Project A-Ko Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki 1/2 (A Very Scary Thought) ❯ I Get a Kick out of You... ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Nabiki 1/2

(A Very Scary Thought)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Based Upon the Altered Destinies Storyline

Inspired by the works of such fans as

Wade Tritshler

Richard Lawson

James Jones

And Many Others

Standard Disclaimer: This is inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and is not my original creation. All characters belong to her. This is only a fanfictional work, and is not intended to compromise the rights of the original owners, distributors and publishers of the Ranma series. I have no money to spare and would very much appreciate if no one tries to sue me.

Kasumi answered the polite knock on the door and found a redheaded girl standing on the veranda, smiling up at her with a rather bright and cheerful expression.

The girl had her long hair bound up in a pigtail that extended all the way down her back to about waist level. She was wearing a pair of jogging shorts, had a thin T-shirt on and was sporting a backpack. She had a pair of padded Karate-style gloves and foot protectors on over a pair of leg-warmers, but was otherwise barefoot, giving her the appearance of a tomboy, even though she was actually quite an attractive woman of mixed Asian and Occidental ancestry. Her bright green eyes seemed to take Kasumi in with a speculative study that for some odd reason made Kasumi blush a little, feeling oddly complimented. In style and behavior she reminded one quite a bit of Nabiki.

When she spoke it was in perfect Japanese, showing greater manners than one might expect from such a non-traditional looking lady, "Pardon me for bothering you, lady, but I was wondering if you could tell me if this is the Tendo Training Hall of Nerima?"

Kasumi wondered how the girl had failed to read the placard on the wall outside their walkway. She further wondered if this might be one of Nabiki's fellow students. She certainly did look the same age and build, and in spite of her Occidental looks she was clearly no foreigner, so Kasumi decided there was no harm in giving her a truthful answer.

"Hai, this is the Tendo Dojo. I am Tendo Kasumi, would you care to come inside?"

"Thank you," the girl bowed to Kasumi, still smiling, "I would enjoy your hospitality, but I have something urgent that I must first settle. Is one named Tendo Nabiki in residence here?"

"Oh, you mean my sister," Kasumi smiled, "You must be one of her fellow classmates."

"More like an old friend from another school we both attended together," the girl replied, bowing once more as she added, "I'm Arigami Keiko. Would you be so kind as to ask Nabiki to step outside so that we can…get reacquainted?"

"Nabiki isn't home right now," Kasumi replied, "She and my other sister went with Ranma to the Kuno Mansion. They may not be back for some time."

"Who's Ranma?" Keiko asked with a slightly puzzled expression.

"Ranma is Nabiki's iinazuke," Kasumi replied, "He lives here with his father and mother…"

"Iinazuke?" Keiko raised both eyebrows, then murmured to herself, "So Nabiki-chan goes both ways, eh? Very interesting…"

"Are you sure you wouldn't like to come inside and wait for them to get back, Keiko-san?" Kasumi asked her, "I can make tea and serve you some rice cakes…"

"Your offer is most generous and would please me greatly," Keiko bowed to her again, "I would like nothing better than to share the company of a beautiful lady, such as yourself, but I'd first like to find Nabiki-chan. I was so looking forward to getting reacquainted. Could you please tell me how to find this Kuno mansion?"

"Certainly," Kasumi replied, and gave the girl a set of simple directions.

"You are most kind to a humble stranger, such as myself," the girl smiled as she bowed for the fourth time since making her introductions, "Nabiki-chan is indeed fortunate to have such an intelligent, beautiful and charming sibling as yourself. I hope I may stop by later and take you up on your considerate offer."

She turned to leave and Kasumi watched her with a curious expression. There was something vaguely odd about that girl, but she couldn't put her finger on it. She shrugged and closed the door, deciding it couldn't be anything important.

Outside the walls of the Tendo estate a stray cat stopped and looked at the redheaded human walking across its path. The animal backed away, hissing, then turned around and ran with its tail between its legs, almost as if it were afraid of being eaten by the canary…

"Here we are, Ranma," Nabiki said as she studied the huge gates to an estate that looked half again the size of Nerima, "Sure you're ready for this?"

"I told you before, Nabiki," Ranma said levelly, "I've got to work this out with Kuno or I'm never gonna feel good about it. He thinks I stole you deliberately, and I just can't stand having him think that about me."

"Good luck," Akane snorted, "You've as much of a chance of talking sense to that thick-witted block head as you would to these walls. He's in his own little world, and he twists everything to suit his needs. You're better off without him."

