Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ The Elements of Tennis ❯ Kurai and Akari ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Elements of Tennis
Chapter Seventeen
 
"I know," Kikumaru smiles. "But no worries now, promise."
The four tennis players return to the court, this time it's Seigaku's turn to serve. They set up, Kikumaru and Oishi line up in the Australian Formation, while Kurai is far to the left on her side and up next to the net and Akari is back on the baseline as far right as possible.
"Their entire center is open," Momoshiro points out.
"You ready, Eiji?" Oishi asks his partner.
Kikumaru stands, twirling his racket around his wrist, a dead give away that he was finally serious.
"Hey, Akari, be ready," Kurai calls out.
Akari simply nods in response.
Oishi serves the ball, and it falls towards the baseline with pinpoint accuracy. Akari once again uses Ra's barrier to deflect the ball back to Seigaku's side, Kikumaru is waiting with his acrobatic play to return the ball; unfortunately for him, Kurai sends it soaring over his shoulder with her own acrobatic-like moves. Oishi attempts to catch it, but falls short by a few millimeters.
"0-15," the referee announces.
"That was close, Oishi," Kikumaru assures his partner with a smile.
"Yeah, but don't forget, second place in tennis means you lose," Kurai smirks.
Kikumaru turns around and sticks his tongue out at her.
"Oh yeah, that's real mature. I thought you were a third year," Kurai teases as she rolls her eyes.
Kikumaru instantly pulls his tongue back inside his mouth.
"Eiji, don't mind," Oishi warns, stopping his partner from speaking again.
"Yeah, we'll get them this time," Kikumaru nods.
Kurai walks back to where Akari is for a moment.
"Let's see how high Kikumaru-kun can jump. You know the plan," she states.
"Roger," Akari smiles.
With that, Kurai returns to her place right by the net.
"I see, they've picked their victims, haven't they, Shinzoo?" Chikyuu asks.
"What are you asking me for? You think I can read minds or something?" Shinzoo asks in a hurt voice as tears start to form in her eyes. "You think I'm a freak, don't you?"
With that, the tears explode.
"No, I just thought you might understand their game play a bit better than the rest of us," Chikyuu assures the crying second year.
"Oh, in that case, yes. Akari's going after Oishi and Kurai's taking on Kikumaru," Shinzoo perks up immediately.
"Interesting, two baseline players and two acrobatic players," Seeshin interrupts.
"Oh yeah, it is that way, huh?" Koorai smiles.
"So, the girls made it so that it is a battle over playing styles," Hikaji points out.
"What do you mean, Hikaji?" Chikyuu asks.
"Watch them play. Whenever Oishi-kun hits, it goes to the baseline, where Akari is waiting. She then hits it back to Saigaku's court where Kikumaru-kun happens to be ready, but when he hits it, Kurai uses her reflexes to get to where the ball is with her own acrobatics, and hits it back before Kikumaru-kun can react. Then, it's up to Oishi-kun to catch the ball or else it is over for that rally, but if he manages to catch the ball the pattern just repeats," Hikaji points out.
The girls' eyes focus on the court for the next point scored by Akari and Kurai to find the pattern true.
"0-30."
"Kurai, my strings are starting to break apart," Akari complains as she points to her racket.
Sure enough, the strings were beginning to fray. Kurai looks at her own racket to see that some of her strings were hanging on by one tiny thread.
"Well, I guess these are gonna have to be re-strung later, huh, Akari," she states in an amused voice.
"You mean, we can use 'them' now?" Akari asks excitedly.
"Yeah, I guess," Kurai shrugs. "Hey, ref. we need a minute to get our other rackets, these ones are falling apart."
"Of course, we will be taking a few minutes of time out so that the B.E.T. girls can get better rackets and the baselines can be swept," the referee officially announces.
The girls walk over to Mizu, who looks surprised.
"You mean you actually have to use 'them' now?" she asks with excitement.
"Well, we can't very well use these. The strings are done," Kurai point out as she gets into her racket bag and pulls out an all black racket with black strings.
She tightens and loosens her grip on the handle a few times and swings it a few times.
"Yay!" Akari shouts in celebration as she pulls out an all white one with white strings. "It's so shiny! I love my racket!"
Randomly, Akari starts to pet her racket with her finger singing the word 'shiny' over and over again in a happy and possessed manor.