Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Thalassa's Story ❯ Running Away ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
I do not own Pokemon nor am I making any money off this. I'm writing this for my enjoyment and amusement. However, the character of Thalassa aka Tig is mine and mine alone. This story does not revolve around Ash, but he will be mentioned at times. Yes, there are things I'm changing and since I've only seen random episodes since the Johto season, I do not know every canon detail.

Onto the story. I hope that you enjoy it as well.

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------

Opening her eyes, Thalassa Ketchum slowly sat up, listening to the noise of a house in slumber. Silently, she rises and heads towards the window of her second story bedroom. She pauses to listen again before easing it up, having checked the hinges earlier in that day to make sure they don't squeak. Her gaze is slowly swung back towards the room and the door that leads to the hall beyond. A sad smile graces her face before she crawls out of the window to the sloping ledge. "Goodbye Mom. Ash." It a bare whisper as she pushes the window down and slides to the edge and jumps down, landing with ease on the ground below. She didn't want to do this but feels as if she has no other choice as the memory of the fight she and her mother had earlier comes back to haunt her. Swallowing hard, she turns her back to the modest house and pulls the bag she stashed in the bushes earlier free. Sliding it over a shoulder, she takes off for Professor Oak's as the sun starts to creep over the horizon, washing everything in golds, reds and purples.

"Professor?"

A soft voice interrupts the man leading over several pokeballs and he quickly turns to see who is it and a look of surprise flickers across his features. His eyes turns towards the clock on the wall and frowning, he turns back towards her. "Thalassa? What are you doing here so early? It's not even six-thirty yet!" His reproach is gentle but doesn't faze the young girl before him.

"I couldn't wait. Are there any pokemon available to be selected as a starter?"

Her hopeful expression tugs at his heart for he knows that for the last two years she has been forced to stay and watch as the newly liscensed trainers leave on their journies while she stays behind. "Well....the three usual starters have already been taken this year." Professor Oak places his hand on her shoulder as her hopeful expression crumbles. "However, I do have a pokemon that might work for you. I'll warn you know, it's been mistreated badly and probably won't want to obey you."

"Professor? Is that a good idea? I'm only starting out...."

"Yes, yes, that's true but you are also two years older then the rest and you're constantly studying about pokemon and you've been helping here at my lab for the past few years. You, Thalassa, know a great deal about pokemon and I believe that you'll treat this pokemon very well. You are also my last hope. Every senior trainer who has taken this one has always returned it within a week."

"If you're sure, Professor......" Her tone doubtful as she looks up at him, her red/green eyes curious as they come to a halt in front of a row of pokeballs. "I'm nothing special."

"Ah here we go." Ignoring her words, he selects a pokeball and holds it out, a red light forming out to form a pikachu, with a torn ear and tail, who immediately looks around and at them both before it turns and curls up, going to sleep. "Eheheheh......" A sweatdrop forms on his head. "I forgot to tell you that this pikachu loves to sleep..."

Without paying much attention to him, she steps towards the sleeping creature then carefully lowers herself to her knees, reaching out slowly. "Hey there, Pikachu. My name is Thalassa. I hope we can be friends." She watches intently as the yellow ears twitch and the pikachu lifts its head to gaze at her before letting out a low growl. "I won't hurt you."

Before she can touch it, the pikachu is bolting away to leap up and land on top of a computer, sparks shooting from its' cheeks. A warning growl issues from the small creature as it stares back at Oak and Thalassa without flinching. After a long moment, it seems to decide that they aren't dangerous and sits down, continuing to stare unblinkingly at them both.

"Do I need to keep Pikachu in a pokeball, Professor? I think I'll gain her trust faster if she wasn't stuck inside." She stares right back at the pikachu, as she addresses the professor. She keeps her voice low so she doesn't spook her again.

"Hmmm. I don't think so. I'll give you it's just in case." He goes to gather up the items she'll need and comes back, handing them over. "Your pokedex is all programmed with the information you will need and here are your pokeballs."
Tucking the balls into her bag, she places the pokedex in a pocket before smiling up at the professor. "Thank you, Professor Oak. I'll be going now. C'mon, Pikachu." She turns towards the pokemon who grungely follows her out of the lab. Staring up at the sky, she takes a deep breathe then looks down at the pokemon at her side. "Time to go." Turning, she heads towards the forest that divides Pallet Town from Viridian City. Refusing to look back as she enters the forest, the memory of fighting with her mother coming back again.

