Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Rain Dance ❯ Chateau ( Chapter 17 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Batoy awoke to the cheerful twittering of Kricitune, free of the soreness that he’d grown used to accompanying him. A light fog left him slightly damp, but the clear sky promised a warm and sunny day. Batoy stretched and rubbed his eyes. Last night’s dreams left him energized and happy, something that hadn’t happened since he’d been twelve years old. He almost regretted waking, but at the same time, his newfound energy compelled him to get up and going.

He looked around, but Mia’s spot on the ground was vacant. The girl’s knapsack lay where it had the previous night, but there was only a light impression of her body on the grass. A bottle of fresh water laid nearby, condensation rolling down the plastic. Next to it was a large bowl of water. The girl was probably washing up, Batoy thought offhandedly to himself as he pulled his pokeballs from his pocket. “Come on out, guys,” he called, releasing the four Pokemon. “You should get some exercise. It’s gonna be a pretty day today.”

~Vee, Eevee~ Manual chirped as he stretched, his bushy tail waving. Batoy knelt and scratched the Eevee behind his ears. He grinned and looked around at the rest of his Pokemon. When was the last time he was able to do that and just enjoy their presence? Too long. Was his mood a result of the wonderful dreams or just a good night’s sleep? Batoy didn’t care. He just wanted the feeling to last forever.

“You know, guys? This feels real good, don’tcha think?” The sun climbed steadily higher, peaking in through the branches of the trees, but it hadn’t gotten hot enough to be uncomfortable. “Yeah… everything’s about perfect now.”

Batoy stood and the four Pokemon looked up at him before scattering to do their own things. Jet yawned and stretched, a ripple of flames rolling down his back before fizzling out. The grass around his paws blackened slightly and Jet rubbed his snout to hide a smirk. Ollie and Manual both trotted towards the bowl of water. The Eevee reached it first and began to lap vigorously at it. Ollie watched his brother’s antics, shaking his head. In a gasp to breathe for air, Manual looked up and immediately tilted his head in confusion. He pushed the bowl closer with a paw and grinned sheepishly, embarrassed over his piggish behavior. Ollie shook his head and pushed the water back. The Eevee shrugged and plunged his head into the bowl again.

Max trotted away and fell back against a tree. Last night’s sleep had not been restful for him; instead, it had been oddly dreamless and empty. The Raichu rubbed his eyes and stared at the trees. A light breeze past through, and Max stifled the yawn that tried to escape. Yet, despite his exhaustion, sleep refused to come to him. He couldn’t even close his eyes. Something through those trees kept him awake, a presence in the back of his mind that teased him, toyed with him. ~Chu…~ he sighed as he tried to nap, but the presence foiled him again, and Max sighed as he relented to just enjoy the breeze.

The tingling in his mind grew suddenly, and Max looked up to see a shadow slowly approaching. A sudden spike of fear rushed through him as he slowly climbed to his paws. The shadow neared, and Max’s cheeks began to spark. ~Chu, Raichu!~ he cried out in a warning, and Batoy glanced over to him and followed his gaze. “Oh, there you are, Mia!”

The Raichu blinked in confusion as what had been a shadow dispersed, replaced by the blue-haired girl. Mia gave a warm smile and a silent wave, her eyes passing over Max for a brief moment. A shiver passed through the Raichu; he’d been expecting a look of anger, or at least acknowledgement of his feelings. But instead, there had just been a greeting, a notice that he was alive and well. Max shook the thoughts from his head. Maybe he was just imagining things.

“Sorry about that. I woke up early and decided to take a walk around,” Mia said, looking around at all the Pokemon. “Thought it’d be a good idea to get acquainted with the area so we don’t get lost.”

“Yeah, I hear ya,” Batoy said, grunting as he stretched his arms. “So, when’re we gonna head out?”

“Whenever you’re ready, really. I know where to go, so it won’t be too long.”

“Alright. Hey Ollie, Manny! Where’re you guys?” The Eevee had abandoned its gluttonous gulping of water and was now harassing a Combee as it flittered between the trees, its attention focused solely on a yellowish tree oozing with sap. Manual pounced at it, narrowly missing its buzzing wings with his outstretched paws, only to sigh when Batoy’s call signaled the end of his game. Looking longingly at the Combee, he turned and scampered back to his trainer.

