Project A-Ko Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki 1/2 (A Very Scary Thought) ❯ Challenge Accepted... ( Chapter 89 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Nabiki 1/2

(A Very Scary Thought)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Based Upon the Altered Destinies Storyline

Inspired by the works of such fans as

Wade Tritshler

Richard Lawson

James Jones

And Many Others

Standard Disclaimer: This is inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and is not my original creation. All characters belong to her. This is only a fanfictional work, and is not intended to compromise the rights of the original owners, distributors and publishers of the Ranma series. I have no money to spare and would very much appreciate if no one tries to sue me.

"Hey, Old Woman," Nabiki asked while she stretched herself out to loosen her muscles after waiting an appropriate length of time to digest her lunch, "Mind if I ask why you're pushing me to learn this stuff so aggressively? I mean, I know why you'd want me to learn it, so I can defend our family and all that, but considering how much I have to be dividing my time through pleasing you and spending quality time with Sham-chan…"

"It is a reasonable enough question," the "old woman" in question replied, "Consider it my way of appraising you as a potential heir, seeing as you have, by marriage, usurped the place that should rightfully have gone to my great granddaughter."

"Your heir?" Nabiki asked quizzically, "You thinking of making me the next tribal Matriarch or something?"

"If you should live so long, and I decide one day to retire," Cologne answered, "Mind you, I am taking time away from my duties in the tribe to attend to the needs of my now-expanded family living in Japan. The Council of my fellow Elders is currently presiding without me being underfoot, and no doubt some whom I know much prefer this current situation. From time to time I will be called away to resume my obligations to our people living in China, and in my absence you will have to represent me and our people since you have chosen to remain in Japan rather than move back with Shampoo to China. Mind you, I respect your decision and will honor it…for the time being, but there may come a time when there is a greater need for you to assert a more active role on behalf of your adopted people, in which case I want you ready and able to uphold your status…and that of Shampoo of course. Consider it a courtesy you owe your wife for marrying her under such circumstances as might be jeopardized should a rival claimant dare challenge your status."

"I see," Nabiki half-smiled, "Well, I'm flattered and all that, and you know I'll always defend Sham-chan no matter who tries to challenge her, or me, and, short of permanently relocating to China, I'll be happy to do whatever I can to maintain your status. After all, we're family, right? But-no disrespect intended-I just don't see myself as the matriarchal type."

"Neither did I, when I was your age," Cologne replied, "But you can never be too successful in predicting the course of the future. That's why it pays to be prepared for any eventuality, no matter how unlikely it may seem to us at the present."

"Okay, I can go along with that," Nabiki said, "But still, some of these new techniques you've been showing me, like this Shadowskills stuff…"

"Seems a bit extreme and excessive?" Cologne finished for her, "Tell me truthfully, Daughter-in-law…would you rather know about an extremely dangerous and deadly art or remain ignorant and risk the chance that you might one day encounter someone who is its master?'

"Well, that's a no-brainer," Nabiki sniffed, "You can never have too much knowledge of the art, even if you never have to put some of it to practical use. Better fore-armed than disarmed…"

"And then what ultimately is the purpose of training if you never intend to use it?" Cologne spoke a bit sharply, "You must train in a system regularly to keep your skills up, and so as not to become too complacent or reliant on the humbler arts that you will often employ against foes of a lesser caliber or status. Even if you never actually must use the Shadowskills to win a battle, just knowing the art will make you ten times the fighter that you are and strengthen your more mundane skills to a point where few will challenge you and fewer still will dare to attempt it on a second occasion. You don't actually have to kill an enemy to know that he or she is defeated, but you must always make them know that they were defeated by you in such terms that they will never dare to risk angering you again. Only then can your family remain secure against potential hazards. Never let your enemies know the full extent of your skills, and always keep them guessing."

"Okay," Nabiki nodded, tossing her head to flip her warrior's braid around one shoulder, "I think I got that part. It's like having a baby nuke in reserve, just in case a handweapon won't serve as a deterrent. Of course I can't help feeling like some kind of a top-gun or notorious fighter that everybody will be setting their sights to challenge, just because I've got a Champion's status. There isn't exactly a shortage of fighters in this world who think they have a shot at stealing my title."

"Very true," Cologne replied, "And only some of them will be Amazons, but a proud warrior is best served by affecting the art of appearing humble. Humility is not exactly a prime asset of yours, but if you were to appear humble and unassuming before those who come to face the great and powerful Tendo Nabiki, they might be persuaded into thinking you are just some harmless slip of a girl, and that is bound to make them careless."

