Project A-Ko Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki 1/2 (A Very Scary Thought) ❯ Cat in a Cage... ( Chapter 23 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Nabiki 1/2

(A Very Scary Thought)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Based Upon the Altered Destinies Storyline

Inspired by the works of such fans as

Wade Tritshler

Richard Lawson

James Jones

And Many Others

Standard Disclaimer: This is inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and is not my original creation. All characters belong to her. This is only a fanfictional work, and is not intended to compromise the rights of the original owners, distributors and publishers of the Ranma series. I have no money to spare and would very much appreciate if no one tries to sue me.

"Look, this isn't easy for me, so don't complain about the accommodations," Ukyo said, "It wasn't my idea to leave you here with me, so don't give me that look, young lady. I'm not letting you out and that's final."

Perfume the cat just looked at her with a slight tail swish but otherwise maintained a neutral expression, which was easy in her present condition.

"Who am I kidding?" Ukyo rolled her eyes, "Look…I know you've got these rules and customs that you're supposed to obey, but I'm really not too crazy about finding out you either have to kill or marry me. I mean, I may dress like a boy, but I don't have masculine values…"

"Meorw?" Perfume inquired, as best she was able.

"Well, okay," Ukyo said in mild exasperation, "Maybe a few masculine values. I mean, you don't spend ten years of your life pretending to be a boy without learning something…"

"Mreow?" Perfume rephrased her question.

"Why did I do it?" Ukyo asked, as if uncannily interpreting the question, "Well…I guess you probably wouldn't understand. Shampoo sure didn't, and your cousin is pretty cagey, once you get past the language problem. I guess in simplest terms I felt…angry with my father for treating me like a disposable commodity. He promised me to some boy I never met and said I was going to be his wife some day. I guess I did it as much to spite him as I wanted to prove that I was as good as any boy, or the son he wanted instead of me. I guess you wouldn't understand that, coming from someplace where women are valued more highly than men…"

"Mreow," Perfume replied, wanting to convey in some terms that being a woman of the Amazons was hardly a bed of cherry blossoms.

"I've read that in most of Asia it's the other way around," Ukyo continued, "They used to drown girl babies…or maybe they still do, especially in China, where they've got a one-child per couple policy due to the population problems. I hear they even have abortions if they do ultrasound tests and find a mother is carrying a girl baby--now that's pretty barbaric!"

Perfume's cat eyes widened sharply. This was news to her, although she had heard the rumors of how things were done in other provinces…

"That doesn't happen too often here in Japan," Ukyo continued, as much to herself now as to her solitary audience, "But girls are still expected to tow the line, and boys are expected to be tough and macho. Believe me, I've walked on both sides of the fence, so I know what I'm talking about. Heck, I'll even admit that I had to do some pretty distasteful things to maintain the illusion, hanging around with guys who'd make crude jokes and tease the ladies…not that I ever stooped so low as to be that kind of a bully."

Perfume inclined her head and looked inquisitively up at her, so Ukyo smiled and continued, "All right, so maybe I got to used to playing the boy I started to think like one at times, but at heart I've always been one hundred percent woman, and it hurts deep down for people to take you for granted on account of your sex. I wanted to prove myself so bad that I made a lot of sacrifices, my femininity for one thing, and my pride for the other, but I was damned good at fooling the other boys into thinking I was one of their number…"

She sighed, "But then this business with Ranma came back to the forefront, and I find out he's a pretty nice guy, not at all like what I'm used to, or any boy I've ever hung out with. I think I like him because he's fun to hang around with, and we can talk just like we were old friends or something. Is that enough to build a relationship on? Am I fooling myself, do you think? Maybe setting myself up to take a hard fall if he doesn't like me like I want him to like me? Gosh…he has such a nice smile…I can see why Nabiki-chan wants him all to herself. I'd wish her well with him and to hell what my father thinks, but…I don't know…maybe I just want to think about this a little. I mean…if he can accept me as both a guy and a woman…then maybe he really is the guy for me. Does that make any kind of sense to you?"

Perfume shook her head from side to side, an odd gesture for a cat, but perfectly in character with her understanding of the complex situation of this woman guarding her cage, who was also her Airen.