"I don't think so," Ranma sighed, "We've known each other for six years, and that's a chunk of my life I just can't walk away from. I have to get this settled once and for all before I can make that kind of decision. I've never run from anything in my life, and I'm not about to."

"Good sentiments, Ranma-kun," Nabiki smiled, "But sometimes fate doesn't give you much of a choice. Running away may not be brave and noble, but sometimes it's the smartest thing to do."

"Guess I'm not that smart, then," Ranma snorted.

"Hah!" Akane seconded, "I could have told you that!"

"So," Nabiki asked after a few more seconds elapsed in which nobody did anything, "Are we going in there or not?"

"Just be patient, Nabiki-chan," Ranma said, "It takes a minute for him to…"

"Master Ranma! Mistress Akane!" said a little man wearing the clothing of a Ninja, who dropped out from concealment among the vines covering the walls of the estate, "You were not expected! It is…very good to see you…"

"Tell Kuno we've come to talk, Sasuke," Ranma said, then hesitated before saying, "Is Kodachi…?"

"The Mistress is in residence," Sasuke bowed even lower as he said this, and seemed to shudder slightly, "She will see you when and if it is pleasing."

"Good," Ranma said, squaring his shoulders as if bracing himself for more than simple combat. Nabiki looked at him curiously, then decided she very much wanted the chance to meet this Kodachi person that could so affect her iinazuke.

The compound gates swung open almost silently as Sasuke withdrew, disappearing into the vines from whence he had appeared. Akane and Ranma started forward, Nabiki falling into step between them. They got only ten paces, however, before Nabiki's well-honed Combat senses warned her of an impending attack.

"Tendo Nabiki--PREPARE TO DIE!"

Nabiki reflexively brought her hands up and caught the tip of the shiinai that had been descending upon her, stopping in mid-motion the black haired girl in the leotard who clutched the other end, bobbing slightly as her feet failed to touch the ground. Nabiki heaved the bamboo practice sword upwards and threw the girl over her head, like cracking a bullwhip. The other girl merely tumbled in mid-air and landed gracefully, pirouetting in place as she turned a seductive look their way, clutching a black rose between her teeth and somehow doing it while smiling.

She took the rose from her lips and tossed it at Nabiki, who easily caught it despite the speed with which it had been thrown. Something in the girls mannerism very much reminded her of Kuno Tatawaki, leaving no doubt in her mind that this girl was his notorious sister.

"You are indeed formidable," she smiled, "I take it you are the new girl to whom my idiot brother has taken a fancy?"

"Kodachi," Akane growled in exasperation, "Is that any way to greet people for the first time? This is my older sister, Tendo Nabiki."

"Tendo Nabiki," Kodachi studied her the way a cat might study its prospective prey, and something about that made Nabiki cringe a little, though she knew it was just an impression, "You are a very pretty young thing, for a peasant. I understand that you possess some skill as a fighter?"

"I know a few things," Nabiki replied, "They call you Black Rose Kodachi, am I right?"

"The very same," Kodachi's smile deepened, then she bowed in an Occidental manner rather than traditional Japanese, one hand extended for added flourish, "Captain of Saint Hebereke School for Young Girls Rhythmic Gymnastics Martial Arts Team, at your service."

No doubt about it, Nabiki decided, this girl and the other Kuno were definitely related!

"Tendo Nabiki," she bowed more traditionally, rather than copy Kodachi's Western-style manners, then when she straightened up she said, "Rhythmic Gymnastics Martial Arts?"

"My specialty," Kodachi grinned, producing a long pink ribbon on the end of a stick, which she proceeded to twirl about her like a coiling serpent, somehow producing a flurry of black rose petals as she spun it near hypnotically. She leaped into the air and gave the most peculiar laugh Nabiki had ever heard, "HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOH!" then alighted in the tree she snagged with the end of her Ribbon, having swung up as though doing an impersonation of a female Tarzan.

"Kodachi," Ranma sighed as he watched her scamper up the branches and vault to another tree, which made Nabiki look at him somewhat irritably. Was this the type of girl Ranma was interested in? If so it did not say very much that was good about him…

"This way, Master Ranma, Mistresses Tendo," Sasuke said as he appeared once again, "Master Kuno will see you out in back where he is practicing his technique. He seems very eager to see all three of you at once."

"Not a good sign," Akane grumbled to herself, "And I really wanted to talk with Kodachi…"

They found Kuno standing solemnly as he regarded a pair of practice dummies set up amid a very expensive looking garden. Kuno did not acknowledge them, so intent as he was upon his prospective targets, one of which had a black wig and was dressed in a school uniform, the other one having a brown wig with a ponytail and wearing a red Chinese-style set of clothing.

