Project A-Ko Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki 1/2 (A Very Scary Thought) ❯ Old Flame... ( Chapter 93 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Nabiki 1/2

(A Very Scary Thought)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Based Upon the Altered Destinies Storyline

Inspired by the works of such fans as

Wade Tritshler

Richard Lawson

James Jones

And Many Others

Standard Disclaimer: This is inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and is not my original creation. All characters belong to her. This is only a fanfictional work, and is not intended to compromise the rights of the original owners, distributors and publishers of the Ranma series. I have no money to spare and would very much appreciate if no one tries to sue me.

"The nerve of those two little ingrates!" Happosai fumed as he struggled to make his way back into town from where he had landed but a short while past, "Doing something like this to their very own Master! That's the trouble with young people these days, no appreciation of their Elders!"

Being sent flying for miles was hardly a new experience for the perverted old man, but to think that the two little orphans he had helped out so very long ago out of the goodness of his heart, training them in the basic lore of the Anything Goes Ryu so that their dainty little feet would be firmly set on the correct path to Martial Arts glory, and now that they were grown up into beautiful young ladies they wouldn't even let him cop a feel or show his appreciation of the way that they were blossoming out from the promising young buds that he so well remembered.

But then again, he supposed he could hardly expect such ingratitude owing to the fact that they took their inspiration from Tendo Nabiki, his greatest disappointment.

"It's all her fault!" he swore as she pressed his way past the overbrush and forested wilderness setting, "The nerve of that renegade apprentice of mine! Encouraging a rebellion in the ranks of my own school…and preferring that old Witch over me…if she wasn't such a cutie, I'd show her what for!"

Bad enough that Nabiki was only half a woman much of the time (BUT OHHH-WHAT A WOMAN THOSE TIMES SHE WAS ONE!!!) but to think that she could usurp the role as head of his own school and show nothing but scathing disrespect for her true and proper Master! Who was it who taught her how to outfox the old woman when it came to that "Cat-Tongue" incident? Who was it who got her to think about the five-way engagement that had managed to assuage the competing claims of Shampoo, Ranma, Ukyo and Perfume? Who had given her the benefit of some of his most advanced techniques and martial arts training? And who had been the victim of one of the most egregious examples of betrayal that had resulted in Nabiki learned the dreaded "Hiryu Shoten Ha" technique?

Er…well…maybe that wasn't such a sterling example, he silently conceded. But it was Nabiki's fault just the same, he instantly rallied, for showing him such gross abuse and disrespect, for which he had decided to teach her a lesson by using the Moxibustion point to strip her of her strength for the duration. Served her right for dissing her Master, forcing her to rely on Ranma for even the simplest gestures (and what a delicious irony that had been, even if the boy was way too "Pussy-whipped" for Happosai's liking), thus humiliating his wayward pupil into what he had hoped would be virtual submission. If not for the spiteful interference of Cologne, teaching Nabiki how to turn an opponent's strength against them, thus bolstering her confidence so that she could challenge and defeat Happosai (after a clever strategy of using some delightfully posed photos in order to tempt him into radiating a battle aura), his plan might have succeeded, teaching the girl some much-needed humility…but nooo! Her defiance had to continue and even increase with each succeeding victory that helped bolster the young girl's already impressive reputation…

The little man was so absorbed into his mental ranting that he almost failed to hear signs of a commotion up ahead of the wilderness path. All at once he heard a massive explosion that was accompanied by a searing wave of intensive Chi that informed him as to the nature of the blast. It was about a kilometer ahead of where he was, meaning that someone was engaged in some pretty advanced martial arts training, and it did not take much imagination to suppose who would be practicing this close to the fringes of Nerima.

Happosai picked up the pace and hurried to the spot where he sensed the blast had originated, but then slowed to a crawl when he caught sight of Nabiki and Cologne, careful not to expose himself to view or allow his own Chi to set off any alarms that would inform the old woman of his proximity to this area of training. Nabiki looked poised, composed and alert, dressed in her usual Chinese style of sleeveless shirt and trousers, barefoot yet poised on the balls of her feet as if ready for action.

