Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Rain Dance ❯ Recovery ( Chapter 12 )

[ A - All Readers ]
“Pardon me… Batoy?”

“H-Huh?” Batoy looked up with tired, heavy eyes, blinking away the sand that had gradually covered his eyes. “What’s the news?”

“Well….” The nurse in front of him hesitated a bit. “We’d like to keep them a few more hours for observation. While none of your Pokemon have any broken limbs, they’ve been suffering from exhaustion. We believe that allowing them to relax and regain their strength would be the best course of action in this situation. But we cannot keep them here against your wishes as their trainer. What do you want us to do?”

“You said… you wanted to observe them some more? If it’ll make them better and happier… I’m all for that….”

The nurse bent over closer. “You look like you should get some food, too. We have a cafeteria in the lounge. It’ll do you good.” She stood back up then took her leave.

Batoy watched her go then sighed. His stomach was cramping with the need for nourishment, but there was no way he could move until he was absolutely sure everyone was okay. Jet, Manual, Max, and even Ollie were all under watch, and he hadn’t gotten to see any of them since he’d arrived at the Pokemon Center. His shoulders sagged. How could he make them fight in a tournament or take part in a show if they were already overworked and overstressed? He couldn’t. To do so would be cruel and inhuman.

But the sterile atmosphere of the Center was stifling. It was unlike the Center he’d slept at days before; this one almost perfectly resembled a human hospital. At this time of night, it was almost deathly quiet. The hallways were running on secondary lights, giving just enough glow to illuminate the path. Through the hour that he’d been waiting, Batoy had only seen two other nurses and one Chansey walk this hallway.

“I gotta get some air….” Batoy stood up and sighed. He felt horrible. Nervous chills kept running up his spine, and at times, his own shadow seemed writhe. Batoy shook his head. The last thing he needed right now was to start imagining things. He looked around, getting his bearings and started down the hallways. He paused next to one door and laid a hand on it. His Pokemon were there, recovering and resting. They’d been hurt in a totally unnecessary fight, and it was all his fault. Perhaps had he sought a more peaceful solution, things would’ve been different….

His trek towards the outdoors led him to the Center’s cafeteria; a small, dimly lit room with a row of lights illuminating a salad bar. Batoy fetched a small plastic plate and piled it with lettuce, onions and carrots, lightly coating it with dressing, and he snatched a pair of rolls from a nearby breadbasket, as well as a fork. He took a seat in next to one of the adjacent halls. The rolls disappeared all too fast, and before Batoy knew it, his fork was toying with the last stubborn bit of carrot. He sighed as he tossed the plate in a waste bin and made his way out. He felt terribly guilty, but at least the cramps in his stomach lessened.

A chill moist wind met Batoy as he stepped out underneath the main awning, and he shivered again. A thick fog had rolled through the streets and visibility was dropping by the minute. Sinnoh was just so much colder and just as wet as Hoenn was. Leaning on a rail, Batoy’s mind wandered to the famous sandbaths and hotsprings of Lavaridge. A brief smile covered his face. He couldn’t remember a more relaxing time than soaking in hot bubbling waters while Jet lay nearby, murring in comfort in the sands that covered him. That was years ago, and Batoy wondered if he’d ever see Lavaridge again.

“Korin! Where are you?! Korin!”

Batoy raised his head to the sudden voice that floated out of the darkness. It came from down the road. “Where are you, buddy? Korin!” The voice sounded familiar. Trudging along as a brisk pace was Peter, his face contorted with worry. “Please, Korin, come out!”

“P-Peter?”

Peter stopped his frantic search and turned towards Batoy. “Oh! Um, hey, pal. You… you wouldn’t have happened to have seen a Shinx around here, have ya?”

Batoy shook his head. “No… I haven’t….” He glanced at his friend. “Why’re you looking for one?”

Peter made his way to a chair and slumped into it. “Not just anyone… this Shinx is the first Pokemon I’ve ever bred. He’s really special and very rare, even when normal Shinx are kinda common. He’s my best friend in the whole world, and he’s always helped me when I’m with other Pokemon… I just don’t understand why he’d run away….”

“How long’s he been gone? Maybe he hasn’t gone far?”

“I don’t know… Beth told me he ran away over half a day ago, and I’ve been looking for him since.” Peter ran his hand through his dark hair. “I don’t know, Batoy… should I just give up? I’ve been looking so long and I haven’t found him yet… I just can’t figure out why he’d run away….”

Batoy frowned. Something about the whole thing troubled him. “Uh… why didn’t Bethany go after your Shinx?” he asked, though the answer was already floating in his head.

