Project A-Ko Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki 1/2 (A Very Scary Thought) ❯ Taking a Tumble... ( Chapter 12 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Nabiki 1/2

(A Very Scary Thought)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Based Upon the Altered Destinies Storyline

Inspired by the works of such fans as

Wade Tritshler

Richard Lawson

James Jones

And Many Others

Standard Disclaimer: This is inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and is not my original creation. All characters belong to her. This is only a fanfictional work, and is not intended to compromise the rights of the original owners, distributors and publishers of the Ranma series. I have no money to spare and would very much appreciate if no one tries to sue me.

"I hate my life," sighed Akane as she staggered into her room, feeling tired and distraught from the day's activities. Her life was becoming so complicated and confusing, and nothing was simple anymore. Though she wanted to do the right thing, the conflict between competing loyalties was intensely frustrating.

Bed looked so inviting now, yet it was on her bed that she had received the bad news that very afternoon.

Nabiki had knocked before entering that time, distracting Akane from her homework, but school was instantly pushed aside when she saw the three girls who followed Nabiki into the room. They were a sorry sight indeed, girls her own age whom she knew as members of the Furinkan Gymnastics team. It had taken only a fraction of a second before Akane made the connection, then she groaned inwardly, knowing what was about to happen.

Nabiki explained that she was wandering home from the market with some goods she had bought for Kasumi when she heard the sounds of an altercation. There she found Kodachi fighting with these three girls, whipping them badly with her ribbon. Nabiki had persuaded her to leave, but not before Kodachi had hurled a veiled challenge her way, promising retribution against the elder Tendo sister for spoiling her "fun" by this interference.

Akane sighed again. Kodachi was always pulling stunts like this, ambushing competitors from rival High Schools, leaving them in no condition to go up against her in Rhythmic Gymnastics Martial Arts competition. It was annoying, really, because Kodachi was very good and did not need to cheat in order to win her battles. She just hated to lose, so she liked to rig the odds more in her favor.

And now they wanted her to take over! Akane! Akane who could barely keep her balance on the uneven parallel bars, whose concept of style was overpowering her opponents and pummeling them into submission. Kodachi had style and grace, pure poetry in motion. Akane had always envied her for having such coordination. Ranma was forever teasing Akane for being clumsy and uncoordinated, while he'd fawn in endless praise of Kodachi. Worse still, Kodachi was her best friend, the one she most liked to hang out with, in spite of their belonging to rival schools, and now she was expected to go up against her in all out combat…and in Kodachi's own field of expertise, no less!

If only she could have turned this distasteful task over to Nabiki. As much as Akane resented her older sister for usurping much else in her life, this was one onerous duty she would have gladly forfeit to her oneechan rather than face it herself. Unfortunately, Nabiki was her Sempei and a Senior, thus not eligible to serve as her alternate.

So Akane had tried her hand at using the tools of rhythmic gymnastics while Nabiki and Ranma had stood to the sidelines making casual observations. Neither one of them was all that familiar with the craft, but that did not keep Ranma from offering rude comments about Akane's first stumbling efforts. In frustration she had tried to treat the ribbons and pins as she would any other sort of Martial Arts weapon and wound up tangling herself up thoroughly in her efforts.

And then the new boy came into the dojo, Ryoga, accompanied by Keiko, and they stood watching as Akane grew angrier and more frustrated. Finally Ryoga called attention to himself and asked Akane if she would permit him to demonstrate the use of the ribbon. Akane had watched in curiosity as Ryoga twirled the thing magically in his hands, then snapped it out like a whip, forcing Ranma to jump out of the way and dance as Ryoga kept flicking the thing at him.

Akane could not help smiling at that, wishing it was her hand that was punishing Ranma for his typical rudeness. Then the realization hit her: Ryoga-kun was offering to train her! She had accepted without hesitation and spent the next two hours listening to his patient coaching on the basics.

Now she was tired and worn out, having just taken a late night bath to soothe out the aches of her tired muscles. Training for a new system was always hard, requiring the mastery of new routines, new types of body motion, and she had thrown herself into this with the intent of making Ranma eat his smug words and rude comments.

All she wanted to do now as catch some sleep so that she would be ready for morning. She flopped down on her bed and lay back, feeling relief at not having to move as she opened her eyes and looked up at the ceiling.

