Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Mirage ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]
Title: Mirage

Author: Harmonie Des Anges

Fandom: Prince of Tennis

Warnings: None

Disclaimer: Prince of Tennis is the property of Konomi-sensei et al. Not me, so no sueing.

Setting: During the series when Momo had lost his place as a regular.


The sound of racquets swinging repeatedly through the air, never striking a ball, was a soothing one, Tezuka decided. Though the soft, high whine of air through strings calmed him, Tezuka's posture did not change as he watched the first-years practice. Even if it was only practice, it was not the place to relax. Behind him, a chorus of balls made their presence known as the regulars began their practice matches. Turning slightly, Tezuka contemplated the far courts where six of the current eight regulars were engaged.

Kikumaru and Echizen faced one another on the first court, the redhead already dashing about on his side of the net and taunting his younger teammate. Tezuka's smile was almost imperceptible, as Echizen's twist serve won him a service ace. Kikumaru, however, had obviously not even begun playing, and told the first-year as much.

Further along Inui faced the team's other underclassman regular. It seemed that Kaidoh had been attempting to use his usual tactics and was growing noticeably frustrated at his lack of success. It was difficult to win against someone who knew all of your signature techniques. Inui only continued to counter calmly, looking for the rare opportunity to win a point against the tenacious junior.

On the final court stood Fuji and his sometimes doubles partner Kawamura. The power-player was engaged in his infamous habits of taunting his opponent and gesticulating wildly with his racquet. Fuji only smiled fondly at Kawamura, countering the heavy hits. Tezuka's eyes carefully tracked the tennis prodigy's movements as Fuji ran across the court. Graceful and elegant, Fuji never wasted a step or a swing. The slender wrists and arms did not betray the effort Tezuka knew would be necessary to return Kawamura's famously heavy balls.

The tsubame gaeshi skittered across the court, startling Kawamura. Fuji only smiled serenely on his side of the net, fingers quick to check the strings of his racquet.

Slender and delicate in appearance, full of elegant grace, gentle smiles, and a soft voice - in most people's minds that was the sum of Fuji Syuusuke outside of his amazing tennis abilities. There were even times when Fuji looked as if he'd break under too harsh a touch. It was almost like a trick of the light, a mirage. There were times when Tezuka wondered if Fuji's illusory triple-counter was simply an extension of the person.

Small yes, but the muscles were firm and compact on a surprisingly strong frame. Tezuka had felt those muscles and that power when Fuji offered him a reassuring hand or when he and Fuji were paired for stretching and warm-ups at practice. Tezuka remembered his surprise and Fuji's laugh when the smaller boy had managed to lift him so only his toes skimmed the ground during backstretches. He'd also seen the passion that burned below the surface that Fuji allowed others to see. He had seen the smaller boy loose his temper and yell; though the occurrence was rare, so rare it had only happened once in Tezuka's presence.

Fuji's smiles were genuine enough, but nothing compared to the look of open challenge that could cross his face on a tennis court. There were also moments of pure joy that would soften his otherwise sharp features. And though usually soft-spoken the powerful voice could carry over the distance of several courts, commanding attention when Fuji so desired.

Like an optical illusion, it was difficult to be certain of anything where Fuji Syuusuke was concerned. Tezuka wanted certainty. He wanted the chance to step onto a court and challenge Fuji and all of his own perceptions of the prodigy. Tezuka had been waiting since their first-year and the first failed attempt. He would try again, soon.

The pace of the racquet swings shifted, as the rhythm was lost. Tezuka turned back to the first-years to correct them.