Project A-Ko Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki 1/2 (A Very Scary Thought) ❯ United Front... ( Chapter 33 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Nabiki 1/2

(A Very Scary Thought)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Based Upon the Altered Destinies Storyline

Inspired by the works of such fans as

Wade Tritshler

Richard Lawson

James Jones

And Many Others

Standard Disclaimer: This is inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and is not my original creation. All characters belong to her. This is only a fanfictional work, and is not intended to compromise the rights of the original owners, distributors and publishers of the Ranma series. I have no money to spare and would very much appreciate if no one tries to sue me.

"All right, everyone," Nabiki said as she moved down the streets of Nerima at the side of her Posse, "Keep in mind that we're here to talk first, but we know there'll be trouble, so be ready for anything. Ukyo takes the lead because this involves her father and restaurant…"

"Gee thanks," Ukyo said, "I'm sure I'll make a splendid target."

"I'm hoping we can resolve this matter without resorting to bloodshed," Nabiki said, "Beating heads in is another matter, if what Happosai tells me is true."

Shampoo shuddered at the mention of that name and said, "Shampoo no believe Airen talk with Demon that way! Airen have mighty magic that Demon give clues to deal with Great Grandmother."

"Gramps isn't so bad as all that, Sham-chan," Nabiki smiled, "And he gave me a weapon I intend to use to full advantage here. Just the same, follow my lead and do what I say when we get in there."

"I still wish you'd tell us what you have in mind, Nab-chan," Ranma said, "I hate going into fights unprepared like this…"

"Believe me, Ran-chan," Nabiki replied, "This scheme is so risky that I doubt you'd like to hear all of the details. Besides the less you all know the better our chances."

"Shampoo not know what mean," Shampoo said, "But Shampoo trust Airen."

"Call me crazy, but I guess I trust you too, Nab-chan," Ukyo gave her a sidelong smirk, "Your plans usually worked in the old days, and if it gets that ghoul off our backs, I'll be grateful."

"I trust you, too," Ranma said, touching her arm as he added, "I just hope you know what you're doing."

"Me too," Nabiki said as they came upon a certain address where Nabiki nodded and asked, "Is that your restaurant?"

"Yes," Ukyo glared across the street where they found a two-story building that had a café-sized diner set up on the bottom floor with a sign that read "Kuonji's" on the side, which same made Ukyo glower a little as she murmured to herself, "It's supposed to read 'Ucchan's.' I told my father I wanted to name my restaurant for myself, not the family business."

"Maybe it's an oversight," Ranma volunteered, then winced as the others glanced at him, "Or maybe not…"

"Ucchan," Nabiki nodded to Ukyo, "I have every confidence that my plan will work out for both of us, but just in case…I want to thank you for trusting me. You're a good friend, and whatever happens, I know you want what's best for all parties, just like I do.

"Thank you, Nab-chan," Ukyo replied, then took the lead as they filed past a stretch limousine and in through the door and into the restaurant.

The place was already furnished with the clean smell of newness in the air. The counters were Formica and the tables and chairs were mostly folded with a fully stocked grill set behind the main counter. The place looked ready for business but as yet had no customers. The few people who sat in the restaurant were gathered around the one unfolded table with papers set before them. One was Kuonji Akira, and seated next to him was a black haired man in a three-piece suit, obviously a lawyer. Opposite him was Cologne, while Perfume was standing above and to one side of her chair like a bodyguard, though what she was guarding against was anyone's guess. All four were looking at Ukyo and her party, though Cologne's eyes were narrow with surprise and speculation.

Perfume's eyes were anything but narrow as she looked towards Ukyo with a mixture of longing and apprehension, then she stared at Nabiki with even greater alarm. From those hints alone Nabiki smelled trouble.

Ukyo's father was staring at his daughter with a peculiar regard, seeing Ukyo for once dressed in something other than her usual boyish clothing. Granted Ukyo still wore pants, but in place of her usual heavy cotton shirt she now wore a tan short-sleeve shirt that she had borrowed from Kasumi and tied off about the middle. Her bandoleer of throwing spatulas and Bakers peal were in place, but with her hair done up in a ribbon she looked more charmingly feminine than anyone had seen of her until this moment. The effect was still tomboyish, but now she curved so obviously that there was no question about her gender.