And saw Kodachi hanging over her, pressed between the beams of the roof with a black rose between her lips.

"DIE, TENDO AKANE!" Kodachi cried, letting the rose drop from her lips as she fell atop Akane like a hammer falling down from the ceiling…

"You really shouldn't treat my sister that way, Ranma-kun," Nabiki was chiding as they sat side-by-side on the roof staring up at the stars, "She was trying very hard, and all you could do was sit there and criticize her."

"I know," Ranma replied, "I guess it's mostly force of habit. Akane and me, we'd always tease each other during training, sort of like a pattern you get into and don't know quite how to break. I suppose I should go apologize to her, and she was getting pretty good there by the end."

"Thanks to Ryoga," Nabiki smiled, a bit thoughtful, "He's a better teacher than I would have imagined, but I wonder where he ever learned Rhythmic Gymnastics?"

"I asked him that a little while ago," Ranma looked puzzled, "He said he watched an Olympic team go through a full routine once and thought it looked pretty easy."

"That's it?" Nabiki blinked, "He picked it up just by watching?"

"What's so surprising about that?" Ranma wondered, "I do it all the time. You might have noticed I've even learned a few of your techniques by seeing you fight."

"I've been wondering about that," Nabiki looked at him speculatively, "Ranma-kun…have you ever thought about this…talent you have for learning by observation?"

"I guess it is pretty unusual," Ranma frowned thoughtfully, "But Ryoga seems to have the same ability, so it can't be that uncommon."

"I wouldn't be too sure," Nabiki said quietly, "I've been noticing that there are a lot of things about the two of you that seem pretty much the same. In fact, if I didn't know any better, I'd swear the two of you were brothers."

"Nani?" Ranma looked at her, "No way! I don't have anything in common with that jerk!"

"Other than the fact that you kind of look the same, act the same, have similar tempers and solve all your problems with your fists?" Nabiki idly noted, "All right, granted he does have more than his share of faults, but I wouldn't be too quick to point them out if I were you. Ryoga may be a bit slow-witted and thick, is as strong as an Ox and has fangs that would scare an Orthodontist, but he's fair minded and basically honest, and he has a lot of pride in spite of feeling as though the whole world is out to get him. Add to that the fact that he seems to be a natural Eidetic and the similarities between you two are uncanny."

"You left something out," Ranma said in mild annoyance, "I can at least find my way home. He gets lost just looking for the bathroom."

"Okay, so he has some peculiarities," Nabiki conceded, "I still can't see why you two don't get along better. I mean, even granted the way you started out, he'd make a pretty good ally, and just the kind of sparring partner that you need, seeing as you don't like going all out against women. I also kind of think he's got a thing for Akane."

"Oh?" Ranma said neutrally, "What makes you think that?"

"The way he gets tongue-tied every time he tries to talk to her about something other than training," Nabiki smirked.

"I've noticed he acts that way around you," Ranma looked at her meaningfully, "About the only girl he doesn't get messed up talking to is Keiko, and I'm pretty sure they're not going to be an item."

"You left out Kasumi," Nabiki noted.

"I don't think anyone could ever think rude thoughts about Oneechan," Ranma replied, then sighed, "I sure wish I could figure out why she's been acting so weird around you."

"That makes two of us," Nabiki said with mild exasperation. It had almost become a standard joke around the house, the way Kasumi and water always added up to Nabiki turning into Kaneda. It was as if her older sister liked seeing Nabiki turn into a guy, and that was just too weird to contemplate. Kasumi never did anything besides look and occasionally offer to help dry her down, but it was downright annoying, and sooner or later they were going to have to have a long talk about this.

Nabiki sighed and said, "Try to get along with Ryoga while he looks for a permanent place to stay, Ranma-kun, and please think before you say anything mean to Akane? That's all I'm asking."

"I'll try," Ranma promised.

"Good," she said, reaching over to pat him on the knee, almost like a friendly gesture, but her hand lingered there for a second before withdrawing. She stood up and said, "I think Akane-chan's had time enough to get done with her bath. Now it's my turn. See you in the morning?"

"Sure thing, Nabiki-chan," Ranma replied, watching her withdraw before heaving a sigh of quiet depression.

