Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Rain Dance ❯ Rising Action ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
The clouds hung low in the sky, leaving the day dark and grim. Even though it was almost midday, the mid-July day seemed so cold and bleak that it seemed much like a late November evening. Off in the distance lightning flashed through the air, followed after a brief pause by crackling thunder. Batoy could smell the thick scent of rain almost as soon as he exited his former hiding place. The air was thick and humid yet the draft winds sent shivers down his spine.

"Hey, guys… it might get a little dangerous, so you should rest up…" he said, glancing at the three Pokemon beside him. He withdrew two balls, first recalling Ollie. The Jolteon vanished under the bright flash of light and retreated into his red and white sphere. He glanced at Jet, and nodded. "I promise, I'm gonna get rid of this thing so we won't have to deal with it anymore, okay? But… I need you to keep it with you in your pokeball, okay?" The Quilava nodded begrudgingly and also vanished in the red light, the chip between his fangs.

That left Meta, who stared at Batoy with indignant eyes. Her paws sank slightly in the moist ground, mud trying to ooze between her toes. She batted her ears and glanced towards Batoy's waist. "I thought… we could talk a little…" Batoy said uncertainly, and when it became apparent that she wasn't going to be recalled, Meta threw up her tail in a huff. Batoy sighed and kneeled slightly. "Could… I pick you up?" The Eevee didn't make a noise, but she didn't struggle as Batoy looped his arms underneath her and scooped her up. In fact, she seemed almost dead in her lack of motion.

A sense of lost immediately overcame him as he stepped from the base of the massive oak tree. Despite the base having existed among its roots for merely two weeks now, it was still the closest thing the boy could call to home. But now Batoy had to abandon it and move on. Hopefully, he could get to a Pokemon Center without getting caught and contact his mentor Lizbeth, but until then, he had to be on his guard. The ground here was uneven, and though Batoy had traversed these grounds before, he still had trouble keeping his balance, especially with Meta's weight in his arms. More than a few times, his sneakers slipped on the slick bark of a fallen oak or the loose mud of a shallow incline, sending the youth either tumbling into the wet ground or splashing in a shallow puddle, much to Meta's chagrin. The small white Eevee leapt from Batoy's arms and landed daintily on the ground, watching with contempt as he picked himself out of a puddle.

The trees rattled slightly as a roll of thunder rumbled through the thick air. Batoy rubbed his hands together, the cold water numbing them. He glanced towards the Eevee and sighed. "Look, Meta…." His words left him. What could he possibly say? After all, the Eevee's distrust in him was fairly placed. He'd let Team Magma cause her so much pain with no resistance at all. Asking anything of her wouldn't be fair. "I'm sorry… I know it doesn't mean anything, but that's really all I can say… I wish I could make the pain go away. You know I do…."

The Eevee glanced at him, an ear flicking in annoyance. She raised a paw, showing a balding patch right at the ankle; the rest of the fur around that area was discolored in comparison to the silver and white fur that coated her body. ~Vee…~ she muttered, glaring with accusing eyes. Batoy sank slightly and trudged forward, picking the Eevee up gently. "Balding…you've been shedding?" he mumbled. Whatever Team Magma had done to her in their experiments, she was suffering more now. There had to be some way to end it. He moved forward before looking up at the angry sky. "Why couldn't things just be simpler…?"

~Verree..~ Meta growled, her ears flicking, and not a moment later, a sudden rush of barking filled the air. Batoy uttered a slur before turning and running from the sounds of his pursuers. The brush was thick and whipped at his face, but he powered through, his grip tightening on the little Eevee. Batoy jinked and turned, doing everything in his ability to shake whatever had given chase. But nothing worked; the barks grew louder and closer. "H-How… How're they keeping up?!" he panted in a hoarse stricken voice. His lungs heaved as he duked and dodged, zigged and zagged. But still they grew closer.

A thick root appeared from nowhere, snagging Batoy's foot and sending the youth sprawling to the ground, the Eevee flying from his arms. She hit the ground hard, and immediately rebounding, growling at Batoy, her diminutive fangs peeking from her muzzle. Batoy crawled up, wincing. "Darnit…" he muttered as he started looking around. Besides a small black bird that fluttered away as soon as his eyes chanced upon it, he saw no motion. The distance barking seemed to die away. He glanced towards Meta and sighed. "I'm so sorry, girl…" he said, but the Eevee glared at him with livid eyes. Batoy's shoulders sank as he searched for something, anything, that could alleviate the situation, but he came up blank. If only things had turned out differently… "Come on," he said softly, and the Eevee begrudgingly obeyed. It hurt to be uncaringly stern.