Happosai's eyes narrowed as he looked on from concealment, silently evaluating what he could make out of the technique that Nabiki was presently mastering. He felt the rising currents of Chi once again center in the girl's psychic Chakras, and then Nabiki launched herself forward, executing a lightning kick that discharged the accumulated Chi in the form of a ki-bolt that lanced through the air and struck a boulder that stood fifteen meters away, shattering it as effectively as if it had been struck with a Bakusai Tenketsu.

The old man silently nodded. An effective technique indeed, if far from the most awesome that he had ever witnessed.

"That was definitely an improvement," Cologne remarked, "But you're still not fully concentrating on the goal at hand, Daughter-in-law. Your mind keeps drifting away from your training…"

"I'm sorry, Grandmother," Nabiki sighed, "I am doing my best, but…I just can't seem to keep my mind off of Ranma. His wandering off like that with his old man…and then that stupid challenge the old panda made about Ranma coming back to try and defeat me…"

"It's an honorable enough goal, you must admit," Cologne replied, "And not just because of Amazon traditions. The boy has been feeling a bit down and depressed of late, and this should help him focus more on your upcoming marriage. Even if he only does moderately well, that should put to rest his feelings of inadequacy that have been undermining his confidence of late."

"Inadequacy?" Nabiki reacted, "When have I ever tried to make Ranma-kun feel inadequate, huh? Tell me that!"

"Child," Cologne said patiently, "You're not thinking clearly from the perspective of your fiancée. Ranma has been tremendously supportive of you, far more than I'd expect of a Japanese boy who was raised by his mother. He cares very deeply about you, but he's been fighting a sense of exclusion from you and your relationship with my great-granddaughter, so can you honestly blame him for feeling less of a man and unworthy of your affections?"

"He's not unworthy of me," Nabiki looked down, "But what could I have done that would make him feel like that? I mean…I know I haven't taken as much time as I could have, but with the baby…"

"It is not just the baby, Child," Cologne informed her, "It is the quality of the time that you spend with your proud young buck. Ranma has come to doubt that he is as important to you as you are to him, and that doubt has been gnawing on his pride. He wants to believe that you still care for him despite all your other commitments, but without evidence to reassure him that this is fact and not wishful thinking on his part…"

"What the hell do I have to do to make Ranchan know that I still want him?" Nabiki fumed, "I need him…more than I've ever needed him before, if anybody really wants to know! I love Shampoo and the baby, but without Ranma in my life I…I…I just don't know what I'd do. I can't believe that I actually hurt his feelings by ignoring him…"

"He is a man," Cologne replied, "Men feel a need to demonstrate their worth through deeds, but they want accompanying reassurances to buck up their fragile self-esteem. You need to learn how to cultivate the fine art of stroking his ego by showing him in tiny little ways that you consider him important, even if it were as common a gesture as a compliment, a smile, a pat on the shoulder (or even the rump), anything that suggests in a non-verbal sense that you consider him sexually and personally attractive."

"Ah…yeah, I guess I could try working on that part," Nabiki colored slightly, "Got any special techniques that could work?"

"None more effective than the one he used upon you," the old woman said with a straight face, "That kiss was an instinctive and impulsive gesture on his part, but even I must stand in awe of the power that I saw contained in those lips when they engaged yours in cross-communication."

"Ahhh…" Nabiki hastily looked away as her face now flared a full fledged crimson blush, "Yeah…caught me off guard with that one…sneaky maneuver. I'm gonna have to remember that one…"

"There are many other types you could try," Cologne persisted, "For example…there is the Hug of Warmth and Tenderness, the Caress of the Soft Doe, The Smile of a Thousand Suggestive Charms, and-if all else fails, there is that most dreaded of techniques passed down to Amazons for generations…The Kiss of Absolute and Complete Devotion. I used that one on my first husband, and I can guarantee it was MOST effective in yielding a most happy and fruitful union."

"Ah…" Nabiki considered that for a moment then said, "You must've taught some of that to Shampoo…I think she's got all those katas mastered, and then some."

"Indeed," Cologne replied, "For her they are second nature."

"I guess maybe…a few compliments might be good for telling Ranma how much I appreciate him for being at my side through all of this," Nabiki averred, "That other stuff…yeah…that could work too, I guess…"

"Of course," Cologne smiled slyly, "And then again, you could just simply go to bed with him and let him know in no uncertain terms how much you value him as a man to a woman…"

"Go to…?" Nabiki swallowed, "Hooboy…yeah…guess maybe I need to work that part out. Sham-chan's been giving me some pointers, but to do it with a man…as a girl…"

"Oh?" Cologne turned a crafty look on her apprentice, "Were you expecting to do it as a man with your husband? That would certainly raise a few eyebrows…"

"NOW CUT THAT OUT!" Nabiki reacted, only to see the Matriarch grin back at her in smug satisfaction.

