Project A-Ko Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki 1/2 (A Very Scary Thought) ❯ The Tempest... ( Chapter 84 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Nabiki 1/2

(A Very Scary Thought)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Based Upon the Altered Destinies Storyline

Inspired by the works of such fans as

Wade Tritshler

Richard Lawson

James Jones

And Many Others

Standard Disclaimer: This is inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and is not my original creation. All characters belong to her. This is only a fanfictional work, and is not intended to compromise the rights of the original owners, distributors and publishers of the Ranma series. I have no money to spare and would very much appreciate if no one tries to sue me.

It had been a hot, humid day in Nerima for much of the late afternoon and until this point the sky had been clear with relatively few clouds, when out of the blue it began to rain, surprising everyone who was without an umbrella.

In actuality, such a sudden change in the weather was far from exceptional. Japan was in a temperate zone known for its seasonal weather, and with one hundred and twenty inches of rain every year it was far from surprising to find a sudden downpour break out with relatively little warning.

What was surprising was the small group of figures poised outside the Tendo household, led by a very pretty woman in conservative business dress who stood at the front gate for several minutes ringing the chime that passed for the next best thing to a doorbell. After a moment she frowned and said, "How odd. It appears that no one is home. Do you think we may have come at a bad time, my lady-ah, I mean, Captain?"

She addressed the question to the largest and most surprising of her companions, the one she had ridden in from the coastline like an odd play on the poem by Tennyson. Said companion growled something that would have made no sense to a normal human, but the lady just smiled and said, "I suppose you are right, Captain. Coming here a day early may have been a wise tactical maneuver, but it left us with no assurance that anyone would be home when we got here."

A squawk from the back of the first companion announced the intent of a second to launch itself into the air despite the heavy downpour. Powerful wings propelled it over the wall, and then a few moments later the gates swung open to admit the oddly mismatched party.

"But…won't it be rude to intrude upon the Tendos like this, Captain?" the woman asked, only to be answered by a low growl, to which she assented, "Quite right. You wish to find a bath for the others to change in. I suppose we could always excuse ourselves later…"

The third companion, who also sat on the back of the first, made a curious noise of inquiry as the vulture swooped down and alighted upon the tiger. A black ferret swiveled its head around to orient on an area of the gardens that was partly obscured by the rain, but this was enough for the woman to turn and look in that same direction, spying several figures standing under a low awning watching them with great interest.

"Oh," the woman said, visibly surprised, "You startled me…Guile-san?"

"Hello, Akiko-chan," said Colonel William Guile as he stepped out into the rain, drinking in the sight of her as he took a few steps forward, then halted, "It's been a while."

Akiko was looking at him with the same peculiar interest, and for a moment it was as if the world ceased to exist between these two, until the vulture on the back of the tiger spread its wings and swooped towards the man, who thrust out a burly arm and allowed it to settle down upon its wrists. The bird was oddly careful not to squeeze too tight with its talons as it moved its head closer to the Colonel and lightly pecked his cheek with its beak.

"Keiko-chan," the man smiled, "It's been too long for the both of you. And how have you been getting by?" he added the last with a curiously hard look towards the tiger.

The big cat seemed to regard him with tawny eyes, and then a peculiar transformation took place as the tiger seemed to shrink in on itself and straighten out, assuming a human form as Chinese-style clothing materialized about her body, and a moment later there stood the notorious Madam Lao Kung in its place, smiling at Guile with a look worthy of the tiger.

"Nihao, Guile-san," Lao remarked in a throaty purr that was arched and calculating, "How long have you and your people been waiting to greet me?"

"Not long," Guile replied, noting with some detachment the way the rainwater was bending around the area where Lao was standing, miraculously failing to touch her pale sea-green hair as the renegade Amazon remained bone dry in spite of everyone else's bedraggled condition.

The Pirate Queen and Slaver cocked her head to one side then glanced with a deepening predatory smile, "Is that Inspector Chun-Lee Zahn I spy standing next to her rival, Lieutenant Cammy White? A pleasure to see you both again. How many others did you bring with you?"

