Project A-Ko Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki 1/2 (A Very Scary Thought) ❯ War Council... ( Chapter 28 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Nabiki 1/2

(A Very Scary Thought)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Based Upon the Altered Destinies Storyline

Inspired by the works of such fans as

Wade Tritshler

Richard Lawson

James Jones

And Many Others

Standard Disclaimer: This is inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and is not my original creation. All characters belong to her. This is only a fanfictional work, and is not intended to compromise the rights of the original owners, distributors and publishers of the Ranma series. I have no money to spare and would very much appreciate if no one tries to sue me.

When Nabiki was barely over seven years of age, she and Kasumi had crept up upon their father to eavesdrop on a very strange conversation he was having with an even stranger man named Saotome Genma. The gist of the conversation was that a boy would soon come to live in their house, which seemed strange in itself as their mother did not appear to be pregnant again. The mystery soon resolved itself as it soon became apparent that the boy in question was the only son of this strange man, a boy named Ranma.

Nabiki thought it a very funny name: "Wild Horse," but then again it was appropriate for the son of a man whose name meant "Dark Horse," which was a term Nabiki understood to be a gamblers term meaning an unknown prospect.

But their father became immediately suspicious that his "old friend and fellow student of the Martial Arts" was actually trying to unload his son on the Tendo Household. Nabiki silently cheered her father for having good business sense in not taking an offer at first value. No doubt the man was poor and struggling to get along, and a son was proving a greater burden than he could responsibly manage.

But then her father surprised everyone by proposing that Saotome Genma take one of his daughters in trade. Nabiki had a very queasy feeling in her stomach as she exchanged confused looks with her older sister, but Kasumi only looked even more puzzled in her expression.

One of them for the boy, Ranma?

There was a noticeable pause before Genma quietly agreed with the proposal, which left the question of who would he take with him down to three prospects: Akane, Kasumi and Nabiki.

Nabiki was certain her heart did not beat again until she heard her father give her name in answer to Genma's question. Her fate was thus sealed, and for the next ten years one question would reverberate in her mind: Why had her father agreed to such an imbecilic arrangement?

Not that she spurned the opportunity to get out and travel. School was becoming less of a challenge and her mother was always fussing with her to get out and play like "normal girls" her age. A chance to see more of the world was just the thing a young girl with prospects needed to broaden her education and teach her about survival. So she would have to intensify her Martial Arts training when she was thinking of giving it up, that would be a small sacrifice on the whole, and her father said that Uncle Genma was a good teacher.

If only the whole deal did not make her feel like so much leftover baggage…

Time passed and Nabiki became used to having Uncle Genma for a companion. He had his flaws, but he was amiable and easy to manipulate, and in time she figured out a strategy to get him to do things the way she wanted him to behave. Of course he kept on insisting on her training, and as much to satisfy him and keep him happy she took her lessons seriously, even more seriously than her studies on business and math, and she prospered in all three, becoming good enough to earn occasional praise for her efforts.

And--strangely--in time she found a real passion for the art. It was at first the convenience of being able to do things other kids her age could not do, and to do it so well that she could take it for granted. Later on, she discovered that her love of the art was the equal to her passion for making money. She rarely sought out a fight, but when one came looking for her she was always able to come out on top. In time, her skills as a negotiator came to equal her skills at fighting so she did not have to fight very often, except when there was a profit motive to make it all the sweeter.

Yet through it all, Nabiki had always kept a promise she had made to her mother before leaving, that she would at least try to be a good woman when she grew older, a woman her mother could be proud of. She had fought to maintain some trace of her femininity in spite of adopting tomboy ways out of habit. Even the curse had not taken that away from her. Nabiki was a woman, and even a man's body could not take that one essential thing away from her, the only link she still retained with her late mother.

And now even that was being denied her. Nabiki sat staring disconsolately into space, trying to make sense of her impossible situation, unable to find the Wa of her center, having a man's different balance point to focus upon, and trying above all else to keep from crying.

"Nabiki-chan," Ranma murmured to one side, and Nabiki could almost feel his desire to reach out and comfort her…no him! But he was restrained from making the same overture with a man that he would have thought more appropriate for a woman. Besides which, he seemed to also sense how brittle her mood was, and how likely she would crumble if she had to endure his pity.

