Project A-Ko Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki 1/2 (A Very Scary Thought) ❯ Cat Takes the Cheese... ( Chapter 22 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Nabiki 1/2

(A Very Scary Thought)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Based Upon the Altered Destinies Storyline

Inspired by the works of such fans as

Wade Tritshler

Richard Lawson

James Jones

And Many Others

Standard Disclaimer: This is inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and is not my original creation. All characters belong to her. This is only a fanfictional work, and is not intended to compromise the rights of the original owners, distributors and publishers of the Ranma series. I have no money to spare and would very much appreciate if no one tries to sue me.

The Consul General was all smiles at the departure of the old woman from his life. Providing her with limousine escort was a much smaller price to pay than the permits, visas, requested documents and conversion to cash of some ancient gold coins that the not-so-charming ghoul knew the value of to the Yen. Anything was worth relieving himself of her dangerous presence, and because he had cooperated so politely he was pleased to note that she put in a good word about him to his superiors in Beijing.

Indeed, the whole embassy felt as though a dark cloud had lifted from their lives, and business was returning to normal for all of the staff. They had even managed to pry poor Wan-Hu from the wall impression he had made, and there was some talk of brain activity from the hospital, which was a very good sign. Things were looking up indeed, gradually returning to some semblance of normality.

And then the strange boy appeared, the one with long hair and thick glasses, appeared as if by magic in his office, wearing a white robe and dark blue pants. The Amazon boy, he remembered thinking, the one he had been warned about by the old woman before her departure.

Amazon men were something he generally pitied as a concept, having heard all sorts of stories of how they were denied status and had to live totally dependent on their women. Amazon men fought for the right to marry and were expected to be fertile fathers, the virtual sex toys of their too-aggressive women. He had never met an Amazon man before, and having seen one now he was filled with pity and apprehension.

Apprehension because the old woman had said that this boy was an able fighter, if not very competent by her measure, and dangerously unstable. The Consul General did not know how dangerous that was, but judging from the emphasis the old woman placed upon the word he was prepared to accept that the boy was VERY dangerous and not to be taken lightly.

<"Can I help you?"> the Consul General asked as he pressed the button under his desk that would summon immediate aid to deal with this half-blind interloper.

The gleam in the boy's eyes might just have been a trick of the lighting, but his smile radiated confidence of his position, <"You can indeed. Where did the old ghoul wish to be taken?">

The Consul General hardly needed to ask of whom the boy was referring, but he steepled his fingers over his desk and returned a congenial smile, <"Of no place important. She mentioned that you might be paying us a visit.">

<"Indeed? And did she tell you what would happen if you did not cooperate?">

That was when the guards burst into his office with guns trained towards the boy. It should have been a simple matter persuading the young man to leave in peace, or else face immediate incarceration, or perhaps death on the spot for his impudent intrusion.

But the boy never so much as bat an eye, and suddenly his men were scattered, their weapons struck from their hands by what seemed like living coils of metal. Several collapsed sporting feathered darts, others took cover as sharpened blades rained from the boy's hands, and in minutes the guards were effectively neutralized as a threat to his person.

A knife sprang up from the Consul General's desk directly between his elbows. As he instinctively sat back in his chair another blade sprang from the right side of the cushion his head rested upon, followed near instantly by a second at his left temple. The Consul General became very still, realizing that the next blade might come even closer, and suddenly he was most cooperative with the boy in answering his questions.

<"Nerima,"> the boy murmured thoughtfully as he stroked his chin, then bowed, <"Your cooperation has been noted.">

With that he vanished from the room, taking most of his play toys with him, and though the Consul General alerted his staff and had security shut down the building with guards doubled at the exits no one saw anything more of the boy. It was as if he became a phantom and flew over the walls of the Embassy compound. A thorough search turned up nothing, and the Consul General rather doubted that the boy would be seen again anytime shortly.

This spoiled his excellent mood of the day. These Amazons were indeed a great deal of trouble! He knew a complaint to his superiors would be ignored, and so he decided to overlook the matter. Just the same he privately wondered about the gathering activity in one rather insignificant Tokyo province, and wondered why the boy and the old woman were going there. It was not his affair, certainly not anything into which he would like to inquire, but he could not help feeling as though the shadow of something terrible had briefly touched his soul.

