Project A-Ko Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki 1/2 (A Very Scary Thought) ❯ The Razor's Edge... ( Chapter 48 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Nabiki 1/2

(A Very Scary Thought)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Based Upon the Altered Destinies Storyline

Inspired by the works of such fans as

Wade Tritshler

Richard Lawson

James Jones

And Many Others

Standard Disclaimer: This is inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and is not my original creation. All characters belong to her. This is only a fanfictional work, and is not intended to compromise the rights of the original owners, distributors and publishers of the Ranma series. I have no money to spare and would very much appreciate if no one tries to sue me.

"Can Shampoo ask Yo-yo girl a question?"

"Yo-yo girl?" Saki looked up in surprise at the purple haired girl sitting across from her.

Shampoo just smiled, "Airen say Detective use Yo-yo like weapon. Is ancient Chinese weapon, got turned into children's toy by stupid Westerners. Airen say you very good with weapon, learn use from mother?"

"Uh, yeah," Saki replied, "My mother taught me, and her mother taught her. It's sort of a generational thing, y'know? A yo-yo is light and easy to conceal and hardly anyone expects it to be as useful as I do. Can't always carry a gun when I'm undercover posing as a student…"

"Shampoo understand all that," Shampoo said as she poured their tea, "Is not question I mean to ask. No have explain use weapon taught by mother…"

"Okay, then excuse me for being a bit touchy," Saki shrugged, which was as near to an apology as she felt comfortable giving, "What did you mean to ask me, Mrs. Tendo?"

Shampoo smiled, delighted to be called that by this relative stranger, then in a more serious tone she said, "You mother…she have hair like you? You no dye it?"

"Oh," Saki said as she noted her long pink hair and just shrugged, "No, it isn't dyed, but I get asked that a lot. Back when I first got into trouble and they locked me up in the pen they expressly forbade me from using any kind of dying formula. I guess they just didn't believe me when I told them I never dyed my hair. After all, it's a pretty rare color…"

"Not among Amazons," Shampoo noted, deliberately touching her own purple locks, "Many in tribe have unusual colors. We very proud of hair, let grow long, sign of good status. Is old belief long hair mean have many strong children, Shampoo hope it so," she patted her abdomen with special meaning and smiled in a way that made her glow all over.

"Oh," Saki said, "You mean you're wondering if maybe I'm descended from you Amazons. The truth is…I just don't know a thing about it. Beyond my Grandmother my family's past is a mystery. I just know that my mother made a real mistake when she chose my father, a mistake that cost her everything and caused me more suffering than I need in a dozen lifetimes."

"Shampoo sorry if question make you uncomfortable," Shampoo said apologetically.

"Oh no, it's no problem," Saki smiled, "In fact it's kind of nice having somebody else who understands that it's not so weird being different. My old boyfriend…well, he thought it was kind of neat, finding out that I'm naturally this way," she gave a meaningful smile, which Shampoo returned, understanding her implicitly. She shifted in her chair then said, "Mind if I ask a question of my own? What exactly does it feel like…being married to someone like Tendo Nabiki?"

Shampoo cocked her head, "Why you want know? Think Shampoo no happy with marriage?"

"No," Saki assured her, "In fact that's just it. You look…happy. I mean…you kind of glow whenever you mention your Airen or hear Nabiki's name, and…well…the baby you carry…it's got to be really weird knowing you got that from another woman."

"How weird you want?" Shampoo smiled, "As weird as Airen who girl that turn into boy? Was as boy Shampoo meet Airen, still think that way, even when see Airen in true form. Shampoo loves her Airen, no see what wrong with having baby together."

"I see your point," Saki smiled, "And it's pretty obvious that Nabiki's very much in love with you. If anything I'm a little envious. I…never had the time for steady relationships. My last boyfriend…well, he was very understanding but…"

"You no can have marriage if no see groom most times?" Shampoo smiled, "Why you so interested in Shampoo marriage…or is it Shampoo you really ask about?"

"All right, you caught me," Saki smiled, "Truth is I…kind of identify with Nabiki on some levels. We're a lot alike in some ways…and, well…she reminds me a lot of me when I was her age…"

"Shampoo think you very right about that," Shampoo smirked knowingly as she blew on her tea then sipped it, "You like big sister to Nabiki Airen. You like girls or boys?"

