Pretear Fan Fiction ❯ All Over Again... ❯ How it all started... ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Mannen looked at the painting that was in front of him with a blank stare. He was at the art museum with Hajime and Shin because they begged him to go with them. He reluctantly agreed, thinking that he might find something that's interesting when he's there but he's barely enjoying himself. Maybe it's because he's just not an art person.
 
“What's the matter, Mannen? Aren't you happy that we're here?” Hajime, who had just realized that his friend was being unusually silent, asked with a smile on his face. Mannen sighed.
 
“This is a bore. Can't we go home now? I've had enough of paintings for one day.” He replied.
 
“But we just got here thirty minutes ago… Shin's going to feel disappointed.” Hajime told Mannen, glancing at a kid younger than him who was looking interested in everything.
 
“How about you go wandering around here by yourself? I'll wait outside for you.” Mannen said. Hajime wasn't very keen on the idea, but he agreed anyway. After all, arguing with Mannen won't do him any good. He's too stubborn for his own good.
 
“Alright, but don't blame me if you have to wait for a few hours.”
 
Feeling a bit happier, Mannen went outside of the museum. There weren't many things to do there, either, but at least he could get a bite to eat. He went to a nearby stall and bought a burger. After that, he sat at a bench and began eating it. He eyed the people who were walking outside the museum. Most of them were old people who seem to enjoy gazing at artistic things while others were children, waiting for their parents or grandparents patiently outside the museum. He never really asked why Hajime and Shin wanted to go there, but he had a strong feeling that the both of them were interested in these sorts of things.
 
It's been months after they defeated Takako. He and the other Leafe Knights were living a normal life, staying at the Awayuki mansion. Quite a boring life, but Mannen didn't mind. He had gotten tired of fighting and would rather lead this kind of life than live his whole life watching his friends get hurt. But something has been bothering him lately… those nightmares that he kept having. He couldn't help but think that something bad is going to happen and that once again he has to play his role as the Knight of Ice. Mannen was so deep in his thoughts that he didn't realize that a girl was walking slowly towards him.
 
“Hey Mannen! What are you doing here? I doubt that you're here to sightsee.” Kyoko, Mannen's classmate and also his best friend, said in a friendly way. Mannen looked at her and smiled. He was rather fond of the blue-eyed girl and he enjoyed talking to her. When he had just entered school, Kyoko was the first person that talked to him. She's a friendly, cheerful and carefree person and sometimes she can be a little bit mischievous.
 
“I'm waiting for my friends here. What about you?” Mannen replied.
 
“I had nothing to do so I decided to take a walk around town. I rarely get any exercise lately so a bit of walking should do me good. I have to admit I'm feeling a bit lazy though.” Kyoko explained. “Who are you waiting for anyway? A girl maybe?” Mannen blushed.
 
“No! What are you talking about? I do not have a girlfriend! I told you that many times, didn't I?” Mannen said, frowning. Kyoko just laughed and sat beside him.
 
“That's a bit weird. All of the girls in our school have a crush on you. Why don't you go and date one of them?” Kyoko joked. Mannen didn't find the joke very amusing.
 
“Stop talking about this. It doesn't really matter anyway. I am not waiting for a girl, alright. I'm waiting for Hajime and Shin.”
 
“Oh, them! You talk about them everyday, you know. I never really met them. Think I'll have a chance to do so now?” Kyoko asked. Mannen shrugged.
 
“I don't know. I think they'll be enjoying themselves in there for a few hours.” Mannen said.
 
The both of them talked for a while and finally Kyoko decided that it was time for her to go back home. After she was gone, Hajime and Shin suddenly appeared in front of Mannen, out of breath.
 
“That was fast. I thought you'd spend at least an hour in there.” Mannen stopped when he saw his friends' worried faces. This is not going to be good… he thought.
 
“Mannen, you won't believe this! Himeno-neechan called me on your cell phone and she told me that she had a fight with those Leafe eating bugs just before she arrived home!” Hajime exclaimed.
 
“Meaning…” Mannen almost regret his decision on saying that..
 
“We're going to need to protect the world's Leafe again…”