"Ucchan!" Ukyo's father finally grinned broadly, "You're right on time, a very good trait in a business woman. I have the papers all here, so if you just sign your name we can…"

"Excuse me, Kuonji-san," Nabiki stepped forward, "But as your daughter's trusted advisor and friend I must object to certain conditions that we understand have been stipulated in this agreement of which my client was not previously aware."

Kuonji Akira looked at Nabiki in surprise, while the man in the three-piece suit narrowed his gaze and sized Nabiki up as though she were some annoying insect. Cologne's eyes were upon her but her face betrayed nothing while Perfume's eyes held instant confusion. It was plain that the girl was very worried over something and even looked a bit relieved about the interruption to something that was plainly not to her liking.

Ukyo just glanced at Nabiki with surprise but wisely said nothing, catching Nabiki's warning look and Perfume's anxious expression. Nabiki had warned her that she would take the lead in present a counter-proposal, but the way Nabiki had phrased things made it seem as though the Tendo girl was asserting the authority of an agent-slash-legal advisor, such as were always crowed about Ukyo's father.

"Excuse me," her father said as politely as he could, "I don't believe we have met…"

"Tendo Nabiki," Nabiki bowed to him in respect, "I believe you stopped by my house just last week while I was out on a date with my iinazuke. I regret that there has been no opportunity until now for us to become properly acquainted."

"So you are Tendo Nabiki," Kuonji murmured as he studied her profile, "I almost did not recognize you, you've changed so much. The little girl who played games with my Ucchan is all grown up into a very charming lady."

"Indeed," Cologne said with eyes like slits, "A very charming and talented…lady."

Nabiki repressed a smile, but she knew the old woman was taken aback by the appearance of her feminine half. Nabiki silently thanked Happosai for telling her about the "Grandfather Spot" that could temporarily cancel out the Cat Tongue. She needed to appear as herself at this all-important meeting. It would have been far too awkward to conduct her plans as Kaneda. This way she had Cologne at a momentary disadvantage and fully intended to exploit the opening this created.

Kuonji frowned after sizing her up with a studied glance, "And what business do you in fact have with my daughter? I was given to understand that she is your rival, having a stronger claim to the son of Saotome Genma…"

"So I was given to understand when I inquired into the nature of your visit," Nabiki smiled, "I confess to surprise at finding that my promised husband…" she pronounced the words with special emphasis, "Has someone else who might claim him for her betrothed, but the matter of Genma's promise was by verbal contract, was it not? There was no written, formal declaration?"

"No," Kuonji replied, "But a verbal agreement between gentlemen is still legally binding, and Saotome Genma did not deny making the arranged marriage."

"At the time, though," Nabiki resumed, "Saotome Ranma was betrothed to my younger sister, Tendo Akane. You were made aware of this but still pressed Saotome Genma for his son's betrothal to your daughter."

Suddenly the man at Kuonji's side said, "Saotome Genma accepted the terms of the betrothal when he accepted into his possession the Yatai cart that constituted the family business."

"My Uncle is an idiot," Nabiki said pleasantly, ignoring the harsh look Ranma shot her way, "But I do not dispute that he accepted the Yatai as dowry for Kuonji Ukyo's betrothal. I was present at the time, of course, but not cognizant of the particulars of the case, so my memory of events back then would hardly be reliable. I would, however, point out that neither Saotome Ranma nor Kuonji Ukyo were made privy to the details of this transaction until well after it had been made. Being that they each were respectively six years of age, it can hardly be found surprising."

"Age does not factor into this," Kuonji senior interjected, "Ukyo was promised to Ranma in marriage. I put the family business up as collateral to cement the deal, but Genma reneged on his agreement to take Ukyo with him on his training mission."

"I see," Nabiki said, "And why was Genma supposed to do that? He had enough trouble supporting me, as I well remember, why force him to take on a second girl child as his student ward?"