"Just these two," Guile replied, "I decided against making this official, but they insisted on coming along. I think they want to have words with you regarding a certain incident they both hold you responsible for."

"Indeed?" Lao asked innocently, "And how have you two been getting along these days? Still contending for your Colonel's affections, even though you know his heart has been given to another?"

"My lady," Akiko began, then corrected herself, "Captain, please. Guile-san, I hope you don't intend to cause any trouble with the Captain. We are here under peaceful terms, as I believe I informed you in advance with my letter…"

"Yes," Guile nodded, "And the date you gave was tomorrow, if I'm not mistaken."

"I wanted time to prepare myself," Akiko fingered her wet hair and smiled, "Obviously these aren't the best of conditions…would it be possible for us to go inside and dry off? I'm sure the Tendos won't mind if we got out of the rain, although I do wish that someone was here. It is so rude to intrude without seeking their permission."

"We can apologize later," Lao said with a sniff, "Deflecting rain like this requires too much of my energy and concentration. I would rather retain my human form to speak, and I can't change Kei-chan or Kodachi back under these conditions. It would be rather pointless."

"So why don't you crawl back under the rock you came out from?" Cammy sniped with a noticeable cockney accent to her Japanese.

"Later you two," Guile urged, heading off a second comment from Chun-Li, "The door isn't locked, I already checked that. The Tendos must have left in a hurry, otherwise they…"

"Excuse me," a voice intruded on their conversation, "Can I help you people?"

Everyone turned to see a brown haired man wearing glasses and holding an umbrella. The man wore an olive-colored gi and sandals on his feet and was carrying a bag in one arm, which he clutched to his body to keep it from getting wet.

"Our apologies," Akiko quickly recovered her wits, "We were looking for the Tendos…"

"Oh," the man replied, "Well, they're not in right now. In fact, I just got a call from Saotome Nodoka asking me to stop by the house and pick up a few things. There's been a family emergency, so you'll have to come back later."

"An emergency?" Guile replied, "Mister…?"

"It's doctor," the man smiled, "Ono Tofu, Sensei," he smiled, "And you people are?"

"Colonel William Guile," said the burly blond haired man as he pulled out an identity card and showed it to Tofu, "This is Inspector Chun-Li of Interpol, and Lieutenant Cammy White, my attaché. I'm here to find my daughter and my lady-friend here…"

"Oh!" Tofu brightened with a smile, "Yes, I've heard of you. You're a friend of Nabiki's…and is that Keiko on your shoulder? I should have recognized you immediately…"

The vulture squawked as though returning his salutations as Tofu bowed to the vulture and the vulture dipped her head back, which earned an approving smile from Akiko.

"I'm sure that this is all quite fascinating," Lao broke in, "But you said that there was a family emergency? What kind of emergency?"

Tofu adjusted his glasses then smiled, "You look like an Amazon. Are you a friend of Shampoo Tendo?"

Lao blinked at the name, then smiled, "She is my blood niece on my mother's side. How is Shampoo doing, Tofu-Sensei?"

"She's the one having an emergency," Tofu replied, "They're rushing her to the hospital even as we speak. She's gone into labor and they say she's about to deliver her baby."

The vulture squawked, as did the ferret on Lao's shoulder, while Lao herself expressed surprise with a very astonished, "Baby? But…I thought she was not due for another month or so…"

"So did everyone else," Tofu shrugged, "Apparently something in the magic used to impregnate her speeded up the process. I thought she did look pretty advanced for her third trimester. Why don't I show you to the hospital, I only need to go into the house for a moment…"

"We'll come with you," Akiko said primly, "My daughter needs hot water to change back…"

"No need to explain it to me," Tofu smiled, "I'm their family physician, after all. I'm used to Jusenkyo curses, and I know Keiko-san's state quite well. This other one must be Kodachi Kuno, if I'm not mistaken? I understand you have some people rather eager to talk with you, young lady, your brother among them."

