Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Team Rocket Strikes Back! An AAML Story ❯ Chapter 8: Johto Adventures ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8: Johto Adventures
 
Ash and company continues to travel up the road towards Blackthorn City. After a peaceful slumber, the crew awakens and continues on towards their final destination. On the road...
 
Ash: (Yawning) Sure is a nice day!
 
Misty: Sure is... I hope we can get there soon!
 
Duplica: Brock, how far do we have to go?
 
Brock: Let's see... (Pulls out his Pokedex and pushes a few buttons)... hmm. According to the Pokedex, we are still twenty miles away... and we have to go through a mountain range along the way...
 
Ash: (Sighs) We better keep moving then...
 
Misty: Yeah... it'll probably take a while to get through the mountains...
 
Brock: Yep. Aren't you glad you're wearing pants instead of shorts, Misty?
 
Misty: (Punching Brock in the arm) Watch it, Brock...
 
Brock: (Rubbing his arm) I was just kidding...
 
Duplica: (Giggling) Come over here, Brock. I'll keep you safe... (Gently grabs Brock's hand and pulls him over to her side of the road)
 
Pikachu, who had previous walking in the back of the group, senses something and quickly runs up to Ash and jumps on his shoulder...
 
Pikachu: (Excited) Pi-Pi-Pi!
 
Ash: What is it, Pikachu? (Pikachu points at a yew tree just ahead on the right side of the road)
 
All four trainers stop in their tracks and observe the tree. A few moments later, it begins to shake...
 
Misty: What is it?
 
Brock: (Scratching his chin) Hmmm... there must be a Pokemon in the bush...
 
Ash: (Getting excited) I'll check it out! Pikachu come with me!
 
Brock: (Grabbing Ash) Wait! Why don't you let Duplica check this out, and if it's a Pokemon, she can try and catch it...
 
Duplica: (Blushing) Thanks, Brock!
 
Ash: Yeah, ok. Go ahead, Duplica, check it out...
 
Duplica grabs one of her Pokeballs and holds it her left hand. She quietly moves closer to the tree, trying to look inside. She notices a pair of eyes as she closes to within five feet of the tree. Taking a deep breath, Duplica moves closer...
 
Misty: (Curious) What do you see, Duplica?
 
Brock: Tell us... what is it?
 
Duplica: (Warily) I don't know... but I see a pair of eyes in the tree!
 
Ash: Be careful, Duplica!
 
Duplica: I will... (Inches closer to the tree)
 
A moment later, an Oddish walks out of the tree...
 
Misty: Cool! An Oddish! You gonna catch it, Duplica?
 
Duplica: I don't know... I already have two Pokemon...
 
Brock: Go on, catch it. Show us your great battling skill...
 
Duplica: (Grabbing one of her Pokeballs) Okay... I'll try and get it. (Tosses the Pokeball) Ditto, go!
 
Ditto appears on the ground in front of Duplica and begins to eye the Oddish, who is getting ready to do something...
 
Duplica: Ditto, transform!
 
As Ditto transforms into an Oddish, the Oddish begins to shake and spores begin head towards Ditto...
 
Duplica: Ditto, quickly, dodge it! (Ditto jumps out of the way of the spore cloud) Tackle attack!
 
Ditto charges and hits the Oddish, knocking it back into the tree. Undaunted, it gets back on its feet and launches a tackle attack of its own, knocking Ditto to the ground...
 
Ash: Wow! That must be one tough Oddish... (Holds out his Pokedex and looks at the screen)... hey, Duplica! That Oddish must be at least at level 16 to have made that stun spore attack...
 
Brock: Be careful, Duplica...
 
Duplica: (Determined) Don't worry, I'll win! Ditto, stun spore attack!
 
Ditto launches a stun spore cloud at the other Oddish... it tries to jump out of the way, but fails, and soon is paralyzed...
 
Duplica: Ditto, use your sleep powder! (Ditto attacks and puts the Oddish to sleep) All right! (Grabs a Pokeball) Pokeball, go!
 
