Princess Mononoke Fan Fiction ❯ The Wolf-Girl of the East ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Wolf-Girl of the East

Disclaimer: I do not own Princess Mononoke characters. I only own Rika.

Prologue: Rika Found, the Human-Wolf

The story begins as Moro leaves her younger brother to live in the western forest. "Baby brother, I will visit you when my cubs are just grown enough to run to you. I will stay alive for you. Farewell, my brother, farewell."

"Farewell." Her brother's unusually deep voice bellowed. He watched her leave until he could not see her anymore. He moved his head to the right, for he smelled something putrid and awkward. He called to his mate, Neva, and they both followed the smell to a human campground. Many saw him and ran, but one group of people caught his eye. A young male, a young woman, a 2-year-old girl, and a small bundle was held delicately in the woman's arms. When they saw him coming toward them, the woman stopped and squeezed the bundle tightly.

The woman screamed as he traveled closer to the woman causing the other persons in the group run to her. " Please!" The woman screamed, "Please! Don't take my baby! Take me! Let my baby live!" The man took the baby out the woman's arms, set it down, and then dragged the woman away. "No! My baby! Let go of me! No!"

Kinao lets his mate look at the face of the baby, and it starts to cry. Kinao looks at it and is amazed. Small silvery-gray wolf-like ears sat on top of her head, small in size. A small gray stripe extended a few centimeters from the left side of the young baby's face to the middle of her left cheek. Small Yellowish-amber eyes look up at him and the baby stops crying. It lifts its arms and coos. He sniffs it and confirms that it is a girl. He glances at his mate and she stares back with a hopeful look in her eyes.

"No, she would be too different from the cubs we already have."

She argued, "No, she is as much a wolf as they are and hasn't been blinded by the human's ways. We can teach her to be like us, she will not be a wolf, but she will also not be human. We must keep her. If she grows up around humans, she will be the one to kill us, but if she grows up around us, she will be the one to save us."

Kinao lowered his head, "Fine. We shall keep her, but, she will be raised to hunt and do duties like a male, therefore, we must lead her to believe she is one." Neva nodded, and they took the young baby back home, and as soon as she could, they began her training. They decided that her name was to be Rika, which to them meant lone wolf.