Pretear Fan Fiction ❯ One and Only ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7
 
Author's note: We're back with another chapter. Just to let you guys know… this is going to be pretty long. So… if you really like it, stick with me on this, okay? It's going somewhere. Onto the story!!!
 
Himeno wandered the halls, looking frantically into rooms along the walls. She seriously needed to use the facilities at that moment. She would have asked Shannon, but the girl had run off to play with Shin, and she couldn't find the other girls. She was beginning to think their five minutes were up, since she couldn't find anyone around for that matter.
She began to quicken her pace, feeling like her bladder was about to burst. “Why didn't I go on the plane???”
She rounded a corner and was preparing herself to have yet another trip around the floor, looking for the nearest bathroom, when she accidentally ran into someone. She fell to the floor with a thud, and shook her head to regain her senses. When she looked up, she saw none other than…
“Hayate!”
He stood up, shaking his head with a chuckle. “Should have known.” He reached out to help her up, and she took his hand and stood up, blushing. “You're such a klutz sometimes, Tulip head.”
“Dolt,” she grumbled.
“Idiot,” he shot back.
“Jerk!”
“Ditz!”
“Thick-sculled buffoon!”
To her surprise, he turned, a melancholy expression on his face. He seemed even more of a tight-ass then usual.
“Hayate?” she asked timidly. “What's… what's wrong? You usually aren't this angry at me after we do that.”
He glanced at her, and then sighed. “Himeno, do I… tick you off whenever I call you those names?”
She blinked. Never once has he cared if it bothered her. It was really strange for him to actually ask her what she felt about something for once. “No, you don't. I actually kind of enjoy it. It's kinda fun, you know?”
He nodded, but still seemed pissed. She tilted her head and looked up at him. “Hayate… what's wrong? You never ask me things like that.”
“I just…” he murmured. “I don't know. Sometimes it just seems like I'm not exactly the best boyfriend, you know? I mean I call you names and stuff. Normal guys wouldn't do that to their girlfriends, would they?”
“Hayate,” Himeno said, putting her hands on her hips. “For one, we're definitely not under the category of a `normal couple'. Two, who cares? I mean it shouldn't matter what the rest of the world does. I'm just glad we're together, you know? And… I'm glad you consider me your girlfriend.”
“Why wouldn't I?” he asked, confused.
“Well, it's interesting, but you've never actually asked me out,” she said. “I guess it was just implied or something, you know? It just didn't seem real to me for some reason.”
He let a small smile creep across his face. “Well, I do consider you my girlfriend. And if it would make it seem more real…” He cleared his throat and looked at her with a serious face. “Will you go out with me, Himeno?”
She stared at him for a while, and then blinked. Out of nowhere, she punched him in the shoulder, and yelled, “A little late there, aren't we?”
“What the hell?” he growled, rubbing his shoulder. “I just asked you out like you asked me to!”
“I didn't ask you to, you just did!” she said.
“And there's a problem with that?”
“Geeze you can be a pain in the ass sometimes!”
“Oh, you're telling me that?” he exclaimed. “That is so the pot calling the kettle black.”
“What the hell does this have to do with pots and kettles?” she yelled.
“You're so weird, Tulip Head.”
“Of course I am!”
“Of course you are,” he repeated.
“It's my star quality,” she proclaimed.
He chuckled and shook his head. After looking at her, his smile faded and he looked at her seriously. “Just… remember something, Himeno. If I do start to annoy you or piss you off, just tell me, okay? I really don't want to. I don't like hurting people I love… and believe me, there aren't that many of them.”
He turned around and said over his shoulder, “Everyone's waiting for us. Come on.”
She stared after him as he walked further from her. She realized that what he just told her must have taken a lot of strength and trust. For the longest time, he'd hid his feelings from everyone. And for the first time he had opened himself up to her. Before, he had told her that he loved her, but now he had shown her.
Why was she letting him go like that?
She slowly moved towards him, began to walk, quickened her pace, and then jogged over to him. When he was right in front of her, she reached out and slipped her arms around his waist from behind, making him stop in his tracks. She held him tightly, pressing her cheek against his back, feeling the warmth of him with her eyes closed.
“Hayate,” she whispered. “I love you. I'm sorry for never telling you that. Don't ever leave me.”
His hands covered hers and entwined their fingers together. He bent and gently brushed a kiss against her knuckles. Then he let go of her hands and turned around in her arms. He looked into her eyes softly and brought his hand up to cup her cheek in his palm. His lips hovered just above hers, and she felt his breath fan against her skin.
“I love you, too, Himeno,” he whispered. He brought his face down, pressing a kiss against her lips. Soft and tender, it felt like a butterfly against her lips. Slowly, she kissed him back, sending electricity through their bodies. She wrapped her arms around his neck, pressing him closer, and he held her body tighter in his arms. The pace of their kiss quickened, and she felt her world lifting up.
Someone cleared their throat, sending them hurtling down back to reality. They snapped apart and looked in the direction of the intrusion, and blushed when they saw Brian standing there with an uncomfortable look on his face.
“Um… sorry to intrude,” he said. “But we're waiting downstairs for you two.”
“Oh,” Hayate said, looking down at Himeno. “Well… I guess we should go then.”
“Of course,” Himeno said, looking at the ground. Her head snapped up and she looked at Brian suddenly. “Can I ask you a quick question, though?”
“I guess so,” Brian said, still getting over the shock of seeing the newcomer and her knight kissing in the middle of the hallway.
“Where's the bathroom?”