Since their exchanging kisses several days before they had not taken any further actions or spoken about the matter as if by mutual consent and evasion. It was a touchy area for them both, he knew, and things were happening much too quickly for either of them to be comfortable about the matter. Still…at times such as these he wished he knew what to do to take things another step forward. He wanted Nabiki to spend more time with him, to just sit like this and be friends, not feel compelled to do anything funny or weird. They were iinazuke, but each of them needed more time to grow comfortable about being around one another, and there was still too much neither of them understood. After all they were very different people.

Nabiki had spent much of the last few days just walking about the campus talking to people and generally socializing. Ranma had followed her at a discrete distance, watching and observing her in operation. He was curious about what she was doing hanging around with some of the less savory people in Nerima, brushing shoulders with the dark underbelly that existed in every High School. Nabiki had seemed very interested in learning everything that she could about the habits and social patterns of the Furinkan student body. He had yet to decide if this were a good or bad thing and he felt uneasy about her intentions. She had hinted at having a shady past, and it worried him that his iinazuke might be getting involved with the wrong sorts of people.

He heaved another sigh. The way he was obsessing about her, you'd think he was in lo…um… interested in her for more than friendly reasons…

"Ranma, my boy," Genma's voice startled him, the more so as he could not quite believe that someone as heavy set as his father could walk on the roof without making considerable noise, "You need to stop dragging your tongue on the floor and start acting like a man. I wish more than ever that I had raised you to know that a man has to take charge of a relationship. You won't get very far if you just sit around waiting for things to happen."

"I know, Father," Ranma swallowed, "I'm just…waiting for the right time is all. I don't want her to get any weird ideas about me…"

"Ranma," Genma growled, then paused to adjust his glasses before speaking again, "I know I haven't been there for you when you needed me, boy, but I'm here now, and what I'm about to say comes from a father's heart. You must treat your engagement as you would any other type of battle. Show courage and be brave, don't wither in fear of your opponent. Show her dignity and respect before you engage her in the subtle nuances of Martial Arts Foreplay."

"Foreplay?" Ranma blinked, "I just want to make Nabiki like me, Dad, not pummel her into submission."

"You wouldn't get far if you tried," Genma sniffed, "Trust me on this. But what I mean is that you should look at this situation as if you were mastering a different kind of technique, one where the stakes are not physical conquest so much as emotional engagement. Get used to thinking with your heart, not your head or your stomach…"

"You're a fine one to talk," Ranma smiled, then winced, half expecting to be cuffed for the rude suggestion.

Instead what he heard was a soft chuckle, "Maybe, but if I've learned anything from Nodoka, it's that a man who waits for a woman to make the first move has already forfeit the battle. Nabiki wants to be courted, she wants to know how you feel about her, and she needs a demonstration of your concern for her welfare. Above all else, she wants you to show her that you care about her feelings. Give her just enough of a clue that you are interested and she will concede the field to you and follow you with utter devotion. Therefore I make the suggestion that you do what other men do when they want to enter this stage of a relationship: Ask her to go out with you on a date."

"A date?" Ranma had not intended his voice to pitch up an octave, "Nani?"

"Is there something wrong with that, my boy?" Genma wondered, enjoying Ranma's startled reaction.

"I…ah, no…uh…it's just…" Ranma swallowed, "I, um…haven't got any money, so…"

"I have already talked to Tendo-kun," Genma replied, "He is agreeable to making a loan so that you can treat Nabiki out in reasonable style and comfort."

"Uh…how much?" Ranma swallowed.

"Five thousand yen should be adequate," Genma said, "Nabiki doesn't expect you to play the part of high roller, and she would not respect you pretending to be something you are not. She has known men of money and influence who have courted her, expecting to win her favors, but always she has been the one who came away the victor. She never gives anything without expecting something in return. That is why a considerate act with nothing asked of her but her companionship will have such a powerful affect on her. The one thing Nabiki-chan cannot resist is an act of true kindness."

"Uh…you really think so?" Ranma blinked, then said, "I don't know…I mean…if she's used to guys who have money to burn, I don't see how she could have a good time on five thousand yen…"

"She will feel like royalty simply because you are the one who asked her," Genma replied, "Just be yourself with no pretensions, don't even try to do anything to impress her. Let things happen naturally, and then you will learn the nature of her true feelings."

"I'll…think about it, Otosan," Ranma sighed, "Thank you."

"Not at all, boy," Genma replied, "Think of it as the duty of any father to look out for his only son's future happiness. You can always count on your father to be there when you truly need him."