Ukyo smiled and poked a finger to rub Perfume along her chin, a gesture Perfume suffered with a contented purr, finding she much enjoyed the brief contact. It was not often people were this nice with her, either as a cat or a woman, and being stroked that way felt so…nice…

"You know, you're not so hard to be around this way," Ukyo chuckled, "You make a pretty good listener. Of course if I let you out and you got to some hot water I'd have to go reaching for my spatulas again to try and prevent you from going after my friend Nabiki."

This thought saddened Perfume because she knew that it was true. She was obligated to carry out her Great Grandmother's will, but being in a cage in her cursed form gave her a chance to better assess the true situation from the ground the way she had been unable to do from a distance. She was discovering that, in a certain sense, she had elements in common with each of these people, particularly the one named Kuonji Ukyo, with whom she had a special bond of obligation.

Ukyo laughed, "Nab-chan doesn't know what she's missing. Imagine being scared of a little thing like you, not that I wouldn't be scared of having the real you coming after me with those axes. You're a tough little thing, and there's no doubt about it."

Perfume gave a cat-smile. It was good that her Airen thought Perfume a powerful warrior. Many Amazons thought her weak because of the curse, and because of her other curse, the one that was her private shame that made her less than the perfect warrior her parents had wanted.

"If there was only some way I could convince you not to hurt my friend," Ukyo sighed, then gave a private chuckle and said, "I'll bet you're wondering how one of my best friends from childhood can also be my rival for the guy we're both engaged to. Life is funny that way, and we both want what's ours, but I don't want to hate her just because his father is such an idiot that he forgot Ranma was engaged to me when he betrothed him to Nabiki. It's not her fault she fell in love with the guy…how could I blame her for that? Not that I'd surrender him just to make peace or anything like that…"

Perfume nodded emphatically. No warrior would honorably do that, even with their closest kin. At least not without settling the matter through combat.

Ukyo sat back and sighed, "This is a pretty mess I've gotten myself in. Here I was planning to humiliate the guy who'd made my life a living nightmare, and what happens? I wimp out! Not only is he too good a fighter for me to bash his head in, but he just won't get angry with me for attacking him. I mean, I'm sure he's upset and all that, but he never held a grudge and he's gone out of his way to be nice and everything, even though I'm sure Nab-chan is ever so jealous…"

The latter part was spoken with a guilty little-girl quality, and it made Perfume glare rather than smile this time, realizing that Nab-chan was not the only one with a green-eyed problem…

"Oh, there you are," said Keiko as she appeared at the door, "Hate to spoil a tender moment between you and your lovely wife, but I was wondering if you were going to attend my big event in the Martial Arts Rhythmic Gymnastics competition."

"Thought you already had a second," Ukyo snorted, "And she's not my wife, I'll thank you to remember. I'm not carrying the guy thing that far…"

"Oh, feeling catty are we?" Keiko chuckled, ignoring the low growl that came from Perfume's direction, "And you make such a lovely couple…"

"You really think you're ready for this?" Ukyo asked with a sour expression, "You only started last night…"

"I had Ryoga's help getting the basics down," Keiko replied, "And I've caught a couple hours rest, so I'm as ready as I need to be to deal with that Black Rose cheater."

"A couple of hours?" Ukyo started, "Are you sure you're going to be all right?"

"Heke, heke," Keiko waved the point, stumbling in as she came to sit down beside both of them, a tired smile on her face, "Just need a shot of adrenaline to fully wake myself up. I'm not as much of a morning person as Nabiki or Ranma. Glad our daily ordeal of one of Genma's practice sessions was called off on account of the contest."

"I still don't see why you're doing this," Ukyo wondered, "You've only known Akane-san for a couple of weeks, and Kodachi…"

"Hey, I like the kid," Keiko smiled, "She's naïve and sheltered, and she has a hair-trigger tempter and she fights like a novice, but she's got a lot of heart. Kodachi, on the other hand…there's something about that lady that's all twisted up inside. I think she's had a rougher time of it even than me, but she's got wealth and privilege to shelter her from the consequences of her actions, and I don't like cheaters. I'm doing this because the thought of her waltzing in there to take the prize with no competition just stinks! I thought you'd understand that, you always took the side of the underdog that I remember."

"Okay," Ukyo said, "Suppose I accept that, you do know you're taking a risk of being considered a truant."