"Uh, what?" Saki was caught off guard by the question, then blinked before she said, "Well…I suppose it just depends on the right person…never really thought about it either way."

Shampoo raised a purple eyebrow and said, "You be with girl before? Or is it men you like?"

"Ah…" Saki felt herself squirming as though she were under the heat lamp being given the third degree. Shampoo's pleasant, non-accusatory smile did put her somewhat at ease, but the memory was still a painful subject. She took a moment before saying, "I…knew a girl once…a very good friend of mine… and no, we never slept together, but I…think I liked her just the same. She was very different from me, not the sort of person who would ever hurt me or betray a trust and I…I failed her. Miserably. I've never been able to forgive myself for that…it almost feels like I betrayed her. I've tried to make peace with my ghosts, but…"

"You still feel haunted by thought of what might have been?" Shampoo said carefully, "You no mind have feelings for other girl?"

"I can't really say," Saki replied, "My feelings weren't sexual…at least I don't think they were. Back in the pen, however…well, you see a lot of that going on all around you. I was kept in solitary and wasn't allowed anywhere near the other prisoners. I was too dangerous, you see, and they wouldn't even let me wear shoe laces, and I had to go cuffed even when I went to the bathroom."

"What you do that so bad?" Shampoo asked in surprise.

"Killed somebody," Saki replied, "Actually I was innocent of that, but I had done a lot of bad stuff when I was in my old high school, and I was a pretty dangerous customer in those days, not exactly the sort of girl you take home to your mother."

"That hard to believe," Shampoo looked her over, "You seem nice girl. If you live in Joketsuzoku nobody think you any different from other girls you age. Is person they say you killed very important?"

"No," Saki said with a dark cast to her lovely features, "He was a real scumbag, but it wasn't me who killed him, it was a friend of mine…well, sort of like an understudy. It was self-defense, but she couldn't prove it, so I…kind of let them blame me for it instead…"

"You let them arrest you to keep friend out of trouble?" Shampoo said with open surprise, "Shampoo right, you very nice person. Good friend look out for others, very much like Airen."

"Well…" Saki said, "Not in every respect. For one thing, I don't change into anything when I get splashed with water…"

"Shampoo tell story," Shampoo smiled as she poured more tea then blew on her cup, "You listen?"

"Uh, sure," Saki said, "Is it a very long story?"

"Only story of Shampoo life," Shampoo looked genuinely amused at the uneasy glance of the woman sitting across from her at the tea table, "When Shampoo very little she learn two things in life: One, that she Amazon of strong family, great tradition, be best in village, one day be Matriarch like Elder. Second thing she learn: it very lonely at top, no can trust other girls Shampoo's age. She learn early to be loner, to trust no one and to always be strongest in village. Shampoo study hard, learn from Elder, gradually no spend much time with mother and father, not even younger sisters. Have no friends but be very good fighter, other girls no like. Shampoo beat up other girls her age, make them afraid of Shampoo, show respect for superior fighter. Shampoo learn be proud she good, best of generation.

"But Shampoo very lonely, not know why never happy being best. Being best everything to Shampoo, no have anything else, not know why it matter. Shampoo taught to hate weakness, never show weakness to other girls, learn get by without others. This way she live until day Elder tell Shampoo she now have cousin who train with, cousin who used to be girl Shampoo be mean to.

"Shampoo learn she no like being mean to other girls. Perfume-cousin adopted into family after real cousin do bad thing that bring shame to family. Shampoo no know why Elder think she need train with other girl. But Shampoo learn to trust Elder, do what Elder tells her. Elder always have good reason for why she do things. She say Perfume-cousin help make Shampoo better warrior, Shampoo try learning hard, and one day she understand lesson Elder teach her. Perfume-cousin no weak girl, have problem no her fault. She train, overcome problem, and soon she better than other girls her age, even better than Shampoo in some things. She good companion to train with, and soon Shampoo find she share other things with Perfume-cousin. We become good friends, tell each other many secrets, learn to trust with life. Perfume-cousin only girl she know, beside Airen, who she no can fear turning back to. We both grow strong, then one day make new friend with other girl in village…"

Shampoo paused, taking a deep breath before she continued, "Shampoo tell Airen story that she no first girl Shampoo sleep with. Other girl name Lo Xion, called younger because she named after Elder. Lo Xian have same problem Perfume have growing up, she no good as fighter. She try hard but she no live up to image of Elder, become girl others are mean to. Great Grandmother…I mean Elder…she think Lo Xian have other gifts besides be fighter, maybe train as something else. Shampoo think other girls too mean to Lo Xian, like Shampoo be to Perfume-cousin, so she go down to bullies and make stop being mean to Lo Xian…not know what this lead to."