He would dismiss the whole thing as a very bad dream but for the nicks in his desk and the ruined upholstery, and the guards who slept for several hours. On the whole, the experience shook him up rather badly, and he decided a vacation was in order…preferably one a very long ways from the Gang Hi province and all things concerned with Joketsuzoku…

"So you're saying the odds are put at twelve to one now against my sister?" Nabiki was asking Ryonami as the girl read from a list while she worked out her new katas.

"Hai, Sempei," the girl replied, "If she competes it will be near miraculous in itself, but with Kuno Kodachi personally instructing her it seems a sneak ambush has diminished in likelihood, thus Furinkan's chances are improved from odds that might best be termed as abysmal. That is not to say that there is any hope our school might win, but at least with Akane-san's help we will come in a respectable second."

"That seems likely," Nabiki replied, "But don't sell my sister short just yet. I'd say her chances were nearly even."

"But you do not know Kuno Kodachi, Sempei," Ryonami said respectfully, "It is true that she and Akane-san are close friends, but it is said that the Black Rose will use any means at her disposal to bring victory for Saint Hebereke. She might not go all out against your sister, but it is very likely she will rely upon her infinite supply of gag-tricks to insure that she remains the victor."

"I see," Nabiki replied, completing another movement, "Thank you for your diligence, as well as your honesty, Ryonami-san. I chose well in you if you continue to provide me with such intelligence, not that I believe that I need to warn my sister of Kodachi's cunning."

"Hai, Sempei," Ryonami bowed very low and held it, a sign of great respect that showed the girl had excellent manners.

"Anything else to report?" Nabiki asked.

"Only that Gosunkugi was seen talking with that Vice Cop you met yesterday, Sempei," Ryonami answered, "And afterwards he appeared unusually thoughtful and avoided his normal practice of spying on the girls' lockers."

"That is unusual," Nabiki sniffed, "Don't tell me the little hentai is developing a conscience?"

"That would seem most unlikely," Ryonami replied, "But it could mean he has become an informant."

"If so he could be useful," Nabiki smiled, "Information flows both ways, ne?"

"H-hai, Sempei," the girl replied nervously.

Nabiki laughed, "I wasn't implying you, Ryo-chan. I think you already have a good idea of where your fortune lies. Has word gotten around of what I intend to see happen?"

"There is nothing else but talk about the new order you have outlined," Ryonami said, "Many whose fortunes were tied to the old order already plot retribution, but fear to strike because of your growing reputation. However…there is some talk about an incident yesterday following the explosion in the Chem Lab."

"Indeed?" Nabiki asked as she completed her exercise yet again, "And what of it?"

"Sempei," Ryonami seemed even more nervous than before, as though having trouble broaching the next subject, "There is talk…that you had some troubles while abroad in China…"

"I see," Nabiki turned to look at the girl and asked, "What sort of troubles?"

"No one knows for certain," Ryonami said, "But you fought against a Chinese girl and were even seen running away. There is a rumor that you may have incurred the wrath of…powerful enemies from abroad who might have commissioned…your execution…"

"Ah, I see," Nabiki replied, "No need to worry so much Ryo-chan. It wasn't anything quite so serious as that. It's true I knew some people in Hong Kong, but that business was done a long time ago. This is a personal matter that I must deal with in my own fashion."

"Of course, Sempei," Ryonami bowed again, "Then may I ask the nature of this kata you have been practicing for the past hour? I don't believe I recognize the style…"

"It's something I came up with on my own," Nabiki replied, "I call it: Rat Offers the Cheese, and it may be just the thing I need to help resolve that certain problem you refer to."

"I do not understand, Sempei," Ryonami looked puzzled.

"Nor do you have to," Nabiki smiled at her and said, "Continue to gather information, and let me know if there is any serious movement afoot that I may have to deal with."

"As you wish it, Sempei," the girl bowed yet again, then turned and left the dojo.