Cologne sobered, "Now this does bring us back to the point that I was attempting to make with you before…your need to relax more and develop a more casual attitude of repose when confronting a troublesome situation. You've been much too serious of late, too tense and too strung out to seriously enjoy life, let alone to train in more and more complex systems. This must prompt me to ask you once again, Daughter-in-law…why do you train at all? And please, no flip answers such as passing the blame upon me for promoting you to intensify your training."

"Well…I guess it all comes down to why I started training in the beginning," Nabiki said, "My father runs a dojo, and at the age of seven I was turned over to Uncle Genma for training in the Saotome Ryu, and…well…over time I've kind of grown to like it…"

"Precisely," Cologne all but pounced on the word.

Nabiki blinked, "I beg your pardon?"

"You enjoy training in the martial arts, do you not?" Cologne clarified.

"Sure," Nabiki said, "Why wouldn't I enjoy it? It builds confidence and makes me limber, and with my skills I can take on just about anyone and win…"

"And yet you are training now to meet a direct challenge issued to you on behalf of Ranma," Cologne said, "He is going to fight with the aim of defeating you and making you his wife by Amazon reckoning. If he succeeds in this, then he will become your husband in all ways but a Japanese legal sense, and that means a simple ceremony will be enough to 'seal the deal,' as you would put it, and make him yours entirely, to do with as a wife may do with a husband."

"Um…" Nabiki started to color once again, "I…well…what are you suggesting? That I throw the fight so the both of us could get married?"

"Hardly that," Cologne mused, "But why would you train to resist him, unless you would enjoy making him 'work' for his victory? If he conquers you in a legitimate contest, then there is no one who could gainsay that he is worthy of being your husband."

"Okay, take two," Nabiki urged, "Who says he's gonna beat me?"

"Would you truly go all out to prevent him from achieving victory?" Cologne asked.

"Well…yeah…I mean…I think…" Nabiki hesitated, "I mean…would it really make Ranma happy if he knows that I didn't go all out in a fight?"

"Think well of that and answer this question," Cologne replied, "Would you invoke an even more obscure Amazon law and assert the rule of a victor to claim him?"

"Huh?" Nabiki said, "I can do that?"

"Do you honestly think our ancestors were so stupid as to insist that only men stronger than us could wind up as our husbands?" Cologne countered, "It is sometimes allowed that a victorious Amazon can claim a husband who has distinguished himself in battle. If Ranma makes a good showing, then he can be rightfully bestowed the honor of being your husband, so defeating him will not actually count as a loss of his husband qualifications."

"That's a relief," Nabiki said, "And I guess that gives me some flexibility here, eh? I don't have to lose and I don't have to throw a fight, but still…the idea of Ranma getting good enough to defeat me in only a couple of weeks…that's just too absurd for words! I mean, Ranchan's good, and a good learner, but still…"

"Are you doubting that his father, the man who taught you the martial arts, will be able to pass on to him some special technique or secret that he has been husbanding to himself all of these years?" Cologne inquired, "Keep in mind that he was trained by Happosai, and for all that worthless, lecherous fool squanders his art in panty raids and assorted other sordid pastimes, even I must acknowledge that he is a Master of the art with few peers."

"So you think the old man knows something that he didn't see fit to teach me, huh," Nabiki growled, "That figures. That fool of a panda used to drag me around into situations that would make Jusenkyo look like a simple obstacle course. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to know that he was keeping secrets behind my back…no doubt telling himself that he'd teach them to me when he thought I was ready."

"But what if he does know something that could make up the distance?" Cologne replied, "Would you be willing to wait and see what new surprises may be in store for you, or will you train to become as powerful as you will need to be to meet any such surprises?"

"What do you think, Granny?" Nabiki growled, "I won't train to beat Ranma, but I'll train any day to beat the old man and whatever scam he's up to with my boyfriend!"

