Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Unexpected Love ❯ What? A dance? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author’s Note: Hoi hoi! I don’t own any of the characters in this chapter, except for Reina.




________________________________________________________


Unexpected Love

Chapter One: What? A Dance?

________________________________________________________







Pushing her legs to run faster, Sakuno called out the name of the one she so desperately seeked. “Ryoma-kun!!”

Some distance away from her a young boy wearing a cap and carrying a tennis bag, heard her and turned revealing his uniquely colored eyes. She smiled with relief that he had stopped for her. She quickly caught up to him now that he was simply waiting.

“E..eto…” she stammered as she approached him. How come she always knew what to say to him when he wasn’t in front of her and when he was she could only stutter? “ …Is practice over already?” And she always ended up asking the most obvious questions.

“Aa. It just ended a few minutes ago…” He trailed. This girl always took a while to get to the point. “What is it?”

At his question she immediately turned a deeper shade of red than she had already been. “…I …I was just wondering if you… wanted to go have something to eat with me?”

He blinked staring at her in awe for a moment wondering why it took her so long just to ask that. She certainly was weird. “I would, but I can’t today. Momo-sempai is waiting for me.”

Her heart dropped in a second. “Oh…I see. ….Maybe tomorrow?”

“Maybe.” He answered with a shrug and turned continuing on his way.

Sakuno sighed and turned around dejectedly continuing on her way as well. “I didn’t even get a chance to ask him.” She muttered to herself looking at a school bulletin she clutched tightly in her hand as she headed home.

Arriving at the usual burger place, Ryoma quickly spotted his sempai sitting in their usual spot and already inhaling the food on his tray.

“Be careful not to choke, Momo-sempai.” He commented dryly with a smirk.

The older boy looked up at him, fifth burger half way in his mouth. Chewing and swallowing quickly, he pointed an accusing finger at the smaller boy. “Echizen! You’re late!”

“No, I’m not.”

“Yes you are! That’s why I couldn’t wait for you!”

“You never wait to start eating Momo-sempai….”

“Well, I’m a growing boy, I need to eat and keep my strength up!”

“Whatever…” With that, he left the team’s master of the dunk smash behind to go order his own food.

Returning only 15 minutes later, he found that Momoshiro had already finished all his food and was now lazily drinking his milkshake. Thinking that his sempai was finally full, he sat beside him.

Moments later a hand that was not his own began to steal some of his fries.

“Momo-sempai! Those are mine!” Ryoma hissed angrily shoving his hand away. “You ate already!”

“Heh heh, gomen, the smell got to me.”

“Che.”

Ryoma glared slightly at his sempai and then continued to eat his meal keeping an eye on straying hands. He should have known better to have thought that his sempai’s bottomless pit of a stomach could have ever been full.

“Eto, excuse me!” Declared a soft sweet voice from beside their table.

Looking up silently, Ryoma waited for the girl to get to the point. Momoshiro however had to fight back a blush from visibly showing as he gave her one of his best smiles.

She was pretty, no…make that very pretty. Standing patiently by the table she wore the restaurant’s uniform complete with the hat. Almond colored eyes peeked out from beneath the hat and honey brown shoulder length hair neatly tied peeked out through the back. Lip gloss made her full lips shine as her young face portrayed her innocence.

“Can I help you?” Momoshiro asked noticing her uneasy gaze.

She smiled and brightened immediately glad that she was not interrupting. “Gomen. I didn’t want to interrupt anything, demo…” She turned to Ryoma handing him a small tattered wallet. “You left this at the counter, you should be more careful.”

Ryoma blushed slightly with embarrassment that he would even do such a thing and bowed his head in gratitude. “Domo.”

“No problem! She answered cheerfully smiling and started to walk back towards the counter.

“C-chotto matte!” Momo suddenly choked out making Ryoma look at him in curiosity wondering why his sempai would want her to return.

“Hai?”

“Anou, you’re new aren’t you? I’ve never seen you here before.”

She nodded, smiling. “Hai. This is my first day actually.” She rubbed the back of her head nervously and laughed. “Is it that obvious?”

Momshiro smiled compassionately and shook his head. “No, I just noticed is all.”

“So I take it you come here a lot?”

“Well no, not every--”

“Everyday.” Ryoma answered for him, silently smirking evilly at his sempai.

The older boy glared at him but continued to smile at the girl as she laughed once again.

“Well that’s good, that means I get to see you more often then.” She commented with a wink.