Nabiki waited until she was certain the girl had gone before her smile slid away, leaving in its place a far more grim expression. The business with Perfume had almost cost her badly needed face among the very students she had been trying to impress. It did not pay to look bad when you were trying to act the part of Junior Obuyun. She would need all the capital she could gather to make her ideas take hold in the flabby mold that was the Furinkan student body, which meant the threat posed by Perfume had to be dealt with post haste.

A good thing she had a plan in mind that might just achieve that objective. If she had explained the details to Ryonami, however, the girl might have fainted. After all, she was a delicate flower at heart, not one of the hardened souls that Nabiki was used to encountering in her travels. Nabiki's plan held risk, but it was infinitely preferable to waiting for the Amazon to strike again. This way, at least, she would know when she struck and could see her coming.

Satisfied that she was as ready as she could make herself, she turned to exit the dojo and found Kuno Kodachi standing by the entrance. The self-styled Black Rose was smiling at her with the most enigmatic of expression, then said in her melodious voice, "Well, aren't we the little Daimyo in training. I hear you now run Furinkan High after the most unfortunate occurrence that landed several students in Juvenile detention."

"Karma," Nabiki replied, "Is there something I can do for you, Kuno-san?"

"Not at the moment, I think," Kodachi smiled dazzlingly, "You have excellent coordination and superior moves. You would make a fine gymnast if you should ever want to try out."

"I think I have enough tasks on my agenda," Nabiki smiled, "You needn't fear that I'll intrude in your domain, but thanks for the compliment."

"Then perhaps it is I who would ask you for a most generous favor," Kodachi smiled like a cunning viper while her tone darkened considerably, "Your cousin, Kaneda…is it true what I hear that he has become betrothed to that Chinese Harlot?"

"If you mean Shampoo, I'm afraid it's true," Nabiki said with greater weariness than she would have preferred, "But it came as much of a surprise to him as anyone else, I assure you."

"How did this happen?" now Kodachi's voice held no trace of humor.

"Kaneda…was with me and Uncle Saotome when we paid a visit to a Chinese village named Joketsuzoku…"

"The home of the Nyuchizu Amazons, yes," Kodachi nodded, "I have heard of them and their reputation. You do not mean to say that he foolishly challenged one of them to combat?"

"It was a mistake," Nabiki sighed, "Uncle Genma caused an incident by acting without thinking…you probably know by now that with him this is far from his first such incident…"

"Indeed," Kodachi sniffed, "Like son, like father."

Nabiki frowned at the overt slight of Ranma and said, "Ranma-kun is nothing like his father."

"I know you care for him, though the Kami know alone knows why," Kodachi averred, "Please accept that I intended no slight to you, and do continue with your fascinating story."

"Well…Kaneda was forced to challenge the Tournament Champion in order to bail Uncle Genma out of the mess he had gotten us all in, and though the Amazon was a very good fighter, she was tired from a day of trial and was easily overmatched by Kaneda."

"And that is how that Purple Haired strumpet came to claim him?" Kodachi's voice no longer concealed her irritation, "Unforgivable! To entrap such wonderful a man in such a base manner is not to be tolerated! How dare she claim the finest flower of manhood that I, the Black Rose of Hebereke, have deigned to claim as my own? This wretch must be forced to renounce her claim at once…"

"Ah," Nabiki spoke quickly, "I don't think it would be a very good idea to challenge her, unless you want the Kiss of Death applied to you, and we've already tried reasoning this out with her. Turns out she has no choice in the matter. The Law obligates her to accept Kaneda as her husband. There was even a festival in which Kaneda had something to drink that blurred his reasoning until he woke up the next day and found himself in bed with Shampoo…"

"Oh, the tragedy of tragedies!" Kodachi wailed, "To despoil such pure and innocent manhood by the use of foul potions--and worse still, it was not I who claimed him first in such a manner! Such horrors I cannot endure. My poor Kaneda-sama, wasting away as the love slave to that voracious hussy…"

"Um," Nabiki winced, feeling particularly awkward as Kodachi seemed ready to ramble on this way for at least another five minutes, "You don't really have to do this…we're going to talk with her Great Grandmother to see if we can work out some kind of settlement…"

"That will avail you nothing," Kodachi replied, "I have heard that these Amazons set great store on their barbaric customs, although I will admit that it is a novel way to earn the affections of a man. I thank you for this knowledge, Tendo Nabiki, and am in your debt. I know my idiot brother has been something of a bother for you, but you need not fear that I will encourage his interest. I know that he can be so annoyingly persistent."