"Then I will ask you this question again," Cologne said gravely, "Why do you train to fight? What motivation do you have to fight beyond thinking of your warrior's pride and any need for self defense or the protection of others, since none of those can apply to the coming battle?"

"Huh?" Nabiki turned to look at the Amazon Elder, "What do you mean? What other reason is there than pride, protection and defense?"

"That is the crux of the matter," Cologne replied, "Your one great deficiency as a fighter, which-not coincidentally-is also the cause of your recent matrimonial problems. You need to answer that one for yourself before you can truly advance as a warrior…you need to learn within yourself the true cause for training in the martial arts, and then-only then-will you truly be able to call yourself a premier martial artist."

"Hmph," Nabiki sniffed, "You make it sound like a challenge…care to give me a hint?"

"Now Daughter-in-law," Cologne smiled indulgently, "If I did that then it wouldn't be much of a challenge, now would it?"

Happosai decided about this point to withdraw, having overheard enough to know what he had to do, which was to find Genma and then Ranma and add his two cents worth to their training. From the sound of things, it seemed that the legendary five-way marriage alliance was coming apart due to the obstinacy of his mule-headed apprentice, and it would be up to Happosai to rescue the marriage that would unite the two branches of the Anything Goes school (and-not incidentally-provide Happosai with a delicious way of paying back his uppity heir in an appropriate manner). If he could get to Ranma in time to train him, then what Happosai had just the thing he needed to spark the boy into doing his best.

And besides which, Happosai had a pretty good idea of just what sort of training Genma had in mind for his boy. There was one trick in the arsenal of the one who had been (formerly) his favorite disciple, back during the days when Saotome and Tendo elders had trained together under the watchful eyes of their loving master. Genma had sealed the art away for fifteen long years, but if Happosai knew anything about the old panda-man, he knew that Genma would have kept his skills in sharp focus…just in case they were needed.

Happosai knew his pupil well. Of the two men who had once called him their Sensei, Genma was the one who had demonstrated the greatest potential of being a worthy heir to the Anything Goes Ryu. Soun had been a promising candidate in the beginning, but the fool had thrown away all hopes of becoming a true Master in favor of a domestic life with his wife and family. Soun never did learn how to balance the two off of one another, while Genma had opted to train his son and invest in him all hopes for the future. That wish had been side-tracked when Soun had traded Genma's son for one of his daughters, thereby making Nabiki the heir to both systems of the Anything Goes school. Genma was the one who valued the art above all else (save only his fool hide, of course). Coward and fool that he was, he was certainly worthy of becoming a full Master.

And now he had the chance to repair the mistake of leaving his son to Soun's inadequate training. Genma knew that his boy needed something powerful to make up for the slack that had allowed Nabiki to pull ahead of him as a martial artist. The girl was quick, clever and apt to pick up new systems rapidly, but she had a tendency towards overconfidence that could leave the door open to an unexpected upset. All it took was giving the boy the right sort of edge that could restore his confidence and self-esteem to what it had been before he had first met the girl named Tendo Nabiki.

The Umisenken and Yamasenken might be the edge that he needed, and with a bit of a tweak on the part of Happosai…well…it could very well be that Nabiki was due for a much-needed comeuppance…

Sakura's "trailer" proved to be a somewhat more luxurious place than a typical mobile home, hardly surprising since she was effectively the "Boss" of a traveling circus that she had inherited from her father. The bedding on which Ryoga and Ranma currently rested was ample enough for two as the boys convalesced from their recent injuries, while Genma looked on with a particularly fatherly interest.

"On the whole you boys were lucky," Genma remarked, "If you'd been any less well trained or in anything less than perfect physical condition, those injuries you sustained might have killed you. Good thing for you both that Ryu wasn't in the mood to take your lives, though he might well have done so had he been using his full effort."