While his brother played, Ollie had taken the time to nestle down into the grass, his eyes closed, his fur waving gently in the breeze. It wasn’t often he got to enjoy such a peaceful morning, where he could just lay and relax, take a drink from the nearby bowl at his leisure. So it was with great reluctance that he rose when Batoy called.

Batoy knelt down and rubbed the two Pokemon. “Hey, don’t be like that. There’s gonna be plenty of time to relax and have fun. We just need to get to work.” The boy looked around. “Come on Jet, we’re heading out. Max, you, too!” The two Pokemon neared, and one by one, all four were recalled. “Once we get there, I’ll let you all play. I just don’t want any of you to get lost on the way,” he said as he slid the final ball into his pocket.

“You seem in a good mood,” Mia said she scooped up her knapsack and buckled it around her waist. She smiled faintly. “Sleep well?”

“Yeah, it’s been a long time since I’ve ever felt this rested,” Batoy sighed as he stretched again. The morning felt so good, he never wanted it to end. “What about you?”

“Can’t complain,” she said with a shrug, looking towards the west away from Batoy. “Anyways, that’s the direction we need to go. Let’s head out.”

---

The two walked, Mia leading. The chirping of the insects fell to the song of birds as the sun climbed ever higher and the August heat fought with the cool breezes that swept through the canopies. Batoy trotted with his eyes half closed, not bothered by the peaceful silence. Little passed through his mind, save for the glee that once this business was done, he could just relax. No more missions, no more stealing, he could just be with his Pokemon and maybe even return home. A smiled passed over his face.

“What’s got you smiling all of a sudden?” Mia asked, looking back.

“Oh, nothin’. Just enjoying the day. It’s gonna be perfect.”

“Perfect, eh?” Mia asked. A smile was on her face, but her tone dropped a bit. “Well, we can only hope. Remember, we are going to a haunted mansion, so just remember to stay on your guard. Ghost Pokemon can be rather devious.”

“Something up? You’re so serious…”

“It’s nothing,” Mia said, smiling still. “It’d just really suck if things turned out more complicated than I’m assuming they are right now.”

“Right… you sure you got enough sleep last night?”

“Yup, I’m fine. Couldn’t be better, really. Now, let’s get going. If we get there before noon, we can enjoy lunch.”

---

Lunch consisted of a variety of wraps filled with different types of meat, and despite their small size, they were some of the most flavorful things that Batoy had ever tried. It took all his restraint to resist chain-grabbing them, devouring them in as little as five bites. So enticing were they that Batoy barely paid attention to the looming mansion beside them. But despite its great size, the Old Chateau seemed in rather good condition, as if it had been maintained instead of falling to the passage of time.

“From what I’ve heard,” Mia said between bites of her own lunch, “the Chateau used to be reserved for use by the royal family. That was back before the Great War and the changes that followed. But when the royal family abandoned it, nobody replaced them. Urban legend says that the spirits of the deceased haunted anyone who tried to move into the Chateau. I wanna check the validity of that.”

“You’re kidding, right?”

“Actually, no,” the girl laughed, pausing to take a bite out of her wrap. “I’ve been to too many ghost sites to underestimate them again. Ghosts are pretty serious business. You screw up around them, it‘ll haunt you for the rest of your life. Literally.”

Batoy swallowed. Had he known that, he would have suggested another location. “So, what all do we have to do here?”

“Boring stuff, really. Just look around, pacify any malevolent spirits, rookie stuff, really. We could probably split up to save a little time.”

“Okay.”

“Anyways, I got a favor to ask. Think I could borrow Max for a little bit?”

Batoy peaked an eyebrow. “Huh? Why?”

Mia shrugged. “No particular reason. He seemed a little shaken, so I thought I’d try to let him get to know me a little.”

“I guess that’s a good idea,” Batoy said slowly, handing Max‘s ball to Mia. “You’ll take care of him, though, right? He‘s not exactly mine.”