The Pokeball lands on the Oddish and pulls it inside... after shaking a few times, it stops moving...
 
Brock: Great job, Duplica!
 
Duplica: (Happy) Thanks, Brock! (Picks up the pokeball and puts in on her belt) Now I have three Pokemon...
 
Misty: That Oddish looked pretty tough, Duplica. I hope you have no problems when you start training it...
 
Ash: We'll all be here to help you if you need any help with training it...
 
Duplica: Thanks! (Pauses) Let's keep going! We got a long way to go, right?
 
Misty: (Sighs) You can say that again...
 
Ash, Misty, Brock, and Duplica press forward on the road towards Blackthorn City. Meanwhile, in an underwater base near Olivine City, Domino calls everyone to order in the main control center...
 
Domino: (Loudly) Listen up, everyone! Our operations leaders have arrived early then I expected... (Pauses)... so everyone to their stations. Hop to it!
 
Personnel inside of the control center scramble to their positions. In one corner of the center, Jessie, James, and Meowth talk among themselves...
 
Meowth: Hmmm... I wonder who could be coming to take charge here?
 
James: I don't know... but we don't know very many other Team Rocket members, so it could be anyone...
 
Jessie: (Sighs) I hope were sent out on an assignment soon... I don't like working here. Maybe we could ask these operations leaders for a different assignment...
 
James: Yeah...
 
Meowth: I could use some fresh air... we haven't been outside since we got in that submarine...
 
Before Jessie or James can reply, Domino suddenly yells out...
 
Domino: Okay, everyone. The heads of our new project have just docked and are on their way down...
 
Meowth: I guess we'll find out in a second who's gonna be running the show here...
 
Jessie: Un-huh.
 
The main doors to the control room open and two Team Rocket agents walk in... Jessie, James, and Meowth turn their heads to look at the operations leaders...
 
Jessie: (To herself) No... it can't be...
 
James: (Softly) Those two?
 
Domino: (Loudly) Attention! Our project leaders Butch and Cassidy have arrived!
 
Meowth has a sinking feeling in his stomach as he recalls the prior meetings with Butch and Cassidy...
 
Butch: Yes, we are finally here. It looks like everything is proceeding as scheduled...
 
Cassidy: The boss will be pleased... (Notices Jesse, James, and Meowth in the corner)... hey Butch, come with me...
 
Butch: Okay...
 
Butch and Cassidy walk up to the corner of the command center and begin to talk to Jesse, James, and Meowth...
 
Cassidy: I'm surprised that you guys are here... I thought the boss would have you guys out doing more bombings...
 
James: He wanted us to stay low for a while... and maybe help out here...
 
Meowth: We can't exactly go walking around... they have posters of us everywhere...
 
Butch: I suppose... (Pauses)... at least you guys have done something right for once...
 
Jessie: (Loudly) That's right!
 
Cassidy: That's why the boss wants you three to work with us... I didn't want to at first. Once he told me that you three were behind those bombings, I had a little more respect for you guys...
 
James: What have you two been doing... while we were out there destroying towns?
 
Butch: Cassidy and I were working in the boss's secret breeding center, helping to raise some very powerful Pokemon...
 
Cassidy: That's not an easy job...
 
Meowth: (Sarcastically) It's probably easier then risking your hide like we did...
 
Butch: (Getting defensive) Everyone has their assignment from the boss... some are easier, some are more difficult...
 
Cassidy: Maybe he gave you that bombing assignment to prove yourselves... he almost dropped you from Team Rocket several times... you three don't know how lucky you are!
 
Jessie, James, and Meowth all sigh...
 
Butch: We have to contact the boss now... we'll see you three later! (Butch and Cassidy leave the control room)
 
James: (Scratching his head) Well... that went better than I expected...
 
Jessie: I was expecting them get in our face and give us a hard time...
 
Meowth: Yeah, me too. (Pauses) Well... we better get back to work...
 
James: (Sighing) I guess...
 