"Heh, see what you're getting at there," Nabiki smirked, "Well, lots of people have underestimated me in the past, don't see any reason not to keep them guessing. Better they be the ones to make that mistake than me, but still…you really think a killing art is going to make all that much of a difference for me as a fighter?"

"Ask yourself that question," Cologne pointed out, "You felt bad when you caused the death of the Road Ronin, even though you knew that he was a merciless and pitiless killer who had sought the life of your wife and child and would have done the same to the rest of your loved ones. Odds are that you must be prepared in case another challenger faces you who does not scruple to use death and psychology as prime weapons. Not everyone in the world has a strong sense of honor, nor can you always count on them fighting you fairly without seeking a dishonorable advantage."

"It's kind of depressing hearing you put it in those terms, Grandmother," Nabiki sighed, "Life should be about more than just fighting and killing. Having a baby through Sham-chan's reminded me of that, and that's why I want to be more of the sort of a person that little Lylac can look up to when she gets older."

"You are learning, Child," Cologne nodded sagely, "Becoming a parent is the most important duty that either of us could know in our lives, but we must never let ourselves become blinded nor complacent in our enjoyment of a domestic life. You must learn to balance within yourselves the Yin and the Yang of a home life with the martial duties of a Warrior and a provider. Ask yourself this question…what is the primary reason that you study to be a martial artist?"

"Well…to defend myself, for one thing," Nabiki said, "And to protect the people I care about, like my friends and family…"

"And what more than this do you have as a motive for study?" Cologne inquired.

"Huh?" Nabiki blinked, "Well…what else is there? Nothing I can think of that's more important."

"Are you so certain of this?" the old woman asked shrewdly, "Consider the Shadowskills in their entirety, and the women who had no choice about learning its mastery. Ages ago, the Khmer Kings of Kampuchea resolved to make a pleasing sport for themselves and their courtiers by trying something that was considered novel in that time…employing female slaves as gladiator-like boxers. The idea came to them when an Amazon fell into their possession, and seeing her warrior spirit-how she dominated the arena and would allow no man to humble or break her spirit-inspired a young Emperor, bored with the normal affairs of his dynasty, to employ this Amazon as a trainer and have her teach female slaves how to fight. Thus began the Karuda system of the Shadowskills from such humble beginnings. The women had no choice about learning how to fight…and because they were slaves, they were expected to fight with their hands cuffed in chains, thus limiting their movements."

"Not very sporting of those Cambodian types," Nabiki sniffed, "Limiting a boxer to using their feet more than their hands is pretty limiting…"

"Oh, they did train in normal Thai boxing," Cologne duly noted, "But in the arena they had to rely more on their feet to gain the advantage. In time they became very effective fighters, and then one day they rose up in revolt against their masters, having just as effectively learned to move beyond their physical limitations. These days their former kingdom lays in ruins, but the Shadowskills lives on, as do those who boldly practice it, an all but forbidden art that few can master, let alone challenge."

"Huh, serves them right in my book," Nabiki said, "So…how do I rate so far in your opinion?"

"Well," Cologne smiled shrewdly, "You're no Seville, but you're coming along nicely…"

"That's nice to hear."

"Ranchan?" Nabiki turned around at the sound of her iinazuke's voice, delighted that he had returned from wherever he had gotten off to as she found herself enjoying his company more and more of late, whenever other duties were not so pressing.

Her immediate smile dampened, however, when she got a look at his expression. There was something seriously wrong about the way he was regarding her, some hint of deep emotional conflict that was roiling beneath the surface, and immediately she began to feel apprehensive.

"Son-in-law," Cologne spoke before Nabiki, "You seem troubled by something. Is there anything the matter?"

"Ah…well…nothing's wrong," Ranma said evasively, and in what clearly sounded like an insincere denial, "I just wanted a minute with Nabiki…is that all right?"

"By all means," Cologne hopped onto her staff and began to move away, "Take your time, she is your fiancée."

"Yeah," Ranma said, glancing down before meeting the gaze of his (primary) iinazuke, "Ah…Nabiki…"

"Yes, Ranma-kun?" Nabiki asked cautiously, deeply troubled by what she was reading in his expression.

"Um…look," Ranma said, "I'm gonna take off for a while with Pop…he wants me to train with him for a bit, so…you gonna be all right with that?"

"Train?" Nabiki blinked her eyes as she caught sight of Genma standing a little ways off to the side, "I thought that was what we were doing…"

"Yeah…well…Pop thinks I could use some improvement," Ranma shrugged, "Ryoga's coming with us so I got somebody to train against…"

"Well hey," Nabiki said, "You need somebody to train against, you've already got me."