"You don't say?" Saki smiled at that, "I take it this girl…Lotion? She was very grateful to you for saving her?"

"Yes, very grateful," Shampoo nodded with a serious expression, "Lotion become good friend to both Shampoo and Perfume, she much fun to be with, know many things, study herbal lore with Great Grandmother. Very soon Perfume-cousin and Shampoo train with Lotion. She no very good as fighter, but very good studying art, know much by looking. Great Grandmother think Lotion one day be good healer, study special touch techniques…what Japanese call Shiatsu?"

"Right," Saki nodded, "So your friend wanted to be a doctor?"

"Like Tofu-Sensei," Shampoo nodded, "Great Grandmother speak to other Elders, Lotion gain special status, renounce Warrior rights to walk path of healer. No everyone like, but Shampoo and Perfume protect Lotion from others. Was very lonely time for all of us, no other friends in village, only each other talk to and train with. Shampoo only fighter still in competition with other Warriors in village, no make friends when you beat up other girls all of time. Not know at first but Lotion get strong admiration for Shampoo, begin liking Shampoo as more than just friend."

"You mean she got a crush on you?" Saki smiled lopsidedly, "It's been known to happen."

"Yes, but big surprise when one day Lotion ask Shampoo for alone talk," Shampoo said seriously, "I no suspect what she have in mind until she ask me serious if we be friends. Of course Shampoo say yes. Lotion then ask if we be good friends and Shampoo no get what she ask until she lean over and kiss Shampoo on mouth. Was very big surprise, even bigger surprise that Shampoo like it."

"So, did the two of you…?" Saki hesitated, more from politeness than actual modesty.

Shampoo smiled, "What you think? Lotion teach Shampoo new meaning of friendship. After first time we find more excuses be alone when not with Perfume-cousin. She no suspect at first, but soon she follow us and discover what we do. After this she have talk with Shampoo, very worried that we upset Elder by no continue training."

"You mean your Great Grandmother wouldn't have approved?" Saki wondered.

"This happen two year ago when Shampoo training hard to become best of village," Shampoo explained, "If Lotion had been with Perfume there be no problem, but Great Grandmother think Shampoo be distracted. Also too young spend time make love to other girl, even girl no Warrior. Great Grandmother insist Shampoo work hard to gain status, then can think about having pleasures on own time. Also, Shampoo no discover until later that Perfume-cousin also want Lotion to be her special friend. It cause some bad moments with us in training…think maybe we both get jealous, very distracting."

"So what happened between you three?" Saki asked, then saw Shampoo's expression grow momentarily pained and had a suspicion that the rest of the story was not going to be that pleasant.

"Great Grandmother send Lotion away so she no cause bad blood between Shampoo and Perfume-cousin," she said simply, then her voice tightened as she added, "Later tell us Lotion die in accident caused by other Warriors. That night we no can sleep, Perfume-cousin and Shampoo cry where other warriors no see. After this we make up, promise never be angry with each other again. Shampoo promise self that she be great warrior in memory of Lotion, no let anyone else take place in her heart. Shampoo feel great emptiness, no can fill space with training. Think never be happy again, so become fierce instead when facing other Warriors, think maybe find and punish ones who cause Lotion's death. I very arrogant when win prize at yearly contest, think maybe Great Grandmother right and I destined for place as Elder. Then sneaky girl in boy-form come into Shampoo's life and make everything shambles."

"I've heard a little about this story," Saki mused, "An outsider boy challenged you and won over a table full of food that her uncle panda had just eaten. Sounds like you accepted the marriage part pretty well after that pledge you made against never falling in love again. You never wanted to feel pain again, the kind that's worse than any pain of the body."

