Project A-Ko Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki 1/2 (A Very Scary Thought) ❯ Immortal Guardian... ( Chapter 112 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Nabiki 1/2

(A Very Scary Thought)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Based Upon the Altered Destinies Storyline

Inspired by the works of such fans as

Wade Tritshler

Richard Lawson

James Jones

And Many Others

Standard Disclaimer: This is inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and is not my original creation. All characters belong to her. This is only a fanfictional work, and is not intended to compromise the rights of the original owners, distributors and publishers of the Ranma series. I have no money to spare and would very much appreciate if no one tries to sue me.

"Well, Mrs. Saotome?" their host graciously asked, "I trust your meal was to your satisfaction?"

"Oh yeah," Nabiki replied as she glanced at their dark-eyed, black-haired host of indeterminate age, setting down her napkin before adding, "Your cooks are almost as good as my sister, Kasumi. Believe me, her sukiyaki dishes are something to die for."

"I'll try and keep that in mind," said the other man at the far end of the table, big, tall and formidable looking with long hair done up in a pony tail, studying the rest of the guests at the table with a casual scrutiny that many there found quite unnerving.

Their host smiled at the larger man and said, "Frank tells me that you are quite the overachiever yourself at this age, Mrs. Saotome. From accounts, I hear you all but run the high school that you attend, yet rather than perpetuate the criminal activities that you displaced, you have chosen to organize things along a more constructive and enlightened model."

"I do what I can," Nabiki shrugged, glancing over at her husband before saying, "My friends help out a lot, but I'd hardly agree that I'm running everything at my school, just the student activities. We still tangle every now and then with our principal..."

"My father," Kodachi elaborated, "A very troubled man to be certain, but my brother and I do as best we can to love him..."

"Quite all right, Ms. Kuno," the refined Italian-accented gentleman sitting at the head of the table replied with a casual hand gesture, "Personal family business need not be discussed if you feel in any way uncomfortable on that subject. As you are my guests upon this vessel, it is only fair that we speak as casual as circumstances permit us, but you are under no obligation to explain anything. I merely ask out of honest curiosity and with the utmost politeness."

"No, you are quite within your rights to know the nature of my family's deepest shame," Kodachi replied, "Especially in light of the fact that I contributed to it so heavily for a time, indulging in rose extracts, even making my own brother into an addict," she sighed, "There are times I almost regret losing the comfortable blanket of madness that sheltered me from having to realize just how far I had fallen. But be assured that I am a different person now and that I seek to make amends for my numerous former transgressions."

"Kodachi-chan," Akane put a hand on the arm of her closest friend, while Keiko held the Black Rose's other hand and smiled at her in a reassuring manner. The others at the table politely pretended to ignore them, though Ranma gave the former object of his affections a wistful glance, tinged with amusement and regret, which same emotion was recognized by the immediate members of his own close family circle.

"Shampoo agree that Rose girl much easier to like now that she no longer so crazy," Shampoo spoke aloud before turning an affectionate glance towards her own wife, "Is much that happen lately that we all think better left unsaid. When we on Aunt Lanocane's boat we not behave like normal folk, and maybe is best we let it go as things that no need to be spoken."

"Sorry to disagree with you, Sugar," Ukyo spoke up, "But it happened, and some of us now carry the result of those shenanigans we all went a little wild with."

"It's still going to take us quite a while coming to terms about that," Perfume agreed, "I mean...Nabiki is pregnant, and that's not even the wildest part of what happened."

"Oh yeah," Nabiki sniffed, "Lao must be laughing up her nonexistent sleeves about now. Still...it is kind of nice to know that Ranma and me will have a little nipper of our own to give our Lilac and Fragrance a run for their pocket money."

"Not to mention our own Eileen," Beatrice spoke up from where she was taking turns cradling her child by Alison in her arms, still growing accustomed to the weight of new life that had been shared between them.

"Yeah," Alison herself glanced around the table and said, "Lemme see if I can get this straight. Nabs and Ranma-kun have a kid on the way, Ucchan isn't pregnant right now, but Shampoo is, and so are Akane and Kodachi?"

"So who's the father of those last two?" Ukyo smiled slyly, "Ryoga-kun?"

Ryoga coughed out the bread that he had just been chewing upon, taking several moments to sputter and choke before Akane thumped him on the back a few times to help clear him, after which pause their host nodded and continued.

"Further tests may be needed to establish this, but yes," the mysterious man named Magnus replied, "I do believe the four of you are expecting, though paternity can be determined at a later point. Oh, and Mrs. Saotome...good luck on maintaining your feminine state for the duration. If you should have any need for medical assistance, though, do not hesitate to call upon my services. I can recommend the finest medical staff in all of Japan and place them at your disposal with all expenses covered compliments of Richardson Industries."

"Ah...yeah?" Nabiki asked rather hesitantly, "And...what prompts you to offer us this?"

