Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pokemon Insurrection ❯ The New Golden Era ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1 - The Golden New Era
 
-Deep Inside Mount Silver-
 
A young trainer makes his way through the caverns of the great old mountain. Everything is pitch black except for a few feet around him and his Sunflora, beaming with a florescent Flash technique. He was a brave and determined young man, considered by all he met as the most powerful Pokemon trainer of his day. Though, despite all of the challenges he had surmounted so far, this particular venture unsettled him. He took nervous steps forward, slowly progressing through the black cave. Sunflora kept pace, completely confident in her trainer, almost cheerfully walking with him.
A cold chill went down his spine, he immediately brushed it off as a wandering Misdreavus who was obviously too wise to try and provoke a battle with him. It wasn't wild Pokemon that made this cave so unnerving. He had gone through too much to be scared by such things. What unsettled him so was the one thing he had been looking for for the past six months.
Ever since he had defeated Lance, the Pokemon League Champion, he had the uncontrollable urge to seek out the one person who could possibly still pose a challenge. In the entire history of the Indigo Plateau, only one person has ever turned down the position of Champion once earned. He, too, was a young boy, much like this trainer, who had experienced more than just the standard league challenge. He, too, had traveled the land, fought off hoards of Rockets, and even come face to face with some of the Legendary Birds. He, too, was considered the ultimate Pokemon Master of his day, one who had no peer.
As the young trainer took cautious steps through the cave, he recalled his journeys through Kanto. He had spent the last six months traveling the land, battling new Gym Leaders, and retracing the steps of the true Pokemon League Champion. Everyone had a different story about him, his adventures four years ago, the people he helped, the battles he had won through incredible strategy and power. Even the Pokemon he wielded and cared for seemed to change from one person's story to the next. The only certain thing though, was that he had to be here, in Mount Silver. There was no where else. He had disappeared for years, with no contact with any friends, rivals, even his own Mother. Mount Silver was the ultimate refuge for horrifically strong Pokemon, at least since the Cerulean Cave collapsed three years ago.
The trainer took another step, lost in thought, and carelessly stumbled on some gravel beneath his feet. The cave erupted with screeches and the sound of flapping wings.
Sun?”
“Sunflora! Look out!”
A Golbat zoomed down from the darkness above.
“Sudowoodo, help us out!”
A quick flash of light from a Pokeball released a Sudowoodo in front of Sunflora. The Golbat, not reacting fast enough, flew into the deceptive rock Pokemon, unprepared to attack.
“Sucker Punch!”
Sudoo!
The Pokemon's rocky fist sprang into the Golbat's gaping mouth, connecting at the back of its throat. The Golbat coughed and kneeled over, using its wings to support itself.
“Hammer Arm!”
Do!
Sudowoodo's arm came crashing down on the Golbat's head, knocking it unconscious.
“Thanks Sudowoodo, great job!” The trainer returned the rock Pokemon back to his ball. “Sunflora, you alright?”
Sunflora smiled and gave an enthusiastic nod, signaling that she was ready to continue.
Walking a little farther forward, they came across a fairly steep wall with a rope ladder leading upward, concealed by darkness. The trainer knew then that he had found what he was looking for.
“Sunflora, on my back.”
He kneeled down and allowed the Pokemon to climb on his back, gripping tightly and continuing to light the way. The trainer began to climb up, the cave now silences so that the only sound left was his breathing and the strain of the fibers underneath his feet. He reached the top of the ladder sweating. He slung himself over the top of the cave wall, which continued on as a small plateau inside the cave. Sunflora immediately got off her trainer and straightened herself up, lighting up the small plateau with her fluorescence. The sunflower Pokemon began looking around while her trainer caught his breath. Her gaze suddenly froze toward the far end of the plateau, her entire body had gone completely stiff. The trainer noticed this and followed her gaze to the far end of the plateau. Standing there was another Pokemon trainer, facing away from them, wearing jeans, a red jacket, and a red cap.
The young trainer stared for a full minute before even getting up on his own two feet. He straightened his own black and gold cap, took a determined step forward, and took a deep breath.
“You're Red, the real Pokemon League Champion and Pokemon Master,” the young trainer gulped and continued, “My name is Gold. I have defeated the eight Gym Leaders of Johto and Kanto, the Elite Four, and the current holder of the title Pokemon League Champion, Lance. I-I'm here to challenge you to a Pokemon battle!”
Gold's hand shook as he reached for his Pokeball. Red silently turned around to face him, Pokeball in hand. They threw their Pokeballs simultaneously, summoning their first choices for the battle.
Two lights flashed and quickly disappeared to reveal Gold's Sudowoodo and Red's Espeon.
“Reflect.”
A clear wall of protection flickered into existence in front of Espeon.
“Wood Hammer!”
Sudowoodo's arm came crashing down, shattering through Espeon's barrier and straight onto hiss head. Shockwaves of pain rattled both Pokemon as they ambled back a bit.
“Mud-Slap.”