Shampoo sat to his opposite side, staring at Nabiki with very sorrowful eyes, her expression not jubilant though she understood better than Nabiki the reason for her Great Grandmother's decision. She seemed on the verge of offering something, but held back for reasons Nabiki suspected were indeed related to the Elder's judgement. Nabiki barely allowed himself to acknowledge her presence. Shampoo was the cause for this mess, and because of that stupid Amazon law that bound them both together…

No, he was being unfair. Shampoo was not to blame for this situation. She was as much a victim as Nabiki and they would need each other's help if they were to resolve this mess. Nabiki swallowed her anger and simply kept on staring off beyond the walls of the dojo. She did not even turn around to give acknowledgement to either Keiko or Ukyo, whom she knew were right behind her.

At last Ranma sighed, "What are we going to do, Nabiki? We can't let that old woman get away with this…"

"I'm open to suggestions, Ranma-kun," Nabiki replied without turning around, "It's just that, at the moment, I'm not hearing any."

She sensed Shampoo's flinch and knew the others saw it as well, but was surprised when she heard the anger in Ukyo's voice as she said reprovingly, "I hope you're happy, now that you've got what you always wanted!"

Out of the corner of her eye Nabiki saw Shampoo flare in anger, "Shampoo no want force Nabiki-chan to be man against her will! Great Grandmother decide. Shampoo no go against will of Elder."

"She can't help it, Ucchan," Keiko sighed, "You haven't even begun to see what that Kho-Lon is capable! I know she'd try if it could help, but if she offered to cure Nabiki of the Cat Tongue she'd risk being punished worse than you could possibly imagine."

"Is that what's keeping you so silent?" Ranma asked with a derisive snort, "I never would have taken you for a coward."

Nabiki felt Keiko's battle aura flare and said, "Name calling won't get us anywhere, Ran-chan. Besides we ought to be worried about what this Cologne has in mind for you now that Perfume's got her thinking that you're her Airen."

"Why did she do that?" Ukyo asked after a few seconds of mutual silence, "She had me nailed dead to rights, not that I'm all that eager to go up against that Mummy…"

"Cousin," Shampoo paused, then started again, "Perfume think Ukyo being very stubborn, like Nabiki, no recognize her obligation. Perfume know Spatula girl want boy, so she claim boy for self. Is good bartering tactic."

"Bartering tactic?" Ukyo started, then glanced at Nabiki as the transformed man blew a laugh through his nostrils.

"Think about it, Ucchan," Nabiki said softly, "Perfume's word is the only thing that's keeping Cologne at bay. She tells the Elder who really defeated her and you're trapped the same way I am. Only difference is…you're fully a woman."

"Unless she takes you to Jusenkyo and kicks you into the Spring of Drowned Man," Keiko noted, "Then you really will be in Nab-chan's situation."

Ukyo stiffened then said, "That isn't funny, Keiko-san."

"I don't think any one of us is laughing at the moment, Ucchan," Ranma remarked, looking sorrowfully at Nabiki, "One or both of us is going to wind up with Perfume for a suitor. At least she's cute enough…"

"Cute?" Ukyo reacted as she looked at him in green-eyed dismay.

"Uh," Ranma blinked, thinking quickly before he said, "Well, you're cute too…and so is Nabiki…"

"Nice try, Ran-chan," Nabiki snorted without much humor, "Better quit while you're ahead or we're going to have a cat-fight…"

As soon as the words were out of his mouth Nabiki winced at his own gaff. Cats were the last thing he wanted on his mind at this particular moment…

"Silly boy no need try explain liking Cousin," Shampoo said, "Everyone like Perfume when she just nice girl, no Enforcer. Perfume good warrior, even better friend, only friend Shampoo have except for other girl we both know back in village. Perfume very easy talk with. No like doing bad things, only do what Great Grandmother tell her."

"You mean when she's not trying to kill you she can be as nice as candy," Keiko sniffed, "I already knew that."

Nabiki wondered why the phrasing Keiko used caused her to suspect something more was implied, but decided to retain her own counsel.

"Shampoo…" Shampoo hesitated again, then said, "Shampoo also suspect Cousin mean to make Spatula girl jealous…"

"Jealous?" Ukyo shot her a sharp look, "Because she's trying to take Ranchan away from me?"

"No," Shampoo replied, "Because she choose boy instead of Airen."

"N-Nani?" Ukyo stammered, "How…how could she think that I'd ever…"

"Well, you did seem pretty upset when Kodachi held her in that cage," Ranma replied, "She could have gotten the idea that you were worried about her."

"But that doesn't mean I want to marry her!" Ukyo blurted out, "I don't love Perfume, I want you, Ran-chan…"

"How you know what you think?" Shampoo asked her, "Spatula girl very strange. Shampoo no know what you want. First hate boy, now say love boy. Is Japanese way? Amazon way better."