If it were possible for a ferret to look sheepish, this one managed it quite convincingly with as humble and subdued an expression as could be permitted to her species.

"I hope there won't be any trouble getting to the hospital in this weather," Chun-Li remarked.

"They were only a few kilometers away on the edge of town the last I heard," Tofu replied as he walked up to the door of the Tendo residence, "I don't see why there would be any problems. I'm sure they've already arrived and Shampoo is being given the finest care that anyone could ask for…"

"Can't this thing go any faster?" Nabiki snarled with some urgency, huddled up in the back of the Subaru with Shampoo and Ranma.

"I'm doing the best that I possibly can," said Miyuki patiently, "I don't understand how this rain could have cropped up so suddenly. I can barely make out the road ahead of us…"

"Yeah, no fooling!" Natsumi exclaimed, glancing over her shoulder farther back, "I thought one of you guys controlled this stuff, so what's happened?"

"I have no idea," Raiden replied calmly, turning to his fellow deities, "The minute I step away from the office my staff seems to go into immediate party mode. When I get back up there some heads are going to be rolling, let me tell you…"

"This wouldn't happen to be your doing, would it, Cousin?" Urd asked Kishijoten.

"Not precisely as such," Kishijoten smiled enigmatically, "Think of it more as Probability Overdrive. I'm sure Skuld-chan can explain the particulars, that is more her department."

"I am certain that everything is happening in a completely understandable way," Belldandy said with her usual calm demeanor.

"Yes, of course," Kasumi agreed with equal elan (turning several heads as her voice sounded almost identical to that of the goddess), turning to the others before saying, "More tea? We have plenty of snacks for everyone in case anyone gets hungry."

Shampoo's cries caused a wince from Perfume, who was all too aware of Ukyo clinging to her arm while feeling a sympathetic reaction to her cousin. She noticed the hostile glares being cast her way by a sullen Ranma, and wondered what it was that she had done to upset the boy, who was trying so hard to reassure both Nabiki and her cousin. She was also trying to make sense of the confusion to her senses caused by her immediate surroundings as she studied the profiles of everyone sharing the back space of the Subaru. She was far from an Ultra-rationalist, but the contradiction of what she saw and felt to what she knew objectively was proving difficult to reconcile. She held her peace and decided to let someone else ask the obvious question.

"Excuse me," Akane looked around, "But does anyone know how it is that we're sharing the back end of a Subaru? I didn't know they built them to have this much space in the rear."

"Say," Ryoga frowned, "Now that you mention it, that is a little strange…"

"Strange?" Aiko exclaimed, giving the space around them a wary glance, "A cargo plane doesn't have this much space! Don't tell me one of you guys are screwing around with the probability physics?"

"Don't let it get to you, kid," Hercules replied, "Most mortals have only a limited grasp of such things as Time and Relative Dimensions in Space conversion…right Sis?"

There was a muffled sound of indignant outrage from the back of the vehicle where the silver haired Artemis was trussed up like a special delivery package in binding chords that looked like thin gold chains but were in actuality unbreakable Orachalcum. She glared at her younger half-brother as if to promise dire consequences if he did not immediately release her, which were naturally ignored by the man-god.

"Really?" Beatrice smiled, "Sounds like a fascinating concept, not unlike the means by which I store my Akagiyami missiles in my wrist gauntlets."

"Oh brother," Aiko rolled her eyes, "I always wondered why you seemed to have an unlimited supply of the bloody things…"

"Oh," Ryoga brightened, "You mean it's like with the Doctor's Tardis!"

"You mean Tofu-Sensei has one of these?" Genma asked.

"No," Ryoga replied, "I mean the other doctor…Doctor Doctor…my friend, whom I used to travel around with in something he called a T.A.R.D.I.S. during one of my adventures…"

"Not that story again," said Ranma with a roll to his eyes, turning back to the purple haired girl in front of him as he said in more urgency, "Just remember what Tofu-Sensei said in those classes, Shampoo-chan. Breathe in and out regularly, taking deep breathes and…"

"Shampoo trying!!!" the Amazon let out with a grunt, "Stupid boy want help Shampoo, try soaking head in Nyanniichuan water--AIEEEEE!!!"