"C-Coulda fooled me, Pop," Ranma winced, still feeling his bruised ribs, "Felt like he was gonna crush me there…and Ryoga…"

"I'll be fine, don't worry," Ryoga said as he stared up at the ceiling, "He just got in a lucky blow…with a few hours rest I'll be back to normal…"

"Don't be a fool, Boy," Genma snapped, "You're lucky he didn't crush your heart with the Iron Fingers blow. Your muscles and bones would have proven small protection had he gouged straight through your hide to your center. The truth is you dove in like he was just some common street hoodlum and left yourself wide open to his counter-attack…and a mistake like that with a master of the Yamasenken could well have proven fatal to you both…"

"Gee, Pop," Ranma said, "Couldn't you have given us a little warning that he knew the Yamasenken? The way he took apart that grizzly…"

"Son," Genma sighed, "The Yamasenken is a powerfully aggressive style that is designed to overwhelm the defenses of an opponent, to penetrate through those defenses and to take by force and subdue any enemy you encounter. Kumon Ryu has obviously devoted his whole life to mastering this system, so engaging him with ordinary tactics is not only foolhardy, it's suicidal."

"So how do we fight him, Pop?" Ranma asked, "That Umisenken you were talking about?"

"It's the Shadow School, the quieter alternative to the Yamasenken," Genma replied, "And I'll teach it to you once the both of you are recovered…"

"Hello!" called a pleasantly feminine voice as the lady Ringmaster named Sakura entered her own trailer, "Are you boys decent in here? How fares our two fallen heroes?"

Ranma turned his head (the only part of him that didn't hurt) and saw again their beautiful lady host, whose long brown hair and near-perfect complexion gave her a radiant allure that defied any age description. She had a friendly, warm appeal to her that set one at ease, though Ranma was far from mollified as he immediately wondered at the woman's relationship to his father.

"They're doing fine, Sakura-chan," Genma replied gravely, "Despite their injuries, they'll be up and running at full bore in close to no time."

"I should hope so," Sakura mused as she came up to join the trio, "Or else that challenge you gave to that Kumon fellow will be for nothing. Oh my…did he actually rip a hole like that in your shirt?"

"Sort-of," Ryoga could not manage to move more than his eyes as he turned to look at the Circus Mistress, "Sorry to be such a bother…"

"Oh, it's no trouble at all," Sakura smiled grandly, "Not for the sons of an old friend like Genma-chan…"

"Genma-chan?" Ranma repeated.

"I'm…not his son, Ma'am," Ryoga replied, "Ranma is…"

"Oh?" Sakura inclined her head with a curious expression, "Are you so sure of that? You boys look enough like each other that you could practically be twins…"

"No way…" Ranma grunted.

"Him…look like me?" Ryoga countered, "No chance…"

"Oh," Sakura's shoulders slumped, "And here I thought you might be the son of my old friend, Atsuko. I can see a close resemblance to you…"

"He's Atsuko's boy, Sakura," Genma assured her, "Ranma's Nodoka's son…"

"Oh…so you married her after all, eh?" Sakura said slyly, "I would have put better odds on either Atsuko or Comb being the ones who finally nailed you. Ah well…life is certainly full of surprises…"

"Huh?" Ranma blinked, "Who's Comb? And who are you, lady?"

"Kho-Hom?" Sakura replied, "She's an Amazon…or she was, way back when, I can hardly remember. As for me, I'm Sanosuke Sakura, and I own the Cherry Blossom Traveling Circus, where you are presently visiting. Twenty years ago, however, this circus belonged to my father, and I was but a humble Fortune Telling girl who doubled as both an acrobat and stage illusionist. I still put those skills into use, thanks in part to the experiences that I lived through back when Genma and his friend, Soun, were a part of my existence."

"You knew Mister Soun?" Ryoga asked.

"Knew him and his own coterie of feminine well-wishers," Sakura smiled, "Which reminds me…where is little Nabiki? I haven't seen her since she was here last…oh, some five years back."

"Nabiki is back at home with her father," Genma replied, "She's engaged to marry my son. I was taking Ranma and his friend Ryoga on a training mission while Nabiki trains at home and spends time with her family."

"I see," Sakura nodded, "Well then, it's so nice to meet the young man who will make little Nabiki a fine husband. He is a handsome young rogue at that…are you sure that you're his father? Just kidding!" she chuckled softly while making a deferring hand gesture.

Genma frowned but said nothing, while Ranma asked, "Just what kind of relationship did you two have together? Were you and Pop…?"

"That…would be telling," Sakura smiled, "Let's just say I was never that serious a contender. You don't need to worry that your father did anything untoward that his mother didn't know of. Nodoka was every bit the lady as I remember…" she sighed, "Such fun times those were…life was very exciting."

"I'll bet," Ryoga sighed, "Did you really know my mother?"