Unseen by either man a figure crouched in shadow narrowed her eyes and studied them, not able to completely make out the barbarian words but thinking darkly to herself that matters were not as she would like. She silently withdrew, having much to think about and wishing to do it in seclusion…

Keiko stopped by Akane's room, wanting to ask her something personal but being rather unsure about how exactly to phrase her question. She, too, had noticed how Ryoga seemed to be developing an interest in Akane, and seeing how he was an old school chum, Keiko was naturally curious whether Akane felt the same way or maybe if Ryoga-kun might be setting himself up for real trouble. After all, Akane was always making loud proclamation of the fact that she did not like boys her own age…

And then, just as she was about to knock, she heard the shouted words, "DIE, TENDO AKANE!"

Keiko wasted no time opening the door and staring at the sight of Akane grappling with the black haired Kodachi, the latter appearing to have lain in ambush for the youngest Tendo daughter. Had she been looking closer she would have seen that the smiles both girls were wearing was anything but antagonistic. What she saw was a younger girl being attacked by someone about whom they had been hearing nothing but bad news all day, so her reaction was instinctive and immediate.

She cried out, "Get away from her!" and instantly kicked Kodachi right out the window!

Akane gasped, looking up in astonishment as Kodachi went crashing head-first through the glass pane, then she stared in dismay at Keiko, who was asking, "Are you all right, Akane-chan? Did she hurt you?"

"You…BAKA!" Akane was up out of her bed and to the window in a flash, staring out into the night as she cried out, "Kodachi…!"

Meanwhile, directly downstairs, Kasumi was busy cleaning the kitchen for the night when she saw Nabiki passing her by heading for the downstairs bathroom. Mischievous impulse took over and a glass of water appeared in one hand as she spun about and hurled it at Nabiki, who naturally sputtered in surprise and turned male. Kasumi was, of course, at once contrite, sincerely embarrassed about the strange impulse that caused her to continually do this thing, but unable to help admiring the manly curves of her transformed sibling.

"Kasumi!" Nabiki spun about to protest when she heard the sound of glass exploding upstairs. She turned to see an object falling towards the ground, and without knowing who that person was she took off at a run, arriving just in time to see Kodachi land with a splash in the Koi pond.

Wasting no time, and for once not having to worry about getting wet, she jumped into the pond, disturbing the carp that had been trying to enjoy a good nocturnal swim, and fished Kodachi out of the water. Kodachi was only semi-conscious and had a number of cuts and bruises, but otherwise no worse for wear…except for the fact that she appeared to have swallowed some water.

Well, no problem then. Nabiki knew her first aid well enough to handle a small matter such as this. He turned Kodachi over and applied gentle pressure to help her cough up the water, then bent down and used mouth-to-mouth technique to insure Kodachi's lungs would be reasonably well inflated (a wry joke passed through her mind, but she chalked it up to the masculine influence of her--or rather HIS--body, thinking of how curvy Kodachi was for a girl her age). Kodachi finally managed to sputter and cough and revive on her own, opening her eyes to see the man bending over her, and for a moment her expression became one of intense focus.

"Are you all right, Kuno-san?" she asked, thinking the girl would need some bandages and disinfectant.

Kodachi just looked up at him…or rather at HIM--the most gorgeous male specimen she had ever personally met in her short life. The man was handsome, masculine with a solid, compact body and the sort of quasi-Hermaphrodite looks that one usually only read about in romance Manga (not that she would ever have confessed to reading such low-bred trash--but she did like to look at the pictures). She had never personally met him before, but she knew from a description that this could only be Akane's marvelous cousin, Kaneda, the one who had humiliated her idiot brother.

"Ka-ne-da-sama?" Kodachi tentatively asked, testing the words on her lips and finding them as sweet as any nectar.

"Oh my!"

Nabiki looked up to find Kasumi standing on the porch looking at them both and repressed a sense of mild irritation with her sister, instead calling out, "Get the first aid kit, Kasumi-chan. I think Akane's friend got scratched falling out of a window."

As Nabiki said this she knew it was very unlikely that Kuno Kodachi's sudden swim with the fishes had been an accidental arrangement. Someone had definitely helped her become airborne, and Nabiki felt mild irritation, intending to talk with Akane or whoever it was about the cost of replacement glass. Didn't anyone ever hear that some windows could be opened before you put people through them?

