Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Black Rain ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Bad Data
Rating: PG-13/R? Somewhere in the middle of that
Warnings: Not-so-typical pairings, Fuji/Inui, Implied TezukaxRyoma, Straight Kaidou.
Summary: I got excited about the success-rate of Black Rain 5 reviews seems like a lot for a first story. This here is a flashback/sequel to Black Rain. Inui tells Fuji his side of the story. We'll call it chapter 2.
Other: I hope the formatting works this time. Chap. 1 was poorly formatted, so I fixed it up. If you were confused, that's likely why. Or..so I hope.


***

The rain had really started coming down since the two of them had started their chat, and Fuji had apparently not arrived by car so Inui was quick to offer his ride. As expected, Fuji made no comment about the Ferrari, nor about Inui's choice of exceptionally expensive dinner catering. Inui's tastes and hadn't really made such a drastic change despite his salary, but it was nice to be able to spend his hard-earned money on someone other than himself for a change.

The real surge of nostalgia came when Inui pulled them into his driveway. Fuji craned his neck around to take a look, and nodded approvingly. "Very nice Inui...though I couldn't say this would be my first choice in location."

"It's..." Inui paused, "...appropriate for me." he concluded rather lamely. He had been about to comment on Mizuki's role in the purchase of his new location, but he suspected that after Fuji's recent confession, bringing up Mizuki would be somewhat insensitive.

They came to a rolling stop beside a catering truck parked a little further up the drive. Inui got out and paid the man quickly - before Fuji could protest or try to pay for some of it. There was about a 69% chance...yes, he still thought in percentages - that even half the price of this dinner was more than Fuji could normally afford. He realized with a start that he'd left his notebook at the tennis courts....had things really changed that much?

As they removed their shoes and coats at the door, Fuji spoke up again.

"...So, I told you my story...how about yours?"

"What makes you think that I have anything to tell?"

Fuji just smiled, and Inui sighed.

---


It was about the third year of Highschool that girls started noticing Kaidou. Inui, in all of his data-collecting glory couldn't for the life of him understand why, as Kaidou never looked into their eyes, and he always spoke to the floor. Then again, he didn't look down their shirts or talk into their breasts either.

What really floored him was when his doubles partner started noticing them in return. It was at that moment he got the impression that some of his data on Kaidou might be slightly off.

If by 'off', Inui had meant 'completely wrong', then there would have been a 100% chance he could have moved on and not spent the last 9 years of his life alone.

Later on, he would say that the one thing he learned from the experience is that love is in fact blind.

Rena was an admittedly pretty, and very atypical girl. She was constantly surrounded by a circle of friends, giggled and preened a lot, and spent over half her spare periods in the toilets crying her eyes out over her 'horrid-on-every-alternate-day' boyfriend with whom she enjoyed an on-again-off-again relationship. Naturally, she went out with one of the handsomest and most popular male specimins in the grade, Tennis team fukubuchou Momoshiro Takashi.

At least his data on Momoshiro had been perfectly accurate. Fancied himself a ladies man and he would never dare cheat on his girlfriend, but would always be a complete prat, and never quite get why she was always running off to cry after he'd said something 'fabulously witty'.

Inui had never even dreamed that Kaidou opting to comfort her had anything to do with liking her. If it had been left up to Inui, he would have force-fed her his new and improved Penal Tea just to cork her vapid cryhole. He didn't have anything against girls - he found several of the ones in his Anime club quite clever, and his science lab partener played a rather exceptional game of tennis when pre-med got overwhelming.

It was in fact, her who informed him of Momoshiro and Rena's breakup. As captain of the girls team, Akira Keito had been witness to the whole ridiculous affair. She was somewhat gossipy, and as a result, Inui got a lot of great detail of the sobbing, yelling and running off, and Momoshiro's stunned expression as he was left to stand in the middle of a court of catty girls - nearly all of whom were on Rena's side. Inui had to give Keito credit - she'd been as hard-nosed as Tezuka in her efforts to get the team back to training.

"...oh, but I heard she's already going out with someone new. Some other guy from the tennis team. Most of the girls are nuts over him, so he seems like precicsely the type Rena-chan would go for. You probably know him, ne Inui-san?"

"Probably...do you know his name?" Inui quite frankly didn't care who Rena was dating now, but he wasn't particularly interested in picking up his medical text at the moment either, and this was an excellent opportunity for data.

"Um...." Keito was thinking hard. "...K. Something with a K. Kaoru-san?"

Inui was now officially interested. "...Kaidou Kaoru?" he asked, a note of disbelief in his tone.

"Yeah! That's it!" she paused. "Isn't that guy your doubles partener? The one with the bandana?"

Inui had suddenly become very enthusiastic about studying.

That evening, he had confronted Kaidou about it - only to find much to his dismay that Keito's story had been absolutely corrent. Although Kaidou had shrugged it off as a matter of unimportance, he'd obviously been delighted. Inui's woes had tripled as Rena suddenly found it necessary to tag along to their games and try to set up Inui with every single one of her cache of equally vapid and giggly friends.

Inui had clung to the hope that his doubles partner was going through a phase, perhaps one founded in his continued distaste for Momoshiro, but it became evident by the time the arrived at the head of their University career and Momoshiro went off to a different school than the one that Inui, Rena and Kaidou attended - the couple was a serious one.

Inui worked his frustration into his studies and his tennis, and came out on top. He attended Kaidou's wedding...

----

"We lost touch three months, four days after that." Inui finished up.

Fuji closed his eyes. "As expected. You never found anyone new?"

"Not really." Inui poked at the remainder of his strawberry tart with his fork. "Keito opened up a practice in Hiroshima. I think she left because of me - she knew I never really was over Kaidou. It's not that we dated formally anyway - but I think that she wanted something more than just a casual relationship."

Pushing his chair away from the table, Fuji rubbed his midsection with a satisfied blissful expression. "You and I are a lot alike. It...takes time to get over someone you can't have." Fuji's blissful expression dissapeared. "Especially if you're not even allowed to have them in the first place."