"Oh yes," Sakura smiled, "She even, for a time, came to work for this circus. She was very strong and a good illusionist, a perfect act to draw in the crowds, and so very beautiful," she sighed, "True she was a little wild around the edges, but she was a very good friend and I genuinely liked her."

"And you also knew Nabiki?" Ranma asked.

"Oh yes," Sakura smiled, "Such a bright and inquisitive child, very talented and highly athletic. She briefly came to work for us when she and Genma were looking for employment. She worked as an acrobat riding some of our horses, but…I seem to recall that she was afraid to get anywhere near to the lion cages…very odd that…"

Ranma glared at his father, who had the good graces to look elsewhere.

"Still and all," Sakura continued, "It's good to see you again under any circumstances, Genma-chan. Having you around…why, it's just like reliving the old days when life was one big happy adventure!"

"You really did know Mom and Uncle Saotome back then and later on, working in this circus?" Ryoga asked.

"Knew them and learned a lot from them," Sakura beamed as she produced a deck of cards from seeming nowhere and flashed them from one hand to the other, the cards almost rippling through the air in the space between her hands, "Anything Goes Martial Arts Slight of Hand, my specialty and stock-in trade profession. Pick a card, any card! Draw from the deck and reveal your future!"

"I'll pass," Ranma said when a card detached itself the deck and landed on his chest face-up. Another card did the same thing with Ryoga, who picked it up and held it where he could read it.

"The Strength Card?" Ryoga asked in wondering tones.

"Sign of inner strength and hidden talents," Sakura replied, "You are struggling from within with a deep and powerful question that has the potential of upsetting your entire world view. You need to let go and allow yourself to gain focus, concentration and release of that potential. And your card, Saotome Ranma?"

"Mine says 'The Chariot,'" Ranma frowned, "What kind of crazy card deck is this? Doesn't look like anything that I've ever played with…"

"It's the Tarot, Son," Sakura revealed brightly, "A special kind of deck created by Gypsy Fortune Tellers hundreds of years ago in old Europe. It's actual origins were inspired by Jewish Cabalism…twenty two cards form the Major Arcana, fifty two in the Minor Arcana, which corresponds to the regular playing cards that have been used throughout the world. Dissident Cathers created them to hide the key points of their religion from the ravages of the Catholic Inquisition, and they were passed down as a harmless tool of divination ever since. The card you're holding corresponds to the inner dynamic of Reason and Emotion that every person struggles with on a daily basis. The Charioteer is attempting to steer his way by keeping tight rein on the creatures that are pulling him along, represented by a pair of Sphinxes, one white, one black, one Emotion, the other Reason. It means that you're facing an inner struggle between your desires and your beliefs, and unless you can bring them both under control they will run wild under you and carry you to places you've never even dreamed existed."

"And what does all that mean?" Ranma asked.

"Hey, that's for you to figure out," Sakura winked, "I just give the interpretations, you're the one who had to apply them."

"I've heard about and seen the Tarot cards in action," Ryoga revealed, "The Gypsies in Eastern Europe swear by them…but I'm not sure I put much stock in things like fortune telling and divination."

"Never be too sure of anything, Boys," the Ringmistress winked at them, "It's a sign of weakness. There's more under Heaven and Earth than is dreamt of in your philosophies. I know for a fact that magic is real, and your mother was very real to me during our days when we hung around together. Now…let's see which card best suits you these days, Genma dear…eh?" she stared at the card that she drew from the deck, "The Temperance card? Now that's odd…with you it's usually the Tower Struck by Lightning…"

"I've…tried to put some of that behind me," Genma said rather sheepishly, "The old me…the one you knew, tended to rush into things without thinking about the consequences. I'd…like to think I'm a bit wiser than that these days…"

"Well, I certainly hope that you have changed for the better," Sakura mused as she reshuffled the deck then made the cards vanish, "As it is, I'm amazed that you've lived so long with the kind of mischief that you used to get into with Master Happy."

"That makes two of us," Genma sighed, "By the way…about that sake…"

"I don't keep it in my own trailer, if that's what you were expecting," she winked, "I know by now you've already looked, but I'll fetch it for you in a little while. Right now I've got loads of errands to run…after all, this is a circus, and the show must go on. You boys get some rest and I'll have dinner sent up to you, and you-Saotome Genma-and me will sit down and have a good drink while we talk about the old days."