But as she was thinking this she was not prepared to feel a pair of feminine arms go around her…or rather HIS male body as Kodachi leaned close and repeated the words, "Kaneda-sama…to think that this poor schoolgirl's lonely days of emptiness and longing should be ended by one so virtuous and comely! I have grown so wearied being surrounded all day by only girls my own age…and now a handsome man has come to save me from my wasted life…"

"Excuse me?" Nabiki gasped in tones rather shrill for his male form, trying without success to pry Kodachi off of him as he instead dragged her to her feet, unintentionally giving the appearance of two people dancing on the ground near to the Koi pond.

"Oh my love!" Kodachi sighed, "My heart is racing! My pulse feels like the beating of a hummingbird! Take me into your embrace and sweep me off to your castle…"

"Get off of me!" Nabiki said with more force, still unable to gain the leverage she needed to escape Kodachi's bear hug.

"Hey, what's going on here?" Ranma asked as he and Genma arrived to find Kodachi clinging like a refrigerator magnet to a very stunned and hapless Nabiki.

"Ranma?" Nabiki swallowed, thinking of several expletives she might have used at the moment, only she was far too embarrassed to say any of them aloud.

"Oh my," said Genma, unintentionally imitating Kasumi.

"Get her off of me!" Nabiki pleaded.

"Kaneda, I am so hurt that you do not take me away from all of these dreary surroundings," Kodachi cooed as she looked up at Nabiki with sparkling devotion, then produced a rose from seemingly out of no where, "For you, my only love…"

"Kodachi…" Ranma whispered.

"Ranma--it's not what it looks like--!" Nabiki started to protest when the rose suddenly shot some kind of pollen in his face, and with the reflex gag he inhaled the potent potion, instantly feeling it shoot through his limbs like lightning, stiffening same and making her every limb become as stiff as a board. He collapsed into Kodachi's arms, no longer able to resist as she took advantage of Nabiki's helplessness to thoroughly glom hold of him, hugging her body in a way that would have gained any man's interest if he had the slightest interest in women.

What made the whole situation far too embarrassing to describe was the fact that Nabiki was feeling very male at the moment, in spite of a sudden fervent desire to be as far away as she could get from Kodachi! No doubt it was one of the side effects of the drug she was using…

"Nabiki…how could you?" Ranma whispered.

What? Nabiki's mind seized up in dismay. He couldn't be that blind to her actual state…could he? She wanted to call out to him to explain her helplessness, but even her mouth would not respond to directions. She was ready to die from the humiliation of it all when she heard Nodoka's firm voice say, "Kodachi, get inside and go see Akane."

In spite of her brazen manners of the previous few moments, Kodachi suddenly cringed like a little girl and said, "Yes, Auntie," and she reluctantly surrendered her death-grip on Nabiki. She slid past him, doing a little saunter as she skipped up to the porch, then bowed her head meekly as she slipped past a scowling Nodoka. Before she disappeared inside she blew a kiss back his way, but all Nabiki could do was stare with her eyes, the only part of him that seemed capable of functioning like normal. The rest of him stood stiff as a statue, badly in danger of losing his balance and wishing he could just jump into the Koi pond and lose himself among the fishes.

Ranma was looking at him with hurt, expressive eyes and looked ready to turn away but for the restraining hand Genma had placed upon his shoulder. Very softly Genma growled as he leaned over, "Ranma…remain here. Nabiki-chan needs you to stay with her. Don't fly off the handle, boy, go over there and tell her about your feelings."

"A very good idea," Nodoka said, then sighed as she looked to Nabiki, "Please try and forgive Kodachi's little eccentricities. She can be such a difficult young girl at times such as these. She isn't all bad, she's just had a difficult upbringing…I blame her guardians for being less than fully attentive. I'll try and straighten her out later, in the meantime I think you need a bath. Come along, Genma."

"Yes dear," Genma replied, falling dutifully into step like an obedient panda.

Ranma just stood where he was looking at Nabiki with an effort to resist crying, but at last his voice shook, "Nabiki…how could you?"

Nabiki tried with every ounce of his strength to convey the strength of his feelings, wishing very much that there were such a thing as Telepathy, for he wanted to shout, "Ranma--I'm NOT LIKE THAT!!!"

