Project A-Ko Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki 1/2 (A Very Scary Thought) ❯ Akiko's Choice... ( Chapter 69 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Nabiki 1/2

(A Very Scary Thought)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Based Upon the Altered Destinies Storyline

Inspired by the works of such fans as

Wade Tritshler

Richard Lawson

James Jones

And Many Others

Standard Disclaimer: This is inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and is not my original creation. All characters belong to her. This is only a fanfictional work, and is not intended to compromise the rights of the original owners, distributors and publishers of the Ranma series. I have no money to spare and would very much appreciate if no one tries to sue me.

"Tendo Natsume!"

Kurumi looked up from her leaf-raking in disbelief and exclaimed, "Him again? Doesn't he ever give it up?"

"Kuno very stubborn and stupid," Shampoo conceded in equal annoyance, "But even for him this very stubborn and stupid. Him no learn he wasting time making challenge."

"Never mind you two," Natsume said as she passed them heading for the door, "I will answer his challenge. Three straight defeats should make him see reason."

Kurumi and Shampoo exchanged dubious looks, but Kasumi looked up from her laundry and remarked, "Tatawaki wishes to challenge you again, Neechan? Oh my, he's never been this persistent with Akane."

"And why am I so favored?" Natsume wondered as she took a defensive pose with her rug beater in one hand, which same she had moments before been employing for once as its designer had intended.

"Tendo Natsume!" Kuno advanced into the yard with a strange look in his eyes that seemed in equal parts to mix fever with passion, "I come at last to defeat you and prove decisively that I, Kuno Tatawaki, am worthy of your attention! Prepare to meet the wrath of the Blue Thunder as he visits Heaven's vengeance on you, most worthy of all women."

Natsume sighed, "If I am so worthy of your interest, why is it necessary that you defeat me?"

"Because a warrior with your spirit cannot lower herself to date with lesser men," Kuno raised his bokken in salute then assumed an offensive crouch, "Only the best of all mortal men can hope to aspire to be worthy of a goddess of your stature, and I am that worthy mortal, my Diana! Have at thee!"

The fight went pretty much the same as the previous two days with Kuno lunging towards Natsume with overconfidence radiating in his gesture. This time, however, he totally overcommitted himself and left too great an opening for it to have been natural. As Natsume side-stepped his thrust and brought her rug-beater into play she wondered if it were some manner of feint to lure her off guard and was very surprised to find him crumple to his knees at the merest touch of her weapon to the back of his head.

Natsume stared down at the boy who had fallen too easily for her liking, wondering where all of his artistry of the previous two days had vanished. She was so intent in studying his prone form that she almost missed the appearance of the gnome-like Master Happosai, who also seemed surprised at the speed of his dispatch.

"That's it?" the little Master sounded both disappointed and disturbed, "The boy goes down from that little love-tap of yours? Is that all that's left of his will and determination?"

"I do not understand, Master," Natsume admitted her confusion, "I did not hit him that hard."

"Hmm," Happosai stroked his chin while looking down, "Something's not right here. They boy may not be the best fighter in the world but he's had better training than this. A real mystery…"

"What mystery?" Shampoo said with a snort of indifference as she and Kurumi came up to join them, "Kuno always braggart, think him better than everybody. Him bound to hit limits one day."

"Small loss," Kurumi agreed, "You should let me handle him, Oneechan. I'd be happy to send this fool packing the next time he shows his face here."

"Aren't you two even remotely curious about why this fellow's skill seems to have deserted him so suddenly?" Natsume voiced her own mild irritation as she knelt down over the boy to feel his brow, amazed to find a temperature there, "He's burning up!"

"Oh my," Kasumi said as she also joined them, "You don't suppose the poor boy is sick, do you? Should I go call Doctor Tofu?"

Shampoo blinked her eyes then hastily said, "Ah, better let me, Kasumi-chan. You still have laundry to do, and that more important than Kuno."

"Hmm," Happosai said again with a thoughtful expression, reaching down to lift one of Kuno's eyelids so that he could study the eye itself from close inspection, "Sick you say? Looks more to me as if he's suffering withdrawal symptoms. Notice how his eye's dilated?"

"Eh?" Natsume looked closer then saw that Kuno's exposed iris was wider than normal, "You're right! He does have that glazed look about him that suggests drug addiction. How sad…he must be one of those who use artificial means to bolster his school performance."

Shampoo was about to dismiss the point when a sudden thought occurred to her and she noted, "Drugs you say? Shampoo never hear him like that. Sound more like stupid Rose girl…"

"You mean Kodachi?" Kasumi asked with a puzzled expression, "Oh my! And Akane is so close to her, the same way Ranma is close to Tatawaki. I've never heard that either one of them was under some special form of medication."

"It might not be voluntary," Happosai sniffed, "I doubt it's prescribed, although you never call tell these days with most doctors. Maybe we should let that Tofu fellow make his own diagnosis…but I have a sneaking suspicion we may have found out why this boy gave such a poor showing today."