"I…" Kuonji started to say when his lawyer hastily said, "The reasons are not germane to this case, Miss Tendo, and I'd like very much to know where you earned your law degree, if--that is--you actually have one?"

"I fear that I have yet to graduate High School," Nabiki continued to smile, "But one hardly need be a lawyer to read a law book, and I happen to know that child abandonment is a serious crime, one that bears harsh penalties, and I am sure you know this also. Granted my Uncle foolishly left Ukyo on the side of the road a short distance from where he parted company with her father, but she was able to make it back without incident. I will not excuse his foolish and irresponsible behavior, but I am curious about why Kuonji-Ukyo's father would have entrusted her to the care of such a man in the first place. He must have known that Saotome Genma was a poor man with few immediate prospects, who had been near to the point of starving on previous occasions, and thus could not be relied upon to properly care for two young girls. As a business venture it seems, in retrospect, very foolish."

Ukyo's father looked down, "Yes, you're right…and I'm not very proud of the way I behaved. It was wrong of me to attempt to dump my only daughter onto another man's lap. It was selfish and shortsighted, and I have never stopped blaming myself for that accursed day. But still I must insist that the betrothal was made in good faith by both parties."

His lawyer was looking as though he were about to have a fit, horrified that his rich client had just admitted to such a thing, quite oblivious to the position this placed them both in. Nabiki wasted no time snapping the jaws of her trap in place as she said, "I am sorry, but an agreement of this nature cannot be legally binding. Ukyo and Ranma are at the age of ascension but they are still very young, and a marriage at this time would not be a very good prospect. Ukyo is my friend, however, and on her behalf I would ask that there be a reasonable delay to allow them to come to know each other better so that they may decide for themselves whether or not to consummate this arrangement."

Both Ukyo and Ranma were looking at her in shock and alarm, while Cologne's gaze was like ice as she tried to force contact on Nabiki, who stoutly resisted, keeping her focus firmly on Ukyo's father.

"What purpose would that serve?" Kuonji frowned, "Ukyo will do as I have ordered and marry the man I chose to be her iinazuke."

"I see," Nabiki smiled blandly towards him and said, "And how, Kuonji-san, do you intent to enforce this? I am given to understand that your daughter has violently protested against this arranged marriage many times in the past and has even taken to such drastic measures as to run away from home and dress herself in man's clothing, declaring that she will never marry. You can't exactly compel her obedience through the law, you must rely upon her full cooperation. Ukyo must decide when, if and with whom she will marry, not you. I know you are only a concerned father trying to look out for her best interests, but even you must concede that there are limits to which you can go in trying to compel her obedience. If Ukyo decides to marry Ranma that is another matter, but then it must be Ranma's decision to marry her. He never gave consent to this betrothal, nor would he agree that he should do so under compulsion."

"He will do it because his father agreed to the betrothal!" Kuonji said angrily, "And he knows that if he does not then I will sue his family to force his compliance!"

Nabiki turned and said, "Ranma-kun, do you want to be forced into marriage under these terms? Say yes or no, regardless of what you may personally feel towards Kuonji Ukyo."

"No," Ranma said, glancing at Ukyo, "I don't want to be forced to marry anyone. It's my choice, not my father's or hers. Ucchan, I respect you and I think we could be very good friends, but I still don't know you well enough to know if I'd even want to marry you, and I don't think you're ready to marry me either. Besides, when we met you wanted to beat me up to force me to renounce you."

Ukyo paled, the more so when she saw the shocked and hurt look her father turned towards her before he gasped, "Is this true, Ucchan? Did you attack Saotome Ranma?"

Ukyo bit her lower lip, not noticing the horrified look on the face of her father's lawyer, and she just nodded.