"I know," Ranma said, but then hesitated, "It's Pop's idea, but I think he thinks I need some time to train alone…"

"Alone?" Nabiki's pleasant mood evaporated, "OYAJI! What are you up to now?"

"I'm not up to anything, Girl!" Genma called back, "I'm just taking my son to receive some special training with his old man. You have a problem with that?"

"I do if you're going to go dragging my boyfriend around on one of your stupid schemes," Nabiki growled, "What did I tell you would happen the last time you pulled something like this?"

"This has nothing to do with any of that, Nabiki," Genma folded his arms over his barrel-like chest, "My son's training is my business more than yours, at least until after you both get married, and in my opinion he's lacking behind where he ought to be. He has the potential to be a lot better, and I'm going to see to it he trains a lot harder than he's been doing with you women all around him trying to monopolize his attention."

"WHAT?" Nabiki rounded on her former trainer, "What the hell are you talking about? We're not in the way of Ranma or his training…"

"That's what you say," Genma said firmly, "But I've been watching you and Kuonji leaning on him for support, and neither one of you is spending enough time looking after the Boy's needs. All I see and hear are people cutting my son down and making him feel small and useless all of the time, and there's a limit to what any man should have to take before his confidence in his own skills begins to falter."

"W-What?" Nabiki reacted as if slapped, "We're not leaning on Ranma! Ranchan, what the hell is your stupid old man talking about…?"

"He's not a stupid old man," Ranma said with surprising defensiveness, "He's my father, and I…I think he's gotta point…"

"You…what?" Nabiki turned an incredulous look in his direction.

"Look, it's got nothing to do with you, okay?" Ranma said, "I just need some time to work out by myself. It's been…kinda crazy here lately…I just need some space…"

"Space?" Nabiki repeated the word as if she were unfamiliar with the concept, "But…I don't get it! What's wrong, Ranma? Why do you want to leave me…?"

"I don't wanna leave," Ranma said, "But I gotta get away for a few days…think things over…I mean…I'm not really leaving you or anything, I just need time to myself…"

"With Ryoga…and your father," Nabiki said sourly, "But not with me?"

"I told you," Ranma said, "It's got nothing to do with you. I'm not running away…it's not like I'm gonna be gone for ten years or anything like that, it's just for a couple of weeks. I'll be back before you know it."

"Before I know it?" Nabiki said, "What makes you think I can go that long without you?"

"Oh come on," Ranma said, "You don't need me around here that much."

"Yes I do!" Nabiki insisted, "I need you!"

"No you don't," Ranma said without meeting her imploring gaze, "You don't need me…you've got Shampoo and her kid. They're the ones who need you right now. I'm just in the way around here…"

"NO YOU'RE NOT!" Nabiki surprised herself with the force of her own statement, "Ranma, where did you ever get the idea that you're not needed? I need you now…more than ever, in fact! You're too important to me to just go running off with your crazy old man right now when I'm doing all I can to hold everything together…"

"You'll do all right," Ranma said, "You always manage to keep it together. I know you can handle even these four-o'clock feedings that the kid's been putting us through, and with Mom, Kasumi and the others helping out, you won't exactly be doing all the work by yourself. Besides, Shampoo's got everything else covered. I'm just in the way right now, and I gotta get out for a while so I can catch my breath, know what I'm saying?"

"No, I don't understand what you're saying," Nabiki said angrily, turning around as she growled, "Oyaji, what the hell have you been putting in his head…?"

"It wasn't me," Genma replied, "Stop blaming everyone else for the way things have been going lately. You've been too wrapped up in your own problems to pay much attention to anything else lately, girl. Consider this a favor to you, giving the both of you more time to get your heads together before you go through the trouble of getting officially married."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Nabiki demanded, turning an astonished look towards Ranma, "What problems?"

"You see?' Ranma said, "That's just it. You don't know, Nabiki…you think you're on top of everything, but you're not. Hey, it's not really your fault…you're doing great, all things considered. I can't think of anybody else who could do as much to keep things going the way you have but…well…I just don't feel like I'm a part of the picture any more. It's like you're shutting me out, like I'm not really as important to you as Shampoo or the baby. I mean…I don't got nothing against you putting them first and all that…but…it's like we're not a partnership any more. It's like you expect me to just nod my head and go along with anything you come up with. It's like…like I've become your sidekick or something…"

"Sidekick?" Nabiki turned to fully look at the younger man, "Ranma…I'm not…you can't mean…you really think I don't care about you anymore?"