"Oh?" Natsume looked at the ancient Master with keen interest, "What makes you think that, Master?"

"Think about it," Happosai's eyes twinkled with amusement, "His sister's been out of town for the better part of a week and he started acting peculiar on the first day when he issued his challenge. I don't claim to know the fellow as well as either Ranma or Akane, but I've never heard of him coming around here like this so eager for a beating. I think he started having withdrawal symptoms about that time, and it's been getting steadily worse the past three days. From the look of exhaustion on his face I doubt he's had much sleep and very little food. The body tends to get like that when denied what it's really after."

"So he's an addict, huh?" Kurumi sniffed, "Figures. I knew when I first saw him that the guy was nothing but trouble."

"How horrible!" Natsume exclaimed, "Are you saying that he may have been taking drugs supplied by his own sister? What if it was some kind of poison?"

"In that case he would have gotten better once it got cut off," Happosai said, "Not worse, unless it's been the antidote she's been feeding him. Either way, I think it's a good idea if we call on the services of the good Doctor Tofu."

"I make call," Shampoo said as she hastily turned away, all the while thinking on what she had seen in the eyes of Natsume. Her prospective sister-in-law was showing obvious concern for Tatawaki Kuno, which did not bode well in her eyes with a desirable implication. Kurumi's own troubled expression mirrored her own in regards to how Natsume seemed to be allowing herself to develop sympathy for the Kendo artist. She would have to report on this to Nabiki when she returned, fully aware of how her Airen would react to the prospect of having Kuno for an in-law.

She wished her husband/wife a speedy return from her adventures, hoping everything was well, then silently chiding herself for lacking the faith to believe that Nabiki would triumph over whatever challenge she was presently confronting. She had to believe this, it was the only thing that kept her sane as she tried to hold it all together for the sake of her new family, three members of whom were already beginning to feel to her like sisters.

Shaking off her moody state she returned to the house and began to dial the number to Tofu-Sensei's office…

Lao stood with her hands held to the sides of Akiko's temples, eyes closed as her fingers probed the demure Japanese woman with great delicacy, then at last she pulled away and sighed, turning to look at the anxious faces all around her.

"You were right, Great-Grandmother, she has had special training," Lao informed Cologne's tired expression, "I had thought I had seen all kinds of mental conditioning, but this one is special, and if I didn't know any better I would say it showed Amazon training."

"You are very close," Cologne replied, "A variation on the Xi Fang Xiao, known only to one order that was founded by a renegade Amazon from before your time. I knew her from long ago, a very competent Master of the art and quite ruthless, even by our standards."

"She must be real hell if that's true," Nabiki snorted, earning a sour look from the Elder, "So what exactly did they do with Arigami-san?"

"Nothing much," Lao shrugged, "Basic Pleasure Slavery routine, with an alternate personality cued by special conditions where she reverts to being an assassin. Nothing major-league of course, just quick jabs and killing strokes delivered at close range…"

"The perfect sleeper," Chun-Li said aloud, "In a manner of speaking."

"Did you just make a joke?" Cammy lifted her eyebrows, earning a sour look from the other woman, "Wonders never cease."

"You mean to say she's been trained to kill on command?" Ranma asked with a puzzled look.

"Oh yes," Lao said grimly, "Once she lulls her prey into a false sense of security she strikes with absolutely no warning whatsoever. A very professional job, I could admire such handiwork if it wasn't so appalling."

Guile knelt down as he looked up at Akiko, then said, "How are you doing, kid?"

Akiko found it difficult at first, but with some effort she actually managed to smile back at him, "I have done better…Guile-san. You are looking most well I am happy to see, and Keiko-chan…"

"I'm here, Mom," Keiko knelt down in front of her mother, who was sitting on a sofa inside the house, where everyone had gathered after having finished tying up the last of Phat's henchmen, "I'm so glad that you're alive and everything. There's so much I want to tell you…so many things have happened…"

"I suspect we each have stories we would like to share," Akiko said with a faint smile of hope before looking at her hands again with a sigh, "But first…I have to come to terms with what I seem to have become. I know this must be surprising to some of you, but I…am finding it somewhat difficult to reconcile memories with recent experience. I know that my Master…my…the man I have lived with for the past four years of my life…trained me to be very good at…certain skills, but…it never really sank in until now just what I have been doing at his request on…more than one occasion."

"You mean…?" Akane hesitated to complete her question, but Nabiki shook her head grimly then said, "How much do you remember?"

Akiko took her time in answering, then softly murmured, "Too much…there is blood on my hands…and not simply from this man…" she inclined her head towards the pool area, where Phat's body still rested, alongside his bandaged and unconscious nephew.

"But why do this to you?" Ryoga asked in confusion, "Why teach you to kill? I thought they wanted you…uh…for other stuff besides that…"

"Isn't it obvious, Ryoga-kun?" replied Kodachi in a very sad voice, "No one suspects a woman like her of harboring lethal intentions. That makes her the perfect weapon, one who can be used and discarded if she becomes inconvenient."