Feeling his cheeks heat with slight embarrassment, Seigaku’s powerhouse chuckled nervously to avoid an awkward moment. “I guess so. Demo, you look like you are in Junior high, I thought we weren’t supposed to have part time jobs…”

Quickly covering his mouth, the girl bent and whispered quickly. “Shh. Please don’t say anything too loud, my uncle owns this restaurant and said I could work here if I didn’t get paid and it was only for a few hours, getting an earned allowance from him. So technically I‘m just here to help out, not a worker. ”

Both boys blinked at her quick explanation. Momo was the first to snap out of the daze. “Oh.”

She nodded. “That’s the reason I don’t have a uniform, just the hat.”

After pointing that out, they noticed that she indeed did not look like the other workers in her attire. Aside from the hat, her entire outfit was different and not like the uniform as they first assumed.

“So…what’s your name? Since you’re a regular customer and all.” She suddenly asked blushing slightly at her own boldness.

Giving her the best smile he could manage, the tall boy replied. “Momoshiro Takeshi, but you can just call me Momo..” He answered giving his last name first as it was done in their custom.

“I see, and you?” She asked the smaller boy not wanting to seem rude even though he had been silent throughout the entire exchange.

“Echizen, Ryoma.”

“Nice to meet you both!”

“Hai, nice to meet you too! …Anou, aren‘t you supposed to give your name first if you‘re going to ask the name of another?….what is your name?” Momo asked with a teasing smirk.

“Ah, gomen, gomen! You’re right! I didn’t mean to be rude, my name is…..”

“Reina! Get back here, I need your help please!”

“Ah! Gomen I’ll be right there uncle!” The girl shouted back and with an apologetic smile, waved goodbye to the two boys. “Well there is your answer! See ya later!“ and with that she dashed off.

Momoshiro stared after her. “Even her name is pretty…” he muttered and heard a small chuckle. Looking up he saw the amused face of his younger teammate. The accusing look alone made his cheeks flush. “What?”

Ryoma merely smirked, bemused at his sempai’s actions. “Mada mada dane.”


~*~

The next morning birds sang happy songs as the morning’s breeze brought the fresh scent of the morning’s dew.
Students from all directions came dragging their half dead bodies into their eight hour prison for the day. One particular boy was running as he chased his teammate that was riding a bicycle.

“Give me back my cap Momo-sempai!” Ryoma shouted as he neared the bike.

Momo turned to sneer at the smaller boy. “Only if you can catch me, Echizen!”

However, by turning around to taunt the tennis prince, he made an error in judgment in calculating the distance his bike had until it reached a pole. The impact made him tumble off his bike and fall heavily on his rump.

“Itai…” he muttered rubbing his backside.

Ryoma hovered over him a teasing smirk gracing his lips as he bent down and successfully retrieved his cap.

Seeing the boy’s intentions, Momo glared at him. “Don’t you dare say it….”

“Mada mada dane!” Ryoma stated anyway walking past his sempai nose in the air smugly making his way to class.

The rest of the day went by as usual, the classes were incredibly dull, uninteresting and not challenging at all. Especially his English class. Twice his sensei had to wake him to get him to participate in class more. When the bell finally rang signaling their freedom, Ryoma calmly walked down the hallway eager to get to the tennis courts.

“Oi, Echizen!!” a rather loud and obnoxious voice hollered suddenly demanding his attention.

He would have ignored it, but he knew if he did, he’d have to deal with a more annoying and angrier version later. He stopped and made his way to it’s owner on the other side of the hallway.

Horio tapped his foot impatiently waiting for the boy to reach him. “Hurry Echizen! You have to see this!” He shouted once more while pointing to the school bulletin board.

Not making any effort to hurry his pace, Ryoma arrived a minute or two after Horio’s frantic call. “What is it?” he asked bluntly as he approached.

“Ne, I was on my way to the clubhouse when I saw this!” The unibrowed boy exclaimed seeming quite distressed.

Looking upon the school bulletin board, he found the object of distress. About three flyers in pastel colors hung over all other bulletins demanding to be seen. The information on them was shocking. In dark bold letters, the flyers proudly proclaimed the fact that a school dance was coming in two weeks.

Not understanding why this would be a cause of much distress he turned to Horio and shrugged. “Whatever.”

“Echizen! Don’t you have any school spirit?? Aren’t you going to go?”

“Probably not.”

“Eh?!? Why not?”

“Because I don’t want to.” With that the boy continued on his way, his pace a little more hurried now. This interruption had caused them both to be a few minutes late already.

Horio watched him leave for a moment, slightly angered that the other boy didn’t understand the significance of this information, before he realized that he was late as well. “Kuso!” He shouted loudly before running after Ryoma as well.

Changing quickly and arriving on the courts, he was immediately confronted by his captian, Tezuka. “Echizen, you’re late.”

“Gomen nasai.”

“20 laps, now.”

“Hai.” Without another word, the tennis prince broke into a sprint.