"Human generosity and a sincere interest in your welfare," the dark-eyed man replied, "Not that I blame you for your understandable skepticism and reluctance to accept my offer at face value, seeing as you know little about me other than rumors, old stories and Frank's recommendation. I assure you, though, that there would be no strings attached to my assistance. I fund many operations the world over in hopes that the seeds I plant will bear fruit in due course."

"Like...how immediate?" Nabiki asked.

"I tend to think in very long terms, Mrs. Saotome," Magnus assured her, "Time means little object for me. Generations come and go, but what matters is the here and now of our existence. Since I have the means to be of assistance to you and your loved ones, nothing else would give me more pleasure, and I have learned that, in most such affairs, virtue is indeed its own reward. You would understand this if you had seen as much of life as I have."

"Do tell," Nabiki mused as she sipped from her wineglass, "And, just for the record, how much time are we talking about here? I mean...you don't look like an Amazon or a wizened up old gnome, but I take it you're older than you look?"

"Much older," the other man replied, "In point of fact, I have not aged a day since I became a Guardian of the Elements and a master of all sciences, but if you wish to know the date of my birth as a token of my good faith, then you may know that I was born in the year of our lord 1503, August the 4th of same at the third hour of morning."

This time it was Nabiki's turn to spit out the wine that she had been sipping, prompting Ranma to provide her with a few back-thumps before he turned and asked in her place, "You're what?"

"Five hundred years old?" Perfume blinked.

"'Scuse me for saying this, Sugar, but you don't exactly look it," Ukyo noted.

"You don't even look fifty," Ryoga ventured.

"What's the big deal about five hundred?" Frank asked, "I'm two centuries old myself, and I've known guys old enough to call Julius Caesar a JD. Just 'cause Magnus here don't age and can't be killed ain't nothing to get all that excited about."

"Cannot be killed?" Kodachi blinked before saying, "Um...well...we all must bear our burden..."

The dark haired man in the refined evening wear just smiled and placed a knife point-up on the table, then calmly set the palm of his right hand directly over the point and pushed down with some exertion, causing it to bend and double. He then raised his palm and snowed that it was essentially undamaged, not even bearing a dimple in the center.

"Big deal," Alison sniffed, "My dad can do that."

"Indeed he can," Magnus smiled as he picked up the bent silver knife and straightened it out again, then rubbed his fingers over the bent point until it was smooth to the touch, and without applying much force to the effort.

"Whoah," Akane said as Magnus held out the knife for their inspection, passing it along from hand-to-hand until it arrived at Nabiki, who studied it critically and held it up to the light as though inspecting the flaws of a diamond.

"Now that's different," Keiko offered after taking her turn inspecting the now-flawless object.

"I am a Guardian of the Elements," Magnus explained, "Through the power of Alchemy and the will of the Powers I am immortal and cannot die. My name birth name is Magnus Castiglione, born in Venice during the time of the Renaissance and taught the thaumaturgical arts by my more famous Uncle Baltesar, the one who wrote the Book of the Courtier. Through a pact that I made with the Powers that Be I was granted my peculiar gifts of a long life and a commanding place in the war between the forces of light and darkness, but that is hardly germane to the matter at hand. My life history is but incidental to the moment, I merely state my true identity so that you may know that I am dealing in good faith. You, on the other hand, are like an open book to my people and my organization. Though you are effectively amateurs, your record of accomplishments to date have been quite impressive."

"Indeed?" Beatrice remarked, "How..."

"Oh, for kami's sakes, Beiko," Alison snapped, "Whatever you're gonna say next, don't say it's fascinating."

"No," Beatrice replied, "But I do find it...interesting."

Allison looked skyward.

"So much for laying our cards out on the table," Nabiki said as she leaned back in her chair, "So why reveal this to us? And what have you to gain by coming out this much into the open?"

"What I have said is known to those who have a need to know with whom they are dealing," Magnus replied, "No one else would believe you if you were to repeat this story to outsiders, and my enemies, of which there are quite a few, already know what they need to know about me. Therefore I risk nothing by being frank with you, save that you might yourselves find it difficult to believe my story."

"Well, I'm not saying that I don't believe it," Nabiki replied, "After all, with what we've been through, it'd be stupid to dismiss it out of hand. But you've only answered half my question..."

"And you have answered it for me," Magnus countered, "You have a mind like a steel trap, Mrs. Saotome, and a skill at deduction that is remarkable for a person of your tender years. I have seen a great many gifted people come and go in my time, far more than you could ever seriously credit, and I have learned the hard way that when talent comes along you don't neglect it. Nurturing seeds take time and patience, and I am fortunate to have both in great supply. I do not mean to imply that you need or should necessarily accept my offer of support, but I do hope that you will consider it as one option out of many for your future."

"Thanks," Nabiki nodded slowly, "I'll consider it."