The trees thinned out and eventually faded to rocky crags. Batoy came to a halt and sagged against a tall spire of rock with Meta trotting and sitting just out of reach. Similar spires aligned a circular field with grooves carved into the ground. Someone must have used this place as a make-shift coliseum, as the markings were roughly similar to those of an official battlefield. One of the spires had crumbled to the ground, probably from a battle between two passing trainers. Close to the coliseum was a moderately high wall of rock carved into a rocky hill with a path working up the face. The path led up around the hill and deeper towards the mountains. "Let's see… since I'm here, that means… I'm to the south. I could head on to Canalave, that's closer, but… wasn't Lizbeth coming from Lake Acuity? But that's so far...." He looked around and sighed, slumping down against one of the spires and glanced at Meta. "Well… we lost them," he said, trying to grin, but the Eevee only turned away. Marking that, a lightning bolt ripped above him, and Batoy squeezed his hands over his ears just before a gigantic clap of thunder rattling the area. The air grew thicker.

The boy sat there for a few more minutes before crawling back to his feet. The first droplets of rain patted his head, and he groaned. A sudden flutter of wings caught his attention, and Batoy turned to see the Murkrow settle atop one of the far spires. He glanced at it curiously, and it responded likewise. "Weird… never saw one of those before… eh… I don't care… I gotta find a way to get outta here before it starts pouring again. Meta?" The Eevee flattered her ears, snarling at the small black bird. Her hackles bristled and her deep brown eyes narrowed. She looked around frantically, her body rigid, before finally spinning as the Murkrow took flight to land on the shoulder of a man leaning next to another far pillar. Batoy's eyes widened, and he silently berated himself. How had he not noticed him earlier?

"Hmm, orange hair, wiry frame, so you're probably that little thief… for some reason, I expected a little bit more.” The sharp masculine voice caught the poor boy completely by surprise and Batoy backed up a little. The tall sturdy man stepped forward. He was graced with rich blond hair and a strong chin, and his bright blue eyes focused on the boy in front of him. His arms were bulky with muscle, and his camouflaged clothes were stretched tight across his broad shoulders and large thighs. His face was aglow with a satisfied smirk. "I hate thieves."

"Wh-wha? Who the heck are you?" Batoy said, his voice quivering. His mind was racing rapidly.

"Heh, not the brightest one, I see…" the man said simply, before pointing towards an insignia on his shoulder. It was a plain thing, hard to notice, a letter ‘H' with the horizon bar appearing to be a bolt of lightning. "Of course, I could be cruel, not answer your question, and just do my job, but then again, where's the fun in that?" The man smiled before recalling the Murkrow into a pokeball. The boy's fright was delicious. "Let's just say that I'm a Hunter. You can call me Hawk."

"You… you're military?" Batoy could scarcely believe what came out of his own mouth. The only member of an armed force he'd ever known of was the American gym leader, Lt. Surge of Kanto's Vermillion City. But the Hunters were legendary; an elite squad of soldier-trainers that even the country's government refused to acknowledge. "Well… I guess I don't need to be getting in your way, then… Meta, let's go," Batoy said, sounding braver than he felt. He called to the Eevee, and hesitantly, she turned to move away, casting a wary eye towards the man.

Hawk only grinned, and his hand slid into his pocket. "Sorry, kid, but a job's a job. Let's just cut the crass and get on with it," he said, his face as jolly as could be. "I'd really like to get this over with before the rain starts again." He withdrew a small sphere that quickly enlarged, revealing a purple body with a white ‘M' engraved into the top. Even in the dim light, Batoy's eyes twitched at the sight of the Master Ball. "So, if you'd come quietly? You won't be hurt if you do."

Without a word, Batoy turned quickly, grapping a hold to the ledge above his head and pulling himself up. "Meta, let's go!" he said urgently, not looking at the little Eevee as she broke into a run, and with but a few bounds, she had covered most of the ground between her and the boy. But they had not gone two meters before a bright light materialized in front of them. Meta crouched, growling, as the light faded and pine green armor of a massive Pokemon revealed itself. Its squat legs sank into the rock, creating fractures and the blue patch of armor on its belly rumbled. The Pokemon glared at the two of them before roaring with the might of thunder.

"Allow me to introduce this Tyranitar," Hawk said jovially, his arms crossed. "He is a relatively recent acquisition. Caught him terrorizing a mountain village while I was on a job. He's been quite useful, and I must say, he has quite a dislike for kids and runt Pokemon." Hawk grinned again as the Tyranitar stepped forward. The beast's eyes narrowed as he towered above Batoy, his claws flexing and relaxing, a cracking sound emanating from them.