Nabiki reflexively studied Kuno's posture, his body position, the set and erect way that he stood with wooden sword raised, like a Samurai about to charge a mortal enemy in combat. She could sense the power, self-control, and intense focus of his will as he summoned his Ki energy in preparation of his attack. He seemed in perfect control of every aspect of his being, at least so far as could be determined on the surface. His style was flawless, lacking even a trace of hesitation or weakness, so relaxed and ready that hardly a hair seemed out of place. He almost seemed to merge with his environment, becoming one with nature in the instant before he launched into action.

Thap-thap! Like a blurring wind he struck, two swift strikes perfectly timed, landing well beyond his targets and remaining motionless, his blade held at the ready as he crouched low, not moving. Very slowly he stood up again, not even bothering to turn around until both dummies began to collapse, each teetering over, sliced through at diagonal angles.

Kuno registered not a trace of emotion as he surveyed his own handiwork, but then he spotted his audience and at once his face beamed broadly in triumph.

"Ah, Saotome! The fair sisters Tendo! So good of you to stop by to witness my little performance."

"Look Kuno," Ranma began, having practiced his speech for the better part of the week that he and Nabiki had been in practice for this occasion.

Kuno raised one hand and said, "Know, Saotome, that I have decided to overlook your little breach of etiquette and will forgive you for your transgressions against me. A noble warrior must have the heart of a lion and the mercy of an eagle."

"Huh?" Ranma said, taken entirely back by that statement, "You do?"

"Something has been gnawing at my conscience for the better part of a week while you seem to have been avoiding me, which is most unlike you," Kuno replied, "You are many things, Saotome Ranma, but I could never believe you to be a base coward. You would have surely faced me again, no matter the consequences of a rematch, unless some other force was influencing your decisions. Therefore I have determined that the true party of deception in all of this was that base pretender claiming to defend yon Tendo Nabiki's tender virtue, the foul enchanter who calls himself Tendo Kaneda!"

"Kaneda?" Ranma blinked, unable to quite get his mind around this turn around in the behavior of his friend.

"I had my faithful Sasuke do a background search for knowledge of the members of the Tendo household," Kuno elaborated, "There is indeed one named Tendo Kaneda registered in the city of Kyoto, but as near as can be determined he yet lives there to this day, and his photograph does not match that of the fellow who has been imposing himself in our affairs. I at once suspected foul deception, and have discovered through contemplation over this issue that the one named Kaneda is some kind of base magician."

"Magician?" Nabiki asked, exchanging puzzled looks with Akane.

"How else to explain his mysterious ability to come and disappear like the wind?" Kuno replied, "He always thrusts himself unexpectedly to challenge me, and the ease with which I have been disarmed implies that no natural art was employed to this end. Only a foul Enchanter of the blackest order could overcome the great Tatawaki Kuno with so little effort! That he only seems to appear when one of you is involved in some manner suggests that he has an interest in you three, which leads me to suspect that his enchantment is great and has ensnared you all in his evil power."

"That's the lamest excuse for a…" Akane started to protest, but Nabiki motioned her silence. She was studying Kuno more carefully, trying to decide if the man were as crazy as he sounded, or was there some form of twisted genius to his self-delusion.

Ranma was just staring without commentary as Kuno rambled on, "Oh, I know how hard it must be in this modern day and age of science to credit the workings of such unnatural things as Sorcery and Magic. Who could believe in the power of Spells and Curses in this age of technological wonders? Yet I assure you that there are indeed things within the Heavens and Earth that are beyond mortal comprehension. Do not take lightly my warning, I firmly do believe that this Kaneda is like some demon from the darkest pit of the Netherworld come to claim such innocent souls as may be tempted by his influence."

"What?" Nabiki sniffed, "You mean like Urotsukudoji? Hey, Ranma-kun, do you think Kaneda would sport tentacles and molest innocent young virgins?"

"Hah?" Ranma blinked, and Nabiki was unable to tell if he was shy or just did not get the reference.