"I'm not saying that," Ranma said, "Well…actually, what am I to you now anyway? I don't feel like an equal, I feel like some kind of damned attachment, like I'm becoming 'Mister Nabiki…'" he paused then said, "No…that didn't come out right…"

"But Ranma…you're important to me," Nabiki insisted, reaching out to grip him by the arms as she stared up into his face, becoming aware of the fact that (in her female form) he actually stood a few inches above her (and when did that happen, she asked with dull amazement, having failed to take notice of a recent growth-spurt on his part), "I care about you…I need you. I…I never thought the time I spent with Sham-chan was coming out of the time we could be spending together…"

"I know," he said, "I…I don't want you to change anything. It's not like you asked for it or meant for any of this to happen, but…well…I don't feel important anymore. It's not just you…it's Ukyo too…the same thing's happening with her. She spends all her time with Perfume and I'm lucky if I get anything left to myself. You got any idea what that feels like? Do you?"

Nabiki stepped away, shocked at the note of hurt in his voice, as if it had never even occurred to her before now that her fiancé might be feeling so excluded.

"Look," he took her hands in his own and held them together, "It ain't really about you…it's my problem, I'm the one whose gotta get it together. I mean…what good am I if I can't stop having these feelings? It's been gnawing at me for weeks, and…and I don't wanna hurt you or anything, but I gotta get away and think about everything. I'll be back just as soon as I've got it figured out. I just need a few days, and it ain't like I'm running away to China or nothing like that…"

Nabiki just stared at him, a well of emotions surging up in her as she tried to make sense of what the young man before her was saying. In a hesitant voice she asked, "It…it's isn't because of the baby…is it? I mean…I know I…I can't give you one myself…at least not right away…"

"It ain't about the kid," Ranma said, then paused as he thought a moment, then added, "Well…okay…maybe that's got something to do with it…but it ain't your fault and I'm not blaming you about any of that. That ain't what I wanna marry you for…you know that, don't you?"

"Do I?" Nabiki asked in a very small voice, "I…I know I'm not much of a woman…heck, I'm not even a woman half the time…"

"Are you kidding?" Ranma forced himself to give her a little smile, "You're more of a woman than I know what to do with…most of the time anyhow. I don't think any less of you on account of that, Nabiki…you're somebody who's very special to me. I…I don't want you thinking I'm rejecting you or anything like that."

"But you think I'm shutting you out of my life," Nabiki's voice trembled and she fought against the tears that were forming in her eyes, "So you're shutting me out of your world…"

"Don't be so melodramatic, Girl," Genma snorted, "You heard my son, he's still committed to honoring his promise to marry you. But be honest about it, and be fair…do you really want the Boy to be going into this without any confidence in himself or how he stands in your estimation? Do you want him to marry you feeling resentful and neglected just because of a pledge your father made with me before you were both a gleam in the eyes of your mothers? Do you want him feeling less than a full partner, especially since your skills are currently so much greater than his?"

"No," Nabiki found that single word hard to force out from her lips, "I don't want Ranma doubting himself…or me…but how can I prove to you that you still matter to me, Ranchan?"

"By waiting for me until I get back," Ranma replied, "If you can do that for me, then I'll know I'm still important in your eyes, Nabiki. I'll be back again before you even know I've been gone, and that's a promise."

"Then you've already broken your promise," Nabiki's voice shook as a surprising note of bitterness crept into her tones, "Because I'll miss you if you're gone for five minutes! I don't want you to go…but…but if you think you have to…"

Ranma did something that surprised him almost as much as it did Nabiki, his hand moving as though it had a mind of its own to cup her chin and turn it up towards him, then-acting on another impulse that would have astonished anyone who truly knew them-he tipped his own face closer to hers and kissed her on the lips, hesitantly at first, but then with greater sincerity the longer that it lasted. A half a minute later their lips parted, and then Ranma moved away, looking at his iinazuke with very wide eyes, as if stunned speechless at his own behavior.

"I'll be back," he said after a full minute of silence hung between them, "I promise."

"That's enough, Boy," Genma struggled to keep his face impassive, though his eyes crinkled with the hint of a smile, "Save the rest for when you're on your honeymoon. Nabiki…you stay and train with the old woman. You've been learning a lot from her, and I want you to get strong…stronger than you are now, stronger than you've ever been in your life, because when Ranma comes back, he's going to show you just how much he's improved as a fighter."

"Huh?" Ranma blinked, "I am?"

Genma did not answer directly, rather he turned and called out, "You hear that, Old Woman? I'm making it a formal challenge! Your apprentice against my son…"

"Interesting," Cologne said as she seemed to appear from out of nowhere, "You would pit these young people against each other?'