"Risk is my life," Keiko snorted, "But what about you? Jumping in like that to play back up for Nab-chan, attacking Perfume when she's on a mission from an Elder…now that's risky! Didn't Shampoo's lesson clue you in to what could happen?"

"I…guess I just didn't think," Ukyo sighed, glancing down to the caged Perfume and said, "Jumping you wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, and I'll admit it, but it seemed like a good idea at the time, as opposed to you chopping up Nabiki."

"Well, there you are," Keiko sniffed, "And now you two are stuck with each other, like it or not. I just want to know if you're going to do right by this girl, Ucchan. You may not believe in her rules, but she does, and she's obligated to either kill or marry you. She's already made her choice, now what are you going to do about it?"

"I-I…don't know," Ukyo said faintly, "I haven't the faintest idea. This whole business is crazy! I was hoping maybe you'd have a suggestion since you know more than I do about Amazon culture…"

"I was trained by an outcast," Keiko said, "Her Great Grandmother took pity on me and showed me a few pointers, saying I had great promise as an Amazon. Believe me, it was pretty tempting. Imagine a place where the only thing that matters is your ability to fight, and if you can do that good, they welcome you like a sister."

Ukyo just smiled at that, "Maybe ten years ago I'd have been tempted. I wouldn't mind visiting the place, but I don't think I'd want to stay there indefinitely."

"Then you'd better hope Nab-chan comes up with one of her more brilliant strategies to get us all out of this mess," Keiko noted, "Or you may not have any more choice about it than she does."

Ukyo looked down at Perfume again, who was staring back at her with the unreadable expression of a cat studying a human, "Poor thing. Trapped like a cat in a cage, and I'm starting to feel the same way. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, Perfume-san, but I want to marry Ranma, not you. I'm…not into girls, not even slightly, like Nabiki…"

"You sure about that?" Keiko asked.

"Positively."

Keiko snorted, "I've heard that one before! You'll never know until you've tried it."

Ukyo looked at her in irritation, "I'm not like you. I'm not…judging you or anything, but to think like that about any girl…"

"Then why pretend to be a boy?" Keiko asked with a knowing smile, "Did you pretend you were into other guys to get other girls from hitting on you?"

"No," Ukyo blinked, "I mean, sure I got a lot of propositions from other girls, but…"

"Can't say I'm surprised," Keiko smiled, "You make a pretty handsome guy, just borderline enough to be as attractive either way. I get turned on just looking at you, and I'm pretty confident of which way I go. Don't tell me you never dated at other High Schools?"

"Ah…" Ukyo hesitated, "Well, uh…I did date other girls…just for appearances sake, but I never did anything to betray myself! At least…all except for one girl who found out but didn't betray my secret…and this guy…well, turns out he was a real pervert and wouldn't take no for an answer…"

"So you never kissed or went all the way?" Keiko smiled all the more.

"Kissed…well, once," Ukyo winced, "Just for fun, and curiosity, but not…you don't think I actually liked it?" she sounded slightly offended.

"Amazons are more sensible than we are about this stuff," Keiko sniffed, "They make a distinction between fun and marriage, and they don't think it's weird for two girls to be attracted to each other. Love is more than bodies, Ucchan, and sometimes you've got to look past the flesh to know the person. It'd be pretty limiting to only think one gender is available that way, and I think the world would be a whole lot nicer if we thought like that instead of trying to cram everyone into categories and boxes."

"But they expect to love the person they marry!" Ukyo protested.

"So they're not perfect," Keiko replied as she stood up, "That's why I'm not so big on marriage as the rest of you. I want to make love and be with the person I care about. I don't need a formal declaration for that. Maybe you should think about it a little before you slam the door in Perfume's face because you want to steal Ranma from Nabiki. Personally I'd be just happy if you took him away, but then I'd have to compete with Shampoo…" she sighed, "I lose either way. All I want is for everyone to be happy."

"Not much to ask, huh?" Ukyo snorted in weary disgust.

"You said it," Keiko turned a look towards Perfume and said, "Funny, when we first met I was utterly terrified of her. Looking at her now, all small and helpless like that, I can't help but feel a little sorry."

"Me too," Ukyo said, "But sympathy doesn't mean I want to marry her."

"Maybe you should get to know each other better," Keiko winked, "You never know, it just might work out between you."