"Fear not, my friends," Kuno said as he approached them, laying a comradely hand upon the shoulder of the still confused Ranma, "Your fate is not yet sealed, not while I yet draw breath. Know, friend Ranma, beauteous Akane, virtuous Nabiki, that you still have a champion in Kuno Tatawaki. I will persevere until I have unmasked this coward and brought him low, and then I will force the fiend to free you of your ensnarement. Until then I will not contest the arrangement of your parents. You may remain iinazuke, if only to protect Nabiki-chan from any base accusations that may be spuriously laid against her for having acknowledged such an Oni for her cousin. It will also serve to discourage other misguided youths from attempting to court her until I can step forward to assert my claim. Therefore, until this matter is resolved, I have decided to call off the morning courtship ritual since Kaneda seems willing to use even that to further his deceptions."

"Wha…why you arrogant, conceited, pompous--MMPPHH!" Akane was about elaborate when Nabiki clamped a hand over her mouth, smiling pleasantly as she said, "Kuno-baby, you are one in ten million."

"This I most sadly know," Kuno smiled as he turned away, holding up a rose that he must have been hiding under his jacket, then he sniffed it, "'Tis a burden I must labor under, being kind and virtuous, but that is the lot of a true born hero. In truth I have missed the company of Saotome Ranma, who can be quite amusing in odd ways, in spite of his lowly origins…"

"I…" Ranma was torn between feeling gratitude for Kuno and wanting to bash his head in, but Nabiki's hand on his shoulder restrained him from saying anything. In a way he was glad Kuno was willing to call off their feud, but at the same time he felt dissatisfaction at letting the matter drop the way it had. He still owed Kuno a pounding for humiliating him in front of the entire schoolyard.

"Well then," Nabiki said smoothly, "If we're all friends here, maybe you wouldn't mind showing me around the place, Tatawaki-kun. It looks pretty impressive, and I'd bet we'd get lost without a tour guide."

"Indeed, the dimensions of the Kuno estate are boundless and vast," Kuno replied as he turned to her and threw the rose her way, only to frown slightly when it was intercepted by Ranma.

"You're not kidding," Akane sniffed, still looking sourly at Kuno, "I've gotten lost here a couple of time myself, and that was with Kodachi!"

"My twisted sister has her strange concept of amusement," Kuno noted, "Playing games with you like that is her way of delaying the time you two must spend together. I know, however, that she does deeply value your friendship. You are the only girl she knows who is not afraid of her little… eccentricities."

"You mean the potions and the plants and that crocodile she calls Mister Turtle?" Akane sniffed, "Yeah, well, we all have some quirks."

"It means a great deal to her that you spend such time coaching her away from the dark corners that eat at her heart and soul," Kuno replied, "Perhaps she will be able to use her arts to assist you in overcoming the field who would use base means to win your affections."

"Yeah, whatever," Akane growled, looking as if she, too, were debating whether or not to pound him.

Just then the sound of something being pounded reverberated across the gardens, and Kuno himself looked up in annoyance before saying, "Sasuke?"

"Yes, Master Kuno?" the man said as he appeared from concealment.

"Go see what is making that infernal racket," Kuno commanded as the pounding grew louder.

"At once, Master Kuno," the little man replied, when the task became greatly simplified as the wall behind him suddenly exploded outward. One fragment struck Sasuke in the back of the head and knocked him out cold. Other fragments and dust flew in all directions before clearing enough to reveal a large hole that had been created in the brickwork.

A figure appeared in that gap, that of a lovely redheaded woman with leg raised in kickboxing fashion. She retracted that shapely leg and assumed an easy stance before stepping into full view through the entrance she had just made. Her friendly smile belied her appearance as she scanned everyone in the garden before turning and saying, "Hello, Nabiki-chan. Long time no see."

"Keiko-san?" Nabiki whispered, then swallowed, making both Ranma and Akane look at her in surprise, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm hurt," the girl named Keiko replied, "Don't you remember? It's exactly one year to the day. I issued a challenge, now I'm here to reclaim my title."

"Title?" Akane asked, looking at the stranger.

"Whoever you are," Kuno said as he raised his sword in a threatening manner, "You have invaded my sanctum, destroyed property, and have injured a faithful manservant. I must ask you to leave now or face the wrath of Kuno Tatawaki, the Blue Thunder of Furinkan High School!"

"Charmed," the redhead smiled, bowing to him before assuming a formal crouch, "Arigami Keiko, at your service, Kickboxing Champion of the Mu Tai, Junior Division, three seasons running, and I'm here for my rematch against the woman who stole it from me."

"Mu Tai?" Ranma turned a questioning look to Nabiki, "You studied Kickboxing?"

"Only for a season," Nabiki replied with a nervous shrug, "It was during my Hong Kong phase, and I needed to raise some capital in a hurry."