"I know now it stupid promise," Shampoo smiled, "Boy who come to village most handsome man Shampoo ever see. Shampoo think he cocky, maybe teach lesson and bring him down a little. Shampoo tired after long day of fighting so she no very careful and lose fight. Boy very skilled and clever, Shampoo think him good fighter, maybe make good husband. He endure test of resolve, then share vows of marriage, and Shampoo feel very good about life. Boy is kind and shows concern for Shampoo welfare, have very nice smile, even nicer than Lotion. I suddenly very sure about marriage. Maybe boy fill empty space in heart and Shampoo put Lotion's ghost to rest, give strong children to family and tribe…"

"And then you found out she wasn't really a guy," Saki gently nodded, "I'll bet that was a kicker."

Shampoo closed her eyes and sighed, "Shampoo remember what it like, feel happy one moment, then feel betrayed next. Sneaky girl take advantage of Shampoo's trust, make Shampoo look like fool in eyes of village. Others no know Nabiki Jusenkyo-cursed, but think husband run away and desert her, make Shampoo look weak. Shampoo no care what they think until Great Grandmother come and tell Shampoo she have duty, must avenge herself by finding husband-wife, either bring home or punish. Shampoo make resolve to get even with sneaky girl who she think betray her."

"But when you finally caught up with Nabiki you had changed your mind about her?" Saki asked.

"Shampoo…very lonely…want very much what husband offer," Shampoo murmured with a distant expression, "That night we together was…special. Shampoo no believe it all just fake, want believe maybe sneaky girl care in spite of curse. Law scare her off, maybe it no Shampoo who scare her. Shampoo hunt down Airen and find out truth, then think maybe she no hate Nabiki after all. Airen is kind in spite of way Shampoo attack her, still better fighter than Shampoo. Shampoo suddenly find she no have reason to fight, only want Airen accept her, be Airen to Shampoo, boy or girl type."

"I see that her being a woman who turns into a guy isn't really such a problem for you," Saki mused.

"Amazons have law say Warrior no use Nannichuan," Shampoo replied, "Curse affect ability to have children, is danger tribe lose many strong warriors if curse become common. Amazon who break law can be banished from family, maybe even Joketsuzoku, but Nabiki-chan no Amazon by birth. She no choose Curse, so law make exception for outsider. Beyond this, no problem for Shampoo," the Amazon patted her belly once again and smiled meaningfully, "Is obvious advantage."

Saki had to smile at that, even as Kasumi made an appearance, bringing in a tray laid out with rice cakes and snack foods. She looked up at the elder Tendo daughter and saw a pleasant smile as Kasumi knelt down close to Shampoo and offered her a candied riceball. The whole scene was so homey and domestic that Saki was almost lulled off her guard and nearly failed to take notice of the angry red dot that suddenly appeared along the side of Shampoo's forehead.

It was a testament to Saki's reflexes that she was able to move as quickly as she did, spreading her arms wide as she sprung over the table to tackle both women to the floor, just instants before a sharp hiss split the air, and one instant later there was the sound of something impacting against the wall opposite to the doorway leading to the garden.

By that time Saki had rolled over her two charges and found cover behind the thick wood of the doorframe. She risked a glance outside and saw the red glow of the laser-tracking beam that had alerted her to danger. She judged the distance to the would-be assassin and was about to leap from cover, risking making herself a target, when she saw Kasumi starting to sit up and cried, "Get down, he's still out there!"

"Shampoo?" there was no mistaking the deep concern in Kasumi's voice as she touched her fingers to the forehead of the unmoving Amazon and came away with blood on her fingers. The eldest Tendo daughter stared at those fingers as if unable to comprehend what she was seeing, oblivious to the fact that she herself was a splendid target in her moment of distraction.

Sudden fear almost paralyzed Saki in that moment, a fear of history repeating itself, her mind filling with images that she had relived a thousand times since that awful day so many lifetimes past. The broken body, the overwhelming emptiness that turned to rage and self-loathing and the realization that someone very dear to her would never be a part of her life again because she had failed in her duty as a friend, she had not protected poor Junko…

Such fear, however, was an old companion that she had long ago learned to live with, so it was almost with mechanical swiftness that she made a certain practiced motion with her wrist that caused her favorite weapon to slip into her palm, and then it whipped to grasp Kasumi by her wrist so that she could be drawn out of the line of fire. Saki noted that Kasumi had the presence of mind to reach out to grab Shampoo so that she could also be dragged to relative safety.

