Pretear Fan Fiction ❯ There's No Answer for a Question Never Asked ❯ Gathering Courage ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Pretear or any of the characters... It seems having an entire series on DVD doesn't count for much in the fanfic world.

Anyways, if you guys could review, then I would feel so much better about writing another fanfic. I know this isn't very long, but... I think it's still interesting, what do you think?

---------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------

Everything was back to normal... Well, as normal as Himeno could ever expect it to be. When you shared a house with four Leafe Knights, you couldn't expect too much in the way of normal. But knowing that Hayate was only a few rooms down was comforting... She smiled softly at her reflection as she continued to brush her hair. Hayate... he was starting to act normal now, too. He wasn't as cold as he'd been before, but he wasn't overly nice either. She missed the way she felt in his arms... It was so warm, and she felt safe. Oh, there she was getting lost in thought again. A faint blush crept onto her cheeks as she got up and walked away from her mirror. She had been getting ready to go to sleep, but she really wasn't tired.. Maybe she could drop in on the knights to say good night.

Himeno slowly cracked the door open, not sure why she was being so shy. She peeked out for a few seconds before going into the hall. Mannen and Hajime had rooms on the left; Shin and Hayate were to the right. She couldn't decide... She couldn't deny that she wanted to see Hayate more than anything else, but she was almost afraid at the same time. She wasn't even sure why she was afraid, or what she was afraid of. She finally decided to go left... At least that would give her more time to think. She began to slowly walk to the left, towards Hajime's room. Moonlight flooded the hallways, and Himeno found herself watching her own shadow walk with her. She remembered playing with her shadow when she was younger... She would spend hours skipping and dancing, mesmerized by the way her shadow would always follow, no matter what she did. Himeno smiled at her fond memories, walking to the wall and putting her hand against her shadow's.

"Hello, friend. I'm sorry I don't talk to you more, but... well, you would know better than anyone else. So many things, so many people... So much has been happening, you know? But I promise that I'll always bring you along with me, no matter what happens." Himeno was whispering to her shadow, grinning as she spoke. She skipped the rest of the way to Hajime's door, opening it just a bit to peek inside before entering. It looked like Hajime was already asleep, but Himeno couldn't resist giving Hajime a kiss goodnight. She bent over Hajime and pecked him on the forehead before she turned around, staring for a few moments at the figure in the doorway.

"Mannen? What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in bed by now?" She spoke softly, so she wouldn't wake Hajime. Himeno hadn't been expecting to see the small white haired knight at the doorway, but she smiled softly as she noticed the sleepy expression on his face.

"Couldn't sleep.. Why're you in 'Jime's room?" Mannen yawned as he spoke, rubbing his eyes slightly as he looked up at Himeno. He was so used to sleeping with Hajime that he kept sneaking in and sharing the room with him. He made his way over towards Hajime's bed, not even noticing that Himeno had taken his hand and started to guide him.

"I just came to say goodnight. But you saved me some time. Goodnight, both of you." Himeno helped Mannen clamber into bed before she finally turned around to leave the room. She stopped for a moment to turn and smile at Hajime and Mannen, who already looked like he was sleeping, then left the room and closed the door. She looked towards Mannen's room for a moment before she turned towards Shin's room. And past Shin's door was Hayate's... Her heart fluttered for a moment while she vaguely wondered what it would be like to catch him sleeping. Another faint blush appeared on her face as she shook her head. Why couldn't she keep her mind off of Hayate, or the way he made her feel... Was she in love? She began to feel afraid again as she kept thinking about it. Would Hayate reject her, like he had Takako? Would she become a Princess of Disaster? No, she couldn't think like that. She already knew she wouldn't, because she knew she was loved by so many people... Even if Hayate didn't love her like she so desperately wanted him to...

Himeno had been so lost in thought that she'd almost passed Shin's room. She opened the door and wasn't at all surprised to find that he was fast asleep. It only made sense, though. Shin was the youngest of all the knights... She'd never even bothered to ask how old he was, but she could still tell that Shin was the baby. Come to think of it, she had no idea how old any of them were.. For all she knew, Hayate was in his thirties! And here she was getting all worked up over him... But she couldn't help it, she felt safe around him. She knew he would protect her, and just knowing that was somehow satisfying. Himeno sighed as she walked over to Shin's sleeping form, giving him a quick peck on the cheek. He was so cute when he was sleeping.

"G'night, Shin. I hope you have dreams filled with happiness," whispered Himeno. She couldn't contain her smile, yet at the same time, she couldn't stop her heart from pounding. Why was she so nervous? Was it because she knew she was going to see Hayate next? She could always just skip him, but... She didn't want to do that, either. If this was love, it was certainly confusing... But wasn't that how it was supposed to be? Himeno let out another soft sigh as she turned around to leave Shin's room. She stopped at the door, resting her hand on the knob. Was there any way to calm the pounding of her heart? Or would she be forced to deal with it as she said goodnight to Hayate? So many questions, and yet she still had no answers... She finally cracked the door open and took a step into the hallway. She was about to continue to Hayate's room when she noticed the figure standing in front of her bedroom door.