"Inconvenient?" Keiko turned an angry look towards Kodachi, then slowly got up and came to stand in front of her lover and friend, "My mother isn't inconvenient!"

"I know," Kodachi replied, "To you she is important, a human being with rights and needs, but to people such as the ones who trained her to kill…" she shook her head sadly, "She is a weapon, to be used and discarded as needed."

Keiko stared at Kodachi as if wanting to deny what she was saying, but then she turned to see the sad look in her mother's eyes, pivoted with a glare at Lao and growled, "Who did this to her?"

"At a guess I would say it was the 108 Dragons," Lao replied with a sage look, "I know their leader, he is an honorable man, but many in the organization are not as scrupulous in their methods. Her former owner is a case in point, quite obviously a ruthless professional who saw it as in his interest to raise Akiko-san from pretty courtesan to trained assassin. Judging from the way she killed just now I think she has been programmed with certain key commands, no doubt triggered by certain words, situations or phrases. In this case she killed Phat before he had a chance to reveal the identity of the Tai Pan who trained her. No doubt she has other imperatives placed in her subconscious to activate her killing mode when the opportunity presents itself and it would be in the best interest of her Master."

"When Phat was going to kill her he said something about being given instructions from the guy for doing her when she no longer was of use to him," said Ken with a queasy expression, "Oh man, Chun-Li… does that ever take me back a few years."

"Don't remind me," Chun-Li said with a haunted look as she stared at the ground, while Bison and Cammy also seemed to be momentarily lost in the spaces.

"No doubt you have several self-preservation imperatives also incorporated in your make-up," Lao resumed, looking directly at Akiko, "No doubt you interpreted one of them as extending to protecting the life of your daughter. When Phat threatened you both I saw the look in your face…I should have realized at that moment that you were determined to kill him."

"Can it be undone?" Guile asked with a worried expression.

"It is reversible," Lao replied, "But it would take time and great patience from someone who knows what they are doing. The 108 Dragons are very thorough in covering their tracks…and I would not put it past them to incorporate a self-destruct program if someone attempts to deprogram her in an improper way. It might be something as simple as to turn off her self-protect imperatives with a secondary suggestion on how to place herself in a life-threatening situation. It could be something more complex such as a command to commit suicide, or even to cause her heart to stop beating. I have heard of cases such as hers where even more extreme measures were applied to terminating the life of an agent who has outlived her services. I…do not think you would care to hear some of the more lurid details…"

"I think the next obvious question is who can do it," Ukyo noted softly, giving Lao a hard look of suspicion.

Lao turned to Cologne and said simply, "I, of course, have the training, but this is a delicate case and could no doubt be best attended to by you, Elder."

Cologne looked troubled as she stared at the anxious Akiko before replying, "I know what would need to be done, but it is a complex operation involving the re-routing of various impulses and subconscious thought processes, and it has been many years since I handled a case this complex. Shampoo would be a better candidate as I can coach her through the areas where her inexperience might limit her effectiveness, but I would be reluctant to risk her…"

"Risk her?" Nabiki asked with a note of concern, "How?"

"In all likelihood," the Elder answered, "She is also programmed to attack the one attempting to undo her programming. The risk is that Shampoo may drop her guard in order to reach her deepest levels where the imperatives are the most intense…"

"All this talk of programming," Ranma said uncomfortably, "It's like you're treating her like some kind of a computer…'

"That's what the human brain is, kid," Bison shrugged, "A pretty complex piece of hardware, and like any system it's just a matter of loading in the wrong kind of software…"

"In your case it didn't take much of a virus," Cammy sniffed.

"Look who's talking," Chun-Li growled, "MI-6 assassin…"

"Hey!" Cammy rounded on her, fists bawled in anger, "You trying to start something, Zahn?"

"More like finish unfinished business," Chun-Li glared at her, "Or are you forgetting how Vega once sent you after my father?"

"How can I forget it!" Cammy threw up her arms in exasperation, "You never let me forget it! Nobody lets me forget how I used to work for hire as a freelancer! You bloody hell well know that I never had any choice in the matter, anymore than Mister Golden Gloves here…"

"Yeah," Bison snorted, "And let's not leave out the part where you tried to snuff me once…"

"So I wasn't perfect," Cammy shrugged, "I could always use more practice…"

"THAT IS ENOUGH!" Guile roared as he got back to his feet and glared at his most intimidating, "You two have been acting like a couple of angry teenagers ever since we started out on this trip and I, for one, am sick and tired of playing your nursemaid! Either you both get over it or I'm taking you both over my knee, and I really mean that!"

"You know you're really cute when you're infuriated, Boss man?" Cammy said with an innocent expression, earning a very dirty look from Chun-Li's direction.

In spite of everything Akiko found herself smiling, and when Kodachi noticed this she asked, "May I ask what you find so amusing, Arigami-san?"