Saki wasted no time examining the fallen Amazon's forehead and was relieved to discover that the bullet had only grazed her scalp. The wound bled profusely, of course, but Shampoo had taken no worse than a superficial crease to her skull and was merely dazed but in no real mortal danger. Her next task was in making Kasumi aware of this fact, then urging the eldest Tendo daughter to apply a rude compress over the wound to staunch the bleeding. Kasumi wasted no time tearing off a piece of her own blouse for the task and went about tending to Shampoo with almost motherly protection.

Thus satisfied that matters would be well in hand for the moment, Saki next turned her attention to their assailant, who had not fired another shot after the first volley. Whoever he was, he had missed several opportunities for a follow up shot. That implied that he might not still be there, but Saki was not ready to risk her own life on that possibility. Less than one minute had followed and the attack was not renewed, but seeing as she had no firearms herself the prudent course was to stay where she was and continue to protect the Tendo household.

Considering how Saki was renowned for being anything but prudent, it was a mark of her self control that she was able to sit still for as long as she had before Nabiki Tendo arrived on the scene and took everything in with one horrified exclamation.

"SHAMPOO!" Nabiki cried as she moved to the side of Kasumi, seeing only blood that covered part of the Amazon's face and the floor beneath her, "Oneechan?"

"I…all right," Shampoo managed to say weakly as she tried to sit up in spite of Kasumi's insistence. Saki finally got a good look at the blood that had yet to be cleaned away and felt her own grow cold in the realization of how close it had been. Another inch or two lower…

Nabiki at once cradled Shampoo in her lap and made her own discovery of the non-serious nature of the wound, but still her distress was starkly evident as she stared with very round eyes while Kasumi moved away a short distance and sat meekly beside her. As the realization that her Amazon bride was not in immediate danger finally penetrated she looked at Kasumi and spoke in a husky voice, "Oneechan…call Doctor Tofu."

"Hai," Kasumi replied, seeming grateful for the excuse to do something useful in the situation.

Saki slowly stood up, still in position behind the doorframe, watching Tendo Nabiki link fingers with the purple haired girl in her lap, somehow managing to keep the Amazon from attempting to stand in spite of Shampoo's stubborn insistence that she could manage it very well and did not wish to look weak in the eyes of her Airen. There was no mistaking the affection that passed between them, a look that made Saki acutely uncomfortable, as though she were an intruder in their lives, one who had barely any right to be present in the face of what silently passed between both women.

It was with some relief that she noticed that others were arriving on the scene, one of them a very old woman who leaned upon a gnarled wooden staff while Saotome Ranma, Perfume and Kuonji Ukyo escorted a bound and helpless figure between them. The man was obviously a gang member to judge by his appearance with hair done up in a Mohawk while his leather gear denoted him as an outlaw type. His burly arms were bound by a heavy rope and he was being led along by Ranma while Ukyo and Perfume each held their weapons at the ready.

The thing that got her attention, however, was the weapon Ranma carried in his other hand, a short-barreled rifle with an oversized muzzle that was part silencer, the kind of weapon one might use for shooting someone from a medium-ranged distance.

"Shampoo?" the old woman asked Saki as though expecting to be answered.

"She'll live," Saki said mechanically, her eyes locked on the would-be assassin.

"Are you all right?" Ranma asked as he looked at her, causing Saki a moment of confusion.

"So," the old woman said, once more commanding her attention, "You are the young policewoman who warned my daughter-in-law of the danger posed to her and her friends," the ancient Amazon Elder's gaze became more studied as she added, "Am I to take it you also saved the life of my great grandchild?"

"I…" Saki paused as the moment came to her of what she had done from simple reflex, "I was just doing my duty, looking out for the wife of a friend…"

"Some friend," Cologne said as she reversed her staff and pointed with the sharpened end, "I take it you risk your life like this for people you barely know on a regular basis?"

Saki followed the line of the old woman's gesture and touched her face, coming away with a faint trickle of blood that she had not been aware of. It took a moment to ascertain that it was indeed hers, which led to the conclusion that she had been close enough to Shampoo for the bullet to have grazed her cheek by the barest millimeter.