"But for now you prefer to work by your own means," Magnus smiled again, a slight curling of his lips around the edges that implied that he was not a man who smiled too often, "I respect your independence, even as I admire the way that you and your loved ones have bonded together for a common purpose. Let us leave the subject of the future for now and return to matters of the present, such as your interrupted honeymoon and the reservations that await you in Sydney, where I believe we shall be arriving within the hour."

"What?" Ukyo sat upright, "Are you serious?"

"We were hundreds of miles away from Australia to the best of my estimation," Beatrice remarked, "Are you suggesting that this marvelous submarine of yours can cover such a distance in a matter of hours?"

"The Nautilus is a very unique and advanced model, Ms. Daitokuji," Magnus replied, "It employs principles of science quite a bit ahead of conventional submarine technology..."

"Got a cruise speed of around eighty knots standard," Frank remarked, "It can do twice that at full tilt, and retain stealth mode on sonar the whole way."

"But how is such a thing accomplished?" Kodachi marveled.

"A sub that moves a hundred miles an hour underwater?" Keiko averred, "Even Captain Lao never could accomplish something like that."

"Magnetic induction," Frank explained, "The hull's electrified with an ionic field that polarizes water molecules, opening a corridor directly ahead of the sub and shuffling those particles to the rear with almost zero friction. Pretty much the same principle that works on a pneumatic shuttle tube, only using a different medium than air. In effect we just slide through the ocean with suction pulling us forward and induction pushing to the rear..."

"I understand now," Beatrice said excitedly, "A system such as this would not require a conventional propeller, and so it would turn using ion flow instead of aileron planes, and no cavitation to give away its presence to passive sonar..."

"Now you've gone and done it," Alison rolled her eyes, "She's gonna be like that all night, won't get a lick of sense out of her if it's under five syllables. Might as well sleep on the couch tonight instead of listening to her chatter..."

"I'm not really that bad...am I, Aiko?" Beatrice turned to her wife with a questioning expression.

"Oh no," Alison replied as she rolled her eyes, "I didn't just marry a walking encyclopedia who can turn a box of Kleenex into a death ray in under half an hour, and I actually do understand what you're talking about at least a third of the time, and why was it I married you again and let you put this kid into my belly?"

Beatrice leaned forward and smiled, "Because you're crazy about me and can't bear the thought of living the rest of your life without the co-mother of your child at your side, and you know I'd be just as lost without you."

"Darn," Alison replied as their noses were almost touching, "I knew there had to be a reason..."

"May I construe from your description that this vessel is also powered by an energy source more advanced than conventional nuclear reactors?"

"On principle I am against using a limited resource to provide fuel for transportation," Magnus replied, "Plutonium is a messy, dirty, dangerous substance to muck around with in a fission reactor. I learned that mistake the hard way and I do my best not to repeat my errors..."

"Here it comes," Frank rolled his eyes as though listening to a spiel he had heard recited over and over.

"Ahem," Magnus glanced at his larger compatriot then said two words in lieu of the lengthy explanation he had been about to deliver a moment before, "Cold fusion."

"You mean...that's possible?" Nabiki wondered.

"Not only possible but practical," Frank replied, "A nearly infinite clean-burning fuel source whose main bi-product is irradiated lithium and helium, nearly inexhaustible and can run for mere pennies when compared to conventional fuel sources."

"But...how is it that such a technology isn't available to the public at large?" Ryoga asked in a surprisingly practical tone of voice.

"Because the technology is surprisingly simple to duplicate, once you understand the scientific principles involved," Magnus replied, "And an energy source that can be used peacefully to heat homes and run vehicles could also be employed to less favorable ends...far more destructive."

"Meaning you harbor this knowledge to yourself rather than disseminate it to the public at large as a means of preventing it from being abused," Beatrice clarified, "But who makes you the fit judge of what should and should not be allowed in the hands of others?"

"The benefits of hindsight and experience, Ms. Daitokuji," Magnus replied, "When Alfred Nobel found the means of refining a better explosive he could not have visualized the truly lethal purposes to which his discovery would eventually be turned. When Albert Einstein submitted his theories on Special and General Relativity, could he have visualized Hiroshima and Nagasaki as paying the penalty for his genius?"

"And of course you knew them both personally, right?" Nabiki asked blandly.

"Not as well as I would have liked," Magnus replied, "But then again, I have been a very busy man in my time and I do try to get around. I would have warned both men that there are always unintended consequences to every discovery, such as the private notes of Da Vinci and the ways in which his own remarkable foresight might have turned to dire purposes had his voluminous notes upon warfare been accepted by the ruling princes of my country. As bloody as European history was for us, it could have been truly horrific had men of my day possessed the weapons of war that are so common in the present."

"Actually, the idea is to make advanced technology available to the public at large once things quiet down enough and wars become much less common," Frank explained, "That's why Delphi was created, a secret society dedicated to the advancement of humanity with Magnus here as its nominal head, though how you can lead an outfit as anarchistic and Libertarian as this is beyond my understanding."