"Isn't that the Amazon way?" Genma asked, "The flaw that's always been in this whole five way engagement is that it all revolves around my son. Ranma defeated Perfume, Ukyo and Shampoo, which makes his engagement to them legal by your interpretation of things…but he's never actually defeated Nabiki. She remains the strongest fighter of her generation, which is only natural since that's the way I trained her."

"And so you want him to defeat her," Cologne remarked with a deceptively calm expression, "Which, by Amazon law, would make their marriage both official and legal."

"My boy will become strong…much stronger than he is now," Genma avowed, "And when I think he's ready, he will come back and prove to Nabiki that he is fully her equal. He won't just do well against you, girl…he will defeat you."

"Defeat me?" in spite of Nabiki's concern for Ranma's ego, her own pride caused her to frown as she responded, "Not likely."

"Oh?" Genma seemed genuinely amused, "Do you want to make a little wager on that? Ranma will best you in an honest fight and he will become your husband, and you will learn to treat him like an equal and not leave him feeling like a fifth wheel in his own marriage. Do you hear that, boy? Two weeks from now the two of you will fight, and you will prove that you are my son by showing the Girl that you are the superior fighter."

"IN TWO WEEKS?" Ranma's voice arched sharply.

"You really think your son can improve that fast in such a short span of time?" Cologne mused, "Now that I would honestly like to see happen, if it is even possible. My Daughter-in-law is easily the strongest warrior of her generation…IF she can manage to maintain her concentration during her lessons."

"I know, I know," Nabiki winced, turning back to Ranma, "Are you really serious about this, Ranchan? You really want to train to defeat me?"

"Ah…do I got a choice?" Ranma asked a bit weakly.

"No!" both Genma and Cologne said together.

"Then…guess I gotta train hard, huh?" Ranma shuffled his feet and said, "That okay with you, Nabiki?"

"You really want to know my opinion?" Nabiki arched an eyebrow, but then she sighed and said, "Sure…you do what you have to, Ranma."

The two of them exchanged looks, no other words being adequate to describe their emotions as they silently took stock of the state of their relationship. Things had been said that could not be taken back, and a challenge had been issued and explicitly accepted, leaving no way out of the pledge of battle that now stood between them like a lead weight tied to both of their necks. Ranma felt a tightness in his throat as he committed to memory the features of his iinazuke, even as Nabiki memorized every detail of the young man who was to be her husband, and silently they promised that there would be an accounting the next time they set eyes upon one another…

"Well, you're back at last, Sugar," Ukyo said as she saw Perfume approach their campfire, "Where the heck did you get off to? I've been calling your name…"

"I know," Perfume said, then surprised everyone by pausing at the edge of the camp, not taking her usual place besides Ukyo, as had become her normal pattern.

"What's up?" Keiko asked as she noticed the pensive expression of the Enforcer, "You look like somebody stole one of your axes or something."

"I…I think I may have just fucked something up royal," Perfume murmured as she looked away, "I meant to help out, but…well…things didn't turn out like I planned…"

"Huh?" Ukyo responded, "What do you mean, Per-chan?"

"Ah…well…" Perfume hesitated.

"I think I perceive something here," Kodachi murmured, "Let me go out on a limb and suggest that this has something to do with Saotome Ranma…am I correct?"

"Ranma?" Akane reacted, "What has that baka done now?"

"He hasn't done anything," Perfume spoke up, "And I really wish, for once, that you wouldn't jump all over him like you do, Tendo. After all, the guy is practically your brother…"

"Huh?" Akane blinked, surprised at this response, "What are you jumping all over me for? I just asked a simple question."

"Per-chan," Ukyo turned from where she was seated on a log to study the expression of her Amazon wife, "What did you do…what did you say to Ranchan?"

Perfume moved over to a nearby tree and leaned her back against it, folding her arms over her chest and visibly sulking.

"That bad, huh?" Keiko asked with mild apprehension.

"I wanted to talk some sense into him," Perfume said, "He's been taciturn and non-communicative ever since we got back from the hospital, and I wanted to have it out with him…only…I may have said too much and hurt his pride, which wasn't what I intended."

"So you hurt the baka's pride," Akane shrugged, "That isn't too hard, take it from me. I've known him since we were both six, he'll get over it.'

"I don't think so," murmured Kasumi, "At least…not the way you mean that, Imoutochan."

"Huh?" Akane looked at her older sister.

"I'm afraid I must agree with your sister's assessment, Akane-chan," Kodachi observed, "Ranma's recent behavior suggests that he is suffering a delayed reaction to the events of recent history. His pride has suffered much, and with it his self-esteem as a martial artist."