Jessie, James, and Meowth return to work in the control center...
 
Elsewhere in the Johto region, Ash, Misty, Brock, and Duplica continue pressing towards Blackthorn City...
 
Duplica has her Oddish in her arms; she is talking to it as they continue down the road...
 
Brock: (Putting an arm around Duplica) Good job... you got your first Pokemon catch in the field...
 
Duplica: (Smiling) Thanks, Brock... (Looks at Oddish)... I hope I can train this Oddish like I trained my Ditto's...
 
Misty: You'll be fine... you just have to learn Oddish's attacks and train it...
 
A moment later, a cold front begins to pass through and clouds begin to fill the sky...
 
Ash: (Shivers) Brr... it's getting cold...
 
Brock: Yeah, it is... we've been climbing in elevation the past hour and I think we're in the mountain pass... (Pulls out his Pokedex and looks at the map screen)
 
Misty: Where are we?
 
Brock: It's ten miles more to Blackthorn City... and we haven't even started to hit the main part of the pass...
 
Duplica: Did you guys want to find a place to stop and set up camp?
 
Ash: If we can find one, it's sorta barren over here... and it looks like it could rain any second...
 
Misty: (Looking at the sky, with its ominous black billowy clouds) Yeah... let's keep going...
 
Pikachu: (Pointing ahead) Pika-pi!
 
Ash: What is it, Pikachu? (Looks ahead) Oh, yeah, I see it! Looks like a small grove of trees...
 
Misty: Let's go!
 
The group travels a short way further on the road, and comes upon a grove of evergreen trees. Ash and Misty begin to set up two tents while Brock and Duplica scour the area for firewood. About twenty minutes later, the tents are set up and a campfire is roaring. Brock and Duplica begin to make a huge pot of beef stew over the fire...
 
Duplica: So, Ash, tell me about your first Pokemon catch in the field...
 
Ash: (Tries to dig up the memory in his head) Um... wow. That was over three and a half years ago... just after I met Misty for the first time...
 
Misty: (Leaning on Ash) Wasn't that a Caterpie that you caught?
 
Ash: Oh, yeah, it was... I caught it after we ran into Team Rocket for the first time... it evolved rather quickly...
 
Duplica: (Interested) Really?
 
Ash: Yeah... it evolved into a Metapod very soon after I caught it, and then later became a Butterfree... (Has a sad expression on his face after recalling those events in his head)
 
Duplica: (Noticing the look on Ash's face) Ash, what's wrong?
 
Ash: (Softly) Nothing... it's just... I had to let Butterfree go not too long after it evolved... I still miss it...
 
Misty: (Putting her arm around Ash) I know you do, Ash... letting Butterfree go was one of the first mature and really responsible things I seen you do as a trainer. I always had a little more respect for you after that day...
 
Brock: Yeah... Ash began to understand that raising Pokemon isn't always easy...
 
Duplica: Yeah... (Tasting the stew)... stew's done! Who's hungry?
 
Ash: (Loudly) Me! Me!
 
Brock and Duplica pass out bowls and serve the stew, bringing compliments from Ash and Misty on how good it tastes. After dinner, all four of them sit around the campfire and tell stories... time passes and soon it is night. Ash puts out the campfire and Misty helps to clean up the outside of the camp...
 
Brock: (Yawning) Good night!
 
A cold wind blows through the camp...
 
Duplica: Brock, come on! Get in the tent! It's cold!
 
Misty & Ash: Good night!
 
Duplica: Good night!
 
Brock heads into one tent and gets into his sleeping bag. Duplica has set up her sleeping bag next to his...
 
Brock: I hope it doesn't rain...
 
Duplica: Yeah... (Pauses)... otherwise, we could be stuck here until it stops. I don't want to walk in freezing rain...
 
Brock: Neither do I. (Softly) Duplica, you were great today... you caught that Oddish and showed how great of a trainer you are...
 
Duplica: (Blushing) Brock... thank you... (Moves her head towards Brock)
 
Brock: (Blushing) Duplica...
 