"Delphi?" Ranma asked with an arched eyebrow.

"Named for the legendary holy site dedicated to Apollo," Kodachi reasoned, "Where an Oracle was said to live atop a tripod situated over rift in the Earth through which a spirit called the Python was said to commune with travelers seeking knowledge."

"Quite correct, Ms. Kuno," Magnus noted, "Only my outfit is a very loose association of independent groups dedicated to the preservation and advancement of knowledge. We seek to influence the world through subtle, beneficial outlets, sometimes by opening channels for communication between those who are unable to converse through other means, sometimes by giving history itself a nudge on the path of democracy and individual liberty. But we do not seek to rule or oppress...that is the path chosen by our enemies, those who would enslave humankind and impose a strict code of regimentation upon all of human behavior."

"Nice sales pitch," Nabiki said, "But so far I don't see the bottom line to this. You want to help my family and me? Try explaining how much you really do know about us."

"If, by that, you mean to suggest that we have been keeping an eye upon you and your loved ones, then you would be correct," Magnus revealed, "Nor are we the only ones doing so. Powerful assets such as you invariably attract the attention of a great many people, and not all of them wish you well, Mrs. Saotome. In point of fact, that is the reason why Frank here has assigned someone to keep watch over your house in case Dimitri Maximoff makes another attempt upon your family, most especially your older sister."

"Kasumi?" Nabiki turned towards the larger man sitting at the table, "What do you know about her?"

"Plenty," Frank replied, nodding towards Beatrice, "For example, and your friend here can back me up on this, I happen to know that her medical condition has been wavering ever since Donovan Bane cast that exorcism spell to attempt to free her from her Vampirism. Lately she's been showing signs of relapsing, so I had one of my people stop by to initiate contact, give her some helpful advice, maybe even determine if her condition is stable or if there might be more complications."

"Complications?" Ranma sat upright, "Kasumi?"

"Don't get your drawers in a bunch, Kid," Frank gruffly sniffed, "Could be we're worrying over nothing and your adopted Big Sis could just be having her time of the month. Somebody goes through the kind of ordeal she had, it's bound to leave a few odd side-effects, in fact..."

A beeping sound startled everyone, sounding like a merry chirruping noise that caused even the craggy-faced Frank to glance upward in mild annoyance before glancing across the table at Magnus, "Thought you were gonna have that thing fixed?"

"My apologies," Magnus spoke up, "Yes, Captain?"

"Excellency," came the voice of Captain Janice Land as an image appeared in mid-air over the dining room table, "My apologies for interrupting your meal, but I thought that you should know that Agent Lenore has just reported in and wishes to notify Doctor Steinberg about an important development. Shall I put her through?"

"Lenore?" the burly giant sat upright in his seat.

"By all means," Magnus acknowledged, and them a moment later the blonde sub commander's lovely features were replaced by those of a redheaded stranger, a young girl with a long face and ruby colored eyes whose features were remarkably hawk-like, and when she spoke Nabiki could have sworn that she saw fangs showing from her mouth.

"Boss," this scarlet-haired youngster (for Nabiki had trouble believing that the girl could be much older than she herself was) began without preamble, "Gotta big news flash on that case you wanted me to check out. You ready for this?"

"Go ahead," Frank responded.

"Well," the girl licked unusually tinted pink lips and said nervously, "You were right to be concerned, but it's worse than you believe out here. That girl, Kasumi Tendo? Well...guess what? She's a Daywalker, and more than that, a full Master."

Frank swore under his breath before saying, "You're sure about that?"

"Oh yeah," the redhead shuddered, "I spent an hour in her presence and I could feel the power lurking inside her. She doesn't have any idea of what her new potential is, but it's off the scale, probably a hell of a lot stronger even than Dimitri."

"Kasumi?" Nabiki blanched.

"Uh..." the redhead glanced sideways and said, "Hi...whoever you are. Anyway, as I was saying, I talked with Kasumi and...well...she's a pretty nice person, and I got to liking her almost instinctively. I think it's more than the usual glamour a Master Vamp tends to cast on low-level Loire Vamp like me..."

"Vamp?" Akane said with growing disquiet.

"...And, well...it's kinda hard to describe," Lenore continued, "But I felt like I wanted to protect her, y'know, cuddle up in her arms and shield her from the world and all that. Weird. Well, anyway, like I said, we got to talking and I gave her the standard Intro to Vampirism speech 101, when all of a sudden, out of the blue, one of her sisters shows up and...Boss, you're never gonna believe this, but she's a Slayer!"

"Say what?" Frank nearly lurched out of his seat, a gesture that Nabiki came close to copying as she stared in stunned disbelief at the holographic image.

