Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Wandering ❯ Chapter 15

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I will close this within a few chapters.
Disclaimer: Pokemon belongs to Nintendo and Shogakukan Comics. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfic belongs to me under international copyright laws.
Notes: I use <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics if a pokemon talks
Chapter 15
 
“I… what am I going to do?”
Ash sat by the pond, two days later.
Lance's eyes were closed as he sat on the edge of a flat rock; letting his legs dangle over the sides.
Sight… what would he do without it? Aya had been there to guide him after they had escaped death, but…
She was dead too.
Dead by her own student's hand! Now that was a nasty situation. What to do? He knew he should feel bad, but…
Well, Aya had been longing for death since Koga had died. He had a sneaking suspicion why, but no matter…
It was awfully tempting, one fall, and he could join the Seven…but no, he still didn't trust Misty, and hadn't they vowed to take care of Ash?
So… there was nothing to do but live.
It was like a trap in some ways. He could literally feel the deadfall hanging over his head, the teeth of the steel blades in his body, but…
There was no proof. Yet.
Why wouldn't Ash believe him?
No matter what, he was sure Misty had a hand in this.
Maybe it was time to declare the lines of loyalty, once and for all.
 
Misty found him crying. It wasn't… false, or anything, but she still scoffed. “Crying like a girl, Ash?”
“I killed her! She gave her life for me and I killed her! I really am an ungrateful little brat!”
“Yes you are.” Misty said. “Especially towards me!”
“I'm sorry…”
“So, will you marry me?”
And yes, guilt… guilt and shame could be powerful motivators once one pulled the correct threads, so…
Looped.
 
“It's raining today.” Lance said dreamily.
Ash nodded.
Misty… she would be his refuge. She would be his goal. He would protect her and love her and forget the rest of them.
It was selfish, but it was the only way of dealing with things.
“Rain is pretty, isn't it?”
“I remember how we used to run in the rain, and Agatha called it special training…”
“Yes…”
Lance lapsed into silence as Ash fidgeted. “I…I'm going to marry Misty.”
“You are now?”
“I love her.”
“She is your light then, in our dark world, is she not?”
Ash blushed. “Hai.”
“You need light then, not darkness… forget us all…” Lance said, as he stood up.
Ash stared as Lance walked outside. He didn't bump into anything, so maybe the blindness was not as bad as he thought…
Still, he had a bad feeling…
So he followed quietly. However, just in case… he summoned Chansey - easy to summon, she was rumored to be a healer, and brought her with him.
 
Lance walked carefully to the river. He didn't need his eyes to see this, the sound of rushing water was soft, but he had sharp hearing now. The current was fast, and he had never learned how to swim…
He could claim it as an accident should anything happen…
Maybe some things were really preordained…
No matter.
He wants to forget us, all of us. I can still feel his emotions; try as he does to hide them. It will be much easier if I am not there in his way.
At least I could hope he loved me, before he fell for her… no, why am I wasting my time with wishful thinking?
I'm blind in either case.
She's lovely, she was pretty as a child and now I expect she's a ravishing beauty. She'll capture his attention, and he'll forget us.
It will be perfect.
 
Ash's breath caught as he watched Lance. He couldn't be lost, could he? Did he not see the danger?
Lance was blind, so he couldn't possibly see it!
“Lance!”
The thief seemed not to hear, before he stepped forwards and fell into the turbulent waters.
Perfect.
 
As the waters closed in, he imagined stars… and the rest of the Seven, already shining in the sky as they were meant to be.
I'm coming for you…
 
“Ah! Gyarados!” Ash cried, using his spirit skills.
The summoned creature swiftly dived underwater and fished Lance up. Ash fervently prayed to Honou that it wasn't too late.
No… he wasn't breathing…
Ash frowned, as he tried to think of what to do. Sighing, he began pushing on Lance's chest, rhythmically, watching as water was expelled and Lance coughed. However, he still wasn't breathing, so Ash pressed his mouth to Lance's and began blowing air in, hoping it wasn't too late.
After a few minutes, Lance was breathing on his own, although he was not yet quite awake. It was good enough for now.
Chansey used Softboiled on him just in case.
Hmm…
 
He had originally wanted to go moon-gazing with Misty tonight, but... no matter! Lance's life was more important!
It would work!
He couldn't let Lance die!
The familiar ache re-awoke in him. What if Lance had died? But… didn't he love Misty? Not Lance? Lance was only his teacher, right?
Right…
There was nothing more! He was just… worried! Lance was the last of the Seven Stars of Johto…
 
End Chapter
Completed 8/27/04
 
I don't think Lance is suicidal, but… yes, he does love Ash, but he wants him to be happy. He has a twisted perspective on life though. Lance doesn't seem to realize yet that Misty doesn't love Ash truly, and neither does Ash…