"And you," Cologne suddenly shifted her attention to their prisoner, who looked as though he had not come along quietly, "You dared to threaten my great grandchild. Are you sufficiently aware of the gravity of your actions?"

The man started to say something rather rude to Cologne's face but suddenly found it difficult to breathe as he got a sharp rap in his solar plexus. The glare from the others was sufficiently murderous to make him conscious of his helpless state, but still he tried to put on a show of bravado, no doubt secure in the belief that they would not do more than threaten and bluster.

"So," Saki forced herself to assume the mantle of a cop, even though her authority felt shaky under these circumstances, "A tough guy, huh? Bet you think there's not a lot we can do to you that the Ronin won't do worse?"

"Go f---" the man started to say when he gasped as Cologne's staff rapped him in a more sensitive area.

"You need a lesson in manners, Sonny," Cologne noted without warmth or humor.

"Let's play a game of true or false," Saki said as she made a show of cracking her knuckles, "You work for the Ronin, don't you?"

The man was not sufficiently recovered to reply, but his look was venomous, to say the least.

"I'll phrase the question differently," Saki said as she hooked two fingers into the man's nostrils and pulled him upright, "You work for the Ronin. Who is the Ronin working for? Who hired you thugs to strike at the Tendos?"

"Go fuck yourself…" the man managed to gasp out as Saki drew back her hand intending to get her point across.

The hand was intercepted, and Nabiki spoke at her side with deceptive calm, "Let me handle this, detective. I know how to make this clown talk."

Saki looked at her companion. Nabiki's eyes were cold and level, containing none of their usual warmth and detached amusement. There was no anger or discernable emotion, but Saki knew that look so well, having worn it herself that fateful time many years back when she had gotten her revenge upon three very wicked sisters.

"He's all yours," Saki replied as she stepped away, ignoring normal police procedure as she did not want to stand in the way of someone else with that kind of a mad-on.

Nabiki turned to her prospective victim and said simply, "Untie his hands, Ranma. He's not going anywhere, and I won't do this with a man who can't fight back."

"You sure?" Ranma asked, then saw the look his iinazuke gave him and quickly backed off, "Okay, but if he tries anything, he's toast."

"He's not going anywhere," Nabiki said as Ranma hastily untied the man's wrists, then stepped away and assumed a ready posture while Nabiki just remained where she was, her gaze fixed and level.

The thug took a moment to massage his wrists then smiled defiantly as he tensed his shoulders to try and make a break. The next instant he felt a palm-strike slap hard against his chest, which caused his whole body to freeze up in shock, though the pain did not come until a few seconds later.

"Let me see if I can clarify your position," Nabiki said, not seeming to have moved from the spot as the would-be assassin remained quivering in place, "You work for a man who calls himself the Road Ronin, and you believe that he is dangerous, and you fear him more than you think you need fear what will happen to you if you do not cooperate in this matter."

It was impossible to say that he saw Nabiki move, but suddenly the hoodlum's right side exploded into waves of searing agony that went on and on yet somehow did not block out his ability to hear her speaking.

"You are mistaken," Nabiki continued, hardly pausing as she struck again with such speed that the pain just seemed to literally burst forth from nerve endings on the left side of his body, "You will suffer in ways your feeble mind cannot even imagine. You will tell me what I want to know or I will give you pain unending. You will know such pain that you will beg the gods for release but be unable to move or speak, and pain will become your entire universe," again that explosive pain broke out on his right hip as Nabiki calmly continued, "You will beg your Master to kill you, but no release will be given. For what you have done I can show no mercy, but if you cooperate now I may let you live without pain, provided you show me how sincerely you regret your actions."

She made a show of drawing back her hand to deliver a fifth blow to the left hip, but now the man's brain was screaming out its protest, which somehow managed to find its way to his mouth as he gibbered out a hoarse apology with a promise to tell her everything he knew about the Ronin, and anything else on any subject she might want to ask besides this.

Ranma and Ukyo were both staring at Nabiki with round eyes, as much appalled at her tone as the brutality with which Nabiki continued the interrogation. She did not have to strike the bandit as her merest expression of displeasure proved enough to send him into a panic attack, and in virtually no time at all he explained to her the nature of the Road Warrior organization, its size and numbers and source of financial backing.