"That he can, Kuno-san," Nabiki agreed, not adding that Kodachi certainly had her own share of amorous obsession.

"Oh," Kodachi paused on the point of making her exit, "One other thing. Perhaps you can confirm or deny the other rumor I have heard concerning my darling Kaneda-Sama."

"What other rumor?" Nabiki asked apprehensively.

"Someone overheard someone else who claims that he is apprehensive about cats," Kodachi inclined her head slightly, "Something about learning a special technique called the Nekoken?"

Nabiki was amazed at her ability to stifle the involuntary reaction she felt at the mention of her phobia, and she was somehow able to say, "That is very interesting, but if he had such a problem do you not think that I would know it?"

"Indeed," Kodachi smiled, "Just asking. If you need to find me, I'll be in Akane-chan's room. We will be putting the finishing touches on her preparations for tomorrows competition when you are done using the dojo."

"Actually I'm almost done now," Nabiki replied, "You've done a marvelous job of training my sister."

"It has been my sincere pleasure," Kodachi's smile seemed genuine for just a flash of an instant, then she added with a wink, "And you can assure your friend that I would never do anything to harm my beloved friend. I won't need unfair tricks to earn my inevitable triumph, and besides…if Akane-chan does well it will reflect very well upon her trainer. A girl has to keep her options in mind just in case her talents should be recognized later."

And with a leap and her trademark laugh she launched herself out into the garden. Nabiki just shook her head and sighed, "I'm never going to understand that lady…"

<"I would suspect your sanity if your ever were to do so.">

Nabiki tensed. She recognized that voice! More to the point, the distinctive Chinese accent was unmistakably Amazon, being nearly identical to the inflection Shampoo used in conversation.

<"What took you so long to get here?"> Nabiki replied in the same inflection.

<"You think I'm so trusting that I'd jump into the noose before inspecting around the edges?"> Perfume replied as she dropped lightly from the rafters, trademark Axes in hand and her face set with a look of determination, <"Our business was not concluded. You have yet to acknowledge your intention to honor your pledge to my Cousin.">

Nabiki slowly turned to look at the girl and said, <"I will honor it in my own time and my own way. I don't take well to being forced into anything, Cousin. The marriage may not be legitimate in my eyes, but I know it's pointless to argue about that…">

<"You are right on that account,"> Perfume struck a pose with axes extended, <"It is not my wish to see you hurt, especially since my cousin is very interested in your welfare, but I have my instructions from Great Grandmother.">

<"And you always obey like a good little Amazon?"> Nabiki asked, coaching her words to just this side of patronizing.

<"Shut up!"> Perfume reacted, <"I am not a child that you can speak this way!">

<"But you are willing to commit murder,"> Nabiki said coldly.

<"Who said anything about killing you?" > Perfume asked, <"Shampoo made the choice to allow you to live, I am merely seeing to it that you honor her by returning to Joketsuzoku.">

<"And how do you intend to enforce this?"> Nabiki asked, measuring the distance between them a keeping her nerves steady.

Perfume smiled, <"Great Grandmother has taught me many ways that I can use to persuade you to come with me. You already know that you cannot beat me in a fight, so it is pointless to resist me…">

<"And will Shampoo thank you for beating up her Airen?" Nabiki countered, <"I thought you were supposed to be her friend as well as her kinswoman.">

<"Shut up!"> Perfume snapped again, now obviously angry, <"It is for her own good that I'm doing this! She could never be happy living in exile among these barbarian Japanese. She is destined for greatness and will one day be numbered among the Elders of our village…">