"Well?" Ranma asked after another long moment, "What have you got to say for yourself this time? Gonna tell me what an idiot I am for thinking you had feelings?"

Nabiki blinked. What was he going on about? Did he honestly believe she had set this whole thing up to make him feel jealous?

"Nabiki?" for the first time Ranma seemed to take notice of the other man's rigid stance and took a few steps closer to investigate, then stared with widened eyes, "Hey…are you all right?"

Nabiki felt miserable and stiff. He wanted to lash out at Ranma for making him feel this way, or to plead with Ranma for some understanding, but instead he felt tears run down his cheeks. Damn him anyway! Who did he think he was, treating her like she was the sort of person who could flirt with a nutcase like that Kodachi?

Ranma hesitantly poked Nabiki in the chest, and when the other man did not react he started to smile in relief and said, "Oh…you can't move can you? Oh, that's great! I mean--that's bad! I mean…you weren't really…it was just one of Kodachi's…I mean…oh gosh…I'm so sorry!"

Nabiki blinked again. Now what?

"I should have realized…I just wasn't thinking…oh! Hi, Oneechan. Thank you so very much," he turned to Kasumi and accepted the teakettle she handed him without a word. He turned and tipped it over Nabiki's head, reverting her to normal.

"G-g-gaahhh," Nabiki weakly managed to gasp out, finding partial restoration, as the change appeared to speed up her recovery from the paralysis potion.

Ranma handed the kettle back to Kasumi then threw his arms around Nabiki to hug her, "I'm so sorry! Can you forgive me?"

"I…think so…" Nabiki managed somehow to say. Her arms still hung like lead at her sides, but at least now she did not feel so awkwardly male, and Ranma was holding her, which felt…great!

"I can be such an idiot sometimes," Ranma shook his head, "I know what Kodachi's like. I should have known she'd do something like this meeting a cute guy like you were. It's not the first time this has happened, you know, she's very flirtatious."

"Ru-really?" Nabiki said as dryly as she could manage.

Ranma sighed again, "I guess you must wonder why I ever got so hung up over her. I guess I just fell under the spell she weaves over people. She can actually be quite charming when she wants to be, those times when she doesn't come off like a female version of her brother. Anyway, the effects of the paralysis gas should wear off in a few more hours…"

"Hours?" Nabiki gasped. How was she going to cope spending the night like this? She'd be as stiff as a board in the morning…no pun intended.

"Right," Ranma said, "Well, I guess I could carry you inside so you can get dressed in some dry clothing. Ah--I mean--Kasumi or Mom can help dress you. I, uh…just wanted to take a moment to…well…you see, Dad…um, well…my father…he kinda thought I should…ask you something…and I guess this is as good a time as any other."

Nabiki still could do nothing but stand there and look at him. Fortunately that was exactly what she wanted to do as she patiently waited for him to continue.

"Ahm…" he looked away, taking a deep breath before saying, "Dad…kinda thinks it'd be a good idea if we went out on a…ahm…a…that is…"

"A date?" Nabiki murmured, then blinked with understanding.

"Ah--yeah…something like that…" he shuffled his feet, then said, "You don't have to say yes or nothing…if you don't want to…"

"Yes."

"Huh?"

"I'd love to go," Nabiki replied.

"You would?"

"Hai."

"Oh…that's great…." his sigh was heartfelt, as though a weight had been lifted, "Ah…what time?"

"Whenever."

"And…where?"

"Your choice."

Ranma looked at Nabiki and smiled. Obviously being unable to say more than a few words at a time had one great advantage. She was in a very poor position to bargain. Any other time and he was sure she could have convinced him to pick the swankest and most expensive restaurant in Nerima. He did want to treat her to a special, good time, but on the limited budget he would have imposed on him he'd have to settle for a nice place that she could relax in, and preferably not fast food.

"Okay," Ranma smiled, "How about tomorrow?"

"It's a date," she smiled, her facial muscles twitching a little so that it came out as a parody of her infamous smirk. He decided he could accept that, for once having full advantage over the arch-negotiator.