“I don’t know…” Peter said with a tired sigh. “I rushed off as soon as she told me to start looking. I searched the whole building first, even all the spots we used to play hide and seek. Then I just started circling outwards.” He shook his head. “Why now? The show’s like 12 hours… Boss is counting on me to do well…”

“I…” Batoy held his tongue. Would asking about Bethany’s involvement help Peter? Would the boy even know anything about why Team Magma was there? Batoy sighed. Peter seemed honest, but he doubted that the breeder would know any useful information. “I could help you look… if you wanted me, too.”

Peter’s eyes lit up, but he shook his head. “Thanks… you’re a great pal, but I think it’s about hopeless. I’m starting to think that Korin just doesn’t want me to find him. If he doesn’t, there’s no way I’m gonna be able to track him down.”

“What’s gonna happen now, then?”

“I… I don’t know… Beth’s probably gonna represent us by herself. She’ll do okay, but I was wanting to really get to compete. Korin was my secret weapon for the examination portion and it would’ve guaranteed us a spot.”

“What’s special about him?”

Peter smiled, despite himself. “I won’t say. It’s something you gotta see… well, I’m going to head back now. It was good talkin’ to ya, Batoy.” He took a deep breath then mustered a grin. “Don’t worry about it. You’re gonna be part of the show, too, right? I think you guys’ll have fun. I think I’m just gonna keep looking for Korin tomorrow.”

Peter stood to leave, but at that moment, there was a sudden commotion on the street beside them. Through the fog, a chorus of yipping and barking came, followed by a scrambling of claws that drew closer and closer. Bursting through the murk was a pack of Poochyena, racing haphazardly through the streets, howling and barking without any regard to whoever heard. Confused, the two boys watched the fairly large pack rush by. The clamor fell as the pack disappeared into a far alleyway.

“That was… kinda weird, huh?” Peter said before sighing. “Well… if you see a Shinx… just find me, okay?”

But Peter had scarcely said the phrase before there was a suddenly cry from the alleyway. Through the fog, Batoy could barely see the faint yellow glow of electricity flaring wildly. There was a sound of yips and growls. “That is weird… I wonder what’s going on over there…”

He looked over towards Peter, but the boy was shivering. “That… that was Korin over there…” he stammered, and Batoy rose a little.

“You sure?”

“I’d never mistake it! That’s Korin! He’s in trouble!” Peter vaulted over the railing and landed spryly on the street below, and after composing himself, Batoy followed. The two raced into the fog towards the glowing light, and as they approached, the crackle of electricity buzzed in their ears. They turned a corner, and Peter shouted. “Korin!”

Before them, there was the pack of Poochyena, led in the front by a massive Mightyena. The giant dog was bent over, snarling at a glowing Pokemon in front of it. Sparking wildly, with electricity flowing from glowing yellow rings around his front paws, was Korin. Batoy’s eyes went wide. He’d not seen many Shinx since he’d arrived in Sinnoh, but enough to know that they were generally blue and black. But the one in front of him was golden.

But Batoy didn’t have time to marvel. The Shinx was wounded in multiple places with what seemed to be bite and claw marks, yet it stood rigid and bold in front of the Mightyena. ~Shhhiiinxxx…~ he growled lowly, electricity lacing his body. The Mightyena lashed forward, and Korin leapt, pouncing on the dog’s head and letting a bolt of lightning discharge. The Mightyena and several of the smaller pups howled in pain, and though Korin was shaken off, three of the Poochyena joined their brethren on the alley streets, paralyzed or unconscious.

Korin landed roughly and fell, looking up at the Mightyena. The giant dog shook its head before focusing on the fallen cub. It would have lunged forward if it weren’t for a pair of claws that sank into the back of its head. It howled as a graceful dark blue feline landed beside the Shinx. Korin looked at the Glameow, and then past the Mightyena, and his pained expression relaxed with relief. He could see Peter holding out a ball, a rare frown splashed across his face. “Nyaru! Fake Out!” The Glameow rushed the Mightyena, pouncing and raking both of its paws down across the Mightyena’s eyes. The dog howled as it recoiled, and Peter rushed by, scooping up Korin. “Korin! Are you okay?”

The Shinx purred happily as he pressed against his breeder. For the first time that day, he felt safe and secured, and even though the Mightyena still stood, he could have cared less. The only thing that mattered was that he was in the arms of his trainer. “You had me worried sick, Korin…” Peter scolded lightly, but his eyes had teared over before he glared at the Mightyena. “You were gonna hurt Korin… Nyaru, go! Fury Swipes!”

The feline pounced on the Mightyena again, and though the dog shook violently, it could not manage to shake of the pertinacious cat. Nyaru furiously clawed at the Mightyena, scratching at its eyes and the top of its skull. Despite its thrashing, the canine could not shake the cat off. It gave a howl for the Poochyena to aid, but one had scarcely stepped forward before a hiss from Nyaru sent it scurrying away. More of the Poochyena began to creep away from their distressed alpha, too cowardly to face a trained Pokemon, despite their advantage in numbers. The Shinx had been a pawful already; there was no way they’d be able to overwhelm a fresh Pokemon with two humans standing nearby.

