Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pokemon-Episode 1:Affair with the Gang ❯ Chapter 2:In the Woods ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2:In the Woods
 
Josh gazed at the trees as they glistened with dew. The sun was, for the most part, shut out by the broad leaves, but it was able to sneak in in a few spots that the leaves couldn't cover. Several Wurmple ran by his feet. One stopped to look at him for a second, then ran off. Josh started to make his way through, but couldn't take a step before a young boy dressed in shorts and a sleeveless shirt jumped out of a nearby tree. He landed a few feet from Josh and straightened up. He was holding a big butterfly net in his right hand, which he rested on his shoulder. "Hey, you!" he shouted.
"Ohhh," Josh sighed.
"What? Don't tell me you're tired from that battle with that girl just outside. She was child's play. You're in guy territory now," the bug catcher said. He took out two pokeballs and pressed the small button in the middle of each one. They expanded and he asked,"So, do you know how to double battle?"
"Yeah."
"Well, then. Let's go!" he threw the pokeballs and two Wurmple popped out.
"Well, if I have to," Josh said. He released his Wingull and Combusken from their balls. They stood side by side as they readied for battle. "Ok, Combusken, Ember a Wurmple, and Wingull, Water Gun the other one!" Combusken let out a jet of fire from its beak that sped towards the Wurmple. It hit the Wurmple dead on, causing it to faint. At the same time, Wingull shot out water and hit the other Wurmple. It skidded back, but countered with Poison Sting, causing Wingull to be poisoned. It crashed to the ground, unconcious. "Grrrr. Ok, Combusken! It's just you now! Finish that Wurmple with Scratch!" Combusken ran up to it and scratched it with its sharp talons, winning the battle. "Nice, Combusken."
"Crud. Alright, I accept defeat. But there are tougher bug catchers up ahead. Watch out," the discouraged catcher said.
"Yeah, they won't stand a chance against my Combusken." Josh picked up his Wingull and sprayed some antidote on it. He then sprayed some Potion. It sprang out of his arms and flapped its wings with restored health. "Well, I guess you're feeling better," Josh said. "Ok, back in the ball." Wingull chirped and disappeared with a red flash into its ball. Josh started to make his way through the forest again. After about thirty minutes, he decided to take a rest. He released his Wingull and Combusken to let them explore the woods and lay down in the grass. He closed his eyes and before long he dozed off. He woke with a start as a shrill cry echoed around him.
"Winguuuuuuuuuull!" his pokemon shouted in fear. Josh sprang to his feet and dashed through the dense brush. He skidded to a halt when he saw Wingull cornered by a Beedrill. Then Combusken popped out of the bushes next to him.
"Combusken, Ember that Beedrill, quick!"
"Combuskeeeeeeeeeeeeen!" it cried as the intense flames hit the Beedrill in the back. The Beedrill collapsed to the earth with charred wings. Josh ran to the frightened bird and held it in his arms. "Are you ok?"he asked with concern.
"Wingull," it said as it nodded its head.
"Gave me quite a scare. Try to be more careful next time." Josh put Wingull back into its pokeball and patted Combusken on the head. "Good job, Combusken."
"Combusken!" it said with satisfaction.
"Well, I don't know where we are now. Let's go this way," he said, pointing down a cleared path. He walked down the path, with Combusken by his side, for what seemed like a mile. Then he heard the leaves of a tree rustling. He stepped back, prepared for whatever jumped out. Another bug catcher emerged from the leaves and stood on a branch. "Well, what do we have here?" he asked. "Some kid and a Combusken. These two might just prove to be a challenge." He leaped off the branch and landed near the trunck. "Owwwww!" he cried in pain from the long fall.
"Mfff," Josh snickered.
"Shut up, rookie! So, what's your name?"
"Josh, and you?"
"You can call me Gary."
"Well, Gary, I suppose you have some strong Pokemon with you?"
"That's right. I doubt you would be able to defeat me, even with a Combusken."
"Bring it."
"Go, Dustox!" he said as a giant moth popped out of the ball. Pollen fell from its wings as it flew about, making Josh cough. "Combusken, get in there!" he ordered. Combusken ran towards its opponent, stopping twelve feet away.
"Dustox, Gust!" shouted Gary. Dustox started to flap its wings madly, creating a strog gust of wind that sped towards Combuken. It got caught in the fifty mile per hour winds and got blowmn off its feet. It crashed in the brush and got to its feet.
"Combusken, Ember!" Josh said.
"Dustox, another Gust!"
Dustox let loose another gust of wind that met the flames halfway across the battlefield. They clashed and the fire blew out, taking the wind with it. "Grrr. He's good," said Josh. "Ok, Combusken, Scratch!" Combusken ran up and scratched the Dustox across the torso, causing it to fly back. It countered with a Stun Spore. Combusken grimaced as the spores fell on it, causing paralysis. "Come on Combusken. You can't lose this. Try another Ember!" Combusken opened its beak, took a big gulp of air, and released it. Joh could feel the intense heat as the flames escaped from Combusken's mouth and engulfed the Dustox. When the flames subsided, the Dustox was laying on the ground with bad burns covering its body. Gary ran up to it and picked it up.
