Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Hyoutei Rabbits ❯ 04 ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

“Ah, okaeri(1), Yumiko-`neesan(2),” Fuji Shuusuke greeted his elder sister at the door.
 
Fuji Yumiko smiled at her brother. “Tadaima(3). Going for your tennis practice, Shuusuke?”
 
“Aa,” he confirmed. “Shall I?” He reached for one island of shopping bags.
 
“Thank you. Could you help me bring these to my room, please? I've more in the car.”
 
“Of course,” he smiled.
 
“Would I be delaying you?”
 
“Daijoubu(4).”
 
It took several trips to move Yumiko's shopping to her room. Fuji knew his sister believed in retail therapy, especially when she had writer's block. He found himself with several parcels and a large bag.
 
“Those're for Yuuta,” she pointed to the bag. “And these,” she loaded a few more packages into his arms, “are for you.”
 
“Arigatou(5), Yumiko-`Neesan.” Fuji smiled, albeit a bit strained. He was called as he turned to leave.
 
“Shuusuke, any news of the rabbits?”
 
“Iie(6), they seemed to have just disappeared.”
 
“Well, they're cute. And Sunny is extremely cute,” she smiled as the often sombre-faced Netherland Dwarf came to mind. “So whoever has taken them would be nice to them. I bought him a water bottle, in case he turned up again.” She took out a clear bottle covered with pictures of eggs dancing on spindly legs.
 
Fuji smiled. “ I'm sure he'd have loved it.”
 
“Shuusuke, are you mocking me?”
 
Fuji smiled, innocently. “Boku(7)?”
 
“Fine,” said the beautiful young lady, “be mean to your `Neesan.”
 
“Gomen nasai(8),” Fuji offered. “But I think you're right. They would be treated well.”
 
“I hope Sunny doesn't get nosebleeds anymore.”
 
“Actually, he didn't have any, when he was staying with Ishida.”
 
“Wasn't he taken away by a pretty girl? What's her name? Not Ishida, I remembered.”
 
“Tachibana An,” he supplied. “But she already had an usagi to take care of, so she had a friend to take him in. That's Ishida.”
 
“Oh. Well, we never did find out why he kept having nosebleeds.”

“Actually, I noticed he got them only when Yumiko-`neesan is hugging him.”
 
“Shuusuke! Are you implying that Sunny is allergic to me?”
 
Fuji raised both hands in appeasement. “Maa, it's just an observation.”
 
“Shouldn't you get going? Won't you be late for practice?”
 
Fuji recognised the dismissal and took his leave. He dropped off the presents in the rooms, before heading out.
 
 
A strong smell of soap and water permeated the bedroom. Shishido Ryou flopped onto his bed; enjoying the heady scent. He even washes his hair with the soap now. The good thing about short hair, he decided, was that you didn't have to worry about split ends. No more weekly intense conditioning treatment, no more nightcap, no more brushing or combing.
 
 
He was nonplussed to see Tachibana Kippei. Fortunately, nobody expected Chocolate, the Angora, to say or do anything. It did not occur to him that An was Tachibana An, Tachibana Kippei's sister. The same Tachibana who defeated him in less than fifteen minutes, he remembered thinking. An had given him a fur-cut, so he looked less like a pompom and more a rabbit. She cajoled her brother to keep him in his room. Hence he was officially kept in Kippei's room, but was free to roam the apartment.
 
He loved Kippei's room. The Fudoumine Tennis Club's captain was neat. His room was cosy. And it smelt good. He smelt good. His clothes smelt of orange and spices; citrusy, fresh, piquant, with a hint of sweetness. His bed wore the same scent. An was probably responsible for that. Shishido saw her replacing potpourri satchels in her brother's wardrobe. This zesty scent would be overpowered whenever Kippei emerged from his bath. That would be the soap and water, which enchanted Shishido. It was a comfortable smell: clean and fresh. It fades beautifully into a subtle perfume. He searched in supermarkets, and finally, specialty shops, for the soap; and was surprised to find it in a shop selling imported toiletries, for the Tachibana family was poor.
 
An showed him around the small apartment. She lifted him onto Kippei's writing desk, where there were two silver-framed photographs: one of his girlfriend in Kyuushu, and the other, of their old house. It was a mansion with a big garden. The photograph was taken the day they left for Tokyo. Everyone was smiling. It was a sad picture. An said the company their father was working for was accused of fraud, and was folded. Other firms in Kyuushu were not willing to hire ex-employees of that company. The mansion was newly acquired and they could not pay the loan installments. Instead of declaring bankruptcy, their father sold the place to repay most of the loan and negotiated for a longer repayment period for the rest. Finally, he found a job in Tokyo, and moved his family there. An's grandmother and great-grandmother, who were staying with them, decided to stay in Kyuushu. Fortunately, they did not sell their old family home after moving to the mansion. An's father was very disappointed, but he respected their decision. An said her father was probably feeling awful and guilty about breaking up the family.
 
Their present abode was small. There were only two bedrooms. An's room was a boarded area in the living room. Shishido felt sorry for her. The kitchen smelt bad in the mornings. A foul odour would emanate from the sink, although strangely, it would dissipate over the day. And the neighbours were not very considerate. During most nights, the rhythmic squeaking of mattress springs could be heard clearly in Kippei's room. Shishido was sure he was red under all the brown wool. Kippei, on the other hand, would be doing his homework, reading his book, or planning the next day's practice, utterly unaffected. Shishido wondered if Kippei was an innocent, (which he doubted,) if he was the only one hearing it because of his super duper rabbit audio reception, or if everyone was conspiring to drive him crazy.
 
Apparently, the soap was the only luxury, which the family indulged in. Kippei's bedlinen were mismatched. Shishido was sure some of them were high quality stuff. He could recognise the patterns on a few pieces. Having a mother obsessed with soft furnishings, does equip one with unnecessary knowledge. The feel of his sheets suggested a high thread count. But it was difficult to ascertain, when one had velvet paws.
 
 
He opened his eyes to survey his exquisitely colour coordinated room, and smirked at the silk carpet, which was not there the day before.
 
 
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
1) Short for Okaerinasai, which means `welcome home'.
2) Oneesan - Elder sister
3) I'm home.
4) No problem.
5) Thanks.
6) No.
7)Humble term used by boys, to refer to themselves.
8)Sorry.