"Those two," Akiko replied, "How long have they been in love with you, Guile-san?"

"Huh?" Guile looked totally startled by the question, while both Cammy and Chun-Li sobered with matching looks of round-eyed astonishment.

"What makes you say a thing like that?" Akane asked Akiko.

"The same way I know that you and the boy share feelings for each other," Akiko smiled at Akane and Ryoga knowingly, "Or that you have very strong feelings for my daughter," she said to Kodachi.

"What?" Guile blinked twice in even greater confusion, while Keiko and Kodachi both colored a bright crimson.

"I see you have other skills besides sticking people you don't like in sensitive places," Nabiki noted to Akiko with a sardonic smirk.

"It is not very hard when you have been trained to see things with clear eyes and an open heart," Akiko sat more upright as the sensation of freedom slowly permeated her consciousness, "And how long have you been engaged to this boy who seems so reluctant to leave your side, Tendo-san? I won't even go into what I know about those two," she gave Ukyo and Perfume a knowing look that made both girls suddenly appear nervous.

"Well," Lao said aloud, "As fascinating as all of this is, I believe that it is time that we take our leave of this establishment. It will not be too long before someone on the mainland becomes aware that there has been a lot of activity on this island."

"Just don't forget about our agreement," Nabiki pointedly reminded her.

"But of course," Lao replied with a winning smile, "Your missing people will be returned to you as promised, both Hinako-Sensei and the charming Mister Blanka…"

"Don't forget about Mousse," Akane noted.

"Ah," Perfume hesitated, "Must we?"

"Yeah," Ukyo gave Lao a professional look, "How much would you take to keep him in that cage for a little while longer?"

"That depends," Lao smiled, "I am not an unreasonable person, I could give you a good bargain…"

"As much as I'm tempted to go along with that deal," Nabiki sighed, "It really wouldn't be a nice thing to do…even to Mousse. As much as I hate to say it, we'd better bring him back to Nerima."

"As you will," Lao replied, turning to leave, "Lotus, Blossom, have our people convene on the docks. We are leaving immediately and I want everyone ready to travel."

"Lao-sama," Keiko suddenly spoke up, her tone at once as deferential as when she had been chained and garbed in the manner of a Harem slave.

"Yes?" Lao gave her a curious look, almost of expectation.

"Madam," Keiko seemed to select the word carefully before she continued, "Oh behalf of my mother, I ask that you take her with you and help restore her to what she was..."

"What?" Ranma gasped.

"Are you serious?" Guile looked horrified.

"Are you nuts?" Ryoga said more directly.

"Kei-chan," Nabiki said more evenly, "What do you think you're doing?"

"I'm doing what I believe is right for my mother," Keiko turned to Akiko and said, "You need help, Mom, and Lao's the best there is at this stuff. I can't do it, Elder Cologne is reluctant to try and neither of her two great-granddaughters have sufficient training. You said it yourself, my lady, you're the one who knows how to undo what those Dragons did to my mother. I know you can help her…"

"And I am willing to try," Lao replied, "I owe you at least that much, Kei-chan, but…realistically speaking…I don't think your idea is very popular with the others."

"I don't care," Keiko stated flatly, "This doesn't concern them, this is between you, me and my mother."

"I know you want what's best for her," Nabiki told Keiko, "But I don't think you're being very objective about it…"

"Oh yeah?" Keiko rounded on Nabiki, "A lot you know! You've only seen Lao Kung the way you want to see her, the last two days she's been nothing but the enemy to you, and you've done everything you can to vilify and take her down for what you think she is, but I've known her a lot longer than I've known any of you guys and I say she can be trusted. What's the worst that can happen? Mom's already been trained to be both a slave and an assassin."

"But Keiko-chan," Akane reasoned, "She's a criminal…"

"Oh, and that's some kind of a newsflash?" Keiko scoffed, "Guess what? I already figured that out! And besides, she's also my friend. She took care of me when there was nobody else who could do so, she gave me back my reason to live and taught me to be strong in ways you can't even suspect. If she's done it for selfish reasons, then I'm grateful anyway, because without her I can pretty confidently say I wouldn't even be standing here today, so think about that when you're judging her by your standards!"

"This isn't open to negotiations," Guile moved around until he was standing before his daughter, looking down at her with a hard look that was also mixed with a good deal of concern and admiration, "I know you've got loyalty to the people who you think have looked out for you, and I don't pretend that I've done anything in the last ten years that entitles me to the same kind of respect, but you have to know in your heart that this lady is a cold-hearted killing machine who treats people like objects she can buy and sell like…"

"May I be permitted to speak here?" Akiko asked, silencing everyone by the very calm and matter-of-fact way that she phrased the question. She stood up from the sofa, then turned around and faced Madam Lao directly, "It seems that I am not the only one here who needs to learn that I am no longer without a voice in the running of my own life. I have heard the arguments on both sides, now I will ask you on my own behalf if you will help me to overcome this thing that I seem to have become…"

"What?" Ken reacted.