"Yeah, my thoughts exactly," Lenore replied, "A novice Vamp living in the same house with a neophyte Slayer, I mean, what are the odds? Of course, being a Daywalker, Kasumi Tendo doesn't evidence many of the negative signs of being a Vamp, but unless Donovan really screwed up this time, all his spell managed to do was sever the link between her and Dimitri. She still needs blood to exist, just not as much as I do, and she's only slightly allergic to garlic, silver and crosses."

"Indeed," Magnus joined in on this conversation, leaning on his elbows as he studied the image of the redheaded vampire, "This is most ominous. And what can you tell us about the Slayer?"

"You mean aside from the cramps and the sudden urge to want to kill me on sight?" Lenore answered, "Not much. I got the heck out of dodge right after she showed up, but I think I did catch her name...Natsuki, Natsami, something like that..."

"Natsume?" Nabiki exchanged a startled glance with Akane.

"Yeah, that's the one," Lenore snapped her fingers, "Don't think she has any idea who and what she is, though, so she must have only just now gone active, lucky me. Must mean another Slayer on some other part of the world just bit it, poor schmuck. Of course this really complicates things to hell for me since you know how these Newbie Slayers can be, all ready to kill anything supernatural on sight and all that..."

"Weird," Frank frowned, "Far as I knew there's only two Slayers currently active in the world, and both of 'em are living in sunny old California. Haven't heard about either of 'em kicking off yet...uh...I mean lately, though you never know with their kinda lifestyle..."

"Hey, well, used to be we only had one of them at a time to have to put up with," Lenore shrugged, "Takes a while to break 'em of the notion that all Vamps are inherently evil, like those Goya Vamps they usually have to deal with. This one may be new to the job, but I get nervous just thinking about being around here, so maybe you'd better assign another agent for this gig..."

"Wish I could," Frank said, "But we're stretched thin as it is, being the season of the Apocalypse and all that. You'll just have to hang tight and do your best to stay out of trouble, and I'll try and get on it myself just as soon as I can get back to the office."

"Okay Boss," Lenore replied, "But there's something else you gotta know. The Princess, remember her?"

The big man blinked, "Miyu?"

"The one and only," Lenore nodded, "Had a run in with her just outside the Tendo compound, and she's definitely gotten interested in this case, meaning she's had her eye on Kasumi probably almost as long as we have. I was...ah..." she coughed politely, "...persuaded to make a little confession to her about what she's so far only suspected, and that could spell real trouble for Kasumi, depending on whether or not the Princess thinks Nerima's big enough for two Masters."

"Oh, wonderful," Frank snorted and rolled his eyes, "This case just keeps getting better and better..."

"Wait a minute," Nabiki shot to her feet this time and rested her knuckles on the table, "Time out! Hold the fort here! What in the hell are you two going on about my sisters?"

"Your...sisters?" Lenore roved her glance to take in Nabiki and the others.

"I'm Tendo Nabiki," she said, "And who the hell are you?"

"Oh...ah...that Tendo Nabiki?" Lenore nervously responded, "Er...right. The one who took Dimitri down with a ki attack...swell. Pleased to meet you."

"Agent Lenore is a Loire Vampire," Magnus calmly explained, "Of a different tribe and nature from the one who attacked your family a while back, Mrs. Saotome."

"Thanks for the heads up, but I already got that," Nabiki growled before frowning at Lenore, "Just what the heck do you mean by saying my sister's a Vampire? And what's a Daywalker anyway?"

"Ah..." Lenore visibly leaned back as though her holographic image was being threatened, "That's...kinda complicated, really. It means she can walk in full sunlight during the day with no ill effects, she's a lot stronger than a normal person and she even breathes...a bit...and she's got the full range of Vampiric abilities with almost none of our weaknesses, other than the standard bloodthirst. Doesn't mean she's changed in any other way, though. She's got a Soul and everything, I mean...it's only the Nosferatu and Goyas who you usually got to look out for..."

"Oneechan...is a vampire?" Ranma asked in softly spoken dismay.

"How horrible," Kodachi spoke up, "That such a genuinely nice person as Kasumi should be accursed in such a manner..."

"Well," Keiko shrugged, "Actually, not all Vamps are pure evil...in fact, most of 'em aren't evil at all. I mean, if they were, then they'd go on a rampage of bloodlust and get hounded to extinction by the mortals, which is why most of them prefer to keep a low profile..."

"How the heck do you know that?" Alison asked.

"Ah...well..." Keiko shrugged, "I've known other vampires. I mean...back when I belonged to Captain Lao, we'd sometimes have business dealings..."

"Business dealings?" Akane blinked, "You've gotta be kidding!"

"What kind of business?" Ryoga asked.

"The kind that is best reserved for another time," Beatrice spoke up, "This is very dire news indeed, and yet I regret to say, not wholly unexpected."

"Say what?" Nabiki rounded upon the silver-haired girl genius.

"I have been observing Kasumi for some time, noting a decided lack of pigmentation and definite signs of anemia," Beatrice explained, "I prescribed for her a formula that I helped devise with Tofu-sensei to keep her condition in check, and I was planning on informing you about this when...um...circumstances prompted me to forget all about it until now. Sorry."