"There were witnesses who will testify that there was a violent altercation between Ukyo and Ranma," Nabiki resumed, "One that fortunately ended without bloodshed. Ranma and Ukyo reconciled their differences and agreed to a truce during which they took the time to talk and come to an understanding. Ukyo is reconsidering her position on the marriage now, but she recognizes my claim as valid and has resolved to work things out with me before accepting or renouncing the engagement. Ranma, meanwhile, has been faithful to me, his iinazuke by a pledge between our families that predates Ukyo's arrangement. The mere fact that the designated party who fulfills the contract that requires a Tendo daughter to marry Ranma has been changed alters nothing in the bargain. A Tendo daughter will marry Saotome Ranma, and that will be me. Quite apart from any arrangement by our parents, however, is the fact that Ranma and I have made our own commitments to one another and intend to follow through on them. We reject any compulsion to marry in favor of our voluntary pledge to unite our families. The best part of it all is that I did not have to fight him to win this agreement."

Cologne gave a derisive snort but Nabiki ignored it, continuing to focus on Ukyo's father as she all but willed him to accept her statement. The Lawyer was quite nervous by this time, clearly sensing how effectively she had neutralized many of the arguments he would have made on his client's behalf. Kuonji senior was struggling with his pride and love for his only child, but it was hard to contend with the many arguments Nabiki had raised. He was a fair man by nature and her logic was telling.

But he could not simply reverse ten years of certainty regarding the fate of his child based on the reasoning of his daughter's chief rival. He looked harder at Nabiki, now seeing beyond her tender years to the tough businesswoman behind her pleasant exterior and very quietly said, "Do you wish this for Ukyo's benefit or your own?"

"A little of both, sir," Nabiki replied, all too aware of the varied looks she was receiving from her three companions, "It is for both our benefits that I would insist on a delay in resolving the question of which of the two of us is the rightful iinazuke of Saotome Ranma. Obviously I would prefer myself, but as I would not purposefully injure my friend, I am willing to delay the consummation of my own betrothal on the condition that you cease to pressure her into forcing her side of the issue. I am one year away from graduating High School and fully intend to enroll in Business College. I am reopening my family's dojo, which has sat idle too long due to a family tragedy that is not pertinent to this discussion. Ranma has two years until he graduates, and I will be insisting that he continue his education so that he will be as capable as I am of running a business. Ukyo has confided in me similar intent to furthering her own education, so it would seem premature to even be discussing marriage at this time. Marriage will inevitably involve raising children, and to do that properly requires a sound financial situation. Surely you must agree that it is in the best interest of all concerned to delay this consummation?"

Ukyo's father seemed to be thinking this over when his lawyer leaned over and whispered something in his ears that did not carry far, but Nabiki had a pretty good idea of what was being explained to Kuonji senior. The lawyer obviously sensed a legal quagmire that could undermine the entire case for Ukyo's legitimacy as Ranma's iinazuke. Nabiki was actually offering a way out that saved face and did not overtly exclude the possibility that Ukyo might marry Ranma. Given this it was hardly surprising that Kuonji seemed more conciliatory as he looked cautiously towards Nabiki and said, "You would agree to a mutual delay of both engagements? How then is the issue to be decided?"

"That is obvious, sir," Nabiki replied, "Saotome Ranma will decide which of us he will honor through marriage. The decision will rest entirely with him and have no weight of legal consequences either way to pressure him to favor one suitor over the other. Ukyo and I will both remain his iinazuke until such time as he decides, or else one or both of us withdraws for whatever reason. This will give us an equal opportunity to get to know one another so that his decision will be informed and correct, unless we all discover we have irreconcilable differences, or else find someone else whom we would favor more as a marriage partner. If at the end of the end of said grace period Ranma should decide on me then Ukyo will withdraw her claim and there will be no legal reprisals against our families. The same will hold true if Ranma should choose your daughter, in which case I will withdraw all claims. If you like we can even set this into writing, and this time as a valid contract."

Ukyo just stared at Nabiki as if unable to believe what she was hearing. The same was true with Ranma, while Shampoo was looking at her with a shocked expression. Nabiki kept her expression neutral, willing them to remain silent for just a few minutes more while Kuonji Akira weighted the issue in his own heart, then turned at last to his lawyer, who nodded affirmation.

"Very well," Kuonji said at last, "My lawyer will draft the papers this very evening and present them to your House by the time you arrive home from classes. I must say, you do impress me with the passion of your claim, and the way you so clearly represent yourself speaks well for your intelligence. You must care a great deal about the Saotome boy if you are willing to go to these extreme measures."