This latter exclamation was joined in kind by Ranma since Shampoo had reflexively reached out with a hand and nearly crushed his to a pulp as her latest spasm of pain hit her.

"Oh, my little girl!" Soun wailed, "My daughter is about to become a father! I mean, I'm going to be a grandfather…I…what in the name of the kami am I saying???"

"Please take it easy, Soun-sama," Hinako urged, "It won't do any good to be upset, and your daughter-in-law is doing quite well from appearances."

"Verily, I am half tempted to join the elder Tendo-san in bewailing the strange majesty of the fates," said Kuno, "What a wondrous thing it is to behold that Tendo Nabiki will soon gain child from the labors of another woman. If I did not know the path to madness lay in such conceptions, I would think her other self was indeed a great sorcerer to have somehow managed to achieve this."

"Watch that crack about the fates, Boy," Thor urged the Kendo master in what sounded like gruff warning, "In this case you've got their attention, and I've learned the hard way that it's a bad idea to tempt them."

"I heard that," Urd snorted, "What have we ever done to you lately, and why were you in such a hurry to get out of the rain? You could have just banished it with your hammer."

"I dunno," Thor said, "When we were all dog-piling into this Clown Car I had the oddest feeling, as if something were going on upstairs that wasn't friendly to us weather divinities. I tried banishing the rain a while ago but nothing happened. You doing this, Raiden ol' buddy?"

"Not me," Raiden sniffed, "I just assumed my father was having one of his usual tantrums."

"He and auntie do have some pretty spectacular fallings out," Kishijoten agreed, "But in this case I think you will find more than the usual events at work creating this complication, brother."

"And I don't suppose you'd feel like elaborating on what you know, Cousin?" Urd asked pointedly.

"What would be the point?" the dark haired goddess replied enigmatically, "It won't change anything, and what I know is of little use to you in either event, suffice to say that this weather will not be dispelled until it has achieved its full purpose."

"So," Kurumi said after a pause lasting all of thirty seconds following that enigmatic statement, "You're saying this car is bigger on the inside than the outside? I still don't see how that works…"

"Apparently it is like those circus cars we once saw at that carnival, Kurumi-chan," replied Natsume, "Remember the one that had the clowns in it?"

"Do I?" Kurumi brightened, "I never could figure out how they could fit so many clowns into such a tiny…oh…I get it now."

"Right," said Nabiki as she inspected Ranma's hand to insure that the bones had not actually been broken there, "But in this case we're the clowns, only I'm not laughing. Can't this thing go any faster?"

"You want to get outside and push?" Miyuki called back as pleasantly as she could, "Believe me, I'm doing everything I can to…uh oh!"

"Breaks!" cried Natsumi frantically, and indeed the sound of screeling tires could be heard, though with a curiously lack of inertia felt within the interior of the vehicle. A few seconds later the car appeared to come to a complete stop, though this too could only be ascertained by looking out a window as everything in the back felt completely motionless.

"What is it?" Nabiki snapped, "Why did you stop?"

"The road is out," Miyuki called back, "It's been completely washed away by the monsoon."

"What?" nearly everyone said simultaneously until Thor and Hercules shouted them down to silence, then the latter said, "Washed out? In only a couple of minutes?"

"Hey, it happens," Thor shrugged, "Flash floods aren't that uncommon in this part of the world…"

"This is Japan," Sif countered, "Hilly country, if I remember rightly from the travel brochure, and they're supposed to have a pretty good flood control system. Is it normal to have flash floods flare up this suddenly?"