"Yeah, right," Ukyo sniffed again as Keiko took her leave, then she looked sorrowfully at Perfume and said, "I know it's not what you want, but I'll try and make things right for us. I'm not going to marry you, but I don't want to see you hurt either."

"Mrew?" Perfume asked inquiringly, as if truly baffled by all the silly talk of these humans.

Ukyo got up and said, "I'm going to stretch my legs. School's not for another few hours, but I ought to get ready. You need anything, just give a holler."

"Mrew," Perfume acknowledged, then sat looking thoughtfully at the bars of her cage. It was very frustrating to be trapped in her cursed form, but it had allowed her to spend time with the one named Ukyo, and that almost made it worthwhile. The girl was a fascinating mix of contradictory elements, but Perfume sensed that she had a good heart, and she could hear the concern in the other girl's voice reassuring her in spite of her claims to have no interest in acknowledging their marriage.

Japanese was such a difficult language to master, but Perfume understood more words than she could competently speak, and following the exchange between her Airen and the Kickboxer had been very enlightening on several points. They were obviously very worried about the Elder and what she would do when she found out about Perfume's latest failure, and with good reason. That they were trying to find some way of assuaging her wrath was obvious, and that they believed Tendo Nabiki might find some way of doing this was very surprising. Her Great Grandmother (by adoption) was nothing if not unshakable in her convictions.

Then again, Perfume herself had underestimated Tendo Nabiki. Perhaps she would find a way of convincing Kho-Lon to allow them to stay in Japan rather than come home with Pur-Fum and Xian-Pu.

Perfume gave a cat's equivalent to a sniff. Yeah, right, and pigs have been known to fly over the Forbidden City!

But what to do if Ukyo-chan proved as stubborn as Nabiki? Would Great Grandmother insist that Perfume force the Japanese Okonomiaki Chef to come home against her will? That was bound to be a very unpleasant business…or worse if Kho-Lon pronounced the curse of death against Ukyo and Nabiki.

Perfume was beginning to feel depressed as she considered the matter her own carelessness had created. If only she had not dropped her guard that crucial second before Ukyo struck, or had reacted a fraction of a second sooner…but no, that was pointless. Recriminations could not alter the past. What was done was done, now Perfume had to make the best of it, just the same as her Cousin.

Why irony! And here she had come to this barbaric land to help Shampoo, not to follow her into self-imposed exile…

A shadow crossed the threshold of the door, and Perfume's sensitive ears heard soft footfalls coming her way. She brightened up at the thought of Ukyo's return. She was coming to enjoy her Airen's company even more than was required of a dutiful wife, so she waited with joy…until she saw that the one entering the room was not Ukyo but the one called Kodachi.

"Why now," the self-styled Black Rose purred in a way that made Perfume's hackles arch, "They left you all alone, poor thing? And who might you be?"

Perfume hissed, backing up in her cage as though trying to will herself to freedom from this creature. From her time of observation she had learned a little of what Kuno Kodachi was like, and very little of it pleased her, though the one named Akane seemed to think her a friend.

The sensations she was picking up now were anything but friendly!

"Fine, be that way, vile creature," Kodachi sniffed, "But you are just the sort of ammunition I need to win a certain handsome man to my side, so you go to sleep now," she smiled, and blew into her palm, which caused a fine black powder to flow in her direction.

Perfume was very intimate with the nature of powders and would ordinarily have held her breath to prevent being overcome, but she was surprised by the close proximity of this attack, and her animal instincts were interfering with her reason. Her mind automatically started to classify the symptoms as if to recognize the specific nature of the powder as she was finding it difficult to remain awake, and then sleep came to her and she dreamed pleasant dreams of being held in the arms of her darling Ukyo, who was petting her with affection, though her laugh sounded odd…not humorous but very… funny…

"Otosan?" Ranma said as he, Akane, Nabiki and Keiko arrived at the locker room and found a panda waiting for them, "What are you doing here?"

The Panda held up a sign that read, "I've found a job, son. I'm here to help Tofu Sensei."

"You work?" Nabiki snorted, "Now I've heard everything! What's he using you for, a giant lab rat?"

The panda turned the sign around and it read, "Very funny, but I'm serious. You always said that I needed to help bring in more money."