"Hope it was worth it," Keiko replied, bobbing up and down with her arms raised as she hopped from one foot to the other, circling as Kuno prepared to charge her, "Because it's time for a little payback!"

"You are fair to look upon, and your Japanese is excellent," Kuno remarked evenly without a trace of emotion, "Perhaps if the fates are kind I will spare your life that I might date with you on some other occasion."

"Thanks, but you're not my type," Keiko smiled, then as Kuno came on in a rush she stopped moving around and held her ground. Her leg shot out with the speed of a striking cobra and met the bokkem mid-way. Hard rosewood snapped like kindling as Kuno staggered beyond her, clutching only a stump of his weapon.

Kuno slowly turned around to look at her, then collapsed, his face bearing the clear mark of one of Keiko's footprints. She smiled as she turned away and said, "He'll be all right, just have one nasty little old headache. Now, where were we before Lord Running Mouth tried interrupting?"

"She's good," Akane said tonelessly.

"You don't know the half of it," Nabiki remarked, actually sounding nervous.

"Hey you!" Ranma declared, "I know he can be a real jerk sometimes, but that's my best friend you just pounded!"

"Maybe you should reconsider your choice in friends," Keiko smiled as she casually strode up to them and looked Ranma over, "So…you're the guy Nabiki's got engaged to. Not bad, I suppose, if you're into dating younger men."

"Hey!" Ranma started to protest when the telltale hiss of a ribbon sliced the air and Keiko suddenly dodged to the right, snatching one end as it tried to strike her.

"You!" Kodachi cried as she charged from the house at a full gait, wielding a spiked club in both hands, "You hurt my brother! DIE!"

"Protective sort, aren't you?" Keiko smiled as she allowed Kodachi to get close to her, then knocked the weapon out of her hand and spun Kodachi around, catching her by both wrists from behind and twisting both arms with enough force to drive Kodachi to her knees as Keiko stood directly behind her.

"Not too bad," Keiko noted, "You've got classy looks, but something tells me you're even more trouble than your poetry-spouting brother."

"Unhand me you--peasant!" Kodachi protested.

"All right, if that's what you want, fine by me," Keiko smiled, and then the palm of one hand struck Kodachi at the base of the neck and she collapsed into dreamland, the same as her brother.

"Kodachi!" Ranma cried, "Hey you--!"

"Want to try your luck with me, sport?" Keiko asked with a cocky tilt of her head, "You look like you'd be fun for a tumble, though that's probably more Nabiki's thing than with me."

"I-I…" Ranma hesitated, fists clenched, body shaking, but slowly he subsided, "I don't hit women…"

"Baka," Akane softly whispered.

"Too bad," Keiko smiled, "I'm not exactly fragile."

"Keiko-san," Nabiki said more firmly than before, "If you're fight is with me, don't take it out on poor Ranma-kun."

"Then you promise not to run away this time?" Keiko asked.

"I didn't run away from you last time," Nabiki responded.

"No," Keiko said with an odd tone in her voice and an even more curious expression, "But you have been avoiding me. I followed you into Mainland China, but you and the old man skipped out on my last challenge."

"I wasn't avoiding you!" Nabiki protested, "I had…several other people on my tail. What, do you think you've got an exclusive claim against me or something?"

"Maybe not," Keiko said as she assumed a fighting crouch, "But that's about to change."

Nabiki sighed, "Ranma, Akane, don't get in our way. This is between Arigami-san and me, some of the unfinished business I thought I'd left behind in China."

"I'll say it is," Keiko sniffed, "Bet you haven't even told your boyfriend over there about what really went on in China. Even I don't have the full entire story."

"And that's just how it's going to remain," Nabiki said as she circled around and put some distance between herself, Ranma and Akane, "But I can't believe you followed me all this way just to issue another challenge."

"Hey, you think it was easy for a girl to win a Mu Tai title in that place?" Keiko asked, slowly bouncing on her feet like before, "I've trained most of my life to be this good, and you took it all away in an instant. Worse than that, you stole something else that belongs to me, something that means more to me than all the pain, suffering and humiliation I've had to endure trying to get it back!"

"What?" Nabiki blinked, maintaining her defensive posture as she slowly circled around Keiko, searching for an opening, "Look, if it's about the money…"

"What money?" Keiko scoffed, "You think I'm as obsessed as you with material possessions? No, you dummy, I'm talking about my HEART!"

"NANI???" both Ranma and Akane said together.

Nabiki winced, then sighed, "This is just terrific…"

Continued

Comments/Criticism/Lewd Suggestions: Shadowmane@msn.com