"It better just be talk, old man," Ranma growled.

"Have some respect for your father," Genma snapped, "I'd never cheat on your mother behind her back."

"That's true," Ryoga replied, "Because you know what she would do to you with that sword of hers if she ever found out."

"Too true," Genma's shoulders slumped in resignation, but he saw Sakura wink at him before leaving the trailer, and for some reason that did cheer him up…somewhat.

"The heck with resting," Ranma said as he tried to sit up, then thought better of the effort and slumped back down onto the mattress, "What can you tell us about the Umisenken, Pop? Why is it so forbidden?"

Genma glanced away, "Part of the story you already know…I gave the Yamasenken scroll to Ryu's father and it led to his death. I've tried putting that fact behind me for fifteen years, only to see his boy looking for vengeance, and the Umisenken."

"But why seal the knowledge up?" Ryoga asked, "Is it just because it's such a dangerous system?"

"Partly that, but partly because…well…" Genma hesitated, then he spoke again saying, "Remember…I was a different man back then, and under the influence of the Master. I came up with the idea for the scrolls during a raid when…it just came to me in a flash, like an inspiration from some god of mischief. The Yamasenken is the raw distillation of the Art when used for unlawful purposes. It works upon one simple principle…viewing the human body as if it were a house in which you can force an entry."

"Forced entry?" Ranma repeated.

In reply, Genma pulled out the scroll and unrolled it, holding it up before the two boys so that they could see the illustrations, "Take a look, Son…and you too, Ryoga. Never mind the crude handwriting, you can see how I drew an analysis between a house and a human body. Everything that is in the Yamasenken works from that principle, and the rest is an elaboration."

Ranma was able to move his hands to where he could hold the scroll and steady it horizontally, and then he scanned the pages of martial arts moves and gradually came to a conclusion, "Hey…you're right! This is just like breaking into a house and tying up the people in side there…"

Ryoga reached across his body with one hand and took the end of the scroll as they further unrolled it, revealing more of the secrets therein contained, "Oh…not only that, look how that Welcome Gate Iron Fingers maneuver that he used on me can be employed to smash in a lock and rip a door off its hinges."

"Heck, the Fierce Tiger Opening Gate Blow smashes in a front gate or could tear a wall down with sheer brute force, and that Demon Deep Sea Chasm thingie is for taking out any guards who might be standing at a distance…and here's that In the Pocket Round Hug Death thing he used to almost break my back and crush me to death…it's used to remove a support pillar and literally bring down a house…"

"And that's not all…" Ryoga continued to scan the rest of the scrolls contents, "Kami-sama…you can do all that just thinking of a the body as souse?"

"That and more," Genma nodded, "But, as I said before, I came up with the Umisenken as a counter to all of those maneuvers. It has both defensive and offensive applications, whereas the Yamasenken is purely an attack system."

"Then what happened to it?" Ranma asked, "Did you lose it when you sealed it?"

"Hardly," Genma reached into his gi once again and pulled out a second scroll, "I left it in the safe keeping of your mother. Here it is, just as soon as you boys are ready."

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Ryoga asked, "Please show it to us, Uncle."

"Not so fast," Genma growled, "First you will study the Yamasenken and commit it to memory, and then-AND ONLY THEN-will I teach one of you the Umisenken. Ranma will master it and practice it on you, Ryoga, and then you will learn it from him, and then the both of you will take a solemn vow never to use this knowledge for any dishonorable purposes. Only in that manner will I know for certain that this knowledge won't be abused in the future."

"I'm ready now," Ranma said impatiently, then thought a moment before saying, "But…I guess I still gotta rest a bit first, huh?"

"Your body will heal in good time, Son," Genma replied as he took back the Yamasenken scroll and wound it up before depositing it back in his gi with the Umisenken, "For now, just think about what you saw on the scroll and how the both of you will master it. They'll be time enough for the rest later on."

"Sure thing, Pop," Ranma sighed, feeling his ribs and satisfied that they were not as sore as they had been the last time he had checked.

"I won't be able to rest until I've pounded that Kumon Ryu's face in the dirt," Ryoga growled, also rubbing his own wounded side, "But…I guess I could use a few more minutes for this to stop aching."

