Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ The Meowth Chronicles: Part One: Kanto ❯ Ash's first pokemon ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Right time, wrong pokemon: What if in an alternate universe, Meowth ran away from Giovanni after being replaced, only to be captured by Professor Oak and then given to Ash as his first pokemon?
Meowth growled unhappily as he padded into his masters room. The smell of the other cat was overpowering, and he hissed as he saw a Persian sitting in his normal spot.
"Confused are you?" his master asked, and Meowth looked up happily, hoping that his trainer would pick him up, and had even begun to walk towards him only to be bashed away by one swipe of the Persian's paw, "You are weak Meowth, weak and pitiful, while I am strong, and to stay strong I need strong pokemon, and that is why I am allowing this. Finish him." he said to the Persian, and then he was gone.
Meowth whined for his master even as the first strike hit, he tried to plead for help, for anything, but all he heard was the cruel laughter of the Persian and he knew that he would be killed if he didn't leave. He picked himself up and as the next strike came, he ducked under it, using his body's weight to ram the vent opening open, and ran down. He kept running even as the vent got narrower. Soon he found himself outside, there was a forest near where he had come out and he headed right for it. He never looked back until he had reached a stream. Slowly he started to lick the blood off of his fur as he vowed that he would never be caught again...
Oak was having a peaceful picnic when a flash of white burst out from the bush and picked up his basket with it's teeth and started for the bush. "Oh no you don't! Go Pidgey, gust attack!"
Meowth cried in pain as the gust attack pushed him into a tree, he lay on the ground panting for breath, blacking out as he heard footsteps come close...
Ash stared at the screen in fascination as it showed another battle taking place, "Ash you'd better get to bed if you want to be up early enough to get to Oak's before all the good pokemon are gone!" his mom called from down the stairs. Ash considered staying up, after all, the battle was one he didn't want to miss, but as he glanced at the clock, he knew his mom was right, so he went to bed. The next morning, he was ready to go, and was on his way to Professor Oak's place.
"Aww look, it's the little baby!"
Ash sighed as he approached Oak's yard, he knew it to be Gary whom had spoken before he even looked up, "Gary."
"Ash."
Ash could never understand what had turned Gary from the shy, best friend he had ever known into this spoilled brat of a trainer who never missed an oportunity to brag about what pokemon he would catch, or to belittle Ash.
"I don't know why you're bothering Ash, no matter what pokemon you pick, you'll never be as good as me!" Gary's cheerleaders laughed as Gary took off in his red convertable, and Ash headed into Oak's lab.
"Oh Ash, you're here. I was starting to worry that you would be late. So what pokemon will you be choosing?"
Ash thought for a moment, looking at the three pokeballs in front of him, but just as he was going to pick one up, a pokeball fell from it's place on the shelf, rolling to a stop at Ash's feet. As he picked it up, it opened up to reveal a very mad Meowth. It hissed and scratched Ash's face. But instead of letting it go, Ash started to rub it's fur, and murmuring quietly as he hugged the small pokemon close. Meowth struggled, but the more he struggled, the more Ash petted and calmed him. Eventually, he stopped fighting, purring happily as Ash rubbed behind his ears.
"That was incredible Ash! That Meowth has been savage ever since I caught it, you're the first person it's ever responded to."
"Does he belong to anyone Professor?"
"I sent out flyers, and checked his I.D. but it looks like whomever his trainer was just decided to release him into the wild."
"Is there any rule saying that I have to take one of the regular starters?"
"No, why?"
"Then I chose this Meowth for a starter." Professor Oak started to argue, "Professor, can't you see? He's been abused, starved and then abandoned. He needs a trainer who understands him. That trainer is me."
Professor oak shook his head, "All right Ash, let's get your pokedex and get this little guy registered. Then he'll be all yours."
End