"Oh sure," Urd replied, "Happens all the time…though, now that you mention it, it is kind of sudden for this time of the year…"

Shampoo gave another sharp cry and Nabiki reached to steady her, only to have herself gripped hard by the Amazon, who shook her as she cried, "You do this to Shampoo! You make Shampoo suffer so you have way with boy Ranma! Shampoo never forgive this! Feel like passing boulder from--AIIIYYYEEE!"

"Calm down, child," Cologne urged as she interposed her frail arms before the stricken girl, "You're not dying, you're perfectly fine, enjoying a normal delivery with everything proceeded as it should, nothing to worry about at all except a little delay that can't be helped on account of the weather."

"S-Shampoo?" Nabiki gasped, almost in shock from the brief accusation hurled her way by her wife.

"Oh, don't let it get to you, my dear," said Happosai reassuringly, "This happens to every woman in labor sooner or later, it's also perfectly normal, just like Cologne said. Nothing to worry about, she didn't really mean it."

"And what would you know about delivering babies?" Cologne shot him a suspicious glance.

"I'll have you know that I've probably delivered as many babies into this world as you have, you old woman," Happosai said as he folded tiny arms over his chest.

"Now there's a frightening thought," murmured Genma, to which Soun readily nodded.

"Unlikely," Cologne replied, "I've been a Mid-wife for almost as long as I've been an Elder, and I practiced early in my youth while you were out chasing women's undergarments, old fool."

"Hah!" Happosai shot back, "You may know a few things about the healing arts, but you're not the village Healer, or even a Lore Master for that matter. I, on the other hand, remember one very difficult pregnancy that I helped to assist, and the parents were so grateful they let me name the baby and become its godson. Pantyhose was the name I gave him, and by now he's probably a fine, strapping young man…"

"Pantyhose?" Ranma sniffed, "What kind of a name is that?"

"The kind that gets you into a lot of fights, I'll bet," murmured Ryoga.

"Would you guys just shut up?" Ukyo suddenly flared, "This is supposed to be about Shampoo, but all you do is jabber on about all sorts of unimportant stuff. How about some consideration for what she's going through?"

"You're quite right, dear," said Nodoka, "We all should be a little more considerate. The poor girl is having her first baby, and I can remember what a strain it was for me having Ranma. Kimiko went through this process on three separate occasions, and I was there for at least two of her babies. I know she'd be proud for the way you are handling yourself in this crisis, my dear Nabiki-chan."

"But…" Nabiki looked frantic, "What if the rains don't let up? What if we can't get to the hospital in time? What if…?"

"What if you shut up and hold Shampoo hand?" Shampoo cried out, gripping the nearest of Nabiki's hands and holding onto it tightly with both of his own hands. A second later she gave another sharp scream while Nabiki's face screwed up in pain that she did not give voice to.

All at once, the door on Miyuki's side flew open and a dripping wet Frank stood there looking in like something dragged in from the cold by a very big puppy. He swept the room with a glance then said, "I've checked all along the bank of the river but there's no easy way across. The rain's too hard to permit a chopper to land, so we're going to have to do this the hard way."

"The hard way?" asked Natsumi with some hesitation in her voice.

Frank turned and looked directly at Hercules and Thor, "You guys come out here and give me a hand. Shelly's determined the spot where the water is at its lowest level, which may be safe enough to cross if we carry this sucker between us."

"Carry my car?" Miyuki sounded like she was ready to throw a fit.

"Hey, we'll be as gentle as a lamb with it, kid," said Hercules as he got up and ducked his head out the passenger door, followed closely by Thor, who stopped himself at the last second.

"Oh, what are you waiting for?" snorted Sif, who gave him a solid push to clear the way before stepping out of the car herself. Everyone could plainly see that Thor was smaller in the rain and the armor she wore was now much looser about her body. Sif ignored this and merely grabbed her by the ear and growled, "Us girls can throw our weight around as well as you boys, so let's get this over with before we're soaked to the bone, all right?"

The side door closed, but now it seemed as if the dimensions of the back end were somehow smaller in spite of the absence of the three divinities. Skuld began typing commands on a portable computer that she produced from seeming no where and appeared to be making a few adjustments to some equations.