The next words out of Brock's mouth are cut off as Duplica and Brock share a warm kiss... Brock can feel his heart rapidly beating in his chest. Duplica feels like she is going to melt... she feels so warm inside...
 
After the kiss is over, Brock and Duplica lovingly stare at each other...
 
Duplica: (Very softly) Wow...
 
Brock: (Softly) What a kiss...
 
Duplica and Brock smile at each other, and then go to sleep... thinking about the new step their relationship has taken. Over in Ash and Misty's tent, they are also having a conversation before bed...
 
Misty: Well, it looks like Pikachu is out for the night... (Points to a mini sleeping bag in the corner of the tent)
 
Ash: (Stretching) Yeah... I'm feeling tired myself. We did a lot of walking today...
 
Misty: Yeah, we did. My legs feel a little bit tired...
 
Ash: Misty, come here... (Holds out his arms)
 
Misty: (Blushing as she scoots over next to Ash) Yes, Ash...
 
Ash: (Giving Misty a warm hug) Good night, Misty...
 
Misty: (Pulling Ash into a very close hug) Good night, Ash... (Ash blushes as Misty places a kiss on his cheek)
 
Misty goes back over to her sleeping bag and falls asleep... Ash soon falls asleep as well...
 
The night passes with out incident, but just before sunrise, it begins to rain heavily...
 
Misty: (Waking up and stretching) It's raining? (Shakes Ash) Wake up!
 
Ash: (Slowly opening his eyes) Huh? (Looks at the tent, and notices that it is slowly moving) Misty, I think the tent is being washed away!
 
Over in the other tent, Brock and Duplica have also awaken and noticed the same thing happening to their tent...
 
Brock: (Yelling) Hey, Ash! I think we're being washed away here!
 
Ash: (Loudly) Yeah, I know. I'm gonna try and stop it... (Grabs a Pokeball from his backpack) Be right back, Misty! (She nods)
 
Ash opens the tent and quickly re-zips it closed. The cold, driving rain quickly soaks him as he decides what to do...
 
Ash: (To himself) How am I gonna stop the rain from washing away our camp? (Thinks for a moment, then throws out the Pokeball) Bayleef, I choose you!
 
Bayleef pops out of the Pokeball and begins to shudder at the sting of the rain hitting its skin...
 
Ash: Bayleef, Razor Leaf those four trees over there! We're gonna make a wall to make the water go away from the camp...
 
Bayleef: BAY! (Uses its razor leaf attack to cut down four small evergreen trees, which fall to the ground)
 
Ash: Good job! Use your vine whip to pull the trunks over here, and we'll make a "V" to divert that water!
 
Ash and Bayleef work together and drag the trunks into position. After the trunks are set up, both start to gather stones and place them in front of the logs...
 
Brock: (Looking out of the tent) Good idea, Ash! Let me help out now! (Tosses a pokeball, and Graveler pops out) Graveler, dig a ditch in front of those logs to channel away that water!
 
Graveler gets right to work digging out a trench... Ash and Bayleef finish shoring up the logs a short while later...
 
Ash looks down and sees the rainwater coursing into the trenches...
 
Ash: Looks good, Brock! I think we're done!
 
Brock: Graveler, return! (Calls Graveler back in its pokeball) You did a good job... (Yells out to Ash) Ash, you better get back inside, or you'll freeze to death!
 
Ash: (Shivers) Yeah, I'm totally soaked. Good job, Bayleef! Let's get you out of this rain...
 
Bayleef: (Happily) BAY-BAY!
 
Ash returns Bayleef to his Pokeball and runs back into the tent...
 
Misty: (Concerned) Ash, you look like you're freezing!
 
Ash: (Teeth chattering) Umm... yeah... I'm c-c-cold...
 
Pikachu: (Concerned) Pika!
 
Misty: Ash, you should change out of those wet clothes immediately! I don't want you to get pneumonia or something!
 
Duplica: (Yelling from the other tent) Brock and I were going to feed the Pokemon, why don't you send them over for some breakfast?
 