"Y-you can't be serious!" Chun-Li stammered.

"This is nuts," Bison shook his head as if to clear it.

"Hear me out," Akiko stated calmly, turning a look towards Guile that was both intensely personal and in some ways almost pleading, "For four long years I have lived through what I can only call a walking nightmare. I have done things that I cannot bear to repeat, and the shame is too great for me to live with. If I return home as I am I will only bring shame upon myself, as I would my family if they still acknowledged my existence, but I would also pose a clear and evident threat to myself and those around me. I would not need a command imperative to wish to end my life, but I find that I am not willing to embrace suicide either since I have many years to catch up upon and would prefer to do so with my daughter and…if he accepts…my cherished husband."

Guile blinked, almost staggering as those last words hit him.

"There is also the danger," Akiko resumed, "That my…imperatives might become active beyond my ability to control. I could hurt someone without meaning to, and that is a risk I am not willing to take, another reason to end this matter as swiftly as it can be concluded. Please…if you care for me, then allow me to do this. I know what is at stake here better than anyone else in this room. I would not wish to come home as I am, so unless certain steps are taken to correct what has been done to me, then I dare not leave here at all."

"We can get you the best doctors to help out," Guile pleaded, taking Akiko by her arms in his huge hands with a tenderness that made both Cammy and Chun-Li swallow, "We were able to deprogram Bison and Cammy…"

"I doubt very much that their condition was the same as mine," Akiko replied, "I am very much aware of what a ticking time bomb I have become and I would prefer to have the fuse extinguished. When this is done I can come home…and then we can renew our relationship and get to know one another once again. I may have changed too much to regain your interest, and perhaps you have changed as well…although I very much doubt this," she added with an affectionate smile, "Besides…there are other parties who have an interest, and if I wish to remain competitive I had best regain my complete composure."

Ranma was looking at Nabiki, who was scowling fiercely, "Nab-chan…?"

"I'm thinking about it," Nabiki grit her teeth and glared, "I don't want to say this, but if Elder Cologne can't undo this…"

"Not can't," Cologne replied, "But the matter requires a younger woman in better physical shape than myself, willing to risk the consequences should the process of unlocking Arigami-san's mind involve touching as many deeper levels as I suspect it would. My great-granddaughter has the training and the skill, and obviously the stamina it will take to accomplish this. Since Arigami-san and her daughter are both willing, it seems to my old heart to be the most acceptable arrangement."

"Acceptable?" Akane blurted, but before she could say more Nabiki turned a harsh look towards Lao and said, "What guarantees would we have that you won't take her someplace else and sell her?"

"And who would I know that I dislike enough to do that?" Lao replied with a lifted eyebrow, "She is a weapon trained to kill, a pretty package concealing an explosive compound. This is no small task I am being asked to undertake her, and neither is it a particular pleasure considering the risks I would be taking."

"Fine," Keiko said, "Then take me with you. I'll do anything you ask if it means helping my mother."

"Now wait a minute…" Guile started up again.

"No," said Honda, startling everybody as he pushed his way to the center, leaving Bison standing where he was with a stunned expression, "Now just hold on here a minute, Colonel, all of you guys. Take a moment and consider this, okay? You heard what the lady was saying a moment ago? It's either this or she might wind up committing hara-kiri. It's what any Japanese lady with an ounce of integrity might do in her situation. You really want to risk that, Guile? I sure as hell wouldn't."

"You feeling all right, buddy?" Ken asked the Sumo.

"As a matter of fact no," Honda glared at him, "I had a younger sister once…some guy she was dating wouldn't take no for an answer, beat her up pretty badly, and I think maybe even did a lot worse. When she got out of the hospital she tried to kill herself. I hunted that guy down and made him apologize for dishonoring her…right before I put him in the hospital. You ask me, this lady's been through hell and I don't even want to think about what she's feeling at the moment. I say we let the Pirate lady have a try at straightening her out. She's got nothing else to lose except her honor."

"Well spoken," Lao nodded, "And just to prove to those of you who still have believe that I am entirely lacking in honor I give my word to Elder Cologne that I will not take advantage of Akiko-san or try to switch her loyalties to me or in any way abuse my trust. I will simply do what is necessary to help her ease her conscience and remove the stigma that is presently upon her, and I will return her to you within four months time a whole and fully restored woman much like what you remember, Colonel Guile. If I break my word or violate this pledge, then you may punish me in whatever way you see fit, Great Grandmother. I will do what is right by Arigami Akiko and her daughter, whose loyalty and affection I greatly prize beyond all other treasures, or you may decide my fate as your conscience dictates. If the lady is willing to trust herself to me, then I will not betray that trust on the name of my ancestors, may they judge and punish me if I oathbreak."

"An acceptable vow," Cologne nodded, "One I will hold you to. Daughter-in-law?"

Nabiki tried one more time, "What if Perfume and Shampoo were to work together…?"