"I get it," Keiko remarked, "It's not just jealousy about losing out on the chance at being the first one to father a child in his own marriage…"

"HUH?" Ukyo reacted to this part of the statement with lifted eyebrows.

"…But his self-esteem as a fighter has suffered as well," the redhead continued as if not interrupted, "And that could have a way uncool effect on the state of his four-way engagement."

"Wait a second here!" Ukyo demanded, "What do you mean he's jealous? Since when did that happen?"

"Since a few weeks ago," Perfume replied, "When he started having doubts about himself, and when he started getting jealous about me getting you pregnant."

"WHAT?" Ukyo lurched to her feet, somewhat ungainly as she was feeling slightly off her center, "What did you say to him anyway? Why is Ran-chan jealous of that now after telling me he understood things?"

"He understood for about as long as no one rubbed his nose in it," Perfume looked away, "I accused him of being a hypocrite after he accused me of that. I…kinda said more than I meant to, and…I guess I got just a little bit catty with him…"

"Hmmm…no surprise there," Keiko mused, "I'd probably have said a lot worse in your situation."

"Yes," Kodachi agreed, "But coming from someone with whom Ranma expects to enjoin a relationship, such barbed words can only have had a reinforced negative impact."

"I don't care if his feelings are hurt enough," Akane growled, "Ranma had no business getting upset with you just because of something you had no control over."

"No control?" Perfume replied, "It was my lack of control that got Ucchan pregnant in the first place…but why are you always so hard with him? I can at least understand where Ranma is coming from, but why must you always pick a fight with him and call him names? You should try being more sympathetic, Tendo. I know I should have been…but I let myself get angry."

"I don't understand," Ukyo shook her head in dismay, "Ranma got into a fight with you over me?"

"Over you…and over Nabiki," Perfume replied, "Don't forget, she's been spending a lot of time with Shampoo, even before she had her baby."

"And he's jealous of that?" Akane snorted, then wondered at the looks she was suddenly receiving, "What? What did I say…?"

"Akane-chan," Kodachi murmured softly, "Perhaps you should refrain from further commentary until you have taken sufficient time to think about your comments."

"I feel sorry for Ranma," Kasumi sighed, "And Nabiki too…Oneechan has been so absorbed into the task of being a good mother that she has tended to neglect him, and he finally has started to question his worth and ability to contribute to the marriage. I…meant to tell Nabiki that…but…I got a bit distracted…"

"No kidding," Keiko dryly remarked.

"We have noticed," Kodachi said with an equally subtle hint of amusement.

"Ranma thinks Nabiki and I are ignoring him because we have babies?" Ukyo blinked her eyes, "I need to find him and go talk to him…that…Jackass…"

"You'd better hurry," Perfume said, "His father plans on taking him out for a two week training mission with Ryoga. I…sort of overheard them talking…"

"WHAT???" Ukyo reacted as if she had been slapped, "He's doing what? That old fool! What could he be thinking?"

"That Ranma needs time to himself to get his head on straight," Perfume answered.

"That is logical," Kodachi remarked, "If Saotome is feeling an acute inferiority complex, the only cure for it would be to reinforce his self-image through intensive training…take his mind away from any perception of inadequacy…"

"Inadequacy," Ukyo fumed, "I'll show him something to feel inadequate about! How dare he even think about leaving me, abandoning me AGAIN when I need him around to help me out! Just because he didn't put this baby in my body is no reason for him to think he can escape parental duties!"

"That's good," Kasumi said, "You should tell him that yourself."

"Huh?" Ukyo whirled around with a much-surprised expression.

"Ranma needs to hear directly from you that he is still important in your life," Kodachi assured, "His problem derives from the fact that both you and Nabiki have tended to take his support for granted."

"For granted?" Ukyo reacted, "I never took Ranchan for granted! I've always stood by him and I've taken his side on almost everything…"

"By telling him that he's almost as good as Nabiki?" Perfume asked softly, "That he's the second best fighter of our generation?"

"Exactly," Ukyo replied, then blinked her eyes and said, "Oh."

"I don't see what the problem is," Akane said, "So he's the second best around. Used to be he was the best, and he tended to rub peoples' noses in it, including me. Serves him right to get set back in his place, and I don't see why you of all people are defending him, Kodachi."

"Maybe because I feel guilty for my own part in undermining his self-image," Kodachi sighed, "I was too proud…and not very understanding of when he started to take an interest in me. We were childhood friends and he thought me attractive enough to develop a crush at an early age, only back then I was…not entirely myself, and I tended to snub him…why? To this day I still ask myself that very question."

"Maybe he wasn't really your type," Keiko pointed out.