"Sorry?" Nabiki blandly repeated, "You mean you've been watching my older sister start to behave like a vampire and you just neglected to tell me, like you neglected to ask about implanting those nano-probes of your into my body?"

"Hey, back off!" Alison started to rise from her chair when Beatrice laid a restraining hand upon her wife's wrist.

"No, Aiko," Beatrice said sadly, "Nabiki is right to upbraid me. It was thoughtless of me to neglect to inform her at once of my suspicions. I simply did not see the need to intrude upon the happy occasion of your marriage to Ranma-kun and the others, for which I am humbly sorry, my good friend. I fear that I have failed you when I ought to have given you fair warning."

"Well," Nabiki turned away, only partially mollified by this, "Okay, but that doesn't explain why Kasumi turned back into a vampire. I thought your guy was supposed to cure her of that?"

"I thought so too," Frank shrugged, "I don't really understand it. Donovan's one of the most powerful exorcists on the planet. About the only reason I can think of for Kasumi reverting is if she drank some blood while she was under Dimitri's influence..."

"You mean," Ryoga hesitated, "She might have bitten one of us?"

"That's weird," Akane glanced around, "I don't remember getting bitten, do you, Ranma?"

"No," Ranma shrugged, glancing at the other members of their group around the table, "Anybody?"

"Sure can't remember a thing like that happening, Sugar," Ukyo shrugged.

"I would have definitely felt it if I had been the one bitten," Perfume noted.

"Aiyaa," Shampoo said, "This one no remember such a thing, do you, Airen?"

"I'd like to think I'd remember a thing like that," Nabiki shuddered a bit, "I mean, I know that Kasumi's got this weird...well...crush on my male half, but I haven't noticed any strange bite marks on my person...um...at least besides the ones some of you guys have been putting there..."

"Well, don't look at me," Alison folded her arms over her chest, "I got bit once and that was enough, and the only other Vamp in my life is Beiko."

"You say the sweetest things sometimes, Aiko-chan," Beatrice smiled fondly.

"Um...okay," Lenore spoke up once again, "So, anyhow...that's my report, and I just wanted to make sure you heard it from me directly. I'm gonna catch some shut-eye then stop by the Tendo place later, after sunset, to see how Kasumi is doing, and to find out what that Slayer sis of hers is doing. A Slayer and a Master Vamp sharing the same quarters...what's the world coming to, I tell you?"

"Um...well...Natsume is adopted," Akane lamely offered before glancing at Nabiki, who just glanced back before giving a harder look at Lenore, who fidgeted slightly under her regard.

"If anything bad happens to either of my sisters," Nabiki said flatly, "I'm holding you responsible. You got that?"

"Um...sure...no prob," Lenore replied, "Any special requests from you, Boss man?"

"Just keep on your toes and stay alert for anything," Frank directed, "And for the love of Mike, keep away from the Slayer. Last thing I need right now is to have to get you resurrected...again."

"Oh, sure, you know me, Boss," Lenore nervously chuckled, "The original bad penny, keep turning up when you least expect it. Lenore out."

The holographic image faded, then Ranma looked up at his wife and said, "So...what's the call, Nabiki? Do we call the honeymoon short and go back there to find out what's up?"

"You're kidding, right?" Ukyo answered for him, glancing up at Nabiki, "We're going back home ASAP to get to the bottom of this, right, Nab-chan?"

"After all," Perfume said, "Family is family, and we can't let anything bad happen to either Natsume or Kasumi."

"Aiyaa, is true," Shampoo agreed, "Airen, we go back now and find out what happen to sisters."

"You guys," Nabiki smiled fondly at her co-wives and husband, "You're the best Airen any woman could have ever asked for, but there's no reason for the whole gang to go stomping off after me. I'll go on my own and get to the bottom of this whole Vampire business."

"What?" Akane reacted, "No way! We're coming along with you, Oneechan! Kasumi and Natsume are my sisters too, you know!"

"This much is true," Kodachi agreed, "We are more than friends here, we are a family, a team, and if one of us suffers, then all of us are affected."

"Besides, you could use our help if there's anything threatening our friends back home," Ryoga insisted.

"My mind's made up, guys," Nabiki turned to regard them, "You're all great fighters, but this calls more for finesse than firepower. No sense making it a full three-ring circus when we don't have to, and you've all been waiting for this vacation for some time now, and it'd be a shame to have to cancel out our plans for Sydney, at least if we don't have to."

"Oh, that's just great," Ukyo huffed, "How do you expect the rest of us to enjoy ourselves if you're out facing all the danger by yourself? And Ranma-kun won't be any fun for partying if he's worrying himself sick over you..."

"Fine," Nabiki said, "Then I'll take Ranchan with me, but the rest of you are going on a vacation, and that's final."