"I would do anything for Ranma-kun," Nabiki replied, "Except bring pain to a friend. Your daughter deserves as much of a chance at happiness as me, so I will do this for the both of them and risk the displeasure of my father, who would much rather I simply force the issue in my favor."

"You will make someone a formidable wife," Kuonji noted, "In fact…my own business has need of bright, intelligent people who have as promising a future as I suspect you possess. I will look forward to seeing you again after you graduate, and even if Ranma here chooses you--or not--then I may have an offer of my own that you may find willing to consider."

"I will be very mindful of this, sir," she smiled noncommittally, bowing as she said, "And I thank you for the compliment. Coming from such an accomplished entrepreneur as yourself it is flattery indeed."

"Well then," Kuonji seemed to relax in better spirits, "Now that we've got that bit of business out of the way, perhaps I should explain to Ukyo why I was reluctantly forced to have her take on a partner in the running of this franchise…"

"Excuse me again, Kuonji-Sama," Nabiki phrased the words in the most respectful terms she knew, bowing more deeply than before, "Ukyo also asked that I advise her in regards to this prospective partner you are about to name. She is known to us as one Kho-Lon, an Elder from a Chinese village named Joketsuzoku, and I have had recent dealings with her of an entirely different nature. If it is pleasing to you, may I continue to serve my friend as she hears the rest of your proposal?"

Kuonji looked at her in more surprise than irritation, which was good because Nabiki was risking a great deal more than she had with the betrothal business. The engagement to Ranma was obviously her concern, but this was a private business matter that should only have concerned a father and daughter. For an outsider to thrust herself into these affairs was rude, just short of disrespectful.

But Kuonji had already seen qualities that he liked in Nabiki, so he glanced to his lawyer before turning to Ukyo and asking, "Is this all right with you, Ucchan?"

Ukyo was still recovering from her surprise at what she had at first thought was Nabiki's betrayal, which she now realized was actually generosity in disguise. She considered the matter carefully before she forced a smile and said, "Hai. Nabiki has my overwhelming confidence, father. I'm sure she will do nothing to mislead me."

Nabiki had to keep her expression studied and neutral, but inwardly she felt a warm glow of pleasure at Ukyo's words. She stoically prayed to the Kami that she would not fail her now, for her real opponent in this matter was the Elder herself, whose expression would put shame to any Poker Player. Only Cologne's eyes registered any kind of emotion, and the focus there was all but unreadable. Nabiki could not tell if the ancient Amazon was amused or angry.

Kuonji smiled more broadly as he said, "It's good to have such a friend. I've often wished I could trust someone like that, but in my position…" he sighed then said, "Very well, the matter is this: The previous owner was going to sell the property for a reasonable amount but had yet to sign the papers. Just yesterday, however, she called up and demanded twice the sum of our previous arrangement. When I asked her why she said that she had been made a better offer by this distinguished lady over here. Apparently the Chinese Government is interested in broadening their investments in our country, and the Embassy itself had contacted the prior owner on behalf of Madam Kho-Lon. They arbitrated with me and it seems that the only way to obtain the property was by agreeing to a mutual co-ownership arrangement. We discussed terms and set a fair price that allowed me to purchase our share of the building for only one third the original price. Obviously such a deal is not to be sneezed at…"

"I take it then, Kuonji-sama, that Madam Kho-Lon agreed to back the other two thirds of the price?" Nabiki interjected.

"She paid up front in cash," Kuonji nodded, "In recently converted yen, no less, backed by her government. Of course I could not refuse for diplomatic reasons as well as business…"

"Of course," Nabiki agreed, giving Kho-Lon a hard stare as she added, "But having a two-thirds share means that hers is the controlling interest."

"I had thought it would be so, but apparently Madam Kho-Lon is willing to cede Managerial responsibilities to Ukyo in exchange for a fair share of the profits," Kuonji-senior replied, unable to keep surprise out of his voice, "Considering what the estimated gross return on investment my people project if my daughter manages things well, it will take her close to no time at all to earn enough that she can eventually buy back the other two thirds of the property, at which time I will sign all other rights over and allow her to manage other businesses in my franchise. This property will remain in Ukyo's hands, and those of her children, for so long as she herself may desire. Given all of this, I naturally thought this the best bargain I could arrange. All other potential properties in the area have become surprisingly more difficult to obtain through my usual real estate brokers."