<"And you'd like to see that happen?"> Nabiki asked, <"Shampoo has told me a few things about you, about how the two of you fought when you were little girls, and how she humiliated you, but later defended you against some bullies in your village. You took the place of one of her kinswomen who was banished in disgrace and thus became her cousin by adoption. The two of you have been nearly inseparable since childhood, but you were doubly cursed, once by nature, the second time at Jusenkyo…">

<"How dare you?"> Perfume hissed like a cat, <"Those are not the affairs of outsiders…">

<"But I'm not technically an outsider, am I?"> Nabiki reasoned, <"I understand now why you can't compete with the other girls, why your mutual Great Grandmother took it upon herself to train you special so that you could cope with both of your problems. You have worked hard to achieve your level of proficiency, but Shampoo says that you are not happy. No one likes you very much at home because of what you represent, and they think you are a weak girl because of your double-curses. You must be a very lonely person, like her. Small wonder you're willing to jump at the opportunity to claim my friend Ukyo for your Airen…">

<"SHUT UP!"> Perfume snarled as she threw herself towards Nabiki with both axes already in motion.

Nabiki merely ducked low and pulled her weapon from its place of concealment beneath her Chinese clothing. She fired point-blank into the Amazon's face, squirting Perfume several times with cold water.

The next instant was the most amazing that Nabiki had ever personally witnessed, watching the girl seemingly collapse in on herself as her robes billowed down to the floor, trapping the mewling cat under layers of silk and the weight of other hidden weapons.

The axes clattered to the floor as Nabiki rushed forward and snatched Perfume up without exposing her cat-form to view, mentally filling her mind with nonsensical phrases as she ran to the other end of the dojo and flipped open the lid of the special box one-handed. She slammed it shut again after dumping her cargo, then fixed the latch and backed away before her mind could completely register what she had been doing.

And then the cat fought clear of the constricting silks and stared angrily at the cage it suddenly found itself trapped within as Nabiki continued to back away, her face set with horror as she felt her skin crawl and could almost swear that she smelled the horrid aroma of fish sausages all around her. She turned away at last and took a deep breath before saying, "Well…that worked better than I'd hoped it would. I'm so sorry, Perfume, but you didn't exactly leave me with that many options."

The yowl from the cage caused Nabiki to jump a foot, but she controlled her reaction as she walked away from the dojo, still trembling inside as she found Uncle Genma suddenly athwart her path.

"Did it work?" he asked her without preamble.

"A little," she sighed, "Filling my head kept me sane for at least nine seconds, which is longer than I've ever been able to maintain. Maybe if we work a little harder I can get it up to a full minute."

"Don't push yourself too soon," he warned, "Wouldn't do any of us good if you suddenly reverted."

"Like I need you to tell me?" Nabiki snorted, but in truth she was glad that he had come up with the suggestion. It was one of the reasons she still felt good about having him around: on occasion, Uncle Genma could come up with the most surprisingly intuitive suggestions.

Genma paused before he spoke again, "You know, of course, that if she gets free she'll be twice as angry and even more determined to get you."

"A risk that I must take, Ojisama," Nabiki replied, feeling her pulse-rate return to normal, "So, in case you're thinking of drowning her in that cage, I suggest you forget about it or you'll answer to both me and Shampoo."

"Never hurts to consider all the options," he shrugged, "So what do we do with her?"

"Feed her three times a day and give her a warm spot to sleep on," Nabiki shrugged, "What else do you do with the filthy creatures? It's not like I've ever had a good reason to study their habits."

"I think I know of a good place where I can keep her," Genma replied, "At least until her Great Grandmother shows up to claim her."

"I'm counting on you to keep her well away from me," Nabiki replied, then with a wry smirk added, "Tell Ukyo that she's a present, but make sure she doesn't open the cage."

"Niece, you are wicked," Genma smiled in evident approval.

"You ought to know, Pops," she smiled back, "You trained me…"

"So," Ranma said a short time later as the two of them sat side-by-side on their favorite spot over the dojo, "That's at least one of our problems out of the way."

"At least until Shampoo's Great Grandmother stops by," Nabiki sighed, "Have to admit, I'm not looking forward to meeting her. Keiko seems to think she's the very devil incarnate."