Ranma bent down and easily lifted Nabiki into his arms. Her body did not quite slump as it normally would, but it bent enough that he could hold her without too much trouble. She turned out to be a lot lighter than he would have imagined, and he said as much aloud, hoping it did not come across as an effort to brag about his strength, but for some reason she seemed to appreciate his comment and snuggled up more closely to his chest, or as much so as she could manage…

Kodachi was not very pleased to see Keiko standing beside Akane's bed, even granted the look on the Kickboxer's face was contrite and sincerely apologetic. She ignored the redhead's murmur of contrition and instead turned back to Akane, giving the window an amused glance before saying, "Sorry about the draft. Somebody seemed to think I needed a bath."

"'Dachi," Akane said, "This is Arigami Keiko. Keiko, this is Kuno Kodachi. I know you two met, but you didn't exactly hit it off very well then either."

"Arigami Keiko," Kodachi finally acknowledged the redhead's existence and eyed her as though she were a specimen in an Etymology class, "I understand that you have lived abroad for some years, so I suppose I can excuse your lack of proper manners."

"On the contrary, Kuno-san," Keiko bowed, "My manners are usually quite good. It was simple haste that caused my rudeness. I thought someone was attacking my friend and reacted without properly comprehending the situation."

"I will forgive it this time," Kodachi said, "But you still owe me for the repair cost of our wall, not to mention the lumps that you gave to my brother. He can be an idiot sometimes, but he means well in his own strange manner."

"I suppose that it is a family trait," Keiko said in a pleasant voice, "In the future I'll try and do better by your estimation. I am sorry about the wall, it just happened to be in my way at the moment."

"Hmph," Kodachi sniffed, then dismissed Keiko from her mind as she turned to smile at Akane, "I see you haven't improved on your choice of companions. How do you ever wind up sharing space with these low-life gutter trash?"

"I'd be careful what I say around Keiko, 'Dachi," Akane smiled, "She's pretty good at Mu Tai and she even gave Nabiki a few rough moments."

"Mu Tai is a sport of those barbarian Chinese," Nabiki snorted, "It is not a proper art at all, just common brawling. Now my own specialty of Rhythmic Gymnastics…"

"I hear you're pretty good," Keiko inclined her head, not evidently taking offense at Kodachi's brazen insult, "Maybe we can go at each other some time and you can show me a few pointers."

There was a dangerous gleam in Kodachi's eyes as she said, "Perhaps…if you can managed to achieve some fleeting grace, I will consider it a challenge."

"Fine," Keiko smiled, "I'd better go see now Nabiki's doing. I thought I heard her outside a while ago talking to Ranma."

She turned to leave and Kodachi glanced at her over her shoulder, then murmured under her breath, "Your sister has a strange taste in friends, Akane-chan."

"Well, Keiko is unusual," Akane conceded, "But she's really not a bad sort of person."

"Nabiki-san also seems to have an equally poor taste in men," Kodachi added as she looked back at Akane, "Imagine going for that fool Ranma, who never treated you as you deserved. For that matter, I don't know why you aren't happier to be free of him. You never wanted that clod as your iinazuke."

"I guess maybe I never really tried to think of him that way," Akane noted, then gave Kodachi a hard look and said, "What was the big idea of trying to ambush me? You weren't really going to put me out of commission like you did with all the others?"

"Akane-chan," Kodachi's smile was very different from the brazen smirk she usually turned upon others, "You know I'd never do anything to hurt you, of all people. You are like the sister that I always wished I'd had! I was simply having fun with you is all…you should have seen your face--priceless!"

She chuckled in a modified version of her usual deranged laugh, but this one only made Akane smile back, "Well, don't let it happen again. You know I'm upset enough as it is about this whole stupid business of me having to compete with you."

"Is that envy I hear, or self-pity?" Kodachi asked, then added, "I caught your little performance in the dojo. You were…not quite Olympic material."

"Thanks," Akane growled, "I just love hearing that…"

"I'm not putting you down, Akane," Kodachi said as she sat down on the bed beside Akane, "You have potential, I've always said it. Ranma--the idiot--always faults you for trying, but there is nothing wrong with trying to improve yourself. I've offered to teach you my style in the past, but you've refused me."

"I guess maybe I just never thought I'd need to know Rhythmic Gymnastics," Akane said with a sheepish expression.

"We all make mistakes, dear," Kodachi smiled, patting Akane on the knee with a sisterly affection, "The point is that--the way you are now--you'd never be able to put up much of a challenge for me, and that worries me greatly. I don't mind winning easily, but I was hoping this year to find at least one worthy challenge."