Returning after his warm-up, the youngest member of the regulars noticed that his sempais had finished their warm-ups as well and were taking a few moments rest before starting practice matches. He also noticed that Horio had finally arrived and was now running his punishment laps.

Approaching his sempais, he noticed that they were all in a heated discussion about something as they still continued to stretch even though they should have been resting. He said nothing and decided to listen in rather than ask what all the commotion was about.

“Eh?!? That means we have to ask a girl out then, ne?!?” Momoshiro shouted out indignantly. When it came to the opposite sex, he was flirtatious, but when it was time to be serious and actually talk about getting into a potential relationship, he was timid and shy. That was why, when even Ann-chan had proclaimed that he was on a date with her, he had gotten nervous and had dragged Ryoma along.

“Che. Baka, that’s what a school dance means!” His rival responded irritated by his teammate’s ignorance.

“Shut up mamushi! It’s not like this school ever had a dance before! I’m not used to this!”

”Not knowing about it doesn’t mean you have to ask such stupid questions!”

“Like you’re so smart, baka mamushi!”

Kaidoh hissed in irritation. “Smarter than you!”

“I don’t think so!”

“What did you say?!?”

Drowning out the usual argument of his two sempais, Ryoma blinked and couldn’t help but mutter, “The first school dance ever?”

The tennis prodigy’s keen ears heard his question and turned to him, his ever present smile still plastered on his face. “Hai. This school is pretty much athletic oriented. I’ve never heard of it having a dance before. It’s because the new female seniors have complained and fought for this.”

“Ah, I see.”

“Nya, I don’t even know any girls.” Kikumaru suddenly whined thinking about the whole predicament.

“Honto? Me neither.” Both Kawamaru and Oishi agreed

Sure, they all had female admirers who constantly showered them with gifts and praise because of their tennis skills, but they didn’t know any girls well enough to call them friends. There were only a few they talked to every now and then since the less hyperactive girls were too shy and timid to approach them, treating them like stars.

Inui did not utter a word, but his silence was proof enough that he did not know any either. He had tried to gather data on a few girls, but they had proven to be far too difficult to understand.

“Heh.” Fuji simply answered having a certain girl in mind that he would ask.

He also found it quite interesting as how something as simple as a dance could cause his teammates to become more focused on girls. Who knew, perhaps this would do them all some good. It was a sign that they were maturing.

Kaidoh fought the urge to blush in front of his sempais when they asked if he knew any girl he would like to take and he had answered in the negative. Like his sempais, he knew no girls well enough to be interested in asking them to this dance. He knew a lot of them thought his face was scary and the others who showed interest, were too intimidated by him to approach. He himself had not felt compelled to approach them either and was now regretting that decision.

He knew that his rival had many acquaintances from the female population in their school, and did not want to be showed up by him.

Needless to say, he was secretly surprised when Momo as well said he knew of no one. None of the girls in his class interested him in such a way and for some reason his mind kept drifting to a certain girl he had met just the day before.

“Mou, it’ll be real bad if none of us gets to go to the dance, nya!” Kikumaru whined once more, obviously distressed about the whole matter.

“Aa.”

“We don’t have to go.” Ryoma commented, the only one who seemed to care less about the whole thing.

“Demo, it’s the first dance, I want to be part of that before I graduate.” Kawamura quickly responded to which the others agreed to.

Ryoma, Kaidoh, and Momoshiro would have other chances, but this was the only chance that their sempai’s had left to participate in such a thing at this school.

“Oi, why is everyone just standing around?!?” a voice suddenly boomed belonging to their one and only captain.

“Tezuka!” They all shouted at once surprised that they had been in such a daze for so long. They had seen him leave, probably taking a bathroom break and he had probably been sure that they’d be practicing by the time he returned. “Gomen nasai!” They all shouted while bowing immediately afterwards, realizing their mistake.

“Everyone, 50 laps now! And warm up your bodies again.”

“Hai.” Everyone chorused dejectedly as they broke off into a sprint.

As they ran, their minds were still muddled with the thoughts of the school event. Ryoma was the only one who ran calmly not worrying about such a thing at all and wondering who he’d have to play against in the practice matches.



________________________________________________________________________ ________

A/N: Well, I hope everyone enjoyed that. My first Pot fic and I wanted to right something like this because quite frankly, I was tired of reading only yaoi fics of them. I have nothing against them, but when that’s all you have to read, it’s a little too much for me. Hopefully this will work out the way I’ve planned and you will all enjoy it.

Please leave any praise, comments, suggestions, and constructive criticism, or even just a friendly hello in a review! I would appreciate it very much and it would make my day! Thank you! (Or should I say, sankyuu! Lol)