"Excuse me?" Alison sniffed, "Who died and made you the Boss of all Bosses?"

"No Aiko," Beatrice spoke up, "Nabiki is essentially correct that an operation of this sort is best conducted with tact than with tactical strength. I support her move to limit the scope of this affair to just herself and Saotome-kun. Provided that they can clear matters up in a reasonably short interval, they should be winging their way out to join us within-oh, say, forty-two hours, give or take traffic levels at the airports of Tokyo and New Sydney."

"Forty-two, huh?" Nabiki eyed her silver-haired friend, "How do you calculate that?"

"It might take some time to explain my reasoning," Beatrice replied, "But I feel confident that you will conclude matters within that allotted span. After all, your primary objectives are to see to the condition of your sisters and then investigate who else may be interested in their welfare. Perhaps this 'Princess Miyu' character will prove to have some of the answers you will need, and this Lenore will doubtlessly be of some assistance in that regard. At any rate, a day and a half to conclude your business should prove sufficient, and then you can wing your way back to enjoy the rest of us as we sun ourselves in the luxury of our surroundings."

Keiko glanced at Alison and said, "Is she always like this?"

"Naw," Alison replied, "Usually Beiko's a know-it-all, but for her that was positively Spartan."

"Silver-hair think she clever girl," Shampoo huffed, "But what make you think Shampoo let Airen go into danger without her?"

"Please, Honey," Nabiki laid a gentle hand on her wife's shoulder, "You have to think of our children, Lilac and Fragrance. That's why Ukyo and Perfume aren't going. I need to know that you'll be safe in case we run into that Dimitri guy again, and you know he won't hesitate to use innocents as leverage if he thinks it will give him the advantage over me. Besides, I'll fight better knowing you're all safe, and I'm trusting you to look after my sister and the others."

Shampoo scowled but folded her arms and huffed, "Airen no play fair. Very well, Shampoo do what say, but if Airen get hurt because of this, then Shampoo come get you, then she make Bad man suffer very, very bad things!"

"That may work for your wives, Nabiki," Akane frowned, "But why should I stay behind? They're my sisters too!"

"Yes, but you're pregnant, 'Neechan," Nabiki reasoned, "And Ryoga-kun has to look out for you. The same thing goes for Kodachi and Keiko, while Alison's still recovering from giving birth to her daughter..."

"Ah, but I do detect a flaw in your reasoning, my dear friend," Kodachi smiled, "Our condition is not so advanced that we need be treated with delicacy by our respective loved ones, and Keiko-chan is more than capable of looking after the both of you in our absence. I insist that you bring her along with you as you will need someone capable of watching both of your backsides."

"I'm game," Keiko said brightly, "And you know I won't let anything bad happen to either Nab-chan or Ran-chan."

"Then it is decided?" Magnus nodded, "It would take too long to reverse course and head back towards the Main Islands, but I believe that I can supply alternative transportation for you back to Japan. I trust that you will do the honors, Frank?"

"Try holding me back," the big man replied, "This operation looks like it could use my direct supervision, so I'll chaperone the kids and see they keep their noses out of trouble."

"Um...mind if I ask how we're gonna get there?" Ranma asked.

"We fly, kid," Frank replied, already getting up from his end of the table, his head nearly touching the ceiling, "Gotta problem with that?"

"Um...no..." Ranma reluctantly responded.

"Okay then," Nabiki said, nodding to Keiko, "Just watch your own back, and remember, these guys have a thirst for necking."

"So I'll play coy and let them think I'm the jail-bait," Keiko winked, "I'm game, and I've got a better idea what we're going up against than you two."

"One moment before you leave," Beatrice handed Alison their sleeping baby then stood up and said, "Be mindful that there is a spell cast upon you that has temporarily neutralized your Jusenkyo curse. Try not to strain it too badly or I doubt even my nanite symbiotes will be able to indefinitely stave off a possible miscarriage. This is your one chance at being a mother, and I would greatly be depressed if all our hard work on that end were to come to nothing..."

"All our hard work?" Nabiki arched and eyebrow, "Seems to me that I'll be doing most of the work in a few months, but...yeah, I hear where you're coming from, Beiko-chan. I'll try and remember that, even if I'm still sore about you knocking me up with Ranma's kid without asking my permission."

"Hey, been there and done that," Alison shrugged while baring a breast for her softly mewing infant, "And maybe the ends don't justify being mean, but I can't argue with the results, ain't that right, you little nipper?"

"Okay then," Frank nodded to Magnus, "Have the crew get the shuttle ready. We launch immediately and should be in Japan in about an hour."

"In which case I may have to adjust my calculations," Beatrice noted, "But good luck to you all, and good hunting."

"And stay out of trouble if you can manage it, Nabchan," Ukyo urged, "Take care of Ranchan or I'll come after the both of you with a spatula."