"Ah," Perfume spoke up again, "I not know as much as Cousin, and I already learn limits to skill in Xi Fang Xiao technique. I no wish to risk error again with Red's mother."

For no reason that anyone else present could tell, Ukyo studied the ceiling and had the most peculiar expression…

Guile was clenching his fists with a hard look on his face, but Akiko's hand touched his wrist as she smiled, forcing him to relax a little.

"It is only for a little while," she reminded before adding, "And besides which, I know two other ladies who will not be displeased to have that time with you so that they may be able to make you a better counter-offer."

Cammy and Chun-Li were quick to find other places to look than at anyone else in that moment.

"Mistress Lao?" Kodachi suddenly spoke up, "Would you be adverse to taking on another apprentice?"

"What???" Akane gasped in disbelief.

"Kodachi?" Ranma looked at her in dismay.

"I want to be where Kei-chan is," Kodachi smiled at them reassuringly before turning a look towards Keiko, then to Lao herself, "At the side of the woman that I love and with the Madam who has cured me of my illness. I owe you a debt of honor, Lao-sama, and a Kuno always pays her debts."

"Nobly spoken," Lao nodded, "There is much that I can teach you, and not just in the pleasurable arts. You have an able, alert mind, and Kei-chan is already very fond of your company. I would not wish you two to be parted, any more than I would see harm done to one who has already been wronged by people she once trusted."

"Is this true?" Guile turned an astonished look towards Keiko.

"Yeah," Keiko said tightly, but smiled at him, then at Kodachi, "I'm afraid it is. Call it my lack of normal standards, but I'm nuts about Kodachi."

"Now wait a minute," Nabiki stared to say when Kodachi raised her hand and smiled at her, then calmly walked over to Ranma.

"I wish that there were some means by which I could apologize for the terrible way that I have treated you in the past, Saotome-san," Kodachi said with a sincere expression, then totally surprised him as she leaned forward and kissed him on the mouth, softly murmuring in his ear, "So you know what could have been."

She turned to Nabiki and this time Kodachi grinned, "And just so your iinazuke is not too jealous, this is for what might have been with Kaneda-sama," and with that she threw her arms around the astonished Nabiki and passionately kissed her. When she finally let go Nabiki had a very stunned expression. Kodachi turned back to Keiko and linked arms with her, then turned to Lao and said, "I am ready to go whenever you wish it, my lady."

"Then let us waste no more time on this infernal island," Lao turned to look at Guile, "I will not betray my word to you, Guile-san, and if it is any consolation to you, when I have finished I may also have the name of the fellow who has held Akiko in thrall for the past four years. I trust you will want to return some day to Hong Kong and pay your respects to the Tai Pan?"

Guile's expression went from sour to sullen as his eyes gleamed with a certain light, "You can bet on that, lady. Just watch out the next time we cross paths."

"In truth I am looking forward to it," Lao smiled in a sultry purr, then turned around and said, "This way, people. The sooner we are on our way the sooner you people can relax and stop looking for places in my back to stick the daggers."

"Isn't there a little problem, though?" Bison asked as they filed out of the battle-damaged mansion and followed a path leading towards the nearby pier, "Without your ship you're pretty much grounded, lady."

"You think so?" Lao sounded strangely confident as they followed the path and came at last to a manmade harbor, "Try looking over in that direction."

"Huh?" Honda asked, then halted abruptly, causing several people to collide into each other behind his back, which he barely noticed. He shaded his brow with his hands and said, "What's that?"

"What the…?" Guile shared his astonishment, as did everyone else but Lao and her people, for they could see the fog rising out from the bay, filling up the area just before the image of a massive ship appeared…the Floating Piece of Junk, intact and looking no worse for its travels.

"My ships is magical," Lao explained without breaking stride, acknowledging her people, who were gathered about the pier filing into a set of longboats, "Or should I say Accursed? So long as the Dragon's Orb is still connected to its center it can never be truly destroyed and will repair itself in good order, just like any other truly immortal being."

"But the crew…" Ken started to say.

"Watertight compartments," Lao said simply, "And the Undines do the rest. This is hardly the first time we have been struck amidships and sunk with all hands, and my crew is well-trained in emergency drills. Besides, the interior is in another dimension separate from the compartment where we battled. You will even find that the deck has been cleansed of any lingering smell, outside of the stench of rotting timbers. Now, I believe that I promised to return your missing colleagues…"

"Ahoy, land!" cried a familiar childish voice as they saw several figures crowded about the upper deck looking over the side in their direction. There was a group of children gathered around Hinako, while the other figure close nearby was swamped by beautiful ladies clinging to his huge body and playing with his fiery red hair as though he were the most adorable thing that they had seen in a lifetime.

"Somebody shoot me," Bison groaned.

"Man," Ken stared in amazement, "Now I know how I want to celebrate my bachelor party…OW! Chun-Li, what did you do that for?"

"Eliza's getting such a report out of this one, Mister…" Chun-Li glowered.