Once more there was a curious absence of movement, but the world outside the windows seemed to move around them as if they were rising up before moving forward. They appeared to float on air as several minutes passed, and then it seemed as if they were being lowered to the ground. A moment later the side-door opened again to admit a soggy wet Hercules, a drenched Sif and a muddy Thor-chan, who looked as miserable as she was untidy.

"Oh my," said Kasumi while everyone else noticed that the room seemed to expand once again while Skuld made more adjustments to her computer.

"I need a hot bath and a sauna," grumbled Thor-chan in disgust.

"I'm sure they'll let you use the facilities at the hospital," Hinako replied in sympathy while Miyuki got her car restarted, "At least now we can make it on time before Shampoo-san delivers her baby."

"Let's hope so," said Perfume as she eyed her cousin, "We're running out of hands for her to squeeze."

"When Shampoo get back on feet she give you something to squeeze, Cousin--AIYEE!" Shampoo cried, reaching out to grab something, only this time Nabiki snatched Genma by the wrist and thrust his hand forward.

Even Nodoka winced in sympathy at the yell Genma gave out when Shampoo squeezed him.

"Ouch!" Aiko also winced in sympathy, "I hope they don't expect me to be their next victim."

"Why not?" Beatrice asked, "You're one of the only ones here who could probably survive it."

"You're doing fine, child," Cologne assured her great granddaughter, "Just continue as you are and very shortly we will find you a nice bed in which to have your daughter."

"Daughter?" Nabiki asked hopefully, "Are you sure?"

"As sure as I am that she will be born strong and healthy," Cologne replied, "It is her destiny to carry on the proud line of our family, and I have been watching Shampoo carefully to insure that there be no needless complications."

"Complications?" now Nabiki looked more nervous than ever.

"I think you're the one who needs to relax, my dear," Happosai patted her on the knee, "Worrying about your cutie wife won't help her any, though it is a sweet gesture. Just sit there and let me apply some shiatsu pressure techniques to…AWP!"

"I hardly think that the places you would touch would do much to settle her down," Cologne noted as she withdrew her staff from the old man's head, "Although it would certainly take her mind away from the current situation. Go bother one of the other girls if you're feeling so randy, ancestors know there are enough of them to keep even you happy."

"Everything will be all right, Sempai," Ryonami tried to sound reassuring, "Everyone is doing everything they can, and women have babies all the time…though I kind of think it might have been a lot better if you could have waited, not that I'm criticism you, of course…"

"Give it a rest," Akane sighed, "You'll be all right, Oneechan, we'll be at the hospital in only another few minutes…right?"

She arched her voice forward, and Miyuki replied, "Well…I certainly hope so…if only this rain would let up."

"Sheesh!" Natsumi complained, "Can you believe this stuff? You can't even see the road with the headlights on high-beam!"

"AIYEEEE!" Shampoo cried out once again, only this time it was Akane who grabbed her hand and squeezed, only wincing slightly as Shampoo squeezed back. Nabiki almost jumped at the sound of distress in the Amazon's voice, and even after the spasm subsided she kept on looking at Shampoo as if her legendary nerves were on the verge of totally fraying.

"That could be me in another few months," Ukyo remarked, to which Perfume just reached out to hold her by the shoulders. Again Ranma shot a glance their way, but turned his attention back towards Shampoo, then spared a sympathetic look towards Akane.

"Ryoga-kun?" Akane asked in a voice that was strangely tight.

"Yes, Akane-chan?" he asked.

"Help me get my fingers loose!" she winced, "And the next squeeze won't be on you…"

"They're not here yet?" Doctor Tofu asked at the hospital receptionist's desk, adjusting his glasses as he remarked, "That's odd, they should have been here by now, in spite of the weather. It's not that far from the edge of town to here…"

"In this weather, luv?" Cammy asked, glancing back to see the heavy rain pelting the windows, "Be lucky if the roads aren't all washed out. It's thicker out there than London Pea Soup."