"If she trained both of them, then she must be a pretty impressive teacher," he remarked, then looked sidelong at the woman beside him and asked, "How are you holding up?"

For some reason Nabiki had trouble maintaining her mask of self-confidence as she replied, "Not too well. I feel like a bundle of nerves. After sweating out that plan of mine, the execution was almost too easy, almost anti-climatic."

"Waiting for the other sandal to drop?" he smirked, "I don't blame you. After what happened on our first date, I'm starting to think the Kami never mean to leave us alone. We've hardly had a minute to just sit and talk like this since it happened."

"Ranma…" Nabiki's voice was tired, "I want more than anything for us to just have a normal life together…"

"So would I," he said, "But I guess we're not that normal. You've got a wife and I've got a second iinazuke, only she just became the wife of the cousin to your wife. If that isn't confusing, I'd hate to see what's in store for us."

"I shudder to think that it could get any worse," Nabiki groaned softly, then was surprised to find his arm slip around her shoulders. She rested her head against his arm and found that she very much needed the physical contact. She was forever being surprised this way by the little things Ranma could do with just a little bit of prompting. She almost hated to bring up the question that next came into her mind, "How is Ucchan taking to the idea of being married?"

Ranma stifled a laugh and said, "You've got to be kidding! She's even more stunned than I was when she turned up with that announcement about Dad betrothing me to her ten years ago. From what I've been able to tell, Ucchan isn't interested in girls, let alone one that turns into a cat…" he caught himself as he felt her tense by his side and winced, "Sorry…I forgot…"

"Not your fault," she sighed, "Just something else I have to deal with."

"Dad did this to you," it was not a question, and Ranma's voice became heavy, "I don't know what to make of him. On the one hand he's a good teacher and he makes me feel very proud whenever I do something right, but on the other hand…I feel so ashamed about the things he did on that training mission…"

"It's not your fault," she repeated with emphasis, "Your dad always did what he thought was right at the time, but sometimes he could be a little stupid. The Nekoken was a case in point, and Ukyo is another."

"Nobody's perfect, huh?" Ranma's hand tensed as he held Nabiki closer to him and softly vowed, "I swear I'll find a way to make it up to you…somehow."

"You already have," Nabiki replied, then decided the moment was as good as any she would likely get and said, "Ranma…I…I just want to say that I…"

"Airen!" Shampoo suddenly leaped onto the roof and said, "Come quick, you sister--WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH SHAMPOO'S AIREN???"

The latter was snarled in Ranma's direction. Ranma looked blankly up at the girl while Nabiki just sighed and separated herself from the protection of his arm and said, "Never mind that, Shampoo. What about my sister?"

Shampoo was glaring at Ranma, but somehow she forced the words past clenched teeth, "Airen's sister Akane-san is hurt. Akane ask for Airen…"

"Kuso!" Nabiki was on her feet as though rocket-propelled, "Take me to her at once!"

"This way," Shampoo said as she turned to leap, sparing one last angry glare at Ranma before landing on the ground in front of the dojo, followed closely by Nabiki and Ranma.

Inside they found Akane laying on her side while Keiko, Ryoga and Kodachi crouched over her, the latter with hands on Akane's ankle while Ukyo stood to one side and looked worried.

"It's just a sprain, Akane-chan," Kodachi assured her friend, "Your landing was poor this time, and you should have watched your dismount."

"I know," Akane said between clenched teeth, "I'm sorry, Kodachi-chan…I was just too clumsy…"

"Nonsense," Kodachi said, "Accidents could happen to anyone. I lost count of the injuries I've taken in my time, especially those…well, never mind. The point is that you should rest this at once and put some ice on it to lower the swelling."

"But I need to compete tomorrow!" Akane protested, "The honor of my school demands it…"

"Your honor cannot heal this by morning," Kodachi gently informed her, "I am sincerely sorry, Akane-chan, but there is no way that you will be able to compete. A pity, truly, because I was so looking forward to matching our skills on the morrow."

"Yeah," Keiko snapped, "I'll just bet!"

"I wasn't talking to you, Peasant!" Kodachi retorted.

