Princess Mononoke Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Silent Prince, Perfect Collection 1 ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9

Genji gorged down a few more bowls of ramen before he settled into bed. His room hadn't been painted yet, so all his walls were white. His candle had been blown out a long time ago, and Yume was fast asleep on the floor. He didn't know if his full stomach was keeping him up or what, but he found sleep difficult to catch. So, he just relaxed his body, and summoned his guardian.

<Genji, it's half past ten! Why aren't you asleep? You have a big day tomorrow!>

Yeah, I know…but I just can't sleep…

<Just close your eyes and talk to me for a while. That should do it. So, what do you think of the outside world so far?>

It's beautiful. Just like on TV.

<Heh. Give it a while, kid, and it'll be nothing like on TV.>

Well, I'll wait for it…

<…>

<What's on your mind?>

White walls.

<What about them?>

Bad memories.

<San Petunia?>

Yeah.

<Quit thinking about that bitch, Genji. She whitewashed most of your life away.>

But I feel so sorry for her…

<That's natural. You assumed her your mother for ten years.>

Guardian?

<Yes?>

What can you tell me about San Masquerade?

<Your mother?>

Yeah.

<Well, she was a very young woman. She became a priestess when she was eighteen, and had you a year later. She was a very smart woman, I believe she did well in school…>

I heard she wasn't born on the mountain.

<That's right. She immigrated to the Wolf Jaw from an American province. I think it was the States…but she was very happy on the mountain.>

What about her family? Are they still around?

<Uh…well…>

No?

<No. All of them were killed by Cell. That was why she came to the mountain.>

!!!

<Sorry, Genji.>

What about my father? Didn't he have family?

<Nope. Not even a mother.>

…Oh.

<You're still not asleep.>

Guardian! You know who my father is, so just tell me!

<I can't…>

Can't or won't?!

<I can't. The demon won't let me. I'm scared if I tried to tell you so much as your father's name, the demon may try to kill you.>

But why?!

<Well, let me put it to you this way…everyone's fears are correct. It's genetic. This demon came from your father.>

Suddenly, Genji felt his heartbeat quicken a pace.

<Uh oh, I said too much! Get that scroll, Gen…>

Genji sprang to a sit as his heart squirmed inside his ribcage. It felt like lots of small worms were rapidly crawling around his chest. The pain seemed to burn into his back, forcing him to thump his head back into his pillow. He reached for the tea table where a Shinto scroll was lying in early preparation. The life saving piece of paper was just barely in reach with his fingertips.

He felt himself begin to fade. The world seemed to be turning black. He tried to reach, but he couldn't see what he was reaching for. He felt himself fall from the bed onto a warm, furry body below. He heard a whimper of pain as the body suddenly moved away and he was on cold, hard ground.

"Genji!" he heard Yume bark in fear. "Oh no! Help!" Then, she howled loud and long with urgency. It rang in Genji's ears, and the pain intensified.

He stopped breathing.

/|\

Yume's howls woke up the whole temple, and Ryu was the first to the door. He saw Genji squirming on the floor, and Yume yowling by his side.

"Help him!" she cried to Ryu. He quickly rushed into the room, and knelt next to Genji to hold the boy still.

"What's wrong with him?!" Ryu demanded.

"The demon's attacking him!" Yume kept barking. "Do something! Please!"

"Uh…" Ryu quickly looked around the room. He saw the scroll on the table and he quickly picked it up. He knew what to do, but he forgot the damn incantation! All he knew was a joke about Sailor Moon…

…but it was something!

"Post-it Note Power!" Ryu shouted, slamming the scroll on Genji's chest. Genji fell limp with a gasp and started inhaling air into his lungs. The scroll smoldered into ashes on Genji's chest before Ryu's eyes. "Oh my gods…"

"What's going on?" a priest asked by Genji's door.

"Something about Post-it Notes?" another wondered. Ryu looked up at the gathering crowd.

"Someone go get Dr. Cid!" Ryu shouted at them.

"He left for Taj a couple hours ago." One answered.

"Dammit…" Ryu muttered. He looked down at Genji. "C'mon kid, stand up." He helped the boy up to his feet. Genji was still too winded to stay on his feet, and he started to fall over. Ryu caught him, and quickly hung Genji over his shoulder.

"What are you doing?" Yume whimpered in worry.

"I'm taking him to our tribe doctor." Ryu said to the wolf. "He's in Taj, a village south of here. It's not far, but maybe you should come with us." He started walking for the door, and the priests parted a way for him. Yume lumbered behind him, whimpering. The priests and Dr. Nezu watched them go. Ryu and Yume left the temple, and walked down the city block under the light of the stars.

/|\

Genji opened his eyes to find himself being carried through what looked like a forest. It was strangely hot, too. He raised his head to see Yume walking behind him. Genji looked around some more, and noticed that he was being carried over Ryu's shoulder. The tiger priest turned his head down to the boy.

"You okay, Genji?"

Genji nodded.

"Y'know, kid, I was thinking…when you're headed east with your wolf, and you have another one of those heart attacks, then there's no one around to help you…"

"What about me?" Yume spoke up.

"Sorry, Yume." Ryu chuckled. "You're great help, but I meant someone with human hands. Anyway, Genji…maybe another human should go with you." He flashed a friendly smile. "Like me."

Genji looked up at Ryu's face with a smile, and nodded in agreement.

Perhaps it was a mistake to not let anyone from the mountain go with me…

Author's note: About the Post-it Note joke, Sailor Mars is a Shinto priestess who sometimes uses scrolls as she fights the forces of evil. The common parody of her "Evil spirits, be gone" chant was "Post-it Note Power" since the scrolls traditionally stick to the evildoer's foreheads as though it was a Post-it Note. Also, for the culturally challenged, Shinto scrolls are commonly used for exorcising evil spirits from the body of a person, and do stick to the person's forehead when successful. Thank you!