Genma nodded, satisfied that his two young wards would be recovering their bearings. They were young, strong and resilient, and both had been trained (in the early phases, at least) in the "Touched Soul" method that allowed a martial artist to maximize their full hidden potential-which also had the side effect of allowing them to heal quicker than an ordinary person. Now it was time for him to intensify their training in that area, to bring out their full hidden potential by subjecting them to at least the same extent that he had once used in training Nabiki. All he needed was a few more minutes of preparation and then they would be fine…better than fine, as a matter of fact, which prompted Genma to smile as he slowly brought the palms of his own hands together and started concentrating on his own ki, summoning up the force that he would require for stimulating the boys in the accelerated method.

Silently he was proud that two such fine young men would be studying to redeem his own mistake from his long-ago tarnished past, a mistake embodied by the vengeful young man named Kumon Ryu. Hopefully this would either lead to the end of the Yamasenken, or perhaps its transformation into something more benevolent and beneficial to society. He certainly hoped that was the case, because the thought of someone as misguided as Ryu possessing full knowledge of both halves of the Senken was a nightmare that Genma did not even want to have to visit.

He could not, in good conscience, permit such a thing to happen. He had used the Senken unwisely in the past, and someone else had paid the price. Now that he had a chance of redeeming his long-lost honor he could also once again take pride in himself as a martial artist. No more would he simply be known as "Genma the Destroyer," he would finally be able to give something back to the world and the art that he loved so well, and insure that the Anything Goes school would be remembered as an honorable system. But only if Ranma and Ryoga proved true to his hopes and expectations.

He stared at the aptly-named "Lost-Boy," who had long reminded him of another he knew and remembered so well. What was Atsuko up to these days, and what sort of man had she finally married? Whoever he was, he was a very lucky fellow (not to mention probably a lot hardier than Genma had been when having to endure one of Atsuko's too-affectionate "Bear Hugs") and Genma even envied him for having a son as dutiful and respectful to others as Ryoga. (Not that there was anything wrong with Ranma, but the boy did tend to be a tad bit more rebellious…)

Genma sighed, knowing that it would still be a few hours before the boys were in any shape begin their training, and first he intended to get them primed for the experiences that they would have to undergo if they were to maximize their potential. They had a lot of work to do, and only three days in which to do it, even shorter time than he knew it would take to prepare Ranma for his upcoming battle against Nabiki. So many things to show his son, and in such a short time that losing even half a day was enormously irritating.

Still, the abject lesson was bound to sharpen the boys' reflexes and wits, making them aware of just how far they had to come before they were ready for "The Big Leagues." Certainly Genma could identify with the impatience and impulsiveness of the two young men eager to endure any hardship in the pursuit of their art. Genma and Soun had been much the same way when they were young men in pursuit of a dream (while-it should be admitted-they were also frequently being pursued by an angry posse).

[Ah, Nabiki,] he thought to himself in quiet reflection, [Forgive me that I denied you this training, but I knew that you were not ready, and I had promised your father that I would spare you the worst of what we had to endure under our Master. You might not have turned out so well if presented with the enormous temptation that the Umisenken has to offer. But I know my son will be able to handle the responsibility of what I must entrust to his safekeeping…my greatest achievement in the art-other than you-and the source of my greatest folly…]

Somehow, he knew, the ghost of his old friend, Kumon Omi, would be watching from heaven to see what would come about as a consequence of the coming battle between Ryu and Ranma, and Genma knew that the outcome was far from an assured thing, full of variables and uncertainties that even Nabiki would concede were pretty long odds given the amount of work that would need to be done in order to turn Ranma into the fighter that he was meant to be by the fates. Some sacrifices would be in order, and Ranma might well balk at some of the implications in store for his training, but Genma was confident that, in the end, his boy would be man enough to succeed where his father had fallen short in his own training.

Ranma would prevail or know the consequences, and so would Genma, who had made many promises to his wife, the boy's mother, the failure of which to fulfill was simply not to be contemplated. The fate of the Saotome School itself would hang in the balance, to say nothing of the impending marriage of his son to Nabiki…and in total honesty, Genma was not certain which woman's wrath he would fear more should anything untowards happen to his son…Nodoka's…or Nabiki's…

Continued

Comments/Criticisms/Regional Currency Exchanges: Shadowmane@msn.com