Batoy slowly backing away, his face mixed with worry and distress. He glanced back at Meta, and then at Hawk, his eyes looking for any avenue of escape, any path that he could take to get out of this mess. None immediately presented themselves. He glanced back at Meta. He couldn't recall her without instigating the Tyranitar. "So…" he said slowly. "What happens now, huh?" Slowly he edged down the path, keeping his eyes fixed on Hawk.

With but a snap of Hawk's fingers, the Tyranitar roared, and Batoy halted immediately. "I think you overestimate what little position you have, kid" he said, smirking. "I'm the one holding the royal flush here." His grin slowly fell, though. "But in all seriousness, you have two choices. You can either come with me quietly, or you can resist. I'm perfectly fine with both choices, but I think it'd be in your best interest to just come without a hassle."

Batoy quickly glanced back towards the Tyranitar, then to Meta, and back to Hawk. His hands slid into his pockets. There was just no way he could risk Meta, especially in her condition. But likewise, there was no way he could fail this mission. The consequences would be too great. He glanced back at the little Eevee. She had engaged in a growling contest with the Tyranitar, her hackles raised, her fur bristling. "Meta…" he whispered in warning, but she paid him no heed.

"This is your last chance to surrender, kid," Hawk said. "Tyranitar!"

The massive creature stepped forward, but it was Meta who struck first. Without warning, the small creature leapt onto Batoy's shoulder, propelling off of it, and moving into a somersault. Her tail shimmered with a metallic glow, and she slammed it into the Tyranitar's shoulder, a metal clang ringing out through the thick air. The Tyranitar recoiled in irritation, a claw brushing his shoulder as the Eevee landed on the ground, panting slightly.

Hawk raised an eyebrow. "So that's your decision, huh? Fine, then, more fun for me. Tyranitar, attack!" Almost immediately, jets of sand rushed from the chinks in the Tyranitar's armor, mixing with the strengthening wind. Batoy covered his face and Meta gritted her teeth as both braced against the abrasive sand stream. Roaring, the Tyranitar spun around, slamming his tail against the side of the wall. Whether or not the tail was meant to strike Batoy or the little Eevee was unknown, but as the thick truck of a tail collided with the stony wall, the force knocked both of them from their feet, sending them to the ground below.

"Ugh… Meta…" Batoy groaned as he crawled to his knees, his hand quickly moving to grasp his right arm, the point which first hit the ground. But Meta had already gotten to her paws, and her steel-cold eyes locked upon the much larger beast above them. Batoy pushed himself all the way up. Meta had landed a decent hit on the Tyranitar earlier. Maybe it was possible for her to win. He nodded, biting his lip. "Alright!" he shouted, his heart in his throat. "We'll go for it again. Meta, Iron Tail!"

The command had barely been given before Meta took off, a dizzying display of her footwork as she dashed from side to side before leaping up to the level of the Tyranitar and then up one more. Again, the fur on her tail tightened and hardened with a glowing sheen, and once against she pulled into a somersault. But as she lashed out her tail in the final attack, the Tyranitar hunched slightly, and the attack barely grazed his head.

And moments later, Meta was sent flying as the Tyranitar pushed up, slamming his head into her body. She landed haphazardly in front of the Tyranitar, barely managing to stay upright, but the stinging sands caused her to fall. Crawling back to her paws, she glared at the armored Pokemon, squinting her eyes to block the sand. Batoy grimaced as he continued to shield himself. "Nugh… can't try that again… Meta, Shadow Ball!"

A swirling mass of dark violet energy appeared in Meta's muzzle, her eyes darkenin0g the same. The mass twisted and warped, eventually creating a sphere just as large as the Eevee's own body. Reeling back, she thrust her head forward, sending the sphere rushing at the Tyranitar. But rather than block, the mighty beast just stood still, letting the attack hit square in his chest. The resulting explosion only forced it to take a step back, but as the smoke cleared, wisped away by the sand stream, the Tyranitar stood unscathed, his maw locked into a snarl.

Batoy bit his lip. The attack had failed to do anything substantial, and already Meta was already on the verge of fainting. "Come on, Meta, hang in there!" he called, but when a tuff of the Eevee's fur pelted him in the chest, his eyes went wide. Meta was starting to shed again. ~Veee…~ she crowed miserably, her legs started to quiver. Her right paw had started to bald even more now, and caught in a crevice close by, tugging against the sandy winds, was even more fur. The harsh sands stripped her of more strands with each second.