"My dear Kei-chan," Kodachi smiled, "My type back then would have been just about anyone who seemed in the least bit interesting and mysterious. Ranma was a known commodity, and so he held little interest. Had he been indifferent or just a little bit enigmatic or unknown, he would have caught my attention in a very favorable manner. Perhaps if I had gone out with him on dates and gave him a chance to impress on me his qualities as a boyfriend, we might now be engaged in a relationship…not that I have any complaints about the way things turned out between us."

"Hmph," Keiko sniffed, "Well…I suppose…if you're into that type…"

"I might well have been, if I had given myself that chance," Kodachi sighed, "Perhaps if my brother were here he might find a way to cheer Ranma up. They understand each other quite well after so many years of close friendship…"

"I…I need to find Ranma," Ukyo turned and said, "You'll help me find him, won't you, Per-chan?"

"Sure I'll help you," Perfume said, "But…I don't think I should be there when you talk to him. I may have burned my bridges with Saotome with some of the harsh things I said…"

"Never mind that," Ukyo took her Amazon wife by the arm and drew her along, even as Akane spoke up, "Hey…wait a minute! Did I hear right that Ryoga is going on a training mission with Ranma…?"

"Well," Ryoga asked as Ranma and Genma appeared at where he had been standing near the clearing, "How did Nabiki take it?"

"Ah…well…" Ranma looked down, "You know Nabiki…she wanted to make sure I looked after myself, and well…she kinda acted like I'd never been on a training trip before."

"Well," Ryoga shrugged, "You haven't."

"Sure I did," Ranma said, "Lots of times with Pop. Just…ah…haven't done it lately…"

"You'll get used to it, Boy," Genma replied, "We won't be completely roughing it, like we did back then when you were little. I've learned a few things about living off the land from my time with Nabiki. We won't be gone too long, just enough for you two boys to train the way you should have been trained if I hadn't left you with your mother."

"My mother trained me how to fight," Ryoga pointed out, "I may not have seen her for a while now, but I've been keeping up on my training."

"Yeah, but why is that, huh?" Ranma turned to his companion, "You've been living with us at the Tendo's for a while now, but you could have gone back home at any time, all you needed to do was ask for directions."

"Maybe," Ryoga remarked, "I was going to ask Akane to come with me back to meet my mother, but…well…I kind of forgot…"

"Maybe we should try finding the place," Genma mused, "I remember the place you were living at when Nabiki and I were living in that area, and it's not too far removed from here. Well, there's time enough for that. We might as well get on our way before somebody tries to talk their way into joining us…like that girl over there," he nodded off to the side as his eyes turned in a sidelong direction.

"Huh?" Ranma turned in time to see an angry Ukyo stalking towards him (he also noticed Perfume hovering back at the edge, clearly not wanting to renew their previous altercation), at which point he gasped "Ucchan?"

"Don't tell me you were thinking of leaving without talking to me, you Jackass!" Ukyo almost snarled as she approached him, "And where is it you think you are going, Ranchan?"

"Ahhh…well, Ucchan…" Ranma stuttered.

"Don't you 'Ahhh, well, Ucchan' me!" Ukyo thundered, coming to stand right in his face with a very agitated expression, "And what's this about you going off with your deadbeat old man while leaving me alone with my baby?"

"You won't be alone, Girl…" Genma started to say, only to have Ukyo shift her wrath in his direction.

"YOU KEEP OUT OF THIS!" the brown haired girl snapped, "You are the VERY LAST person whom I want to hear from on this subject! Just because you could abandon your wife and son for ten long years doesn't mean you get to talk to me, the GIRL you abandoned when I was still a young and innocent child, you got that?"

"Urk!" Genma reacted with predictable trepidation, "Sure…whatever you say…"

"Ucchan…" Ranma started to say.

Ryoga winced and privately sympathized with his friend's dilemma but kept well out of the way, only too grateful that he was not himself the recipient of the glare that the Okonomiyaki chef was giving her fiancé.

"Well?" she rounded back on him, "I'm waiting to hear a good explanation for why you have to go running off and leaving me here at a time when I really need you. And don't go telling me that just because you had a talk with Nabiki that counts as squaring things with me, you got that?"

"Ah...yeah, I got it," Ranma backed away a half-step, waving his hands in a deflecting-disarming manner, "But really…it's not like that at all…"

"It's not?" Ukyo asked skeptically.

"I wasn't going to leave you alone forever," Ranma insisted, "I'm just going on a two week training trip with my father. I was going to tell you about it, honest!"

"You were?" Ukyo frowned, "Why do I have trouble believing this, and what exactly was it that passed between you and Perfume anyway? She made it sound as if you two were fighting or something…"

"Fighting?" Ranma gasped, "Whatever made you think that? Who said anything about fighting?"