It turned out they were indeed a bit more than the low-rent thugs that the police tended to dismiss them as. They were into everything, drugs, prostitution, white slavery, extortion, weapons smuggling, kidnapping and murder. The man gave a blunt confession of a series of brutal crimes in which he had participated with added testimony to other crimes he knew about by association. The Warriors worked freelance for anyone who would pay for their services and they recruited their number from the dregs of biker gangs and urban riff-raff, anyone who liked beating people up for fun and had no scruples about the means they used to maintain their mobile empire of modern-day raiders.

They had been hired on this occasion to assist a local gang lord who claimed Furinkan as a part of his territory, whose operations on campus had been severely disrupted by Nabiki's housecleaning, and who considered the Tendo family a general nuisance because he did not control them. The warriors had been told to act in strength for this occasion so that they could make an example to any other prospective heroes who might think themselves above paying fealty to this gang lord, who also happened to be the uncle of the former Sempai whom Nabiki had deposed and caused to be arrested.

"So this is about revenge," Nabiki said matter-of-factly, "And what do you know about the Ronin himself?"

"Nothing, I swear to you, I don't know anything!" the man was nearly in tears as he stared wide-eyed, clearly expecting to be punished, "He formed the Warriors about a year ago…nobody knows his real name or where he comes from, only that he's from someplace north of Tokyo and studied some kind of kick-ass Martial Arts system. Man, I don't even want to describe what I've seen him do to people who cross him! It's not just pain…he…he makes them up and explode…"

"It is as I thought," Cologne remarked, "The man is obviously an outcast from his own clan, and I believe I know which clan that is. This is very bad, my child. If what I believe is true then you are not yet ready to face this man in mortal combat."

"I don't care," Nabiki's voice finally started to show her emotion, "For what he tried to do there can be no mercy…"

"You'll hardly find any disagreement from me on that score," Cologne replied, "But if you must go against him, then you will need to be prepared. I can give you such assistance as I may, but it will require harsh training and no small amount of self-sacrifice…"

"Fine," Nabiki interrupted, giving the man one final stare as she added, "Tell what you just told me to the police or I'll come looking for you. I don't care whether you fear me or the Ronin more, you tell them what you know or I'll carry out my promise. You're on borrowed time, make the most of it."

With that she delivered one more quick blow to the man's forehead, and he suddenly slumped to the ground, unconscious. Nabiki knelt down and did a double finger-strike to the opposite sides at the base of his jaw then stood away and said, "He's all yours, Detective. Cuff him and make sure I never set eyes on this punk again."

"No problem," Saki said as she bent down to roll the man over before placing a pair of handcuffs around his wrists, "Hope you weren't too rough on him or my boss will make me regret it."

"Don't worry," Nabiki assured her, "You won't find a mark on him, at least none that a lawyer could make use of. I know my business."

"No fooling," Saki gave her a side-smirk, reclaiming the rifle from Ranma, "Mind teaching me some of those moves? They could sure come in handy in this business."

"Maybe later," Nabiki said as the anger seemed to drain out of her once the thug was carried away by Saki and Ukyo, leaving Ranma to look at her with a questioning expression.

Of those present only Perfume seemed unaffected by the rare display of Nabiki's temper. If anything, she gave an approving nod Nabiki's way as though admiring her methods. Cologne herself seemed favorably inclined towards the Middle Tendo daughter, commenting with an almost amused tone of voice, "Interesting technique. If I did not know better I'd suspect you had extensive Amazon training."

"Try Korean," Nabiki sniffed, "An old guy I met there came from this tiny village called Sinanju and…well…that's kind of a long story and…"

"Airen?" Nabiki turned to see that Shampoo was at her side again, still covering her wound with a fresh cloth but looking fairly steady, all else being considered. Doctor Tofu was hovering nearby with Akane, Ryoga, Keiko and Kodachi in attendance. Shampoo's eyes were remarkably clear and bright as she regarded Nabiki with something more than simple warmth. The look she gave her Airen was tantamount to a small inferno of support and desire.