"Dustox, are you ok? No, I need to get you to the Pokemon Center!" He ran off.
"Dang, I didn't want to hurt that Dustox too badly. I hope it'll be ok," Josh said with concern. "Well, let's go, Combusken." Before they could go any further however, another bug catcher jumped out of the bushes. "Ahhh, is there no end?!" Josh shouted.
"Ha. Well, you were able to defeat my two flunkies. But I'm the leader. Name's Nexus, and I won't lose so easily. Go, Beautifly!" he released the ball out of his hand as he said this. A giant, brightly colored butterfly came out, its wings glistening with beauty and sereness. "Ok, Combusken, don't let that pretty exterior fool you."
"Combusken," it said as it nodded. It glared at its opponent.
"Beautifly, Poison Sting!" Beautifly moved swiftly and stung Combusken. Combusken was shaken, but quickly recovered.
"Combusken, Scratch!" Combusken ran up to the Beautifly and scratched at its face. It dodged to the left, but took a hit to the wing. It struggled to flap the injured appendage, but the nerves were knocked out from the rough talons. It flappe its good wing rapidly to keep itself aloft. "Ok, Combusken, you've hindered it. Let's finish this. Ember!" The Beautifly screeched in pain as the flames licked its body. It slowly flitted to the ground, knocked out by the intense fire.
"Beautifly, return! Go, Nincanda!" A pokemon with huge eyes and sharp claws emerged.
"Combusken, Scratch!" Combusken lunged at the small pokemon and scratched across its back. The Nincanda looked up at Combusken.
"Nincanda, Scratch!" Nincanda raised its claws up and scratched Combusken across the stomach with uncanny swiftness. Combusken stepped back, startled by the sudden attack. It grasped its stomach in pain.
"Careful, Combusken. This isn't an ordinary trainer fight. He's experienced. Ember!" Combusken shot its trademark flames at the pokemon, but it quickly rolled out of harm's way. "Combusken, another Ember!" Again the Nincanda rolled out of the way. "Combusken, return! Go, Wingull!" Wingull came out and glided around the Nincanda. "Wingull, circle it!.......Ok, now a Water Gun!"
"Winguuuuuuuuuull!" it cried as the stream of water struck the Nincanda. It started to sway dangerously, trying to keep its balance, but to no avail. It toppled onto its back, the water taking its toll on the half Ground type pokemon.
"Ok, kid. Now's the time for my best pokemon. Go, Lotad!" A green toad-like pokemon wearing a sombrero-style lily pad on its head popped out.
"What?!" Josh said in surprise. "I thought you were a bug catcher!"
"Who said I couldn't have a little variety in my line up?" he smirked. "Lotad, Bullet Seed!" Lotad popped some seeds into its mouth and shot them rapidly at Wingull, sending it to the ground, where it continued to be pummeled by the barrage of seeds.
"Wingull, Water Gun!" Wingull tried to open its mouth to fire its water at the Lotad, but the seeds were too many and too fast. Wingull fainted from exhaustion. "Hmmm," Josh huffed, "Wingull, return. Go, Combusken!" Combusken returned to the fight, ready to take the Lotad with all that it had. Combusken, Ember!"
"Lotad, Water Gun!"
The two elemental attacks clashed and shorted each other out. Combusken, another Ember!"
"Lotad, Water Gun!"
Again, the two attacks clashed and shorted out. Steam began to fill the woods like a heavy fog. Water droplets formed on the trainers' faces. Combusken, Double Kick!" Combusken quickly landed two kicks on the Lotad and jumped back. The Lotad staggered back, but countered with Water Gun. A hissing sound was heard as the water collided with Combusken's feathers. It cried in pain from the cold water. "Combusken, Ember!" Combusken released its flames and they scorched the Lotad's front side. It cringed as the flames and the heat met its body. It shook its head to clear it, then once again fired a Water Gun. Again it met Combusken, and again it cried in pain. The exhaustion was starting to show on Combusken's and Lotad's face, and also on their respective trainers. "Combusken, one final Ember!"
It inhaled deeply then let all its energy out in this attack. It engulfed the Lotad, and it fell back, laying in the grass. It closed its eyes and started to snore.
Nexus walked up to the exhausted pokemon. He shook it gently, but it was in a deep slumber, in its own little dream world, shut off from reality. "Wow. Well, kid, I have to say, I'm impressed. That's the first time anyone has ever beaten me. Well done. I will tell the rest of the gang to lay off so you can get out of here."
"Alright. Thanks. 'Till next time, Nexus." Josh walked off from the battlefield. He peered through the trees and saw it was getting dark. He would need to find the way out fast, or have to spend the night in the woods.
"Wait!" he heard a shout from behind him. It was Nexus. "Hey, you don't even know how to get out, do you? Just follow me. I know the way." He started to walk quickly through the woods, with Josh struggling to keep up. After about a half hour, he was out of the woods. "Ok, just follow this path to Rustboro. There is a gym there. I would suggest taking on the leader to hone your skills more. Well, later kid." Nexus disappeared back into the woods, and Josh followed the path that he had pointed out.