Nyaru leapt off the Mightyena’s head, landing gracefully on the cobblestone below. The great dog bellowed, but its roar suddenly fell short as it realized that its pack had totally abandoned it. It glared violently at the Glameow, but its raised tail slowly drooped. Its eyes twitched, as if two opposing thoughts were combating in its mind. Finally, it turned away and slunk off; casting the two humans and two Pokemon one of the most hateful glares Batoy had ever seen in his life.

Peter deflated, his shoulders dropping as he relaxed. His fury has vanished like it’d been blown away in a sudden gale. He hugged Korin tightly to his chest as Nyaru stalked beside his leg. “Thanks Nyaru. You were such a big help. How’re you feeling, Korin?” The Shinx mewled then yawned, curling up in Peter’s arms and almost immediately falling asleep. Peter smiled before recalling Nyaru with his free hand. He glanced at Batoy and smiled. “Korin’s exhausted, and Nyaru’ll probably sleep tomorrow away. I guess we’re out of the show tomorrow…”

Batoy frowned. He’d stood behind Peter, watching him battle, helpless to do anything. Now his own mind was holding his words back. “Um… Peter?” he said hesitantly.

Peter shook his head. “Hey, Batoy, I wanna thank ya for sticking by me. You were at the center, so I’m guessing your Pokemon are resting there. You still came over here with me, even though there wasn’t anything you could do, and you could’ve gotten hurt… you’re a great friend. I don’t know why Korin ran away, but he’s safe now, and that’s all that matters to me.”

“So… you don’t….”

“No, I don’t.”

Batoy nodded and looked back out of the alleyway. If someone he knew threatened his Pokemon, would he want to know about it? Even if that person were a close friend? “Okay… are you still gonna come to the show, though?” he asked.

“Yea. Just cause I won’t compete this time doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t come. I love watching shows. They’re one of the reasons I became a breeder. I wanted to be like the awesome breeders and trainers I saw on TV. This was gonna be a big opportunity for me, but I wouldn’t be a very good one if I forced Korin or Nyaru to compete after tonight… ‘Sides, it’s not like this is the last show ever.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” Batoy said, though his gut still rumbled.

The two boys made their way back to the Pokemon Center, a task far trickier than it should have been due to the thickening fog. Visibility had dropped to only a few meters distance, and through the haze, Batoy couldn’t even make out the neon lights of buildings not more than 10 meters away. Were it not for Peter, Batoy imagined he’d have wandered in a circle until the fog lifted. “You’re gonna be okay on your way back?” he asked Peter as he made his way up the steps to the center.

Peter stopped just before the steps. “Yeah, I’ve been in this city a few years now. I know my way around pretty well. See ya tomorrow? I’ll be rooting for you!”

Batoy nodded. “Y-yeah, c’ya.”

Peter waved and stepped off into the fog, disappearing almost immediately in the murk. Batoy turned and made his way inside. The dryer warmer air greeted him, but the darkened halls after the lit lobby offered no solace. Batoy couldn’t shake the feeling in his gut. Had Peter already known what Bethany was doing? If he did, why didn’t he stop her? Was he on her side in the whole thing? Did he just not want to know what was going on? Batoy’s stomach burned. “Ugh… what was he feeling? I just don’t get it… doesn’t make sense….”

His footsteps echoed in the sterile halls, and ghosts were almost upon him when he spotted one of the physicians, Dr. Cardinal, that were overseeing his Pokemon, and his nerves calmed. The doctor approached him. “You can see your Pokemon now,” he said warmly, though Batoy could see the hours wearing on him. Batoy nodded, and the doctor led him down an adjacent hall and through a set of double doors. They passed through one more set of doors, and Batoy gaped at the sudden change in the tone of the room. Instead of the concrete rooms he was used to seeing, the floor of this room was covered in the most realistic synthetic grass Batoy had ever seen. The walls were painted, with the bottom boarder reflecting the grass and the rest resembling the sky. There were even little white clouds. The room was very warm and comfortable.

His Pokemon were resting comfortably in the grass, each one curled up, their eyes closed, their bodies rising and falling with relaxed breathing. The Pokemon had paired up, with Manual resting against Max’s body, and Ollie leaning against Jet’s. Every one of them looked well fed and at peace. Batoy smiled and sat against the wall, watching them. “Thanks, a lot,” he said to Dr. Cardinal. “Do you think… I could just stay in here?” Dr. Cardinal nodded and excused himself, while Batoy just sat in the warmth.

“Rest up, guys… we have to work hard… tomorrow….”