Espeon spun around quickly, flicking mud up with his tail into Sudowoodo's face.
“Sudowoodo! Shake off and sucker punch him!”
Sudoooo!
The faux tree charged forward with impaired vision, Espeon sidestepped him quickly.
“Psychic.”
A flash of light from Espeon's eyes precipitated a purple aura surrounding Sudowoodo and flinging him to the far side of the plateau, knocking him unconscious. Red stood unshaped, his cap hid his eyes, and his body failed to betray even the slightest emotion.
Gold let out a growl of frustration, returned Sudowoodo to his ball, and sent out his next Pokemon. He threw out another Pokeball behind Espeon.
“Ursaring, Faint Attack!”
Out came an Ursaring, swinging a large paw down on Epseon before he could react. Espeon tumbled and rolled from the force of the strike, out cold. Red returned his first Pokemon and sent out his second.
Snooorrrrlaaaaaaaax.
A rotund Snorlax filled the battlfield. Everyone except Red took a step back in reaction.
“Thrash!”
“Rest.”
Ursaring wailed on the massive pokemon to no avail. Snorlax shrugged off all the blows and fell sound asleep.
Ur! Sar! RIIIIING!
Ursaring roared in frustration, unable to get a reaction out of his foe. Snorlax let out an ear shattering snore.
LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!”< /div>
Ursaring fell to her knees, covering her ears in pain. Gold began to do the same as Sunflora began shaking uncontrollably. Red stood unmoving and continued to stare down the battlefield as Snorlax let out another loud snore.
SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!
Gold had to shout out orders to regain control of the battle.
“URSARING! HAMMER ARM!”
Ursaring righted herself up and brought her large paw down on Snorlax. Just as her claws were about to make contact with Snorlax's large belly, his meaty hand came up to grab Ursaring's arm.
“Body Slam.”
Snoooooor.
In one smooth motion, Snorlax stood up from his resting position, shifted his weight forward, and smothered Ursaring underneath his gargantuan body.
“Get up.”
Snorlax rose, revealing an unconscious Ursaring indented into the cave floor.
Gold returned his Ursaring wordlessly and sent out his third Pokemon, continually glaring at Red from his side of the battlefield.
Hitmon Hitmon Hitmontop!
“Triple Kick!”
The newly summoned Hitmontop spun on his head and unleashed a flurry of kicks to Snorlax, knocking him on his back.
“Rest.”
“Don't give him the chance to, Hitmontop! Keep Beating on him until he's really knocked out!”
Hitmontop jumped onto Snorlax's belly and delivered countless strikes with his hands and feet, spinning the whole time. He jumped off and landed beside the large Pokemon right-side-up, exhausted and sweaty. He waited a few seconds before giving Snorlax a quick kick, to be sure he was knocked out as opposed to just resting. When no reaction came, Red returned the Snorlax and summoned a Charizard in his place.
Chaaarrrrr!
He greeted his adversary with a proud and intimidating flamethrower in the air. Hitmontop, still exausted, charged forward to deliver a Rolling Kick.
“Wing Attack.”
As Hitmontop jumped to deliver the kick midair, Charizard spread its wings. The wings clipped Hitmontop under his chin, cause him to violently flip backward and hit the ground with a hard thud. Charizard snorted out some smoke and retracted his wings.
Gold, hand now shaking, returned his Hitmontop and thought for a few seconds before sending out his next Pokemon.
Politooooeeed!
Gold's Politoed appeared in a fighting stance with a determined look on his face.
“Slash.”
“Bubblebeam!”
Charizard charged forward, claws extended. Politoed jumped high into the air, doing a front flip over Charizard's claws and landing gracefully behind him. He turned around quickly and shot a lightning fast stream of bubbles at Charizard.
Chaaaarrrrr!
Charizard was pushed back by the attack, the pain visible in his face.
“Flamethrower.”
“Bounce!”
Politoed jumped high into the air. He rebounded off the cave ceiling, sending Goldbat flying in all directions, and curled into a cannonball aimed directly for Charizard's head. Charizard stood his ground and sent a torrent of fire toward Politoed. Politoed spun threw the searing hot flames unphased, his damp skin hardly effected even by such extreme temperatures. Politoed struck Charizard's head with an audible and painful thump. Politoed landed on his feet behind Charizard, who now collapsed forward, crashing hard on the floor.
Red quickly switched out, still without any visible emotion.
Saaaauuur.
A large, imposing Venusaur took Charizard's place. Politoed's confidant face remained unchanged.
“Mega Drain.”
“Bounce back up, Politoed!”
The tree on the old creature's back glowed, sending a green beam out to Politoed. Politoed jumped high into the air, narrowly avoiding the beam and rocketing toward the cave ceiling once again. In the cave's darkness, Politoed barely noticed that instead of rock, he had this time kicked off a sleeping Goldbat's head. The awakened and enraged Goldbat erratically flew above the battlefield, screeching and sending loose stalactites falling down. Politoed crashed down on Venusaur's head and flipped backward, returning to his feet. Falling rock rained on the battlefield, striking Venusaur multiple times, though Politoed danced and dodged around it. Both Pokemon trainers and Gold's Sunflora kept a safe distance and remained unharmed.