In the light of that gaze Nabiki felt the last dregs of her anger drain away, to be replaced by other emotions far too complex to describe, but which included equal amounts of shame and longing. In an almost timid voice she said, "You almost…"

"What is almost?" Shampoo asked matter-of-factly, "You think Shampoo no be strong enough to ignore little thing like that? Never would have happen if Shampoo not relax her guard. You no need apologize for being late back from battle. Shampoo…very proud of way Airen defend her just now."

"Yes," said another voice, more surprising in that the speaker was the last one from whom Nabiki would have thought to find approval, "You did that very well. Father will be pleased at the way you have defended our house. I doubt that fellow will have a lot of time to think about what he has done and make proper restitution."

"Oneechan?" Nabiki asked as she looked towards Kasumi, who was smiling back at her, once more restored to the picture of tranquility, however briefly she had been touched by the near tragedy of events.

"I'm also very proud of the way you handled yourself there, my dear," said a voice whose approval was not at the top of Nabiki's list, but nonetheless made her glance down to see Master Happosai smiling up at her before he passed something into her hand and said, "Here, I believe I meant for you to have this."

Nabiki took the scroll he offered her, remembering their talk from before as she quickly unrolled it and again found the chart with the various pressure points indicated in kanji.

"What's this?" Cologne said with interest as she glanced at the scroll then gave Happosai as scornful glance, "The Moxibustion Chart you stole from those temple priests?"

"Close," Happosai said, "It gives an outline of some of the most important nerve-centers in the human body that can render an opponent helpless, regardless of his strength or training. I thought it might be of help if my Apprentice studied it for a while to memorize those significant…"

"Your Apprentice?" Cologne said crossly, "And what do you expect to teach her? How to steal lingerie from helpless women? Tendo Nabiki is my Daughter-in-law and a worthwhile disciple for teaching the 3000-year-old secrets of the Amazons…"

"Oh posh!" Happosai said, "You know our ancestors picked up bits and pieces of it here and there from all over Asia then tried to pretend that they had invented these systems in the first place."

"Blasphemy," Cologne hissed, "I would expect nothing less from an outcast such as you…"

"Outcast?" Ranma said, "What, are you two related or something?"

"I thought you were Japanese, Gramps," Nabiki favored the old man crossly.

"Did I ever say I was born in this country?" Happosai smiled, "I've been lots of different places in my time, girl. In the last three hundred years you tend to put in a lot of mileage…"

"Mind if I say something?" Akane suddenly spoke up, "Dad, Uncle Genma and Aunt Nodoka will be home pretty soon and the place is a mess. Should we try to clean it up or would that mean tampering with a crime scene?"

"Oh my!" Kasumi said, "I hadn't thought of that! Tofu-Sensei, would you be so kind as to help me straighten up a little?"

"Ah?" suddenly Doctor Tofu lost his professional calm as he turned towards Kasumi with a sudden inability to focus on the here and now that had become a legend throughout Nerima.

Nabiki allowed herself one smile, then turned to both of her Mentors and said, "We need a War Council. Help me find a way to beat this monster who calls himself the Ronin."

"You have my vow on this, child," Cologne said gravely, "For his vile assault against both of my great granddaughters he has earned the divine retribution of Amazon justice. For this matter, however, I may need to call upon the services of an old acquaintance I knew from many years long ago. If he is willing to help in this, we may yet find a way to bring down this self-proclaimed Ronin and his outlaw band of raiders."

"A good idea," said Saki as she and Ukyo appeared with two uniformed cops behind them, "While we're on the subject, I think I'll call in a favor of my own and get you some help. Department heads may frown on the idea of a civilian carrying out a personal vendetta, but I think I can convince them to look the other way on this if it means cracking this case wide open. Meanwhile, I hope you don't mind if these people here gather some evidence from the crime scene."

"Just so long as I can clean up after you're done," said Kasumi alertly.

"Indeed," Cologne favored Saki with another one of her curious expressions, "Perhaps your aid, too, may be welcome in this matter."

"Fine," Nabiki nodded, "You people do what you have to. In the meantime," she gave her friends a close study then said grimly, "We have another line of business to pursue. The Ronin was hired by a local gangster who seems to think his toes were being stepped on." Her expression became grim again as her voice lowered, "If he thought they were being stepped on before, he's about to find out what real inconvenience feels like…"

Continued

Comments/Criticism/Flames of Eternal Perdition: Shadowmane@msn.com