Go Rampardos, charge attack!”
 
“Magmar look out!” Blaze screamed as Magma crushed the bottle of potion in his hand letting it trickle down his body before leaping into the air, narrowly avoiding the charge attack.
 
“Ohh no.” Roark cringed.
 
“Ohh yes!” Blaze taunted. “Magmar, fire blast now!”
 
“Mar!” Magmar obeyed while upside own in midair, he launched a powerful fire blast striking Rampardos in the back of the head as it crashed into the wall cracking the hard rock as he fell to the floor unconscious.
 
“That was my best Pok'emon.” Roark replied as he returned it to his Pok'eball
 
“I'm not surprised.” Blaze admitted. “He was very strong, you have raised him well.”
 
“Heh your kind words flatter me but I'm afraid it's all over for you, I swear will no longer switch Pok'emon in battle this will be my final one. Though not as powerful as Rampardos I would advise switching your Magmar, that head butt took a lot out of him by the looks of it.
 
“I'll show you what my Magmar is made of.” Blaze boasted. “Do your worst.”
 
“As you wish.” Roark replied, throwing out his final Pok'eball, releasing his Onix, whom emerged to the field with a roar.
 
“Get ready Magmar, don't go rushing in. Conserve your energy, wait for an opportunity!” Blaze commanded as Magmar panted in a fighting stance.
 
“Onix dig now!” Roark smirked before Onix launched itself into the air and tunnelled underneath.
 
“That's cheep!” Blaze yelled. “You know that I can't have Magmar use earthquake in these mines.”
 
“Ha ha! Onix, tease them for a while. Show her just how well a gym leader trains there Pok'emon!”
 
The rocky fin on Onix's head emerged on the ground as Onix swam underneath the arena like a shark.
 
“Grrrr! Magmar, use strength! Show this bastard that we mean business!”
 
Magmar inhaled deeply as Onix swam right for him but stopped as Magmar caught it's fin and held it there.
 
“Good job Magmar, now show Roark just how strong you really are!” Blaze cried.
 
“Maaaaaagmar!” Magmar growled as he ripped Onix from the ground and began to spin him around hammer throw style, faster and faster.
 
“Now Magmar, don't give him a chance to recover. Flame thrower!”
 
Magmar spun faster and faster, his and Onix's bodies becoming faint blurs as he unleashed his powerful flame thrower from his beak, giving the illusion of a tornado of flame around them, causing Onix's body to glow red hot before letting go.
 
“Woah!” Roark stared in disbelief. “…Onix! Dig right into the wall!” Roark yelled as Onix hit he wall, drilling into the solid bedrock.
 
“H he's not down?” Blaze panicked as Magmar struggled to keep himself from fainting.
 
“It's all over!” Roark yelled. “Onix, go now!”
 
“Magmar!” Blaze screamed. “Double flame thrower! I know you're tired but this is your only chance!”
 
Magmar regained his composure as his arms glow white-hot once more as he aimed them at the ground where the rumbling shook the floor and let off a super powerful flamethrower, melting the ground and rock. The fire engulfed Onix as it screamed just as the Steelix had done in Canclave.
 
“W what the hell? How can such a powerful attack exist?” Roark stared in disbelief as he returned his Onix.
 
Magmar's flame died down before he collapsed to his knees and fainted.
 
“Good work Magmar I'll get you heeled up in no time.” Blaze said in relief, returning him to his Pok'eball.
 
“I see you weren't joking about being strong.” Roark replied with a smile on his face, clapping his hands.
 
“Are you sure your not the strongest gym leader?” Blaze asked in disbelief as they walked to each other.
 
Roark chuckled. “Heh I'm sure but to beat me is still an incredible accomplishment but if you want to get anymore gym badges from Sinnoh you have a lot more training to do.”
 
“Well then I guess I will just have to train harder and pick up a few more Pok'emon then won't I.” Blaze smiled.
 
“Heh I wish you good luck on your path to defeat my fellow gym leaders.” Roark congratulated, her reaching into his inside pocked and pulling out a Coal badge.
 
“Here you go Blaze you've really proven yourself. I'm sure you will become a very powerful trainer.”
 
“Of course.” Blaze replied, taking the badge and pinning it to the inside of her jacket. “Just wait, I'm going all the way to the Pok'emon league!”
 
“You will have to work hard to become the Sinnoh champion.”
 
“Sinnoh?” Blaze smirked. “Ha I meant the international Pok'emon league.”
 
“That's not for another eight years.” Roark replied. “But your going to need the time to train if you have any hope to win.”
 
“Well then I will just have to use my time wisely and train hard just like I have today with you.”
 
“Then I have nothing left to say.” Roark replied.
 
“I do have one question though.” Blaze said as they walked back the way they came through the mines.
 
“Ohh, and what's that?” Roark asked.
 
“How did someone as skilled as you get captured by team Silex?”
 
“Ha ha, well they didn't exactly use a direct approach. When I was locking my gym up for the night I was jumped by three of them and they chloroformed me before I could even shout for help.”
 
“Those cowards.” Blaze frowned.
 
“It doesn't matter, all that it means is that you got a couple of VIP passes to battle us.”
 
“I guess your right.” Blaze replied. “It must be karma.”
 
“Hm hmm, I think your right.” Roark smiled.
 
“Thank you again for battling with me Roark, you're not as weak as I thought.” Blaze smirked as she walked out of the mines leaving Roark to his work.
 
*She's going to be strong.* Roark thought to himself. *I just know it.*