"You're so broken up about Akane not being able to compete with you," Keiko said in mocking tones, "I wouldn't put it a bit past you to have kicked that ball under her feet…"

"HOW DARE YOU?!?" Kodachi snarled, genuinely angry, "You would accuse me of dealing unfairly with my best and only friend?"

"This from a girl who ambushed all the other competitors from the local High Schools?" Keiko replied, "You bet I'd accuse you. I'd even do more if I had proof that you…"

"Keiko-san," Akane said angrily, "I forbid you to say such things about Kodachi!"

"I'm sorry, but I'm only speaking what I think," Keiko looked hard at Kodachi and said, "You think because you're the best around that you should win by acclimation? Well, I think you could stand a few lessons in humility, so I'm formally challenging you on behalf of Akane!"

"Nani?" Akane blinked, looking very surprised at Keiko.

"Keiko-san," Ryoga urged gently, "Are you certain you want to do this? You were never formally trained in Rhythmic Gymnastics…"

"Neither were you, but you're good enough to compete yourself, Ryoga-kun, if you were the right gender," Keiko smiled at the both and said, "Don't worry, I've been watching everything and I'm pretty sure I've got the right kind of moves for this competition. I'll be Akane-chan's alternate, and I'll beat the leotard off of anyone who tries to stop me, especially Miss Black Rose here."

"An intriguing challenge," Kodachi sniffed, "But I'd never lower myself to fighting peasants…"

"Oh yeah?" Keiko stepped back and with one foot flipped a ribbon into her hand, which she proceeded to twirl like a coiling snake before snapping it out at Kodachi, who leaped backwards and rolled to a safe distance.

"I see," Kodachi said as she regarded Keiko from across the length of the dojo, "Obviously you do have some small talents. Very well, then, I will accept your challenge and humiliate you in tomorrow's competition."

"I'll be waiting to kick your ass," Keiko replied, sticking her tongue out and pulling down on one of her eyes to reveal the pink.

"Hmph, Barbarian," Kodachi sniffed as she turned and vaulted out of the dojo.

"Keiko-san…" Akane looked up at her in surprise.

"It's all right, Akane-chan," Keiko smiled back, "Friends help friends in a pinch. Hey, Ryoga-kun, care to spar with me after you take Akane-chan back inside?"

"Huh?" Ryoga looked like a deer transfixed in the headlight, "You want me to…to…?"

"It's all right," Keiko smiled, "I know how strong you are, and Akane isn't all that heavy. I'm sure you can manage," she winked at him meaningfully.

"Hey!" Akane protested at the mention of her weight.

"But, I…ah…" Ryoga looked ready to melt through the cracks in the wood floor.

"Well, what are you waiting for, you big Jackass," Ukyo snorted, giving him a playful kick to encourage him into action, "Akane needs that ice-pack."

"Ah…okay," Ryoga was very hesitant about laying a hand on Akane, but once he lifted her into his arms. Akane's smile encouraged him, and she seemed very eager to put her arms around his neck as she settled into his embrace. Ryoga almost seemed to float out the door as he took Akane back inside, his face set in a dreamy smile as though he had always dreamed of this moment.

"What's with him?" Ranma looked blankly after the other fellow.

"Nothing much," Nabiki grinned, "I think Ryoga-kun just got to first base is all, and he never even bunted."

"Shampoo think silly boy have trouble finding kitchen," Shampoo snorted, "Likely Akane-san no mind getting lost with that one."

"He's really got it bad," Ukyo nodded thoughtfully, "But if I'm not mistaken, Akane feels the same way, she's just shy about admitting it."

"Young love is a beautiful thing," Keiko smiled, then said, "Well, I've got to get training. Hey, Nabiki-chan, think you can rustle up a leotard in my size? I doubt Akane's will fit me."

"I'll see what I can rustle up," Nabiki smiled, thinking privately to herself that she had better get on the phone and start filling Ryonami in on the news before the Gossip Express gave her all the details. The odds between Furinkan and Hebereke had just gotten interesting, and it was definitely the moment to start calling in some favors…

Continued

Comments/Criticism/El Nino Reports?: Shadowmane@msn.com