"Hayate? What are you doing out so late?" Himeno stared at Hayate, who had been standing still in front of the door, staring at it. One of his hands had been half raised, yet stayed motionless in the air. Was he going to go into her room? It certainly looked like he'd been ready to knock. So why didn't he just knock. And now, he was staring at her with those wide eyes. And... Was Hayate blushing? Himeno felt her heart beat faster as she found herself staring into his eyes. They were so beautiful... So full of emotion. But what was the emotion that they currently held? It somehow felt new to her, but Himeno knew she'd seen it before. What was it, it was more than just shock... Even more than just embarrassment. She just couldn't put her finger on it.

"H... Himeno? I was just... Well I... It doesn't matter, what were you doing out so late?" Hayate's expression had changed to anger while he spoke, his voice growing a little annoyed... But his eyes were still the same... Still that strange emotion.. Was it even possible that it could be... love? Himeno's own eyes grew wide for just a moment before she knocked that thought aside. She was being silly now, his blush was nothing more than embarrassment, his eyes were just full of the same. Yet Himeno couldn't help but wish that it was love, that he really did care for her... But wishing for something didn't make it happen...

"I was just coming to say goodnight to everyone. You've saved me some walking by waiting for me by my door." Himeno's voice was wobbling a bit, but her smile was sincere. She slowly walked towards Hayate... His eyes were so enrapturing... Why couldn't she look away? Why couldn't she convince herself that it was just embarrassment, just casual curiosity? Why couldn't she keep her heart from pounding? Why did she have to fall in love with him? More questions kept popping into Himeno's head, but she was still far too scared to ask any of them. The thought of rejection was painful, but the thought of losing Hayate, even as a friend... That was heartbreaking. She didn't think she could take it if she became another Princess of Disaster... She shuddered slightly, unaware that her eyes were beginning to water. Hayate had noticed, though. He had walked towards her as quick as he could before wrapping her in his arms. He couldn't help himself, he just wanted her to feel happy.

"Himeno, please don't cry... I hate it when you're sad." Hayate murmured more kind words into her ear, unaware that his breath was tickling it, causing Himeno's heart to pound even quicker. She tried to hide the pounding of her heart by burying her face into Hayate's chest... Warm tears formed a small wet spot on Hayate's coat, causing him to pull her closer into her arms. Himeno's face turned red as she heard something... That wasn't her heart she was hearing... That was Hayate's! But why was his heart pounding? Why was he holding her like this? Why was he letting her bury her face into his chest? She pulled back slightly and looked up at Hayate, fearful tears still rolling down her red face as she stared up at him. She opened her mouth, hoping to finally ask the question she needed to know the answer to... But she couldn't force it out, she just couldn't find the words to say it. She just kept staring at Hayate's eyes, desperately clinging to him as she tried to convince herself that she had nothing to fear... After all, she would never know if she didn't ask.

"Hayate... Hayate, can you promise me something.. Please, promise me that you'll stay by my side, no matter what?" Himeno had no idea how pathetic she seemed at the time. Her desperate voice and the streams of tears were practically begging Hayate to say yes, to accept her. Hayate didn't even think before he lifted a hand from behind her back and used it to wipe away one stream of tears from her face. His eyes softened to a look of sympathy as he used that same hand to cup her face, hold it up to look at him.

"Himeno, I'll be there for you forever... I promise I'll never leave you... I..." Hayate didn't finish his last sentence, his expression gaining some of the fear that Himeno had been harboring. Yet Himeno's expression changed to a weak smile, her spirit feeling just slightly more courageous as she stared at Hayate's face. He looked like he was afraid too... But what did Hayate have to be afraid of? He was always so strong, so why would he be afraid? Was it possible that he felt the same way she did, that he was afraid of rejection? Himeno felt her heart flutter as she found the courage to ask the question that she so desperately wanted answered.

"Hayate... Do you love me like I love you?" Himeno was surprised with herself; had she really just asked him? Her face twisted into an expression of hope and fear as she stared at Hayate's widening eyes. He stared at her for what felt like eternity, his lips moving soundlessly as he tried to fight back his shock. She.. She loved him. She really loved him. Hayate suddenly smiled with realization as he practically shouted his responce.

"I love you, Himeno. I love you so much." Hayate smiled down at Himeno as she wrapped her arms around his neck. Himeno's face quickly changed from fear to happiness as she smiled back at Hayate. She had finally gotten the courage to ask him... And he loved her! He really loved her! She found herself staring into his eyes again, watching his relief and love glimmer inside them as she leaned her head back slightly, her own eyes shining with expectancy as Hayate leaned closer to her.

Two shadows merged against the blank wall as they kissed.