"Charlie?" Guile said in disbelief, "What are you doing out there?"

"Well, you know," Blanka shrugged as he grinned back somewhat dreamily, "I seem to be real popular here, Guile…maybe they just don't see enough guys, or you can chalk it up to my Animal Magnetism."

"He dies for that," Cammy rumbled in a very low voice.

"Just get over here and we can get things started," Lao replied as she cupped her hands and called out, "Lower the side!" then she added more levelly "You can use this ship, now that my people are finished repairing it."

"Huh?" Guile blinked his eyes as something large came sailing around from the side of the POJ, which turned out to be none other than the forty foot yacht they had begun their mission using.

"After all," Lao smiled at him, "How else are you going to convince your superiors that you were on a dangerous secret mission that involved an unscheduled trip here? If you return with all of your expensive equipment intact they will be much less favorably inclined to investigate your handling of these matters."

"Let's get this over with," Nabiki growled, feeling a bitter aftertaste from the devil's bargain they had made, "I think we're all ready to head home for Nerima."

Lao favored a side-glance towards Nabiki while Hinako and Blanka were let down into the yacht, which was then sailed into the harbor, then the Pirate queen at last said, "One thing you ought to know before I leave, Tendo-san. The bone-pit you discovered is more than just a repository for the remains of previous captains and guests, it tends to reflect the darker aspects of the nature of anyone who finds themselves trapped within it. You emerged from that pit believing I was the most evil human being who has ever lived, which I hope that I have demonstrated that I am not in your estimate. Consider that what the pit reflected inside you was something dark and more negative to which you adversely reacted. Think well enough on that before you are ready to consign me to the flames of perdition."

Nabiki said nothing, though Ranma said aloud what others were thinking, "Are we really going to let her get away with this? After everything she's done?"

"I'm with Saotome," Chun-Li glared, "I've got a list of Interpol charges with your name on it, Lao Kung. No way is this thing finished between us."

"I wouldn't want it any other way," Lao replied with a knowing smirk, "You and Miss White have certainly piqued my interest during this encounter. I look forward to a re-match where we can settle the issue to our mutual liking. I just hope you both are prepared to lose more than your liberty should I be the victor. Its good incentive for your training."

"Ulp," Cammy leaned closer to Chun-Li and said, "Maybe we ought to think about this some more, Zahn…"

"You do that," Lao smiled, fetching Nabiki a last look before she added, "I expect your training to be no less intense when I return in four months to deliver the goods, as I have promised. Should you lose to me I guarantee you will receive a complete and thorough education, and you might even have it in you to graduate from slave to slave owner."

"No thank you," Nabiki said coldly, "As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a slave owner. I'll leave that to someone who thinks other people live at her sufferance."

"As you wish," Lao turned away and stepped out onto the pier, heading for a waiting longboat that some of her followers had rowed in their direction, "If you ever change your mind, I'll be waiting."

Akiko turned to follow the blue haired Pirate lady, as did Kodachi and Keiko. Akane turned to her friend and said, "You don't have to do this…"

"Yes I do," Keiko paused, reaching out to grasp her friend's hand and squeeze it with affection, then leaned forward and kissed her on the cheek before turning to Ryoga and saying, "You take care of each other. I expect you not to get too lost when I see you both next."

She paused and gave Nabiki a last wry look, "Oh by the way, Nab-chan…when I get back I'm going to take another shot at getting my title back, so I expect you to be ready."

Nabiki raised both eyebrows at this but said nothing.

"This stinks," Ukyo growled, as she watched her old friend walk off with the others, "Isn't there any way we can change their minds?"

"Don't bother, Daughter-in-law," Cologne replied, "They have made their choices, it is not our place to contradict them."

"But Kei-chan may not be acting under her own volition," Ryoga countered, "That witch can control minds, there's no telling what she did to Kei-chan the last time she was with her…"

"Does she seem to you like someone who cannot make her own decisions?" Cologne eyed him sardonically, "If so, you do her a discredit. That is a very brave, very noble young lady, and I believe someday she will make a formidable Amazon, should that be the path her fate takes her."

"You may be impressed," Guile said softly, "But she's my daughter, and I should be the one looking out for her interests. I don't trust Madam Lao, and I sure as hell don't like letting her walk away without paying for her many crimes…"

"You think she isn't already?" Cologne eyed him sardonically, "Think again. My great granddaughter is suffering every day of her life for her sins in ways the rest of you cannot imagine. Do you think it is all fun and games on her ship? It is a very sad fate never having a home but the open sea, never able to return to the land of your birth. She is creating a village atmosphere to compensate for her loss, but how does one compensate for the loss of pride in knowing you are an eternal exile?"

"That's too philosophical for me," Nabiki sighed, "I guess we can always plan for the future and how we can take her down next time. Now that we know what she's good at, the best place to beat her will be in Nerima."

"Where, I trust, we are headed at the moment," Hinako-Sensei said very primly with a large Kawaii smile on her face, "After we make a little stopover on the way."

