Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Hyoutei Rabbits ❯ 07 ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Ooishi Shuuichirou could not help a smile of satisfaction, as he took in his room. Everything was where it was supposed to be. Spick and span! Having finished all his holiday homework the day before, he had spent the whole of Sunday cleaning his room: putting away his school books for the Summer vacation, tidying up his wardrobe, rearranging the aquarium and what Kikumaru called `sterilising everything in and out of sight'. He swung his legs off his bed and padded to the kitchen for a drink. His house was dark; it was nearly midnight. The bluish light from the aquarium in the living room caught his eyes. He shuddered with the memory of eyes that shone like rubies, when caught in this light.
 
The light in the kitchen came on with barely a buzz. He was quiet, as he poured himself a glass of water. Well, some rabbits' eyes catch light differently. He did not understand why Katou asked him to take in the Havana, after a few days. His junior had almost begged. Although the Flemish Giant was already at his home, he thought nothing of accepting. Cavy-chan was quiet and obedient, giving him no trouble. Coffee was also quiet and obedient. However, Ooishi did not once consider addressing him as `Coffee-chan'. The brown rabbit looked intelligent, and always seemed to be cogitating, when he was not observing the people in the house. It reminded Ooishi of a lion surveying his territory. Then, he understood.
 
He rubbed the goose bumps on his arms.
 
 
The sight of Matterhorn soothed him, albeit it was only a photograph. He could hear his father yawning loudly in the hallway, and his mother's soft shushing. He felt tired, but strangely alert. The long plane ride had been dull and trying.
 
It's good to be home, he thought. He learnt a lot in Germany, and befriended several interesting characters. His room had been cleaned and aired. He could smell the sun in his pillow and blanket. Moonlight cast a powdery sheen over his writing desk, and a distorted shadow of his desk lamp on the bookcase. Only a small patch of floor was brightened by the full moon. If Tezuka Kunimitsu, captain of the Seigaku tennis club, smiles, he would have done so. As it is, he merely relaxed the usual tightness around his mouth, as he recalled the living fur rug.
 
 
He did not join his teammates at the street tennis courts. He seldom joined them for club-unrelated activities. Some time before dinner, Kikumaru showed up at his door with a rabbit wrapped in a towel, and a bag of supplies. He could not decide if his tone was pleading, cajoling or coercive, but it was definitely effective. He was left at the door, carrying the rabbit and the bag of supplies, with instructions to keep `Honey' dry and warm, and to give him lots of water, food and love.
 
His mother was cooking dinner, so he did not trouble her. When he unwrapped the rabbit, he was surprised by his appearance. He had the longest and biggest ears he had seen. They would have dragged on the floor, if he was moving about, but he seemed to be taking a nap. He had honey-coloured fur with a white undercoat. Tezuka enjoyed the sensation of running his fingers down the English Lop's back. Then Honey sneezed. Tezuka clean his nose with a piece of tissue, and found it cold and moist. Honey's fur felt warm and dry. Perhaps not warm enough, Tezuka thought. He located his mother's electrical fur rug, plugged it in, and placed the rabbit on top.
 
His grandfather and parents did not object to keeping the rabbit. His mother thought he was really cute, and did not mind that her son had used her electrical fur rug to keep him warm. She even warmed up some water for the rabbit, but it did not wake up for a drink. The rabbit was moved to Tezuka's room. His mother thought he should keep an eye on him, and give him water and food, if he woke up. His father thought he should check if he was alive now and then. That was how Honey came to lie on the electrical fur rug in front of his clothes chest.
 
He was taking off his spectacles to place them on his neatly folded school uniform, when he remembered his father's words. He looked at the rabbit, who was sprawled on the rug, spreadeagled, sloppy ears spread over either side of his head. He panicked for a moment, put his spectacles back on, and stared at the rabbit. He did not seem to be breathing. Tezuka crouched and felt the side of his chest. There was a soft rhythmic thumping. He moved the rug into the patch of moonlight by his writing desk, and adjusted the boneless-like body, limbs and ears, so that the rabbit was lying on its sides. He got in bed and placed his spectacles beside his pillow. After some time, he looked at the English Lop again. He frowned. Then he sighed and got up to check his vital signs again. Honey was blissfully comatosed. Tezuka looked down at him with disapproval. He picked up the rug, and moved them to the side of his bed. He got into bed again. He leaned over the side and looked at Honey. He had not stirred the least throughout the handlings. Tezuka thought that if the rabbit sprouted another pair of limbs, he would be the cutest jellyfish alive.