"I wouldn't be so quick to say that, Sham-chan," Keiko remarked, "Here people try to sort out their feelings and sift through all the pretentious nonsense that most of us get raised with. Nothing's as simple as what we want life to be like, and sometimes our desires are the grandest illusions of all, trapping us like flies in the spider's web of fate."

"Very poetic," Nabiki remarked, "I didn't know you and Kuno were related."

"Well, spend a week around Kodachi and some of it rubs off," Keiko replied, "I'm not big on literature and philosophy, but I have my moments, and Madam Lao was very thorough in teaching me to be a good courtesan."

"When she wasn't teaching you to be a Mu Tai gladiator?" Nabiki asked.

"Say what you like," Keiko sighed as she rose to her feet, "At least I always knew where I stood with her. You want my help, I'm in, you want to feel sorry about yourself, find another patsy. I'm going to find somebody who doesn't mind sharing my company without the sarcasm."

Nabiki blinked, sensing Keiko's withdrawal as well as the bitterness in her tone. Her thoughts mirrored those of Ranma as her iinazuke asked, "What got into her all of a sudden?"

"Red hair have pride," Shampoo said, "No warrior like ignored by one she care about. Shampoo understand," but she refused to elaborate.

"Do you think that's what this is all about?" Nabiki finally turned to look at her, "Recognition of a claim? Shampoo…you know I'm trying to do everything I can to work this out for us. I don't want you to suffer because of some stupid law that says we're married…"

"Shampoo think Red have good idea," Shampoo sniffed, her tone suddenly angry as she started to get up, "Maybe Airen need feel less sorry for self and worry more about obligations!"

"Shampoo?" Nabiki blinked, quietly thinking to herself, Not you too?

"If Airen want talk Shampoo," Shampoo said with clear anger in her tone as she stood her ground with fists clenched, "Then talk like Man to Wife, or no talk at all!"

She turned around and stormed out of the dojo, and if she had her Bonbori in hand there was no doubt in anyone's mind that she would have created her own exit.

"Shampoo…" Nabiki whispered, unable to comprehend what exactly had just happened.

"What got into those two?" Ukyo asked, voicing aloud similar sentiments.

"I'll go ask her," Ranma said as he also got to his feet.

"You?" Ukyo blinked, "But Ran-chan…"

"It's all right," Ranma flashed her a quick smile before looking towards Nabiki, "She's not out to marry me, so I think she'll find it easier to talk, even if I'm just some guy in her weird way of thinking."

"But..." Ukyo started to say, but Ranma was already out the door, so she murmured, "Be careful, Ranchan."

An uncomfortable silence fell over the two remaining in the dojo, then after a moment Ukyo sighed too and got to her feet, "Listen, Nab-chan…I know we've had our differences of late…but I think we'll need to work this out together, no matter what happens. So…if you need to talk…"

"Domo," Nabiki replied, "I'll remember that, Ucchan."

Nabiki remained sitting in thoughtful repose another minute more, then raised her head and said, "Now what it is, Ojisama?"

Genma stood by the door and sighed, looking slightly bedraggled from their earlier fight but otherwise the same as he always was. This time, however, his attitude was more sober than usual as he said, "Ready to talk strategy now?"

"Hai," Nabiki nodded, "I think my ego's been sufficiently kicked around to get my priorities back in order. What advice do you have to share?"

Genma shook his head, "Not mine, it was Shampoo who told me of a possible answer."

Nabiki blinked as she looked at him, "You, Ojisama?"

Genma smiled, "Cologne forbade her telling us the cure to the Cat Tongue, but she never expressly forbade her telling a harmless looking panda."

Nabiki looked at him, amazed that Genma could be so subtle, "But…she knows about your curse…"

"I think she wants to help you, regardless of the objections of her Elder," Genma replied, settling his bulk down on the edge of the dojo and assuming a meditative posture, "She did not speak so much at me as to the pond where a panda just happened to be soaking. She mentioned a legendary creature known as the Phoenix…"

"The Phoenix?" Nabiki repeated.

"A creature that lives hundreds of years only to die in fire," Genma replied, "And be reborn again. It is said that one blessed with the power of a Phoenix can never be hurt by fire. Then she mentioned that there is a magical pill that her Great Grandmother carries on her person which contains this power, and that by swallowing it one gains the ability to endure great heat. That would make it the ideal solution to your problem, Nabiki-chan."