"Stopover?" Nabiki blinked, "What do you mean?"

"To fetch some palm trees as you promised Principal Kuno," Hinako grinned, "Don't you remember the reason you gave for this little 'fact-finding' enterprise of yours, Tendo-san?"

"D'oh!" Nabiki winced as she slapped herself on the forehead, "How could I forget? That maniac will try to shave me bald if he doesn't get his damned Tropical plantlife!"

"In a Temperate Zone like Japan?" Blanka asked with a puzzled expression.

"You have to know our Principal to figure it out," Ranma assured before turning to Nabiki and asking, "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"I'll make a little deal with you, Ranma-kun," Nabiki smiled, "Next time your father gets it into his head to go on one of his training missions, why don't you go with him and I'll stay home for a change? That should make my life just about perfect."

"So where do we go to pick up some palm trees in this neck of the woods?" Bison asked.

"No problem," Ken smiled, "I'll have them flown in with just a phone call. Where do you want them delivered?"

"Furinkan High School," Hinako replied, "Just on the outskirts of Tokyo in the Nerima province."

"Place is easy enough to find," Ukyo snorted.

"Yes," Perfume agreed, "Look for school with stupid boy holding a bokken and spouting bad poetry."

"Sounds like my own Alma Mater," Bison shrugged, "Except for the Bokken. Bet the place gets trashed a lot."

"I'm going to regret this," Honda groaned, "But why?"

"Because you can't fix what ain't bokken of course," Bison smiled matter-of-factly.

Massive groans from the rest of Guile's crew were accompanied by blank looks for everyone else but Nabiki.

"Sir," Cammy looked at Guile pleadingly, "Can I just pretend he's evil again so I can bang him up a little?"

"Don't tempt me," Guile rounded off and headed for the yacht, "Let's get out of here before I really have to hurt something…"

"Say," mused Akane as she glanced around in mild confusion, "Aren't we missing somebody? I thought you guys were going to bring Mousse along with you."

"Mousse?" Honda said with a puzzled look.

"He means the Monkey," Bison clued him in.

"I resent that," Blanka growled, then shrugged, "I dunno…I guess we kind of forgot all about him. Think we should go find Madam Lao and remind her?"

"Maybe another time," Nabiki said as she shared a look with Ukyo, "Depends on how much Lao will pay us to take him back, which reminds me, Grandmother…why don't tell Gramps about Lao and her treasure trove of women's unmentionables the next time she pays us a visit?"

The old woman's eyes twinkled with mischief as she replied, "That is what I have always liked about you, Daughter-in-law…sometimes you think just like an Elder…"

"Blasted Fogbank," said Captain D'Amore as he peered through his spy glass, "How the devil did it get so thick in the middle of the bloody afternoon?"

"Uh, sir," said the Spaniard at his side, "Try looking at it without the telescope. It's not really all around us, it's just traveling like a cloud over the surface of the water.'

"You don't say?" D'Amore pulled the glass away from his eyes as he saw that, indeed, it was only a small area of cloud that was rolling over the water, "My, that looks awfully familiar somehow…"

"It ought to be, Cap'n," said a huge black man at his other side, "That's the effect we always see when Madam Lao's in the neighborhood."

"Lao?" D'Amore frowned, "That card cheat and her low-rent brothel? What the devil are they doing in the Caribbean?"

"Uh, sir," said another man at the steering wheel, "We're not in the Caribbean. In fact, if I make my readings just right, and judging by the buildings on the coastline, I'd say it's more likely we're just off the coast of Hong Kong again."

"What the devil?" D'Amore frowned, "All right, who let Aki near the helm last night?"

"Sir," another man called out, "I make out another ship…a yacht this time, heading on a different course than the cloud bank. Should we hail them?"

"Let me see," D'Amore said as he turned his spyglass towards this other ship, seeing it loaded down with a very odd assortment of crew, mostly teenagers and burly men by the look of it, then he lowered his glass and said, "Probably not, they look dangerous, and you can never be too safe around strangers these days."

"Where to then, Cap'n?" inquired the steersman.

D'Amore thought before he answered. It had been a while since Pangea and his encounters with an odd group he had met there, but things had been fairly quiet of late, so out of whimsy he replied, "Second Star to the right, straight ahead until morning…"

"Huh?" the steersman looked at him oddly.

"How the devil should I know?" D'Amore snapped at him, "You have the wheel, you make a decision. If anyone wants me to do something Captainy I'll be down in my cabin getting drunk, because I feel such a headache coming on. We are never going to deliver this damned shipment of palm trees at this rate."

"Cheer up, Cap'n," the burly Brunt said encouragingly, "Things are bound to look up sooner or later."

"Oh yes," D'Amore said sarcastically as he headed for the exit, "Maybe we'll get lucky and hit an iceberg or something. Let me know if anything like that ever happens. It should be worth composing a song or something…"

Continued

Comments/Criticism/ACLU Litigation: Shadowmane@msn.com