“Synthesis.”
“Psychic!”
Venasaur's tree glowed once again, the pain visible on his face slowly disappearing. Politoed's eyes flashed purple, sending an aura around Venusaur. The massive plant giant was then lifted into the air and flung backwards. He crashed to the floor on his side, his large tree bending under his weight. He struggled weakly for a moment before losing consciousness.
Red returned his Pokemon, sending out a Blastoise onto the battlefield.
“Skull Bash.”
Blastoise lowered his head and charged toward Politoed.
“Politoed, quick! Sing your Perish Song!”
Pooolliiiii. Pooooollliiiiiii.
Black waves emanated from Politoed and surrounded both Pokemon with blood red static. Blastoise rammed Politoed with his head. A large flash sparked from the point of contact and both Pokemon fell backwards.
“Sunflora, you're up.”
Sunflora looked nervously up at her trainer, nodded energetically, and then stepped forward to the battlefield.
Red and Gold returned their unconscious Pokemon. Though Red was not reaching for another Pokeball. Gold looked at him for a moment, confused.
“I know you have one more, send him out, let's finish this!”
Red, still completely absent of any visible emotion, named his next Pokemon.
“Pikachu, go.”
A small, wide eyed Pikachu appeared from behind the trainer's leg. Slowly, it stepped forward onto the battlefield until it came face to face with Sunflora.
“Bullet Seed!”
“Quick Attack!”
Sunflora shot out seeds like a Gatling gun at Pikachu, whose incredibly spead allowed him to invisibly circle around Sunflora and strike her from behind.
“Petal Dance!”
“Thunderbolt!”
A blinding flash erupted from the center of the battlefield, obscuring both Pokemon. Both Gold and Red shielded their eyes. As the flash died down, both Pokemon could be seen standing. Sunflora, now charred, wobbled on its legs. Pikachu had cuts along his face.
Pika Pi.
Sunflora took a step toward Pikachu, then collapsed on the ground. It's florescent Flash technique died with its consciousness, leaving the cave completely black.
“I have one left.”
Gold threw a Pokeball into the darkness. After a brief flash from the ball, the cave was once again illuminated, only this time by a Typhlosion's fiery mane.
PHLOOOO!
Typhlosion and Pikachu stared each other down, knowing that defeat or victory for either would decide the true reigning Champion of the Pokemon World.
Both trainers started their command simultaneously, “WITH EVERYTHING YOU'VE GOT!”
To Typhlosion, “FIRE BLAST!”
To Pikachu, “THUNDER!”
Once again the cave was flooded with blinding light. Any wild Pokemon who had remained since the start of the battle were now fleeing rapidly, never having witnessed a display of power such as this one.
The attacks abated after what seemed to both trainers an eternity. Both Pokemon had looks of exhaustion on their face. The flames on Typhlosion's mane began to die down, the cave grew darker. Both Pokemon starred each other down once more. Pikachu's cheeks sparked.
Chaaa...
Pikachu fell forward, unconscious.
Typhlosion stood in disbelief for a moment, before letting out a victorious roar.
TYPHLOOOOOOOOOO!
“Thank's Typhlosion, you've done more than enough.”
Red walked forward slowly and picked up Pikachu. He then silently turned around and disappeared into the blackness of the cave.
Gold stood in the darkness, reflecting.
“We did it guys...we really did it. We are the best team in world. I'm the best trainer in the world.”
He stood there for a minute, starring out into space, and then repeated to himself, “the best...in the world...”
“We're world champions! Hey Typhlosion!”
Phlo!
Typhlosion righted itself with renewed vigor.
“Let's go home, I wanna tell mom back in New Bark.” he had to say it once more, still overcome by disbelief, “Typhlosion, we just beat the best trainer in the world!”
Typhlosion let out a proud and mighty roar, feeling more accomplished than he ever had.
TYPHLOOOOOOOOOOOO!
 
 
-Meanwhile, on Chrono Island-
“This is the best you could come up with?” posed a deep and commanding voice from behind a tall chair. Two Rocket Administrators held their barrets out of respect for the man berating them.
“You piss off a Gyarados and expect that to help us? There is no point in making a Pokemon strong if you cannot control them! I see it's up to me to get this operation back into fighting form. You pathetic ingrates are dismissed until I complete my plans to fix your failures and do something truly deserving of the name Rocket.”
“Yessir, Master Giovanni!” both administrators answered immediately.
The shorter of the two blurt out, “Is there nothing we can get you, Master Giovanni?”
“Do you idiots not understand basic English? I said you were dismissed! LEAVE ME!”
Both left the room immediately, the door closed behind.
A Persian jumped up onto the man's lap an nuzzled his hand.
“Not now, Persian. We have big plans ahead of us. I need to concentrate.”