"This is unusual weather, even for Japan," Akiko remarked, "The storm began so suddenly and gained rapidly in strength. Have you any idea why that is, Captain?"

"Hmm?" asked Lao, who was standing by the window gazing out into the grey mass that was falling like the floods of Noah, "No, not really…but I am picking up a disturbance in the natural weather patterns. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear a master of the Storm Style was plying her trade…but I doubt she would have any cause for mustering a torrential mass of this size and potency."

"But you do think it's man made?" Guile asked her with an intense look at the window, "It's possible…I've been up against guys who were strong enough to do something like this. Any idea where it's centered?"

"Yes," Lao replied, pointing in a certain direction, "That way. That is where I sense the pattern is strongest."

"That's only a kilometer away from here," Keiko said, "You think maybe our friends might be in some kind of trouble, my lady?"

"It would make a kind of sense after all," murmured Kodachi, "One way or another, things do seem to have a way of centering around our dear Tendo Nabiki."

"Then I'm going out there and find out," Keiko started to say when Lao's hand restrained her.

"And do what?" the foam-green haired Pirate asked before noticing the warning glare Guile gave her and relinquishing her hold on the redhead, "The storm is too powerful for you to fly through, and you can't exactly walk that distance in safety. I'm the only one who is fit to travel through weather this strong, and if what I suspect is true, then I am the only one who is equipped to face the thing that is causing this."

"Then I'm coming with you," said Guile.

"You don't trust me?" Lao smiled, "Nor do I blame you. I don't exactly trust myself in my cursed form, which is one reason why it would be best if I go alone since I can travel much faster as a tiger than you could as a man. Stay here and look after your family, they need you more than I do. I will return in good order, with my cousin in tow, on my honor as a Pirate and a former Amazon."

"That's supposed to reassure us?" Chun-Li asked.

"Look on the bright side," Lao replied, "I'm also the most expendable one here. That weather is literally not fit for man or beast, and at present I am neither. Never fear, I am a born survivor," she stepped out through the double doors, calling back over her shoulder, "It will take more than a little squall to sink this tiger."

She stepped fully out into the rain and almost immediately her shape melted and reformed, growing large as her clothing disappeared, replaced by orange-and-black striped fur. Falling down to all fours, Lao sprang out into the storm and almost instantly vanished amid the sheet-like downpour.

"She'll be all right," Keiko assured the others, "I know my lady and…what?" she saw the look her father gave her.

"My lady?" Guile inquired.

"Sounds to me like someone needs a deprogrammer," Cammy remarked.

"We've already undergone what therapy we need in that regard," Akiko replied, "My daughter is merely being polite to one who has shown us both great kindness…after a fashion."

"Kindness?" Chun-Li asked with clear skepticism, "We're talking about a brutal lady pirate who delights in making girls like us into slaves! You think Cammy and I can forget what she had us doing when we were under her power?"

"I only wish," Cammy rolled her eyes, coloring slightly as if with the memory of what had happened.

"It really is not quite so bad as you seem to imagine," Kodachi said airily, "Or perhaps I should say, don't knock it until you're really tried it."

"Too bad your folks aren't here to hear you say that, young lady," Guile said harshly, then winced as Keiko punched him in the gut, causing him to glance down at her and say, "What?"

Akiko smiled before turning back to regard the storm with evident worry, "I wonder what the Captain was alluding to when she left us? What force could be so powerful as to bend the very elements to their whim like this?"

"You really want to know?" Cammy asked, "I just hope she hasn't bit off more than she can handle."

"You do?" Chun-Li asked with widened eyes.

"Sure," Cammy replied with a shrug, "Anybody busts her hide it ought to be us. After all, we've got a score to settle, and no way does she get off that easy."

"Us?" Chun-Li asked with lifted eyebrows, not catching the smirk Kodachi and Keiko turned in their direction…

Continued

Comments/Criticism/Conclusion to the Present Cycle: Shadowmane@msn.com