"Ranchan," Ukyo growled, "What exactly did you two do anyway? She seemed awfully upset about something…"

"Uh…nothing," Ranma said evasively, "We just…talked…and then she kissed me."

"Urk!" Perfume reacted, not having anticipated that particular element being brought to the attention of their mutual love interest.

"What?" Ukyo turned a puzzled look Perfume's way, "You kissed him, Per-chan?"

"Ah…well…" the Enforcer hesitantly reacted.

"Ah, there you are, Ranma," a pleasant voice called out, diverting everyone's attention to the august person of Nodoka, "I wanted to see you off on your training mission and to give you and Ryoga these boxed lunches that Kasumi and I went to the trouble of packing."

"Oh…ah…" Ranma said as the Saotome matron handed him one of the wrapped boxed lunches, then handed another over to Ranma, so he awkwardly said, "Thanks, Mom…"

"Thank you, Saotome-san," Ryoga bowed to her, "I appreciate your going to all the trouble."

"Ah, Ukyo," Nodoka beamed brightly, "You and Perfume have come to see my son off. You really must be proud of your iinazuke, he's going to challenge Nabiki for a formal Amazon-style marriage."

"He what?" both of the above named girls chorused together, but for different specific reasons.

"Husband," Nodoka turned to address herself to Genma, "I know you wish to train our son in the arts that you used to make Nabiki a strong fighter, but I would like to make one small request, that-contrary to the philosophy that you follow under your master-Ranma should be allowed to carry with him a single weapon. I've trained him in its use and I would be most pleased if he used it as a part of his training."

With that she reached into her sash and pulled out a wooden bokken.

"Aw Mom…" Ranma winced slightly.

"Nodoka," Genma said, "I know you mean well, and I understand your wanting to train the boy in your own Kendo Ryu, but still…"

"Please?" she asked, giving him a particularly sweet expression.

"Urk," Genma wavered, then caved in, "Well…I suppose he could take it with him, but still…I would insist on deciding the course of his training."

"Of course, Dear," Nodoka replied, "Don't be too long on your training mission. I don't think I would be able to restrain Nabiki and the others if they begin to wonder too much on when you will be returning."

"Yes dear," Genma replied, clearly wanting to remain in his wife's good graces.

"Keep this with you at all times, my son," Nodoka said as she handed Ranma his bokken, "You never know when it might save your life."

Ranma accepted the wooden sword reluctantly, but like his father he refused to voice any outward complaint for fear of landing on the wrong side of his mother.

"Now Ukyo," Nodoka turned around and took the younger girl by her arm, "I think it would be best if we let the men go about their mission. You and Perfume can get re-acquainted with your fiancé when he returns in another two weeks, until then we can plan for their homecoming, after Ranma defeats Nabiki and wins her hand by Amazon law, won't that be nice?"

"Nice?" Ukyo seemed to be considering that question, but proved in the end to be no more willing than Ranma to contradict her future mother-in-law.

"Take care of yourselves," Nodoka said as she turned her smile back towards their masculine counterparts, "And try to stay out of trouble…as much as you are able."

"We'll try, wife," Genma nodded simply.

"As much as we're able," Ryoga nodded gruffly.

"We'll be back soon," Ranma agreed, "And Mom…thanks for everything. Look after Ucchan and Nabiki for me, will you?"

"Of course," Nodoka warmly smiled on her son, "They're all my family now, and I'll look after them like they were my own daughters."

"Thanks," Ranma said, retrieving his back-pack and waving at Ukyo before departing with his father and Ryoga, "We'll talk when I get back, Ucchan…and don't worry, I will be back, you'll see."

"Ah…okay, Ranchan," Ukyo relented, wondering why she had a sudden sense of premonition, as though something was not quite right about the whole situation, but not having a clearer understanding of why she should feel that way she kept her silence and watched her fiancé depart on his training mission.

"Whew," Ryoga heaved a sigh of relief once they were fully out of sight, "I thought for a minute there that we wouldn't get away…"

"Yeah, me too," Ranma agreed, "Good thing Mom intervened when she did…"

"That's the good thing about your mother, Boy," Genma said, "When she wants to be, she can be very…diverting."

"Huh?" Ranma said, then thought about it and said, "Pop…is that any way to talk about Mom?"

"Some day you'll understand, Boy," Genma replied, hiding a smile as he refrained from further comment on that PARTICULAR area of interest, deciding to save that talk for another, very different training mission…

Continued

Comments/Criticisms/Widespread Circulation: Shadowmane@msn.com