"To counter the amount of food you eat," Nabiki snorted, not bothering to add that the amount she needed to sustain her own ferocious appetite was just as financially taxing, then with a suspicious gleam she said, "Or is this just your way of being able to buy yourself some Sake without going through me for your allowance?"

The panda looked innocently back at them then pointed his muzzle towards a bouquet of black roses. He rapidly erased his sign and wrote the words, "Those were delivered for you a few minutes ago."

"A bouquet of black roses?" Nabiki asked skeptically, "Gee, I wonder who could have sent that…"

Akane suddenly lurched forward, only slightly hobbled by her ankle as snatched up the roses, then threw them in the direction of the showers. There was a dull "WUMP" sound, followed by a billowing smoke that Akane hastily avoided, though the panda sniffed the air and promptly fell over in his chair while Akane shoved the others out of the room, closing the door behind them.

"Kodachi," Ranma sighed, "Another of her rose tricks…"

"This is her idea of a practical joke," Akane snorted, "Don't worry about Ojisama, he'll recover. 'Dachi dabbles in potions, but she stays away from heavy toxins."

"That sure woke me up," Keiko snorted, "You really go for that kind of woman, Ranma-kun?"

"Well," Ranma said with an uncomfortable shrug of his shoulders, "I used to, but lately…"

He glanced to Nabiki, who just smiled back and said, "Charmer."

"How long until the gas clears?" Keiko asked, "I need to change into that leotard I borrowed from Kasumi."

"Give it fifteen minutes at least," Akane replied, "Maybe we should try the boy's lockers, or even a closet…"

"I"LL KILL HER!" an enraged Ukyo snarled as she stalked angrily down the corridor, stalking up to them with her fists clenched.

"Ucchan?" Nabiki spun around, "What's wrong? Kill who?"

"Who do you think?" Ukyo snarled, looking at Akane, "Your friend with the roses! She snuck into our room and stole Perfume out of her cage!"

"What?" Ranma gasped, "Are you sure it was her?"

"I heard her damned laughter down the hall!" Ukyo growled vengefully, "She was gone by the time I got out of the bathroom, but she left one of her trademark roses next to the cage! Don't ask me how she managed to convince Perfume to come with her…"

"Drugged her," Akane said, "That's 'Dachi's usual pattern."

"Drugged her?" Ukyo paled, "Oh no, and I only had my back turned for a minute…"

"She won't hurt her, Ucchan," Ranma assured, "She probably thinks she just a pet, so she'll…uh oh…"

"Ranma?" Nabiki asked archly, then blinked, "What do you mean uh-oh?"

"What would Kodachi want with a cat?" Akane asked before turning to look at Nabiki, "Could she have figured out your secret?"

Nabiki remembered Kodachi's words from the night before and paled, "Kuso…that's all I need…"

"Where would she keep Perfume?" Ukyo asked urgently.

"I thought you said you weren't interested in her," Keiko asked with an arched eyebrow.

"Not like that!" Ukyo snapped, "But she was under my protection! Which way to her house?"

"Kodachi would probably keep her close at hand, if she follows her normal pattern," Ranma said, "Maybe she expects to run into Kaneda during the match."

"Unless she's figured out that Perfume is Shampoo's cousin," Ukyo turned and looked around, "Where is Shampoo anyway? She usually follows you like a shadow."

"Ah, I sent her on an errand," Nabiki said, "She ought to be informed at once. We'll need all the help we can find if…if she means to set a trap for my male half."

"I've got to get ready," Keiko turned to Ukyo and said, "I promise I'll kick that smug bitch's behind for you, Ucchan, then I'll make her tell me where she's taken Perfume-chan."

"I'll help you look for her, Ucchan," Ranma volunteered, "Akane, you've got to help Keiko-san get ready."

"I know what a second is, Baka," Akane sniffed, "I'd better also keep an eye out for more of 'Dachi's pranks. She's full of surprises, and it's pretty obvious she considers you fair game."

"I'll take whatever she throws my way," Keiko replied, anger flaring in her eyes, "Just you wait, Kuno Kodachi! You've met your match in Arigami Keiko!"

"Somehow," Nabiki murmured, "I don't exactly see Kodachi quivering in her leotard."

"I wish Ryoga-kun were here," Akane frowned, "I wonder where he could have gotten off to this time…?"

Continued

Comments/Criticisms/Handouts: Shadowmane@msn.com