Mia glanced at him. “Hey, who do you think I am? I’m not going to steal him from you.” The girl made her way to front door of the chateau. Made of wood and riveted with iron, it seemed very heavy, and Mia grunted as she pushed through it. But she didn’t enter into the building and instead turned back towards Batoy. “I have a feeling we‘re not the only people around here. Someone‘s messed with this door fairly recently.”

“You can tell that just by looking?” Batoy said with a frown. Was this mystery person his contact or…?

“I have my ways.” Mia said with a grin. “But anyways, I’m gonna check out the front foyer. Why don’t you check the back?”

“No problem,” Batoy said. Mia slipped inside, the heavy door groaning as it closed. Sighing, Batoy backed back into the sunlight. A stone pathway worked its way around the building on his right side, passing through an open gate in a wall just a bit too high to see over. Batoy headed that way. At the very least, this way he could pass off that microchip and not have to worry about it.

---

~Chu, Raichu.~ Max shook his head, his eyes quickly adjusting to the dim light. He was in a long rectangular room with an extended dining set spanning almost its entire length. Armored statues lined the perimeter and three antiquated but beautiful crystalline chandeliers hung from the high ceiling, the makings of cobwebs slowly covering them. Max’s nose twitched as he sneezed, the dust in the air thick.

“Gesundheit.”

Max whirled around with a start. The girl Batoy traveled with was there, but Batoy was nowhere to be found. The Raichu’s ears folded down and he backed up a bit, his fur standing on end and his tail raised.

Mia raised her hands. “Now, now, little one, you don’t need to be afraid of me. I asked Batoy if I could get to know you. He’s outside waiting for us,” she said with a coo. Max’s cheeks sparked once before he relaxed. ~Chu?~

“I’m your friend. You can trust me.” Mia knelt and rubbed the Raichu on the head. She then stood. “But… I’m gonna need your help. You think you could help me track down a ghost?” Max nodded slowly. “Alright. Just raise your tail and focus. See if you can detect any electrical anomalies.”

~Raichu…~ Max closed his eyes and followed her directions to the letter. His lightning bolt tail waved metronomic ally. But try as he might, all he detected was the faint hum of the aged lights. ~Chu…~ he mumbled, his ears splayed, but Mia only smiled. “Don’t worry and keep trying.” Max nodded and closed his eyes again. But likewise, he just couldn’t sense anything.

But suddenly, a massive jolt passed through him, and Max’s ears stood on end. The lights flickered rapidly as a surge passed through them. ~R-Raichu!~ Max yelped, and Mia grinned. “Alright, looks like we have our target. C’mon, Max, time to go ghost busting!”

---

“What the heck?”

Batoy’s eyes narrowed. Sitting, grazing vacantly in the lush gardens comprising the backyard of the chateau, was a yellowish creature with deep bags around its eyes and steam wisping slowly from its humped back. Not surprising so much that there was a Numel here, but this particular Numel, Batoy recognized. “Don, is that you?”

The Numel slowly turned its head, and despite its face lacking any visual change, the lazy steam intensified to sound a single toot. Batoy grinned and trudged closer, rubbing the Numel’s head. “What’re you doing out here? Where’s Andy?”

Don turned his head and snorted. Across the stone patio, lying on the rim of a large fountain, was a boy some five years older than he was, his face concealed by a book. A thong sandal rested on one foot, the other tossed on the ground nearby. He was dressed casually, almost tropically, with cargo shorts and a tie-die shirt. And he was very much asleep. Batoy grinned as he crept closer to the boy, propping himself on the fountain, balancing precariously with one hand bracing. He reached down and flicked the boy’s ear.

“What the?!” The boy rocketed up, his book clattering on the ground. He looked around, his fists clenched for his assailant, only to turrn towards Batoy, who’d cracked up with laughter. “Batoy?! What’re you doing here?”

“Hehe, I could ask the same for you, Andrew,” Batoy said, still snickering. An idea passed through his head suddenly. “Hey, flaming monkeys!” he said, his eyes bright.