-Flashback-

"Mom, please. I'm twelve. I want to go. You begged for me to stay twice but I'm tired of never being able to leave Pallet Town without you getting upset. Why can't I go and try to become a trainer?"

"I just don't want you to, I'm your mother and that should be enough of an answer for you, Thalassa!"

"Well it's not! I've been patient. I've stayed when you asked me but everytime I bring up about getting a pokemon just to have around the house, you flip out. And don't you bring up Dad again! That man is NOT my father. I don't care if I have half of his DNA, that doesn't make him a father. He left us and......I get it now. You're afraid that I won't come back like him. That I'm going to walk out that door and you won't ever see me again. I'm not him! I'm me and if you would just stop clinging to that idea of me vanishing, you'd see that."

"Don't you dare question me! I'm your mother and what I say goes. Your father will be back. He'll come home one day. We just have to be patient. You are not going anywhere either. My answer is final."

".....He isn't going to ever come back. Ever. He left us and you're just in denial. I remember very clearly when he walked out of our lives, never looking back. He doesn't even know about Ash, Mom! He took off before you could tell him you were pregnant. It's been three years. If he had stayed you would have allowed me to go, wouldn't you? I don't claim that Giovanni is my father. No matter how many times you tell me otherwise. Yea, he got you pregnant but he was a poor father. So what if I share his genes."

"Go to your room."

"Mom, I'm begging you, please let me go. You can't keep me locked up forever. And what about Ash?! What happens when he decides to go on a journey when he turns ten? Are you going to do the same thing with him? Smother him until all he wants to do is run away? If you don't change something, you're going to end up having a boatload of guilt weighing you down when you realize that both of your children resent you from you refusing to let us grow up. You can't keep us wrapped up in wool for the rest of our's -and your's- lives. Please."

"GO TO YOUR ROOM!"

".....One day soon you're going to look up and find yourself alone, Mom. And you'll only have yourself to blame."

-End Flashback-

Damn him.

Closing her eyes, she banishes the hurtful memory and reopens them as a weight lands on her shoulder. Turning her head, she looks at the pikachu who gazes back intently. Giving it a small smile, she starts to move again, heading further and further from her hometown and the irony of the fact she's doing the same exact thing as her father doesn't escape her notice.

"So what should I call you? Hmmm....are you a guy or girl pikachu? I wonder. Well? What do you say? Male or female?"

"Chu."

"Sorry, I don't speak Pikachu yet. Can you nod or something?"

"Pi!" A violent nod is her answer.

"That helps. So male?"

"..Chuuuuuuuuu." Shaking of head followed by a glare that alone speaks volumes.

"I take that's as a no. Umm...let's see....what about Pika? I know it sounds silly but nothing else comes to mind. Sparky and Flash just don't seem to fit you and I think Pika is a nice nickname."

"Pi." Flicks her in the ear with her tail as she balances on her shoulder with ease.

"Hey! There was no need to do that, Pika."

"Pi.Ka.Chu."

She stops walking and scoops Pika off her shoulder, holding her at arms' length. "Something tells me that was an insult. It was, wasn't it? Look, I know that you probably don't want to be here with me but for now we're stuck together. Give me some time to gain your trust, okay? If you still want to go and be free then I won't stop you. All I'm asking is for some time first. That isn't to much to ask, is it?"

"Pikachu."

"....I'm guessing that you just agreed? At least I hope you are."

"Chu."

"Uh huh...alright alright." Letting her settle back on her shoulder, Thalassa starts off once more, shaking her head at getting a temperamental pokemon as her first. She starts to review that gyms and skips right over the one that her father controls. Her gaze settles on the path leading into the unknown and a smile spreads across her face. "The future is waiting, Pika, and I have a feeling that it's going to be great. Let's go!" With those words, she starts to run, eyes alight with laughter as she heads towards her future.