"So you could cripple her?" Akane asked, "I just don't know why you'd ever feel like you had to cheat that way. You're good!"

"You may think so," Kodachi suddenly had a shadow about her eyes before she added, "But others did not always think as you do. Well, that's in the past, and perhaps it is time I accept my good points and appoint myself as your personal home instructor."

"Is that ethical?" Akane looked puzzled, "After all, we're supposed to be rivals, not that I'd turn down a few good pointers."

"You'll need more than a few if we're going to get you ready for next week," Kodachi said, then smiled as she added, "I noticed you already have a personal trainer. Is he your new boy friend?"

"Dachi!" Akane reacted in shock, feeling her cheeks color brightly, "He's just a friend, a guy who came to live with us a few days ago. He doesn't have a place of his own just yet, but he's a very nice man, and he's been kind enough to help me with the basics, which is more than I can say about Ranma."

"For a moment there I was wondering if he were Ranma's long lost brother," Kodachi mused, "Well, I'm sure he must be nice if he's willing to be of help to you. But you really do need someone with more experience if you wish to give me a real challenge. Good thing you're a fast learner. We can get started in the morning, but first…could you tell me a little something about your cousin Kaneda?"

"Kaneda?" Akane blinked, then belatedly recalled the false name Nabiki had adopted, "Oh…uh…you met him?"

"Silly girl," Kodachi smiled, "Did you think that you could hide such a magnificent male specimen from me? I would almost suspect you of keeping him for yourself, were it not that you protest so often that you despise young men and have eyes only for one who is so much older."

"Ah…" Akane wondered just what she should say to all of that. On the one hand it was bizarre to think that Kodachi was falling in love yet again…only this time for Nabiki! On the other hand telling Kodachi about Nabiki's shameful secret was not exactly a sisterly thing to do, no matter how much irritation she felt about…

Akane smiled, a delightfully wicked gleam in her eyes as she considered the possibilities of this situation. Kodachi was forever saying that she was the Queen of practical jokes and deceptions…maybe it was time for the Queen to get dethroned! It would make Nabiki's life only a little more complicated and interesting than it already was, but was otherwise a harmless little prank to play on Kodachi.

Besides, a tiny little payback for all the inconvenience Nabiki had caused her was just the thing Akane needed to cheer herself up, so she smiled at her friend and said, "Oh, Cousin Kaneda…don't tell me you're interested in him, 'Dachi?"

"As the sun and the moon share the same sky," Kodachi said radiantly, "So too have the paths of our lives cross together in a moment of pure magic. I would capture that magic and distill the moment to turn it into something blessed and eternal."

Akane raised her eyebrows. This was more than the usual Kodachi crush she was used to. A tiny voice started to sound a note of alarm in the back of her mind, but having committed herself to playing out her little joke, she just smiled and said, "Well, I'll talk to him the next I see…him, and I'll mention that you think so highly of his…manly attributes."

"Oh, but I would die of shame should he think me some brazen hussy throwing myself into his path when all I wish is the sweetness of his smile, the grace of his company and the pleasure of his kind devotion," Kodachi oozed in a way that warned Akane that this her friend had fallen much harder than her usual crushes. In fact she had never seen Kodachi sound so much like her brother than at this moment. It made her wonder if this were the type of prank she could be comfortable with, but to tell Kodachi the truth now might truly strain their friendship, and that was something she did not want to have to contemplate.

She did not care that Kodachi was rich, beautiful and influential, she just wanted to know that her friend and confidant would still be around when she needed her, and that was likely to be very often the way things kept on happening at their house. She sighed and decided to play along until she could figure out how to defuse this whole situation. In the meantime she said, "Now…what can you tell me about this sport that won't have me winding up flat on my face?"

"For one thing, play up your strengths, Akane-chan," Kodachi smiled, "You are a very attractive young lady, and with my coaching you can be as charming for the crowds as I…perhaps even make me look good by reflection."

"I'd like that a lot," Akane assured her, thinking with a guilty start that Kodachi was indeed more of a sister to her than Nabiki, and it was nice to have a sister who was not also her rival, however guilty it made her feel to think so.

At least Kodachi never charged her interest for a loan, having more money to give away than the national bank. At least you knew where you stood with Kodachi, which was usually somewhere between the poor and the nuthouse…

Continued

Comments/Criticisms/Paper Shredders: Shadowmane@msn.com