“What?” Andrew frowned before rubbing Batoy’s head. “You’re a weird kid.”

“Oh, heh, yeah, I guess…” Batoy bit his lip. So this wasn’t his contact after all. Who could Lizbeth have sent? “Oh well. So, what’re you doing here in Sinnoh?”

“Well, I’m on vacation, really. Got tired of cleaning up in Hoenn so I jetted up here.”

“How is it?” Batoy asked, his stomach tightening.

“Still pretty bad, kid. The waters around Pacifidlog Town keep people from salvaging what’s left of it. Lavaridge is better, but the volcano’s all but burnt out. The sandspas are almost dead.”

“But everyone’s alright?”

“Yeah, I guess so. I haven’t really checked up on them since my folks already moved to Johto.”

“Good for them, I guess,” Batoy said softly. His stomach hurt now.

“Oh, speaking of which! Well, not really, but how’s Jet doing?” Andrew asked, squatting on his haunches as he balanced on the rim of the fountain. “It’s been a long time since I saw that little dude.”

“Well, he’s certainly gotten a little feistier, that’s for certain,” Batoy said with a grin as he pulled out Jet’s ball. With a flash of light, the Quilava appeared, stretching his body and murring as the sun’s warm rays stuck his back. “He’s certainly grown.”

“I’ll say! Hey, kit, how’re you doin’?” Jet’s ears perked at the familiar voice, and he chirped with surprise when Andrew scooped him up. Purrs replaced chirps as he gave the older boy a friendly nuzzle then squirmed out of his arms. “You got a lot bigger since I last saw ya. So you’re a Quilava now, huh? Must be really nice.” Andrew tossed a thumb towards the Numel. “Don and I haven’t had too much luck when it comes to evolution, but one day we’ll get there.”

~Lava!~ Jet squeaked as he bounded over towards the Numel. The two made quite the pair, with Don’s lethargy and Jet’s bountiful energy. Batoy smiled. “Jet evolved a while back, shortly after I started working for Lizbeth and Dad. He’s gotten really strong now.”

“Say, how’s that working out? You working for Magma and all?”

“Well, I…” Batoy choked back a whimper. His cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

“Not good, huh?”

“N-no, it’s not that. Things have just been a little… tough, that’s all.”

“Your dad’s been on your case? I hear he’s a real nut buster now.”

“He and Lizbeth, both,” Batoy said, taking a seat on the fountain. “Sometimes I feel like they want me to do two different things and I don’ know what to do. I don’t even know if what I’m doing is right anymore….”

“Well, do you believe you’re helping?”

“What do you mean?”

“The right thing. Do you think that you’re helping whatever it is that you believe in?” Andrew shrugged. “Whatever, it’s not a big deal, really. I just like the pay, honestly. I don’t really buy into any of that land/water stuff they harp on about in training.”

“I… don’t, either.”

Andrew glanced at Batoy. “So why do you care if what you’re doing is right?” He paused a bit. “Actually, forget I said anything. Try not to think about it too much.”

Batoy frowned. “Now who’s the weird one,” he mumbled.

---

~Chu!~

Max folded his ears and crouched, a bolt of blue plasma imbedding itself into the thigh of a suit of armor that stood behind him. He juked to the left, narrowly avoiding a volley that reduced that entire leg to slag. A horrid screech sounded as the armor toppled over and Max flinched as it crashed on the long dining table mere inches from his head.

Hovering, in a voice of static and electric interference, a small orange object engulfed in ectoplasmic energy chuckled jovially, it‘s large blue eyes shimmering at its mischief. Max crawled away from the fallen armor and hopped on the table, glancing around. He’d lost track of Mia about the time he’d run into this creature, and she was nowhere to be found. ~Chu…~ he mumbled as his cheeks sparked in irritation.

~Raichu, chu raichu!~ He hadn’t attacked the floating object yet, but any more displays of aggression would have to be dealt with. The object’s response was obvious; a bolt of lightning planted itself just a centimeter above Max’s head. The Raichu’s brow furrowed. His haunches tensed before he sprang forward, his paw pulled back and crackling with thunder. But his punch sailed through air with nothing to claim but a sudden wet chill.