"You know, I was hoping for a bit more of a show," Hawk said. "And here I was, just letting you attack, but honestly, this has become quite boring. Three attacks and your Pokemon already looks like it's going to roll over and die."

"Oh, god…" Why it'd taken Batoy so long to realize, he'd never know. "I don't want to give up… not when I'm so close, but… I gotta… Meta, return!" He withdrew Meta's Pokeball, but as he cast the return beam, the little Eevee broke it, shaking her head. "Wh-what? Meta, you have to return!" Again he tried to recall her, and this time she jumped out of the way. But as she did so, another vortex of violet energy collected in her muzzle, and she hurtled it at the Tyranitar.

But the attack went low, and instead of striking the beast, it grazed off his leg and into the ground right next two it. Fractures appeared in the surrounding stone, and the Tyranitar's eyes widened just before the ground beneath him gave way and he landed roughly on the level below, on his back and now extremely peeved.

Likewise, Hawk narrowed his eyes. "I see. You want to play like that, eh," he growled as the Eevee landed on the higher ground. The Tyranitar pulled to his feet, his eyes glowering at the Eevee, who, despite her heavy panting, was grinning with satisfaction. "Tyranitar! Ice Beam!" A misty frost coated the Tyranitar's muzzle as he sent a thin blue ray soaring towards the Eevee. The Eevee only barely managed to duck down as the beam grazed her ears, coating them with ice, plastering the wall behind her with the same frozen substance. She mewled piteous as she shook her ears free.

"Focus Punch!" The Tyranitar rushed forward, his claw aglow. Meta backed away, but when the powerful attack collided with the wall, the entire wall crumbled around her, threatening to take her with it.

Batoy quickly snapped out of the daze he'd fallen into. "Meta, hurry! Quick Attack!" Just as the ground she stood on crumbled, Meta leapt, gracefully moving from stone to crumbling stone before landing on the level plane behind Tyranitar. But she didn't stop there. Quickly pivoting on a paw, something that brought a growl of pain, she sped towards the Tyranitar again, her whole body aglow. She swiftly rammed herself against the back Tyranitar's head just as he removed his claw to look over his handiwork.

Taken completely by surprise, the Tyranitar fell over into the rubble, a chink in the armor where the attack had connected. "Wow… I didn't know her secret power was that strong…" Batoy mused before coming to his senses. "Great job, Meta! Let's get out of here!" he yelled, but the Eevee had frozen in place. Her eyes glazed over and her fur hung pale and limp. Her chest heaved as she began to go into convulsions.

But before Batoy could rush to her, the Tyranitar stirred and lifted himself out of the rubble. He turned towards the Eevee, and before Batoy could shout at a warning, slammed his tail into Meta's body, sending her flying and skidding against the ground. She coughed as her body spasmed, but yet she still climbed to her feet. The Tyranitar started for her.

"Move, Meta!" But it was to no avail. The Eevee took a single step before falling, her tail quivering. The Tyranitar set upon, grabbing her in his massive claw and flinging her towards the rubble. She hadn't finished skidding before the blue ray rushed through the air, striking her body dead on. The force slammed her into the rubble, and after a rush of cold air, Meta was left encased in an icy chip, jagged rocks frozen inside with her.

Batoy closed his eyes and only squeezed them harder together, as if that would block the sound of the ice shattering as the Tyranitar slammed his tail into the chip. He could only wish he'd never opened his eyes when he did. Meta lay unmoving, half-buried under the crumbled rock. Much of the fur around her legs and belly had been shed. Her paws twitched reflexively, as if random nerves were firing with her last breath. The Tyrantiar loomed over her, golden flames licking his maw. It would be a horrible way to go.

"No, please stop!" Batoy pleaded as he made a mad scramble in front of the giant Pokemon. "Please, I'll do whatever you want me to do, just please leave Meta alone! Please don't kill her!"

The Tyranitar cast a glance towards Hawk, who merely shrugged, and the golden flames died down. Batoy could barely look at the Eevee as he picked up her cold body and pressed her against him. "Oh, I'm so sorry, Meta…" The Eevee didn't crack an eye, but quivered. ~Ee……vee….~ Her voice gargled as if her throat was filled with liquid. It wasn't much, but at least she was still alive. He clutched her even closer, the urge to cry overwhelming. "Oh, Meta… please… please forgive me…." The stinging sands finally fell, replaced by the first droplets of rain.