"A pill that reverses the effects of the Cat-Tongue?" Nabiki's mind whirled at the implications, but one doubt remained, and she voiced it, "You know that Kho-Lon must suspect that Shampoo would be tempted to share this with us."

"Hai," he nodded, "It would seem most logical if she allowed Shampoo to even know about its existence."

"Then what if she hides it or gets rid of it…"

"Too valuable," Genma replied, "I may not know much about these Amazons, but they are said to value their magical potions and trinkets. Besides, if it is the cure to your condition, then having it makes more sense than not having it. Besides, that one seems very confident about her abilities. Personally, I would not tangle with her in the first place."

"Is that why you made yourself scarce while she was here?" Nabiki snorted, but her mind was suddenly latched onto the possibility of a cure. If such a thing existed then there was no risk that was not worth taking, even against someone as dangerous as this Cologne the Elder…

"Hey, wait up!"

Shampoo turned an annoyed look towards Ranma and said, "What stupid boy want? Leave Shampoo alone!"

"Normally I'd be glad to," Ranma smiled as he came to within two arm lengths of the purple-haired Amazon girl, "But right now we need to talk. From the way you were talking back there, I think you know something you're not sharing with the rest of us."

"You so stupid," Shampoo glared at Ranma, "No talk outsiders like you members of tribe! Why no you understand this?"

"Because I'm a guy, I guess," Ranma inclined his head matter-of-factly, "Everything you hate, right? Only I'm not here about anything like that, I just want to know if you really are serious about helping Nabiki."

Shampoo seemed to hesitate slightly, but then her temper flared again and said, "You want help Airen? Stay out of Shampoo's way! Nabiki Shampoo's husband…"

"Look, I'm not here to debate that," Ranma said, "Even if I do think it's a stupid rule that binds you to somebody who first tries beating you up…"

"Law is no stupid!" Shampoo insisted, "Is Amazon way!"

"Right," Ranma raised both hands in an attempt to ward off her anger, "Look, I don't want to insult you or your people, even if what you did was tantamount to entrapment…"

"What?" Shampoo looked at him in shock, "What word…entrapment?"

"It means lure somebody into doing something on a false promise," Ranma explained before thinking about the matter.

"You…call Shampoo fraud?" Shampoo almost screamed at him, "You stupid boy! Shampoo give everything to Nabiki-Airen! EVERYTHING! Shampoo give up status, accept lesser place in tribe because Nabiki now have status as Shampoo Airen! Shampoo gain status if take Airen back as man, or take Airen's head! You no tell Shampoo she no make sacrifice for Airen!"

"Hey, what are you getting so angry about for?" Ranma asked, taking a half-step back, "I wasn't meaning nothing rude, and I didn't come here to fight you…"

"Hah!" Shampoo snapped, virtually in his face, "You insult Shampoo and call nothing! That bigger insult! You pay for stupid remark!"

She took a fighting stance as Ranma backed away, "Look, I'm sorry if I upset you, but like I said, I don't want to fight, and I certainly don't want to fight a woman…"

"You just coward!" Shampoo snorted.

Ranma tensed, "What did you just call me?"

"Coward!" Shampoo snapped, "Is word in Japanese, no? You back down and make excuses, but Shampoo no forgive you!"

"Hey," Ranma said, "I'm not afraid of anybody, not even that old mummy you call your Grandmother. I just don't want to fight and wind up having to marry you or nothing…"

"You think you too good for Shampoo?" she snorted, "Now we fight! Shampoo pound you like rice-flower and serve you in pasta!"

She struck at him with a flying leap, but Ranma was no where near where she expected. Having side-stepped her completely, he continued to circle around, keeping her in sight while trying to maintain his defenses.

"Look," Ranma tried again, "I said I was sorry…"

"No talk!" Shampoo cried as she attacked again, "We fight!"

Ranma sighed as he easily sidestepped her next assault, "I'm going to regret this…"

Keiko was in a darker mood than was her usual wont as she went in search of Akane, a girl she was finding it increasingly easier to talk to, as opposed to Nabiki. Though usually a cheerful sort, her spirit had been worn down by the events of the past day, so she was in no mood for the unexpected ambush of Kodachi, who sprang from concealment off the roof of the building.

"DIE, ARIGAMI KEIK--OOOFF!" Kodachi's infamous battle cry turned into a grunt of pain as Keiko's foot made contact with her stomach. Keiko held Kodachi off the ground for several seconds before retracting her leg again, allowing the self-styled Black Rose of Saint Hebereke to collapse to the ground, doubling over in pain at having the wind knocked right out of her sails.