Ash: Okay, that sounds good. Pikachu, Misty and I were gonna eat some breakfast. Can you take Togepi over there, along with our Pokeballs?
 
Pikachu: PIKA-Pi!
 
Misty: (Yelling) Duplica, the Pokemon are on their way over!
 
Duplica: (Yelling back) Sounds good!
 
Misty puts all of her Pokeballs in a bag, along with Ash's. Togepi wakes up and then both Pikachu and Togepi head over to the other tent...
 
Ash: (Slightly blushing) Um... Misty... could you turn around? I'm gonna change out of these wet clothes...
 
Misty: Of course, Ash.
 
Misty turns around and waits patiently as Ash changes. As he changes, she can't help blushing a little...
 
Ash: I'm done, Misty. You can look now...
 
Misty turns around and sees Ash sitting on top of his sleeping bag...
 
Misty: Why don't you warm up in the sleeping bag? I'll get us some breakfast and then we'll talk about what we're going to do next...
 
Ash: Okay... (Crawls into his sleeping bag) Thanks, Mist...
 
Misty: (Grabbing some cereal bars out of her backpack) No problem, Ash. You went out there in the rain to help us all out, so it's the least I can do... (Hands Ash a cereal bar) What did you want to do today? I don't want to continue on if it's raining like this... we're still pretty far from Blackthorn City...
 
Ash: Yeah, we're still a good day's walk away. I had an idea... maybe you can do a little training with Togepi? I remember that you we're trying to teach it a headbutt attack. Pikachu could help out...
 
Misty: (Happily) Yeah, that's a great idea! It would give me something to do, and I can spend some time training Togepi!
 
Ash and Misty continue to talk as they eat breakfast. Later that morning, Brock and Duplica stop by and help Misty train Togepi. With some help from Pikachu and Ditto, Togepi finally learns the move...
 
The day continues on, and the rain slows down enough for Brock to make a small campfire and make dinner. The group talks about what to do next...
 
Duplica: It looks like the rain has slowed down, but it could pick up again. (Sighs) What did you guys want to do tomorrow?
 
Ash: I think we should wait until it stops raining- we have a day's trip ahead of us, and I don't wanna be walking in the rain...
 
Brock: I'm with Ash here... if it stops raining, we'll go. Otherwise, I think we should wait out the storm...
 
Misty: I don't feel like getting soaked. It's pretty cold out there, anyway. (Leans on Ash)
 
Duplica: We're not in a rush, right?
 
Ash: I don't want to run down to Blackthorn in the rain and then be sick... we'll stay here...
 
A few moments later, the skies suddenly darken and the rain picks up once again...
 
Misty: (Covering her head) I guess we're stuck here now...
 
Ash and Misty run back to their tent, Brock and Duplica do the same as the rain starts come down with its ice cold fury. The day soon becomes night, and the respective couples spend the rest of the evening talking to each other. Duplica and Brock in particular, get to know each other better. Brock talks about his travels with Ash and Misty, and Duplica talks about training her Ditto's and running the Imite House. After a long kiss goodnight, Brock and Duplica fall asleep. Ash and Misty are still up, playing cards...
 
Ash: (Throwing his cards to the ground) Darn! You win again!
 
Misty: (Getting the cards and shuffling them) I used to play against my sisters all of the time... that's why I'm good. Did you want to play again?
 
Ash: Nah. I'm getting tired...
 
Misty: (Taking a glance at the sleeping Togepi, who is sleeping in a part of her backpack nearby) Togepi must be tired from all of the training we did today... (Stretches)... I'm gonna go to bed...
 
Ash: Me too... (Gently pulls Misty into a hug and holds her) (Softly) Good night, Misty...
 
Misty: (Softly) Good night, Ash. (Kisses him on the cheek, causing him to blush) I hope it stops raining tomorrow, so we can get you to Blackthorn City to get your badge...
 
Ash: Yeah... (Gently lets go of Misty and wriggles into his sleeping bag) See yah tomorrow...
 