"Take care of Fragrance and Lylac while we're out hunting monsters," Ranma urged, raising one arm and showing the ever-flowing tattoos that signified his pact with two powerful elementals, "Don't worry about us, though...somebody tries to hurt Nabchan and I'll have Latisha fry him."

"Be mindful that certain types of Vampires can also be affected by moving water, young Sir," Magnus cautioned as the three teenagers filed out after the burly Frank, "But it is your mind which is the sharpest of all weapons when dealing with the supernatural. Remember that bit of advice and it will serve you well."

"Um...thanks, Sir," Ranma bowed before taking his leave.

Once in the corridor heading for the stairwell Nabiki turned to Frank and said, "Quite a Boss you got there. Almost felt like kissing his ring hand or something..."

"He ain't my Boss," Frank replied, "But I know what you mean. Magnus is kind of like a Godfather of the Elemental and Supernatural beings who work with our organization, but you get used to his Brando act after a while."

"And what organization do you belong to, Big Stuff?" Keiko cheerfully asked.

"Darkstalkers Incorporated, of course," the craggy giant replied, "A subsidiary of my larger organization. Delphi ain't one group, you see, it's kind of more like an alliance of interconnected and loosely related interests that jointly stand united in defending the freedom and self-determination of all terrestrial self-aware beings. That naturally includes those whom society might deem Misfits, Monsters or Beasts, anyone who just wants to live and let live without bothering anybody. I'm kind of like the president of the outfit by default since most Darkstalkers don't believe in any hierarchical structure."

"That's interesting to know," Nabiki said, "A Monster to defend the interests of other Monsters, and opposing the other kind of Monster, the ones who deserve to be called that."

"You got it," Frank nodded, arriving at a special area that had warning signs and visual symbols that one might suppose to be of an instructive nature, "Here we are at the shuttle bay. Prepare to climb aboard and strap in because the shuttle's not equipped as a luxury flight. It's designed to get you there and back with a minimum of fuss and feathers, and without raising too much unwanted attention."

"And who's going to be the pilot for our flight?" Ranma asked.

"You're looking at him," Frank replied as he pressed a hand to a grid and watched as a sealed hatch hissed open, admitting them into a chamber that was partially submerged, and resting in a cradle was an object that looked roughly like a manta ray, large enough to be a flying craft of some sort, but certainly small enough that it deserved the word, "compact."

"We're going in that?" even Keiko was dubious about the size of the sleek-looking craft.

"Looks ain't everything, Kid," Frank replied as he walked out onto one wing of the craft then knelt down, then touched a panel and caused a hatch to hiss open, revealing the interior cabin, "Step lively and strap in because the take-off's gonna have a kick to it 'cause we'll be fired out of a launch tube by a rail gun to get the lift-speed we'll need with this much payload."

"Rail gun?" Nabiki asked dubiously, "Just how fast does this thing go anyway?"

"In atmosphere, around Mach two or three," Frank replied as he waved to the seats at the middle and rear of the snug-looking cabin, "More than that when it hits sub-orbital, but we won't be traveling that far, just a couple thousand nautical miles. We ought to be over Tokyo before you know it."

"Whoah," Ranma said as he stepped into the cabin and picked a seat in the middle, followed closely by Nabiki, "This thing almost looks like some kind of a space ship..."

"You mean a flying saucer?" Keiko quipped.

"More like a flying half-moon," Nabiki said as she studied the seat a moment before sitting down and strapping herself in with a harness, then watched as the giant Frank took the front seat, then closed the hatch and began pre-flight operations, activating the controls and firing up the engines.

"This is Legion," Frank spoke into a headset that he slipped on as he placed one beefy hand over the joy-stick, "All systems green, awaiting the go to launch. Give me the go just as soon as we surface."

"Launch?" Ranma asked, only to start as they felt the shuttle begin to rise up on elevated platforms, rising out of the water altogether as a tunnel opened up before them with running lights tracing a corridor that opened out for what looked to be a hundred meters before curving upwards.

"Uh oh," Keiko averred, "I just remembered, I'm allergic to flying!"

"Now you think of that?" Nabiki asked as she gripped the arms to her chair and leaned her neck against the headrest.

"Just remember," Frank warned, "You lose your lunch, you clean it up. There's a bag to the side if you need it."

"Thank you," Keiko replied as she hastily fetched one, then unfolded it and got it ready.

Ranma noticed just then that the lights in the tunnel were coming on like concentric rings strobing slowly until they were almost at the front of their ship, and he asked, "What're are they doing...?"

The next thing he knew Frank depressed a stud and pressed the joystick forward, and all at once their sleek black craft lurched forward, shooting down the tunnel with increasing velocity as Nabiki and the others instinctively held on for dear life as the G-forces kicked in and they shot out the end of the tube into blue sky that opened up before them, the sudden splash of sunlight dazzling their eyes as they shot like an arrow into the heavens...

Continued

Comments/Criticisms/Airfreight Rates for Flying Discs: Shadowmane@msn.com