Nabiki had stood where she was masking her surprise as best she was able, having not expected to hear that Cologne had been so generous. Now she framed a question as carefully as she could, mindful of the shocked expression Ukyo was wearing, "Indeed? Those are very generous terms. May I ask why Elder Kho-Lon has agreed to this transaction?"

Cologne smiled, having at last sensed her opening, "We of Joketsuzoku have not had much occasion to concern ourselves with the affairs of the world outside our borders. Now that the Chinese Government is encouraging foreign investment it would seem an opportune time for us to study the business affairs of other Capitalist countries. As one of the reigning Elders from my village it has fallen to me to conduct an in-depth research of the Japanese managerial system through investment of tribal assets in a promising commercial venture such as this. I understand that young Kuonji-san is a bright and talented individual in whom her father has great pride, and her spirit seems worthy of an Amazon, so naturally she seems like the best choice for making an initial investment. The risk seems low and the benefits are high, and if this proves out then we will be willing to offer more lucrative investments in Kuonji Enterprises. I am sure that you already know that Chinese Markets are projected to be the largest business venture frontier leading into the next century. A mutually beneficial agreement could earn us both a respectable fortune."

Now it was Nabiki's turn to narrow her eyes as she studied the Elder. She was certain that Kho-Lon was lying in at least a part of her speech. Investing in Ukyo's future did not seem at all consistent with her plans if she were intending to force the issue of Perfume on either Ukyo or Ranma. It had to be a smokescreen, but she was missing an important detail.

"Father," Ukyo finally managed to get out, "Do you know whom this woman is and what she's capable of...?"

"A great deal more than you may imagine, Kuonji-san," Cologne said pleasantly, "I regret that there was no time for us to become better acquainted at our earlier meeting. My Great Granddaughter has told me much regarding you and the young man you wish to marry, which is what caught my interest. I had been thinking about finding some promising talent such as yourself, and given the positive reports I have had you would fit the description perfectly. In fact I could come to regard you almost as if you were my daughter."

Ukyo seemed ready to choke on her reply, nor would Nabiki blame her, but denouncing the Elder before Kuonji-senior did not seem like a very good prospect, so she spoke up again and said, "You have good judgement in that regard, Elder. Ukyo is a fine investment prospect, one whom I was considering myself for a different sort of partnership, quite apart from our mutual engagements to the same iinazuke."

"Your praise of her is all the confirmation that I need of the wisdom of my selection," Cologne said, then finished her sentence with the Chinese words meaning: "Son-in-law."

Nabiki was finding it difficult to retain her smile as she shifted to Chinese herself and said, <"What are you really up to, you old hag? Why are you doing this to my friend?">

<"Friend indeed,"> Cologne sounded very amused, <"That is an interesting way to describe your rival, but then you Japanese do seem to have some interesting customs.">

<"Ukyo is not my enemy just because her father betrothed her to my Ranma!"> Nabiki hissed as pleasantly as she could manage.

<"Your Ranma?"> now Cologne's voice contained very little humor, <"And what about Shampoo?">

<"I will keep my word to her, which is none of your concern,"> Nabiki said flatly, <"Shampoo is my wife by the laws of Joketsuzoku. I will honor her in as much as I can, but you know such marriage is not legal in Japan…">

<"All the more reason for the both of you to return with me to Joketsuzoku,"> Cologne replied, <"But we are both being rude to our companions. Let us return to your country's barbaric language and save this discussion for later.">

Nabiki bit off an angry retort and forcibly turned it into a patently false laugh as she said, "Oh, Elder, you have a marvelously developed sense of humor! Is everyone from Joketsuzoku as good with a jest as yourself?"

"Not everyone," Cologne smiled, "But some are better at jests than others."