"For crying out loud," Keiko growled in disgust, "Don't you ever get tired of this nonsense? Haven't you got anything better to do than to go around harassing people who are just minding their own business?"

Kodachi was in no condition to reply, being occupied just trying to get her lungs filled. She lay on her side like a wounded deer while Keiko looked down at her with evident pity.

"Look," she sighed, "Can't you just admit you lost fair and square and get over it? And by the way, you can stop acting. Nobody's being fooled by your performance."

Kodachi ceased moaning and looked up at her, then smiled darkly and said, "So what are you, a theater critic?"

"I just thought you felt better padded than usual," Keiko replied with a lopsided smile, "Have you forgotten I'm used to being around professional cheaters? No kickboxer falls for that old 'I'm too hurt to fight' trick in Mu Tai. I expected you to know it."

Kodachi bounded to her feet and removed the padded belt she had worn around her waist, then said, "I can see that you'll require special measures. Fortunately, I have come well prepared."

The ribbon streamer once again appeared in her hand as she whirled it about in concentric circles. Keiko just sighed as she stood her ground and said, "Don't you have any new tricks besides that?"

Suddenly the ribbon snared around Keiko's legs, and with a snap they were drawn together. A second tug threatened to pull her off her feet, but this time Keiko dove forward into a roll and came up kicking Kodachi, who rolled with the kick and swiftly recovered.

Keiko wasted no time freeing her legs, but then she saw with dismay that Kodachi now had her razor-edged hoop in hand (from where she could have drawn it was impossible to imagine), and with a twist of her waist the Gymnast hurled it towards Keiko, who swerved her body to avoid the hoop, which continued on an arc until it struck the ground, bounced off a wall and hit a tree branch. Keiko avoided this then counter-attacked with a leaping cartwheel, forcing Kodachi to dart back as she pulled her trick club from concealment.

Keiko caught the club with both hands while her foot shot out and knocked Kodachi back again. Tossing the weapon to one side, Keiko prepared another attack while Kodachi pulled out her ball and prepared to throw it.

That was when they both heard Akane yell from the window above their heads, "Hey, you two! Knock it off! Kodachi, stop bothering Keiko!"

"Akane-chan?" Kodachi made the ball disappear as she looked up with an eager face clear of malice or mischief, "What a delight to see you again…"

"Save it, 'Dachi," Akane called back down, "I'm still mad at you for what you did yesterday! People could have been hurt…"

"I know," Kodachi slowly lowered her gaze, arms falling to her sides in resignation, "I'm sorry…I got out of hand, I wasn't thinking. I'm very sorry, Akane-chan…I just don't…know myself sometimes…"

Keiko remained on her guard, but Kodachi seemed to have completely forgotten about her. Instead the mercurial girl had a lost and frightened look about her eyes as she stared down at the ground and softly murmured, "Forgive me."

Akane wavered for a few moments, then sighed, "Oh hell…I never could stay mad at you for very long, 'Dachi. You and Keiko can come up to my room, if you both promise to behave yourselves."

"I promise!" Kodachi said at once, and it was hard for Keiko to suspect dishonesty in her tone, for the Black Rose was acting as though she wanted very much to see Akane. There was a hopeful expression in her eyes, and for the first time Keiko saw that they were reddened, as if from sleeplessness…or crying.

"I promise, too," Keiko said as she lowered her guard very slowly, thinking silently to herself that there had to be more to Kodachi than the madwoman she had just been fighting. It was almost possible for her to believe that Kodachi had come here wanting to plead her case with Akane and just went wild at the sight of Keiko. She did not trust the girl, but she was beginning to think that Kodachi's problems were of another kind than simple madness.

What this meant to her or Akane was difficult to determine, but Keiko decided it was interesting enough to warrant further study. Akane was her friend, and Kodachi obviously meant something more to her than a spoiled rich child with dangerous fetishes. Perhaps Keiko was reading too much into the impression she had formed, but if she were right then someone had to guide these two down a difficult path that might change their lives forever…or possible risk angering Nabiki.

For once the latter element did not discourage her. Keiko was feeling pretty raw from watching Nabiki take her for granted yet again. Perhaps it was time to explore other options, or at the very least cop a few cheap thrills, whatever it might take to lift her spirit out of the doldrums.

At the very least her curiosity would be sated, and maybe she'd find an effective way to take Kodachi's mind off attacking her or trying to date Kaneda. Either way it was bound to brighten up her evening…

Continued

Comments/Criticism/Lambaste: Shadowmane@msn.com