Misty climbs into her sleeping bag and then falls asleep. As he relaxes and falls asleep, Ash watches the sleeping Misty. He thinks to himself... `I'm sorta glad we got stuck here in this storm. Spending time with Misty has made realize how much I love her...'
 
A new day soon dawns, and unfortunately for Ash and company, the rain is still is coming down. After breakfast, the rain starts to slow down and there is a debate about what to do next...
 
Ash: The rain has really slowed down... did you guys want to pack up and get moving?
 
Misty: Maybe we should, otherwise, who knows how long we could be stuck here...
 
Duplica: Sounds good to me! Let's go!
 
Brock and Duplica dismantle the tents while Ash and Misty gather their sleeping bags and other items together. A little while later, the group is on their way to Blackthorn City. Walking at a brisk pace, they are soon at the top of a mountain pass. They take a short break and gaze at the scenery around them. Looking down the road in front of them, Blackthorn City is plainly visible...
 
Ash: (Excited) I can see the city! You guys ready to go?
 
Misty: Yeah... but hold on a second. I want to take some pictures... (Starts snapping pictures of the surrounding scenery)
 
Brock: Duplica, why don't you take your Oddish out for a little fresh air?
 
Duplica: Good idea Brock... (Grabs her Pokeball with Oddish in it and releases it)
 
Oddish comes out of the Pokeball and immediately begins talking with Pikachu...
 
Duplica: (Looking down at Oddish) Seems like I got a pretty friendly Oddish here...
 
Ash: Looks like it... Pikachu here makes friends pretty easy...
 
Pikachu: Pika-pi!
 
Misty: (Putting her camera into her backpack) Okay guys, I'm done. (Looks up at the sky and notices that the sun is coming out) Let's get moving while the weather is good!
 
Ash: Sounds good! (Starts running down the road towards Blackthorn City)
 
Misty: Same old Ash... (Sighs) Come on guys, we gotta catch up to him...
 
Misty, Brock, Pikachu, and Duplica start high-tailing it down the road after Ash. Before Duplica can go very far, Oddish starts hopping excitedly next to her...
 
Duplica: What is it? Do you want me to carry you?
 
Oddish nods excitedly. Duplica stoops down, scoops up Oddish, and begins to run again... it soon falls asleep in her arms...
 
After another two and half hours of travel down the road, they arrive at the outskirts of Blackthorn City. They take a break to catch their breaths when Officer Jenny approaches them...
 
Officer Jenny: Hi there! Are you guys Pokemon trainers?
 
Ash: You bet we are! I'm here to get my 8th Johto League badge... (Opens his coat and shows Officer Jenny his other seven badges)
 
Officer Jenny: That's pretty impressive. (Looks at Misty) Wait a second... I recognize you two. Were you two in the Whirl Cup? I could have sworn that I've seen you on the TV...
 
Misty: Yep, that's us! My name is Misty and I'm a water Pokemon trainer. These are my friends Brock and Duplica...
 
Brock: Nice to meet you...
 
Duplica watches Brock carefully as he introduces himself to Officer Jenny. He controls himself by constantly thinking to himself- `I have Duplica now... she is cute and l... love her. Can't go back to my old ways...'
 
Duplica: I'm Duplica and I'm a Ditto trainer. I ran the Imite House until... (Pauses as memories of her former house flood through her mind)... Team Rocket destroyed it...
 
Officer Jenny: (Somber) I'm sorry to hear that. This world has been getting so nuts lately... we've stepped up our security here, especially around the gym. There have been rumors that Team Rocket is massing forces somewhere in the Johto area, but so far, we haven't found anything...
 
Brock: They've been quiet recently... we haven't heard or seen anything about Team Rocket since we were in New Bark Town...
 
Officer Jenny: You four just came from there? Did you get caught in that horrible rainstorm?
 
Ash: Yeah... we had to camp near the mountain pass in a stand of evergreens...
 