The object zoomed away, crackling with laughter, and Max’s ears folded as he pursued out of the dining hall. The object turned and Max followed, only to stop in confusion. The kitchen he found himself in gleamed in the dim light, but the object was nowhere to be found. Max trotted cautiously, his paws slapping lightly at the tile floor. He peered into every nook and cranny, dropped to all fours and peered under cabinets and sprung lightly onto the counters. Zero luck.

~Raichu…~ he sighed as he leaned against a refrigerator. His mind spun. How could something like that simply have disappeared? A chill spread through his body as he continued to ponder, cycling over the places he had looked. Perhaps he’d missed somewhere obvious?

A sudden chill passed through the Raichu, different than the cool air following the electric ghost. His body quivered, not so much from the actual cold, but from a sudden welling of anxiety and fear. Max clenched his paws, trying to shake away the sudden doubt that clouded his mind. The dim kitchen darkened slightly, as if noxious clouds began to flow into it. Max’s cheeks glowed and sparked, but the darkness consumed what light he could manage. A faint whimper floated through the air. He barely recognized it as his own.

A new sound overcame his whimper, a cruel and bitter laughter that started softly, but slowly grew louder and louder. Max’s ears folded back, doing everything in his power to keep from squealing in terror. He slowly backed up, then turned. His eyes went wide. Though he had backed towards the doorway which he came, that very exit disappeared, covered by the clouds. Not only that, but everything around him disappeared, leaving him suspended in total darkness. The laughter intensified.

There she was, Bethany, standing before him. Max called out, but the girl turned away and began to walk. She walked slowly, but Max could not follow. She moved further away before fading into nothing.

~C-Chu…~ Max whimpered again, holding his ears down with his paws. That atrocious laughter addled his mind; he couldn’t think or find his senses. His cheeks sparked and lightning raced into the darkness, only to fade away. The laughter grew louder, and Max screamed loudly.

There in front of him were two large evil looking eyes, glowing in a malevolent blue ectoplasm, cloaked in almost tangible violet clouds that almost appeared vulpine in shape. Two massive claws reached for him, but Max could only peer into those hypnotic blue eyes. And he screamed again.

---

“Elyia, be on your guard!” Mia commanded as she moved quickly, sparing each room she passed by a fleeting glance before moving on to the next. Despite all her previous posturing, she’d still be unprepared for Max to dart off as he did, and now the Raichu was nowhere to be found. Nipping at her heels, yet lithely avoiding being trodden upon, Elyia scurried along, matching her trainer step for step. Her eyes shown with an intense violet and she moved forward past Mia and sped down a dining hall marred with scorch marks.

The two followed the path of vandalism, only to stop in front of the very thing they searched for. Thick clouds poured from the kitchen doorway, and a faint cry came from within, matched with faint flashes of light. Mia pointed towards the door. “Alright, Elyia… Miracle Eye. Be on your guard for Hypnosis.” The Natu nodded and peered into the room, her brightly shining eyes burning away the clouds of gas. Everywhere she looked, the clouds receded, until all that was left was a floating Haunter, completely unaware of their arrival, fixated on something too low to be seen.

“No souls for you today, ghost!” Mia shouted, and the Haunter spun around in shock, only to wince in surprise as a pokeball struck it square in the forehead. As it cried a curse of anger, bands of light wrapped around the Haunter, drawing it into the ball which rocked before laying still. Mia approached it cautiously, then looked down, and her face dropped.

Max lay, hunched against a wall, his body quivering with fear. His ears were shut tight. Mia knelt, but did not touch the Raichu. In his condition, the sudden touch could be fatal for her and put him into a state of shock. “Hey, Max…” she offered lightly, her voice barely above a whisper. “Max.” The Raichu’s shivering began to slow. “It’s alright, Max. I’m here. We’re here.” The Raichu peaked open an eye, and then Mia reached out and offered her hand. Max tentatively touched it with his paw before gripping it. ~Chu…~ he whimpered, and Mia scooped the pokemon into her arms.

“It’s okay, Max. You did a fine job.”