Kuonji-senior was looking at both of them with raised eyebrows, but his lawyer whispered something in his ear that seemed to set him at ease as he turned back to Ukyo and said, "I am sorry that I did not have time to inform you of this earlier, Ucchan. I would not blame you for being angry. I know how much you wanted this to be a private enterprise with only yourself as a tenant…"

"Tenant?" Ukyo asked with her own surprised expression.

"My Great Granddaughter and I intend to live in residence for the time being," Cologne replied, "There is enough room upstairs to accommodate us in separate rooms, Miss Kuonji, so you need not fear that we will intrude on your privacy. Indeed, outside of interacting with us during business hours you will hardly be aware of our presence."

Ukyo looked ready to explode, but Nabiki took her hand and moved closer to whisper in her ear, "I advise you to sign the contract. If I guess the situation right, Cologne is just waiting for you to make some fuss over her involvement that will not only kill the whole deal but create a barrier between you and your father. She would doubtlessly exploit that to force you to concede your other claims to Ranma. Either Perfume has told her the truth regarding you, or it's Ranma she's really after. Either way you'd come out the loser."

"I can't just let her get away with this!" Ukyo hissed back in an angry whisper.

"With any luck you may not have to," Nabiki replied, "Sign the papers and call her bluff. At the very least she'll be an annoyance you'll have to live with, but if she agrees to leave the management end to you, then you can hold that against her if she does try pulling something improper. This way you look good in your father's eyes without sacrificing control of your business. At worst Cologne becomes your not-so-silent partner. Either way I'll try and keep her off your back when I mount my own personal challenge."

"You'd better be right about this," Ukyo hissed, then turned at last and said, "What can I say, father? You've done the best you can for me, so I guess I'd better live up to my end of the agreement."

Kuonji beamed at her, "I am so proud of you, my child! The only way I could be happier than now would be on your wedding day, which I trust I will live to see. I am already confident that you would do well with such friends as this to advise you."

Ukyo gave Nabiki a studied look, then smiled, "Yeah, I guess you could call it luck. Well, might as well sign the papers…"

She reached for the pen laying upon the table and was about to print her name out in Konji when a knife suddenly protruded from the space between her hands. Ukyo stared in horror at the quivering thing, as did everyone else, including Cologne the Elder.

"I am sorry," a very masculine voice said from across the room in faintly accented Japanese, "But I cannot permit this. The old Ghoul is conning the lot of you while coming between me and what is rightfully mine."

"Who the hell are you?" demanded Ranma as he whirled around to glare at a very tall man with long black hair and coke bottle-thick glasses wearing a white Chinese outfit and radiating an aura of menace.

"Who am I?'" light seemed to gleam melodramatically off his glasses as he half-smiled at them all while Nabiki heard Shampoo gasp in recognition, followed by a different sort of noise from Perfume's direction.

"You!" Cologne uttered sharply, "How dare you interfere in Amazon business? Leave now and I may forget this unfortunate outburst!"

"And let you entrap this unfortunate young woman in one of your more obvious schemes?" the man said derisively, "You may be an Elder, but you are not my Family's Elder, and I am not obligated to obey when you are overstepping the very laws you claim so much to cherish."

"Excuse me," Nabiki said, "As fascinating as I find your sudden concern for the welfare of my friend, I'm afraid I share the surprise of the rest of my companions, so I'm forced to repeat my iinazuke's question; Who are you?"

"My name is Mu Tsu," the man replied, "But you can call me Mousse, as I'm sure you will," he noted with a slight wince, "As to what I'm doing here, I'm seeking to prevent a travesty! There is no way I will allow this Elder to force my future bride to marry another woman!"

"What's this?" Kuonji-senior asked in confusion, "Who is marrying whom? What's this about a bride being forced to marry another woman?"

"I fear that you have been grossly deceived sir," Mu Tsu replied, pointing dramatically with one hand at the woman in question, "Pur-Fum! I will not permit you to marry anyone else but me! Law or no law, you re the woman I intend to marry!"

"Mou," Nabiki sighed, "Why can't life ever be simple…?"

Continued

Comments/Criticism/Apoplectic fits?: Shadowmane@msn.com