Officer Jenny: Oh, I know where that is... but that spot is sloped down hill. Did your tents slide around in the rain?
 
Misty: Actually, Ash and his Bayleef made a channel to divert the water away...
 
Officer Jenny: Hmm... (Scratches her chin) That was pretty smart. The city council was planning to make that spot an official campsite for trainers, and that was one problem with the site. I guess you fixed that problem... (Smiles)
 
Ash: Uh, no problem...
 
Officer Jenny: You said you were going to the gym, right? (Ash excitedly nods) Follow me, I'll take you there myself...
 
Ash: Thanks! (Gently grabs Misty's hand)
 
Officer Jenny leads the group through the town and towards the gym. Both Duplica and Misty notice several restaurants and shops that merit a look after Ash's big gym battle. After a short walk, they arrive at the gym...
 
Officer Jenny: I have to get back to work, it was nice meeting you all...
 
Ash & Misty: Bye!
 
Brock & Duplica: See yah!
 
Misty: Well, Ash, we're finally here. Are you ready?
 
Ash: Of course, Misty. I'm always ready for a Pokemon battle! (Makes a peace sign)
 
Ash opens the massive door to the gym and walks inside. The others follow right behind him. A few seconds later, Ash hears a voice in the next room...
 
Claire: Kingdra, whirlpool!
 
Ash: There must be another battle going on now. Let's go watch!
 
Ash and company walk into the next room and are surprise to see a huge pool of water in the middle of the room. Claire is battling another trainer, who is using a Mantine...
 
Erich: Mantine, Bubblebeam attack!
 
The Mantine whips around in the water and launches a bubble attack on Claire's Kingdra. Kingdra dodges most of the bubbles, but a few hit...
 
Claire: Kingdra, use Agility! Then use Twister!
 
Erich: Mantine, get out of the way and use Confuse Ray!
 
Mantine starts to swim away and powers up a Confuse Ray attack. Before it can shoot it at Kingdra, however, a Twister hits it and carries it up into the air...
 
Erich: NO!
 
Claire: Kingdra, Hydro Pump!
 
A powerful jet of water nails Mantine, knocking it out of the air and into the pool. After a few seconds, Mantine floats to the top of the pool, totally knocked out from Kingdra's last attack...
 
Referee: Mantine is unable to battle. Kingdra wins the battle...
 
Claire: You did a good job... beating 2 out of 3 of my Pokemon, and nearly beating my Kingdra. (Shakes the Erich's hand) Come back anytime...
 
Erich: Thanks... (Recalls Mantine and walks past Ash, Misty, Brock, and Duplica and heads out of the gym)
 
Ash: (Walking forward) Um... excuse me, are you the gym leader here?
 
Claire: That's right. (Smiles) I'm Claire... (Shakes Ash's hand)
 
Ash: I'm Ash Ketchum from Pallet Town and I'm here to challenge you for the Rising Badge. (Opens his jacket and shows the other seven badges to Claire) I got the other seven, and I just need to win here to get my last badge.
 
Claire: You must be very good to have gotten the other seven badges... (Pauses) You said you were from Pallet Town? Wasn't that one of the towns that was bombed?
 
Ash: (Distressed) Yeah... all of us here had our towns bombed or our homes destroyed...
 
Claire: (Sighs) I heard about what happened... what is the world coming to? (Long pause) Well, if you want, I can battle you now. It'll be a three-Pokemon battle...
 
Ash: I'm ready!
 
Claire: All right... I choose Dratini! (She throws a Pokeball and a Dratini comes out)
 
Ash: (To himself) Hmmm... haven't seen one of those in three years... what kind of attacks did it have? I should choose my ace in the hole... (Out loud) I choose you, Muk! (Throws a Pokeball and Muk comes out)
 
The announcer does the formal introductions, puts on the pool cover, and then the battle begins...
 
The battle with Claire happens in Chapter 9: 8th Badge Battle. That'll be posted as soon as I “fix” the battle, Ash used one more Pokemon by accident in the original battle… chapter to be posted soon.